Metagame [SPOILERS] ULTRA SM - Speculation & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually wondering about something...Could we see Naganadel (however the hell you spell/pronounce that) work with Zygarde in some way? I'm thinking Sub Zygarde with this:

Naganadel@Choice Specs
Timid Nature
252SAtk 4SDef 252Spe
Draco Meteor
Sludge Wave
Flamethrower (I prefer accuracy but Fire Blast works well here too)
U-Turn

The thought process here is Zyg's biggest counters are grass types and Naganadel 4x resists Grass (yes I know Tangrowth likes to carry EQ/Knock Off/HP Ice but still) and can give Zyg free setup chances with U-Turn (especially a free sub to at least hit something with). Hell, from what I've seen the counterplay to Naganadel is AV TTar, Chansey, or Heatran (all of which Zygarde can Sub on pretty easily, barring Ice Punch/Beam AVTar) not to mention Sub Zygarde hates TSpikes more than the CB/Z-Move sets.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Honestly with the expected metagame changes, I can really see a comeback from terrakion. Its scarf set really benefits from a rise in weavile, tyranitar, and volcarona, all of which are heavily anticipated, and it outspeeds UB-Burst by exactly 1 point and easily ohkos it. It also has a positive match-up against almost every newly introduced mon, outspeeding and ohkoing Naganadel (Cant revenge kill after a +1 boost, but can come in on the predicted nasty plot), outspeeding and ohkoing zeraora after literally any prior damage, outspeeding and ohkoing blacephalon, and obviously ohkoing staka which really wont matter honestly.
A Z move set with rock polish could also be very good, as it can set up on a volcarona, as they should switch out fearing the scarf. It can also set up on some weavile, ttar and burst. It can also switch in to an obvious knock from a toxapex, and ohko the current standard set with a +1 z move.
It works out to be a really good teammate to naganadel, threating out nearly all of its counters.
I don't think its gonna be a top tier mon by any means, but I definitely expect it to become a good pick again, not just a low viability shitmon.
Relevant calcs: https://pastebin.com/wVB0qfnp
forgot to mention but dragalge and xurk in my calcs are naganadel and verlis respectively

Also
don’t not ruin it for everyone.
smh

Last edited:
I think another potentially good partner for Nagandel would be Keldeo. Chansey, AVTar, and Heatran as well as Weavile and Scarf Greninja don't appreciate Keldeo coming in and threatening immediately. Yes it is susceptible to spikes but imo with all the new defoggers (and old ones) you could utilize you can put immediate pressure on would be checks to Nagandel. I could see Substitute 3 attacks or Specs functioning pretty well with the ever looking threat of Nagandel getting a free switch in.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Toxapex @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Serious Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Scald
- Smack Down

Is this going to became the new low ladder meme?

Now seriously.

With the new Defog users, Double Defog could became viable again. Remember when it was? Me neither.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Bullet Punch

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Atk / 192 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

These 3 can make a good core. When I tryed using double defog, pysical fire types were a big trouble,
and I usualy fixed them with Lando-T. Now with Gliscor, it adds a 3rd defog and a good Toxic setter.

Im sure, Shedinja will rise a little bit. Not OU, probably RU. The meta would have much less hazards.
Its ability to force switch-ins and to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp will be good for Stall.
I can see stall using it, but not much.
Sheddy won't ever be viable again without baton pass(banned in uu down) without the stall meta being so slow the real threat is sheddy to switch to a regen core twice while You take 3 turns of burn tick or pp stall

But I do think Martine might be more used a special wall with haze than a defogger if it's still used. But it isn't terrible vs gren spikes

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I doubt Bewear is going to be at the tippedy top of the VR anytime soon, but I would like to point out that it got two very important moves: Drain Punch and Stealth Rock. Bewear has always been known as a nice bulky attacker in RU thanks to its good HP and Fluffy, and now it can finally supplement that bulk with reliable sustain in Drain Punch. Stealth Rock is obviously an incredible utility option, and Bewear has the stats and moves to perform a role as a decent bulky rocks lead.

Here's a potential set:
Bewear (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Filler (Roar, Taunt or Return/Double-Edge could be possible)

This guy can stand up to things like some Landorus-T sets, Kartana, Tapu Bulu and the newly emerging Gliscor. It's not great, but it could have a niche, I'd say C- or C could work out alright.
Sorry but Bewear does not get Stealth Rock so I'm not sure where you heard that from.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Am I missing something here? No one has mentioned Kommo-O. Clangorous Soulblaze seems extremely good. Needless to say it gives Kommo a lot of defensive and offensive prowess to play with.. while handily knocking out plenty of targets in the same turn.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Am I missing something here? No one has mentioned Kommo-O. Clangorous Soulblaze seems extremely good. Needless to say it gives Kommo a lot of defensive and offensive prowess to play with.. while handily knocking out plenty of targets in the same turn.
Well, I'd definitely think that it can be nice - great bulk can prevent r killers - but with the amount of fairies we have and the still disappointing speed tier I'm not so sure tbh. It could be good but I doubt it.

