Project SS NU Team Building Competition (Quagsire)

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus

1594263845404.png

(art by Fusion Flare )​

Welcome the Pokemon Sword and Shield NU Team Building Competition! This competition encourages players and builders to create a team around a Pokemon that of my choosing (or by the suggestion of others). The premise of the competition is that players have five days to build and submit their teams. If other users have suggestions for other users' teams, don't be afraid to give them in this thread! Just remember to not be a dick essentially, and give constructive criticism. After the five days are up, users will have 2 days to vote for the best team. The winner of the best-voted team will be submitted into the Hall of Fame! I hope you all have fun reading this competition, and if you want to, you must follow these simple rules!:
  1. Don't be an idiot
  2. Don't copy teams
  3. Follow the format
  4. You can work with other people if you like, however, you must provide credit to all the builders that worked on the team (bonus points if you colour code who did what)
  5. In voting, please don't ask for other people to vote for you, and only vote for one team (other than your own if you participated)
If you follow these rules, success will follow! Here's a visual example of the aforementioned format:

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 48 SpD / 212 Spe
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Granbull @ Normalium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 8 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Samurott @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

Specs Guzzlord acts as the generic wallbreaker, whilst providing a great check to slowbro and other grass/water/fire types like houndoom, slowking or rotom mow. Cryogonal serves the purpose of spinning whilst giving a more reliable check to grass types with recovery, and a badly needed ice resist, for the likes of Vanilluxe. Rhydon was added as an answer to Sub Bulk Up Braviary adn Stealth rock support. This construct still had severe problems with sneasel and other fighting types, which is why Granbull was added. SD Samurott can serve as a good late game cleaner or as a solid mid game breaker. Scarf Delphox was added to patch up speed control issues and potential Barbaracle weakness.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Round #1: Scrafty

Scrafty is without a doubt one of the most influential Pokemon in the current meta. This makes it the perfect candidate for the first ever round of the team building competition for Sword and Shield!
Deadline for submissions is (3 / 20 / 20)
Have fun :toast:!​

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:ss/Scrafty: :ss/Haunter: :ss/Piloswine: :ss/Eldegoss: :ss/Togedemaru: :ss/Garbodor:
Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Haunter @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Toxic

Eldegoss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin
- Pollen Puff

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Stomping Tantrum
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

I wanted to use Dragon Dance Scrafty because of the insane snowballing potential it has thanks to Moxie. I did Zen Headbutt last because of all the Poison-types people like to throw at Scrafty as a means of checking it, but Close Combat and Iron Head would work here fine too. Haunter was next because it pressures all the physically defensive Pokemon that can try to take a hit from Scrafty, and there's some decent offensive synergy between the two. Piloswine is really just here as the Stealth Rock setter because I hadn't used it yet; I did Toxic instead of Ice Shard because pressuring Cofagrigus is really nice. Eldegoss is probably the best entry hazard remover for balance/bulky offense builds, and the set is just standard, boring Eldegoss stuff. Togedemaru fit well as the Choice Scarf user; it gives the team a Flying-type check and can get Haunter in against Pokemon it threatens fairly easily. I rounded the team out with Garbodor because it's a great Pokemon overall, gives the team a sturdy Fighting-resistant Pokemon, and provides Spikes/Toxic Spikes, so that's cool.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
(Ground)

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt

Drednaw @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Liquidation
- Bulldoze

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Iron Defense
- Shadow Ball
- Body Press

Abomasnow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zing Zap
- U-turn
- Nuzzle

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

This is the HO team that I peaked top ladder (1659) with earlier today with. Scrafty is likely most devastating with its DD set, although I do enjoy its Bulk Up special def sets on bulkier teams. It has a ton of sweeping potential, and even when sweeping is out of the picture, it can still dent its checks thanks to Knock Off and CC. Zen Headbutt allows it to nail Poison-type walls like Garbordor and Quilfish that tend to try and switch into it, and Lum Berry lets it setup in the face of Cofagrigus and Sandaconda without the fear of status. Shed Skin is less reliable in these cases, and Moxie is what pushes Scrafty's sweeping potential over the edge anyways.

