Project SS NU Teambuilding Lab v2.0 (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:ss/cursola: :ss/abomasnow: :ss/golurk: :ss/silvally-dragon: :ss/skuntank: :ss/lilligant:
(Click on sprites for importable) Hey, Corthius! Per your request, I've made a Hyper Offense team featuring Rock Polish Golurk.

:cursola: First and foremost, Cursola is the team's dedicated lead, setting Stealth Rock for the team and deterring opposing hazard setters. You'll generally want to lead with Cursola in most games, unless you suspect that your opponent will try to anti-lead you with something like Dual Wingbeat Ninjask.
:abomasnow: Abomasnow supports the team's wallbreakers via Aurora Veil. With it in play, all 4 of them have more breathing room to set up. Abomasnow will usually come out immediately after Cursola to keep up the offensive tempo.
:golurk: The star of the show, and the mon your request centered around! In contrast to the other set up sweepers, Golurk aims to leverage its already-great offense and boost its speed to become a real threat. A Colbur Berry is used to stop strong Dark-type attacks like Sawk's Knock Off from fainting Golurk before it can set up. Running a Jolly nature is an option to outrun scarf Sawk, Toxicroak, and the occasional Rotom appliances after a Rock Polish, though this comes with a notable loss in power.
:silvally-dragon: Silvally-Dragon provides some much-needed defensive utility to the team, eating an assortment of common attacks like Basculin's Hydro Pump under Aurora Veil.
:skuntank:Skuntank is one of the team's 2 special sweepers, and it brings with it the nifty ability to remove Toxic Spikes. I opted for a bulkier spread made by Ho3nConfirm3d (shoutout to him!) to take attacks a little better while still outrunning slower mons. Of course, max speed is still a perfectly fine option if a little more offensive presence is desired.
:lilligant:Last but most certainly not least, Lilligant is still just as deadly a sweeper as it was in ORAS, even with the loss of Hidden Power. Nature Power is an option over Pollen Puff for better neutral coverage at the cost of making it harder to deal with opposing Grass-types.

From my testing with the team, Ninjask can be dealt with just fine, either via taking it out directly with something like Silvally-Dragon or revenge killing it with Abomasnow's Ice Shard. Ironically enough, opposing Ice-types are actually the biggest thorn in this team's side, as it lacks an Ice resist. Opposing Abomasnow can at least be pressured by Skuntank and/or be knocked out before they can fire off a Blizzard, but Rotom-Frost is a much tougher nut to crack. Getting up Stealth Rocks and keeping them up is vital in this matchup. That said, sorry for the wait, and I hope you enjoy the finished product!
Wow this is even more than I asked for! Thanks a lot!!

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
Hi there! I'm normally not the best with competitive in general, but this thread lowkey intrigued me, so I figured I'd give it a shot anyhow c:

If possible, could I request a Quiver Dance Butterfree Hyper Offense-based team?
Butterfree is honestly one of my favorite bug-types overall and Quiver Dance is also a fav setup move for me; it's pretty fun if you're able to get a good amount of boosts up and essentially go ham afterward. Not real picky with teammates at all though having Alcremie in there would be pretty dope since it's another fav of mine. Thank you so much for considering! :heart:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hi there! I'm normally not the best with competitive in general, but this thread lowkey intrigued me, so I figured I'd give it a shot anyhow c:

If possible, could I request a Quiver Dance Butterfree Hyper Offense-based team?
Butterfree is honestly one of my favorite bug-types overall and Quiver Dance is also a fav setup move for me; it's pretty fun if you're able to get a good amount of boosts up and essentially go ham afterward. Not real picky with teammates at all though having Alcremie in there would be pretty dope since it's another fav of mine. Thank you so much for considering! :heart:
Hey buddy, since building a team with Alcremie and Butterfree was nearly impossible in an HO-type build I made 2 teams. One composed of Butterfree HO and another one with Alcremie and Butterfree in a bulky offensive type team. I hope that isn't an issue for you.

:Butterfree: :Silvally-Dragon: :Abomasnow: :Klinklang: :Skuntank: :Cursola:

This first team is inspired in the current HO structure ho3n has made for the last couple of months now. The team started out with your request in QD Butterfree. Since the team structure requested was HO I picked the best lead NU has atm and that was Cursola, this mon is guaranteed to get rocks up in pretty much every game while also claiming a pokemon or 2. Endure is used to tank physical hits from silvallies that try to Flame Charge and outspeed you the following turn. Hydro Pump was chosen as the coverage move since it does great damage to Stunfisk-G, a mon that Butterfree really wants weakened. Abomasnow was picked due to it providing Aurora-Veil to let Butterfree and the other set up sweepers set up. Its running the typical physical set, which lets it weaken Clefairy and other special sponges that might provide a nuisance for Butterfree. Skuntank provides a nice breaker that can weaken Stunfisk-Galar while also checking ghost types like Decidueye, Gourgeist Small and Cofagrigus. Finally, you can't have an HO team without a silvally so Silvally-Dragon was picked. Its great typing covers up the glaring weakness to Fire-type and Water-type pokemon while also having a great offensive typing.