Lynch me again thread

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The problem with Kommo-o is that it's mostly a weaker Z-Conversion Porygon-Z, which is also rather mediocre. As others have stated, that 4x Fairy weakness is just painful, and Kommo-o is quite weak and slow before boosting. I doubt it'll be any good in OU, but I'm sure it'll be a fine mon in UU.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the real strat with kommo-o is to make a showdown name called PikachuPower123 or something like that so people think you're a little kid. then you lead with kommo-o and type "watch this!" in the chat

at this point there is a 99.9% chance that they'll switch into their fairy type to block the soulblaze based on their perception of you

that's when you reveal your kommo-o is actually adamant life orb with poison jab and earthquake and you ohko their lele or koko as it switches in. last 2 moves are cc and ice punch. this set also beats bulu, magearna, mawile, clef most of the time, and non-speedy fini as they switch in to block the soulblaze

then you sweep with z volc

you think it sounds stupid until it works against you

really though kommo-o isn't as good as it seems but bring your scarf leles because people will probably be spamming it for a bit

Last edited:
Sorry, but I just don't see it. You only have one shot at a sweep, and the Z move itself has to watch out for Fairies as there's a good chance that your attempt at a sweep will be thwarted if they swap in to a Fairy type. Also, even if you manage to boost, there's still a huge problem. Its offensive stats at +1 are still weak for OU. Even +1 Flash Cannon fails to OHKO Scarf Lele, which out speeds and OHKOs you anyways.

However, the one thing this mon has over something like PZ is that it can run 4 offensive moves with this set, as Clamorous Soulblaze is an attacking set up move rather than just being a purely set up support move. A set of Clanging Scales, CC, Steel type attack (either Flash Cannon or Iron Head), and Flamethrower might be a cool idea for a mixed attacking set. Might see some good usage in UU or RU, but it just doesn't have the stats for OU.

the real strat with kommo-o is to make a showdown name called like PikachuPower123 so people think you're a little kid. then you lead with kommo-o and type "watch this!" in the chat

at this point there is a 99.9% chance that they'll switch into their fairy type to block the soulblaze based on their perception of you

that's when you reveal your kommo-o is actually adamant life orb with iron head and earthquake and you ohko their lele or koko as it switches in. the set also beats bulu magearna and mawile as they switch in to block the soulblaze

then you sweep with z volc

you think it sounds stupid until it works vs you
fuck, you beat me to the punch

I think we're looking at kommo-o wrong here. The z move, while objectively one of the best in the game (nuke and +1 to everything), might actually be worse for kommo-o than straight up dd. The thing has a solid physical movepool now. Close combat is the real standout, but it also snagged some cool moves from tutors, notably ice punch.

Komodo (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Adamant on a DDer seems shitty, but that combined with LO lets it nab some crucial OHKOs after rocks at +1 and is still fast enough to outspeed anything slower than mega lop t +1. You could run something like poison jab for fairies, but it really doesn't need it with this moveset. The relevant fairies bar fini (eh) and clef (major) in OU are all covered by earthquake and ice punch, in bulu's case. Kommo-o is also surprisingly bulky and can set up at least one dd on shit like non corkscrew crash kart, mega venu, or dazzleless koko, and the z move existing can bait in fairy types to try to absorb it. All of them get outsped and OHKOd if you dd on the switch bar scarf lele, which kommo-o needs +2 speed to outspeed and +1 attack with rocks to OHKO 100% of the time. You could probably get away with dropping ice punch for poison jab or maybe iron head, but lando is still the best mon in the tier.

Again, LO and sometimes rocks are crucial for some OHKOs. Here's a couple of very notable calcs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 333-395 (87.1 - 103.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 289-341 (95 - 112.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (don't most people run spdef now? Or has it gone back to the mixed bold set?)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 367-434 (104.5 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Does this thing have problems? Plenty. It needs a DD to get shit done, it can't really break stall, it gets OHKOd by a few popular scarfers like lele and lati unless you're at +2, can't handle mew, and close combat's side effect + LO really removes the bulk it had. And yet it still seems like it has real potential as a hole puncher for something else to sweep. Idk, this could be something.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Poor thing, gets a 185 BP conversion-z that saves a moveslot and still sucks.

by the way, if you want to dragon dance with this thing you're probably better off using clangorous and DD on the same set. +1 defense kommo might be able to survive two attacks, letting you clang + DD then sweep.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fuck, you beat me to the punch

I think we're looking at kommo-o wrong here. The z move, while objectively one of the best in the game (nuke and +1 to everything), might actually be worse for kommo-o than straight up dd. The thing has a solid physical movepool now. Close combat is the real standout, but it also snagged some cool moves from tutors, notably ice punch.

