Spoilers (in general)

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
You know, when you find out the ending of -something- before reaching certain point; sometimes even before buying the product itself. And not necessarily because you want to know. It could be an accident, or you could be victim of trolls.

For example, before Skyward Sword came out, I was avoiding all sources of spoilers like a plague. Then, as I was walking past a magazine stand, I caught a glimpse of one which advertised an "introduction" to the game. Guess who was on the cover, rather than, say, Link or even Fi?

Granted, at the time I wasn't aware of the identity of the character and I assumed it was the new look of the usual villain, but still.

Speaking of Zelda, as much as you want to avoid spoilers, there are things that you just can't fight:

…but I digress.

I remember back when Harry Potter 6 was coming out, there was this rumour about a European who was standing in queue to buy his book, when someone on a motorcycle sped through and shouted that 3-word spoiler we all know now.

[youtube]neuMyI8M5fc[/youtube]

Rumour has it, the guy committed suicide. Again, just speculation, but, would you go to that extreme?

So, spoilers. Do you mind them? Do you love them? Hate them? Do you think spoilers take away from the experience? Or do you just skip ahead and read the ending rather than trivially "wasting time with the middle"? What is your opinion about them?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
man fuck spoilers especially

Some spoilers like in FE:A are irksome because you can barely discuss some very crucial points in the game because some of the spoilers come really really early and another comes very late. It gets to you sometimes.

reddit has spoiled at least two major character deaths in game of thrones that the tv series haven't even covered yet

it makes me upset but it's mostly my own fault for browsing the game of thrones subreddit without having read the books

^ I don't want any of my GoT viewing to be ruined.. will definitely keep my eyes hidden from that shit.

I hate movie trailers or movie commercials you see on tv that practically show you the ending, etc.. or just show way too much information that gives you too much knowledge going into it.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
TV previews are the worst, as they usually give away all the cool stuff. The Arrow previews are especially bad.
Also, when reading Death Note I got bored and checked the Wiki. Spoiled it for me. DAMN! Haven't even bothered to finish it.
Same thing with Naruto. I got bored and checked the Wiki. Spoiled the Itachi and Sasuke showdown for me. DAMN!

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i spoiled the sixth sense for my mom whenever it was fairly new - she was watching it on dvd i think? and i just moseyed up like "hey, you know bruce willis? he's dead!!"

and she gave me the most evil look i could have ever imagined a human capable of, hahaha. she'll still get reminiscently sore about it if i bring it up.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
i spoiled the books after game of thrones in the series and got real mad at myself after i read them because i was not shocked at the slightest while reading them. i hated how i didnt enjoy those great books like everyone else has

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
God...I cannot believe that sometimes a good spoiling is so beneficial to my health:

Also the best spoiler ever:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sly Cooper; Thieves in Time

What could have been the greatest moment of the game is spoiled by an Achievement, the chapter title, the voice acting, the name of the villain, and the picture on the villain's chest.

I constantly spoil shit for myself, books or TV shows, on Wikipedia.

I'll start reading/watching, think "Hmm, I wonder if this will have a decent ending or just tail off into cancellation/neverending stringalong", so I go on wikipedia and then read some summaries and then all of a sudden I don't care to watch or read the series anymore.

I constantly spoil shit for myself, books or TV shows, on Wikipedia.

I'll start reading/watching, think "Hmm, I wonder if this will have a decent ending or just tail off into cancellation/neverending stringalong", so I go on wikipedia and then read some summaries and then all of a sudden I don't care to watch or read the series anymore.

Film/TV spoilers are annoying because they're so hard to avoid. If something big and popular comes out that you really want to see, you really need to see it ASAP, because otherwise your friends will have seen it and will be actively discussing all aspects of it among themselves. You'll look silly trying to deliberately avoid overhearing anything during such conversations.

Even worse is when your roommate has seen something you haven't and thinks it's rather amusing to blackmail you by shouting out spoilers...

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
i spoiled the sixth sense for my mom whenever it was fairly new - she was watching it on dvd i think? and i just moseyed up like "hey, you know bruce willis? he's dead!!"

and she gave me the most evil look i could have ever imagined a human capable of, hahaha. she'll still get reminiscently sore about it if i bring it up.
Aww crap, I was just downloading this in HD to watch. What shit.

*evil looks*

Some spoilers like in FE:A are irksome because you can barely discuss some very crucial points in the game because some of the spoilers come really really early and another comes very late. It gets to you sometimes.
The first big spoiler in the game was partially revealed by NoA's first commercial for the game, and the comment section on the Youtube video made it worse because people would point it out with timestamps so people who didn't know who that person was became aware of the spoiler.

