Resource SS Monotype Viability Rankings [Crown Tundra]

I don't know. Prankster T-Wave alone makes Thundurus better than Eleki (and Zolt for that matter.) In a world in which Specs Zapdos hadn't been discovered it'd have a pretty strong case for inclusion in A just due to how valuable Prankster Taunt and T-Wave become in offensive metas (I think it has a slight case, in fact.) Beyond its clearly defined utility as prankster support it has a pretty incredible movepool from which it can pull all manner of shenanigans including bait sets as a secondary physical attacker.

Right now I think Elec is pretty clearly defined as:

S

A

B

with everything after Raikou (SubCM for mirror), Galvantula, and Rotom-H being irrelevant.

___

B -> A

Screens HO is Dark's most competitive playstyle in the present meta. You cannot have screens without Grimmsnarl. Therefore, Grimmsnarl should be A (particularly if we are now arguing that Moltres-G and Mandibuzz are now roughly equivalent A mons across their respective niches on HO and balance). Not only is this reasoning keeping in line with how mons have been ranked on other types this generation, but among the types most commonly known for screens builds, Dark is the only one to have its setter ranked lower than A.

Beyond this, Grimmsnarl's access to priority Taunt and T-wave provide it additional utility both as a gameplan disruptor (preventing the setup of enemy hazards) and as an emergency failsafe with a last-ditch Thunder Wave.

(Dark)
A -> S
have yall ever seen dark w/o this mon? i dont rly have much to say since this should be quite obvious... its been on every dark team this mpl so far. the mon's rly good at breaking stuff like steel/fly/etc but can also act as speed control with a choice scarf. ubiquitous mon on all dark teams and certainly deserves to be a tier above weavile and zarude.
Agreed, Beyond tour play Hydra has been at 70%+ usage on Dark for at least 6 months now, and I have never seen a good Dark without one regardless of build. It is an incredibly versatile attacker with the occasional curveball for coverage as well as a threat that has to be accounted for by almost the entire tier. In comparison, Mandibuzz is no longer an absolute staple due to it being a fairly odd choice on HO Dark, and I do not think Tyranitar is significantly better enough than Hydreigon (I don't think this at all, actually) to warrant it being the standalone member of S rank.

Last edited:
:arctozolt:D>B
I usually take mons I see in official tournament play and try to apply them to monotype. Credits to Dragon Claw since his WCOP game prompted me to use it. Zolt not only provides some much needed speed control on Ice,(only thing we have is what, scarf weavile?) But has great coverage in Bolt beak, Blizzard/freeze dry, and low kick.
With its coverage/speed control, it makes your water, flying, dark, and poison match ups much easier in the long run.

Figured it's worth mentioning it's been used in official tournament play (Rinda being a solid mention, so it's viability isn't in question. It's also impacted the meta a bit during MLT, making some people considering running scarf shifu(lol) and scarf zapdos G.

Out atm so can't provide much replays, but if you reach out to me privately I can find some at a later date. Thanks for reading!

:slowking-galar: (Psychic) B-> A/S

Assault Vest Slowking-Galar is just absolutely brutal to face off against. Access to great coverage moves + a decent special attack means he does more than just wall. Can't be poisoned and most damage is mitigated thanks to Regenerator.

Pains me to say it because I would have never thought it but he is easily the MVP on my team. Responsible for a lot of my bad type match-up wins. To be viable in the upper ladders there is no better Special Def in my opinion and that alone should push it out of B.

Happy to elaborate further!

