Suspect SS AAA Suspect Test #7: Clowning Around (Blacephalon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Would just like to note that my post was not in response to Dr. Phd. BJ's apart from the one comparison I took from his post and was meant to be a response to all the Ban arguments I saw, but I am happy to respond nonetheless.

This was not the main point of my post, this was simply something that I mentioned because in many games that I have seen, blace goes through its checks that are healthy with a little rng at times. Blace is always spamming 100% accurate moves, and has a 20% chance to go through some of its checks even when things aren’t going well. Technically speaking, it’s very unlikely to get haxed with this mon. You should know this, in fact, you went through a blace check with a spedef drop during wc
I wouldn't really call a chipped and Knocked SpDef VA Toxapex a switch-in to Scarf Blacephalon, but for the sake of the argument, let's imagine if I didn't get the SpDef drop. Assuming max/max SpDef on the Pex and Jolly Blacephalon on my side and min rolls, Blace would have under-damaged Recover by 22%, so it could stay in for 2 more turns before being threatening by a possible Knock Off, which amounts to 3 turns. (1 - .2)^3 = .512, giving Blace's chances of winning that interaction slightly under 50/50s odds. I'm not sure about you, but personally, I find being able to inconsistently beat a subpar switch-in is a testament to Blace not being broken than anything else.

Also, even with the drop I got, this seems like another example of a player not preparing for Blace and subsequently losing. In jrdn's case, he did not prep for Blace defensively, having to awkwardly telegraph a Pex switch-in the 2 times I came in with Blace, while Bisharp, an offensive check because Sucker Punch, was promptly 2HKOed after Rocks and Life Orb recoil. Again, this goes back to the point I previously made about people not properly preparing for Blace, proceeding to lose, and then calling it broken.

You’re saying this as if specs blace isn’t a set (as DeepFriedMagikarp has advocated for above), and that Blace does not learn trick or out damage regenerator with hazards. Is blace on the same level as noivern? Not even close, no. But if you are comparing the two, you should be alluding to Noivern spamming flying stab, not that Noivern can learn Switcheroo and Blace can’t haha get it, because blace learns trick and not switcheroo *pause for laughter*
Choice Specs Blacephalon (assuming Magic Guard because all the other abilites need way too much support) is suboptimal compared to MGLO because, while it does have better initial power and can cripple a switch-in (once), it is also much easier to deal with defensively because of immunites to the STAB moves it locks itself into, and after it Tricks away its Specs, it becomes much weaker and unable to outdamage Regenerator on something like Blissey. With MGLO, you can say that Blace can with 50/50s vs teams with 2 soft switch-ins, but with Choice Specs, Blace becomes more powerful at the expense of being much more reliant on prediction...which is the trade-off every Choice item mon makes. The lower power than MGLO after Tricking away its Specs also makes it unable to reach to rolls that MGLO can, which makes these sets seem suboptimal in my eyes compared to MGLO.

Noivern could spam Aerialate Boomburst because there were no type-based immunites to it, only resists that it could U-turn on (I mean Soundproof exists but same thing here). Blace's STABs both have immunities, lower base power than Aerialate Boomburst, lower PP (in Mind Blown's case), and no U-turn. This means if Noivern predicts incorrectly, you still got damage or a pivot off. If Choice Specs Blace predicts incorrectly, while there is still a chance that you do damage, it's also highly possible that you clicked a Fire move into AV Swampert and now have lost a turn. In a tier where pivoting and positioning is almost everything, giving free turns to pivots is one of the worst things you can do.

