Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition - Week 15: New Kids on the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Cinderace is probably the worst Pokemon on this team, but I'm happy with the outcome.

PokePaste: https://pokepast.es/e2cff4e1ddb032bc

Cinderace @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Pyro Ball
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

Zeraora @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Follow Me
- Body Press

Togekiss @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- High Horsepower
- Earthquake
Out of the three starters I could've picked, Rillaboom seemed too obvious of a choice and I wanted to be a bit more creative. That said, Intelleon completely blows and I don't think it will ever be viable. That left me with Cinderace, which on paper doesn't seem like the best Pokemon ever but at least has an interesting ability to work with.

Overall, I think I ended up with a pretty decent balance build that uses mostly high tier Pokemon while still giving Cinderace a viable niche that can't just be replaced by a different Fire-type.

Here's a breakdown of each Pokemon I picked to build out this team:

Cinderace
  • Starting point for the team.
  • Chose an Adamant nature because there isn't much that sits between 337 and 370 speed, other than Keldeo and Terrakion, so the extra damage output seemed more worthwhile.
  • Chose Pyro Ball and Double-Edge as my main "STAB" moves, since Fire / Normal coverage is able to hit most targets for at least neutral damage, bar Dragapult and Chandelure.
  • Sucker Punch is reasonably strong with Libero and it gives Cinderace a means of striking first vs Zeraora and Dragapult, hitting the latter super-effectively. Also a helpful move to have when faced against opposing speed control or weather sweepers.
  • On a different team, I think Low Kick or HJK are also great options to consider. I would probably go Timid if running those to hit Terrakion for super-effective damage.

Zeraora
  • Added this because it's one of the best Pokemon in this format.
  • Standard AV set.
  • Plasma Fists can turn Cinderace's Double-Edge into a STAB Electric move, which is a fun way to flex on bulky Water-types.

Kommo-o
  • Added this because it's also one of the best Pokemon in this format.
  • Standard Omniboost set.

Blastoise
  • I mainly added Blastoise for the redirection support, since Kommo-o appreciates that when trying to set up.
  • Blastoise also gives this team a much-needed damage sponge that doesn't mind pivoting into attacks.
  • The set is mostly standard, but I went with Body Press > Scald since I felt a bit weak to sand teams. I might regret this if I ever have to 1v1 a Choice Scarf Chandelure on the ladder, but I am willing to risk that.

Togekiss
  • At this point, I was feeling a bit weak to Kommo-o, and also felt like I was missing a good speed control option. Togekiss filled this niche nicely.
  • Mostly a standard Scope Lens set, but I went with Tailwind over Nasty Plot since I already have Kommo-o as a setup sweeper and felt that the speed control was more useful.

Excadrill
  • To round out this build, I went with Mold Breaker Excadrill as a means of dealing with Fairy-types like Togekiss and G-Weezy.
  • The set is just the standard Mold Breaker set.
  • I went with Earthquake as my third attack, since it synergizes well with Togekiss.

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Inteleon (M) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Focus Energy
- Protect

Roserade (F) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 88 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Tailwind
- Transform
- Stealth Rock

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Togekiss @ Scope Lens
EVs: 228 HP / 4 Def / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Protect
After HA starters were released, I built quite a few teams with every one of them and used them on ssnl or for laddering and so far inteleon is the one that has been performing better for me. It needs some support to make it work but in a meta as slow as this one it can work wonders.

I started building this team with the core of inteleon and roserade. Roserade is a mon I've been wanting to fit on a team after it was nommed to the vr and it hasn't disappointed me; it outspeeds rotom, venusaur, milotic and togekiss and has a higher spa than venusaur which makes it more threatening and really helps when trying to set up with inteleon. I opted for this set on inteleon because it works like if it had a nasty plot set that ignores boosts, snarl, etc... A timid nature is also fine if you have troubles dealing with terrakion but it hasn't been problematic for me so I run modest for the extra damage.
Incineroar and mew are important because one thing I usually do is cycling fake out when i've setted up with inteleon or togekiss. Intimidate, tailwind and sr are also really nice for the team, transform might be a bit greedy but i don't think I need pollen puff.
Zeraora fits perfectly because it checks fast mons like dragapult or terrakion and also beats water types and steel types which would be annoying for inteleon or togekiss. Lastly I added togekiss to have another win condition and a solid kommo-o check.

