Resource SS CAP Viability Rankings (Pre-DLC 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hi everyone!

The VR team has a couple announcements.

1) We’re locking this thread for a couple days while everyone gets comfortable with the Magearna and Cinderace bans, as well as the Astrolotl nerf. Expect some discussion points when we reopen the thread!

2) We are planning two small updates for the remainder of CAPPL. The first will be by next Monday and will focus more on decluttering the lower tiers of the VR. The second will focus more on the upper ranks after the metagame has adequately shifted to the Mag/Ace bans and Astro nerf.

Alright everyone, time for another update! But, before that, please everyone welcome our two newest additions to the VR Council: 2spoopy4u and againa. With that out of the way, let's get back to business:
Rises:

Slowbro A- → A
Kerfluffle B → A-
Rillaboom B+ → A-
Rotom-Wash B+ → A-
Azumarill B → B+
Cawmodore B- → B+
Hawlucha B → B+
Crawdaunt C → B-
Plasmanta UR → B-

Drops:

Astrolotl S → A+
Rotom-Heat A+ → A
Syclant A → A-
Kyurem A- → B+
Pajantom A- → B+
Arghonaut B+ → B
Corviknight B+ → B
Jirachi B+ → B
Stratagem B+ → B
Togekiss B+ → B
Urshifu-Rapid Strike B+ → B
Colossoil B → B-
Gengar B → B-
Marowak-Alola B → B-
Mew B → B-
Reuniclus B → B-
Seismitoad B → B-
Aurumoth B- → C
Barraskewda B- → C
Ditto B- → C
Dracozolt B+ → C
Gastrodon B- → C
Mamoswine B → C
Necrozma B- → C
Necturna B- → C
Porygon2 B- → C
Primarina B-→ C
Skarmory B- → C
Caribolt C → UR
Cloyster C → UR
Conkeldurr B- → UR
Darmanitan C → UR
Hatterene C → UR
Heracross C → UR
Incineroar C → UR
Keldeo C → UR
Mantine C → UR
Obstagoon C → UR
Salazzle B- → UR
Talonflame C → UR
Tyranitar C → UR
As promised, this update was mostly dedicated to cleaning up the lower ranks, which were bloated with Pokemon of dubious merits. Here's a brief explanation of some of the most significant changes:

S to A+ After its recent nerf, Astrolotl has dropped in usage a bit, but still remains as a fantastic glue mon that fits into many different playstyles, so it's still placed comfortably at A+.

:kerfluffle:B to A- Kerfluffle has seen a lot of usage this CAPPL. It can keep momentum very efficiently thanks to Parting Shot and combined with delayed moves and Spikes support, it can quickly overwhelm the opposing team. It's also a decent offensive check to the dangerous Urshifu, something that many teams appreciate a lot.

:Rotom-Wash:B+ to A- A very interesting anti metagame pick at the moment, Rotom-W can use the ubiquitous Equilibra as set up bait while maintaining a much better matchup against Slowking/bro than Rotom-H.

:cawmodore:B- to B+ With Cinderace banned and many teams depending on Pokemon like Blissey that can be used as set-up bait, Cawmodore has seen more usage lately and it has proven to be a threat that you really need to be wary of when building a team.

:plasmanta: UR to B- This CAP has recently started seeing usage for being a decent anti meta pick capable of punishing Tomohawk+Equilibra cores with a set consisting of Magnet Rise/Body Press/Thunderbolt/Sludge Wave. For this reason, it's getting added to the B- Rank.

:caribolt::cloyster::conkeldurr::hatterene::keldeo::obstagoon::tyranitar:and many others to UR None of these mons have seen significant usage lately, and the VR council believes they no longer hold any real niche in the current metagame, so they are being removed from the Viability Rankings.

Great, now drop Rotom-H further. Its barely used at all anymore with Astrolotl, as you said, being such instrumental team glue. Its also not hard to bait and the drawback of using overheat means it either needs to nasty plot or switch out, which isn't that great when it getting knocked means taking 25% from rocks.

:rotom-heat: to A- or B+

Also, what does Magnezone do again? It gets walled by libra unless it uses a body press set, but even that isn't good against it (0 SpA Equilibra Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 160-190 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)(252+ Def Magnezone Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Equilibra: 182-216 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Its speed tier is meh leaving it to be beaten by most of CAP. Its also generally not used at all.

:magnezone: to C or even UR

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Great, now drop Rotom-H further. Its barely used at all anymore with Astrolotl, as you said, being such instrumental team glue. Its also not hard to bait and the drawback of using overheat means it either needs to nasty plot or switch out, which isn't that great when it getting knocked means taking 25% from rocks.

:rotom-heat: to A- or B+

Also, what does Magnezone do again? It gets walled by libra unless it uses a body press set, but even that isn't good against it (0 SpA Equilibra Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 160-190 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)(252+ Def Magnezone Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Equilibra: 182-216 (52.7 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Its speed tier is meh leaving it to be beaten by most of CAP. Its also generally not used at all.

:magnezone: to C or even UR
Magnezone's big set atm is not Magnet Pull, but Specs Analytic, allowing it to nuke almost every switchin in the metagame (perhaps outside of Equilibra itself). If a team does the disservice of not running Equilibra, its basically free to click Volt Switch and 2HKO resists, and anything immune to Switch takes a hearty amount of damage from Flash Cannon. Its no top tier threat, but its certainly a viable one.

