Hello, and welcome to the current AG Next Best Thing! This project aims to discover unexplored and unique sets for Pokemon in the AG metagame that may not be standard now, but actually work well enough to possibly become the new standard, or at least be quite effective. There are plenty of examples of new sets that have become just as standard as old sets or even overtaken them. As a community, it is our goal in this thread to find new sets for established AG threats that may in time even be considered standard or at least close to it. If your favorite Pokemon is Mewtwo, don't worry, we'll cover even niche Pokemon to give them a chance to shine!
How will this project work?
Each week, I will choose a Pokemon on the AG Viability Rankings. You will have 4 days to come up with and post an original set for that Pokemon, along with an explanation of how the set works. In the 3 days after that, the community will vote on which set is the most creative as well as viable. By "original sets", I mean sets that are not already being given main sets on the Smogon analyses (for Pokemon that do not have in progress analyses yet, you will have to use your judgment on what is considered creative and uncommon enough to be worthy of a set here. You can send me a PM here, on Pokémon Showdown!, or on Discord if you aren't sure).
When choosing a set to nominate, you should keep in mind how viable and how unique it is. Despite this project being about uniqueness, please refrain from posting overly gimmicky sets like Choice Band Zygarde. However, your set should not simply be a standard set with a slight deviation either, such as Chople Berry over Leftovers on Ferrothorn, unless that change achieves something notable. That said, single move changes are generally okay as long as the new move does something specific that the normal set cannot do, such as breaking past a certain check or counter.
- Feel free to be as creative as you want! Just make sure that you can prove that your set stands apart from the standard sets, especially if yours does not appear much different from the standard ones. Make sure your set is viable as well. The Smogon Strategy Dex is your best friend here.
- Add an explanation to your post about what your innovation accomplishes, how it differentiates itself from standard creations, etc. It helps people, including the host and even yourself, to understand where your nomination is coming from. Not making one inconveniences others and is, quite frankly, lazy.
- Please submit only one set for every round. Also, make sure that your set isn't very similar to one submitted by someone else.
- Adding formatting to your post in the correct areas also helps readers to understand how your set is special from the standard. Keep it under check, though; adding too much formatting doesn't help and just makes your post obnoxious to read.
- Feel free to post replays of your set in action; this will only help everyone (including yourself) understand whether/how your set can be game changing in some particular situations.
- Do not edit your nomination post after the voting phase has started.
- You may reserve sets, but must have the nomination up in 24 hours of that reservation. Afterwards, others may take your set if you do not get up your own set before them.
- During voting stage, please don't vote for your own set; if you think your own set is the best, just abstain from the vote.
- Bandwagon votes are not allowed and will not be counted.
- Posts that are deemed too gimmicky or are not serious at all will be deleted.
- Changes in votes are allowed, but must be done within the three day deadline.