Tournaments SPL X - ADV Discussion Thread

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
Approved by Lutra

Hey RoA! With SPL X underway, this thread will be used to discuss ADV related topics, whether it's about the players, general metagame trends, matches, predictions and so on. This thread will be updated frequently with each new week, player standings, and replays.

SPL Introduction
SPL Schedule
Auction Logs

ADV Player Cores:

The Wi-Fi Wolfpack - UD (Fear)
The Team Raiders - Jirachee (Soulwind, bro fist)
Dragonspiral Tyrants - Gilbert Arenas (We Three King)
The Alpha Ruiners - Eden’s Embrace (Lavos, Jimmy Turtwing, Hyogafodex)
The Ever Grande BIGs - Golden Sun (Valentine, Kushalos, Nails)
The Circus Maximus Tigers - Zf (Dice, Hclat, 6A9 Ace Matador)
The Stark Sharks - Kevin Garrett ((Mdragon) Tamahome, Conflict)
The Congregation of the Classiest - thelinearcurve (Bedschibaer, Earthworm, baddummy)
The Cryonicles - Veteran In Love (k3nan, ABR, Malekith, Elodin)
The Indie Scooters - Dekzeh (Ojama, robjr, Giara, Century Express, Aeroblacktyl)
(starters bolded)

Power Rankings

(Thanks to people that helped for this to be as accurate as possible)

Last edited:

Heika

is a Pre-Contributor
Match ups for week 1 are out !!

[CONG] thelinearcurve vs Jirachee [RAID]
[CRYO] Veteran In Love vs UD [WOLF]
[RUIN] eden's embrace vs Kevin Garrett [SHRK]
[TYRN] Gilbert arenas vs zf [TGRS]
[BIGS] Golden Sun vs dekzeh [SCTR]

Very diverse match ups, which will allow us to have a better opinion on first run, and on coming back players. The Highlight might be linear vs Jirachee, as linear has had an astounding year perfoming well in solo tours and so being the man to watch this SPL, and Jirachee being a constant player, often seen in top game in SPL. An other game that should be watch is Golden Sun vs Dekzeh as both are making their return after a break.

Replays will be linked in those pairing.

Last edited:
[CONG] thelinearcurve vs Jirachee [RAID] : imo the hl of the week in adv. We got 2 big men in adv, but i think linear could win this match
thanks to the experience accumulated during this amazing year for him

[CRYO] Veteran In Love vs UD [WOLF] : UD vs a player who comeback in adv. Will be interesting to see if VIL can manage to compete with UD, who is a strong player in ADV. I take UD for the constance and because he has done a good year too

[RUIN] eden's embrace vs Kevin Garrett [SHRK] : Imo EE is just to strong for KG

[TYRN] Gilbert arenas vs zf [TGRS] : the match was done but i thought about a win for gilbert arenas... No 5/5 for me haha

[BIGS] Golden Sun vs dekzeh [SCTR] : owo... another big hl in adv ! Two players who were strong, two players who achieved, two players who stopped, two players who came back... imo it's a 50/50 ! Really interested by this match !

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
[CONG] thelinearcurve vs Jirachee [RAID] : I feel he is better in the tier, some 60-40 MU tho, will be a great match.

[CRYO] Veteran In Love vs UD [WOLF] : UD had an insane record last year, VIL is still a super great player and he will be a dangerous opponent. A win from VIL would bring the hype to another level.

[RUIN] eden's embrace vs Kevin Garrett [SHRK] : I love Eden's Embrace, so I hope he will win that. I think he has everything to be one of the best player in the tier this SPL, and one of the best player in the tier ever in some years. GO !

[TYRN] Gilbert arenas vs zf [TGRS] : Gg both

[BIGS] Golden Sun vs dekzeh [SCTR] : True hl, I love both, I'd like to see both win, sadly it's not possible ... Please give people the hype guys !

Heika

is a Pre-Contributor
After some cool games week 1, the week 2 pairings are finally out !

[RUIN] eden's embrace vs Gilbert arenas [TYRN]
[SCTR] dekzeh vs thelinearcurve [CONG]
[BIGS] Golden Sun vs Kevin Garrett [SHRK]
[WOLF] UD vs Jirachee [RAID]
[TGRS] zf vs k3nan [CRYO]

Once again, those match are really promising. Linear against dekzeh is really a promising game, since linear has shown week 1 that he deserved his first place in power ranking with a strong build and strong plays, while dekzeh, despite losing against Golden Sun week 1, should not be considere too crusty yet, as one game is far from enough too judge his current level, and the man is known for bringing team that differs from what you would usually see which make every of his game a cool event to catch.

Feel free to do your own predictions, or to comment anything you'd want to linked to adv in spl.

Last edited:
[RUIN] eden's embrace vs Gilbert arenas [TYRN] - Eden has something to prove and wants to show that he is more that number 10 on the rankings. He seems to be confident and perhaps cocky but this makes him a dangerous player to face. Beating KG is a good start and I think a win over Marcop will be another step in the right direction.