:Butterfree: :Alcremie: :Wishiwashi: :Stunfisk-Galar: :Togedemaru: :Toxicroak:

The second team was built around QD Butterfree and offensive Alcremie. I opted to use this offensive spread to be able to severly weaken Stunfisk-Galar and other steel type pokemon that are always annoying for QD Butterfree. Heavy-Duty Boots was chosen over Leftovers do to how weak the team is to hazard stacking and especially Golurk under webs so being able to avoid any previous chip and the speed drop is huge. Stunfisk-Galar provides Stealth rocks support and a solid electric check (although its not the best at doing this). Rest-Talk Wishiwashi is the designated Fire Resist and the switch into common rockers like miltank, sandaconda and stunfisk-g. Scarf Togedemaru provides speed control and finally AoA toxicroak provides another soft check to water types and a decent breaker for Butterfree.

Hope this was what you asked for! And I hope you enjoy the teams!

Ps: click the sprites for the teams.

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
Hey buddy, since building a team with Alcremie and Butterfree was nearly impossible in an HO-type build I made 2 teams. One composed of Butterfree HO and another one with Alcremie and Butterfree in a bulky offensive type team. I hope that isn't an issue for you.

:Butterfree: :Silvally-Dragon: :Abomasnow: :Klinklang: :Skuntank: :Cursola:

This first team is inspired in the current HO structure ho3n has made for the last couple of months now. The team started out with your request in QD Butterfree. Since the team structure requested was HO I picked the best lead NU has atm and that was Cursola, this mon is guaranteed to get rocks up in pretty much every game while also claiming a pokemon or 2. Endure is used to tank physical hits from silvallies that try to Flame Charge and outspeed you the following turn. Hydro Pump was chosen as the coverage move since it does great damage to Stunfisk-G, a mon that Butterfree really wants weakened. Abomasnow was picked due to it providing Aurora-Veil to let Butterfree and the other set up sweepers set up. Its running the typical physical set, which lets it weaken Clefairy and other special sponges that might provide a nuisance for Butterfree. Skuntank provides a nice breaker that can weaken Stunfisk-Galar while also checking ghost types like Decidueye, Gourgeist Small and Cofagrigus. Finally, you can't have an HO team without a silvally so Silvally-Dragon was picked. Its great typing covers up the glaring weakness to Fire-type and Water-type pokemon while also having a great offensive typing.

:Butterfree: :Alcremie: :Wishiwashi: :Stunfisk-Galar: :Togedemaru: :Toxicroak:

The second team was built around QD Butterfree and offensive Alcremie. I opted to use this offensive spread to be able to severly weaken Stunfisk-Galar and other steel type pokemon that are always annoying for QD Butterfree. Heavy-Duty Boots was chosen over Leftovers do to how weak the team is to hazard stacking and especially Golurk under webs so being able to avoid any previous chip and the speed drop is huge. Stunfisk-Galar provides Stealth rocks support and a solid electric check (although its not the best at doing this). Rest-Talk Wishiwashi is the designated Fire Resist and the switch into common rockers like miltank, sandaconda and stunfisk-g. Scarf Togedemaru provides speed control and finally AoA toxicroak provides another soft check to water types and a decent breaker for Butterfree.

Hope this was what you asked for! And I hope you enjoy the teams!

Ps: click the sprites for the teams.
I literally could not be more happy and excited about this!! I can't thank you enough! :D

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'd like a stall/semistall with Ditto as it recently dropped and I think it looks interesting. I would try building it myself but I'm new to NU and seeing as this is open I thought that getting more experienced people to build it would make it a more successful team. I'd like for the team to have two hazard removers and some type of entry hazard, although this could be leading ditto and copying their rocker if it proves necessary.

I would like to request a BO around offensive Orbeetle. Although the Sticky Web set is much better, its decent speed tier, access to Stored Power with Stab and very good bulk make me interested in trying it.
Thank you all!

