Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition v.2 - Week 15: Diancie (Voting Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
approved by Yoda2798
art by Fusion Flare

Welcome to the brand new edition of SS DOU Teambuilding Competition! After the Crown Tundra DLC dropped, it was about time we brought this project back. Each week I will post a new Pokemon, core or set, and its up to you to make the best possibile team out of it! Every time you post a new team, you will have to provide an explanation of the building process, strength and weaknesses, and the importable of the team itself. The competition will consist in 5 days of the building phase, and after that 2 days of voting. The winner of each week will get their team featured in the Hall of Fame!

Some rules:

1) Don't copy somebody else's team. Pretty straightforward here, we want this competition to be as diverse as possible, and copying a team someone else posted will result in a DQ for that week's round. Taking inspiration is absolutely fine, but I don't wanna see copies of teams.

2) Don't vote for yourself. This is also pretty obvious. Let's move on.

3) Don't ask for votes, neither for you or your friends. Let's keep the competition fair and clean. If I see suspicious stuff during voting (like random accounts that never touch DOU) I might have to DQ you. I can't really prove any of this happening anyway, so please work with me.

4) Don't post too many memes. I will make sure each week we'll build around something unconventional and that is also viable in the SS DOU metagame, so I hope to see very good teams with unconventional stuff that makes sense. On another note, make sure that the teams actually work before posting them, something like a replay to show how the team works is appreciated.

5) Ties. If any ties happen, it's up to me as the host to split those ties and decide the winner of the week.

Here's an example on how you should post your team

describe building process, strength and weaknesses, etc.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch

Tapu Lele @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 88 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Pollen Puff
- Clear Smog

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 144 HP / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Protect

Heatran @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Protect

Necrozma @ Power Herb
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Expanding Force
- Meteor Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

or a pokepaste https://pokepast.es/7cde1bdf12c95a3f

HALL OF FAME

Week 1: (Shadow Tag) :gothitelle: :zygarde: :incineroar: :tapu-fini: :rillaboom: :zapdos-galar: by Actuarily
Week 2: (Buzzwole) :buzzwole: :tyranitar: :rillaboom: :kartana: :heatran: :urshifu: by emma
Week 3: (Tsareena) :regidrago: :kartana: :tsareena: :heatran: :zapdos: :urshifu: by zeefable
Week 4: (Moltres-Galar) :moltres-galar: :rillaboom: :sylveon: :zeraora: :kartana: :urshifu: by umbry
Week 5: (Kommo-o) :ribombee: :zygarde: :heatran: :kommo-o: :kartana: :rillaboom: by fespy
Week 6 : (Drifblim) :tapu-lele: :drifblim: :zygarde: :heatran: :kartana: :urshifu: by Grandmas Cookin
Week 7: (Sand) :garchomp: :togekiss: :kartana: :gigalith: :rillaboom: :dracozolt: by Paraplegic
Week 8: (Rain) :pelipper: :kingdra: :rillaboom: :tsareena: :urshifu: :registeel: by fespy
Week 9: (Spectrier) :Spectrier: :togekiss: :urshifu: :metagross: :rillaboom: :zygarde: by Actuarily
Week 10: (Naganadel) :naganadel: :tyranitar: :kyurem-black: :urshifu: :mew: :rillaboom: by Hrishioo7
Week 11: (Genesect) :rillaboom: :zeraora: :togekiss: :zygarde: :tapu-fini: :genesect: by Actuarily
Week 12: (Sticky Web) :slurpuff: :tapu-lele: :necrozma: :kartana: :kommo-o: :incineroar: by SMB
Week 13: (Sun) :ninetales: :venusaur: :tsareena: :urshifu: :heatran: :mew: by Nido-Rus

Last edited:

Toxigen

get numb to it
DPL Champion

This first week is gonna be a bit of a warm up, and since Shadow Tag is currently being suspected, its gonna be our week 1 subject! I chose Shadow Tag and not Gothitelle because you theoretically use its preevo Gothorita and get almost the same results. The ability has being given another chance, and with Gothitelle being its main abuser, with a great movepool at its disposal such as Fake Out, Hypnsosis and Taunt, it has already shown what it can do in just a few days of suspect ladder. Its now your turn to show us your builds!

The deadline for the building phase is Friday 5/28 at 11:59:PM EST.