Roserade (Grass) :roserade: D -> C

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm not really sure why Roserade is this low on the rankings. It's better than Venusaur on non-Sunny Day variants of Grass teams with a higher Special Attack stat and Speed stat. It also makes an ideal scarfer due to its diverse movepool and Natural Cure ability, rendering it immune to being crippled by paralysis early in the game. Tspikes access makes matchups against types with little hazard removal like Normal much easier, and the poison chip can prove crucial against matchups like Ice or Goodra Dragon. Dazzling Gleam access allows Roserade to clean late game against Dark and Dragon, and Roserade is great in the Fairy matchup. It's not worth B rank, but I think Roserade is better than all of D tier and is a viable option for the 6th mon on Grass teams, more so than Appletun which has been basically obsolete ever since Cradily returned.

roxiee

Oh wow, I'm a princess.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
ill finish the rest later if its not updated by then

:shuckle: Shuckle (Bug) A -> B / C

I feel like Bug teams can go without Stealth Rock. SM/ORAS/BW Bug teams may require Stealth Rock to make dramatic progress but SS is an entirely different ballgame. Heavy-Duty Boots being spammed on Flying/Fire/Ice along with effective hazard removers on every type just makes me think Shuckle is entirely too passive and momentum draining. Other Pokemon can run Sticky Web and it's better to just compress it on Galvantula/Araquanid rather than waste an entire slot. If you're that desperate for entry hazards, I'd suggest using Taunt+Spikes Golisopod.

:heracross: Heracross (Bug) B -> A
:golisopod: Golisopod (Bug) D - C

Golisopod + Heracross is my favorite core on Bug teams and I find that Emergency Exit allows Heracross to come in and safely activate its Flame Orb for better wallbreaking. Golisopod uses Taunt to prevent entry hazards from coming up and 184 Speed outspeeds Celesteela exactly. It also has its own Spikes to pressure the own team and Taunt+Exit is good synergy since it forces the opposing user to attack rather than using it as hazard fodder. Heracross is the best steelbreaker on Bug teams because if you look at Buzzwole, it falls short to all the Flying/Steel Pokemon: Celesteela (Air Slash/Flamethrower), Corviknight (Brave Bird), and Skarmory (Brave Bird). I find that doing direct/instant pressuring damage is more effective than consecutively spamming Bulk Up which has counterplay. I find that Buzzwole is a better scarfer however due to its Beast Boost + spectacular coverage in Earthquake, Ice Punch, Stone Edge, and so on.

:mandibuzz: Manidbuzz (Dark) S -> A
:hydreigon: Hydreigon (Dark) A -> S

Dark teams are commonly using screens and I feel like the archetype is consistent just like balanced Dark or even better. On both balanced and offensive Dark teams, there are staples, Tyranitar and Hydreigon. Tyranitar and Hydreigon are also mobile Pokemon; Tyranitar can use a defensive set with Stealth Rock and opt for whatever the last slot being Heavy Slam / Fire Blast / Toxic / etc and use offensive sets like Dragon Dance or Choice Band while Hydreigon can use a number of sets like Choice Specs, SubNP, Choice Scarf, NP+3Atks with a range of coverage to back it up. I feel like the "Flying-typing" of Dark teams is a necessity to help with Mold Breaker Excadrill and Galarian Moltres has stepped in to fulfill that job on more offensive variants.

:krookodile: Krookodile (Dark) C -> B / C

Defensive Krookodile is pretty nice and I posted a spread is 2HKOed by Melmetal's Double Iron Head Bash and it lives a Choice Specs Dazzling Gleam from Tapu Koko and a Choice Scarf Moonblast from Tapu Lele. Dark teams lack an Electric immunity and Krookodile provides that. Its access to Stealth Rock allows Tyranitar to use a Dragon Dance set to help with Flying, Fairy, Steel, and etc. It's also a nice offensive lead with max / max and its a nice Choice Scarf user as I prefer using Toxic.
:sableye: Sableye (Dark) D -> C

Sableye's unique typing checks quite a bit of stuff like Galarian Zapdos, Urshifu-R, Choice-locked Keldeo, and Buzzwole. Sableye doesn't beat any of them one-on-one but it's moreso the defensive core it forms with its teammates like Zarude + Sableye checks Urshifu-R and Keldeo and Mandibuzz+Sableye checks Galarian Zapdos and Buzzwole. These same relationships are why some Pokemon are ranked in our past generation viability rankings such as (ORAS) Dark - Cacturne and (USUM) Fighting - Toxicroak. Sableye is also on the sample teams now lol...so I assume its viability has been recognized. I find Will-O-Wisp / Encore / Knock Off to be pretty annoying against Ground / Poison / Flying and etc and I support the rise.

