Spikey or Thorny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GIVEAWAY IS OVER!

Hey Smogon, this is my first ever giveaway and let me start off by saying I know it's not the best.

My Poke-Buddies and I have been having some LC fun and for that I bred a couple pokemon that I hope you guys will enjoy. I don't RNG or really IV breed but I got some decent hatches.

The premise is simple, I've formulated an argument through some research on the educational value of Pokemon Games. I wrote a research paper on how Pokemon facilitates learning in the areas of Math and Literacy.

For Example: The name Aerodactyl directly reflects upon the Pterodactyl, a link that even children can even make. Also Teddiursa consists of two main roots: Teddi- and -Ursa. Teddi- obviously refers to Teddy and -Ursa is the scientific name for Bear, thus Teddy Bear.

A simple answer to this question will get you a Pokemon: What educational value do you believe lies in Pokemon Games?

Best answer gets the special prize along with one more choice of Pokemon.
(Hint) The best answer will most likely have to have an explanation.

Just post your thoughts for a pokemon. Max of 30 winners. (3 Distributors please)

On to the Pokes:

Spikey

Name: Spikey Jr.
OT: Michael (Me)
Level: UT 1
Nature: Brave :pimp:
Ability: Sand Veil
Item: Plume Fossil
Characteristic: Likes to Fight
IV's: 14/23/9/14/9/14

Moveset:
Poison Sting
Leer
Seed Bomb
Bullet Seed

The IV's are pretty bad but a random shiny hatch!!!!
Also available as:
Spikey

(Same Pokemon different name)
Level: UT 33
Item: Cover Fossil

Moveset:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Bullet Seed

Thorny

#1:
Name: Thorny Jr.
OT: Reyes (Me)
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Absorb Bulb
Characteristic: Somewhat Vain
IV's: 21/15/24/15/31/15

Moveset:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Bullet Seed

#2.
Name: I'm Thorny
Nature: Careful
Item: Focus Sash

Moveset:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Bullet Seed

Also available as:

#1.
Name: Thorny
Level: UT 40
Item: Heart Scale

Moveset:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Power Whip

#2.
Name: R-U-Thorny
Nature: Careful

Moveset:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Power Whip

And the special prize for the Best Response:

Zorua Event Celebi (Still completely untouched)

Name: Celebi (In Japanese)
OT: Japanese (Received from a friend who studied abroad in Japan)
Level: UT 50
Nature: Timid
Ability: Natural Cure
IV's: 30/30/30/30/31/30

Distributor:
Skillz

Winners:

skillz
Uber effective- Spikey Jr.
2. Desolution- Thorny
3. Sy123- R-U-Thorny
4. Yoshi-
Thorny
5. GoldChico- Thorny
6. DizzyDrone- Spikey Jr.
7. Pink Floyd-
Thorny
8. Daena- Spikey
9. drown panda- I'm
Thorny
10. Felix-
Thorny
11. digipoke1- Spikey
12. Kepperino-
Spikey
13. Fireworks- Spikey Jr.
14. Bluecaptain-
Thorny
15. julios- Thorny Jr.
16. Jeff.sanford- Thorny
17. rustysneakers- Spikey

Mikereyes
18. smogo-
Spikey Jr.
19. Enraikou- Spikey Jr.
20. legendary master- Thorny
21. Nicholas Magnum- Spikey Jr.
22. Aquadon- Thorny
23. mannyfanaz- Spikey
24. Kingoftricks- Thorny
25. Charizard is a G- Thorny
26. XEELT- Thorny
27. RuneJack- Spikey Jr.
28. Robot Legs- Thorny
29. Uber effective-
Spikey Jr.
30. Waffles 101- Thorny

Felix--you are the winner of the celebi. I will distribute that to you personally.

RobotLegs- I enjoyed reading your answer so much that I will give you something special---not sure what it is yet. Just bring an extra whack pokemon.

I won't be able to distribute today but just pm me with your available times. 1-17 contact skillz, I will try and get him the pokes today. 18-30 contact me by PM to set up times starting tomorrow.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've found that a lot of the things I've seen in Pokemon have helped me out a lot.

Like in the spelling be I got the word "cascade", and I knew how to spell it from Misty's gym badge =P

The game's got a lot of cool word play and lots of fun facts and things.

Many things like water kills fire etc etc
Many spellings
Eagerness to know meanings of many words
Many more things
Also i am able to distribute
a spikey jr please

Same post, better signature!

