Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition - Week 15: New Kids on the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
approved by talkingtree
OP adapted from laptops' adaptation from Memoric
originally hosted by Memoric
art by Datsplashtho

Welcome to the SS Doubles Teambuilding Competition! This is a weekly competition which you can join at any time. Basically, what we are going to do here is see who can build the better team, hence the name. Each week, I will post a core, set, theme, or Pokemon and then you guys will post an importable of a team featuring said concept. Along with the team, you will post a short summary that may include: your teambuilding process, how the team works, replays, etc.; it's gonna look like a mini-RMT of sorts. After a few days, I will close submissions and then anyone can come and vote on the team which they think is best. The winner of the week will get some sweet bragging rights while also having their team featured for everyone to see in the teams Hall of Fame!

Rules and Mechanics

Here's the process of how this competition will be hosted:
  1. Five (5) days of submission of teams and discussion. Post your entry on the thread, be sure to follow this format!
    Code:
    <sprites>
    [hide=Importable][/hide]
    [hide=Description][/hide]
  2. Two (2) days of voting for the winning team
Submitting Teams: Please include the following when submitting your teams. Post your entry on the thread!
  • Importable of your team in a hide tag
  • A brief description of your teambuilding process and how the team plays in another hide tag together.
  • Basically, that means you'll be using TWO hidetags in total.
It is recommended that you implement sprites, replays, or other things to improve your chances but you must have the two in the bullet points :]

If you're using sprites, place them outside of the hide tags, not inside them!

Discussion and Changes: People are free to talk about their and other people's teams in this thread. People can make suggestions to other people's teams but only to an extent; while you can suggest small things such as a nature change or move change, don't change up their team's structure or rebuild it because there's a different forum (RMT) for that. This isn't an RMT thread.

On Winning: If you win, congratulations! You'll have your name and team featured in the Hall of Fame.

On Copying Teams: Please don't. This just ruins the fun we can get out of this competition and is against the rules. You'll be DQ'd from the week if you were found copying other people's teams. If you suspect someone of doing this, PM me. Hopefully no one would do this, but take this as a warning.

On Bandwagoning / Namevoting: Please don't do this either. Don't just vote for a guy just because they have a ton of votes already or they're famous. Don't feel pressured to vote for anyone for any reason other than having the best team. If you really think a team is the best out there, vote for that team; don't let anything pressure you to do otherwise. Bandwagoning just ruins the spirit of this competition and isn't cool :[

On Self-Voting: It's not allowed. Votes for a user's own team will now be ignored. Those who built for the current round are likely to be knowledgeable on what an effective team featuring the given concept looks like, so you are encouraged to vote for whichever other team you feel most deserves to be featured.

On Suggestions: If you have any suggestions for this competition, feel free to PM me. It'll be considered, but there are ultimately no promises if it'll be implemented.

On Slashes: In play, you can only bring four moves; whatever set of moves you choose slashes is reflective of your own skill as a builder, and having slashes in a submission would be against the point. This is your own team; this isn't an analysis.

On Tiers: A week is for SS DOU unless stated otherwise.

On Quality of Submissions: I would highly recommend testing out your teams before submitting them to the thread. This will allow you to fix possible mistakes in your team and even provide you with replays for your post, which, all together, allows for a more polished submission. Also, while I definitely intend to encourage creativity within the competition, I am reserving the right to disqualify any submissions that are outlandishly poor and or lacking in coherency and thought.

On Deadlines: While I do give set deadlines, real life events and happenings may lead me to not being able to follow them strictly... basically, as long as I haven't called for voting, the submission round is still live. For the voting period, I will only count votes before the deadlines I set, however.

On Ties: In the case of ties, the host (tennisace) will make the final vote to break the tie.

HALL OF FAME
sm edition part 2 here

Week 1: GMax Lapras by GenOne

The Hydra (Lapras-Gmax) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Kleon (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Iokaste (Tyranitar) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Nyx (Whimsicott) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Tailwind
- Helping Hand
- Beat Up

Polemon (Arcanine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Deimos (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Bulk Up
- Roost
One of my main goals for this build was to make a team where Lapras wasn't deadweight if I chose to Dynamax a different Pokemon instead of it. Outside of Lapras's G-Max Resonance niche, I noticed that Lapras also does a fantastic job at deterring strong Water-types that sand teams dislike. Common Water-type breakers like Dracovish and Gyrados take an L from Lapras's Freeze Dry, as do rain sweepers like Ludicolo and Seismitoad. With this in mind, I decided that a Lapras + sand core would be fun to build around.

