Other Metagames SS Doubles UU-The (Trick) Room Where It Happens

Hello! This is my first RMT (and contribution to Smogon forums in general), and the first team that I'm actually kinda proud of. It's not perfect (Greedent and Coalossal kick this team's collective asses more often than not), but that's why I'm putting it out here. The overall goal of this team is to generate as much offensive pressure as possible while reliably keeping Trick Room going, as well as not being completely helpless when those 4 turns are up. I hope you enjoy reading about this team and maybe giving some feedback too :)

:ss/chandelure:

eliza hamilton (Chandelure) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

A nice offensive Trick Room user. Sash almost always ensures it can get a Trick Room up and running, and its powerful STAB Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are pretty scary without the right resistances. Dark Pulse is there for coverage, and while a lot of EVs are invested into HP, I never plan for it to set up Trick Room twice. Chandelure just isn't that bulky, sadly. Instead, its purpose is to start netting KOs early, leaving room for others to sweep. You're probably wondering why I'm running Infiltrator instead of Flash Fire, and it's because Chandelure already resists Fire, and I personally see more utility in passing through screens and Substitute, which severely cut the momentum of the match otherwise.

:ss/escavalier:

history larper (Escavalier) @ Choice Band
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Escavalier is the definition of a Trick Room powerhouse. 40 speed under Trick Room is nearly uncontested, especially if it attacks a Cotton Down Eldegoss. The only things that could possibly outspeed it are other min speed Escavaliers and Greedents. Also 607 attack is nothing to scoff at, and it's still useful even with a burn or Intimidate. Megahorn is usually its best attack, because Pokemon like Malamar, Oranguru, Indeedee and Eldegoss pretty much always get OHKO'd, plus 120 base power and STAB. Iron Head is good for more STAB, and the set is rounded out with coverage moves. Unlike Chandelure, Escavalier can actually take quite a few hits, which is good because it pretty much always attacks last until Trick Room is set up. Shell Armor is there so that I don't get unlucky with crits.

:ss/jellicent:

toxic pringles (Jellicent) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp

The lone defensive Pokemon on the team. Jellicent is good for late game stalling (very often it's my last Pokemon standing), and consistently getting Trick Room set up after Chandelure faints. Cursed Body also helps disable an opponent's best offensive option, reliable recovery helps in the aforementioned late game stalling, Scald and Will-O-Wisp are two distinct ways to burn opponents (although I probably could replace the latter with Toxic), and not being complete Taunt bait is nice. Overall, a pretty simple wall with quite a bit of utility up its sleeve.

:ss/malamar:

lewis calamari (Malamar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Superpower
- Liquidation
- Knock Off

The newest addition to the team. Originally the role of physically offensive Trick Room user was held by Gallade, but it wasn't quite cutting it. Given the generally fast pace of this team and the obligatory Trick Room, it can't afford to run RestTalk, however this also means it can run more coverage. It's especially good when it switches into opponents with low HP and uses them to set up with Superpower. Knock Off is good utility and STAB, and Water is a solid offensive type as well. Generally, it doesn't actually use Trick Room, but it is still a good option to have. And Life Orb is particularly good when I have to go for Knock Off or Liquidation before Superpower.

:ss/xurkitree:

that bent charger (Xurkitree) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Honestly, probably the weakest link. However, that doesn't mean it's completely useless. Dazzling Gleam is the lone move on this team that targets two Pokemon at once (my lack of Ground-immune Pokemon and choice to give Jellicent Cursed Body instead of Water Absorb prevented me from using Earthquake and Surf, respectively). And like Malamar, it's great for picking off low HP opponents because of Beast Boost. I will, however, admit that Grass/Electric/Fairy/Electric again isn't the greatest coverage in the world, although countering any Gastrodons I come across is pretty sweet.

:ss/kyurem:

ice ice baby (Kyurem) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

Kyurem is in theory my speedy safety net for when Trick Room is down, and in practice is also a late game cleaner. Outrage is surpisingly spammable, as by the time Kyurem would get confused, it's either KO'd or won the match. Stone Edge and Iron Head can both be used for Pokemon like Togekiss and Alolan Ninetales (the former especially so because it can effectively punish a Follow Me). I didn't invest in Speed so that it can still function in Trick Room against particularly fast Pokemon, and Choice Band maximizes power. Kyurem doesn't particularly have a need to switch moves anyway.

Here's a replay using this team that I am quite proud of as well: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesuu-1309878361

If you've made it this far, thank you so much! Like I said, feedback is much appreciated. May your Focus Blasts hit and your battles be fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)