Mmkay, an answer for you off the top of my head!

The most common age range for people playing pokémon would probably be around 14-20 right now, as these are the people who grew up while pokémon was most mainstream, so I'll focus on the educational benefits for that group mainly.

More than any game I know, pokémon games highly emphasise effort and reward, which is a vital concept to learn at any age, especially this particular age-group who are just taking their first steps into adult life. I remember myself, after weeks of planning, researching, collecting breeding partners from my friends' games, and battling my way through the Battle Frontier's many modes, finally completing my first team, and the extreme rush of satisfaction this gleaned. Friends tell me of similar experiences.

Unlike a lot of modern games (Minecraft is exempt from this example), these games nver hand you toys without making you earn them, with every high-power TM, or powerful item being hard-earned, with at least one hoop that the player has to jump through to earn their reward. It also takes careful planning, with cross-examination of strengths and weaknesses, to formulate a good team, an extremely important skill in later life.

So to conclude, the pokémon games teach perserverance, effort/reward, and the rewards of planning and analysis, an important lesson that children often miss when it's forced down their throats.

Edit: Pokémon preference:
Cel.... Ferrothorn
#1.

And thank you very much for the giveaway!

The educational value of Pokemon Games:

The Pokemon Franchise have generally been focused upon children generally with an age of 8-12. This is due to the need to read to understand a lot of the games.
This brings us to our first topic, reading. When we are put into the pokemon world, we are given an introduction albeit a lengthy introduction, if someone who doesnt know about pokemon, or knows very breifly they would like to know what the Proffessor is saying 'welcome to the world of pokemon....'. Throughout the game we are given new moves, new rivals and most of the time a new villany team, and all through the process of text being displayed. With no dialogue at all its up to the player to know what they are saying. THis exteneded time of reading, will slightly increase the child's reading ability which is very important at their stage of life. However the educational value in this form is minimal there are many other pieces of educational value with Pokemon games.

The biological basis on which pokemon games develop upon is very significant, the child is given over 600 pokemon to choos from, a lot of them looking like something theyve see before (like a bird or a plant). This in turn with some rather obvious name origins gives the player an idea of what that pokemon is based on. Take a rather simple one, Tepig, it looks like a Pig and even has a pig in its name. However its last form Embroar takes the form of a boar, and the player should know what a boar is too. Due to them being related they could assume the pig and boar are related according to theory. Snivy, a snake like pokemon with legs, evolves into a full snake like pokemon, giving the player an idea that once snakes had legs as well.

Thanks for the giveaway, I hope I win

Sorry for not specifying what I want, I thought, you were picking it for us depending on how good our input is. Anyways I pick R-U-Thorny (The Careful Ferrothorn)

And also did you like my input as well?

Pokemon games have an incredibly large range of audiences it can entertain. Children can pick up the game and play with their favorite pokemon often times using terrible movesets and such (fireblast, flamethrower, overheat, slash charizard FTW cuz hes a fire type!). This teaches kids new words and helps them build templates for other aspects of life to a small extent. When you look at things such as ev's and iv's however; you see that pokemon has much more depth to it. Even when you get to battling, you have to learn how to predict what your opponent will do and make smart thought out decisions in order to win. Everything in pokemon is based upon math and understanding these things allow a person to do things such as ev train and RNG. Pokemon has enough to satisfy children as well as hardcore in it to win it gamers.

Ill take the Celebi :D!!! or the Thorny haha

Pokemon can be a very strategic game depending on how you play it and encourages reading and imaginative play. You can see that in the new Pokemon Typing DS.
You can also bring interest in other cultures, like all the legendary pokes based on legends from Jaan, and languages​​. One of the contributions so I could start learning English was the desire to know what was happening in the game, not just go out fighting.
Most Pokemon games can indeed improve the capacity of reasoning strategy and the kids, but can also teach the difference between good and evil, and the importance of friendship
With Black & White, the game can teach how it can be important to follow your dreams, but at the same time wonder if this dream will bring benefits. It can also teach not just think about yourself.

I would like Thorny.

I'm from the Netherlands, and although we learn English as early as 8th grade (11 and 12 year olds), some of my countrymen speak English so poorly that it's worth writing a book about. For those generations before me, that's somewhat understandable as they only really learned English in school.

I'm a bit worried about the next generation though. Recently I see more and more English television shows translated to Dutch while my generation grew up with English television and video games. For most countries, "English as a second language" is one of the most important educational values of both television AND video games such as Pokemon.