[SCTR] dekzeh vs thelinearcurve [CONG] - Linear had a good showing in week one and I could be totally wrong in this prediction but I think Dekzeh is looking to come to a strong start. I think the first week there was a bit of rust and he will upset linear this week.

[BIGS] Golden Sun vs Kevin Garrett [SHRK] - A win in the first week is huge for GS and I believe it's just what he personally needs to get himself on a roll. This will be close and I think that KG will do his best to try and beat him.

[WOLF] UD vs Jirachee [RAID] - I think UD will take this one rather comfortably judging by the first game he seemed to be playing at a high level and if he keeps it up then he should be able to take this one easily. Definitely an uphill battle for Jirachee who I think personally will start out meh but will improve a ton over the season

[TGRS] zf vs k3nan [CRYO] - Oh ye of little faith on the cryos. I don't know if cutting VIL immediately is the right move. K3nan is coming in cold and so it's kind of hard to predict this match but ZF won last week so I will role with him for rn.

Highlight Matches: Dekzeh vs Linearcurve, Golden Sun vs KG.

Storylines to Watch: Eden taking names

Solid matches this week overall and I hope they end up to be as good as their potential.

Heika

is a Pre-Contributor
And we are here again for week 3, after some really fun games in week 2. This time around, I will start my post with the analysis of [SCTR] dekzeh vs thelinearcurve [CONG]

Linear leaded Zapdos while Dekzeh lead was Metagross, two classic leads, Zapdos not giving much clues about what Linear team could be whereas the Metagross lead in Dekzeh side was announcing some kind of offense. This lead match up being slightly in favor of Zapdos, Dekzeh decided to go on his Regice which would be able to safely take Zapdos attacks, Linear predicted Dekzeh to switch out, and clicked Baton Pass, allowing him to safely go on his Smeargle keeping the momentum. Linear's Smeargle clearly spoiled that he was playing an offense too. Anticipating a switch from Dekzeh on a potential sleep fodder, Linear tried to set up a Substitute but Dekzeh stay and used Ice Beam breaking Smeargle's Substitute suggesting Regice was Dekzeh sleep fodder in the first place. This assumption lead Linear to spore this Regice which was unlikely to switch out and then to Substitute on the incoming Starmie. Dekzeh choosed to retreat his Starmie and to go to his Tyranitar, setting up the Sandstorm, to scout what smeargle could do, while Linear set up a layer of spikes. On the following turn, Linear likely predicted Dekzeh to go back on his starmie to Spin the said spike and used Explosion on the staying Tyranitar. Linear decided to go on his own Tyranitar, while both player decided to stay Linear's Tyranitar outsped Dekzeh's one and revealed Brick Break, claiming the kill.

At this point of the game, both player are down to 5 Pokémons, Dekzeh went on his Starmie and fired off an Hydro Pump on the incoming Linear's Snorlax. Then, Dekzeh decided to Spin with his Starmie as Snorlax landed a Shadow Ball, doing a surprising amount of damage, at the point where it put Starmie in range of the Sandstorm, claiming the kill at the end of the turn. At the death of his Starmie, Dekzeh sent out his Metagross to face Linear's Snorlax, Linear who decided to switch out is Snorlax in favor of Swampert who took 48% on Banded Metagross' Meteor Mash. This time it's Dekzeh's turn to switch out, on his zapdos, to take Swampert Hydro Pump threatening it from an Hidden Power Grass. While Linear decided to switch out not to risk his Swampert's death, going onto Zapdos, Dekzeh's Zapdos used agility and Passed it to Metagross as the opposing Zapdos used Hidden Power Ice. Dekzeh having a monstrous Banded Metagross at +2 Speed, Linear decided to take a Meteor Mash with Zapdos to paralyze it with Thunder Wave. But Dekzeh got an Attack raise on this Meteor Mash meaning Linear had nothing to take the second Meteor Mash that was comming, so he decided to sacrifice his Zapdos to deal as much damage as possible with Thunderbolt.

Both players still have a Pokémon hidden and two Pokémons down but Dekzeh's Metagross is low and paralyzed, and his Regice is sleeping. Linear decided to Revange Kill this Metagross with a Fire Blast from his Tyranitar which connected and took the kill. It was at this moment that Dekzeh decided to reveal his last Pokémon, Ursaring, and to try to set it up with a Sword Dance. What Dekzeh didn't expect was that Linear Tyranitar was a really fast one and outsped Ursaring and threatened it of being 2HKO. In a last hope, Dekzeh switched on Zapdos which took the incoming Brick Break and used Thunderbolt, probably hoping for a paralysis, before dying from Ice Beam. He then went on Regice hoping for the third turn wake up, to likely Thunder-wave this rampaging Tyranitar, unfortunately for him he did not got it and Tyranitar finished the game with his Brick Break.