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Some noms:

:smokomodo: to A-/A: This thing has so much potential, it isn't even funny. It's one of the most reliable checks to Equi, and is countered by basically nothing except for Rocky Helmet Tomo. Fire/Ground hits almost everything unresisted, and Morning Sun+Toxic gives it cool utility in comparison to other fire type wall-breakers. Ik that slowking is a team, but slowking can't rlly do much against sun. In conclusion, Smoko is scary on Sun, scary for equilibra, an earthquake is scary for pex, and status is scary for tomo/mandi. Hence, A-/A

:terrakion: to B-/C: Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thing sees little to no usage, and for good reason. Pex beats it, Mandi beats it, the Slowtwins beat it, Tomo beats it... basically almost every relevant defensive mon beats it. Along with that, it loses to Zera and Bao. Ig it has a niche in killing astro along with srock but that's basically it. So, in short, if u want a physical wallbreaker, use shifu... don't use terrakion

:amoonguss: to B+: This mon is definitely a viable pick for FWG regen cores and just a good pick is general, I just have a hard time justifying an A- position in a meta full of Astro. Future Sight, Tomo and Urshifu also kinda wreck it, and it loses most of it's utility once it gets a single Spore off. Good choice for stally or bulky teams, but IMO it isn't worthy of being an A tier mon

I got a nom too:

:jellicent: for C
Ive been using this mon a little recently as part of this core :jellicent: :arghonaut: :equilibra: which was originally an attempt to showcase arghonaut which has fallen off hard recently. Turns out Jelli has put in some work and I think its worthy of ranking because its the most reliable spinblocker in the tier. This is the set:

:sm/jellicent:
Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic
- Taunt

Benefits of running Jellicent:
+ Beats the two most reliable hazard removers in the meta, Tomohawk and Libra, allowing spikes laid by Astrolotl or Argho etc to remain up
+ Positive matchup vs strong pokemon like Volcarona, Kerfluffle, as well as interrupting passive playstyles from things like Blissey Pex and Slowking
+ Dumps on rain
+ Beats the spinblockers better than Paj/Rev and does it even if it needs to eat delayed moves on the switchin
Negatives of Jellicent:
- loses momentum
- needs to be used with spikes and doesnt appreciate defoggers
- its weak and doesnt always kill the regen mons it handles until a lategame situation

ig its pretty self explanatory but i remembered i need replays for nom so here ya go heres the last 2 matches i played
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1175949496-ck18oippjulyasn39dlhzxmp3p3et4lpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1175788377-2tlfuk7snphkxg26aqurwjb8m5e06hzpw
maybe can add some more later

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
more noms yay, most of these will be drops that shouldn't really be effected by the Equilibra nerfs

rises
:astrolotl: A+ -> S
It never should have dropped. Trick and Explosion removals were mostly lateral changes that just removed some niche sets, while the loss of Toxic hasn't been that detrimental because Knock Off + Fire Lash + Spikes still forces progress super hard.

:toxapex: A+ -> S
I'm not really sure what all needs to be explained here, but Toxapex is the best purely defensive Pokemon in the tier. The amount of insane utility it offers between Knock Off, Haze, Toxic Spikes, and scouting foes with Regenerator and its great bulk and resistances makes it one of the easiest glue Pokemon to slap on teams. It possesses great utility with other common balance Pokemon like Equilibra and Zeraora in the sense that it is great at forcing progress in the long term.

I also do think there is a case for an S- to be made. I would say Zeraora and Urshifu-S are definitely a step above the rest of A+ but a tad worse than what is in S (and the two Pokemon I think that should be moved into S). Zeraora is the pivot in CAP; it's just super reliable at doing a whole assortment of things from cleaning to being generally annoying with Knock Off and Volt Switch, while Urshifu-S is well... Urshifu-S. The Wicked Blow machine. It will always be a pain in the ass for teams to deal with, and if you don't have Tomohawk you are likely one Spikes layer away from just having your entire team blown through. It also holds an INSANE spot in the tier currently because of how well it synergizes with the delay move users.

:kyurem: B+ -> A-
I think Magearna and Cinderace going has helped Kyurem reestablish a good spot in the metagame. Between its Choice Specs and mixed Dragon Dance sets, it's frankly a bitch to prepare for adequately because each set has very distinct counterplay that, in all honesty, isn't that reliable.

drops
:slowbro: A -> B+/B
Perhaps this is somewhat controversial, but I am of the belief Slowbro is not that good. The main issue really is how good Slowking is in terms of CAP's metagame as opposed to OU's (and even in OU Slowbro is not as good as it was earlier in the metagame); it's much easier to justify Slowking because of its synergy with other common pivots like Equilibra, Tomohawk, and Astrolotl. Additionally, Slowking is super helpful in being able to open up Equilibra to run Bulletproof over Levitate, making it much easier to completely sit on foes like non-Close Combat Aegislash and standard Alakazam. Slowbro, however, just doesn't really contribute much in comparison. It fails to reliably handle really any of the common Pokemon outside of sort of Astrolotl? Even there, all you really do is throw off easily healed Scalds. Defensively too I think Slowbro contributes not a whole lot; it loses to all of the common wallbreakers except sort of Terrakion, which isn't that relevant. Overall, I think a major drop is necessary, hence me including a drop to B in this nomination, but if the council wanted to play it slower and just drop it to B+, I'd still accept that.

:azumarill: B+ -> B/B-
Rillaboom is very common and prevents Azumarill from cleaning teams as much as it'd like to, while Toxapex and Amoonguss are both very common presences as a result of Urshifu-S being scary. PerishTrap sets are fine but nothing worth keeping Azumarill this high on the VR.

:smokomodo: B+ -> B-
This is not a good option. It's good only into stall teams that lack Slowbro. Like, its entire niche is that it's a stallbreaker, but it doesn't excel at anything else, and it really isn't even that good at anything else. I guess it helps against some common balance cores? But even then it's not that hard to pivot around with Pokemon like Toxapex and Tomohawk.