Both Lapras and Tyranitar carry Weakness Policy to bait in SE attacks. Either mon, in Dynamax forme, can easily sponge a SE hit and retaliate. If Lapras happens to be the Gigantamax star of the show, the screens it sets will also help Tyranitar sponge SE hits later on.

I added Whimsicott for its reliable speed control, Gastrodon hunting abilities, and overall splendid presence as a support mon.

Arcanine was added as an obligatory Fire-type to deal with Steel-types like Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Beat Up Whimsicott + Justified Arcanine was low hanging fruit at this point, so I tossed that in, but this team should be balanced enough that you don't need to rely on that as a crutch -- it's just extra firepower if you happen to be in a position to deploy the strat.

Corviknight serves as a bulky wincon to pressure more agressive teams. Excadrill technically isn't a Steel-type because it goes on all-out offense, so I figured that a defensive Steel-type wouldn't be redundant on this team.

I'm sure there's room to improve this team, but overall I'm happy with the framework I came up with and I hope some people enjoy giving this team a shot :)

Week 2: Corviknight by YoBuddy

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Power Whip
- Protect

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- High Horsepower
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Worry Seed

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Moonblast
- Hyper Beam

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Rhyperior @ Lum Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Swords Dance
- Protect
I started this team with the core of Gyarados + Dracozolt. Gyarados is immune to ground and can OHKO all the ground types in the format and boost Dracozolt's speed with Max Airstream. I pretty much add Whimsicott automatically to most teams without Trick Room. Prankster Tailwind is just too powerful not to have. Whimsicott often gets targeted with Fake Out so Helping Hand is nice because has higher priority, especially when you are trapped by Gothitelle. From there I wanted some strong spread moves to help get around the likes of Indeedee and Sylveon + fast Rhyperior fit the team well. Rhyperior is Lum Berry over Weakness Policy because it has less bulk than the Trick Room set and Gyarados and Dracozolt are also vulnerable to Will-o-wisp and I Dynamax them more often than Rhyperior. Finally I added Corviknight to improve the sand matchup and for a solid Fairy resist. Impish nature boosts Corviknight's best stat and allows it to deal more damage with Body Press. I already had 3 fire resists and 2 Electric resists/immunities so Corviknight fits really well here.

Week 3: Hydreigon by YoBuddy

Hydreigon @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Helping Hand

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 44 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Power Whip
- Protect

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Imprison
- Transform
- Trick Room
- U-turn
Instead of Scarf Hydreigon I opted for Weakness Policy. Weakness Policy is a pretty broken item in SWSH, abusing the extra bulk and power of Dynamax to its fullest potential. Hydreigon's +2 Max Steelspike OHKOs every (non Babiri/Sash/Dynamax) Fairy in the meta and Hydreigon is faster than all of them except Whimsicott. I made up for the lack of immediate speed with extra speed control options for the other members of the team. U-Turn Whimsicott is the mon of choice to activate Weakness Policy. U-Turn is a useful move on Whimsicott as it often finds itself switching out to keep the option of a late game Tailwind. Being able to escape Gothitelle's Shadow Tag is also really useful. As many people have identified Dragapult is a big threat to Hydreigon. I added Scarf Darmanitan for some extra speed control and to threaten Dragapult. Arcanine helps give the team a defensive backbone as a Fairy resist and Intimidate support. Keeping the speed advantage and offensive pressure was important to me so I added Lum Berry Moxie Gyarados. Being able to boost allies to +1 speed with Max Airstream to outspeed Dragapult is very useful and Gyarados is a good wincon by itself. Mew brings the team together. So far the team is very weak to Trick Room and I needed an iron clad way of preventing it in one slot. Duraludon, while literally iron clad, needs support beyond Whimsicott's Helping Hand to KO Babiri Berry Hatterene, which makes it a pretty medicore Trick Room check on this team, so I removed Duraludon for Mew after some testing. Beyond the standard Imprison/Transform/Trick Room set I added U-Turn as another way to activate Hydreigon's Weakness Policy and to use Mew's bulk to pivot in the more frail members of the team. Transform also allows me to gain another sweeper by Transforming into my own boosted Hydreigon/Gyarados. Triple U-Turn gives me plenty of options to keep momentum and bring in Hydreigon/Gyarados to Dynamax and win the game.

