Suspect SS Godly Gift Suspect #3: Eternatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

:ss/eternatus:

Eternatus has been one of the most centralizing Pokemon in the Godly Gift metagame for the entire generation. Having amazing bulk and offenses on its own while being able to pass those stats on to make all of its other teammates insanely versatile attackers/walls has caused Eternatus to become the next suspect in Godly Gift.

Offensively, Eternatus has very few switch-ins. Apart from Heatran and the Slowbro and Slowking formes, nothing can reliably switch into the coverage of Dynamax Cannon, Flamethrower, and Sludge Bomb. That coverage is spectacular, and when it's used in tandem with Recover, Eternatus can freely utilize Life Orb to stay healthy while breaking down bulkier Pokemon. Even if a Pokemon is able break through the 3 Attacks + Recover set, Eternatus can opt to run a Cosmic Power set that often wins at preview due to most Pokemon being unable to break through Eternatus once it gets a Cosmic Power up.

As a donor, Eternatus is able to pass its insane Speed tier onto slower Pokemon with monstrous Attack stats such as Crawdaunt, Bisharp, and Dhelmise, enabling them to outspeed most offensive Pokemon with their insane power. All of the other Gods with the same or better Speed tier all have disadvantages such as mediocre defensive stats (Pheromosa) or overall less promising offensive presence in the metagame (Zamazenta). With 145 Special Attack, Eternatus is able to make stong special attackers even better, as there's almost nothing that doesn't work out in the Special Attack slot.

These factors have been proven time and time again in the Godly Gift Open due to Eternatus's insanely high usage, and after hearing some community feedback and feedback from top players, the council has unanimously decided to suspect test Eternatus.

Suspect details: During a Suspect, each player must climb the ladder until they've acquired the GXE necessary to participate in the voting. Primarily, everyone that participates needs to make an alt account following these guidelines:
  • Every game must be played on the official Pokemon Showdown site and on a new account (creation date no earlier than today, March 6th, 2022) with "GGTERN [Nick]"--for example, I could create one called "GGTERN Kris" to ladder with.
  • To qualify for voting, your alt must play a minimum of 25 games, and you must have a minimum GXE of 75.
  • Eternatus will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.
  • The suspect test will end on March 6th, 2022 at 11:59 PM GMT-5.
  • When posting proof of meeting reqs, feel free to use this thread as a means to civilly elucidate any topical opinions regarding whether or not Eternatus should be banned (Optional).
  • It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured).
As usual, the actual voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum, so posting anything other than proof of reqs and discussion isn't necessary.

Last edited:
Definitely needs to be banned, every other god right now is basically a meme/niche pick.
What really pushes it over the edge imo is to turn some slow but powerful mons into basically Uber (or even better) mons, one example being Rhyperior (115/140/130/55/55/130). Being weak to almost nothing but Water shuriken, it is extremely threatening and can swords dance into sweep without caring much about the situation.
Another thing I want to mention is Toxic Spikes Eternatus with a potentially defensive spread, it is rediculously hard to break through for OU levels of power and also hard to outsustain. Considering that most GG teams has at most 3 actual powerful attackers thats beyond OU level of power, it is a nightmare to face.

P.S. Was about to edit but yeah I'll repost

GG req.PNG

After failing to get reqs on several accounts, I settled with my most skillful team and literally speedran req in under 2 hours (1 game at a time). I will list some teams I used so you can take some to ladder if you are interested. Using multiple teams is better so that you don't get cteamed like I did. In other runs I used a mix of the other 4 teams.
https://pokepast.es/8b87b4c87e6c860d - Shell Smash - Used in most of the games in the successful run
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. This team I made after being a bit short of req turned out to be not just a meme but also extremely effective. It also gives you extremely quick games, so even if you happen to lose, you won't lose much time.
https://pokepast.es/b5a25f3722745cfc - Gengar Yveltal BO
Since Ghost is broken I decided to find a Ghost mon that can go mixed. Yveltal has exceptional defensive synergy with Gengar, then the final product ended up being a BO team despite my first plan to build a balanced one. Etern can be rough, you should always lead with Fini against Etern to prevent Poison and also weaken Dynamax Cannon.
https://pokepast.es/8bb995973348d775 - Registeel Stall (Registall)
Registeel is insanely fat, and can 6-0 a lot of teams, especially those without a Ghost or 4x resist to fighting. The rest is quite standard.
https://pokepast.es/ebeb095a5b56cced - Mewtwo Psyspam
Since I made a Grass spam team, it's just correct that I aso build a Psyspam (UT, beauts and some others already built Electric spam). This team is okayish, but is a bit prone to matchup just like most Terrain teams do.
https://pokepast.es/a24b632da1902e5f - Persian NDM Balance
Since my Persian nom went unnoticed, I built another team in hope to prove its worth. It actually came out huge, and with U-Turn + Knock Off you can pivot to Magnezone to trap them. Also literally nobody expects Scarf Nidoking, which gave me too many free KOs on Etern and Koko.

