Spring 2011 anime season

The spring broadcast season starts this week. I'm curious to see what everyone is watching this season. Here's what's on my list so far:
  • Nichijou ("My Ordinary Life") - a high school comedy series directed by Tatsuya Ishihara, who some of you may know as the director of Air, Kanon, Clannad, and Haruhi. I didn't expect to find myself watching a KyoAni show this season, but after seeing this clip the show skyrocketed to the top of my "to view" list.
  • Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - Your quarterly dose of Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbo. You might know them as the studio and director behind Sayonara Zetsobu Sensei, Bakemonogatari, Arakawa, SoreMachi, and Madoka.
  • Appleseed XIII - I'm not really familiar with any of the parties involved with the creation of the anime, so I don't have any expectations of quality. It's Appleseed, and that's really all there is to say. Hopefully the TV series will turn out better than the movies did.
  • Tiger and Bunny - The premise alone makes it interesting. For those who don't know the story, Sunrise auctioned off ad space on the titular mechs, and this is actually a plot point in the series. I feel like this is something that will turn out to be either really amazing or really awful, and either way I think it will be entertaining to see just how it unfolds.
  • Steins;Gate - I'm keeping my eye on this one for now. The fact that it's being animated by White Fox rather than Madhouse tells me that it should be significantly better than Chaos;Head, but I'm still a bit wary.
  • [C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control - It's airing in the noitamina timeslot and it's directed by Kenji Nakamura (the man who directed Mononoke and Trapeze). Both of these have led me to have high expectations.
  • AnoHana - The other show that's airing in the noitamina timeslot. It's directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai, who also did Toradora and Railgun. This isn't high on my "to watch" list but I'll probably end up watching at least some of it due to the sheer convenience of it being on Hulu.

For those who don't know where to watch: your main legal venues for streaming are CrunchyRoll and Hulu. Here's a list of what CrunchyRoll is airing this season. Day-one viewing on CR requires a premium (paid) account, but you can watch stuff for free on CR five days after it's broadcast. Noitamina shows appear on Hulu within an hour of their Japanese broadcast and can be viewed immediately without an account.

I'm just sad that Bakuman Season 1 is done. The only anime I watch even though I've read/reading the manga for it.

didn't angel beats end? i watched all of it, is there a sequel?

also pokemon lol, i love pokemon anime

I'm looking forward to TWOGK S2 this season, first and foremost. Aside from that, I'll likely sample a lot of the other spring anime and continue watching them if they turn out to be my liking. On that note, I just saw the first episode of Hanasaku Iroha, and this is definitely one of the animes I'll be following.

Working!! S2 was announced, but its sadly not on the lineup it seems. Maybe this summer.
I'm just sad that Bakuman Season 1 is done.
Me too :(
It was a really nice watch, and I'm hoping the come out with a second season (soon).

Appleseed was originally an anime series though, with the movies based off them (which both weren't very good). I think this is just more to the series

I'm just sad that Bakuman Season 1 is done. The only anime I watch even though I've read/reading the manga for it.
A second season is already confirmed (although I'm sure you already knew that), and depending on how successful it is, the anime could end up running as long as they have source material to work with.

Appleseed was originally an anime series though, with the movies based off them (which both weren't very good). I think this is just more to the series
Appleseed was originally a 80's manga series. There have been three films since then (a 70-minute OVA in 1988, and films in 2004 and 2007). That being said neither of the recent Appleseed films was exactly faithful to the original source material, as the only connection that they had was that they were based in the Appleseed universe. Anyway, this season is the first time that Appleseed is being adapted as a TV series.

• Nichijou ("My Ordinary Life") - a high school comedy series directed by Tatsuya Ishihara, who some of you may know as the director of Air, Kanon, Clannad, and Haruhi. I didn't expect to find myself watching a KyoAni show this season, but after seeing this clip the show skyrocketed to the top of my "to view" list.
Holy shit, I can see why! I hope the entire series is this ridiculous!