Last edited:

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
:ss/gothitelle: :ss/blastoise: :ss/togekiss: :ss/tsareena: :ss/urshifu: :ss/dragapult:
:gothitelle:
I have been interested in Choice Scarf Trick Gothitelle for a long time, and was heartbroken when SMB shut down the idea not once, but twice. Unfortunately, you don’t have many targets to Trick since giving Kartana or Urshifu a Choice Scarf isn't as devastating as you'd like, so you're mostly limited to set-up Pokemon (Dragon Dance Zygarde), or support-oriented Pokemon (Mew, Tapu Fini).
:gothitelle: :blastoise:
I wanted to pair Gothitelle with a unique set-up sweeper. Myself and others have already had success with Dragon Dance Zygarde, but for purposes of the teambuilding competition, I wanted to branch out. I fought Shell Smash Blastoise on the suspect ladder and it's been pretty intriguing since everyone automatically assumes its a support set.
:gothitelle: :blastoise: :togekiss:
The biggest issue off the bat was Grass-types, specifically Rillaboom and Amoonguss. Safety Goggles Togekiss shuts both of these down, since you can easily redirect all their attacks forever. A form of redirection being necessary was mentioned by umbry, and since I already had Tsareena in mind, I didn't want to use Amoonguss or Indeedee, so I decided on Togekiss after SMB used it during his suspect run, and walked me through it on Discord.
:gothitelle: :blastoise: :togekiss: :tsareena:
I wanted to invalidate Rillaboom, since that seemed to be one of the three major obstacles Shell Smash Blastoise faces (along with Volcanion and Kyurem-Black). You also get to HJK Kyurem-Black and Kartana, U-turn is also nice for playing both with and against Gothitelle, and strong Power Whip takes down Blastoise and Tapu Fini.
:gothitelle: :blastoise: :togekiss: :tsareena: :heatran:
I added Heatran without much thinking; I think Fire-types are pretty mandatory and I originally did not want to stack Water-types by using Volcanion. I also needed more offensive pressure so I strayed away from Incineroar.
:gothitelle: :blastoise: :togekiss: :tsareena: :heatran: :dragapult:
I needed immediate speed, and well as a solid check to Kyurem-Black and Volcanion so Dragapult was an easy last. It also does really well against the very common Gothitelle / Zygarde / Urshifu / Rillaboom / Fire-type / Fast Pokemon structures.
:gothitelle: :blastoise: :togekiss: :tsareena: :urshifu: :dragapult:
Kyurem-Black and Volcanion were massive threats, so I switched out Heatran for Urshfiu. I know I'm stacking Pokemon that love getting sniped down by Grassy Glide, but I felt fine with Togekiss, Tsareena, Dragapult, and Shadow Tag support. OHKOing the two most common Trick Room setters is also helpful.

:choice-scarf:
Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 44 SpD / 176 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Hypnosis
- Trick
- Protect

I originally saw Trick + Choice Scarf used by Kiichikos during Smogon Snake Draft IV Week 9 against Nails. In theory, you psuedo-KO something with Trick, and then further get to act as broken ass Gothitelle usually does. The EVs let you survive both Choice Specs Shadow Ball from Dragapult and a critical hit Leaf Blade from Kartana in Grassy Terrain. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Speed to maximize the targets you are able to click Hypnosis on.

:mystic-water:
Blastoise @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

I originally had Ice Beam over Hydro Pump to hit Grass-types and Zygarde, but I think the latter is better overall so you can still click your STAB move while on low HP. +2 Boost + Modest + Mystic Water + full health Water Spout or Torrent boosted Hydro Pump hit incredible hard into everything but Volcanion, Assault Vest Kyurem-Black, and Assault Vest Rillaboom. You might be able to get away with running both moves, and dropping Protect, but that seems a bit too risky for me. Instead, you can focus on trapping these threats and winning later.

:safety-goggles:
Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Yawn
- Tailwind

Togekiss invalidates Rillaboom and Amoonguss, and provides mandatory redirection support for Shell Smash Blastoise. Yawn, in combination with Shadow Tag, is amazing offensive pressence since Sleep is a fundamentally broken mechanic in Pokemon. SMB explained it really well here, so I'll leave it to him. The EVs allow you to outspeed Modest Necrozma and Heatran so you can set Tailwind or flinch them down before they move.

