Tournaments SPL X - ORAS Discussion Thread

OP adapted from the SM OU thread by Eternal Spirit
This thread will be used to discuss ORAS OU in SPL X. I will try to keep it active by posting observations and whatnot, similar to what dk did last year. Here are the drafted teams:

The ORAS OU players of each lineup, including possible supporters and substitutes (inside parentheses), might be:

The Wi-Fi Wolfpack
- TDK (Kickasser, Welli0u, Charmflash, Santu, Sjneider [traded from Sharks]).
The Team Raiders
- Trosko (Gondra, SoulWind, bro fist, The Hallows, Talah).
Dragonspiral Tyrants
- blunder (reyscarface, Poek, aim, We Three Kings, Mana, Rodriblutar, CTC).
The Alpha Ruiners
- Hiye (Chill Shadow, Empo, Pearl, Jimmy Turtwig, RedEmption, Luigi, eden's embrace, Rewer, imsosorrylol).
The Ever Grande BIGs
- xray (Kushalos, Cdumas, FLCL, Sabella, Valentine).
The Circus Maximus Tigers
- reiku (Eternal Spirit, Pohjis, Bro Kappa).
The Stark Sharks
- Znain (M Dragon, Analytic, Lycans, Tricking, Posho, Spectear, High Impulse).
The Congregation of the Classiest
- baddummy (z0mog, Eo, 1 True Lycan, Garay oak, Insult, Genesis7).
The Cryonicles
- Leru (ABR, obii, BHARATH_THEBEST, Alexander., Malekith, Arifeen).
The Indie Scooters
- Get This Money (FlamingVictini, Ojama, craing ;_;, Lopunny Kicks, Century Express, FMG, Will of Fire, Relous, lighthouses).

__________________________________________________________________________________
Useful Links:

- Schedule
-
Power Rankings
- Replays Thread

Last edited:
raw ORAS OU power rankings from the article linked in the OP:
1.) blunder
2.) TDK
3.) Hiye
4.) xray
5.) Trosko
6.) reiku
7.) baddummy
8.) Znain
9.) Leru
10.) Get This Money

it is worth noting that for week 1 craing is starting instead of gtm, and he'd be significantly higher on the power rankings.

to make this post less useless, i want to make it clear that i'm not gonna post the weeks in here since that's pointless. instead, i plan on posting replays to each battle with maybe a bit of analysis for some of them and some analysis of trends at the end of the weeks.

edit: i decided, to make better use of the analysis and trends, i will be doing that every 3 weeks of regular season. playoffs tbd. this way we can get a broader look at the trends. i probably won't do a full blown analysis of games, but i might pick a few highlight games and do a description for them. not sure yet.

Last edited:
Since there is no discussion so far I wanna give some of my thoughts on the first week of SPL that can hopefully spark some discussion as ORAS is my favourite tier.

MegaBro is the premier mega of choice to check MegaGross now, compared to MegaZor which received 0 usage this first week. This is probably due to the prevalence of Gross + Zone teams (of which we saw 2 this week) that punishes teams that rely on Zor to check Gross. Magnezone in general is a really good pick as it is one of the few guaranteed chip on MegaGross and removes ferrothorn which is the premier grass type now with spikes being amazing as usual. It is no wonder that zone received pretty high usage this week.

Speaking of grass types, amoonguss received low usage, only used once by hiye. I believe this to be because amoonguss gives free setup to opposing gliscor if their toxic orb is activated and that letting megagross in for free after spore is used is really frustrating.

Megagross receiving 30% usage as compared to the 70% seen in the first week of SPL IX is nice to see as people are using more varied team styles rather than just “standard megagross bulky offense”

Moving on to some teams used, baddummy’s team reminds me of the team Updated Kanto used last SPL with clef/glisc/ferro/jelli/lop/tar while Hiye’s team reminds me of a popular oras team with lop/clef/among/drill/tar/skarm. Spikes + Zam/Lop have always been a tried and true formula in oras but zam is probably a better pick than lop on these sorts of teams right now due to the resurgence of tankchomp, megabro being better than ever and players opting for bold over calm on clef.

ben gay brought an interesting team against xray with dualscreens glare serp LO mie and powerful hazard weak threats in volcarona and pinsir. LO mie + volc is something I haven’t really seen since 2015/2016 oras so that’s really cool to see. ben’s volcarona might have finished off the remaining 5 of xray’s team too which shows how dangerous volcarona is against the common team structures. (fwiw i think ben should have buzzed the keldeo after the first hydro pump miss then subbed into swarm range before bug buzzing again to kill the keld).
edit: xray told me he was scarfhwish latias and bp gross both of which could revenge volc if it was low so it definitely wasnt a volc 6-0. game probably was still down to bisharp mindgames and if xray could successfully hwish keld

TDK’s choice of Mega Hera is a very interesting pick that we don’t really see much now considering that MegaGross is the best mega. I suspect that the choice of mega hera was to get a good matchup against slowbro/ferrothorn balance builds that ABR seems to like while being fantastic against any possible chansey/skarm shenanigans.