As for support, I address the viability of lead Drednaw in a post here, and it works fine for setting up Stealth Rock for Scrafty to chip Sturdy Sawk and Rotom-S. Cofagrigus is a great physical wall for dealing with Fighting-types, and has a threatening Iron Defense and Trick Room combo for both setting up and some speed control. Abomasnow is a needed special wallbreaker, and is great for eliminating physical walls like Eldegoss, Shiinotic, Clefairy, and Garbordor that Scrafty either has trouble breaking on its own or has to take tough tradeoffs with otherwise. As for speed control, you can never go wrong with NU's #1 Choice Scarf user Togedemaru. It offers the team a much needed Ice-, Dragon-, Fairy-, and Flying-type resistances, and the last two are notable as attackers like Choice Scarf Haunter and Rotom-S tend to try and revenge kill Scrafty. This lets Togedemaru be a great switch in and pivot against these when anticipating a Dazzling Gleam or Air Slash, respectively. Lastly, Silvaly-Ground offers a way to check Toxicroak while providing a good speed tier and offensive coverage. It's great for baiting in traditional Ground-resistant Pokemon like Eldegoss and Appleton only for it to U-Turn out into Abomasnow for the KO.

:ss/Scrafty: :ss/Garbodor: :ss/Eldegoss: :ss/Rhydon: :ss/Togedemaru: :ss/Haunter:

Scraft Dinner (Scrafty) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Wastemanagement (Garbodor) @ Black Sludge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Stomping Tantrum
- Gunk Shot
- Pain Split

Deku Spore (Eldegoss) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Metalchu (Togedemaru) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Nuzzle

Dr. Phil (Rhydon) @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Heat Crash

Connecticut (Haunter) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond

I opted for BU Scrafty on this team, and furthermore for intimidate instead of moxie to provide Scrafty more opportunities to switch in and set up, in addition to allowing freedom to ditch his boosts and come in again later which feels bad with moxie sets. LO gives Scrafty some extra power before any boosts and works well with drain punch to heal off damage. Iron head took the swappable slot for killing croak and clefairy, however poison jab could be used due to the rising prevalence of opposing eldegoss. EV spread is set up to allow scrafty to survive a couple strong special attacks and retaliate:

252 SpA Choice Specs Haunter Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Scrafty: 138-163 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Scrafty: 270-320 (80.8 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228+ Atk Life Orb Scrafty Drain Punch vs. 196 HP / 60 Def Drampa: 283-338 (81.7 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Garbodor forms a good core with Scrafty against incoming fairy moves or fighting moves in addition to being the spikes setter for the team, while Scrafty can eat psychic attacks for garb and set up. I opted for a more offensive variant of garbodor as Gunk Shot can hit surprisingly hard. This spread runs 200 HP for bulk and 56 speed to outspeed invested base 50's and jolly don.

Scarf Togedemaru provides the team with a much needed high-speed pivot, and also benefits the team an excellent defensive typing. Iron Barbs was opted for to rack up damage on resisted hits. Dual Stabs and U-Turn are standard, and Nuzzle provides good utility.

Rhydon is the rocker of choice, but worked in as also a slightly more offensive set with Max +Attack , but also full SpDef investment to allow eviolite to bring up SpDef to a respectable 283. With an already healthy amount of uninvested HP this gives Rhydon 352/414/283 bulk which allows him to eat a variety of attacks while remaining threatening after rocks are set. EdgeQuake's already good coverage is complemented by Heat Crash for grasses.

Eldegoss is an easy switch in to enemy Sandaconda and Rhydon, functions as the team's spinner, and also can reliably render an enemy helpless via Sleep Powder. Leech Seed is opted for in the last slot to allow a softer switch in for team mates when goss goes back out to regenerate. It also enjoys the defensive answers provided by its teammates like Rhydon and Togedemaru, while eating ground moves with ease for Toge/Garb.

