Spelling and Grammar Standards

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We are still missing the "while" vs "and" discussion, which I will illustrate with a small example.

Move 1: Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice

Flamethrower hits Steel-types hard, while Hidden Power Ice deals with those pesky 4x weak Dragons.

• Notice here there is an option: both moves are not used on the same set.

While Sunny Day is on the field, Flamethrower deals more damage.

• Here "while" indicates "at the same time that Sunny Day is on the field".

Move 1: Flamethrower
Move 2: Hidden Power Ice

Flamethrower hits Steel-types hard, and Hidden Power Ice deals with those pesky 4x weak Dragons.

• Using "while" here suggests you choose between Flamethrower and HP Ice, when in fact the set advises you use both moves. Therefore, you should use "and".

Only use "while" to indicate something happening at the same time or contrast. Basically, would it make sense if you replaced "while" with "whereas"? If not, don't use it.

Also, for this:
  • Do not write an analysis in a form that puts emphasis on changes by generation. This includes avoiding phrases such as "With the advent of BW," "With the newly introduced Fairy-types," and "With the new ability to Mega Evolve."
It would make more sense for BW to be XY :>

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We are still missing the "while" vs "and" discussion, which I will illustrate with a small example.

Move 1: Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice

Flamethrower hits Steel-types hard, while Hidden Power Ice deals with those pesky 4x weak Dragons.

• Notice here there is an option: both moves are not used on the same set.
Only use "while" to indicate something happening at the same time or contrast. Basically, would it make sense if you replaced "while" with "whereas"? If not, don't use it.
Incorrect. Here, "while" is not the correct word choice, "whereas" is the one you're looking for. You are being presented with a choice. "while", along with "since" should strictly only be used for chronological purposes. For contrasts / differing choices, use "whereas", "although," and "but".

In short; whenever you are planning to use the word "while", replace that with the phrase "but in this period of time," and see if what you're saying still makes sense.

While on this subject; there is no difference between while and whilst. They are semantically the same and are interchangeable. Don't be a bundle of sticks.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Incorrect. Here, "while" is not the correct word choice, "whereas" is the one you're looking for. You are being presented with a choice. "while", along with "since" should strictly only be used for chronological purposes. For contrasts / differing choices, use "whereas", "although," and "but".

In short; whenever you are planning to use the word "while", replace that with the phrase "but in this period of time," and see if what you're saying still makes sense.

While on this subject; there is no difference between while and whilst. They are semantically the same and are interchangeable. Don't be a bundle of sticks.
While and whereas are interchangeable in that example though; while can also be used for contrasts / choices according do Google / Wiki / dictionary entries.

Could Kyurem-B, Kyurem-W, Meloetta-P, Landorus-T, Thundurus-T, and Tornadus-T be added to the list of formes? I've seen Kyurem-Black pop up a couple times recently.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is something I've been wondering about: is it defensively inclined or defensively-inclined? Normally "ly" words aren't hyphenated as a result of being adverbs, but in cases like "a defensively inclined team", you would never just say "an inclined team"--defensively and inclined have to be combined. I've been changing this for a little while and wanted to know what people do about it.

Going off the standards the way they're written now at least, defensively inclined team looks a lot like defensively oriented set from:
  • Do not put a hyphen between an adverb and a noun (Pichu can use a defensively oriented set or a specially based set).
so that would seem like it means no hyphen would be the way to go (you'd never say an oriented set either). Also, I looked up the source of that rule and found this:

Also, regarding super effective, I'd say that it may or may not be hyphenated depending on the context. If used as an adjective before a noun e.g "super-effective moves" I would generally prefer to see it hyphenated. This is generally the case when using two words together as an adjective. Basically, you should change the rule to "super effective is not capitalised".

Note, however, that if one of the words is an adverb, it should never be hyphenated. "Offensively-oriented" is an extremely common error that I think should be added to the op.
so I think probably no hyphen.

"a defensively inclined team" is perfectly fine; an added hyphen would be unnecessary (and imo feels wrong)

http://www.cjr.org/language_corner/sincere-ly_yours.php

Part of the reasoning for not using a hyphen after “-ly” adverbs is that, appearing before a verb as it does, an “-ly” adverb is obviously attached to it, so no confusion is possible. As The Chicago Manual of Style says: “Compounds formed by an adverb ending in ly plus an adjective or participle (such as largely irrelevant or smartly dressed) are not hyphenated either before or after a noun, since ambiguity is virtually impossible. (The ly ending with adverbs signals to the reader that the next word will be another modifier, not a noun.)”
http://www.jeanweber.com/newsite/?page_id=57

“Many style books recommend against the hyphen after adverbs ending in ‘ly,’ and I followed the rule blindly for years before the reasoning behind it became clear to me one day: adverbs ending in ‘ly’ always modify the word immediately following them, so they don’t require a hyphen to indicate which word they modify (‘neatly dressed woman,’ ‘hastily prepared remarks,’ ‘readily available materials’).

