Resource SS Monotype Viability Rankings [Isle of Armor]

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Amoongus (Grass) D->B. Removing tspikes on non-sun variants is very nice along with having a Salazzle switchin (with Assault Vest) , feel like other poison/grass(vile/rose) should drop because this is just the better pick of the two on non-sun. Rotom-Mow, Shiftry and Virizion are all B so this seems like the perfect place
Appletun (Grass) B-> C. Hard to fit on teams, its a nice sponge for Fire-types only but it kinda just sits there a lot of the time. Whimsicott can check sub users like Hydreigon and Kyurem with Infiltrator + Choice Specs which is becoming a little more common with Amoonguss.
Shiftry (Grass) B-> C. Zarude is better in each and every way.
Roserade (Grass) C-> D ->
Vileplume (Grass) D-> UR. Vileplume faces competition with Venusaur, Roserade, and now even Amoonguss now - I see no type of niche or use of this in Grass, therefore unviable. I consider Amoonguss better than both Rose and Vile on sunless.
Drapion (Poison) C-> B. Drapion def should be in equal rank with Skuntank because all: Toxic/Knock Off/Toxic Spikes are amazing utility for Poison to have, the current C ranks are also not comparable with this mon

Last edited:
A solid amount of VR nom's I'd like to drop here, before the next update prior to DLC dropping

Crawdaunt :crawdaunt: C -> B (Dark): Due to the prevalence of Volcarona in this tier and how threatening it is to ESPECIALLY to Dark teams gives more and more reason to run Crawdaunt. Choice Band or Life Orb Aqua Jet is able to OHKO Volcarona from full which prevents it from outright sweeping you when Tyranitar is chipped. Choice Band or Swords Dance Life Orb sets can be very threatening to teams throughout the metagame. SD Daunt is able to potentially 6-0 Poison at +2 for instance. SD is also a great win condition late-game, whereas Choice Band just claims mons upon switch in. Crawdaunt is definitely deserving of being B rank on Dark teams with the other mons in B being Krookodile, Grimmsnarl and Drapion.

Goodra :goodra: C -> B: Assault Vest Goodra has the ability to check a plethora of Special attackers in the tier such as Volcarona and Scarf Charizard with Dragon Pulse which both poses a huge threat to Dragon teams. Fairy-types such as Hatterene and Togekiss with Sludge Bomb. Its able to take Draco Meteors with ease in the mirror matchup as well from Noivern, Dragapult, and Duraludon and OHKO them in return. Other special attackers such as Specs Moonblast Jirachi, Primarina, and even Ribombee. Goodra provides as much value to Dragon teams as Dragalge in my eyes as it is not as passive.

Blissey :blissey: D -> B: Feel as though this was an obvious one, Blissey had a lot of usage in MPL and even in seasonals. The fact that Normal doesn't have the best hazard control coupled with a Blissey being able to hold Heavy-Duty Boots over Eviolite on Chansey alleviates pressure from Braviary to Defog frequently. Blissey still checks/counters the same Special Attackers and is not affected by Rocks/Spikes/Tspikes as Chansey would be and Knock Off isn't as detrimental to it. Straight forward nomination here.

Galarian Weezing :Weezing-Galar: (Fairy) D -> B Being able to get an upper edge in the Fairy mirror, clear away Tspikes, while being a great physical wall vs threats such as Urshifu, Mimikyu, Cloyster and Zeraora, is why Galarian Weezing should be ranked to B. Neutralizing Gas is also an amazing ability to boot, nullifying the opposition's ability, being able to invalidate Azumarills Huge Power or Cloysters Skill Link, or Hatterene's Magic Bounce for instance, is big.

Alolan Marowak :Marowak-Alola: (Ghost) B -> C: With a lower Speed tier than Chandelure causing it to just fold vs Bisharp, and Galarian Corsola being a better Stealth Rock setter and has better bulk take hits easier vs a plethora of physical attackers such as Excadrill is why Alolan Marowak should be dropped back to C on Ghost. In addition, Galarian Corsola has access to recovery where as Alolan Marowak does not. Ghost now tends to run Bulky Offense with Galarian Corsola sometimes being its only defensive pivot (other than potentially SpD Aegislash or Jellicent), therefore Alolan Marowak just does not seem to have that great of a role in the metagame and is not as effective as beating Steel over Chandelure due to low speed and not using boots. All in all Galarian Corsola is your rocker of choice 9 times out of 10, and Chandelure is more threatening vs the matchups it needs to be due to a better speed tier than Alolawak.