Week 4: Durant by YoBuddy

Durant @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Stomping Tantrum
- Rock Slide

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
Level: 99
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Vileplume @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- After You

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room

Braviary (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Tailwind
- Protect

Rhyperior @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
I wanted to go with an offensive build to maintain the pressure that Dynamax Durant exerts. I was inspired by Paraplegic's Lapras sun team that was able to pressure Trick Room teams without running Duraludon or something passive, like Jail Mew. Durant dies to every fire attack anyway so sun isn't really an issue for it. Gothitelle + Durant is a really strong lead that lets you KO opposing mons with Helping Hand + Durant's strong Max moves or switch out if the opponent leads with Intimidate. Fake Out + Shadow Tag allows you to remove opposing Whimsicott before it can set Tailwind, which Durant really appreciates. After You + Trick Room allows you to set Trick Room at +0 priority, which is occasionally pivotal in securing a late game Torkoal sweep. Braviary is my Tailwind mon of choice, and combined with Gothitelle helps Durant to avoid wasting Dynamax turns getting Intimidated. I often prefer bulky Braviary but Jolly is nice to outspeed Dragapult at +1, which can threaten this team. Rhyperior rounds out the Trick Room side of the team and has Stealth Rock to also help deal with Intimidate cycling in case Gothitelle gets KO'd or Taunted. I used Lum Berry over Weakness Policy because I don't have any good ways to activate it myself. Overall its a really solid team that has a variety of ways to deal damage quickly with Durant and Torkoal and After You Vileplume.

Here's a ladder game vs stax featuring this team

Week 5: Flapple by Yellow Paint

Flapple @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Grav Apple
- Outrage
- Protect

Dragapult @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Darts
- Steel Wing
- Protect

Sylveon @ Throat Spray
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Quick Attack
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Tailwind
- U-turn

Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect
WP + Dynamax is broken, so let's have two! I really wanted to use Quick Attack Sylv, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity. WP Flapple kills practically everything, and Acro fits nicely for Airstream boosts, high bp after WP, and hitting Whimsi. Flapple's biggest issue is that it sometimes just dies before it can do anything, so Whimsi's a natural addition to help it move first. U-Turn's there for extra WP cheese, though it's also useful vs Goth or just pivoting after a Twind. Arc and Exca round out the team, really can't go wrong using em. Overall, the team is kinda reliant on Flap/Drag maxing and racking up kills, but I've found it's surprisingly flexible between Whimsi and Sylv.

Week 6: Nasty Plot Rotom-W by AuraRayquaza

Rotom-Wash @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 44 SpA / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Togekiss @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Super Luck
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 108 HP / 156 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave

Hitmontop (M) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Atk / 52 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Wide Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Heal Pulse
- Taunt
- Psychic

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

There's not actually too much that's special here. I much prefer Bold Rotom-W because it can still switch into and check the stuff it needs to but also has the power to KO stuff after a NP. It outspeeds Durant at +1 (from possible Airstreams) and OHKOs bulky Togekiss at +2. WP Togekiss is eh but very much so usable next to BP Hitmontop. They support Rotom quite nicely with Intimidate, Follow Me and Wide Guard while being an offensive threat by themselves. Togekiss outspeeds Dragapult at +1 and lives a hit that I honestly can't remember :x Shed Shell Hitmontop is so epic for being able to switch out of Gothitelle, so they can't start forcing 2v1 situations. Speaking of which, my own Gothitelle traps stuff and Taunts Indeedees/TR setters. Has some speed creep to Taunt/Fake Out other Goth. I wanted SR on the team, felt a bit weak to Gmax Zard, and wanted a bit of speed since I couldn't fit TW on. I added a sand core to help with all of these. Lum Tyranitar is quite nice for taking a burn then slapping Arcanines back. LO Excadrill is very useful on this team because the Duraludon matchup is a bit sketchy otherwise.