:kingdra: B- -> UR
Similar to a later UR nomination, rain isn't really relevant enough to justify calling Kingdra a B- Pokemon. Its niche is significantly less relevant than that of say, Cyclohm, and I think it's frankly outdone on rain by Pelipper as a special wallbreaker.

:snorlax: B- -> C
On paper at least Snorlax has some niche in helping handle certain wallbreakers like Kyurem and helping against Astrolotl, but eh? In practice it doesn't really do much of anything, and I think its niche is generally outdone by more relevant Pokemon like Slowking and Equilibra anyhow. Being a bulky win condition is cool for sure, but I don't view it as much else.

:torkoal: B- -> UR
Torkoal isn't viable, not even for role compression. Jumbao is entirely the superior sun setter, and I don't think you want to compromise your other team slots by using both of them. I think the sun team used by Andy in finals of this CAP PL is very indicative of what the playstyle should use. Jumbao + Venusaur + Charizard (or other special Fire-type like Volcarona or Chandelure) are irreplaceable in my eyes, and I think you want to dedicate your last three to defensive tools. Tomohawk is, in my eyes, sun's best possible Stealth Rock setter, while Blissey is honestly really hard to drop. I don't really see any world in which Torkoal offers anything meaningful to sun teams.

:barraskewda: C -> UR
The more I've thought about it, the more I'm willing to say Barraskewda has no niche in this tier---at least, no niche worth ranking it for. There are generally better wallbreakers to use on rain, and rain isn't really that relevant of a playstyle to begin with (I can only remember one use of it this CAP PL?).

:grimmsnarl: C -> UR
Prankster dual screens sounds nice on paper, but Grimmsnarl is wholly outclassed by Dragapult for screens setting. Dragapult's great speed makes up for no Prankster, and its pivoting with U-turn is a huge boon. I guess Grimmsnarl has Taunt, but I don't view that as a saving grace worth keeping it ranked for.

Time for another VR update!
Code:
Rises:
Astrolotl A+ → S
Kyurem B+ → A-
Pajantom B+ → A-
Aegislash B → B+
Togekiss B → B+
Gengar B → B+
Cyclohm B- → B
Rhyperior B- → B
Primarina C → B-
Charizard UR → B-

Drops:
Mandibuzz A+ → A
Rotom-Heat A → A-
Slowbro A → B+
Ferrothorn A- → B+
Azumarill B+ → B
Hippowdon B+ → B
Smokomodo B+ → B
Arghonaut B → B-
Chansey B → B-
Fidgit B → B-
Jirachi B → B-
Stratagem B → B-
Kingdra B- → C
Magnezone B → C
Marowak-Alola B- → C
Seismitoad B- → C
Torkoal B- → C
Barraskewda C → UR
Grimmsnarl C → UR
Porygon2 C → UR
Pyroak C → UR
Here's a brief explanation for some of the most important changes:
  • :equilibra: Remains S: While its firepower has decreased and it no longer has Bulletproof, Equilibra still remains a cut above everything else, so it maintains its rank for the moment.
  • :astrolotl:A+ → S: Well that didn't last for long. Even after its nerf, Astrolotl continues to be a dominant presence in the metagame thanks to a myriad of options it can use to fill gaps on virtually any team, so it raises once again to S-Rank.
  • :pajantom: B+ → A- : Pajantom has seen some decent usage lately, as it can be incredibly punishing if the opponent predicts wrong just once with its combination of raw power, Spirit Shackle, and Toxic.
  • :charizard: UR → B-: This Pokemon has seen some success on Sun builds thanks to the raw power of its Choice Specs set, so it manages to earn a place on the VR at B-.
  • :aegislash: B → B+ / :gengar: B- → B+: With Bulletproof Equilibra out of the picture, both of these Ghost-types have a much easier time spamming their powerful Shadow Balls, which makes them much more reliable and dangerous than before.
  • :fidgit: B→ B- / :marowak-alola: B- → C / :porygon2: C → UR : Trick Room has not really been able to live up to its initial hype after the DLC dropped and doesn't really have any presence in the current meta, so it's only natural for the common members of the archetype move down on the VR.
  • :grimmsnarl: C → UR: Its previous niche, Dual Screens has been taken over by Dragapult and Astrolotl, so this no longer has any practical use.

If you have any questions about the rest of the changes, feel free to talk to me or other members of the VR Council about them via Discord or PS.

G-Luke

Nominating some hot mons here

:Slowking: To S
Slowking has cemented itself as THE bulky water of the metagame, and its presence on the battlefield is almost constantly felt. Being able to eat special hits from top dogs in Tomohawk and Equilibra for days thanks to its fat bulk and access to Regenerator, makes it a mainstay on almost every balance build around. The dreaded Teleport also bolsters its utility, allowing it to eat a special hit from almost any breaker, and safely bring in a countermeasure, all while healing off any damage thanks to Regen. The real meat to Slowking however, is Future Sight, apired with Teleport and a strong breaker, allows it to almost always make progress thanks to how inssanely difficult it is to switch in on a wallbreaker backed by Future Sight. Its effect on the metagame has m9ved from a dominating presense to that of a centralizing one, and I believe its time that presence be reflected in its rankings.