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi, I'd like a stall/semistall with Ditto as it recently dropped and I think it looks interesting. I would try building it myself but I'm new to NU and seeing as this is open I thought that getting more experienced people to build it would make it a more successful team. I'd like for the team to have two hazard removers and some type of entry hazard, although this could be leading ditto and copying their rocker if it proves necessary.
hey dude, here's what i ended up settling with: https://pokepast.es/b55ec98e165d9aaa

so a few notes before i break down the team:
I don't think stall is a reliable playstyle in NU, as is. There are so many threats that are problematic for stall that are good in the meta like croak, skuntank, and decidueye that are extremely difficult to cover purely from a defensive standpoint. furthermore, ditto honestly does very little in terms of alleviating those issues just due to the inherent nature of these threats. croak and skunk resist their own stabs and dont use supereffective coverage for themselves, and decidueye and croak can present an issue with specs alone, and copying them with your own scarfed version of these mons dont really do much to prevent them from doing what they want to do. other set up sweepers like silvally can present an issue as well bc ditto's multi attack is always normal, and special work up variants rely on coverage to break so being locked into +1 coverage move doesnt threaten the rest of the opposing team enough to dissuade setup. as such, trying to get ditto to work on stall in this tier feels more like a 5 mon stall team w ditto just riding in the passengers seat. i will be providing some additional options you can replace ditto with if you feel as such, as i ended up using some weird sets to try to cover for the biggest threats to stall.

:ditto: so the good things about ditto- it allows the team to set up spikes vs spikestack. it gives the team some means of keeping sd low kick decidueye in line. it lets u scout opponents sets. thats about it.

:cofagrigus: super good mon on any team, and stall is no exception. resttalk w boots is fantastic in general and gives cof good sustainability. im running psychic > body press w sp def investment bc fuck specs croak, basically. thing is a nightmare for stall. super good blanket check for half the tier, not much else to say other than a more dedicated croak check and phys def w body press is probably more optimal.

:miltank: also feels like a kinda mandatory pick for stall atm, it keeps the ghosts and grasses in line. boots is definitely an option for teams running decidueye + spikes bc goss will not be able to get the hazards off until decid is gone. another good blanket check for a lot of the tier. ideally this would be sp def w timid nature to outpace timid decid but with cof and quag heavily invested in sp def running phys def is kinda needed to help keep kangaskhan in line.

:eldegoss: spin + cleric + water resist. specs basc can still be a pain bc ice beam 2hkos, but as long as u dont play this recklessly in that mu you should be fine. i like protect a lot here bc it lets you scout what move specs croak and decid lock themselves into, as making one wrong prediction vs those two can mean miltank or cof get damaged beyond repair. also can be useful to rack up tox damage on some things.

:quagsire: insert unaware mon. im much more invested in sp def bc skuntank can present an issue otherwise. the evs + protect should help insure skunk isnt able to just flinch you down. obviously the chance is still there, but your opp will need 2 or possibly 3 in a row instead of just one. tect is also nice for scouting specs decid, and w the evs, it makes magneton easier to deal with and you can possibly take on a toxic'd rotom-frost at full, if necessary. you can maybe run curse here as well to make the malamar matchup easier but its not a particularly good mon rn and as such i feel less need to prep for it specifically. if you end up going phys def on cof its completely unnecessary imo

:togedemaru: ice resist was crucial for the last since abomasnow and rotom-frost kinda just run through the team otherwise, and this does the best job available.

so not the double removal that u wanted, but i frankly dont see a way to incorporate that into this structure without opening yourself up to some massive threats. so with that said, here are some other mons to consider (all of them could take the place of ditto).

:silvally-poison: (poison) removes tspikes, switches into croak (which frees cof up a bit), and defogs away hazards. multi/defog/uturn/filler with spdef and enough speed for timid croak is your best bet imo.

:persian-alola: gives you a dark resist and another ghost resist. good check to silvallys and physical mons in general. can help make progress by spreading knock and tox around.

:clefairy: thievul 6-0s so that helps with this i guess. also helps w specs aboma and decid. probably not the best option here but its there. using this basically makes this pif stall tho

:pyukumuku: can be put over quag or ditto. double unaware cores have seen some use on the ladder and gotten high up. i would advise a sp def set since that can potentially help w croak and basically makes basculin a nonissue. it also prevents np croak from being a massive issue, and it can potentially pp stall skuntank as well. it also makes special silvallys and the occasional sd grass pledge silvally much easier to deal with (although this is nowhere near as common to see compared to a few months ago)

:weezing: w neutralizing gas u can soak up tspikes and set them up yourself. w levitate u add another golurk check. w psybeam you add another croak check as well. lotta good utility options here.

:mareanie: possibly helps with croak if u have haze and knock. soaks up tspikes. i havent used this mon tho so can't really add much here.

ive found this to be mostly consistent on the ladder, got top 10 while using it. hard to say how well itll do in tours tho where players actually know how to make progress vs stall. it has issues with thievul, as mentioned, and lurantis also kinda just wins if its resttalk. croak and skunk can present problems in the right circumstances despite everything but thats just kinda the state of stall in nu. gl with the team!