Just wondering by the way, where can I find your research paper? I'd be interested in having a look, as my work involves e-learning.

I'd be interested in:
Name: Spikey Jr.
OT: Michael (Me)
Nature: Brave
Ability: Sand Veil
Item: Plume Fossil
Characteristic: Likes to Fight
IV's: 14/23/9/14/9/14

Moveset:
Poison Sting
Leer
Seed Bomb
Bullet Seed

The IV's are pretty bad but a random shiny hatch!!!!

The best educational value for pokemon games is the ability to learning to make tradeoffs. This comes in two forms, move selection and pokemon selection. For moves, the tradeoff can come from choosing a move that has a higher power and lower accuracy for a move that has lower power but a higher accuracy. Tradeoffs also happen in moves when deciding whether to replace a move with another that has either a practical use outside battle, a significant ability, or a move that is able to be super effective against a wider range of foes. The tradeoffs in pokemon happen similarly, with choices depending upon whether the pokemon's stats are higher than the current ones you have, the moves that the pokemon will eventually have, and the time taken to train the pokemon as opposed to keeping the higher leveled but weaker pokemon.

Could I get the relaxed Ferrothorn?

Pokemon taught me to appreciate life.

Seeing those Pokemon being kidnapped by Team Rocket really taught me that my life can be taken away from me in a blink of an eye.

I'd say that these games have a decent educational value, and the educational challenges increase in difficulty as the gamer becomes more determined to train/create the toughest Monsters and the most complicated strategies.

To begin with it can be a relaxing adventure, where kids can just play through story mode with the creatures that esthetically please them the most, learning some lessons on morality and the value of friendship along the way. Later on - especially when taking more difficult challenges, for example going for a big win streak in the Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway – the gamer may need to plan out a more solid strategy in order to do well. This strategy could have to do with finding better team synergy (sharing less weaknesses throughout the team), specializing their roles within the team (Walls, Physical Sweepers, Special Sweepers), or developing a clever gimmick to bypass the opponent’s strength or attempts at synergy (for example, the strategy of using Trick along with stat/accuracy lowering moves on your lead Pokemon and using a stat up move and Substitute on your other two sweepers, allowing one of them a free set up on the enemy which is locked into a less effective move). The amount of possibilities for team members and roles in this sort of intense strategy building is almost limitless.

If the gamer decides to try to aim for an even stronger team, they might start training their creatures with Effort Values in mind rather than just fighting anything to level up. They might find themselves learning about the hidden game mechanics like Individual Values, and start breeding or RNGing to achieve flawless IVs or a specific desirable Hidden Power. Even doing damage calculations to determine how they might need to train something up in order to avoid being OHKO’d by specific threats. Most of this requires a bit of math, and even confuses me sometimes. ^_^

Basically, it can be a fun and leisurely game to play through, or intense and strategic, depending how far down that rabbit hole a gamer decides to go. Your individual experience with the game depends on what you want from it but regardless you’re likely to learn something from it.

(..as an aside note, the mixture used to create species and their names are usually fun to determine as well. Cacturne is likely derived from Cactus and Nocturnal, because it’s a Cactus monster which hunts at night.)

This was fun to write out lol!! If I win one, may I have a Cacturne? ; )

Awesome answers so far guys. For those who have answered please edit your posts to contain exactly which pokemon you guys want!!!! I have to know what you want if you are to get it. I will update winners later today.

For all further posts make sure you also specify your pokemon choice.

Thanks!!

I started pokemon in the 3rd grade I believe. One of the thing I always liked telling people is that the cities are named after colors. I still remember them all! I also loved that you could talk to anyone and they were always kind and/or helpful in always following your dream. It made me want to be that kind to everyone around me and hope they were the same.

Could I get I'm thorny, baby form.

Aiming for the Celebi here, so here I go:

I think the most beneficial value that pokemon games have, educationally wise is that they teach about biology and taxonomy to children. Without a doubt the pokemon themselves are the main attraction of the games, and nobody would deny that all pokemon are imaginary and not real. However, for the most part, the vast majority of pokemon are based on real creatures that exist in our world. By having children playing pokemon games they become familiar with more animals and plants.

Some people already mentioned something similar to what I am saying, but I want to expand on this. Particularly on the fact that pokemon games introduce often obscure creatures to children that have never heard of them before, and wouldn't have otherwise had it not being for the games. The most notable examples I can think of include relicanth being based on the coelacanth, or omanytes based on ammanites. However, pokemon also teaches children information regarding more common creatures that they otherwise would not know. For example, Vulpix is obviously based on a fox, and children are aware of this, but they might not know that Vulpes is the Genus foxes belong to, by playing pokemon, facts like this will be easier for kids to learn.