:assault-vest:
Tsareena (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Triple Axel
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Tsareena provides additional ownage of Rillaboom, which was the #1 threat in my eyes. Power Whip / Triple Axel / High Jump Kick are nice for mowing down all of Blastoise, Tapu Fini, Zygarde, Rillaboom, Heatran, and Kartana. This set outspeeds Heatran and lets you HJK for a near KO.

:choice-band:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Urshifu is very important for pinning down Kyurem-Black with Gothitelle support. It also switchs into Volcanion nicely, and does a nice chunk back with Adamant Choice Band Close Combat. I think almost all of Kyurem-Black and Zygarde are Max Speed Adamant, so I don't know if Jolly is needed anymore and I wanted to click buttons and win easier.

:choice-specs:
Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Choice Specs Dragapult is super, super good right now and provides additional support into the likes of Rillaboom, Volcanion, and Kyurem-Black. Pivoting with U-turn is so good, especially in Gothitelle metagame.

Here are some fun replays of Shell Smash Blastoise actually winning games, and Trick Scarf Gothitelle doing exactly that it needs to do:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1346617783
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1346654077

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 44 SpD / 176 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Hypnosis
- Trick
- Protect

Blastoise @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Follow Me
- Yawn
- Tailwind

Tsareena (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Triple Axel
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Quick thank you for Toxigen for hosting, and everyone who was involved with reviving it! I'm really glad Doubles finally had a project up and running again, and hopefully it can provide solid forum activity as well as a fun way for people to get creative in teambuilding.

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
:leftovers:
:choice band:
:assault vest:
:choice band:
Trap and hypnotize stuff with goth and click big power attacks with Urshifu, Zygarde, Rillaboom and Zeraora. Use Registeel as a mid- to late-game wincon by setting up Iron Defense at the right time.

:gothitelle:
This mon is broken so I wanted to use it.

:gothitelle::urshifu:
Fake out + trapping + bypassing protect + critting stuff is broken.

:gothitelle::urshifu::zygarde:
Zygarde slaps. Get it in at the right time and you can just trap and sleep stuff with Goth while you spam Dragon Dance and Substitute.

:gothitelle::urshifu::zygarde::rillaboom:
Obligatory Urshifu check, Zygarde resist and general goodstuff mon. Max speed because fuck getting slept or faked out by Goth first.

:gothitelle::urshifu::zygarde::rillaboom::registeel:
Don't let Heatran or Volcanion live in the early game and this will pick up Ws in the endgame. If you get to +2 Def before Heatran comes in, your Body Press will kill the Heatran after you survive it's Eruption...unless it's specs heatran. IMPORTANT: This clicks "x" versus monofire.

:gothitelle::urshifu::zygarde::rillaboom::registeel::zeraora:
Just here as an obligatory fast attacker that can drop everything Registeel doesn't like to square up against. Play Rough is a neat surprise tech for Kommo-o and Zygarde that also still hits Dragapult like Knock Off is supposed to...but it is 90% acc so use this at your own discretion.

:gothitelle::leftovers:
⠠⠝⠁⠏ ⠞⠊⠍⠑ (Gothitelle) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Hypnosis
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

252/252/4 slider magic. Leftovers to milk Protect turns more in Grassy Terrain.

:urshifu::choice band:
⠠⠇⠞. ⠠⠎⠥⠗⠛⠑ (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

252/252/4 slider magic.

:zygarde::leftovers:
⠠⠓⠥⠛⠑ ⠟⠥⠊⠧⠑⠗ (Zygarde) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 92 HP / 164 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect

Jolly Choice Band Urshifu will never break your sub on its first hit. Run 252/252/4 slider magic if you don't care about that.

:rillaboom::assault vest:
⠠⠗⠊⠝⠛⠕ ⠠⠎⠞⠁⠗⠗ (Rillaboom) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

252/252/4 slider magic. Fastest Fake Out best FakeOut.

:registeel::leftovers:
⠠⠗⠠⠑⠠⠛⠠⠊ ⠠⠗⠠⠑⠠⠛⠠⠊ (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Toxic
- Protect

252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Registeel: 161-192 (44.2 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. Amnesia is an option over Toxic but I prefer Toxic.