I'm really looking forwards to the second season of The World God Only Knows, since I love the manga. Nichijou is also interesting I'll have to check it out, I loved the clip.

Nothing else seems to interest me, I find myself watching less and less anime as time goes by.

I want another season of Kino's Journey or Mushishi (would never happen)

for reference:

thoughts on shows that have aired:

Nichijou: reminds me of Lucky Star in all the worst ways, though it did have at least one slightly amusing scene.
Hanasaku: could turn out fairly good, first episode wasn't bad.
Tiger and Bunny: ridiculous but excellent premise, looking good so far.
Dog Days: like ZnT if it had a worse plot and you put dog ears on every girl.
Tsubasa: really bad, first episode was all over the place.
X-men: Didn't cause me to vomit like the other two Marvel shows did, so far so good.
Steins Gate: I dunno. Chaos Head had potential but ultimately blew it (not helped by all the uguu in the anime), this could be better or it could be a repeat.

Other stuff I'm excited for or will at least try: Gintama s2, Twgok s2, Kaiji s2, Moshidora, [C], Ao no Exorcist, Toriko, Deadman Wonderland, Denpa Onna, maybe a couple others like Enma-kun or Hidan no Aria. Overall, it's looking like the best season in a long time. Especially if you consider that Madoka will be ending in Spring.

Nichijou was consistent at being hit and miss. I'll give it a few more eps but it's not looking too good.
X-Men didn't have enough action for a first ep. Looks like it has a little potential though.
Gintama S2 was excellent. I didn't get all the references because I am only 77 eps into OG Gintama, but I got most of it.
Haven't watched Dog Days, but I expect to get a stupid, retarded series with excellent QUALITY scenes from Seven Arcs that won't be fixed until the BD/DVD series.
Haven't watched Steins;Gate. Sounds good, though.
Things that haven't aired that I am going to watch are Dororon Enma-kun (Go Nagai = must watch), Deadman Wonderland, and A Channel (I fully expect this to be a bad Lucky Star, but I'll give it a chance anyway.)
Madoka is technically airing for part of spring season. AIR THE DAMN EPISODES ALREADY.
Baka Test OVA 2 came out a few days ago, apparently. Going to watch it soon.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I am most interested in Kaiji Season 2. I watched the first episode just now and it sure is refreshing to hear the zawa's again, though they are a bit different.

I also watched Nichijou (including the OVA) and overall I enjoyed it. Maybe it is because I am personally a fan of the Azumanga Daioh style of comedy in general, but it honestly wasn't too bad. The OVA episode was nothing special but it was a good place to start. Episode 1 was quite an improvement in my opinion and I look forward to seeing how the rest of it goes.

Other stuff I plan to watch? C (I am a fan of the director's previous works), TWGOK2, Tiger and Bunny, and maybe Steins;Gate I guess, since the studio behind that also did Katanagatari previously.

I am also holding my breath for Madoka to finish, Shaft is notoriously lazy (see Bakemonogatari) and in the worst case scenario we might see the last two episodes in crap quality ONA format.

Great animes!

Freezing is amazing and i hope is not fully over even though they did post an OVA 2 weeks ago and a feek episode 12 last week

Infinite stratos has become my favorite Harem anime ever in the shortest period of time Charlotte is my favorite girl

Sora no otoshimono even though it is not well known is THE best harem anime around sadly the show is over but a movie will be coming out hopefully next year

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh hey, a proper anime thread! Huzzah.

Some thoughts about first episodes:
Nichijou Extremely hit or miss humor, and ultimately tripe which I will be watching
Hanasaku Iroha Looks solid so far, definitely on my radar.
Kaiji S2 KAIJIIII WHY DID YOU FALL SO LOW AGAIN. Otherwise solid, as expected. Also lol

Gonna give Steins;gate a watch, and looking forward to various other anime as well, including TWGOK s2 and [C].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)