Resource SS OU DLC2 Viability Ranking Thread [SEE: Page 105, Post 2618]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm skeptic of Mandibuzz being so high in the rankings honestly, especially because i wanted to talk an even more dangerous force in the format: Terrakion.

:terrakion: UR -> S
:mandibuzz: S -> A- at best tbhimo

As illustrated by some replays where i play the game versus randos on ladder games to showcase how good i am that i won't post, Terrakion is an absolute menace. It destroys steels because it's a fighting type, and it destroys stuff that would stop it like Tornadus-Therian or main guy Mandibuzz out here thanks to its rock stab. It's so good that you can forego the lack of defensive utility and how it's not actually that threatening to any team that doesnt get critted because i say it, and i'm right and the rest of these people are wrong.

Synthesized: Terrakion beats most threats in the OU metagame, and mainly gets rid of Mandibuzz really quickly because Mandibuzz is weak to rock, as you know.

Lastly, i would like to announce that everyone that disagrees with me can bo3 me on my roof this weekend. Terrakion is on all of my teams. You broke attic weirdos say this continuously like some weird cult yet consistently lose to it and use the absolute worse sets. So I’m also going to ask. Who told you this? What sets have you run across? Why are you having an opinion different to mine? Lastly lol you a weird dude to try and pull the terrakion racist card against Srn. But even moreso lol please try and pull that against me, faless. PLEASE TRY IT. You have been kachowed.
That Mandibuzz drop is CAP AF, and not the Create A Pokemon metagame, Choice Scarf Roost completely invalidates Stone Edge from Terrakion healing into a PP stall.

Mandibuzz is our new god, proven to be better than Gen 2 Snorlax and these nerds need to accept the Emo Bird as the only thing that matters in this world anymore. And drop everyone else to UR, but put every Uber in D tier blacklist just so Ubers players stop using Unviable gimmicks like Yveltal and Calyrex.

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
who told it was mediocre? basement dwelling bad players? make your own opinion or use good sets next time lol or ask me or storm zone. tired of yalls just bad ignorant opinions lmao on like an echo chamber of stupidity (not you, just a lot of people on this site)
id like to apologize for my previous take, ive done some reflection and realized the error of evil ways. i had to contact some tinder girl that i trust with every ounce of my being and they agreed with you that i need to move out of the basement and get a job the pays better money. furthermore, mandibuzz is the greatest mon to grace this tier and ill now use it on every team. thank you my saviour, i hope you can give me your almighty forgiveness and excuse my past sins. amen.
IMG_2461.jpg

:mandibuzz: s -> s+
much like sm p-don, mandibuzz is required on almost every ou team. any team not using mandibuzz greatly suffers due to its ability to blanket check a vast majority of the tier and is the strongest role compression we have ever seen in ous history. it can use a variety of offensive and defensive sets, making it viable on every playstyle. its ability to defeat defensive checks such as clef and tapu fini by simply toxicing and roost spamming is unmatched, or beating its offensive checks like tapu koko by OHKOing with foul play makes it a clear contender for s+. its simply better than everything else in S and S-.

:yveltal: :tornadus-therian: :landorus-therian: :zapdos: :zapdos-galar: :corviknight: :pelipper: :dragonite: -> UR
flat out bad, they see no tour play, outclassed by mandibuzz in every way

:vullaby: ur -> a
mandi family spam teams are on the rise, seeing a ton of spl play. if one mandi is so good, why not two? recently tier shifted from LC -> OU with the april shifts and its a clear contender for a rank atm but might be better. its the breakout star of SPL for reason, coming off of no usage to top 10 in such a short period.

:weavile: :bisharp: :tyranitar: -> somewhere lower
viability of these certainly have dropped due to mandi being every teams dark type and type clause unless youre in the mandi family being in effect, but im not sold on unranking them quite yet. only time can tell but they certainly are not as good as mandibuzz or vullaby.

:zamazenta-crowned: :necrozma-dawn-wings: -> bring down from ubers
we should test these because they are countered hard by mandi and vullaby

:mandibuzz:S -> S+ (Agree)

I highly agree with this statement. Mandibuzz has cemented itself as the single best Pokemon in the metagame, with its ranking contesting Primal Groudon because of its insane tournament and ladder usage rate, and being required on every team. Mandibuzz is widely known by players in the OU metagame for its offensive sets like Choice Band, Choice Specs, and Nasty Plot being very flexible with good Defog support. Its bulk can help it control the game long-term and it is always a terrifying threat in the right hands. Mandibuzz's defensive sets should not be slept on either, as all breakers in OU falter to mixed defensive Mandibuzz sets, and can maintain its job of a mixed wall easier with Boots. With that being said, Mandibuzz has an uncontested position in the metagame, and is better than its other partners in S and S- on the VR.