:zeraora::choice band:
⠠⠛⠕⠗⠕⠉⠓⠥ (Zeraora) @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Plasma Fists
- Play Rough
- Blaze Kick

252/252/4 slider magic.
⠠⠝⠁⠏ ⠞⠊⠍⠑ (Gothitelle) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Hypnosis
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

⠠⠇⠞. ⠠⠎⠥⠗⠛⠑ (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

⠠⠓⠥⠛⠑ ⠟⠥⠊⠧⠑⠗ (Zygarde) @ Leftovers
EVs: 92 HP / 164 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Protect

⠠⠗⠊⠝⠛⠕ ⠠⠎⠞⠁⠗⠗ (Rillaboom) @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

⠠⠗⠠⠑⠠⠛⠠⠊ ⠠⠗⠠⠑⠠⠛⠠⠊ (Registeel) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Toxic
- Protect

⠠⠛⠕⠗⠕⠉⠓⠥ (Zeraora) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Plasma Fists
- Play Rough
- Blaze Kick

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
1621911821573.png
1621911997070.png
1621911988175.png
1621912004748.png
1621911827022.png
1621911978124.png

Goth's most popular builds are with set up sweepers atm, but i'm much more comfortable with ho oriented playstyles so i decided to build something more in that direction.
1621911881314.png
1621911868253.png

Kingra is absolutely bonkers in every gen it's in, but the omniprescence of av rilla makes it really hard for kingdra to shine in ss. Paired with goth, it's able to pin down opponents much easier and the addition of hurricane to its moveset allows it to even pick off weakened grasses.

1621911881314.png
1621911868253.png
1621911858507.png

I prefer politoed over pelliper on most of my rain builds because its eject button set allows it to set up rain and get out of the way, in favor of the more powerful team members. It also gives the team a second spore user, outside of goth, which really helps you to win the mental game.
1621911881314.png
1621911868253.png
1621911858507.png
1621911932146.png

Rain needs a way to deal with both bulky waters and grasses who resist kingdra's muddy waters, and offensive zap is able to do both to a decent extent.
1621911881314.png
1621911868253.png
1621911858507.png
1621911932146.png
1621911846938.png

With two hypno users the team needed a way to clear opposing terrain. Rilla also gives the team access to a second fake out user which is really important on ho because it gives you a chance to safely reposition, since all of the members of the team are very frail. By acting as a secondary water check, it allows zap to run volt switch> thunder for increased pivoting abilities.
1621911881314.png
1621911868253.png
1621911858507.png
1621911932146.png
1621911846938.png
1621911841094.png

Genesect rounds out the team as our immediate speed option when we cant get rain up. It's diverse coverage also really pairs well with Goth's trapping.

The team is really able to let goth shine with it's four pivot options and I feel like does a good job of showing of just how stupid stag can be.
It's really easy to just lead goth+gene and fake out+ kill a mon with goth, or just uturn out to politoed to proc ebutton and start going ham with kingdra.

The sets are all pretty standard and for evs you want fast breakers/fake out and wanna hit hard, nothing crazy here.
Home (Gothitelle) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Hypnosis
- Taunt
- Protect

Feels (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Draco Meteor

Like (Politoed) @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Helping Hand
- Hypnosis
- Protect

A (Zapdos) @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Weather Ball
- Hurricane
- Protect

Distant (Rillaboom) @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Stomping Tantrum
- U-turn

Memory (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
happy to see the projects back up, it's easily my favorite one dou has run and i'm looking forward to participating in more rounds

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
:ss/gothitelle: :ss/kommo-o: :ss/kartana::ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: :ss/tyranitar::ss/kyurem-black:

Thought I might throw my hat into the ring.

:gothitelle::kommo-o:
The first thing I was thinking for Gothitelle was psych up besides a strong special sweeper. Goth's ability to allow sweepers like that to set up could allow for multiple boosts, which would increase both it's teammate and it's own power. I wanted a sweeper that also boosted speed to help out goth's low 65 base speed. which left me with Volcarona or Kommo-o. I chose the latter for a few reasons. For starters, it's good bulk allowed it to setup easier than Volcarona and it's middiling defense stat. Secondly, while holding a Throat Spray, Kommo-o could give Gothitelle a total of 6 different stat boosts in one turn, which decreased the damage they would take before commencing their assault. Finally, Clangourus Soul gives defensive boosts, which helps Goth weather a potiental hit better.