Komodo (Kommo-o) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Adamant on a DDer seems shitty, but that combined with LO lets it nab some crucial OHKOs after rocks at +1 and is still fast enough to outspeed anything slower than mega lop t +1. You could run something like poison jab for fairies, but it really doesn't need it with this moveset. The relevant fairies bar fini (eh) and clef (major) in OU are all covered by earthquake and ice punch, in bulu's case. Kommo-o is also surprisingly bulky and can set up at least one dd on shit like non corkscrew crash kart, mega venu, or dazzleless koko, and the z move existing can bait in fairy types to try to absorb it. All of them get outsped and OHKOd if you dd on the switch bar scarf lele, which kommo-o needs +2 speed to outspeed and +1 attack with rocks to OHKO 100% of the time. You could probably get away with dropping ice punch for poison jab or maybe iron head, but lando is still the best mon in the tier.

Again, LO and sometimes rocks are crucial for some OHKOs. Here's a couple of very notable calcs.
252+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Landorus-Therian: 333-395 (87.1 - 103.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 289-341 (95 - 112.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (don't most people run spdef now? Or has it gone back to the mixed bold set?)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 367-434 (104.5 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Does this thing have problems? Plenty. It needs a DD to get shit done, it can't really break stall, it gets OHKOd by a few popular scarfers like lele and lati unless you're at +2, can't handle mew, and close combat's side effect + LO really removes the bulk it had. And yet it still seems like it has real potential as a hole puncher for something else to sweep. Idk, this could be something.
This set seems pretty interesting, and it's a huge shame that Toxapex forces this thing to run EQ since otherwise it could easily afford CC/PJab/Ice Punch coverage, given that +1 CC has a pretty high chance to OHKO Magearna after SR damage.

Fightinium-Z is probably worth considering on this set since LO recoil is really unfortunate for a DD sweeper and the extra power of All-Out Pummeling can help break through stuff like Celesteela, Skarmory and Scizor. That being said, not being able to OHKO Toxapex at +1 is unfortunate. Maybe it's a better idea to run Groundinium-Z, since Fairies are going to switch in on it pretty frequently, and since you can't fit PJab your best option against them would be Tectonic Rage.

0 Atk Amoonguss Stomping Tantrum vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 176-208 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

This is by far the most significant change to the metagame that USUM brings. I expect Heatran's viability to plummet to C-Rank from this new move alone. What's more, if Heatran switches into a move that doesn't affect it, like Clear Smog or Hidden Power Fire, Stomping Tantrum's power is doubled on the next turn, nabbing a clean OHKO. Truly this will shake up the metagame.

Honestly with the expected metagame changes, I can really see a comeback from terrakion. Its scarf set really benefits from a rise in weavile, tyranitar, and volcarona, all of which are heavily anticipated, and it outspeeds UB-Burst by exactly 1 point and easily ohkos it. It also has a positive match-up against almost every newly introduced mon, outspeeding and ohkoing Naganadel (Cant revenge kill after a +1 boost, but can come in on the predicted nasty plot), outspeeding and ohkoing zeraora after literally any prior damage, outspeeding and ohkoing blacephalon, and obviously ohkoing staka which really wont matter honestly.
A Z move set with rock polish could also be very good, as it can set up on a volcarona, as they should switch out fearing the scarf. It can also set up on some weavile, ttar and burst. It can also switch in to an obvious knock from a toxapex, and ohko the current standard set with a +1 z move.
It works out to be a really good teammate to naganadel, threating out nearly all of its counters.
I don't think its gonna be a top tier mon by any means, but I definitely expect it to become a good pick again, not just a low viability shitmon.
Relevant calcs: https://pastebin.com/wVB0qfnp
forgot to mention but dragalge and xurk in my calcs are naganadel and verlis respectively

Also

smh
Other than KOing Naga (which there have to be better answers to) and benefitting from a knock off from pex (but being crippled by scald) Keldeo already deals with these threats (keldeo can also run stone edge to ohko a QDd volc) so don't really see any of the reasons you listed giving Terrakion any kind of boon in USUM.