Chandelure :Chandelure: (Ghost) C -> B: I still believe this mon is a very solid pick for Ghost teams to deal with Steel teams and as a Calm Mind breaker in general. Being able to Sub up on Ferrothorn most of the time for free, as well as give Ghost a chance vs Sucker Punch on Bisharp with Substitute, and on top of that be unaffected by Stealth Rock and Spikes hazard stack from Steel teams thanks to boots is why Chandelure should be ranked back to what it was last cycle in B. Infiltrator is also not the most needed ability nowadays and Chandelure can sport Flash Fire making it a Charizard counter under the sun (which otherwise claims one vs Ghost every time it comes in bar Jellicent). Chandelure is also able to setup on many passive threats, especially Chansey/Blissey, and boost up as many times to break thru normal teams. Overall this mon outclasses and does more things for Ghost than Alolan Marowak does and it should be reflected.

Zarude :zarude: UR-> B (Grass): I think Zarude is as valuable as the mons in B rank currently on Grass, It can be used sporting a Choice Scarf set having access to Rock Slide for Volcarona and Charizard, and U-turn which is a vital move for choice locked Pokemon in general in addition to Close Combat for Steel-types. It can also run a Bulk Up set in conjunction with Jungle Healing or Synthesis or Sub/Taunt. Zarude also has a great Speed tier and has tons of power. Not much else to say that its a B rank viable mon and that its the general consensus.

Lapras :Lapras: D -> C (Ice): Being able to take Flash Cannons from Duraludon and is something no other Ice-type on the VR can do fo starters. The Steel neutrality Lapras offers backed by solid Special attack with Choice Specs and Freeze Dry gives it a C rank in my eyes. It is also better than both the mons in C currently so matching that at least is some justice.

Barraskewda :Barraskewda: C -> B: Seeing how fast this mon is and how hard it hits under the rain, coupled with the fact that it has amazing coverage to boot and actually have a great Speed Tier outside of rain is why I believe Barraskewda should be B rank on Water. I feel as though it is still a very consistent Rain abuser and with Choice Band Flip Turn wearing down switch-ins allows Barraskeda's teammates to get in for free and threaten worn down foes.

Zarude :Zarude: UR -> C (Dark): Feel as though Zarude can pull of a Choice Scarf set on Dark as well to threaten CM Keldeo in addition to being a solid revenge killer.

Bronzong :Bronzong: D -> C (Steel): In today's meta Bronzong can provide a great defensive backbone with access to Heatproof being able to take Fire attacks from the likes of choice-locked Hydreigon. It can Stealth Rock support, alongside Toxic + Protect to further annoy teams and scout moves to then pivot into other members of the steel defensive core. I believe Bronzong is definitely as valuable if not more valuable to Balance Steel teams than every member in C right now.

Drapion :Drapion: C -> B (Poison): With access to Taunt + Knock Off + Toxic Spikes, and a better speed tier than Skunktank, I feel as though Drapion provides a bit more to the table than Skunktank for Poison teams. The only redeeming quality Skunktank has over Drapion is access to Sucker Punch for Alolan Raichu and Defog, however, Defog can be run on Galarian Weezing, and Toxic Spikes can be put on Drapion. Drapion also puts an immense amount of pressure on Psychic teams with Knock off being very Spammable and with bulk investment, Drapion can take attacks a lot easier.

Kyurem :Kyurem: B -> A (Ice): Whether its Choice Specs or SubRoost, Kyurem is too good of a mon not to run on ice teams. Being able to solo Water teams and pressure Poison and Normal teams speak a lot. It is also better than every mon in B and more valuable to Ice teams than them by a wide margin. Specs Ice beam/Freeze-Dry/Draco lacks solid switch-ins in the entirety of the Monotype metagame aside from Chansey.

Last edited:
Lycanroc midday should be b teir behind lycanroc dusk. I think it could be better than lycanroc dusk. It all comes down to the abillity. Sand rush. It is by far rocks best exca counter.

Lycanroc @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Play Rough

it is good synergy with ttar as with the sand rush it can outspeed +1 ddance dragapult. It can kill a lot of waters.

Lycanroc midday should be b teir behind lycanroc dusk. I think it could be better than lycanroc dusk. It all comes down to the abillity. Sand rush. It is by far rocks best exca counter.