:gothitelle::kommo-o::kartana:
The first thing I wanted to take care of were Fairy and Steel types, paticulary Tapu Fini and it's Misty Terrain. My plan was to use gothitelle to trap the fairies and take them out. I chose Kartana becuase Tailwind could help the rest of its team along with it's crit happy Leaf Blades made it offensively threatening.

:gothitelle::kommo-o::kartana::urshifu:
Next I added Urshifu, as the Kartana+Urshifu core is really solid to begin with, and both of them handled steels for Kommo-o and Gothitelle, and could also pivot out with U-turn into goth or bring Kommo-o in with goth. Also urshifu trapping is broken.

:gothitelle::kommo-o::kartana::urshifu::tyranitar:
I added Tyranitar to improve both my Psyspam and Dragapult matchup. That's the only reason I added it lol.

:gothitelle::kommo-o::kartana::urshifu::tyranitar::kyurem-black:
Kyurem-Black acts as a offensive check to Amoonguss and Volcanion, an alternate Heatran check, and provides speed control with Icy Wind.

:gothitelle: :odd-incense:
evil (Gothitelle) @ Odd Incense
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Stored Power
- Psych Up
- Protect

Fake Out+Protect allows Goth to still preform it's trapping abilities while Psych Up+Stored Power provides the offensive pressure. Odd Incense+252 SpA EVs allow Goth to hit as hard as possible, the speed EVs are intended to outspeed base 90's at +1, and the rest of the EVs wee dumped into HP.

:kommo-o: :throat-spray:
*rimshot* (Kommo-o) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Protect

This is the Omnibooster sample, next.

:kartana: :scope-lens:
Origami Sword (Kartana) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Literally the sample but with a good item, next.

:urshifu: :choice-band:
Sugar Ray (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Literally the Choice Band sample but with Ice Punch because I want to actually hit Dragapult with something, next.

:tyranitar: :assault-vest:
Rocky Marciano (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail

Now hear me out on this one. So when I made this team, I thought, "wow Lele is annoying huh" and I really needed a check to it. While I could've put Heatran over Kyurem, I made ttar able to handle it for no reason other than I could. Assault Vest allows it to take a good amount of hits from lele (it's 3HKO'd by Pixie Plate Moonblast) and OHKO back with Heavy Slam. The 4 speed IV's allow it to outspeed Lele in Tailwind. The attack is from the sample, and I dumped the rest of my EV's into SpD and HP. A pretty unconvintional ttar set, but it puts in work.

:kyurem-black: :assault-vest:
Demon of Hatred (Kyurem-Black) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 112 SpA / 88 SpD / 60 Spe
Serious Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

You've seen this set a thousand times, next.

Replay of the strategy going as planned:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1346788887

evil (Gothitelle) @ Odd Incense
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Stored Power
- Psych Up
- Protect

*rimshot* (Kommo-o) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Overcoat
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Origami Sword (Kartana) @ Scope Lens
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Sugar Ray (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Rocky Marciano (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail

Demon of Hatred (Kyurem-Black) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 HP / 112 SpA / 88 SpD / 60 Spe
Serious Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind

Last edited:
:SS/Gothitelle: :SS/Zygarde: :SS/Incineroar:
:SS/Tapu Fini: :SS/Rillaboom: :SS/Zapdos-Galar:

Bringing back a classic - Skill Swap Goth! Rule #4 is the only reason I’m not running Durant.

The idea behind the team is you try to set up a situation where you can skill swap shadow tag onto either Fini/Zygarde/Incineroar and trap in Pokémon that aren’t capable of damaging that core, and from there you begin the set-up sweep! Incineroar is a great partner, as skill swapping intimidate reactivates it, and Incin’s combo of intimidate, snarl, and parting shot let’s it lower opponents stats to neuter them while they’re trapped.

Zygarde and Fini are the perfect set up mons with their great bulk and the fact that they don’t really need their abilities. Rillaboom is added for further FO/pivot support, as well as grassy terrain causing fini and zygarde restore health rapidly. Lastly Zapdos-G is used because it beats both of the main crit mons in Urshifu-rs and Kartana, as well as its ability to pivot and beat the other common pivot mons in Incineroar, Rillaboom, Genesect, and Landorus-t.

Gothitelle is EV’d to live a choice specs Dragapult shadow ball, the rest is put into physical bulk.