:raikou: Raikou (Electric) C -> B

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 112 HP / 96 Def / 40 SpA / 52 SpD / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
I feel like Raikou is a nice anti-metagame Pokemon with its Substitute + Calm Mind set, which specifically does well against Flying, Poison, Steel, and Psychic. Scald is nice for Dragonite/Ferrothorn/Nidoking and if you catch the burn/KO, on any of these Pokemon, it's pretty much GG in my eyes lol.

:tapu_fini: Tapu Fini (Fairy) C -> B

MLT showcased Attribute's CM Tapu Fini team and CM + Taunt is really nice against bulkier types like Poison, Steel, and Flying while also guaranteeing the win versus Dragon and Dark. His team was also used a bit in MPL and honestly, this Pokemon can be added to the sample teams lol.

:kommo-o: Kommo-o (Fighting) UR -> D

I've been testing Belly Drum Kommo-o for like Flying/Water/Steel on Fighting with Teleport Dual Screens Gallade and it's a fun surprise. I don't think this Pokemon should be unranked and I think there is also a viable special scales set but it needs the Galladee support to pull off any health-reducing boosting set stat move..lol.

:scrafty: Scrafty (Fighting) UR -> D

Requires Screens to be successful but I found that Roselia berry gives it hope against Tapu Lele / Mimikyu assuming Light Screen is up for an easier Psychic and Ghost matchup. I feel like this is better than Pangoro also lol but maybe a Scarf Goro set can be used but it seems pretty slow and it doesn't outspeed Scarf Lele so :P.

:incineroar: Incineroar (Fire) C -> B

Psychic immunity is pretty crucial and it also offers Parting Shot for momentum and easier wallbreaking and Taunt to prevent opposing setup. Intimidate + Parting is too good to give up, especially on Screen Fire teams.

:talonflame: Talonflame (Fire) C -> D

3 words: 50/50 vs Excadrill. Moltres can actually survive a Rock Slide and its pivoting is more valuable than priority Dual Wingbeat which was pretty pitiful last MLT.

:appletun: Appletun (Grass) C -> D

Doesn't do anything, Cradily is better. Fire and Ice have ways of beating it regardless of Thick Fat and it drains momentum and literally does nothing.

:virizion: Virizion (Grass) D -> C

Its access to Zen Headbutt and Stone Edge gives Grass better hope against Poison and Flying teams. Lum Berry allows it to get 2-3 Swords Dances off in front of Toxapex/Galarian Weezing however Crobat Poison can make it slightly more difficult but it's more of a prediction thing when it switches into a Stone Edge.

:hippowdon: Hippowdon (Ground) S -> A

Sandless Ground shows that it performs as well as Sand if not better, however, Eject Button Sand is still pretty viable in my eyes. Momentum is an issue that some players find on sandless, but at least one of the momentum drainers (Gastrodon/Hippowdon) should be equipped with the button to make use of sand in tbh.

:landorus-therian: Landorus-T (Ground) A -> S

Dropping your Flying/Ground means your team is spammed by powerful Ground-type attacks like Banded Earthquake from Excadrill and Nidoking's Earth Power. It's an aspect of teambuilding to run a Ground immunity and Landorus-T's Bulk Up + Gravity/Fly or Choice Scarf is pretty effective on the type.

Last edited:
:arctozolt:D>B
I usually take mons I see in official tournament play and try to apply them to monotype. Credits to Dragon Claw since his WCOP game prompted me to use it. Zolt not only provides some much needed speed control on Ice,(only thing we have is what, scarf weavile?) But has great coverage in Bolt beak, Blizzard/freeze dry, and low kick.
With its coverage/speed control, it makes your water, flying, dark, and poison match ups much easier in the long run.