Lycanroc @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Play Rough

it is good synergy with ttar as with the sand rush it can outspeed +1 ddance dragapult. It can kill a lot of waters.
Yeah no. For one thing it's not a counter since it can't switch in and other than that it has other issues like not using aforementioned dusk forme

Yeah no. For one thing it's not a counter since it can't switch in and other than that it has other issues like not using aforementioned dusk forme
While i see the couter part is untrue from me I feel like lycanroc dusk having the same speed with no sand rush is not as good. furthermore rock has 1 problem sand rush exca. if sand rush exca sets up rock looses. except lycanroc midday is a very safe counter

Drapion :Drapion: C -> B (Poison): With access to Taunt + Knock Off + Toxic Spikes, and a better speed tier than Skunktank, I feel as though Drapion provides a bit more to the table than Skunktank for Poison teams. The only redeeming quality Skunktank has over Drapion is access to Sucker Punch for Alolan Raichu and Defog, however, Defog can be run on Galarian Weezing, and Toxic Spikes can be put on Drapion. Drapion also puts an immense amount of pressure on Psychic teams with Knock off being very Spammable and with bulk investment, Drapion can take attacks a lot easier.
I hope my tought could help a little i play a mono poison and i chose drapion over skunktank and i must say i play my drapion as the sole physical pokemon of my team.

here are his build:
Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

i must say he put most passive pokemon at risk, knock off can be spam, his bulk allow his to sett up and althought that he is a bit slow he does monstruous dammage , as a good bulk and with a core of toxapex, Galarian Weezing and Salazzle he is a good complement for adding some physical damage, the biggest sweepers of the poison type beeing all monster in speattack

PS: sry all if my english is not good enough it's not my native language

Lycanrock is the best Excadrill revenge killer in sand for rock teams, but not a counter because can't switch against it.

Agree with bronzong rising, is the only think in steel teams that can switch into Volcarona and other fire moves. Is even on a sample smogon team.Is only good becuase heatran isn't available.

Drapion @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
Drapion @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 190 Atk / 68 Def
Impish Nature

- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

You have the same HP and defense and more attack. The evs can be reworked, however.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
sending my last suggestions before dlc ;w;
B-> C. (Fighting).
C-> B. (Fighting).
People may label this as cteam fairy but Lucario is just checked by Mimikyu; however the same is for Toxicroak but opting for a Water-immunity and something that improves both Poison and Fairy (via Toxicroak) seems way more effective. Hawlucha/Cobalion/Keldeo/Toxicroak OR Conkeldurr/Urshifu/Terrakion is your standard Fighting-type team and Toxicroak should have more merit than other B-ranks. SD, EQ, Gunk Shot, Sucker/Taunt is the moveset.
D-> UR. (Fire). Spikes on paper may be cool but Fire doesn't need it. I find this non-comparable to D-Ranks: Talonflame and Chandelure who serve an ok role on Fire teams. Talonflame having boosting priority to help with Fighting-type Pokemon and opposing priority Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mimikyu and Chandelure having Infiltrator + Specs or Passho Berry if your name is Decem. HDB is also new this generation and the need for excessive hazards aren't really that optimal.
D-> C. (Psychic). This and Mew are good steelbreakers. NP/CM + Fire Move while G-Slowbro also is nice T-Spikes removal. Psychic is a weird typing this generation and its a little odd seeing as it can struggle with Poison-type teams. This would go good with a Celebi variant Psychic imo, Celebi/G-Slowbro/Alakazam/Indeedee/Jirachi/Hatterene while a NP Mew team looks like Mew/Slowbro/Alakazam/Indeedee/Jirachi/Hatterene ; 1TL has used it in MPL but I find this incomparable to other D-ranks, and while other C-ranks like Reuniclus and Orbeetle is above this.
C-> D. (Normal) This is not SM Monotype, Z-Conversion is no longer available thankfully and comparing this to Snorlax, this is nothing in terms of viability. We have mons like Exploud and stuff in D and thats way more suitable than putting this in equal ranking to Lax which is quite viable in my opinion.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
This is the final VR update for DLC 1:
Dark:
UR -> B
A -> B
:morpeko: D -> UR

Electric:
D -> C

Fairy:
:grimmsnarl: A -> B
D -> B
C -> B
B -> C
B -> C

Fighting:
C -> B
B -> C

Fire:
D -> C

Ghost:
B -> C

Grass:
A -> S
A -> B
B -> C
D -> B
UR -> B

Ice:
B -> A

Normal:
S -> C
A -> C
D -> S
C -> D

Poison:
C -> B
C -> B

Psychic:
B -> C
D -> C

Steel:
A -> B
B -> A
D -> C

Water:
A -> S
A -> B
A -> C
B -> C
B -> A
B -> A
C -> A
Dark:
Zarude’s a good offensive Pokemon on Dark teams. However, its ability to cteam Water teams very well is what earns it as a B ranked Pokemon considering having an otherwise borderline impossible matchup against one of the best types in the metagame is undesirable.
Bisharp is still good but it is worse than Tyranitar.
:morpeko: Morpeko doesn’t have any niche anyone on Dark because Zarude gives the type a much more reliable Water cteam.