I don’t think mentioning how it can take a hit at full from most mons in A is irrelevant, especially considering blace will always be at full health with magic guard. In both of the replays I initially posted, blace was actually able to take a hit and deal damage in return. Osake made a really good DNB post in the aaa thread, and he mentioned this as well. Choosing to ignore this fact just shows how oblivious you were when reading my previous post and doing research. I didn’t even mention how blace always lives scald from uninvested fini and toxapex, but that clearly doesn’t matter.
In the QT vs Redflix replay, Blace clicked Calm Mind vs a Demon Mew when the game was already won at this point and took over a quarter from a 90 BP move, and in the MZ vs DJ Breloominati replay (in which the Blace user lost but apparently this doesn't matter), it took almost half from a crit Magma Storm from an uninvested Heatran, which would be 1/3rd without the crit (a crit that ultimately didn't matter), and MZ made an extremely risky move by pivoting in Blace on a Pokemon that could be running Earth Power. Being able to tank one uninvested resisted hit or setting up late-game on a mon with no SE moves doesn't really scream "oh my god its defensive profile is underrated" to me. This is something a multitude of breakers can do, like BD Kommo-O or SD Weavile when it was legal. Living Scald once from both Fini and Pex is something I didn't expect...but both of those mons also have Knock Off, which can cripple Blace much more than the damage from Scald would, so I don't see how this is relevant. All Blace's typing really does is make it stronger vs priority moves, and if that's your offensive counterplay for breakers, then maybe it should be changed.

Blace’s speed tier in comparison to weavile’s isn’t really that far off, there are maybe what, 3 somewhat common mons that fall in that range? Blace is almost always outspeeding 4/6 mons at the bare minimum, similarly to weavile. Weavile incorrectly clicking knock vs blace incorrectly clicking knock is extremely dependent on the situation, and I don’t think it happens as much as you think in actuality. It was a simple comparison between the two, my reasoning to ban isn't simply that blace is special weavile. If that's what you got out of my post, then that is unfortunate.
By 3 "somewhat common" mons, I believe you're referring to Terrakion, ZyDog, and Azelf. While ZyDog currently has low usage, Terrakion and Azelf are some of the most potent breakers in this tier, and absolutely must be prepared for when building. These aren't "somewhat common" mons; in fact, Azelf is ranked higher on the VR than Blacephalon, while Terrakion sits at the same rank as Blacephalon. Beyond these 3, there's also Alazkazam, Cinderace, and Latios that outspeed Blace but not Weavile (also max Speed Cobalion but that is not checking Blace), which leads to at least 6 more (unboosted) mons that can check Blace. While this doesn't seem like a lot, it is double the number of unboosted mons that could outspeed Weavile, and adding those 3 to the 6 we have gives us 9 mons (6 in A- or higher) that can outspeed and beat Blace. To me, considering the viability of these Pokemon, that sounds like adequate and reasonable offensive counterplay.

Believe it or not, I think this honestly helps the ban argument more than it hurts it. To me, one of the biggest issues with blace is that you have to check it without an item. This makes building for blace really restrictive, and often makes teams weak to other breakers when trying to solely prep for blace. For example, that 3 mon core listed gets obliterated by cb heracross/terrakion, sflo lele, specs primarina, and others.
You're not going to be able to defensively prepare for every single breaker, especially ones specifically made to break the 3 mon core I used as an example, like CB Heracross and SFLO Lele. That's simply a fact of AAA. I would argue that this could be unhealthy, but this is not the thread for that. This means that these mons must be prepared for offensively, and seeing as all of them have middling speed tiers (except for Terrakion, which is weak to Grassy Glide), this isn't a tall task.

I also don’t know how you can have a mid ground when blace is more often than not, life orb, meaning it is not locked into a move. This is basically just saying “use Blissey or make 50/50 reads”, not giving actual counterplay to blace.
I'm not sure why you're focusing on mid-ground when I also said you could have a secondary switch-in, but I will offer further clarification. By mid-ground, I didn't mean "something that can abuse Blace being locked into a move" but more of a pivot, like Regen Blissey, which can come in and pivot into an offensive check like Terrakion.