Hope you liked it, Dekzeh once again proved himself as a Gimmick lover, but thelinearcurve did got the best of him with his Mixed Tyranitar, which was crucial in this game.

Now the pairings !

For this week, I'd considere Jirachee vs zf as the Highlight. Indeed Jirachee is coming from an impressive win against UD, which might be the first of a great serie, while zf has shown a great dominance in those first two weeks of spl X and surely want to keep going this way

Feel free to do your own predictions, or to comment anything you'd want to linked to adv in spl.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread HKT! Really appreciate the easy access to current player standings, as well as the prediction hype :)

Some thoughts:

[WOLF] UD vs dekzeh [SCTR]: UD seems to be in top form, rocking his unique brand of creative sets and sharp plays. Last week was a bit of a shame, considering the misses on Rachee's Mence, but the sequence leading to Tar's fateful Rock Slide miss was amazingly played by UD. While not lacking in creativity either, dekzeh appears to prefer dated teams/mons (Regice in 2019?). Since the first Callous Cup, I've wondered if he can adapt his style to the faster pace of modern ADV. Regardless, looking forward to seeing what innovations both sides are cooking up. I'll be rooting for the people's champ :)

[CRYO] Veteran In Love vs Gilbert arenas [TYRN]: ViL is looking a bit shaky, as he opted to switch to GSC last week after a clean Week 1 defeat. Based on the standard Lax team he brought then, I expect him to bring something solid but predictable again. On the other hand, marcop has bounced back from his Week 1 loss, and seems fully capable in using newer strategies to great success (that Charcoal prep vs Sunny's Forry was pretty heat). A tale of Old vs. New, and I expect the New to win almost every time.

[BIGS] Golden Sun vs eden's embrace [RUIN]: Golden Sun is the only old-school ADVer that seems to have shaken off the rust, as his Week 2 game was played impeccably from start to finish (Pert's Protect on the second-to-last turn vs. Mence shows that GS stays sharp late-game despite his winning position). However, Sunny will be GS's first opponent well-versed in modern strategies, and he is a wildcard capable of bringing both innovation (Week 1: +3 Meta was straight fire) and standards with a modern twist (Week 2: classic TSS with double waters). While I'm a big fan of both players, I'll have to root for my man SunnyD. One thing's for sure: someone's gonna "Unleash the Power of the Sun™".

[RAID] Jirachee vs zf [TGRS]: Rachee is a solid player who has shown a lot of love for the Mence/Meta/Pert core so far, so I'm expecting him to change it up this week. zf has won both his games convincingly, and I like how he's capable of taking standard cores and mixing it up a bit (Double Edge CB Tar + WishBliss for support). Not very familiar with either player, but I'll have to give the (double) edge to the fellow Cowboy Bebop fan.

[SHRK] Kevin Garrett vs thelinearcurve [CONG]: KG has not been looking good these past two weeks, but I think that's due to how well his opponents have played rather than any mistakes on his part. While his results may be lackluster so far, I don't think it's fair to count this seasoned vet out anytime soon. However, linear is undoubtedly the man to beat this season, as his current dominance attests to. His past two games were a treat to watch, showing he has both the spot-on reads (his use of CB Tar Week 1, damn!) and the unpredictable sets (Spiker Smeargle :D) to take down anyone. Not only is he the strongest player in the pool, linear is arguably the current best ADV player in the world (which I personally believe, if past ladder/PP tours/Callous Cups/SPL results are anything to go by). Stay strong, bro.

Last edited:

Heika

is a Pre-Contributor
Sorry I am a bit late but pairing for week 4 are out.

Quite a bit of changes, with Hyogafodex, dice and Alexander playing their first ADV game in this SPL. While Hyogafodex is fairly unknown by most people, Alexander and dice are subject to high expectation. Moreover, Alexander is facing Jirachee who seems to be on a tear, and dice is facing dekzeh who, in spite of not having much success still provide really untertaining games. So two game, that you really might wanna catch live.
On the other hand, for his first game ever on the big stage, hyogafodex is facing the man to beat of this year in thelinearcurve.
Finally, the two other games are UD vs Kevin garrett, UD has been showing his teambuilding prowess, while KG has had a hard time this SPL, despite playing well, which means one should not count him out even though it is a rough match up here.
Last game, which already happen was between the fire build man Gilbert arenas vs the fire play man Golden Sun, definitely a replay you want to watch if you did not catch it live.

Last edited:

Heika

is a Pre-Contributor
Week 5 is out and it is already the half of the season !

This week sees Hclat starting for the first time in SPL, after his first SPL game in DPP. More over, Alexander and Hyogafodex are staying in ADV this week and are facing each other, both are coming from a first win and likely want to keep things going.
I would have considere thelinearcurve vs Golden Sun as the Highlight of the week, so I would recommand to watch the replay.

Last edited:

Heika

is a Pre-Contributor

Week 7 is up, I was considering writing some comments about midseas, incoming playoffs etc. but considering I hadn't been able to raise interest for these thread, here are the pairings :

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)