Hello everyone I am trying to build a Hyper Offensive Team in NU and I need your help because I am new to this meta and I don't have a real sense of direction at this moment.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there everyone. With the much anticipated big shift coming on Sep.1, this is going to bring a bunch of unknown variables into the meta including council unbanning all of NUBL. We as the TB Lab want to experiment with the new drops and consider whatever may rise to a higher tier as well. So PKQ, we do see your request and yours will be the first in line once we reopen the lab, but for now,

THE NU TEAMBUILDING LAB IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED

until the meta "stablizes" per se.​

Hey there everyone. With the much anticipated big shift coming on Sep.1, this is going to bring a bunch of unknown variables into the meta including council unbanning all of NUBL. We as the TB Lab want to experiment with the new drops and consider whatever may rise to a higher tier as well. So PKQ, we do see your request and yours will be the first in line once we reopen the lab, but for now,

THE NU TEAMBUILDING LAB IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED

until the meta "stablizes" per se.​
Ok thank you

Oathkeeper

is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
QUICK UPDATE

Once the next voting slate has concluded, I will reopen the lab to new requests. I will reiterate from the post above that PKQ's request will be the first one looked at/worked on and then we'll accept any others after that. Almost there guys!!!​

I have a question.
Since Viability Ranking isn't out yet, we are only allowed to request teams based around the Mons in the Viability List that didn't drop to PU, right?

Hi I was wondering if you can build a NU team around steelix. Me and some friends are doing a tourney. I want to have a team with gen7 and below. Ty

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I have a question.
Since Viability Ranking isn't out yet, we are only allowed to request teams based around the Mons in the Viability List that didn't drop to PU, right?
VR ranking is out now :o
Hi I was wondering if you can build a NU team around steelix. Me and some friends are doing a tourney. I want to have a team with gen7 and below. Ty
Sorry, we only make gen 8 nu teams and steelix isnt NU this gen D:

However you can check this thread for gen 7 nu https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-nu-sample-teams-v2-0.3641525/#post-7902453 There are a bunch of Steelix teams here!

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new to NU, but it looks p fun. I'd like to request some sort of team with Duraladon and / or Orbeetle. If not both, then preferably Dura. Thanks in advance!

Oathkeeper

Hey guys, a few things to mention here.

1) PKQ, we are terribly sorry for taking this long with your team. We really are. This meta is changing so much and it just took a big ol' needle of steroids per se with the Crown Tundra mons in addition to standard shifts and it won't get any better with the next 2 shifts happening within 30 days. I wouldn't blame you if you redacted your request at this point :blobsad:

2) Because of the issue mentioned in #1, I am once again closing the lab until this mess we call the NU metagame really calms down to the point where we on the Teambuilding Lab can actually focus on what's hot and what's not without bullets flying at us from all directions.

3) Sickist, see #1

Be patient guys, we will be re-opening this Lab up once the metas calms WAY down and we can actually study it and build some teams for you guys!

Until then, we are temporarily CLOSED

Hey guys, a few things to mention here.

1) PKQ, we are terribly sorry for taking this long with your team. We really are. This meta is changing so much and it just took a big ol' needle of steroids per se with the Crown Tundra mons in addition to standard shifts and it won't get any better with the next 2 shifts happening within 30 days. I wouldn't blame you if you redacted your request at this point :blobsad:

2) Because of the issue mentioned in #1, I am once again closing the lab until this mess we call the NU metagame really calms down to the point where we on the Teambuilding Lab can actually focus on what's hot and what's not without bullets flying at us from all directions.

3) Sickist, see #1

Be patient guys, we will be re-opening this Lab up once the metas calms WAY down and we can actually study it and build some teams for you guys!

Until then, we are temporarily CLOSED
Its ok as long as I am still first when everything calms down

Oathkeeper

Alright folks, with the meta getting to a point where it's not overwhelming, I have decided to reopen this teambuilding lab and let the building resume!!!!!!!

WE ARE OFFICIALLY OPEN AGAIN!

PKQ, you have been waiting for the longest time now and you may now submit your new request to be worked on first.

Everyone else, your requests shall follow!​

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I'd love a team based around a super fun pick I'm too lazy to build around in SF LO Druddigon. With boosted moves like Gunk, T Punch, and Fire Punch, it can catch effectively every wall off guard.

Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Thunder Punch
- Glare/Aqua Tail/Sucker Punch/Earthquake

I originally had Aqua Tail for Rhyp, but as that's now gone, I think Glare would be a great last slot or Sucker/EQ for Glowbro. Up to the builder and thanks in advanced! I like more offensive balance squads or VoltTurn teams, whatever works best :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)