“But in sentences with compound adjectives, the first adjective sometimes modifies the next word and sometimes modifies a later word. For example, in ‘small college professor’ the word ‘small’ might modify ‘college’ but it could also modify ‘professor.’ If the former is true, adding a hyphen after ‘small’ makes the meaning clear.”

in other words, it's obvious that the word 'defensively' modifies the word 'inclined', because it cannot possibly modify 'team'.

in contrast the phrase "the curly-haired dog" would have to be hyphenated because 'curly' is not an adverb and could easily (well, _grammatically_, at any rate) be modifying 'dog'

edit: asdfkjhdskcdf, melvni

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, it seems the standards are right then. I don't think the rare case that sirn posted should ever come up with use of adverbs, but it's good to keep it in mind I suppose.

V-create's spelling has been changed to "V-Create". The waitress in Le Wow talks about a chef using it to prepare deserts after you get three stars and then an additional perfect.
This is from the Victini research thread. It might be good to get visual confirmation, but if this is true V-Create should be removed from

• The following applies for the capitalization of specific moves:
    • Abilities or attacks that consist of two words but that fit the 12-letter restriction (Sunny Day, Zen Headbutt, Mold Breaker, etc.) are written with a space in between and with both words having an initial capital letter.
    • All attacks having a dash (Wake-Up Slap, X-Scissor, etc.) are written with the word after the dash also capitalized. U-turn and V-create are the only exceptions to this rule.

Now that I actually have a victini, I can confirm that BOTH variations are used. The capital C is used by the waitress and the lowercase c is on the move itself. I can screencap both if needed.

Is "volt switcher" or "u-turner" an accepted term or should it stick as "x user"?
Looking back at page three of the fifth gen thread, it looks like people decided things like Volt Switcher at the very least sounded worse than Volt Switch user, and you should use the latter. Makes sense to me.

Unrelated note: I don't know if they're formes, but could the correct names for the Gourgeist sizes be added somewhere.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well there's 4 Gourgeist: Small, Average, Large, and Super.

Probably do: Gourgeist-Sm, Gourgeist-A, Gourgeist-L, Gourgeist-Su

Or we could have Gourgeist-Small and Gourgeist-Super. Personally I prefer the first version.

Don't forget this also applies to Pumpkaboo!

The other alternative is having Small Gourgeist, Average Gourgeist, Large Gourgeist, Super Gourgeist, like [type] Arceus.

I think I've seen Gourgeist-S, Gourgest-A (maybe, I don't think I've actually ever seen this one tbh), Gourgeist-L, and Gourgeist-H. Whatever it is, it would be good to standardize it; at least the super size one is going to be popping up a lot in analyses I'm sure.

I was just suggesting that because that was what was used in the previews. I personally don't mind what they're called.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
S M L XL? haha jk :p

Gourgeist-Average should be just written as Gourgeist imo. http://pokemonshowdown.com/dex/ then Gourgeist-A can be use to cover all formes besides Average like the case for Rotom? Or would that be too confusing lol. Spelling them fully sounds good with me since we already do that with Arceus. Sm and Su is so weird :c

ok

this is something that actually needs to be standardized and i'm not sure why it isn't: 100/100/100 defenses - spaces or n between the stats? i would go with no - i'd always had the impression it wasn't, the old damage calc format (iirc) had it written as, say, "252/252+ Blissey" - but, yeah, as i can't find them anymore, if everyone would rather swap to spaces idm that either.

incidentally, could we standardize that too and put it in the OP: Volcarona's Fire Blast OHKOes 252/252+ Parasect - i don't see much of a need to write out the stats (hp, relevant defense, effect of nature) as they should be implied really

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/milotic and http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/volcarona - could someone who knows how to scms anymore do me a huge favor and ctrl+f "base" and fix just about every other instance there KTHNX ily

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Iirc Ogles once said that the spaces are only used when you list out the EVs, so anything else is not spaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)