The main gameplan when playing this team is set rocks early and then find a good position to set up with either inteleon or togekiss, you have many ways to do that; you can either put foes to sleep, threaten kos with zeraora or just cycle fake out. What I like the most about this team is that if you play well (and don't miss muddy water) it's really easy that inteleon or togekiss don't take any damage, so they can't beat entire teams alone.

Last edited:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
:ss/inteleon: :ss/togekiss: :ss/incineroar: :ss/tyranitar: :ss/excadrill: :ss/rotom-mow:

Inteleon @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Snipe Shot
- Ice Beam
- Focus Energy
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 112 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Protect

Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- High Horsepower
- Substitute
- Protect

Rotom-Mow @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 80 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
Recently I was watching someone ladder with Inteleon but their team was kinda wack so I decided to try throwing together something more solid with it.

Starting with the Int set, I went with crit set since that's most the obvious way to use it and likely least bad. I went with Snipe Shot rather than Muddy Water since it's still quite useful without setting up. Togekiss was added as redirector support for it, and is the team's method of dealing with Kommo-o. At this point the two Pokemon so far are quite Zeraora weak, so I made sure the rest of the team was able to handle that. Incineroar was added for typical Incin reasons of Intimidate/Fake Out/pivoting. I went with sand as Excadrill could outspeed and KO Zeraora/weakened Dragapult, making it a great offensive partner for Intelleon. Chople Ttar is primarily for Zeraora, you live an LO CC from full and KO back, while testing the team on ladder it also came in handy for some other random stuff. Sub Exca is good, especially with FO/FM support. To round out the team, I went with a less common choice in Rotom-Mow, primarily for dealing with opposing Water-types, including rain, and being able to deal with any opposing Excadrill.

That's the team, spreads could admittedly be better but I'm lazy. It's done decent on ladder and in some test games I've played, and Inteleon has done okay.

:dracovish: :blastoise: :polteageist: :corviknight: :rillaboom: :mew:

Typing chart and matchup become irrelevant when you have a +2/+2 dracovish behind a sub.

https://pokepast.es/e1c2dd13aab96daa

Simple strat. Smashpass into Dracovish, get a sub up by killing or fake out cycling.
Dracovish outspeeds scarf g-darm at +2.
Sub, tect, follow me and fakeout should be enough to stall out one cycle of TR and two cycles of TW.
I chose Rillaboom over zeraora as the fakeout user purely because of gastrodon.
Jailmew can lockdown one mon while dracovish eliminates the other. Or transform into dracovish and have 2 +2/+2 dracovishes eliminating your entire opponent.
Corviknight helps with togekiss and sylveon which pose problems for this team.

sawamura

Banned deucer.
Hello My Mish Brothers I'll leave my shit here like this Enjoy

Simple, we revolve around Cinderace Shooting Toxic Spikes with Weezing as Lead who supports us with our Hitmontop and The Shadow of Gothitelle. We rotate to escape other Gothic teams and nullify the weather teams with neutralizing gas so that our Rotom can break. We take advantage of the dredge so that with its hex it can hit harder due to the toxic or toxic spikes of Hitmontop. Gastrodon can be a problem, but with the toxic it goes to hell Zeraora is another problem but with Hitmontop and Weezing we can Deal with the Know How to Spam With hitmontop while using Neutralize Gas

Cinderace @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Pyro Ball
- Gunk Shot

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SpA / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Taunt
- Psychic

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Toxic

Dragapult @ Spell Tag
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Draco Meteor
- Hex

Weezing-Galar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Haze
- Strange Steam
- Toxic Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)