Project SS NU Matchmaking: Week 23 - Sirfetch'd

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
approved by Finchinator & Eternally

1587151610672.png

beautiful art is by Kaiju Bunny

Hello there and welcome to the SS edition of NU Matchmaking!

What exactly is Matchmaking?

Exactly as it sounds. In this case, it's finding a partner for a particular Pokemon. Let's face it, that one Pokemon on a team cannot sweep properly, set up properly, or just do the job it was meant for without another Pokemon to help it out. Its problems need to be dealt with so it can do its job. For example, a sweeper on your team would be lucky to run into a team that it completely obliterates. In most situations though, that's not the case. The sweeper will need a partner to remove those potential problems. That's where brainstorming ideas can come to life in this thread.

Let me explain how the thread works. Each week, I will pick a Pokemon for you to find a good partner for. This will usually start on Sundays. You will have until Wednesday evening to submit these potential partners for the one that needs the love. You are allowed to submit just one possible partner and no more. Once the submission phase is over on Wednesday nights, I will begin the voting phase at that point. This phase will go until Saturday night. All you need to do is vote for the best possible partner. Meaning, vote for 1 of the submissions. At that point, I will award 2 points to top vote-getter and 1 point to the 2nd best vote-getter. Both of these submissions will be archived and the users will be put onto the Top Cupid leaderboard.

The user with the most points at the end of a period of time of my choosing will be crowned the Top Cupid for that session!

How to make a match?

All you guys and gals need to is simply nominate one Pokemon that would fit with the one that I post. A set for your submission isn't needed, but a good explanation of how and why it works with the bachelor Pokemon is needed.

I will say right now that only Pokemon that are listed on the Viability Rankings will be considered and allowed. If an unranked/unviable Pokemon is submitted, I will have to ignore it and subsequently delete it. Reservations are allowed in this thread. You will have up to 24 hours to revise the reservation post into your actual submission.

I'm just going to reiterate the stuff above so it sticks
1) Pick 1 Pokemon and 1 Pokemon only that you believe pairs well with the bachelor in question. If I see someone posting more than 1 or a "this or this" thing going, I will have the mods delete it.

2) The Pokemon you submit must be listed in the Viability Rankings. If it is not, it will be ignored and not considered in the voting process.

3) Reservations are allowed. Once your reservation is made, you will have up to 24 hours to revise the post into your submission. I will be keeping track of times so please be responsible here. If your reservation is deemed unfulfilled, I will allow others to use it.

4) Have fun! This thread is going to be just that, so let's do it.

This week's mon that needs some love

None right now​

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Week 1

Clefairy by MonkeySniper,
Abomasnow by Corthius,
Silvally-Fire by Oathkeepre

Week 2

Silvally-Dark by Datsplashtho,
Rotom-Frost by Rav3ndan

Week 3

Toxicroak by lucario1582,
Clefairy by Rav3ndan,
Sawk by Corthius

Week 4

Silvally-Water by lucario1582,
Togedemaru by Expulso,
Rotom-Frost by Corthius

Week 5

Silvally-Dark by MonkeySniper,
Alcremie by Corthius

Week 6

Toxicroak icon
Toxicroak by Corthius,
School Form
Wishiwashi by Expulso

Week 7

Female
Indeedee-F by MonkeySniper,
Silvally icon
Silvally-Dark by Katy,
Garbodor icon
Garbodor by Oathkeepre

Week 8

Silvally icon
Silvally-Fire by Oathkeepre,
Rapidash icon
Rapidash by Corthius,
Silvally icon
Silvally-Water by Katy

Week 9

Golurk icon
Golurk by Ho3nConfirm3d,
Silvally icon
Silvally-Steel by Corthius,
Garbodor icon
Garbodor by StarBlim,
Rapidash icon
Rapidash by Oathkeepre

Week 10

School Form
Wishiwashi by MassiveDestruction,
Tangela icon
Tangela by xerovis,
Eldegoss icon
Eldegoss by Katy

Week 11

Thwackey icon
Thwackey by Corthius,
Silvally icon
Silvally-Dragon by Oathkeepre,
Vanilluxe icon
Vanilluxe by Katy,
Ribombee icon
Ribombee by Pokeslice