Thoughts on Eternatus:
Eternatus is extremely centralizing at the moment, both giving incredible stats and being very difficult to handle itself. I always felt the need to add Slowtwins or other methods to handle it and sometimes that isn't even enough. Between normal LO, Meteor Beam and Demon, it can outlast pretty much anything in large parts due to Sludge Bomb poison severely cutting its checks longevity short. A lot of games also come down to game deciding 130 speedtie with how many Etern and Koko there are.
The stats it gives out only makes matters worse, and the fact that Koko + Etern is extremely common pushes the speedtie aspect even more. A lot of mons are severely gatekept, namely Ubers mons due to being inferior than Etern and non god due to not being able to handle Etern's popular partners in some ways. Its strength also demands offensive teams to either run Pheromosa/Zamazenta or otherwise bad mons to secure the speed advantage, and this is very unhealthy in my eyes in addition to the centralizing aspect. The meta will be more diverse and better without Eternatus in the tier.

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Stall is fun, s/o beauts for nearly ruining my run with Silvally-Fairy and Spectrier.

I'm slightly more mixed on Etern than the general sentiment in the thread but still leaning heavily towards ban. Between being a super oppressive presence itself and donating one of the best stat spreads in the game Etern is probably too much for the meta, that said I'm a bit concerned about the meta becoming a bit too decentralized and ending up matchup fishy as a result.

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
1645815293538.png

s/o Siamato pour aucune raison
s/o longhiep341 for being broken
s/o Redflix for stalling me
s/o UT for being amazing even if u should l2p
s/o pannuracotta l2p bro ???
s/o Galarian Zapdos the goat

this suspect was not hard it was just painfully long to wait between every games LOL
Eternatus is definitely banworthy without a doubt, its amazing on itself (CP, LO 3A, Meteor Beam, are all broken sets, + insane defensive utility if needed) but as a god it is stupidly good, 394 Speed is painful to RK and u 2 need to mons for this, one for etern and one for the Speed receiver, so it's most of the game just a speed tie lol, + insane bulk etc, nah ngl Eternatus is 1000% banworthy

https://pokepast.es/c608db7a883563b4 team I used (don't stall pls be a man)

also 3rd suspect today im TIRED
cc Dragonillis ça va ?

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Confirming as GGTERN [Nick] cause I follow directions
Etern Reqs.JPG

Planning on voting ban. Eternatus's combination of power, speed, coverage, and recovery is unparalleled and leaves it with very few checks that can hope to outlast it--the SlowTwins are the only checks I have found on balanced builds that can keep up with it over a long game, and that is not a healthy place to be when Eternatus also has very good bulk and reliable recovery. Additionally, I think without Eternatus offering an easy 130 Spe, a number of our other potential brokens (glares at the lobster) become much more manageable. No other god offers such a combination of speed, power, and bulk while still being a top threat in its own right.

I do not take banning an Uber lightly, as that's a core mechanic of the metagame. However, after Eternatus, there is no other god in my opinion that is uncheckable to nearly the same degree. All of them either lack recovery, have much worse coverage, are slower, or have much less immediate power--and often multiple of those. I am hopeful that this will be the last Uber ban we see for a while, and that metagame will be more open and diverse afterwards.

Also Osake you messed up the nicknames >:(

longhiep341 sorry for doubting your Shell Smash team, that carried me in the first half of this run

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 7.15.25 PM.png

confirming as ggtern is bad

gg is a super fun ladder, although sometimes you can wait a while for games
mostly used pannuracotta's ho team, but also used a few miscellaneous teams that are not good enough to share

anyways probably going to vote ban, others have said it but etern brings so much to the table that unless im trying to use another god, i usually end up choosing it.

IBM

Banned deucer.
E7716613-0D95-4C98-B706-E78D4EA991D3.jpeg

Wow. Went undefeated in the suspect that gives me TC, really fun meta, etern is probably broken bc good stats all around, it’s common with koko so there’ll be 3 base 130s running around and it’s very hard to control.

S/o the 2v2 room, my lover plant based, if only you could see me now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)