:Kerfluffle: To A
Kerfluffle has been on a roll recently, and key changes in the metagame (the rise of Dragon type spam, Equilibra's loss of Bulletproof) have shifted its viability ever so slightly in its favor. Dragon types being a popular pick atm demands a Pokemon that can deter them from mindlessly clicking their STAB attacks, and I believe Kerfluffle is the best position to do so right now. The real kicker that led me to nominate Kerf however is Equilibra losing Bulletproof. This is huge for Kerf, as prior, it was basically required to run Close Combat, or it became a complete momentum sink for Bulletproof Equilibra, which wasn't the main set, but was steadily gaining popularity. Now that it has been removed, its 3rd move slot is free to experiment on other options, ranging from its classic Sludge Bomb to nail opposing Fairies to status like Taunt (dual STAB alone serves it perfectly fine as a pivot option). Why, just today, i faced quziel using a Kerfluffle against my Aegislash. Silly me thinking this was the safest switch in in the world, I was surprised when Kerfluffle whipped out Snarl, blowing back my Aegislash to the netherlands. It not being constricted to CC allows Kerfluffle to support its team even more, and that combined with its positive matchup against several top Pokemon, I think it is a cut above the rest of A-.

:Krilowatt: To A- / A
Quite frankly, it being B+ for so long is blasphemy! Krilowatt has been at the top of its game for a very long time in the metagame, having coverage between its STABs and Ice Beam to hit every single pivot that has been running rampant in the metagame sans Zeraora and Astrolotl in the metagame for SE damage, while also being an offensive pivot itself lends itself greatly. It has consistently performed well in every match I've seen it used, and even with the ubiquitous lKnock Off hurting it, not once has Krilowatt been used and left a player feeling underwhelmed. Magic Guard is truly its best weapon, as being able to ignore passive damage allows it to potentially outlast even the stuff Regenerator pivot cores that have been running amok. As I said, this Pokémon was A- material EONS ago, and now, where its even BETTER, should be considered for A rank.

And finally a drop. A big one at that.

:Tomohawk: To A+
Tomohawk isn't the dominant force it once was. Tomohawk suffers from a similar situation that it had in Gen 7, but to a much lesser degree - Threats that naturally beat Tomohawk have gained popularity, both independently and as a direct result of Tomo's dominance. The rise of several Electric types like Krilowatt, Cyclohm, Plasmanta and the continued success of Zeraora has put a damper on its effectiveness, making its Hurricanes a whole lot less spammable, while also getting clean kills versus the Pokémon. Clear Body CB Dragapult is a direct response to teams over relying on Intimidate Hawk as their primary physically defensive answer, and with Ghost types in general rising up in usage, its losing traction to other defensive flying types such as Mandibuzz which can handle them better. The aforementioned Kerfluffle annoys the hell out of it as well, as well as options like Terrakion rising as Fighting types that don't straight up falter to it. Really, its how much a perfect Urshifu counter it serves that is holding up Tomohawk. And then Slowking appeared. Slowking not only completely walls Tomohawk and gets infinite momentum from it, but its Future Sight helps to facilitate Urshifu, the one mon Tomo counters better than anything else, into beating the Pokémon with relative ease, thanks to it being impossible for Tomohawk to live SR + Choice Band Wicked Blow + Future Sight. And with just how prominent these builds are atm, Tomohawk is definitely at a loss for what to do. TLDR, the metagame has gotten so used to Tomohawk, its gotten quite good at beating it, making it be overall less effective and not worthy of S Rank.

Last edited:
Nominating some hot mons here

:Slowking: To S
Slowking has cemented itself as THE bulky water of the metagame, and its presence on the battlefield is almost constantly felt. Being able to eat special hits from top dogs in Tomohawk and Equilibra for days thanks to its fat bulk and access to Regenerator, makes it a mainstay on almost every balance build around. The dreaded Teleport also bolsters its utility, allowing it to eat a special hit from almost any breaker, and safely bring in a countermeasure, all while healing off any damage thanks to Regen. The real meat to Slowking however, is Future Sight, apired with Teleport and a strong breaker, allows it to almost always make progress thanks to how inssanely difficult it is to switch in on a wallbreaker backed by Future Sight. Its effect on the metagame has m9ved from a dominating presense to that of a centralizing one, and I believe its time that presence be reflected in its rankings.

:Kerfluffle: To A
Kerfluffle has been on a roll recently, and key changes in the metagame (the rise of Dragon type spam, Equilibra's loss of Bulletproof) have shifted its viability ever so slightly in its favor. Dragon types being a popular pick atm demands a Pokemon that can deter them from mindlessly clicking their STAB attacks, and I believe Kerfluffle is the best position to do so right now. The real kicker that led me to nominate Kerf however is Equilibra losing Bulletproof. This is huge for Kerf, as prior, it was basically required to run Close Combat, or it became a complete momentum sink for Bulletproof Equilibra, which wasn't the main set, but was steadily gaining popularity. Now that it has been removed, its 3rd move slot is free to experiment on other options, ranging from its classic Sludge Bomb to nail opposing Fairies to status like Taunt (dual STAB alone serves it perfectly fine as a pivot option). Why, just today, i faced quziel using a Kerfluffle against my Aegislash. Silly me thinking this was the safest switch in in the world, I was surprised when Kerfluffle whipped out Snarl, blowing back my Aegislash to the netherlands. It not being constricted to CC allows Kerfluffle to support its team even more, and that combined with its positive matchup against several top Pokemon, I think it is a cut above the rest of A-.

:Krilowatt: To A- / A
Quite frankly, it being B+ for so long is blasphemy! Krilowatt has been at the top of its game for a very long time in the metagame, having coverage between its STABs and Ice Beam to hit every single pivot that has been running rampant in the metagame sans Zeraora and Astrolotl in the metagame for SE damage, while also being an offensive pivot itself lends itself greatly. It has consistently performed well in every match I've seen it used, and even with the ubiquitous lKnock Off hurting it, not once has Krilowatt been used and left a player feeling underwhelmed. Magic Guard is truly its best weapon, as being able to ignore passive damage allows it to potentially outlast even the stuff Regenerator pivot cores that have been running amok. As I said, this Pokémon was A- material EONS ago, and now, where its even BETTER, should be considered for A rank.

And finally a drop. A big one at that.