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Skill Swap
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 160 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Rillaboom @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 36 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Taunt

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Blaze Kick
- U-turn

https://pokepast.es/c8668b7510a9668a

Last edited:

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
Epic semiroom gaming team

I did not want to build a gothitelle team this week because i do not like gothitelle. That is why I have instead built a team with eject button Wobbuffet. Because of wobbuffets advantage in bulk over gothitelle, it was more viable to use it as a pivot option to soak up damage and come back in during trick room to be annoying with encore, charm, mirror coat, destiny bond, etc, and foes cannot switch out of having stats lowered/being encored. It can struggle with being too passive.
I felt that sylveon was an underappreciated pick for a trick room team - fairy coverage threatens most of the strong pokemon in the meta and mystical fire takes care of kartana, one of its only relevant resists. Quick attack procs weakness policy and weak armor on mandibuzz and in most scenarios allows it to grab some kills.
I love volcanion trick room structures - sub volcanion is super powerful, and porygon is one of the most consistent trick room setters along with providing nice boltbeam coverage.
Rillaboom helps get trick room setup, and provides nice grass coverage as a much needed physical attacker; grassy terrain synergizes very well with rillaboom.
This was a very fun team to play. I think it fits right in with typical ladder teams.

:wobbuffet: :rillaboom: :sylveon: :volcanion: :porygon: :mandibuzz: <- Click for paste

https://pokepast.es/eda52533c1f7bab6

Collab with Hys and Jomatoes
DD Kyurem was the first thought in our process, as we wanted some cool setup that could let Goth trap it in a favorable situation for it to boost. Volcanion was the next choice in order to handle Steel types and Incineroar, which poses major problems for the main core. Genesect was added to provide a Kartana check and pivoting among these Goth teams, and Landorus had the ability to soften up physical attackers and pivotwhile giving us a way to remove terrain without having to use terrain battles. Finally Amoonguss with Shed Shell gives us a TR check other than our Goth with Trick Room, while being able to check out of a Shadow Tag for more freedom in positioning.

Toxigen

get numb to it
DPL Champion
Thanks to everyone for participating this week, now it's time to vote!

You only got 2 days to vote, simply vote what you think is the best team between the ones submitted. You can only vote for one team.

Team 1: :ss/gothitelle: :ss/blastoise: :ss/togekiss: :ss/tsareena: :ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: :ss/dragapult: by emma

Team 2: :ss/gothitelle: :ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: :ss/zygarde: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/registeel: :ss/zeraora: by GenOne

Team 3: :ss/gothitelle: :ss/kingdra: :ss/politoed: :ss/zapdos: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/genesect: by laptops

Team 4: :ss/gothitelle: :ss/kommo-o: :ss/kartana: :ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: :ss/tyranitar: :ss/kyurem-black: by dnagerbadger

Team 5: :ss/gothitelle: :ss/zygarde: :ss/incineroar: :ss/tapu-fini: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/zapdos-galar: by The_Bandit

Team 6: :ss/wobbuffet: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/sylveon: :ss/volcanion: :ss/porygon2: :ss/mandibuzz: by Crunchman

Team 7: :ss/gothitelle: :ss/kyurem-black: :ss/volcanion: :ss/genesect: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/amoonguss: by RKD

Voting ends on 05/30 at 11:59 PM. EST

May the best teambuilder win! (sorry for double posting i made a mess earlier)

Toxigen

get numb to it
DPL Champion
And with 4 votes, The_Bandit wins the first week of the SS DOU teambuilding competition! Congratulations, and now its time for this week's Pokemon.

Buzzwole! While this pokemon is actually unranked, it's one that I think deserves a shot. The idea for this week's Pokémon came from this SMB post and I thought it would be cool to see what teams you guys can come up with! With its very much respectable physical bulk and great Attack stat, Buzzwole is good at checking Grass-Types such as Rillaboom and Kartana, walls Zygarde and is naturally faster than Heatran, all of which are currently very popular in the SS DOU metagame. Lastly, it doesn't have the best SpDef and it greatly appreciates Speed support. Let's see who can make the best Buzzwole team!

The deadline for posting your teams is 6/4 at 11:59 EST.

Coaching Zeraora + 3 Ultra Beasts Offensive

The team's main goal is to boost Buzzwole or Zygarde and "sweep" through the other team. Other than supportive Zeraora, the team focuses on doing immediate damage and exerting as much pressure as possible rather than setting up.