Week 7: Melmetal by YoBuddy

:Gothitelle: :Torkoal: :Venusaur: :Melmetal: :Whimsicott: :Dracozolt:

EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Psychic

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Level: 99
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Melmetal @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Substitute
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Level: 1
EVs: 1 HP
- Tailwind
- Endeavor
- Trick Room
- Protect

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- High Horsepower
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

I said on my VR post that I think Sun Semiroom is a strong archetype right now so I decided to build around that. Gothitelle is my Trick Room setter of choice because Shadow Tag is extremely good and helps you win any potential weather wars and lets you eliminate key threats with Helping Hand and a partner. Torkoal is pretty standard, even being level 99 is common these days. I went for Substitute Melmetal because it pairs well with Gothitelle's Shadow Tag, which lets you get a Sub off before being Intimidated. With Helping Hand Gothitelle and Fake Out immunity due to Substitute you can then OHKO Incineroar if it does decide to switch in (or if you trapped it before Melmetal came in). Venusaur adds some speed to the team and most teams are not well prepared for fast Sleep Powders right now. I tried a bunch of different things in the final 2 slots and I settled on a really fun duo. Level 1 Whimsicott puts heaps of pressure on opponents with the ability to drop any non Dynamaxed/Ghost type mon down to 1 HP as well as providing Tailwind for the fast members of the team. Protect on Whimsicott helps you take advantage of double targets and Fake Out, which Whimsicott is typically quite weak to. Level 1 Whimsicott actually makes for a powerful offensive combo when paired with Gothitelle due to the threat of Fake Out, Trick Room on both and being able to OHKO most of the meta with Endeavour + Psychic once Trick Room is up. Adding offensive presence to 2 mons that are usually quite passive changes matchups greatly. Dracozolt takes advantage of Whimsicott's Tailwind and kills Water/Flying mons that Torkoal or Venusaur might otherwise struggle with.

Replay vs Dawoblefet's new cancer team
Replay vs Purple Rain Lele in a roomtour final

Week 8: Zeraora by Qwello Lee

:dragapult: :primarina: :incineroar: :zeraora: :melmetal: :mew:

Dragapult @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Fly
- Protect

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 92 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Zeraora @ Salac Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Fling
- Plasma Fists

Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Body Press
- Acid Armor
- Protect

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Imprison
- Trick Room

I find zeraora kinda awkward to fit on teams, offensively I almost always find myself valuing more rotom's additional stab coverage and as a support option there are clearly better alternatives. Its one niche is being faster than dragapult and offering some good support moves, so I decided to start with the pair dragapult-zeraora and to use the latter to activate pult's weakness policy with fling, allowing me to snipe opposing dragapult and to apply immense pressure from the start. Dragapult's set is pretty standard, fly>acrobatics becuase max airstream from fly is a guaranteed OHKO on venusaur. As for zeraora I went with plasma fists>volt switch beacuse I wanted a way to pressure opposing togekiss a bit more. The general idea of the team was to use boosted dragapult to break early and remove the opponent's answers to one of my setup mons, so I added two setup wincons in acid armor melmetal and CM primarina, inspired by a sub-CM set I had seen on ladder (sub became protect later in testing). Lastly I added incin to further support my wincons and jail mew because I needed a way to reliably stop trick room from going up with a single mon. Aside from the ability to win endgames by itself mew also offers the possibility to tranform into boosted melmetal/primarina, doubling the pressure on the opponent

Week 9: No Tier 1 Pokemon by Yuichi

:charizard-gmax: :hatterene-gmax: :butterfree-gmax: :torkoal: :venusaur: :snorlax-gmax:
Bushfire (Charizard-Gmax) @ Life Orb
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Starstruck (Hatterene-Gmax) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 3 Spe
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick Room
- Protect

Befuddled (Butterfree-Gmax) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Rage Powder
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Yellostone (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 3 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Eruption
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