Also Mr stomping tantrum amoonguss has gotta be trolling.

Also Mr stomping tantrum amoonguss has gotta be trolling.
I'm only like half trolling. Sure it's bad, but it lets Amoonguss chunk some of the things that it checks. For example, it makes 1v1ing AV Magearna less of a pain, as HP Fire does like 10 to it where Stomping Tantrum does like 25. It can 2HKO Heatran, Gengar, and Magnezone and can 2HKO Naganadel after rocks. And most importantly you can run it alongside HP Fire.

Basically, it does the same things Earthquake does on Tangrowth and Venusaur, only much weaker, but that's Amoonguss for you. I wouldn't say it's the worst move Amoonguss can run.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
But if it needed to cripple heatran on switch it had spore or You could use tang for earthquake+Better coverage unless You really need the poison typing and vest(But expect knock off way more common)

But I do like the fact it could put in work vs zone, like if they try to switch in when You switch to a steel but instead You go to amoongus get regen and can threaten it they basically gotta volt switch or read a ground/volt absorb switch in and risk the ground coverage. Like that sounds dope

Last edited:
0 Atk Amoonguss Stomping Tantrum vs. 212 HP / 44 Def Heatran: 176-208 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

This is by far the most significant change to the metagame that USUM brings. I expect Heatran's viability to plummet to C-Rank from this new move alone. What's more, if Heatran switches into a move that doesn't affect it, like Clear Smog or Hidden Power Fire, Stomping Tantrum's power is doubled on the next turn, nabbing a clean OHKO. Truly this will shake up the metagame.
While half this post is a joke, Stomping Tantrum can prove to be a surprisingly solid move as, if properly hidden, it actually punishes the opponent predicting properly.

Like Dugtrio before Arena Trap got banned, except much less unfair.

(I'll be fair, I thought it only doubled Base Power if Stomping Tantrum was the failed move)

Last edited:
I feel with all of these new special-attacking threats, plus the imminent return of Volcarona's dominance of the meta, I feel Tyranitar by itself is gonna feel overly-pressured with having to take on all of these mons alone. That's why I feel this mon could potentially pair well with AV T-Tar on bulkier teams:

+

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam / Crunch/ Fire Punch

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Defog / Ice Beam
- Roost
- Toxic / Ice Beam

These two cover each other's weaknesses fairly well, with Mantine being immune to both Ground and Water, while resisting Fighting and Steel type attacks, while Tyranitar is more comfortable in dealing with the many electric types and electric type move users in the tier. While Tyranitar looks to be capable of dealing with Blacephalon, Volcarona, and Naganadel fairly well, if more than one of these happen to be on the same team, Tyranitar could start to become whittled down fairly easily, and that's where Mantine comes in to assist. Mantine has also already proven itself to be a solid check to Rain, the Greninjas, Keldeo, and Mega Scizor, all of which annoy the hell out of Tyranitar. Meanwhile, Tyranitar can more adequately check Zapdos, Tapu Koko to an extent (Specs Dazzling Gleam 3HKOs though, so be prepped for that), two attacks BoltBeam Magearna, and Magnezone to an extent (legit, AV T-Tar takes 28% from modest Flash Cannon and a maximum of 55% from Corkscrew Crash).

The speed on Tyranitar is there for outpacing AV Magearna, while the added special bulk on to Mantine is there to ensure Blacephalon's Shadow Ball never 2HKOs Mantine after Stealth Rock. If you'd rather run more physical bulk on Mantine and just trust in Tyranitar Pursuit-trapping Blacephalon so that it can handle mons like Keldeo and Mega Scizor easier, go for it.

I have Ice Beam as an option for Tyranitar so it can have a way to hit Landorus-T pretty hard without having to fear potential Rocky Helmet sets so that you can keep your HP as intact as possible. If you'd rather run Crunch or Fire Punch, that should be fine as well. I just feel the first 3 moves on AV T-Tar are gonna be required in this new meta. I also have Ice Beam as an option on Mantine so that it has a way of dealing with Naganadel other than just switching in, but you're most likely gonna be using this to switch in to Volcarona as it handles it better than T-Tar due to Bug Buzz/ Savage Spinout (though T-Tar eats a +1 Savage Spinout even if it took Stealth Rock previously), as well as Blacephalon.

Mega Diancie eats this core up, so perhaps pairing it with a Mega Scizor or a Mega Venusaur might help out these two, and they both happen to do much better vs Koko than T-Tar, and both appreciate their ability in checking the new threats.