Figured it's worth mentioning it's been used in official tournament play (Rinda being a solid mention, so it's viability isn't in question. It's also impacted the meta a bit during MLT, making some people considering running scarf shifu(lol) and scarf zapdos G.

Out atm so can't provide much replays, but if you reach out to me privately I can find some at a later date. Thanks for reading!
Do you think mixed Zolt is the way to go? It does get access to Icicle Crash so it’s not like it’s dying for STAB

Do you think mixed Zolt is the way to go? It does get access to Icicle Crash so it’s not like it’s dying for STAB
Hello! That's actually a great question because originally I had icicle crash. The reason I use freeze dry>crash is because it makes the water match up alot easier. Gastrodon or Swampert shuts zolt down with crash in that slot, not freeze dry. It also doesn't need that much special attack evs, I only use 24 evs+ you're mostly clicking Bolt beak/low kick most of the time (in my experience anyway) so it doesn't take away much.

Hello! That's actually a great question because originally I had icicle crash. The reason I use freeze dry>crash is because it makes the water match up alot easier. Gastrodon or Swampert shuts zolt down with crash in that slot, not freeze dry. It also doesn't need that much special attack evs, I only use 24 evs+ you're mostly clicking Bolt beak/low kick most of the time (in my experience anyway) so it doesn't take away much.
I’ll try that out. I’m not particularly convinced by your EV spread… Against 252+ SpD, 252+ SpA fails to guarantee the OHKO, 0 SpA does 70-80 and 0+ SpA does 75-90. 24 EVs only adds ~1.1%, which doesn’t seem like it hits anything important. But I’m definitely intrigued, and getting a OHKO after chip damage is very useful.

Sirfetch’d UR->D
Sirfetch’d @ Leek/Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird/Defog

This guy helps a lot in Elec mu, which is sadly near impossible for fighting due to the lack of proper spdef/volt absorb options it has. Leek is funny (because 50% chance to crit is quite high but nowhere near consistent), but to secure kills vs Regieleki, you'd need it to be banded. Scrappy is a nice ability to have so that you'll always just click close combat in situations where ghosts are present, and lets your Hawlucha/G.Zapdos run a not dark coverage move and drop sucker punch on Toxicroak for Drain Punch/coverage moves. The EVs presented hit 221 speed, which outspeeds Azumarill, Scizors that want to outspeed Azumarill, Magnezones and some Rotom-Washes.

252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 288-339 (95.6 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raichu-Alola: 570-672 (218.3 - 257.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak also kills this with sucker)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barraskewda: 249-294 (94.6 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Not even Lucha saves you from this monstrosity)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 362-428 (120.2 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 242-286 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Softens Slowbro for Scarf Megahorn Terrakion)

Note that if you use leek, You'll more or less get the same damage as a banded Duck, but 50% chance to crit is pretty...risky.

Considering that Fighting D rankers are screeners, and this duck can do Conkeldurr's niche a bit better, I think this duck deserves to be ranked so that it can present itself as an option to try and have a chance against the better types. Why is fighting so bad...

Last edited:
Personally I don't feel like Sirfetch'd does anything to elec other than forcing Raichu out, and you can't really trade KOs with Elec having Zapdos and Koko. It's even worse if the mentioned Raichu or Regieleki get a kill with Volt Switch so they no longer gotta worry about Duck switching in. Duck can help get more KOs but not really win the game. Also Leek should be the item to use because otherwise you are in a terrible position after clicking First Impression, cause I feel that's something that can pull him back, it needs to be able to fight the wall that just switched into your priority and keep pressure that way.