BAgs of money (Venusaur) @ Wide Lens
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

le Gourmand (Snorlax-Gmax) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- High Horsepower
- Belly Drum
- Protect
4 possible Gmaxes which are all super annoying to deal with on their own thrown into a single team to maximize the fun. Sunroom is broke. Double sleep is broke. Hard tork and sleep the exca against sand. Gmax whatever you think can maximize the fun otherwise. Thick Fat lax is for sun. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Week 10: Doubling Up in Doubles by talkingtree

:mew: :blastoise: :gothitelle: :incineroar: :rotom-fan: :duraludon:
Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Tailwind
- U-turn

Blastoise @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Dark Pulse
- Shell Smash
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heal Pulse
- Helping Hand
- Taunt
- Protect

Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 84 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Rotom-Fan @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 172 HP / 120 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot

Duraludon @ Life Orb
Ability: Stalwart
EVs: 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
I took inspiration from Nails's Week 1 team from last Snake and started around Transform Mew + Water Spout Blastoise + Heal Pulse Gothitelle. Incineroar is still around and even has Parting Shot now, so that was an easy add. I was looking for a Kartana replacement (Transform target with low HP to simulate great bulk when Transformed) and stumbled into Rotom-Fan. It's a little bit out there, but Rotom-Fan resists both Double Iron Bash and Body Press, gives Max Airstream boosts, and has decent coverage against the tier, hitting Dragapult, Whimsicott, Togekiss, Gothitelle, Venusaur, and Charizard all super effectively. Stealth Rock was key for a few calcs (+0 Fantom Max Darkness KOing Dragapult, +0 Blastoise Mystic Water Water Spout KOing most Incin), but I didn't want Ttar to chip down Blastoise and I already had two Psychics so i didn't want to go with Necrozma either. Duraludon's still strong even if it's not a Melmetal, so I slapped that on last. This team might not be very good but it's definitely fun and I beat sun with it, so that's something.

Week 11: Revenge of the GMax by Commander Beta

:reuniclus::oranguru::tsareena::rhyperior::melmetal::incineroar:

Reuniclus and oranguru both set up tr and are threats on their own, or due to instruct respectively. The first recieves an accuracy boost to it's 'focus' blast, while the later provides it with gravity, Rhyperior also benefits to a lesser extent. Tsareena counters gastrodon and allows the team to forget about being faked out or prankster status. Melmetal and rhyperior are together, the two physical attacker and main recipients of instruct. Meanwhile incineroar, well, do I have to really explain, the only weird thing I added was taunt to prevent setup and status, mainly hypnosis milotic.

Week 12: The Lollipop Guild by current!!

Week 13: No Glove All Love by (Week of May 11th)

Week 14: What's new, Pussycat? by (Week of May 25th)

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
With a new Generation comes a new mechanic to toy with. What better way is there to examine it than with one that boasts a peculiar Max move to utilize in...

Gigantamax Lapras! Boasting titanic bulk by metagame standards and typing that lends it a workable amount of good matchups, Lapras stands as a notable cog in SS DOU. What makes it quite an enticing buildaround is its signature G-Max Resonance, which notably sets an Aurora Veil with not much tempo cost (it can also be extended by Light Clay!). The Transport Pokemon carves out a niche of its own as a threatening bulky attacker that can push out a gamechanging effect for its team, helping in making trades potentially lopsided in hopefully eventual victories. A common criticism, however, is that it's quite unthreatening without the G-Max. How will players maximize this effect, and how will they make Lapras a piece that fits in the puzzle? That's the task for week 1!

Requirements: A team must have Lapras-GMax. Lapras-GMax should have a move that can be used for G-Max Resonance.

Week 1 submissions close on Saturday 11:59 PM EST. For future reference, the voting period is planned to last until the following Tuesday 2 AM EST (the asymetricality is due to me having class before US Monday midnight : ( )

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1578362114973.png
1578362145263.png
1578362117735.png
1578362173562.png
1578362147949.png
1578362193423.png

The Hydra (Lapras-Gmax) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpA
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Kleon (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Iokaste (Tyranitar) @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Nyx (Whimsicott) @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Tailwind
- Helping Hand
- Beat Up

Polemon (Arcanine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Deimos (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Bulk Up
- Roost
A common criticism, however, is that [Lapras is] quite unthreatening without the G-Max. How will players maximize this effect, and how will they make Lapras a piece that fits in the puzzle?
One of my main goals for this build was to make a team where Lapras wasn't deadweight if I chose to Dynamax a different Pokemon instead of it. Outside of Lapras's G-Max Resonance niche, I noticed that Lapras also does a fantastic job at deterring strong Water-types that sand teams dislike. Common Water-type breakers like Dracovish and Gyrados take an L from Lapras's Freeze Dry, as do rain sweepers like Ludicolo and Seismitoad. With this in mind, I decided that a Lapras + sand core would be fun to build around.