:Tomohawk: To A+
Tomohawk isn't the dominant force it once was. Tomohawk suffers from a similar situation that it had in Gen 7, but to a much lesser degree - Threats that naturally beat Tomohawk have gained popularity, both independently and as a direct result of Tomo's dominance. The rise of several Electric types like Krilowatt, Cyclohm, Plasmanta and the continued success of Zeraora has put a damper on its effectiveness, making its Hurricanes a whole lot less spammable, while also getting clean kills versus the Pokémon. Clear Body CB Dragapult is a direct response to teams over relying on Intimidate Hawk as their primary physically defensive answer, and with Ghost types in general rising up in usage, its losing traction to other defensive flying types such as Mandibuzz which can handle them better. The aforementioned Kerfluffle annoys the hell out of it as well, as well as options like Terrakion rising as Fighting types that don't straight up falter to it. Really, its how much a perfect Urshifu counter it serves that is holding up Tomohawk. And then Slowking appeared. Slowking not only completely walls Tomohawk and gets infinite momentum from it, but its Future Sight helps to facilitate Urshifu, the one mon Tomo counters better than anything else, into beating the Pokémon with relative ease, thanks to it being impossible for Tomohawk to live SR + Choice Band Wicked Blow + Future Sight. And with just how prominent these builds are atm, Tomohawk is definitely at a loss for what to do. TLDR, the metagame has gotten so used to Tomohawk, its gotten quite beating it, making it be overall less effective and not worthy of S Rank.
Since I’m in the VR team I’ve stopped making posts here which I think is criminal, so here is one to share my thoughts on these nominations.

:slowking: to S
After thinking about it a lot I disagree with this one. Yes, slowking is extremely easy to fit on balance builds, yes it guarantees momentum, yes it’s one of the very few Equilibra checks as well as checking Tomohawk ; but I think its main and big weakness is that it’s not threatening. Its only move that directly hits its opponent is Scald, letting basically any opposing Pokémon come and do what they want to do. Sometimes it can’t really teleport after having used Future Sight because the opposing mon now threatens it with an ohko. Sometimes it’s free hazards or hazards removal. And it’s not that easy to break with Future Sight + a breaker because it depends a lot on matchup. In my opinion Slowking belongs in A+ as it’s less centralizing than the S tier Pokémon.

:kerfluffle: to A
I completely agree with this one, although I’m not convinced at all by Snarl Kerf.

:Krilowatt: to A- / A
I’m honestly not sure about this one but I think Krilowatt is either B+ or A-. I feel like it suffers from Astrolotl’s overwhelming presence and Knock Off in general, but at the same time it’s such a good pivot. I’d probably lean towards A-.

:tomohawk: to A+
Hell no ! Tomohawk is the most centralizing mon in the metagame because of how incredibly reliable it is. When you have Tomohawk you can basically say good bye to physical threats, in the teambuilder at least. It’s almost a Zeraora check, especially when paired with Astrolotl. Also when you look at the VR, it’s the only true physical wall right now. All other walls are mixed walls, basically because they rely so much on Tomohawk. To me, Tomohawk is at the peak of S tier with Astrolotl. If I had to consider a drop it would be Equilibra for sure.

Ok, hear me out on these:

:aurumoth: back to B-

Sure, it may still be hard to just slap on a team, seeing how it needs to have hazards and certain mons like Astro to go away first, but if you can get the dance off, it can truly rip weakened teams apart, beating Mollux, Amoongus, Weavile, Blissey, Hydreigon, Slowking, Libra, Zeraora, and Kerfluffle among others. (That list technically isn't correct since it can't set up on some of those things, primarily the dark types, but once its set up, it tears through them) It can also solidly take a hit to set up off of 110/99/60, primarily surviving almost all knock offs from full hp (Here's Zera's: 252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurumoth: 192-228 (53.1 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). It can also use a sash to guarantee set up as long as hazards are gone (which shouldn't be too difficult when 2/3 S tier mons are good spinners) and can thus usually pull off a boost on a semi-consistant basis. It also has no real competition for its specific set of attributes, but gets kinda overlooked when looking for "sweepers". Thus, I believe it deserves B- back.

:rotom-heat: to B+

What does this thing do again? Oh right. Walled by Astro, Blissey, Seismitoad on rain and Rhyperior on sun. Its still decent, its just that its wash counterpart is better, still hitting libra for big damage while not being walled astro or by ground types that can give rotom-heat trouble and beat it one-on-one for good measure.

:blissey: to A+

There is absolutely no defensive/stally team that doesn't benefit from adding Blissey. It is a team's special wall and, with teleport, gives your team momentum. Due to natural cure, its also a good status absorber. And with tomo to halt most physical attackers, its one of the best things to pair with Blissey while being walled by opposing Blissey itself. Generally miles more useful than the rest of A.

:syclant: to B+ or B

How is it still A-? It is weak to a slew of common moves, such as Tomo's Hurricane and Astrolotl's Fire Lash and every non super-effective hit will usually KO it anyways, limiting its ability to switch in.
Zeraora: 252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Syclant: 198-234 (70.4 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dragapult: 252+ Atk Life Orb Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Syclant: 296-350 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Attack Astrolotl: 0 Atk Astrolotl Fire Lash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Syclant: 496-588 (176.5 - 209.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Alakazam: 228 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Syclant: 277-328 (98.5 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

:gengar: to B or B-

It really is just too frail to switch in to almost any attacks. If you want a CAP fairy wall, just use Aegislash, which also offers more defensive utility.