Zeraora @ King's Rock
EVs: 152 HP / 204 Def / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Fling
- Coaching

Spread allows Zeraora to live +1 Zygarde Thousand Arrows/Waves and outspeed max base 130s. Can use coaching to stack boosts on Buzzwole, or can be used with banded Zygarde to boost Arrows/Waves. Fling allows for conveniently positioning Buzzwole against faster things that can OHKO or chip it, and can be used to help set up Tapu Fini Calm Mind.

Naganadel @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Protect

Naganadel adds speed control to the team and allows Buzzwole to outspeed most of the tier under tailwind. It's a fast setter and can deal with things that threaten Buzzwole like Tapu Fini/Lele.

Zygarde @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Aside from being a really good mon, Zygarde threatens fire (Heatran, Volcanion) and flying types (Zapdos, Celesteela) that threaten Buzzwole. Went with band for immediate pressure; could alternatively go with sub lefties next to coaching Zeraora.

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Went with Tapu Fini to prevent statuses from Amoonguss/in general; can switch terrain away from psyspam. Spread lives an unboosted Rillaboom grassy glide in terrain or Kartana leaf blade.

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

I went with assault vest and max spdef investment to patch Buzzwole's poor base spdef stat. Max speed allows Buzzwole to outspeed max speed Heatran and most Finis and Rillabooms. Not having any attack investment sucks, but with coaching boosts, the other investments are more vital. I went with drain punch over superpower/close combat because I want Buzzwole to last on the field for a long time and avoid dropping stats.

Stakataka @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Trick Room
- Protect

Stakataka adds a trick room mode to the team, and can deal a lot of damage to fairy/psychic/fire types that could threaten Buzzwole. Spread allows beast boost to boost attack stat instead of defense.

:SS/Buzzwole: :SS/Zygarde: :SS/Mew:
:SS/Rillaboom: :SS/Volcanion: :SS/Diancie:

So this is a team I built during DLT but never got around to testing it enough to bring it. I had the idea of using Buzzwole to compliment either Zygarde or Diancie, and I decided why not both! I also remembered I had previously tried to build around coaching + pollen puff Mew with Zygarde or Diancie, so I figured I could use it here. Volt switch let’s Mew get out of the way after setting tailwind when it doesn’t want to use coaching, and since the team is a little weak to Urshifu/Fini it can chip those.

AV works amazingly with Buzzwole since it has tremendous physical bulk, and once you combined the assault vest with investment and STABs that heal it (drain punch & leech life) it becomes really difficult to take down. Buzzwole’s EVs are designed for maximum balance of special bulk.

The rest of the team is pretty standard, not running min speed Diancie as in TW it’s nice to outspeed stuff like Modest Heatran. The dual speed control works really well on this team as it has a lot of Pokémon that can function in both TR and TW.

https://pokepast.es/d81b3b2663af65a2

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Thousand Waves
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Pollen Puff
- Coaching
- Tailwind

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 36 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Volcanion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

Diancie @ Hard Stone
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Body Press
- Trick Room
- Protect