Electric:
Heliolisk is a nice tech option on Electric that can run Grass Knot to beat Water, is immune to both Mimikyu and Azumarill’s priority against Fairy, and being decent offensively with notable coverage to take advantage of.

Fairy:
:grimmsnarl: Fairy teams have been dropping Grimmsnarl more and more to fit Pokemon such as Galarian Weezing and Primarina.
Galarian Weezing and Primarina have taken a surge of viability and are both good options for Fairy’s last slot alongside the previously mentioned Grimmsnarl. Galarian Weezing has nice utility with Neutralizing Gas as well as being a Toxic Spikes setter and absorbent. Primarina’s setup can prove to be deadly when paired with Klefki’s screens support.
Gardevoir and Ribombee have both fallen out of fashion. Sticky Web Fairy just isn’t great considering Fairy already has Klefki’s screens as support to go off of while Gardevoir is rather one dimensional and very niche if you would like to tech for weather.

Fighting:
Toxicroak has surged with usage on Fighting because of its ability to deal with Fairy along with a Water immunity and Toxic Spikes removal. On the other hand, Lucario has fallen out of fashion compared to other setup sweepers that are easier to fit in teams.

Fire:
It’s better off with what’s ranked at C.

Ghost:
It’s harder to use as a Stealth Rock setter than Galarian Corsola which fits better on teams due to its ability to blanket check threats that would otherwise rip though Ghost.

Grass:
Rillaboom is one of the best Pokemon on Grass at the moment. While it is not as good as Ferrothorn, it is considerably better than what is ranked A.
More Grass teams are being centered around balance, so Venusaur and Shiftry drop a rank.
Assault Vest Amoonguss is a great way to check special attackers as well as absorbing Toxic Spikes on balanced Grass teams.
Zarude’s a cool Choice Scarf user, makes sense to rank it on the same rank as Virizion, another Choice Scarf user with slightly different attributes. While Virizion does get STAB Close Combat and Toxic, Zarude’s U-turn prevents it from being a momentum drain against foes it cannot best by itself.

Ice:
Kyurem is better than the B ranked Pokemon, so it’s now A ranked!

Normal:
Heavy Duty Boots mean Blissey is better than Chansey at filling the role of a Teleport pivot and wall; explaining Blissey taking Chansey’s tank and Chansey dropping as a result.
Porygon2 has become a more niche pick on Normal and many teams drop it to make room and tech for more matchups.
Porygon-Z is extremely niche as a special attacker so it drops another rank.

Poison:
Drapion is a good pick as a Psychic immunity if you aren’t preparing for Electric; its Toxic Spikes and Knock Off are great attributes for breaking down defensive types.
With the rise of Fairy, Choice Scarf Toxtricity is a good option as a revenge killer that can also beat Togekiss behind a Substitute which would threaten Poison teams entirely otherwise.

Psychic:
Other Pokemon have gained popularity while Gardevoir has been falling out of favor.
Toxic Spikes absorbent + setup is good enough of a niche to put it alongside the likes of Pokemon like female Indeedee, Reuniclus, and Starmie.

Steel:
More Steel teams have been dropping Bisharp lately in favor to fit other, more consistent Pokemon such as Excadrill, Jirachi, and Cobalion.
Cobalion is the best Choice Scarf user on Steel and comparable to Jirachi and Excadrill viability wise as offensive Pokemon.
It’s better than Scizor as a Fire neutrality that’s valued. It is still hard to fit though, which is why it isn’t going any higher than C.

Water:
Keldeo, despite not nearly as good as Toxapex, is better than Gastrodon, Slowking, and Primarina, so putting it at S reflects on the viability gap and how dominant balance is at the same time.
Rain teams have been falling out of fashion for more all around consistent balance builds. Pelipper dropping to B, as well as other rain- reliant Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Kingdra reflects on that.
Slowking, Primarina, and Gastrodon are staples on balance teams that have been surging in viability. Slowking and Gastrodon are both great defensively, while Primarina serves as an excellent wincon in many matchups across the board.

We’re going to be starting a new thread and ranking Pokemon from scratch after DLC 2 hits since it will be a completely new metagame. I’m going to be locking this thread and I encourage people to think about ranking in post DLC 2 VR after testing out the metagame when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)