Both Lapras and Tyranitar carry Weakness Policy to bait in SE attacks. Either mon, in Dynamax forme, can easily sponge a SE hit and retaliate. If Lapras happens to be the Gigantamax star of the show, the screens it sets will also help Tyranitar sponge SE hits later on.

I added Whimsicott for its reliable speed control, Gastrodon hunting abilities, and overall splendid presence as a support mon.

Arcanine was added as an obligatory Fire-type to deal with Steel-types like Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Beat Up Whimsicott + Justified Arcanine was low hanging fruit at this point, so I tossed that in, but this team should be balanced enough that you don't need to rely on that as a crutch -- it's just extra firepower if you happen to be in a position to deploy the strat.

Corviknight serves as a bulky wincon to pressure more agressive teams. Excadrill technically isn't a Steel-type because it goes on all-out offense, so I figured that a defensive Steel-type wouldn't be redundant on this team.

I'm sure there's room to improve this team, but overall I'm happy with the framework I came up with and I hope some people enjoy giving this team a shot :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Lapras-Gmax @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpA / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Brine
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt
- Life Dew

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water

Gothitelle @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Arcanine @ Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 164 SpA / 8 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Burn Up
- Snarl

Croven (Corviknight) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Dragapult @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Phantom Force
- Dragon Rush
- Protect

Hello, This is my team submission.

Let me first explain the Lapras set. It wants to maximize HP to take full advantage of 2x HP during Max form. The 36 speed allows it out run max speed base 100s in Tailwind. Its is naturally very bulky and with the support of Veil, Lapras makes for a good Weakness Policy user
  • Brine - I have had bad experiences with Hydro Pump, so I avoid it at all cost. Brine is the next best water move, does 130bp when the target is less than 50% and its not so weak even at 65bp when WP is activated.
  • Life Dew - is really under appreciated. I'm running really bulky sets on all my mons, it will serve this team well.
I'll probably click Max-Water at least once in the 3 turns, so I figure adding a swift swimmer could be good. Using Ludicolo for grass coverage. Speed out runs max speed Dragapult in TW or Rain.

Goth+Snarl Arcanine is super good at wearing certain cores out. For example, Indeedee+Hat is a core I often can trap with Goth and wear them down with Snarl, kill Indeedee with Helping Hand+Burn Up if it tries redirecting my Heal Pulses to Arcanine, just leaving a -6spa Hat left. I think you need a second fire move on Arcanine if doing Burn-Up, you dont want to be left with just Snarl after using it.

This is a TailRoom team, I need a Steel attacker and Sand check. Corv is the obvious choice.

Finally I want to add a Dragon for defensive coverage, also one with decent bulk and a way to pivot if possible. Dragapult fit all that criteria, since this is TailRoom, I'll forgo max speed which is just for speed ties vs other Dragapult. With 180 Speed I outrun Whimsicott and can have Adamant Nature which leaves some EVs to dump in HP. Using Spooky Plate over Orb since I will click it most often and not using Sitrus because I have Life Dew and Heal Pulse on the team.

:ss/Sylveon: :ss/Dragapult: :ss/Machamp: :ss/Corviknight: :ss/lapras-gmax: :ss/Whimsicott:

Sylveon (F) @ Choice Specs
Happiness: 160
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

Dragapult (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Machamp @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 184 HP / 228 Atk / 40 Def / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Croven (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Lapras-Gmax (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 80 HP / 76 Def / 212 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Tailwind
- Stun Spore
- Taunt

Hello everyone.

This is a G-max Lapras team that I built and have had a good time using. I got high on the ladder and won some room tours with it. This team works around Lapras damage control and Whimsicott speed control.

