Sprite Submission/Shiny Palette Submission Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
(Approved by Deck Knight and Birkal.)

I've noticed a trend in the previous few sprite threads I'd like to address in the form of updated thread OPs!

Shinies

We have previously banned users from submitting sprite animations, since people would base their vote on those, giving spriters who can also animate an unfair advantage. It is likewise unfair to have people vote on sprites based on how much they prefer a shiny palette, in contrast to the technical quality of the sprite. In addition, as CAP Pokemon now have models, it's unusual to give spriters "power" over shiny palettes when models should be on equal footing. I propose that we split shiny palettes into its own stage after sprite submissions.

Gender differences

Gender differences are a holdover from Gen. IV. As of Gen. V, gender differences are "all or nothing"--Pokemon change drastically in their design if they have gender differences (e.g., Unfezant, Pyroar, Meowstic). As we make Pokemon for modern generations, we should adhere to these design rules. Adding gender differences to sprites presents a similar issue as submitting shinies, where users vote on this factor over the technical aspect. In addition, several artists have found it uncomfortable that spriters saddle a gender difference onto their design. Let's remove the ability for spriters to invent gender differences.

Sprite Rules
  • Sprites should be inspired by the winning designs from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the designs; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art designs is discouraged.
  • All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96.
  • All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite
  • No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon.
  • Sprites must be in PNG format.
  • Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 24-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
  • Use transparent backgrounds.
  • All sprites must be scratch sprites that are completely original works by the spriter. Fusions of other sprites or pixel-overs of other artist's lineart (including the main design) are not allowed.
  • Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.

Final Submission Post

All spriters must make a final submission post conforming to the sprite rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • Final submissions must contain a minimum of 2 sprites - Front and Back. If the winning design has supporting art with gender differences, spriters may choose to include those gender differences (Male and Female versions of each), for a total of 4 sprites. Gender differences are NOT required. Spriters cannot create new gender differences.
  • Only submit ONE PNG that contains all the submitted sprites. Please do not submit separate images for every sprite. One "cutsheet" makes it easier for mods to track submissions and ensure each complete set of sprites stay intact.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.

Advice for Spriters
  • Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Pokémon Showdown, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in battle.

Shiny Palette Rules
  • Shiny palettes must be submitted as palette swaps of the winning sprite entry. No other modifications to the image may be made.
  • Colors in a shiny palette must have the same relative hue and brightness compared to the corresponding color on the original sprite.
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark red
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> white
        • Dark blue -> gray
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> gray
        • Dark blue -> black
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> dark green
        • Dark blue -> light green
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark green
      [*][*]
  • Images must be in PNG format.
  • Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 24-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.

No more than three WIP shiny palettes can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the shiny palette rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.

Feedback is appreciated on this topic and the proposed OPs. ^^

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
(Approved by Deck Knight and Birkal.)

I've noticed a trend in the previous few sprite threads I'd like to address in the form of updated thread OPs!

Shinies

We have previously banned users from submitting sprite animations, since people would base their vote on those, giving spriters who can also animate an unfair advantage. It is likewise unfair to have people vote on sprites based on how much they prefer a shiny palette, in contrast to the technical quality of the sprite. In addition, as CAP Pokemon now have models, it's unusual to give spriters "power" over shiny palettes when models should be on equal footing. I propose that we split shiny palettes into its own stage after sprite submissions.

Gender differences

Gender differences are a holdover from Gen. IV. As of Gen. V, gender differences are "all or nothing"--Pokemon change drastically in their design if they have gender differences (e.g., Unfezant, Pyroar, Meowstic). As we make Pokemon for modern generations, we should adhere to these design rules. Adding gender differences to sprites presents a similar issue as submitting shinies, where users vote on this factor over the technical aspect. In addition, several artists have found it uncomfortable that spriters saddle a gender difference onto their design. Let's remove the ability for spriters to invent gender differences.
A few things

First, I think it’s incorrect to call voting based on shinies wrong or unfair. There is no technical skill needed to create a shiny (beyond the skill already needed to sprite) and since it’s a required element to a pokemon’s existence, no advantage is gained from submitting one. Everyone has to. And people should be allowed to base their vote on whatever they want to (unless there’s a very good reason not to allow it). There is no step where CAP is so prescriptive in how people must reach decisions. Don’t frame it this way.

That said, if spriters themselves don’t like having competition on shinies, then, sure, there’s no reason we can’t vote on just the main sprite, then have a quick shiny poll. I think there’s time for that to happen since models take longer than sprites anyway. I’m indifferent. If spriters want it, go ahead imo.

Re: gender differences, I agree. Of course GF could troll us in gen 8 and bring back subtle gender differences but I doubt it. Regardless, these should be a required element in the original art submission. If the artist did not indicate gender differences in their submission, a spriter cannot invent one. That seems fine to me.

I agree on avoiding gender differences if the artist has not provided them within the submission. The spriter shouldn't be able to invent one in that case.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with both proposals. The current rules for shinies and gender differences are very outdated. Shiny coloring rules are outdated for the CAP process with models. Gender differences are outdated for the apparent style "rules" of the actual game of Pokemon. We need to get with the times, and Quany's proposals make a lot of sense to me.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
These changes will be implemented.

Approved by: DHR-107, DougJustDoug, Quanyails, and snake_rattler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)