So... I wouldn't work the post too much around choice band because its rather easy to play around and could do you more harm than good. It would be good to see what else it can do besides clicking First Impression which everyone know it does

Personally I don't feel like Sirfetch'd does anything to elec other than forcing Raichu out, and you can't really trade KOs with Elec having Zapdos and Koko. It's even worse if the mentioned Raichu or Regieleki get a kill with Volt Switch so they no longer gotta worry about Duck switching in. Duck can help get more KOs but not really win the game. Also Leek should be the item to use because otherwise you are in a terrible position after clicking First Impression, cause I feel that's something that can pull him back, it needs to be able to fight the wall that just switched into your priority and keep pressure that way.

So... I wouldn't work the post too much around choice band because its rather easy to play around and could do you more harm than good. It would be good to see what else it can do besides clicking First Impression which everyone know it does
That's true, but the thing is Sirfetch isn't really meant to replace those at S/A/B ranked mons. I brought it up as an alternative for Conkeldurr, which also defogs and has a priority (in Mach punch). Although certainly it isn't the best thing ever, I think it can replace Conk in teams that use Conk for emergency defogs as it gets a better priority (you aren't hurting for more fighting moves anyway) and a slightly better speed tier.

As a side note, Sirfetch'd gets Brave Bird, which kills Physdef Amoongus from full (if Banded/Crit), and it can just spam close combat on steel (though...its steel :/) because of scrappy.

Last edited:
Sirfetch’d UR->D
Sirfetch’d @ Leek/Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Knock Off/Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird/Defog

This guy helps a lot in Elec mu, which is sadly near impossible for fighting due to the lack of proper spdef/volt absorb options it has. Leek is funny (because 50% chance to crit is quite high but nowhere near consistent), but to secure kills vs Regieleki, you'd need it to be banded. Scrappy is a nice ability to have so that you'll always just click close combat in situations where ghosts are present, and lets your Hawlucha/G.Zapdos run a not dark coverage move and drop sucker punch on Toxicroak for Drain Punch/coverage moves. The EVs presented hit 221 speed, which outspeeds Azumarill, Scizors that want to outspeed Azumarill, Magnezones and some Rotom-Washes.

252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 288-339 (95.6 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raichu-Alola: 570-672 (218.3 - 257.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak also kills this with sucker)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barraskewda: 249-294 (94.6 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Not even Lucha saves you from this monstrosity)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 362-428 (120.2 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Toxicroak fails to KO with sucker punch)
252+ Atk Choice Band Sirfetch’d Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 242-286 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Softens Slowbro for Scarf Megahorn Terrakion)

Note that if you use leek, You'll more or less get the same damage as a banded Duck, but 50% chance to crit is pretty...risky.

Considering that Fighting D rankers are screeners, and this duck can do Conkeldurr's niche a bit better, I think this duck deserves to be ranked so that it can present itself as an option to try and have a chance against the better types. Why is fighting so bad...
This is not a convincing argument for ranking Sirfetched. Sure you revenge kill Raichu... but you're never beating electric anyways, so what's the point? First impression vs Psychic looks great until you realize it's not actually clickable at all due to psychic terrain existing.

If I really, really wanted to beat electric, I would be running something like the following:

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake

So this set is pretty simple. Somehow get a free +1 (by setting up in front of wisp rotom-W or something), and laugh as your opponent has no reliable checks to this beast. Most electric players will go specs Zapdos to attempt to kill you with hurricane, only to realize that you have 5+ substitutes and that Hurricane isn't actually a reliable STAB move. When zapdos proves to be blind like always, you get a free shot to get multiple boosts and sweep them. Note that due to running both DD and scale shot, you're likely to get enough speed boosts to outspeed Raichu in terrain :D

Note that this Kommo-o outspeeds and OHKOs everything on electric at +1 except Regi (who doesn't OHKO kommo-o due to electric resistance), Rotom (who is setup bait due to Sub), Raichu in terrain, and Zapdos (who is blind).

Consider this a nomination of kommo-o to D or something, but the real nomination is to remove fighting as a type, it sucks so much -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)