If I need to dedicate 3 mons in the builder just for blace, that is the very definition of centralizing, and sounds more than ban worthy in my eyes.
The number 3 I'm guessing means 1 direct switch-in + 1 pivot/secondary switch-in + 1 offensive check, not 3 defensive mons, because that actually is overcentralizing. I did not say 3 defensive mons needed to solely switch into Blace, so I guess you are alluding to the former. In that case, this is not as big of an issue as you claim because teams naturally have these mons when preparing for everything else. Simply looking at the sample teams, all of the teams listed have at least 2 mons that can deal with Blace either offensively or defensively, with more than half of these teams having 3 mons, which according to you is overcentralizing, yet these teams are still successful enough to be used as samples. These are teams that, when building around its breakers, most likely did not specifically account for Blacephalon, yet managed to find natural counterplay regardless.

That's cool and all, but please do not use my post to advocate for something unrelated to this thread. Thank you xoxo
#BanGenesect (okay but seriously if mods don't want me to say this in this thread, then I won't, but it doesn't say anywhere that I can't so...)

Tournament winrate is not a good metric when assessing how healthy something is in a specific way by itself. Camomons banned spectrier, even though it had a 44.44% win rate in world cup. STABmons banned dragonite even though it had a 30% win rate in world cup. Blace falls in between the two at 37.50% (not including atha vs racool remake which would make it exactly 50% [4/8 instead of 3/8]). In blace’s case, I think this mon just simply isn’t a tournament pick. When playing in tours, people tend to prepare for the meta’s top threats more than normal. People tend to use safer, bulkier builds as a general rule. Blace actually goes against both of these philosophies, since it is extremely frail and extensively prepped for by most teams. Despite the small sample size, blace showed a restriction to the builder in these games, in addition to the ability to break through its more viable checks. World cup winrate doesn’t include ladder games, room tours, test games, om swiss/circuit winrate, and others in which it is generally agreed upon that blace is either one of very unhealthy, or broken. I also find it funny how you essentially lied about the winrate in wc to support your argument, whether that is intentional or unintentional idk.
Do you have any replays where a team that properly prepares for Blacephalon still loses? Because me and that both provided replay(s) that showed Blace not being broken. I appreciate the Atha vs racool remake, but it looks like another example of a player not adequately preparing for Blacephalon and losing to a Blace with more support than you would normally give a breaker. I politely asked for replays showing cases like the ones I have mentioned and have not been given any. If they don't exist, then it just proves my point of people not properly preparing for Blace, losing to it, and calling it broken.

I do think people should draw conclusions for themselves, after all that is why the council has allowed for there to be a suspect in the first place. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I respect people who do not want blace to be banned, I just ask that there is fundamentally sound logic and accurate information about the stance. I do not appreciate my post getting quoted multiple times to try shifting the narrative, especially when there is flawed logic. Also the typing is not terrible, agree to disagree n_n
I apologize if this is not the intention of this paragraph, but this comes off as immensely passive-aggressive towards me and Atha for no reason. You have provided no examples of me shifting the narrative. The narrative is if Blace is banworthy or not and I said "I don't think it is", how exactly is providing reasons for that "shifting the narrative"? I struggle to understand this and am genuinely asking how it is. It seems that, gauging from the number of Haha reacts on the DNB posts as well as the arguments I'm seeing, Blace will most likely be banned, which is a pity because Blace has ended up being great offensive glue for teams.

Edit: Sniped by Atha

iapt

the unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Confirming as ubclownoff
20211221_092510.jpg

Reading back through all the posts, I dont really have much to add to anything, I will most likely be voting ban despite blace leaving means stall gets better :(

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Confirming as "UBCLOWN is borked"

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 4.49.23 PM.png

I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, and am probably going to vote BAN unless my opinion changes pretty drastically.

EDIT: Image was tiny and bad quality, my bad.

EDIT 2: If anyone wants to know the team I used, here it is;

Attachments

Last edited:

martinvtran

Banned deucer.
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.46.31 pm.png

I used UT's team consistently throughout my run and it's great at farming the ladder since barely any teams are prepared for Expanding Force + Psyshock under terrain. I replaced Azelf with this Alakazam set because I preferred nuking opponents with Alakazam's 135 Special Attack and 120 Speed. I lost my first game due because the opponent's team was full of Steel types, particularly Genesect, which is great at sweeping this team. My second lost was because I was being stupid and Psyshocked a Stackatacka instead of using Expanding Force and my third loss was due to hax.