Week 12

Vanilluxe icon
Vanilluxe by Oathkeepre,
Ninjask icon
Ninjask by Corthius

Week 13
:ss/pangoro:
Dragalge by Corthius,
Arcanine by your____bro

Week 14
:ss/drapion:
Cresselia by Oathkeepre,
Mow Rotom
Rotom-Mow by Corthius

Week 15
:ss/vileplume:
:pangoro:Pangoro by xerovis, :guzzlord:Guzzlord by Katy

Week 16
:ss/starmie:
:dragalge:Dragalge by xerovis, :rotom-mow:Rotom-Mow by Elias PSY

Week 17
:ss/mienshao:
:articuno-galar:Articuno-G by Zangoose5000, :copperajah:Copperajah by Oathkeepre, :drapion:Drapion by Lukee

Week 18
:ss/salazzle:
:cresselia:Cresselia by Socrates1O1, :decidueye:Decidueye by Katy

Week 19
:ss/tyrantrum:
:xatu:Xatu by Pokeslice, :starmie:Starmie by Lucario, :blastoise:Blastoise by Oathkeepre

Week 20
:ss/rotom-mow:
:talonflame:Talonflame by Pokeslice, :starmie:Starmie by Oathkeepre

Week 21
:ss/copperajah:

:sylveon:Sylveon by Corthius, :vaporeon:Vaporeon by Katy

Week 22
:ss/vaporeon:
:celebi:Celebi by Katy, :palossand:Palossand by Pokeslice, :mudsdale:Mudsdale by Corthius, :goodra:Goodra by Oathkeepre

Week 23
:ss/sirfetch
:xatu:Xatu by GW, :dragalge:Dragalge by Corthius

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

Week 1
Alright folks, let's kick this project off with our first mon that needs some love with................

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Glare

Sandaconda is just a nice mon overall. It has Glare to help out with speed control, it's a viable rocker for a meta that just lost the arguably best one in Rhydon, and has good coverage to hit Flying types with Stone Edge! However, it does have flaws. What those are and how you guys cover them is up to you! Happy pairing =)

Last edited:
:ss/Drampa: :ss/Sandaconda:

Just look at those matching nostrils.

Sandaconda as a rocker is very reliable but is threatened out by special water and grass moves. These open up big opportunities for Drampa with sap sipper and its water resistance, so it can come in freely to check and threaten with its supermassive Draco meteor. Sanda's defensive checks are also usually physically bulky but not specially bulky so this can turn the momentum in your favour. In return Sanda can soft check physical fighting or dragon moves with its solid defense. In addition these guys have a rare team synergy in that they both bring the coveted glare to the team, meaning having both of them gives lots of opportunities to speed control the opponent for other slower teammates.

The main downside to this pairing is that they both have an ice weakness, however Drampa is pretty bulky on the special side and may be able to take a hit and KO whatever is trying to ice the pair. None the less, if throwing these guys on a team together, an Ice resist will be mandatory.

Last edited:
Reserving Clefairy

clefairy.gif

Special attackers prove to be a problem for Sandaconda, due to its subpar special bulk and weaknesses to Ice, Water, and Grass-type moves. Clefairy remedies this by absorbing special attacks like they're nothing, which Sandaconda can appreciate a great deal. Of particular note is Abomasnow, whose Choice Specs set is feared due to its destructive Blizzards. While the set provided for Sandaconda outruns Modest Abomasnow, it's still incredibly helpful to have a backup if Coil hasn't been used yet.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Clefairy: 147-174 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

Clefairy eats those Blizzards (and most other special attacks, for that matter) for breakfast, as this calc shows.

sandaconda.gif.m.1578614926.gif

Sandaconda takes on physical attackers seeking to exploit Clefairy's weaker defensive stat. Earthquake does a great deal of damage to Garbodor and Klinklang, both of whom Clefairy doesn't like very much. In addition, Glare support gives Clefairy more potential opportunity to pass Wishes or heal itself with Softboiled.