Finally I wanted to point out that pokemon also teaches children about other cultures and myths. These might not be related to biology, but can still increase a child's knowledge. Some notable examples include how kyogre, groudon and rayquaza are based on the myths of the leviathan, behemot and ziz. Also how Zoroark in based on the Japanese myths of the kitsune. Another example is how charmander is a fire type and a salamander, which relates to the idea of how people used to think salamanders were born out of fires.

It is easy to see just how much potential pokemon games have to educate and instruct children in different matters, from science to social studies. By incorporating pokemon into these subjects, I think that children will more more willing and eager to learn.

I think Pokemon is educational because for the more advance things, such as EV training and IVs, all require a bit of math, and as we all know math is very educational.
Sorry if this is a bit short, it is hard to type on an IPhone.
If this works, I would like Spikey.

Pokémon learns me everything.
I read the 'origin' from a lot of Pokémon to teach myself Biology. :)
IV/EV's and all that stuff is NOTHING but Mathematics.
Walking around with the Pokéwalker is Gymnastics, if that counts. ;)
All the stories about Arceus, Mew and others teach me History.
I can go on for ages about this.
Lovely giveaway. <3

EDIT: I'd like to have Cacturne

It teaches kids that a longing for power will get you nowhere. Such as Ghetsis wanting to control all Pokemon, and Max and Archie's goal ending in chaos. Oh and it teaches a lot of cool stuff through Pokemon basis, such as Elgyem being based of of the Roswell incident, and Sigilyph being based off Nasca Condor.

It also teaches that cock-fighting is good/joke

FC in profile. I've been wanting a Cacnea for such a long time xD

EDIT: Spikey Jr please :3

Pokemon can teach you how to handle money, leading to future responsibility. It also teaches strategy and planning. This planning can help develop the frontal lobe of the brain improving critical decision making and split second decisions.

I would like this cool dude:

#1.

Moveset:
Spikes
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Power Whip

Oh the Pokémon games, so much learning…

Well, the games help children develop their logic as they encourage players to think before they act. The types, strengths, and weaknesses create a huge rock-paper-scissors which can be explored while using the stuff they know (suck as water beats fire, fire melts ice, etc) and including some obscure relations like psychic beats fighting which is based on "brain over brawn" idea. Logic is one of the main things teachers try teaching students in school, I mean, that is the point of having math and forcing students to take algebra and calculus and what not. Also, that is the SAT tests test: logic.

In addition, there's the language used in the games which show great use of English rules, etc, and those names to everything… The use of different Greek and Latin and otherwise roots helps not only to have a better understanding of the English language, but there are also uncommon words which increase the player's vocabulary. Plus, simply knowing the words helps assimilate vocabulary in foreign languages such as Spanish and French (this is my experience) dude to the fact that, even though these languages share lots of similar vocabulary with English and with themselves, there are still words used more in either of them.

If chosen at all, can I get Thorny Jr?

I have played the pokemon games since I was about 5 now and if there is one thing I have learned from it and something that seems to grow more and more with every games increasingly complex storyline is...

That every body and every thing in this world has a place and it should be every ones duty to upkeep that balance between nature and those who transgress upon it. It goes hand and hand with the social and environmental climate of the world today which I am sad to say has lost a lot of these key moral and social values.

I would prefer the big thorny if you see my post as a winner

i think pokemon teaches awesome team work. obviously i won't be enough to always just go with your favorite pokemon (because a team of squirtles may have a tough time fighting erika). Sometimes you have to do what's best for the team and figure out a strategy that will help you overcome all obstacles.

i would like a spikey please

I used my knowledge of fancy sounding colors from first gen i.e cinnabar, pewter, vermilion ect to get extra credit in art class :D

i am home schooled and was doing something on photo synthesis. the only possible way i knew how to spell it was the move synthesis. also i like how ekans is snake spelled backwards, yet arbok is kobra spelled backward, even thouhg its spelled C-obra. how many can i do? i'm new here.

forslass, frost-lass, as in girl, because it has to be a girl to evolve

gardevoir's name in japanese is sirknight, witch is maybe because it can also be a boy despite its girl-like figure

even if i win one, i still just want the spike jr. i think it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)