:ss/alakazam:
Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Expanding Force
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

I don't think Blacephalon is as threatening as other A-class sweepers. Blacephalon does possess terrifying offensive power, whether it's Specs Desolate Land or Magic Guard Mind Blown. I find the Specs Desolate Land set to be the most threatening as common checks to Blacephalon are limited: Blissey can safely take one Fire-type attack but fails to retaliate since Blacephalon is immune to Seismic Toss, hence it can only pivot out to a faster attacker. Other Assault Vest tanks like Blaistose and Swampert don't appreciate repeatedly coming in to tank a Shadow Ball, especially after a Special Defense Drop. However, this set is easier to control since Blacephalon will be locked into one attack, meaning Flash Fire Pokémon such as Ferrothorn or Primordial Sea users such as Primarina could pose as a massive obstacle to Blacephalon's sweeping potential. Blacephalon does not appreciate switching in especially without the Heavy Duty Boots and Magic Guard protection from entry hazards. On the other hand, the Magic Guard set is very threatening in that Mind Blown can be abused over and over again without chipping at Blacephalon's HP, however it is noticably weaker without the 1.5 damage increase from the Choice Specs and Harsh Sunlight. Blacephalon can be compared to Adaptability Weavile in being a super fast, threatening attacker, but it does lack the vital priority and effective typing that made Weavile so versatile and powerful. Hence, any strong priority user, Choice Scarf user or generally any faster attacker will probably be able to OHKO Blacephalon, even without a super-effective attack, since Blacephalon is incredibly frail.

MagearnaTheBoss

formerly MTB
is a Tiering Contributor
Screenshot_12.png

Confirming as UBCLOWN 123
Overall laddering AAA was very fun and I heavily enjoyed it especially after making about 4 accounts and playing a total of about 200 games on all 4 (Im not really this bad, just some bad luck struck me yk). Anyway, after my 200 game plus experience so far I think it's safe to say Blacephalon isn't as Overpowered as it's other A-Tier accomplices, and I'm definitely going to vote DNB as I think it's controllable. (Expect the scarf deso-solarbeam ones). In Conclusion, Fun Tier, DNB, It's gonna be hard to get over the aaa mechanics player other formats.

Teams I used:
https://pokepast.es/47e7067918235ede - This is Psychic Terrain Abusive team I created as many of the low-ish ladder player's aren't ready for it (Played perhaps 1/5 battles with this)
https://pokepast.es/2eaed46063447acb - This is Atha team :) (thank you) but I pretty much only changed mienshao for Terrakion as it is just way better. (Played about nearly every battle with this team after I figured out the tier well)

9877897.png

Blacephalon isn't a 100% broken Pokémon, but with the right players and the right setup it's an incredible monster to fear. First of all, Magic Guard Choice Spec pushes you to have a defensive pokemon like Blissey or any other that stops its fire stab (Primordial Sea, type resitete, etc.), I don't like to carry a pokemon just to stop another that already tells you the domain of a specific pokemon. I've also seen it with chlorophyll and adaptability; These last two are more complicated to use because you have to configure them, but even if you don't have the defensive response, you will have a hard time.

One set that stood out on the surface was the Tinted Lens Choice spec and it was amazing because the opponent wasn't expecting it and it hits hard. In short, this pokemon with its great offensive power coupled with decent speed and great versatility that allows it to further increase its attack make this pokemon have a necessary defensive response. I would opt for the ban.

Blacephalon is not broken because the player is not ready?

Okay, but IT IS NOT HEALTHY TO PREPARE JUST TO RESPOND TO A POKEMON.

Personally, I would not use Blacephalon due to the fact that players have prepared for it, or higher ranked players. That's why I came up with the choice spec-tinted lens-overheat option to surprise and it was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)