Astrolotl withat least 164 neutral nature attack: 164 Atk Astrolotl Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 262-310 (100.3 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If you're arguing that gengar isn't common enoguh to warrant that, then that's a reason it shouldn't be B+)
Dragapult: 252+ Atk Life Orb Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 336-398 (128.7 - 152.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Zeraora: 252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 288-340 (110.3 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Alakazam: 228 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 486-577 (186.2 - 221%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Hydreigon: 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 339-399 (129.8 - 152.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Focus blast only has an 18.8% chance to OHKO)

G-Luke

:syclant: to B+ or B

How is it still A-? It is weak to a slew of common moves, such as Tomo's Hurricane and Astrolotl's Fire Lash and every non super-effective hit will usually KO it anyways, limiting its ability to switch in.
Zeraora: 252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Syclant: 198-234 (70.4 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dragapult: 252+ Atk Life Orb Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Syclant: 296-350 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Attack Astrolotl: 0 Atk Astrolotl Fire Lash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Syclant: 496-588 (176.5 - 209.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Alakazam: 228 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Syclant: 277-328 (98.5 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

:gengar: to B or B-

It really is just too frail to switch in to almost any attacks. If you want a CAP fairy wall, just use Aegislash, which also offers more defensive utility.

Astrolotl withat least 164 neutral nature attack: 164 Atk Astrolotl Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 262-310 (100.3 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (If you're arguing that gengar isn't common enoguh to warrant that, then that's a reason it shouldn't be B+)
Dragapult: 252+ Atk Life Orb Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 336-398 (128.7 - 152.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Zeraora: 252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 288-340 (110.3 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Alakazam: 228 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 486-577 (186.2 - 221%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Hydreigon: 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 339-399 (129.8 - 152.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Focus blast only has an 18.8% chance to OHKO)
The Syclant argument doesn't make much sense, because your main argument is that its weak to Tomohawk and Astrolotl, even though neither can't actually switch in?

252 Atk Choice Band Syclant Earthquake vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Astrolotl: 386-456 (102.9 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Possible damage amounts: (386, 392, 396, 400, 404, 410, 414, 418, 424, 428, 432, 436, 442, 446, 450, 456)

252 Atk Choice Band Syclant Icicle Crash vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Astrolotl: 246-291 (65.6 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (246, 249, 252, 255, 258, 261, 264, 267, 270, 273, 276, 279, 282, 285, 288, 291)

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Syclant Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Tomohawk: 224-266 (54.1 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (224, 228, 230, 234, 236, 240, 240, 242, 246, 248, 252, 254, 258, 260, 264, 266)

Syclant has never been about switching in on things, its a glass cannon. Its role is to revengekill or bust up holes in walls. The rise of Dragon types, Syclant and pivoting builds in general boosts Syclant's viability since its a great means of revenge killing both, while also being an excellent fit on the latter.

A similar thing for Gengar. Gengar isn't used as a "Fairy wall". Its used as a wallbreaker that takes advantage of the fact that the list of Shadow Ball switchins are Mandibuzz and Blissey, the latter of which is set up bait for and the former can be overloaded throughout the course of the match. Also the "Astrolotl" argument makes no sense, using your spread and assuming its max speed, that attack and the rest in HP, Gengar can just spam Sludge Bomb until it gets a Poison and Astro can't consistently switch in anymore.

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Astrolotl: 211-250 (55.5 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (211, 214, 217, 219, 222, 225, 226, 229, 232, 234, 237, 240, 241, 244, 247, 250)

Not even the SpD set can outlast it

252 SpA Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 72 HP / 252 SpD Astrolotl: 153-181 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO after poison damage
Possible damage amounts: (153, 156, 157, 159, 160, 162, 165, 166, 168, 169, 171, 174, 175, 177, 178, 181)

Again I think you miss the point of most of these mons. They aren't walls that switch in on a bunch of shit, and quite frankly your advocacy for Blissey should be rising these Pokémon up, because all they do is take advantage of it, (especially Gengar).

Jumping on to give my opinions on recent suggestions
:Slowking: = A+
Slowking is indeed a powerful pokemon and something which has impacted the meta in many serious ways. It is an excellent check to many of the top pokemon in the CAP meta whilst retaining momentum, making it an excellent glue. However it does not have the centralising impact that Pokemon like :Astrolotl: or :Equilibra: do. When building a team, you rarely have to think of a Slowking counter or check, as although it is easy to slap on a team, it is also easy to passively counter a Slowking with a strong/bulky grass/electric type. If debate around :Tomohawk: being pushed down due to powerful electric types being one of the reasons, we cannot deny that those same electric types keep Slowking in a comfortable A+ tier. It is important to remember that the justification for S tier is
S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who shape and define the CAP metagame and are a clear-cut above the rest. These Pokemon are typically very powerful offensive threats that are difficult to prepare for or are phenomenal support and defensive threats that provide significant utility or defensive potential, respectively. Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.
Although Slowking is a powerful Pokemon in the meta, it does not define it, and that is something important to take into account.

:Tomohawk: - A+
In that same vein, Tomohawk is not as centralising as it once was. Whilst I, personally, see this as a good thing for the pokemon, as its much more team-focused now; I am finding particular fun with prankster Tomo, it does not hold the same prevailance over the metagame it once did. If it did, Pokemon like :urshifu: and :rillaboom: would not be as powerful in this metagame as they are, but because of the recent power of electric types, and that of :kerfluffle:, Tomohawk has found new difficulty in fighting against all sorts of teams. It is still an incredibly powerful and useful mon, but it is no longer meta-defining, and it does not wall significant portions of the meta like it once did. Its time to bring it down.