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
:ss/buzzwole: :ss/tyranitar: :ss/rillaboom: :ss/kartana: :ss/heatran: :ss/urshifu:
:buzzwole:
Naturally, Buzzwole was first brought to my attention by SMB. Here's my live reaction of learning of its power:
[5:37 PM] emma: 252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 57-67 (16 - 18.8%) -- possible 6HKO
[5:37 PM] emma: holy shit
[5:38 PM] emma: 4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole in Grassy Terrain on a critical hit: 120-141 (33.8 - 39.7%) -- 26.4% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
[5:38 PM] emma: 252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 56 Def Buzzwole on a critical hit: 174-210 (41.6 - 50.2%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO
[5:39 PM] emma: okay
[5:39 PM] emma: this is
[5:39 PM] emma: a threat
[5:39 PM] emma: buzzwhole ttar
[5:39 PM] emma: the boys
[5:40 PM] emma: you can outspeed and ohko tran too
[5:42 PM] emma: or we could run helmet...................
[5:45 PM] emma: why does this actually look so epic
[5:48 PM] emma: yeah buzzwhole looks like it destroys shifu/kart/zygarde
[5:48 PM] emma: looooool
I am of a firm belief that any Pokemon that matches up well into the Zygarde / Kartana / Urshifu structures (i.e. Buzzwhole, Latias, etc.) is legitimately viable right now and deserves to be ranked on the Viability Rankings. Of course, running the same offensive structures but with a random UR Pokemon thrown in is not real metagame development, but thats a story for another time.
:buzzwole: :tyranitar:
God Tyranitar. The first issue I thought of when running Buzzwole is Necrozma PsySpam, which Tyranitar is the perfect partner for. These two Pokemon actually cover almost everything viable right now: Buzzwole beats Zygarde, Urshifu, Rillaboom, and Kartana, while Tyranitar beats Necrozma, Heatran, Zapdos, and Dragapult. I truthfully believe this is a really solid core.
:buzzwole: :tyranitar: :rillaboom: :kartana:
Bulky Water-types, so Tapu Fini and Blastoise, took little damage from any of my first two members so I threw on the everpresent 'Grass Spam' core of Rillaboom + Kartana to invalidate them. The combination of Tyranitar, Rillaboom, and Kartana also really do well against Necrozma structures, so I felt comfortable in the matchup.
:buzzwole: :tyranitar: :rillaboom: :kartana: :heatran:
I was a bit weary of other Grass-types, and I believe Fires are mandatory on all competitive structures, so Heatran was an easy fit here.
:buzzwole: :tyranitar: :rillaboom: :kartana: :heatran: :urshifu:
I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the last slot, so I threw on the most restricting Pokemon in the metagame. The current fighting resists are mainly Tapu Fini and Amoonguss, which I'm not worried about at all, so I thought stacking strong Fighting-types could be epic.

:rocky-helmet:
Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch
- Protect
Code:
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 57-67 (13.6 - 16%) -- possible 7HKO
4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole in Grassy Terrain on a critical hit: 120-141 (28.7 - 33.7%) -- 98% chance to 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole on a critical hit: 207-246 (49.5 - 58.8%) -- approx. 78.1% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole on a critical hit: 192-225 (45.9 - 53.8%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
4 Atk Buzzwole Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Rocky Helmet is unironically a good item. Chipping Urshifu-R and Kartana is extremely helpful to wither it down to be revenge killed later. Urshifu-R in particular loses half its HP if it uses Surging Strikes on Buzzwole. Max Speed is important to get the jump on Heatran (which you OHKO) as well as even Necrozma.

:rindo-berry:
Tyranitar @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 208 Def / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave
Code:
4 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 232 HP / 208 Def Tyranitar: 336-396 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
4 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 232 HP / 208 Def Rindo Berry Tyranitar in Grassy Terrain on a critical hit: 246-289 (61.6 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0- SpA Tyranitar Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Kartana: 328-388 (126.6 - 149.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde: 232-276 (64.9 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Tyranitar is now a Kartana check. You live any hit from it from full (232 / 208 takes Sacrad Sword, Rindo Berry lets you live a critical hit Leaf Blade in Grassy Terrain) and OHKO back with Flamethrower. You also outspeed it if you have the Tailwind advantage. I chose to forgo Dark STAB to run Thunder Wave, which lets you psuedo-KO Necrozma anyway as well as forever cripping Urshifu-R.

The next four Pokemon will go quick, since everyone with the slightest pulse on the metagame knows what they do.
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 5.17.49 PM.png

:assault-vest:
Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 100 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Superpower

I feel a lot more comfortable running the standard Assault Vest set than Eject Button. Superpower is chosen as the fourth move so you don't get walled by Kartana.

:scope-lens:
Kartana @ Scope Lens
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kartana is broken 50% of the time, and still a Kartana the other half.

:safety-goggles:
Heatran (M) @ Safety Goggles
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Protect

The combination of Rillaboom, Kartana, and Safety Goggles Heatran completely invalidates Amoonguss as a Pokemon. Make sure all your Heatran are Male to not give away any information!

:choice-band:
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch

I enjoy Choice Band since chip from Sand + Life Orb really starts to pile up, and it lets you fit both U-turn and Ice Punch on the same set. All Kyurem-Black and Zygarde are Adamant, so I also chose to run Adamant so I could kill things faster. Absolutely nothing reliably switches into this Pokemon.

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leech Life
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 208 Def / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 100 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Kartana @ Scope Lens
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Tailwind
- Protect

Heatran (M) @ Safety Goggles
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)