Last edited:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:ss/Abomasnow:

Abomasnow is a good partner for Sandaconda. It can take on the Grass- and Water-types that can come in on Sandaconda and threaten them with powerful STABs. Furthermore, Sandaconda's Glare works really well with Choice Specs-Abomasnow, because Abomasnow on its own is not that fast, so paralyzing the opposing Pokémon really helps Abomasnow with breaking the enemy. In return, Sandaconda is a great soft check to many of Abomasnows weaknesses; e.g. Fire-types like Flareon and Silvally-Fire, Fighting-types like Hitmontop and Toxicroak, Rock-type attacks and Steel-types like Togedemaru and Klinklang which all threaten Abomasnow and could come in on its STABs. I also find it very useful that Abomasnow doesn't have an Ice-weakness so you're not as threatened by that.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:ss/Sawk: :ss/Sandaconda:

These two fighters balance eachother out.
Sandaconda has Earthquake that eliminates general Mons that Sawk can't defeat if it doesn't have Earthquake. Stone Edge helps with the Flying types that suppress Sawk such as Ninjask, Rotom-Fan, and Unfeazant. Glare also ensures that Sawk will hardly ever lose a speed battle.

Sawk is a strong Fighting type with a STAB Close Combat that can take out the predators of Sandaconda such as Rotom-Fridge, Arctovish, and Piloswine. Poison Jab can deal a lot to the Grass types that Sandaconda doesn't like such as Eldegoss and Roselia.

250px-Jeremiah_Skuntank.png

Skuntank is a good partner for Sandaconda for the fact that I can come in on a wide variety of defoggers and rapid spinners in the tier to either ko them or set up with nasty plot. It also comes in on the very powerful wallbreaker indeedee which comes in for free on rocks and can threaten an 2hko on sandaconda. While Skuntank does nothing to remedy the water and ice weakness that Sandaconda has it does put alot of offensive pressure on the opponents to switch into something that can deal with Skuntank

GW

I may be warrior
is a Tiering Contributor
1586480049722.png
1586480072403.png

This core should be pretty self explanatory. Arctovish struggle against mons that are faster than it such as obamasnow and toxicroak, while sandaconda can slow both of those down with glare and can even run enough speed for obama to either knock it out or put it in range of fishious rends. Sandaconda can also make the opponent more hesitant to click fishious rend, making it even more helpful. Also, you can lure in grass types that would normally make pfishious rend spam a bit more difficult by glaring them immediately.

Oathkeeper

Silvally-Fire

I know it's not used all that much, but it's quietly good in my opinion. Since Sandaconda will want to use EQ for its attacking, there are a select few mons that can avoid it, namely Rotom-Fan and Frost, as well as mons that can laugh at it like Abomasnow, Eldegoss, Dubwool, and Appletun among others. Firevally can deal with all of these mons with little risk since while Stone Edge is a nice coverage move on Sandaconda, it can miss and end up hurting it. It can even absorb burns from the likes of the Rotoms.

Potential matches
User
Pokemon
Link to submission
Sawk
Vandit
GW
Silvally-Fire

The voting process is simple folks, vote for 2 potential partners for the Pokemon in question. I believe this goes without saying but, you CANNOT vote for your own submission.

I pick Abomasnow & Clefairy

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

Winners

:heart:
:heart:
User
Pokemon (click on image to go to submission post)
(6 votes)
(4 votes)
(4 votes)

This was an excellent start to the SS NU Matchmaking thread guys and girls. Sandaconda is one of the better mons going for us right now and needs some good partners and these will work!

Clefairy - 6
Abomasnow - 4
Silvally-Fire - 4
Arctovish - 3
Drampa - 2
Skuntank - 2
Sawk - 1

I'll be updating the Archives and Table of Contents in the OP shortly!

Week 2
The next mon that needs some love is............

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet / Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Stomping Tantrum
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

After Cofagrigus, Garb is easily the best Fighting check in the meta. Easily able to come in on stuff like Toxicroak and set up Spikes or Toxic Spikes and wear down its teammates checks. So, what do you guys think pairs well with this literal trash? Have fun!!!!

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:ss/dubwool:
Dubwool @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press
- Payback
- Substitute

Even with Payback, Dubwool can't really make progress against Ghost-types like Gourgeist-S and Cofagrigus. With Toxic Spikes support and Substitute, however, it can stall them out with poison damage. Dubwool also appreciates Garbodor handling Fighting-types like Toxicroak and Sawk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)