As for :krilowatt: and :kerfluffle:, I have nothing more to add, which hasn't already been spoken about. I agree Krill should be A- and Kerf to be A :)

Jumping on to give my opinions on recent suggestions
:Slowking: = A+
Slowking is indeed a powerful pokemon and something which has impacted the meta in many serious ways. It is an excellent check to many of the top pokemon in the CAP meta whilst retaining momentum, making it an excellent glue. However it does not have the centralising impact that Pokemon like :Astrolotl: or :Equilibra: do. When building a team, you rarely have to think of a Slowking counter or check, as although it is easy to slap on a team, it is also easy to passively counter a Slowking with a strong/bulky grass/electric type. If debate around :Tomohawk: being pushed down due to powerful electric types being one of the reasons, we cannot deny that those same electric types keep Slowking in a comfortable A+ tier. It is important to remember that the justification for S tier is

Although Slowking is a powerful Pokemon in the meta, it does not define it, and that is something important to take into account.

:Tomohawk: - A+
In that same vein, Tomohawk is not as centralising as it once was. Whilst I, personally, see this as a good thing for the pokemon, as its much more team-focused now; I am finding particular fun with prankster Tomo, it does not hold the same prevailance over the metagame it once did. If it did, Pokemon like :urshifu: and :rillaboom: would not be as powerful in this metagame as they are, but because of the recent power of electric types, and that of :kerfluffle:, Tomohawk has found new difficulty in fighting against all sorts of teams. It is still an incredibly powerful and useful mon, but it is no longer meta-defining, and it does not wall significant portions of the meta like it once did. Its time to bring it down.

As for :krilowatt: and :kerfluffle:, I have nothing more to add, which hasn't already been spoken about. I agree Krill should be A- and Kerf to be A :)
Hello! I'd recommend you try the currently more popular tomo set, intimidate. Suddenly, a bunch of its checks and counters just got a whole lot less threatening. Zeraora? Not if its anywhere close to full hp. What about all of those ice types sometimes ran as cleaners, wallbreakers and revenge killers, like Weavile and Syclant? Yeah, not likely to grab a KO. Its also generally a solid blanket check to any physical mon. Physical Dragapult without clear body don't like tomo. Urshifu don't like Tomo (I'm 90% sure that's gramatically accurate). Ever noticed most pokemon high on the VR are special attackers and special walls? Do you know why? Its because of Tomo.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hello! I'd recommend you try the currently more popular tomo set, intimidate. Suddenly, a bunch of its checks and counters just got a whole lot less threatening. Zeraora? Not if its anywhere close to full hp. What about all of those ice types sometimes ran as cleaners, wallbreakers and revenge killers, like Weavile and Syclant? Yeah, not likely to grab a KO. Its also generally a solid blanket check to any physical mon. Physical Dragapult without clear body don't like tomo. Urshifu don't like Tomo (I'm 90% sure that's gramatically accurate). Ever noticed most pokemon high on the VR are special attackers and special walls? Do you know why? Its because of Tomo.
The tone of your post is honestly pretty condescending to Pitmore. Please be more courteous in the future.

Aside from that, it's my opinion that most of the Pokemon you've brought up show that metagame is starting to adapt to Tomohawk's influence.

It's true that Intimidate can weaken a Zeraora, but Tomohawk just isn't getting damage onto Zeraora except through Rocky Helmet, and Zeraora should always carry Knock Off. If Tomohawk switches into Zeraora's Plasma Fists with any small amount of chip damage, it's in range of a KO. If Tomohawk isn't in KO range from Plasma Fists, it takes a huge chunk out from Volt Switch or is forced out. So Tomohawk just isn't a great Zeraora stop.

-1 252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Tomohawk: 188-224 (45.4 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0- SpA Zeraora Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 168-198 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Furthermore, while Syclant and Weavile may not OHKO us, Tomohawk just isn't a good stop to them. Syclant's Icicle Crash 2HKOs and just ignores Rocky Helmet, and Weavile can Knock Off Rocky Helmet so that Triple Axel OHKOs Tomohawk. And yes, Intimidate + smart switching is an effective means to make these attackers less potent, but it's not like Intimidate makes Tomohawk immune to these strong attackers.

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Syclant Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Tomohawk: 246-290 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Tomohawk: 360-432 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Finally, any Dragapult that's running exclusively physical moves - read: Choice Band Dragapult - will be running Clear Body just for Tomohawk's Intimidate. Its other sets like Wisp + Hex and Choice Specs can run Infiltrator because the primary damage output is from special attacks.

252 Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Tomohawk: 222-264 (53.6 - 63.7%) -- approx. 2HKO

Tomohawk does exert a lot of pressure on the metagame, and it's an important piece because it's a hard counter to Urshifu, and it's the best blanket check to physical mons in the metagame. But, as Pitmore said in his post, the rise of electric types like Krilowatt (starting to agree with G-Luke here), Plasmanta, and Zeraora, these other physical attackers that can break down Tomohawk, and all those special attackers you mentioned on the top of the VR are reasons to show that the metagame could be adapting to Tomohawk and that a drop to A+ could be warranted. I think people need to explore options like Aegislash, Weavile, and Fairy-types a little more, but I can see future conditions allowing fo this drop to actually happen.

I have another spooky suggestion: :shedinja: to C.

Shedinja is actually pretty decent right now in the age of delayed attackers and pivots, boasting total immunity to :equilibra:, :slowking:, and their delayed attacks (as well as pain split). That means paired with Protect, it can always eat a two-pronged attack from anything not called Urshifu. Ive found this the most all-encompassing way to neutralize the impact of these two mons. On top of this, it has the incredibly unique and useful niche of stopping every :syclant: and :krilowatt: which can be super helpful- only mon in the meta that steals their momentum. Its excellent at luring and toxicing :mandibuzz: and :tomohawk: allowing something like Urshifu to blast through them later on. Some other nuisance wildcard wallbreakers/sweepers that it hard-stops in the current meta are: :naviathan: :aurumoth: :plasmanta: :kyurem: :primarina: and :kerfluffle: . We were actually memeing about how Wonder Guard would solve some pivoting problems in this current CAP but in practice it actually works too, and its not bad when it comes to reliability.