All Pokemon on this team have specific Speed investments to outspeed opponents with Tailwind or Stun Spore. With this I can make my team move first and knock out threatening Pokemon, like Machamp vs Braviary, Lapras vs Tyranitar, etc.

Lapras has a full offensive set for this reason: Thunderbolt helps Lapras against Water-types while Gigantamax, and Electric Terrain is a good defense for this team against annoying Butterfrees or Yawn. Life Dew wasn't so useful in my battles, every time I tried it offensive moves seemed more useful. Also, an offensive set makes Lapras good even without Gigantamax, checking strong Water Pokemon like Dravovish, and Flying-types, including Corviknight.

Machamp and Corviknight are two pokemon that appreciate G-max Lapras's support. Aurora Veil makes both more bulky and hard to kill; with rain, Corviknight can ignore Fire moves and set up with Bulk Up for free. Also, both can support Lapras with their moves. Machamp can not only KO Tyranitar and Excadrill with Dynamic Punch, but also make your opponent lose momentum and their plays less safe thanks to confusion. Knock Off is a nice move that helps with Dusclops, Dragapult, Corsola, Bronzong, and Weakness Policy users such as Rhyperior. Stone Edge is great for neutralizing Braviary, Arcanine, and Gyarados.

With a good bulky core and strong physical attackers, I added two more fast special attackers. Dragapult is a good option when speed control isn't enough, has two good STABs, and is faster than Scarf Dracovish and even some slower stuff in Tailwind such Corviknight. Life Orb Fire Blast destroys opposing Corviknight, doing 70% damage; while Draco Meteor is dangerous to most targets. Sylveon is one of the best members on this team, doing well with Aurora Veil, and can be faster than almost everything with Whimsicott's speed control. Spamming Hyper Voice is a good way to pressure your opponent, and Hyper beam is useful to nuke the opponent's wincon.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Voting time! Just post the name of the user you're voting for in bold.

GenOne
n1n1
Asura Crimson

As mentioned, deadline of voting will be on Tuesday 2 AM EST!

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
It's a three-way tie! To break it, I'll have to cast my vote in here...

Congratulations to GenOne for winning this week's competition! His team will be featured on the Hall of Fame located on the OP of this thread.

This week, we'll be building with...

Corviknight! Karasuno symbol and bane of sand teams around, Corviknight presents itself as a really nifty defensive pick that can provide handy support in Tailwind as well as possibly providing boosts with Max Airstream, Max Steelspike, or Max Knuckle. A striking feature is its ability to comfortably put Excadrill and Tyranitar at bay, its typing and bulk on the physical side proving quite handy for the task. Its signature Mirror Armor is also quite nifty for bouncing back any nasty stat drops that opponents may try to pull. A general weakness of Corviknight, however, is its general passiveness as well as how often it ends up food to the various formes of Rotom as well as Arcanine. How will you guys take advantage of what Corviknight has on offer while making up for its particular weaknesses? That's the task for week 2!

Requirements: A team must have Corviknight.

Week 2 submissions close on Saturday 11:59 PM EST.

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1579152364116.png
1579152401850.png
1579152414329.png
1579153191166.png
1579152376621.png
1579152427565.png

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Ludicolo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Muddy Water
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Rock Slide

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 88 Def / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Protect
I had posted a similar team in the np: SS DOU stage 0 thread before this meta unfolded, but I updated some of the sets and replaced Dracozolt with Dragapult based on trends I've been seeing as of late.

Corviknight is a pretty splashable mon that you don't really need to build around, but I figured rain would be a good way to maximize its potential as a late game wincon. Since so few good Fire-types exist in the metagame anyways, I figured I'd double down and add Ferrothorn as another bulky wincon / damage sponge. This Ferrothorn is also packing Stealth Rock > Power Whip to deter Fire-types from switching in and out repeatedly to gain a favourable position. I did this at the risk of making the team weaker to Gastrodon, but I think Stealth Rock is generally worth it.

Dragapult is an all-around great Pokemon that works well as a lead and as a Dynamaxer. Thunder allows it to hit hard against Flying-types without forcing you to use a bad Electric-type Pokemon on your team.

Scarf Dracovish in rain basically lets you have your cake and eat it too, hitting as hard as a CB Dracovish while retaining CS speed.