Overall, a diverse range of teams from different archetypes were used this week and I’m excited to see what these players can bring out the coming week!

Last edited:
WEEK 4
----------
[SCTR] craing ;_;

VS
Bro Kappa [TGRS]

----------
[CRYO] ABR

VS
Trosko [RAID]

----------
[WOLF] TDK

VS
High Impulse [SHRK]

----------
[RUIN] imsosorrylol

VS
baddummy [CONG]

---------
[TYRN] Poek

VS
xray [BIGS]

----------​

some insights:
  • tyranitar has seemingly had a bit of a decline in usage. while still a prominent pokemon, many are seemingly opting for mega metagross as the pursuiter to pair with keldeo instead of tyranitar (or weavile for that matter). i think a lot of this can be attributed to mega metagross being much easier to throw on teams. it's defensive typing is much more useful, its diverse movepool allows you to tailor it to what your team needs (moreso than tyranitar), and it doesn't have to use a choice item to be reliably powerful (band) / fast enough to pressure the lati twins and others (scarf). tyranitar still has a clear place as a huge threat and defining force in the meta, but possibly less so than before.
  • garchomp has been seeing more and more usage since the most recent smogon tour season. tankchomp has been a big factor in enabling many bulky offenses, as it is bulky enough to handle common physical attackers like mega metagross, bisharp, birds (not so common), grounds, etc. while not being extremely passive. its SD sets are also seeing some usage, but i honestly haven't looked at those games in-depth enough to comment.
  • like garchomp, tornadus-t is a pokemon that sorta fell off for a bit (according to some people lol) and has started to rise again. while LO hasn't seen any significant usage, AV tornadus-t has been really common this SPL. it fits nicely on all kinds of teams, and it provides a reliable and bulky yet offensive answer to the likes of keldeo and mega alakazam.
  • i'm grouping these 4 together because they're all sorta "fringe" offensive win conditions that had fallen off the radars of many for the past year or so. this SPL we're seeing them get some significant usage; bisharp and serperior in particular have proven to be really reliable options. the first three are all really great on standard hyper offense, which has seen a decent amount of usage this SPL. serperior is a bit more versatile, better fitting on bulkier builds. however, it's clear this can be said about azumarill (xray's week 5 team) and bisharp (TDK's week 5 team) as well... just to a lesser extent. i think all four of these (though especially bish, azu, and serp) have proven to be really consistent picks in the meta and not just matchup mons, similar to how volcarona cemented itself not too long ago.
  • speaking of the moth, it's not seeing nearly as much usage/success as previously. i attribute this to people utilizing different means of beating it than just slapping on a counter that loses to a certain coverage move and hoping your opponent doesn't have that coverage move, lol. azumarill seeing more usage definitely contributes here, but also tankchomp and AV tornadus-t. while these don't clearly counter +1 volcarona, in conjunction with other resists, they are capable of neutralizing it. it's worth noting that Trosko had success with a bulky volcarona set, something we haven't really seen much at all in ORAS.
  • some other cool stuff:
    • zapdos seems to be getting more usage; makes sense since it rly fucks up fat bro spikes type stuff and it is kinda reliable hazard removal.
    • excadrill is continuing to prove it is the most reliable and versatile hazard removal option and starmie's still trash. c
    • hansey is seeing more usage even tho stall has been on a constant decline for a good while now. t
    • he mega slot has become even MORE restricted with mega bro and mega meta being so hard to pass up... the only things that really give them even the slightest bit of competition are diancie, alakazam, and scizor, all of which are definitely not on the level of those two. i'm pretty sure mega medi has seen a whopping zero usage, which is no surprise considering how competitive that slot is + how THOSE types of bulky offenses are really hard to pull off now + how many slowbros are running around.
    • jellicent seems to have fallen off... a bit.
    • suicune seems to be coming back up... a bit.
    • landorus-t is bad.

i'm not gonna wrap up the replay things unless some ppl want me to. sorry it just took oddly longer than i expected it to when i started the thread, so i kinda gave up. if someone else wants to feel free tho ;p. now that SPL is over i'd love to hear from those of you who played ORAS regarding what you used, meta observations, general thoughts, etc.. hopefully we can get a response or two :D

xray Trosko Poek craing ;_; BK ABR BLUNDER SANTANA Tricking Genesis7 Santu TDK baddummy Hiye obii Relous imsosorrylol (grats vro) Posho Leru reiku High Impulse Znain

that's everyone who played more than 1 game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)