Damn, I fucked Naganadel. I love its typing, its concept, its name, its offensive potential, its beautiful design. I love both its shiny and non-shiny form. I love the fact that it's an extremely potent offensive poison type, since poison usually isn't a strong offensive type. I just love everything about this Pokemon.

It's a shame Gamefreak decided to make this thing ridiculously powerful instead of just reliably powerful. I don't think it's possible for the metagame to adapt to Naganadel's offensive prowess. As other commenters have noted, Nasty Plot + Devastating Drake has enough raw power to plow through both Chansey and Heatran. Assault vest Tyranitar is the only real defensive answer to this Pokemon.

The only criticism seems to be that it will have trouble setting up because it's frail. But I don't think that is a weakness serious enough to bring it down. Even without setting up, it can still hit most Pokemon hard right off the bat thanks to its STAB Draco Meteor/Poison coverage + Fire Blast. So, it is already a threat the moment it switches in. Also, because of beast boost you can't just recklessly sack a 'mon in an effort to prevent it from setting up a sweep. And, thanks to its solid movepool, it has the potential to run a lot of great sets without Nasty Plot or Dragonium Z. So, if you try to play around it expecting a set-up set with Nasty Plot, you might be surprised and taken advantage of.

I am excited to see how the meta handles this Pokemon. But I don't see it lasting long. Which is a shame, because it is one really fucking cool Pokemon. If only it were a bit less absurdly strong. Oh well, such is life. I will just have to make sure to use this Pokemon extensively when it releases, and enjoy its awesomeness for as long as it lasts. Sigh...

The only criticism seems to be that it will have trouble setting up because it's frail. But I don't think that is a weakness serious enough to bring it down. Even without setting up, it can still hit most Pokemon hard right off the bat thanks to its STAB Draco Meteor/Poison coverage + Fire Blast.
Forget the Poison STAB and Fire Blast lol. After Rocks, most Pokemon that can outspeed Naganadel before it gets a Beast Boost can be unceremoniously OHKOed by an unboosted Draco Meteor (though some would need some extra chip damage to guarantee such a KO) so you can safely switch out.

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Weavile: 238-282 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 120-142 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 252-297 (78.9 - 93.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 277-327 (97.1 - 114.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 277-327 (97.1 - 114.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 216-255 (79.7 - 94%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manectric-Mega: 250-295 (88.9 - 104.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 219-258 (72.7 - 85.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Naganadel Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 201-237 (80 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Thanks to Naganadel's Poison typing, faster Fairies not called Scarf Lele don't have a good time either.

Against Koko, you can afford being outpredicted once.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Naganadel: 204-241 (71 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So the idea of forcing it out by switching a faster Pokemon while it uses Nasty Plot can backfire. Badly.

I'm still unsure whether people are serious or joking about AV TTar becoming a legit thing in the upcoming meta ...

If AV TTar does become a thing though, 248 HP/ 252+ SpD with AV seems overkill. I ran some calcs and came up with the set below:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Basically, the idea is that 248 HP and AV let you live +2 Z-Draco from Naganadel (which is the main reason for this set to become legit it seems) comfortably. Rest of EVs can go to Atk and Spe imo.

36 Spe is to outspeed AV Magearna and EQ it before it Volt Switch on you. Depends on what become relevant in USUM, you can run more or less.

With 0 Atk, you need rocks to kill Naganadel with EQ and Pursuit does just a bit over half so probably should invest some there. I put all remaining EVs in Atk and give it Adamant to max damage output.

tl;dr: 248 HP/ 252+ SpD with AV seems overkill. I think there are more optimal spreads

Stick To It (Naganadel) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 88 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
This is a naganadel set I really look forward to using because of just the fact that it can revenge a majority of the metagame and be a pivot

This Dragon/Poison/Fire coverage of my favorite mon (My Showdown and Youtube names are ItzAdhesive) allows for it to beat the likes of fairies which is huge for a dragon to be able to do. I believe this mon will force a lot more scarfed latios being run and that is why scarf works so well on it. It can outspeed AshGren being able to take a Water Shuriken from it. This set has enough EVs to outspeed Scarfed Latios also. And coincidentally with this things base stats if I run 252 SPATK I get the beast boost raise in Special Attack making it even better for this mon in a scenario. This set is only really efficiently checked by heatran and bulky grounds such as spdef hippowdon and things like AV TTar in which it can U-Trn out into an offensive water type to gain momentum during the match such as AshGren or Greninja. This mon also takes out the fairies that AshGren struggles with making it all the better to pair with it. The offensive synergy between these two monswill be devastating for the metagame in my opinion and could even lead to one of the two being suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)