:landorus-therian: -> UR (Agree)

Despite Intimidate being one of Landorus-T's best tools, it loses to Banded Foul Play Mandibuzz

Mandibuzz (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Roost / Filler

Mandibuzz (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird
- Steel Wing
- Bone Rush (I've been having fun with Bone Rush Mandibuzz- with rocks up, Mandibuzz can bait opposing Heatrans to stay in on it, and it can easily claim a kill as Bone Rush OHKOs.)

252+ Atk Choice Band Mandibuzz Bone Rush (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 336-396 (87 - 102.5%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

id like to apologize for my previous take, ive done some reflection and realized the error of evil ways. i had to contact some tinder girl that i trust with every ounce of my being and they agreed with you that i need to move out of the basement and get a job the pays better money. furthermore, mandibuzz is the greatest mon to grace this tier and ill now use it on every team. thank you my saviour, i hope you can give me your almighty forgiveness and excuse my past sins. amen.
View attachment 416256

:mandibuzz: s -> s+
much like sm p-don, mandibuzz is required on almost every ou team. any team not using mandibuzz greatly suffers due to its ability to blanket check a vast majority of the tier and is the strongest role compression we have ever seen in ous history. it can use a variety of offensive and defensive sets, making it viable on every playstyle. its ability to defeat defensive checks such as clef and tapu fini by simply toxicing and roost spamming is unmatched, or beating its offensive checks like tapu koko by OHKOing with foul play makes it a clear contender for s+. its simply better than everything else in S and S-.

:yveltal: :tornadus-therian: :landorus-therian: :zapdos: :zapdos-galar: :corviknight: :pelipper: :dragonite: -> UR
flat out bad, they see no tour play, outclassed by mandibuzz in every way

:vullaby: ur -> a
mandi family spam teams are on the rise, seeing a ton of spl play. if one mandi is so good, why not two? recently tier shifted from LC -> OU with the april shifts and its a clear contender for a rank atm but might be better. its the breakout star of SPL for reason, coming off of no usage to top 10 in such a short period.

:weavile: :bisharp: :tyranitar: -> somewhere lower
viability of these certainly have dropped due to mandi being every teams dark type and type clause unless youre in the mandi family being in effect, but im not sold on unranking them quite yet. only time can tell but they certainly are not as good as mandibuzz or vullaby.

:zamazenta-crowned: :necrozma-dawn-wings: -> bring down from ubers
we should test these because they are countered hard by mandi and vullaby
Scrumptious! Yum. You're takes make me shit myself. En mi opinion, vullaby is extremely underrated. A pokemon with 70/75/65 bulk (in comparision to Deoxys-Attack, an Ubers Pokemon, it has 40% more HP, almost 4 times more defense, and 3 times mroe special defense) should definetly be used in more defensive ways. Paired with eviolite, it could be extremely deadly, for the item increases defense and special defense by 1.5x. You might be asking, "What about knock off on eviolite?!?!?" WELL, who tf is clicking knock on a dark type? Bad play. Weak armor can also be used offensively to sweep teams, paired with its MASSIVE 55 attack stat (remember that spectrier shit? that mon is ubers now, and this bird only has 10 attack less than it).

All I'm asking for you people is to bump this mon even further up the list
:vullaby: ur -> A+
ggs fellas

Last edited:
1648847562554.png
C+ to B-

I feel like Mamo stocks will be on the rise before long. This mons offensive presence is incredibly underrated in the current OU metagame. Ice/Ground stab has always been good, but it's never been better. Garchomp, Lando, Heatran, Toxapex, Tornadus, the list of top usage mons that can't stand toe to toe with the mammoth goes on. Revenge killing it is very doable but the problem is you can't switch in once this thing hits the field. With a Choice band even supposed checks like Corviknight and Slowbro are a flinch, a crit or a bit of chip away from being removed. With Life Orb playing Mamo is like playing chess with a queen vs a king in open field. Every turn puts the opponent in a check situation where the wrong defensive play ends up in a kill. The list of Pokemon that switches into both Crash and EQ is very limited, and none of those pokemon appreciate Knock Off (which with Boots being everywhere is the best the move has ever been as well). 80 Base speed is not amazing, but it's exactly what it needs to be incredibly effective. Magnezone, Volcanion, the vast majority of Lando sets and defensive Garchomp are but a few key threats that easily get outsped. It ties with Dragonite and can always eat a hit before reliably taking it out with either Banded Crash or Life Orb Crash into Shard. It can get rocks up if your team lacks a setter. It has the coveted electric immunity and is the only mon I can think of that is practically immune to the boltbeam combo. It's respectable bulk with Thick Fat means it can also handle mons like Dragapult while at least pressuring Volcarona into action. On the flip side running Oblivious can make it one of the best defensive Lando answers imagineable and a solid anti-lead vs it.