Also, tvtropes is an evil thing but sometimes I just can't stop myself.

Spoilers about Death Note and The Children of Hurín ahead

I remember some bastard spoiling me that L dies in Death Note. I just started reading the freaking manga! that was long ago, there wasn't even an anime adaptation yet D:

Oh, and my best friend spoiled me one of his favorite books

"Dude, you should The Children of Hurín, is one of Tolkien's best"
"Oh ok, I'll try to find a copy"
"You better do, the story is great, the guy fucks his sister and suicides at the end"

That sunova- he also spoiled me like, 70 % of The Silmarillion too, BUT I'M STILL GONNA READ THAT, when I found a copy. Oh, Hurín was still a great book, even if I knew what was going to happen.

I don't really know why, but I often read the last page of a book well before finishing it. The vast majority of the time, it doesn't spoil anything big. Of Mice and Men did cut it really close, though, considering *that* happens on the second last page... which someone spoiled for me while I was reading. Thanks, jerk!

Anyway, I guess I'm not entirely bothered by spoilers, the reason being that people who like to troll with spoilers tend to only tell you the most superficial detail. "X dies." That doesn't really tell you anything most of the time, other than that the author was willing to kill off major characters. Then again, I tend not to get overly attached to specific characters. Like, I don't understand why people get so upset over ScrewAttack's Death Battles and such. One time I spoiled all of the killers in an Ace Attorney game for myself. I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think that spoilers alter the experience, though it doesn't necessarily have to be negative. In fact, it can sometimes be positive! For example, *that event* in FF7 is so widely paraded around that people neglect to spoil *that other event* that I think defines the story in that game.

P.S. Obviously if you don't like spoilers, don't read wikis! Most of them have global disclaimers, anyway, which is a lot prettier (and less prone to dumb accusations of censorship) than spoiler tags. If you read the wiki because you're "bored", maybe you don't care as much about being spoiled as you think!

I don't understand why people get so upset over ScrewAttack's Death Battles and such.
Because people decide to take that as the end-all be-all. Before, Goku vs. Superman were full of intelligent discussion about the strengths and weaknesses compared to each otrher and deciding what counts as canon and what doesn't. Now it's "nuh uh Superman would win Screwattack said so", which is sad especially now since Goku literally attained godmode.

As for spoilers, I don't like them, if I really want to watch something I generally avoid spoilers. Hell, before the Dark Knight Rises came out I didn't even watch the trailers.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mass Effect, man. Video games in general cos I'm a powergamer and completionist as fuck and AVOIDING SPOILING MYSELF WILL NOT GET IN THE WAY OF MY PERFECTLY OVERPOWERED PARTY / 100% COMPLETION / WHATEVER. D:

Spoilers don't bother me for the most part, though. Most of the time, the lack of context surrounding a typical one-liner spoiler doesn't ruin much of anything for people. And sometimes even, like what capefeather said...

TVTropes said:
You likely already know that All There Is To Know About The Crying Game is that the main character's love interest is a pre-operative transgender woman. William Goldman noted that knowing the secret actually made the film a much better movie.
also don't click that link to that wiki

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
ahh, capefeather!! i used to do that a lot when i was younger reading fiction - i would flip to a random page in the middle of the book, and read it. if i liked it, i would read the book. even if i didn't like it, i would still read the book and hope it was good, but i always felt secure i knew some part of the plot later in the story and it tickled me when i would reach that page and know everything that lead up to it.

I don't hate spoilers so much. I don't interact with them in as many ways as other people, though. I don't watch dramatic TV shows and I don't read much popular fiction or anything like that.

I am a big fan of The Office. I never minded spoilers in that because it's not really the plot but the smaller instances that makes it funny.

Most of the reading I do is of literature. In an academic setting, it seems like it's not uncommon for spoilers to happen... and often they aren't relevant. A lot of the times it's more practical to know how a book ends before you start reading it so that you have some idea of what to pay attention to.

If we're talking about books, I have this stupid autism-like need to read the lines below what I'm currently reading. It puts you in some serious stress, no joke.

im a victim of being addicted to googling my favorite characters from tv shows and books that i like. I always say to myself "i wont read too far into this wiki page to spoil anything" but i always do.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i spoil shit for myself all the time i have no self control

like when i was watching TDKR and everyone was like "oh god bruce is DEAD?" and i was like "he fixed the autopilot calm ur tits"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)