And finally, Pelipper and Ludicolo do what they always do: set and sweep in rain. Expert Belt > Life Orb lets Ludicolo hit hard against intended targets without sacrificing HP to a Fake Out.

:corviknight::tyranitar::excadrill::rotom-mow::hydreigon::togekiss:

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Yawn
- Follow Me
- Protect

Rotom-Mow @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leaf Storm
- Protect

I personally think Corv is kind of bad and loses very hard to 2 of the top 10 mons in the format, Arcanine and whatever Rotom forme. I tried to build a team that would abuse these as much as possible, with Specs Hydreigon being the #1 partner in crime. Draco Meteor has a 70-80% chance to kill both Rotom and Arcanine, given these are just running max HP, and outspeeds both of them in order to avoid the Volt Switch pivot / Snarl. Given how freely Hydreigon switches into both of these, and with how damn strong Draco is, it's difficult to avoid sacking one of the two before the late game where Corviknight shines. Rotom-Mow provides additional support on Hydreigon's resistances and capitalizes on Rotom-Wash, the more tricky of the two prominent Rotom formes for Corviknight to deal with, as well as general pivoting and wisping. Tyranitar and Excadrill shore up the offense matchup as well as provide more offensive pressure against Rotom & Arcanine, chipping the latter and straight up murdering the former. This team ended up having 4 Earthquake immunes so I decided to actually use that on Excadrill with a Swords Dance set. I then added Togekiss to support that as well as provide generally invaluable redirection support, which can help Corviknight set up and avoid a Wisp. Drill if maxed can be irritating so I'm running Babiri + Yawn to help deal with it, which becomes especially relevant if Rotom is chipped.

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 192 HP / 184 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Endeavor
- Energy Ball
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Protect

Pikachu-Gmax @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Protect

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Roost
- Bulk Up

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Transform

Dracovish
252+ SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Dracovish: 312-368 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Corviknight
252 Atk Life Orb Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Corviknight: 335-398 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The team was built upon the "new" FWG core - Dracovish, Whimsicott, and Arcanine. Scarfed Dracovish OHKOs most mons, Whimsicott provides speed support and Arcanine cleans up several mons that may survive Fishious Rend. Whimsicott's Endeavor and Arcanine's Play Rough are several uncommon, but not unheard of elements that I included in the core.

Then, I added Pikachu. Volt Crash paralyzes both opposing mons, and Surf causes Fishious Rend to become a stuff of legend. In cases that Pikachu is not used for Gigantamax-ing, Corviknight may be used as a safe alternative; it can boost the team's speed and attack. Mew was my last selection just due to its unpredictable coverage and its access to Transform.

[/hide ]

Last edited:
:gyarados: :dracozolt: :whimsicott: :sylveon: :corviknight: :rhyperior:

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Power Whip
- Protect

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- High Horsepower
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Worry Seed

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire
- Moonblast
- Hyper Beam

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Rhyperior @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Swords Dance
- Protect

I started this team with the core of Gyarados + Dracozolt. Gyarados is immune to ground and can OHKO all the ground types in the format and boost Dracozolt's speed with Max Airstream. I pretty much add Whimsicott automatically to most teams without Trick Room. Prankster Tailwind is just too powerful not to have. Whimsicott often gets targeted with Fake Out so Helping Hand is nice because has higher priority, especially when you are trapped by Gothitelle. From there I wanted some strong spread moves to help get around the likes of Indeedee and Sylveon + fast Rhyperior fit the team well. Rhyperior is Lum Berry over Weakness Policy because it has less bulk than the Trick Room set and Gyarados and Dracozolt are also vulnerable to Will-o-wisp and I Dynamax them more often than Rhyperior. Finally I added Corviknight to improve the sand matchup and for a solid Fairy resist. Impish nature boosts Corviknight's best stat and allows it to deal more damage with Body Press. I already had 3 fire resists and 2 Electric resists/immunities so Corviknight fits really well here.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Voting time! Sorry for the late one, I was out of the house this Sunday afternoon. To vote, clearly indicate the username of the user you're voting for.

GenOne
qsns
Test Bots
YoBuddy

Deadline of voting will be on Tuesday 2 AM EST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)