Welcome to the Sword and Shield Monotype Viability Rankings! In Monotype, Pokemon are ranked based upon how viable they are relative to the other Pokemon you have available on a particular type. The Pokemon in A rank are more viable than those in B rank, but that does not mean B rank Pokemon aren't useful or don't have a very valuable niche. Anything that is ranked must be usable and have some value that prevents it from being outclassed. Most Pokemon are placed into one of five different rankings: S, A, B, C, and D. Some Pokemon aren’t listed either because they are either completely outclassed or they simply haven't been ranked yet. Pokemon are ranked separately for each type. For example, Flying teams love having access to Xatu's Magic Bounce to block Stealth Rock and its ability to set up Reflect and Light Screen for the team, but Psychic teams have limited interest in Xatu because there are superior options for its niches; Xatu would be ranked separately for each type.
General / Write up Rules
- Flaming will not be tolerated. Please respectfully debate each other's nominations.
- Post smartly, don't just be like "I like Dubwool, so it should be in S Tier!"
- Stay on topic. This thread is intended for the discussion of how viable Pokemon are relative to each other, which does involve sometimes referring to Pokemon as broken or extremely good. However, there are other more suited threads for posting about whether a Pokemon is too broken, so make sure to frame your posts appropriately.
- Please only nominate rank changes for Pokemon that you have direct experience using. Do not use theory or on-paper ideas.
- Avoid posting very brief and simple questions such as "Why is Galarian Corsola A Rank? It sucks!" The Simple Questions and Simple Answers is the perfect place to ask your simple question to get a simple answer!
How to rank
- Include the Pokemon you're rating, the type, and what rank you want it to be.
- Provide an explanation as to why you put it in that rank and how it fares in Monotype. (Why should it be ranked lower or higher?)
These Pokemon have been brought up multiple times for discussion with the same arguments or are just awful. A type can be blacklisted if it is an extreme circumstance. If anyone talks about a Pokemon that is blacklisted your post will be deleted and or infracted.
Last edited by a moderator: