Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia
- Body Press
- Rest

Registeel is a legitimate threat with insane mixed bulk that can act as a late game wincon as a crit-me-not sweeper. Some builds just instantly drop to it too (Sand in particular). It benefits greatly from screens allowing you to Amnesia / Iron Defense more comfortably. Koko builds are annoying because you can't rest. Clear Body blocks intimidate which is nice. It also blocks random stat drops from stuff like Shadow Ball. It's blanked by Pex and ghosts but I think it's really quite easy to build with and I honestly prefer it as a slow setup sweeper compared to reuniclus just for the better typing and bulk. +2 Body Press OHKOs Heatran, who can only do about 50% back with its SpD set to +0 SpD Registeel.

Replays -
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1570340097-s1zd4dtwlnabrrvn2jrpbu11g3kzg7gpw (registeel sets up on zapdos)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1570460598-7swxfrmrgmx15umu3xvxu4fkv2lvf6zpw (registeel uses glowking as fodder)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1570322151-akaah2lbn6qogwjxygt3p8pjv5z8mv3pw (this has to be the most damage I've ever seen a tank take without dying. 3 v-creates, a life orb bolt beak, and an electric terrain boosted regeleki rising voltage)

Can I ask why Zarude is still ranked at all? Idt it even fits super specialized teams like many of the others C-/C mons. No real defensive utility outside of switching on pex (you still have to jungle heal, lose your item or get tspiked on in most cases). It pressures bulky teams except it doesn't really unless they somehow let it get +2. Buzzwole and Scarf urshifu's existence doesn't help either, neither does Clef rising again.
water resist that doesnt care about status/scald burn because of jungle heal, naturally sturdy ghost resist in a tier lacking them, can set up in front of any spdef ferro, darkest lariat good insurance against demon mew, and has a nice speed tier getting past chomp. Only set worth anything is two attack/bulk up/jungle heal, but its a good set alongside reliable u-turn resist.

I use it a good bit, definitely better on paper than in a lot of games but deserves to be ranked for sure.

water resist that doesnt care about status/scald burn because of jungle heal, naturally sturdy ghost resist in a tier lacking them, can set up in front of any spdef ferro, darkest lariat good insurance against demon mew, and has a nice speed tier getting past chomp. Only set worth anything is two attack/bulk up/jungle heal, but its a good set alongside reliable u-turn resist.

I use it a good bit, definitely better on paper than in a lot of games but deserves to be ranked for sure.
- It doesn't switch into any of the ghosts unless you already know they are using shadow ball,
- Yeah I mentioned the Pex part, but it doesn't like Finis Moonblast, Urshifus CC, Volcanions Flame nor even Slowbros Body Press, but I'll give you Slowking for sure
- PhysDef Ferrothorn is the standard and has been since Kyurem got banned: https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-04/moveset/gen8ou-1695.txt
- Demon Mew has half the usage it had 5 months ago. Stored Power from December to April in 1695: 32.395% -> 17.417%. And even back then people wouldn't take "beating demon mew" as an important trade, it was just smth nice to do.
- Speed stat is alr but not great. The standard set in OU is leftis/hdb which just gets revenged by pretty much everything.

P.S. I am not saying is completely useless is not, but I would like to know if there's any aditional stuff. Maybe in practice it's actually really good against waters and ghosts and I am just being too obtuse. If you have any replays where it actually does smth other than getting pressured, then feel free to link me up

Last edited:

agslash23

Banned deucer.
Great VR updates. Loved that HO staples like Garchomp, A-Tales and FuturePort users rose up, while stuff like Ferro and Pex fell.

My question here is even though HO seems to have improved in SS OU, why didn't G-Moltres rise? It is an HO staple that checks Dragapult, which is a tough MU for HO

- It doesn't switch into any of the ghosts unless you already know they are using shadow ball,
- Yeah I mentioned the Pex part, but it doesn't like Finis Moonblast, Urshifus CC, Volcanions Flame nor even Slowbros Body Press, but I'll give you Slowking for sure
- PhysDef Ferrothorn is the standard and has been since Kyurem got banned: https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-04/moveset/gen8ou-1695.txt
- Demon Mew has half the usage it had 5 months ago. Stored Power from December to April in 1695: 32.395% -> 17.417%. And even back then people wouldn't take "beating demon mew" as an important trade, it was just smth nice to do.
- Speed stat is alr but not great. The standard set in OU is leftis/hdb which just gets revenged by pretty much everything.

P.S. I am not saying is completely useless is not, but I would like to know if there's any aditional stuff. Maybe in practice it's actually really good against waters and ghosts and I am just being too obtuse. If you have any replays where it actually does smth other than getting pressured, then feel free to link me up
-that goes for pretty much every ghost resist thats viable in OU; the blobs dont like getting tricked, ttar doesn't like u-turn, etc. More of a scout around and pivot to it or make a read than like hard counter. Regardless, switching into choice locked shadow ball has value.
-as switch in no unless you know theyre choice locked, but outspeeds and threatens all of them
-thats fair, but even so body press is only run on 47% of ferro's at 1695+ so still able to set up in front of it half the time
-that mew set was definitely a fad, just dark stab that ignores ID/CP just has some utility
-getting past chomp+all the base 90-97s with 105/105/95 bulk is more than alright i think.

don't have any replays on hand at the moment unfortunately. I don't think it has any secret value you're missing and definitely only fits on specific teams, but can set up in front of some stuff you wouldn't expect, has valuable resistances with the right team support, and there's not many other things that can fill its specific niche. Definitely deserves to be ranked at the very least, B- feels fair to me but I can understand not wanting to build with or use it because have to play so carefully with it.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
:aegislash:

Aegislash is really good right now. It’s the best of the 4, and I saved the best for last. I’ve been running a mixed set with only 100 SpeedEVs , HP investment, and max SpA. It pulls in a lot of work because shadow ball can 2hko a long list of OU threats, and it conveniently brings a lot of Pokémon into shadow sneak range. You can stack it with a sand setter forhitting a lot of chip benchmarks.

- shadow ball
- kings shield
- shadow sheak
- close combat

it also checks Lele very nicely and can act as a revenger for blacephalon/dragapult that have beenhurt a lot. It makes a great offensive switch in to Pokémon’s like the aforementioned lele, as well as Buzzwole, Fini, and some choiced Pokémon.
yeah I can see aegislash being discovered as being pretty damn good in OU, dude still can alternate between sky-high defenses and sky-high offenses, which is insane. dragapult still hurts its viability, but it can still operate pretty damn effectively as both a tank and an offensive powerhouse.

-that goes for pretty much every ghost resist thats viable in OU; the blobs dont like getting tricked, ttar doesn't like u-turn, etc. More of a scout around and pivot to it or make a read than like hard counter. Regardless, switching into choice locked shadow ball has value.
-as switch in no unless you know theyre choice locked, but outspeeds and threatens all of them
-thats fair, but even so body press is only run on 47% of ferro's at 1695+ so still able to set up in front of it half the time
-that mew set was definitely a fad, just dark stab that ignores ID/CP just has some utility
-getting past chomp+all the base 90-97s with 105/105/95 bulk is more than alright i think.

don't have any replays on hand at the moment unfortunately. I don't think it has any secret value you're missing and definitely only fits on specific teams, but can set up in front of some stuff you wouldn't expect, has valuable resistances with the right team support, and there's not many other things that can fill its specific niche. Definitely deserves to be ranked at the very least, B- feels fair to me but I can understand not wanting to build with or use it because have to play so carefully with it.
Yeah exactly that's what I mean about the ghosts, is not like it's doing smth particularly special that other mons can't. In fact it hates uturn even more cause is x4 weak instead of x2. At least ttar can come in on blace almost always and force it out.

I mean those are "okayish qualities"but if they are your main qualities then damn o_O

• Love
Reactions: Oqo
Cress has uses outside of TR and AloWak is more of a staple on these teams than P2 is. I think Hatterene straddles the line between C and C-, but at that point it’s a crapshoot in my book.
As someone who is pretty well versed in playing TR I dunno where this is coming from. P2 is absolutely undroppable on full tr because without it you get 6-0ed by sball. If anything it’s easier to drop cress or hatt for a different psychic tr setter like uxie for access to rocks, taunt, and memento without completely compromising ur ghost mu. The only tr team it’s not present on is semi-tr, but that doesn’t run alolawak either. So to say alolawak is more of a staple of the play style than p2 isn’t really based on anything, considering both are present on every full tr team.

As someone who is pretty well versed in playing TR I dunno where this is coming from. P2 is absolutely undroppable on full tr because without it you get 6-0ed by sball. If anything it’s easier to drop cress or hatt for a different psychic tr setter like uxie for access to rocks, taunt, and memento without completely compromising ur ghost mu. The only tr team it’s not present on is semi-tr, but that doesn’t run alolawak either. So to say alolawak is more of a staple of the play style than p2 isn’t really based on anything, considering both are present on every full tr team.
Yeah I've experimented a bit with TR and the weakness to dark types and Ghosts can be notable. Bisharp, Weavile, Blacephalon and Pult tend to be massive threats and I find that Porygon-2 in general is a nice blanket check option due to good mixed bulk and the shadow ball immunity. it also has the added benefit of being able to switch into Flash Fire Heatran and trace the ability to be immune to magma storm, and the ability to then set up trick room thanks to magic coat reflecting taunt, as heatran is pretty threatening to the archetype as well. it also provides much needed momentum for TR with teleport.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3656259/post-8983757
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-room-ft-stakataka-1900.3701206/#post-9207844
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/simple-questions-simple-answers-thread.3656259/post-8850302

These are the only three successful TR teams I've managed to come across and they all run Porygon-2.

But I'm very curious to see what structures have been successful without Porygon-2 and can't wait to hear Finchinator's response.

But I think Hatterene and Cresselia are undroppable too as hatterne has Healing Wish and also a guaranteed way to keep hazards off the field in the early game with the abilitty to pressure some annoying steel types and darks with Mystical fire, and with Cresslia with the right ev spread checking a lot of TR threats and being a good anti-lead thanks to ice beam hitting the common SR setter, and of course Lunar Dance which gives you the longetivity necessary to run LO on your tR breakers, which is neccessary since most TR mons can't afford to run choice items due to too short TR turns (only exceptions being things like specs torkoal).

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The only TR team I’ve seen on ladder in the last week or two has had CB Tar and no Porygon2. There is also the Snorlax meme TR team I used to see. Not denying P2 being good on TR, but I don’t think it’s a 100% necessity.

Meanwhile Cresselia is very good on TR itself, but also has the Lunar Dance niche, Trick Scarf sets, and so on ranging across numerous exploits and archetypes. It actually used to be even more common than it is now, but it’s definitely above what I see currently in C-.

I don’t have much to say on Alolan-Marowak. Maybe you’re right. I haven’t used it in ages and I seldom face it, so I don’t think it my opinion should be prioritized on it.

The only TR team I’ve seen on ladder in the last week or two has had CB Tar and no Porygon2. There is also the Snorlax meme TR team I used to see. Not denying P2 being good on TR, but I don’t think it’s a 100% necessity.

Meanwhile Cresselia is very good on TR itself, but also has the Lunar Dance niche, Trick Scarf sets, and so on ranging across numerous exploits and archetypes. It actually used to be even more common than it is now, but it’s definitely above what I see currently in C-.

I don’t have much to say on Alolan-Marowak. Maybe you’re right. I haven’t used it in ages and I seldom face it, so I don’t think it my opinion should be prioritized on it.
I can see how cb ttar fits as a dark/ghost resist but then what was that team running as its third setter if not porygon 2 ?

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
YO so im finally nomming my main man Cobalion.

As a steel fighting type with justified and a wonky stat distribution, cobalion is SUPER interesting and very versatile. It can run specs, scarf, defensive helmet, rocks, whatever you want it to be, and excel. Not to mentionm it's natural typing lets it flat out SHIT on the ladder favourite weavile, with impunity.

Here's the set I run taken from my RMT here : https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ck-your-bitch-omari-p-offense-top-15.3702118/

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
EVs: 216 HP / 176 Atk / 68 Def / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Megahorn

Because of it's stat dist, I live almost all relevant se hits and oko or do massive damage back. Scarf kart aint doing a damn thing to me and neither are the iron defensing corvinights /skarmories. Megahorn allows me to kill slowbro and swords dance gets me to acceptable levels. Ur natually really fucking fast as well so you outspeed a lot of mons just by existing. If you wanna run volt switch fucking GO For it. Typing and ability alone let it be an anti ladder pick for many people and it defiitely deserves the nom for B-. It's easily fit on your teams and it's such a beast -- Yours truly, Omari P

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1572835593
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1572603937
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1571890380
you betas need to stop using scarf kart
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1572431869-v0lns0euqktsi2axqck54sqplqfcbompw
cobalion sweeping

Last edited:
Edit: Decided to repost my noms cause not only do I have more but now it is a better time to post them.

C0548019-92D7-41D4-A8F3-5CAD0A3691C6.png

A+ > S-
I’m starting off with a spicy take, why? Cause this mon is top 5 material for similar reasons to Tran and Lando. It provides a lot of role compression while being difficult to switch into and being incredibly splashable. Nothing in this tier besides Gastro is comfortably switching into the combination of Knock/T-Wave/Moonblast. Not to mention Trick Barb. Inflicting para, knocking items, or setting up hazards will always force progress. Thunder Wave in particular makes its teammates even more difficult to check as they can lose due to being para’d. Plus it has enough bulk to live a strong hit from stuff like Lele and cripple it with paralysis. When on Lando/Tran/Torn cores, it can make the core more puzzling as they try to figure out what set they are running. Lando/Clef makes playing around Chomp easier while Tran/Clef makes dealing with Weav easier. Both of which continue to be major threats in game and in the builder. All of this while being a status/knock sponge. This was without mentioning CM which can be mixed up with Thunder/Knock/T-Wave/Trick, making it even more anonymous. Or Unaware on stall which shuts down most of the veil teams that have popped up in wcop. With all of this in mind, I believe Clef is on pair with Weav/Tran as a metagame staple for its insane utility/support.

97CF366F-7EAD-4C95-896E-66202CADCC92.png

S- > S
Imo Weavile is the face of SS OU and the vr should properly represent it. The fact that teams can pack multiple checks to it and still get swept is telling that Weav is broken something special. The metagame has gotten more aggresive which results in more passive defensive staples like Pex and Corv to drop. Which is perfect since Pex is its best check. Band Beat Up legit has no switch-ins and Boots is the best cleaner in the tier. What sells it as S tier imo is that it fills the role of speed control, breaker, cleaner, and emergency Pult check while also being immune to Psychic, making FS easier to play around.

2E13CE5B-CEE7-4A03-BE64-85DC89871F7D.png

A > A-
Ok now the positivity stops. Volcarona is still a great wincon, but atm it feels too mu reliant for A rank. It has positives like veil being excellent, Trans dropping Flash Fire, and Buzzwole being more commonplace. What brings it down for me is stall teams seeing more frequent play, Ttar rising, and Lando/Chomp continuing to be good soft-checks to it.

581BE57D-5187-4FBA-BA73-DCB9EC3C24A1.png

A- > B+
Another hot take, I think the Gzap hype died down. It is still great on hazard stack teams, but it is worth mentioning that one of the best defoggers Torn can outspeed and kill it. Zapdos, Slowbro and Koko’s presence doesn’t help matters. Clef is running more physD as a response to Weav and Chomp. B+ would be more fitting as it fits in with the strong but flawed mons like Ttar and Golt.

E9C27086-B1ED-4FEB-846A-6AA2C4C5EB6B.png

B+ > A-
On the contrary, Nido’s successful run in wcop is no coincidence. It still remains incredibly difficult to dance around. Serving as both a breaker and a check to CM Clef and Koko is highly valuable. Its checks Slowking and Gastrodon are just a bit of chip away from becoming a memory. The result of breakers like Lele, Volcanion, and Nidoking itself has resulted in more Gen 8 teams prioritizing offensive momentum to limit their switch in opportunities rather than covering everything at once. Nido definitely deserves to be next to Volcanion, especially due to being harder to wall than Volc.

D3681006-AFEA-452E-B665-F8EC217F46C9.png

B > B-
Lucha is in a bad spot rn. It already dropped but it is not on Aegi or Bish’s level. Way too much Koko, Zapdos, PhysD Clef, Slowbro and other checks. Requires more support and is more of a hit or miss sweeper than some of the other options. Stall ruins it. Offensive archetypes can either limit its switch-ins or even outpace it.

5DFEA1DD-BB75-446B-89F6-D3628B423F96.png

B > B-
Hydrei has a lot of issues in practice than on paper. Its biggest problem is its 4mss. Not having Flash Cannon means Clef walls you for days. Not having EP makes you an awkward Tran check. Not having Roost makes you a liability vs Volcanion/Blacephalon (even with roost it is forced to click that in order to not be in 2HKO range). Using Draco for Buzz over Dpulse means you got nothing for Ferro. I don’t think it is worth using over other breakers despite the promising qualities it has like the speed tier and defensive typing. I believe its ranking should reflect that.

35987294-DB20-4280-8BE8-54B893147149.png

B > B-
If Bulu dropped, then Rilla should follow suit. Most of the things said about it have been repeated constantly so I will keep it short. Too much birbs and too much Buzzwole. Very vulnerable to Flame Body, Static, and RH. SD sets need Acrobatics for Buzz which leaves them open to its other checks. Outclassed by Kart, and mu fishy.

DBB144E4-5446-45E5-86C6-A6192C961209.png

B > B-/C+
What is this doing above Blaziken and Steela? If it weren’t for HO and Weavile, this mon would’ve been UR’d or at best C-. As it stands, outdone by alot of steels including Corv who is also a defensive steel with roost/u-turn. Also a shit Lele check.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Scizor in Psychic Terrain: 138-163 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

When it is not in 2HKO range, it is momentum fodder since it is forced to Roost constantly in practice which contradicts using it to begin with. Also loses to Arctozolt and SD Kart. For double steel cores I would much rather run Melm, Ferro, Corv, or even Aegi. Only reason its not getting the UR treatment is cause it has a great mu with Weav and in veil its a decent cleaner.

612FA722-27E0-47F1-A6AD-F15418F2A351.png

C+ > C
Has been in a particularly rough spot since Lando started running SpD. Sand has made a comeback, but modern sand teams rarely incorporate two sand rushers, Drill tends to claim that spot for Spin, ground immunity, and being a Koko/Clef check. Zolt struggles to find safe switches, and when it does it ends up being too prediction reliant.

D8DDEFFC-82B6-477A-92D7-9F8635F63595.png

C+ > UR
As much as I love using this beast, this is the first gen where Mamo feels like a liability. I see no reason to use this over Weavile. Band sets are too prediction reliant and LO gets worn down quickly. Sash lead could work but suicide leads are not in high demand atm and Chomp, Mew provide much more. Its ground typing isn’t even that useful. OHKOd by Zera and 2HKOd by Koko after rocks. Its checks are all over the place between Slowbro, Washtom, Corv, and Buzzwole, the latter being a full on counter to it. Relies too much on Icicle Crash flinch hax and FS to break past its checks which at this point you just use Weav. Give Mamo Swords Dance in Gen 9.

EECD60AB-3453-4422-A5B6-C2ACF07B2124.png

C+ > B-
Refer to my post on the discussion forms for more details

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-3539.3672210/post-9217077

For a TL;DR version, AV Tang should be explored as it provides both Knock and a midground for menacing threats like Lele, Koko, Zera, and Pult. It can also potentially lure, trap and kill Glowking with Infestation + EQ which I forgot to mention but it opens up Koko, CM Clef, and Zapdos.

D466FB25-6268-42D1-A365-B14865EB50AD.png

C > C-
Niche is way too fringe for C (even though the ranking doesn’t make a big difference). The irony of it being used to check Lando and Weav is that it loses its boots or gets Toxic’d by the former. Only fits on very specific stall builds like Shed stall. It along with the other fringe stall mon Xatu should be ranked together.

338D0AEC-2464-4A99-9EBC-EF86BEA8842E.png

C > UR
Fast water resists are more common, the power level of SS makes Azu not worth it. Belly Drum sets are hit or miss (mostly miss), and CB sets are outdone by Daunt and Urshifu. Azu’s dmg output has become less impressive than it was in Gen 6.

3EF72F06-A5C4-4B84-9796-A2AC3F68DD22.png

C > UR
Expect more UR noms. Conk has way too many problems. Easily worn down by burn and hazards, has no defensive utility, and it needs all the defog and slow pivots in the world to bring it in only to get walled by Buzzwole. Pretty much has the same problem as the dragon-type who’s name shall not be spoken of. Stall mu has gotten worse since they are bringing protect spam and Torn which can live a hit and threaten an OHKO. RH spam is more frequent and it gets itself killed by wearing itself down to a tee. Honestly I would rather use Herra or Bewear before I even touch this thing.

176D7AD4-3F28-4072-8D50-15282E7D9404.png

C > UR
Suffers the same problems as Mamo and Conk. There is not a reason to use this over Weavile. Being unapologetically slow while having no defensive utility. If it predicts wrong it will lose a shitton of momentum unlike Nidoking who outspeeds most of the defensive meta. Like at least Mamo can outspeed Lando and Buzz. The meta has gotten too fast and offensive for it to find meaningful use. If you are a fan of this mon and want it to stay in the VR, reply or forever hold your peace.

5713CBA7-54E8-4B04-92FC-1891F2062CEE.png

C > UR
A Moltres that has been Knock’d is just as dead as a Shedinja in sand. Outclassed by Volcanion, Tran, and Zapdos. Can’t run it as your sole Kart check like you can with Zap/Torn. Barely sees use. The only argument I could think of is that it has Flame Body + longevity with Roost, but at this point wouldn’t you just resort to Volcarona over one of the Pollos Hermanos.

20233348-7CB0-4329-A75C-29A3833FBCCE.png
D3E726DE-D976-439D-B6D3-E7A5542F1FD8.png

C > C+
Finally, a positive nom. Veil is getting good usage and double dance Latias is utterly cracked. Utility sets with Defog and T-Wave and Scarf Healing Wish on HO should also be experimented more. Latios is a Lele with higher speed and more defensive utility + Roost. LO with EQ is difficult to switch into for most Bo teams. The 110 base speed tier also means Kart, Blace, and Chomp get wiped. Usual checks to Dragapult (Lando, Tran, and Clef) get blown up by the raw power of its STABs and coverage coming off of its base 130 spa. Both mons can switch into Volcanion, Tran, and Washtom. Its not good, but it is def not on the same level as Zarude and friends, speaking of the devil.

6FA4A9C3-C199-4067-ABD8-1E02D82779EF.png
C > C+
Actually kinda nice on certain builds, mostly offensive ones. Can OHKO Lando and Buzz after a SD which is huge for cleaners like Zera or Weav. Appreciates the more faster paced, BO centric metagame Gen 8 has become. Crushes alot of the Lando/Tran/Torn cores that run the place. Exploits Knock Off spam, and can work on veil. 2HKOs most of stall and doesn’t fear Zapdos/Torn like Gzap/Urshifu. It lacks defensive utility, but threatens a large chunk of the meta and outspeeds the likes of Lele, Urshifu, Blace, and Chomp. Give it a shot.

8579A028-CF79-4D0A-877C-A0F1AD36FC31.png

C > UR
It already dropped but drop it further. Meta has gotten more, it doesn’t have a place in veil over Kart or Rilla, is littered with a billion weaknesses, and with Torn being run on stall more often, it can’t perform its niche effectively.

FA41BB5E-55B5-4381-B60A-ABDE8174FEC3.png
9153E990-AED2-44D1-B125-F1D81DD71600.png

C- > C
After months of bashing TR, I can safely say that it is…usable, or at least better than it was before. The reason is due to current meta trends. HO, Veil, and Rain have seen higher usage and success in both ladder and tours. Plus Stall is picking up some steam. Trick Room has an excellent mu against these archetypes. The overwhelming dmg output of the abusers + Hatt is too much for Stall to handle. The breakneck pace of offensive styles gets their momentum shifted by TR, even Veil can’t shield them from getting OHKOd. Its bad vs every other archetype, but when it comes to dealing with cheese/mu fish, TR is a decent countermeasure.

028C938C-2C30-4B70-A665-8AA692619001.png

C- > UR
If Ribombee left, then so should Shuckle. Webs are worse than ever. Veil, Rain, and Zone Offense have been proven styles. Shuckle just sets up webs and then its well-earned hazards get removed moments later. Most teams don’t care about webs. Between boots and birbs, webs has been in its lowest point.

C731A9CC-C250-4A22-BC49-08B0ACC0963D.png

C- > UR
The Zapdos, Koko, Torn check that gets 3HKOd by them. The meta demands more defensive utility or speed on their breakers which Tox lacks in practice. Even when it does come in it has to play a massive predictions game vs Lando and Steel cores. Worst case scenario they have a Ferrothorn that takes a hit without issue. It is way too easy to lose momentum with Tox. Zapdos doesn’t have this issue and can mow past Ferro like eating a cracker, all while providing Static and longevity via Roost.

EE7CFC2A-194C-4BA1-AD77-936FA2E64817.png
0C4C5E5A-429E-4562-B2FB-4CF966233AD2.png

Also I agree with these noms, though Coba going from UR to B- is way too big of a jump for something that almost never sees use/success in tours. For reference, Cloyster went from UR to B because it has shown to be a successful mon on Veil/HO in WCOP qualifiers. C-/C tier is a good start for it, being a fringe steel that checks Weav/Melm/Cloy/Bish/Kart p well. Not sure what team structures it could fit in over other steels but I could see it being viable.

Last edited:
Agree with the Nidoking rise
Nidoking right now is in a great position for people wanting a breaker and the rise of Clefable, especially sets with Phys Def investment. Having Nidoking come in and either ko it with Sludge Wave or get a Sub on Clef for free is terrific for its ability to hit other mons that it couldnt get a hit in due to its mediocre speed but now can get one in.
Gonna try out the Mixed Sucker Punch variant to get a suprise hit on Blacephalon and ko it outright.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
User was warned for insulting other members
I just think it's really funny and truly hilarious that for years yall have called nidoking bad when I used it and even when I brought up it's value that ur bringing up yall ignored or shitted on it. dont think I forgot, literally just look back at some of the posts in this very thread or last gen and see. It even checks the same shit as last gen as the game as not changed that much at all. I’m brining this up to show people how disingenuous people on this site are and how much mobthink runs their minds, so dont be afraid if you get pusback on a mon that work for you. most of these losers do not know what the fuck they are talking about at all and will just say anything, and like primitive apes will lash out on u when presented with ideas that mess with their thinking paradigm. I’m certainly glad nidoking has risen for damn sure as yall probably know, but I just think it's funny what yall are saying about it now, even tho the game has not changed, at all. Reminds me of a lot of mons and sets I brought up over the years.. super interesting. Anyway nom away people, dont let these brokeboys mess with ur confidence

edit: LMAOOOOOO

Last edited:
I just think it's really funny and truly hilarious that for years yall have called nidoking bad when I used it and even when I brought up it's value that ur bringing up yall ignored or shitted on it. dont think I forgot, literally just look back at some of the posts in this very thread or last gen and see. It even checks the same shit as last gen as the game as not changed that much at all. I’m brining this up to show people how disingenuous people on this site are and how much mobthink runs their minds, so dont be afraid if you get pusback on a mon that work for you. most of these losers do not know what the fuck they are talking about at all and will just say anything, and like primitive apes will lash out on u when presented with ideas that mess with their thinking paradigm. I’m certainly glad nidoking has risen for damn sure as yall probably know, but I just think it's funny what yall are saying about it now, even tho the game has not changed, at all. Reminds me of a lot of mons and sets I brought up over the years.. super interesting. Anyway nom away people, dont let these brokeboys mess with ur confidence
I think a small part of it too though is that nidoking's main checks slowking , though it's now on the up again , and blissey had lost prominence opening up nidoking to drop niche options like superpower and thunderbolt to use its ideal moveset in dual stab ice beam and flamethrower.

It's blanked by Pex and ghosts
I guess it's worth mentioning that Registeel has 120 turns of PP and thus can PP stall pretty much all Toxapex (and Unaware Clefable!) and Ghosts. Dragapult can't kill it with the DD set and Specs needs to crit with Fire Blast to break through Amnesia. You also beat Blacephalon after an Amnesia as long as it already Tricked its Scarf and doesn't crit.

So while those are unfavorable matchups it isn't completely dead against any of them. Registeel is a really cool Pokemon!

I guess it's worth mentioning that Registeel has 120 turns of PP and thus can PP stall pretty much all Toxapex (and Unaware Clefable!) and Ghosts. Dragapult can't kill it with the DD set and Specs needs to crit with Fire Blast to break through Amnesia. You also beat Blacephalon after an Amnesia as long as it already Tricked its Scarf and doesn't crit.

So while those are unfavorable matchups it isn't completely dead against any of them. Registeel is a really cool Pokemon!
I think a thing to remember is that Registeel does not burn pp when he’s asleep, so realistically Registeel can pp stall multiple mons in one game if it really wants to

I think a thing to remember is that Registeel does not burn pp when he’s asleep, so realistically Registeel can pp stall multiple mons in one game if it really wants to
Yeah I counted each Rest PP as 3 turns. 120 PP is a lot, enough to PP stall 2 of most OU Pokemon, assuming Body Press doesn't do the job. Toxapex in particular carries a lot of PP but even so Rest Registeel can out-last it.

Last edited:

Colin

formerly BeardedDrakon
is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
thought I'd want to mention this, but pex can outlast it considering that it can use most of its time switching and therefore not using pp while registeel needs to setup curses and amnesias, which are free hazes provided you don't let it setup too many curses. in general any team with phasing/haze can position themselves around it, and certain threats such as banded urshifu + pivoting do quite well against it should the game not go too long. most teams have dangerous enough threats to crit fish or toxapex, resulting in very few matchups registeel wins for free.

in general any team with phasing/haze can position themselves around it, and certain threats such as banded urshifu + pivoting do quite well against it should the game not go too long. most teams have dangerous enough threats to crit fish or toxapex, resulting in very few matchups registeel wins for free.
but phasing and haze is not the most common thing in OU... pex is the sole hazer and urshifu-r has to be pretty healthy since registeel beats it 1v1 at +2 regardless

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel on a critical hit: 171-201 (46.9 - 55.2%) -- approx. 5.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Def Registeel Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 212-250 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Considring urshifu-r takes a ton of chip from helmet usually it wouldnt be hard to put into range.

Crit fishing is constantly trying to get 1/24 chances which is not the most likely scenario considering 23/24 times ur not getting it. Considering its also fat enough to live 1 crit most of the time. It can also setup on most mons in SS OU such as slowbro, corviknight, clef, dragapult, most melmetal, slowking-g, slowking, bulky dragonite, rotom-w, tapu lele, weavile (usually wouldnt stay in + banded into ice move gives it free setup) and most mons cant break through it at +2 in either stat such as garchomp going from being able to beat it at neutral to being unable to beat it at +2, same with victini, and a lot of offensive pokemon.

1653259063697.gif

UR->C-

As you can see I’m nominating arctovish to C-. I think we all know what it does in throwing off strong banded fishious rends in hail. Only slowbro, toxapex, and the much lesser used tangrowth are used and can take its hits throughout the game. Only slowbro can deal with hazard with hdb and has to watch out for freeze dry or banded crunch.Tangrowth also struggles with blizzard, icicle crash and freeze dry too. And pex has to watch for Psy fangs but since they all have the fun ability in regenerator they can scout really well then switch but forcing them to not recover and have them into 60-70 after regen opens up vish if you are able to play aggressive enough.

Now onto its main weakness. Arctozolt. Why use this when arctozolt exists and I’ll be honest there isn’t much reason to over zolt. Arctozolt while being more prediction reliant absolutely can destroy teams with good play making the risk of predicting well worth the rewards. Which is my main argument for arctovish Is not to use it over arctozolt but rather to use it as a secondary hail abuser.

While hail normally runs one slush rush abuser and may have a Pokémon with weather ball or a strong attacker that likes hail but can function w/o it, I think more offensive versions of hail would really love arctovish. One reason is that it can make arctovish adamant and make arctozolt a speed boosting nature which can open up vish for a more wall breaking role vs bulkier teams and have zolt handle offensive mu as it will outspeed zeraora and dragapult. Arctovish can also weaken Pokémon like ferrothorn for arctozolt and can bait in Slowbro/toxapex/ and less ideally tangrowth for an arctozolt double allowing a easy switch in to have arctozolt to weaken teams for vish or if you have a good mu threaten kos. This is not to mention that acrtovish does have games where it can just 2-3 shot pokemon every Pokémon if they are running slowking or fini as their bulky water which is a lot better than pex or slowbro obviously.

And finally I want to discuss is why would you use want to use dual slush rush rather than a more traditional hail team that has been proven to work. And while I initially used double hail as a meme I found really surprising success with it and I think this is due to how aggressive you can play your abusers compared to traditional hail. You can look at preview and determine what abuser is better or if one has an insanely good mu (which is common) and use the other one aggressively to poke holes for a late game cleanup by the other. A more traditional hail likes to use like volcanion, tornadus, thundurus, and others to break holes for arctozolt and that will lead to them having to play cautious around zolt as to not let it die or weakened into a priority move range. While with double slush rush you can let vish or zolt in aggressively on a hit doing around 60-70 and break a hole for the one that has a better chance to win in the endgame.

Replays: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1576785410-7c1j9je5x3md2bbdriq5sz3djvsi37dpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1576479907-knvurvi3ovl1rlliiaukixxu6sou0qspw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1576375476-z128y6k0fdzkyn88f7xvfc3ck221pv6pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1576196646-61wlq7yfpqoxqmnt8y5mprkgnwag788pw
I have more replays of arctovish doing work but the majority of them are vish having a good mu and while I have a few replays of that already I wanted to focus on how it can help arctozolt as compared too it being a mu vish

Yes I've beaten last mon DD Dragapult with Registeel a few times. You have an absurd amount of PP to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)