This is the set:

:sm/shedinja:
Shedinja @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Protect
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp / weird filler

Use protect to eat two-pronged attacks from delayed move users, scout banded mons like Pajantom, and increase your chip damage from Toxic or Wisp. Poltergeist is your only attack, it dodges Helmets and hits harder than adamant Pajantom's Spirit Shackle. The last slot is pretty throwaway, you can run shadow sneak/sucker to pick off ghosts (sucker hits harder and cant be baited into helmet, but unreliable ofc), but threat of dual status is imo stronger since the priority is so weak. Endure lets you eat Urshifu's attacks + delayed move. Ive enjoyed running this mon with Libra bait like :weezing-galar:(since it stomps over Bliss), its really fun and tbh the offensive mons it walls is very impressive. Its weakness is its matchup into Blissey and Hippo, but other stuff like Mandi is nice to bait in.

Here are my replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1185373010-br4b2obow640dsq5op651a62ycgye0fpw
turns libra into a big momentum sink
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1194363332-3flg650k9g02uv419gxloa07sovxuo5pw
another example of handling libra and allowing weezing to put in work

I know some other ppl like reach are on the sheddy sauce too, I think it could be ranked because tldr it reverses the matchup vs common pivots and delayed move breaking attempts

regarding the other noms,
:tomohawk: to A+: kinda agree
people are experimenting with other things to handle urshifu and its hard to miss the rise in toxapex and mandi as answers that also help with the ghost spam- another annoying issue for tomohawk which makes it a less reliable hazard remover. despite now being able to hit equi with a fighting move, it now has to deal with more aegislash and a lot more special attackers in general. i could see it dropping.. since A+ is still a very strong rank.
:slowking: to S: kinda disagree
3 weeks ago i thought this should happen. but ive been seeing a lot more annoying ghosts like specs draga, gengar and aegislash already thanks to equis nerf, and there are also more mons that handle the scales so its lost a little bit of its niche there too. to me it was S rank before, and now it deserves to be A+ so i think its in a good place where it is
:kerfluffle: and :krilowatt: rising: yup
very little to say here that hasnt been said already, kril has been good for a while (i think its found more chances to fit on teams since scarfers feel less necessary and sr setter isnt a necessity) and kerf has been showing good consistency too (lets see what happens regarding aegislash but for now its worth rising)

Last edited:
Nominating :aurumoth: fatmoth over here for B- or maybe B

This thing is great on the physically defensive side, using its ability weak armor to suddenly become faster than every non scarfer when switching into moves such as earthquake or close combat and take advantage of opposing rapid spin. This bulk also allows it to run weakness policy to take advantage of even super effective physical hits and boost its attacks in the process. It can survive hits such as:
252 Atk Astrolotl Fire Lash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurumoth: 234-276 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurumoth: 192-228 (53.1 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurumoth: 306-360 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurumoth: 152-182 (42.1 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Crucibelle Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurumoth: 284-336 (78.6 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurumoth: 232-274 (64.2 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Threaten with a possible Tomohawk switch)
Its also not super specially frail either, being able to at least live most unboosted neutral special moves. While it does still have some problems, notably Tomohawk and Urshifu, it can pose a legitimate sweeping threat to some teams.

Edit: forgot it dropped to C
Edit 2: Gathering replays

Last edited:
Alright, while we wait for the release of CAP 28 and the Crown Tundra, here's one last VR update:
Code:
Rises:
Mandibuzz A → A+
Kerfluffle A- → A
Pajantom A- → A
Ferrothorn B+ → A-
Krilowatt B+ → A-
Cyclohm B → B+
Tyranitar UR → B-
Shedinja UR → C

Drops:
Rotom-Heat A- → B+
Rotom-Wash A- → B+
Slowbro B+ → B
Azumarill B → B-
Bisharp B → B-
Chandelure B → B-
Colossoil B- → C
Fidgit B- → C
Jirachi B- → C
Snorlax B- → C
Stratagem B- → C
Gyarados C → UR
Mamoswine C → UR
Marowak-Alola C → UR
As usual, here's a brief explanation for some of the changes:

• :tomohawk: Remains S: While Tomohawk has slightly fallen off as the metagame adapted to its presence, it's still one of the best mons available and the VR council believes is a clear cut above anything on A+, so it remains in S Rank.
  • :kerfluffle:A- → A: Kerfluffle has proven to be one of the best offensive pivots right now thanks to its great typing, speed and access to Parting Shot, so it rises to A.
  • :pajantom: A- → A : Pajantom continues to see lots of usage and it has established itself as one of the most fearsome breakers in the metagame, so even after being recently raised from B+, we believe that A would be much more appropiate for it.
  • :cyclohm: B → B+: As people have recognized the power of Cawmodore more and more, Cyclohm is one of its most reliable checks available, capable of walling it even after Belly Drum. Apart from that, It also has a good matchup against many attackers like Zeraora, Rillaboom, and Hawlucha, something many teams appreciate.
  • :tyranitar: UR → B-: Although the CAP metagame isn't very kind to it, Tyranitar has still seen some decent usage thanks to its massive special bulk and movepool, so it manages to earn itself a place in B-.
  • :shedinja: UR → C : While Shedinja can be dead weight against certain teams, its good matchup against many common threats means that it's not a mon that should be underestimated and deserves a C-Rank.
  • :gyarados::mamoswine::marowak-alola: C → UR: None of these has seen much use lately and we believe they don't really have a place in the current metagame.
If you have any questions about the rest of the changes, feel free to talk to me or other members of the VR Council about them via Discord or PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)