Haunter is the final choice for the team as it required a fast and powerful mon, answer to enemy scrafties (through packing Dazzling Gleam) and also needed a special attacker to help dispose of Cofagrigus. Life Orb was opted for over Choice Specs/Scarf as the freedom to swap moves will be very important for Haunter on this team. Since choice is not being used, Trick was exchanged for Destiny Bond, which can allow haunter to net an extra kill in a situation where its power would fall short.

Last edited:

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Dazzling Gleam

Scrafty @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Dragon Dance
- Bulk Up

Abomasnow @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Leaf Storm
- Aurora Veil
- Worry Seed

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Stomping Tantrum
- Explosion

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Crunch
- U-turn
- Explosion
I built this team around DD Scrafty. The goal of this team is to punch holes with explosion, then clean up with Moxie scrafty. I decided to go full offense and forego hazard removal. Haunter is life orb w/ destiny bond which allows it to bypass Toxicroak's Sucker Punch. Life Orb gives you a better chance at OHKO'ing Cofagrigus without locking into a move. On Scrafty I decided to use Bulk Up instead of Zen Headbutt because I found myself rarely using Zen Headbutt and Bulk Up has been useful for living a CC from Sawk. I figured one of the best ways to support a Scrafty sweep is to use Aurora Veil, so that is Abomasnow's role. Worry Seed is to prevent Malamar from sweeping. Rhydon provides rocks and a flying resist. I chose offensive Rhydon because I like the immediate pressure with this team. Garbodor is offensive w/ Rocky Helmet because I like breaking Sawk's Sturdy while maintaining offensive pressure. Stacking hazards can really help a Scrafty sweep, or even a Scarf Silvally sweep. Scarf Silvally was chosen because I like the ghost immunity and explosion is really powerful, also a feel like a fast U-Turn really rounds out the offensive nature of this team.

I hope you enjoy the team! :)

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Amnesia
- Knock Off
- Rest

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Roost
- Defog

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Spikes

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Multi-Attack
- Explosion
- Psychic Fangs

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Haunter @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Disable
The team was built around Dual Setup Scrafty (Bulk Up/Amnesia). The set really comes off as gimmicky compared to the more reliable DD set but it has some merit. It walls and sweeps just as well. Knock Off in itself is just a great move that Scrafty can spam and gives huge support for your teammates. The speed investment is for max 30s and creep for Lanturn/Sandaconda you can adjust as you like. I partnered it with Togetic and Qwilfish as reliable fighting type answers to help Scrafty. Togetic checks opposing Scrafty and provides defog support. You can swap out Psychic for Flamethrower if you would like but I found psychic more useful for poisons (Garbo/Croak) switching in on Togetic. Qwilfish is pretty niche. I liked it more over garbo because it provides a water check as well. TWave for speed control and Spikes for support. Silvally-Normal as a late game cleaner/scarfer. Can explode on something it doesn't like. I haven't seen my self using it much I feel like it's needed for speed. Piloswine is the rocker. Pretty standard. Handy for priority and amazing offensive coverage. SubDisable Haunter really rounds the team together as a ghost type that annoys most teams. Helps weaken opposing mons and provide great support as well. Overall a fine balance team that gives a different take on the powerhouse that is Scrafty.

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm voting for each of them since they all look good and dangerous Ho3nConfirm3d's I guess :blobthumbsup:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Ahh, I hate it when you guys make me tiebreak. We have a tie of five votes between Ho3nConfirm3d and Rabia!

This was a pretty hard choice for me; I've actually been using both teams throughout this week because I like them both a lot. Despite that, one team stood out more than the other in one aspect: creativity. Of course, everyone can vote based on their own criteria, but for me, creativity is one of the most important ones. The team that I found to be a little more creative was Ho3nConfirm3d's team. It's not every day you see Silvally-Ground!

Sorry Rabia :( (you guys can't even use these teams anymore anyway omegalul)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)