It's typing still leaves things to be desired and competition for a Ground type is fierce. Weavile also gives it competition. But it's kit is just so efficient and good at dealing with the current meta that B- is a much more adequate position for this mon to be in. I truly expect Mamoswine to pick up in usage in the coming months, I personally will be laddering with this behemoth for sure.

:blaziken: to S+
Alright I’ve been nice and humble about rising blaziken before but now y’all need to know the truth. The fact is if u don’t think blaziken is the best and most centralizing mon in the tier, u are objectively trash at this game and should quit playing pokemon. I shall provide no additional reasoning or replays to prove my statement, as it is simply a fact and not an opinion. I also have 0 flaws as a player, which is why u can simply take my word for it.
:weavile: to UR
Loses to blaziken and procs mandi’s weak armor and weakness policy in one move. Using this is nearly guaranteeing u will lose every game u play.

ok y'all hyped about burd and stuff, above here about blaziken, i'm kinda serious tho.

There should be an Infinity rank, only reserved for Pokemon that are the créme de la creme of mons, miles above these S-ranks and stuff. these mons are so majestic and powerful. they are immortal.

On that note,

:Politoed: to

I mean, what else is there to say. It's a majestic being, the best ever created amongst many in the world of Pokémon. It has the ability to control and provide rain, causing every1 to remain hydrated 'n healthy. it can also basically infatuate everyone with its beauty, resulting in permanent numbness which gives it all the time it needs to slaughter its opp. It doesn't need that tho - one hit is enough to obliterate anything in sight. tho it has the ability to abuse its power, its proper character causes it to choose for peace amongst mankind, a rare characteristic for someone with power.

tl;dr sexy as fuck mon and should be far above any other in viability rankings.

oh and just for your information: this is how it fares vs the supposed 'god' of Pokemon. hell no

0 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Rain: 321000-338675 (90000%-97540%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Arceus Judgment vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 0-0.00001 (0%-0.00002%) -- possibly the worst move ever.

I'm baffled abt how no one has brought this up. what the actual fuck smogon.

Jakerocks73

Banned deucer.
I find it very upsetting that people are memeing on mandibuzz, I can not remember the last time I made a viable team without it. People complain about kartana, so use mandibuzz. Getting swept by Dragonite, or any other physical setup sweepers? Use mandibuzz. While HDB mandibuzz is decent rocky helmet is about 42% better because it allows for mandibuzz to scare urshifu from clicking surging strikes because rocks +6 rocky helmet causes any pokemon to die. People may say "protective pads urshifu beats mandibuzz", however, this is not true because it does not do enough damage. I have misplayed games before and allowed for my entire team to die, only to 4v1 with mandibuzz. It blows my mind that mandibuzz is uu, and much less c rank viability. This may seem like a sarcastic post, but it is not. Please do not argue with me if you have never got top 100 on ladder. If you have, maybe your opinion is ok but probably not respectfully ofc. Things that make your opinion invalid are spamming all ou mons, spamming stall, spamming kart, volc, etc, and being bald.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
So, everyone, bad news. As it turns out, Big Pecks does not have the effects we thought it did, as we had once been told, thus gimping both its once unstoppable offensive variant and unpredictability, and by extension limiting it to the classic defensive Defog set that we know and love. While Mandibuzz may have taken a monumental hit in viability, we will remember it for stomping the OU tier this last day, or something. As such... it will need to drop back down to C+ where it was prior to its major outbreak. If you think it's still got a niche though, feel free to nominate it for a higher rank, as always.

in other words funny one-liner day is over. go home.

:ss/zeraora:to A+
Zeraora gaming
Zera should be A+ if koko, and that's self explanatory. Zeraora's bulk up set has few counters/checks and it's ability to absolutely clutch endgames when their ground is chipped is incredible. It lacks a lot of koko's utility and does not have much early game value but it's damage potential, coverage, speed tier and ability to just truck through offense teams by itself should be indicators of its viability. Sure it's not as easy to put on a team but it definitely gives enough of a mileage while building for it and any support to this mon helps a lot for it.Also having amazing pivot/Choice Band sets(heat Fusien) helps it's variance. It's frankly the most reliable speed control in the metagame as well and appreciates archetypes such as spikestack, hyper offense, semi-fat(koko does better on this tbf) and balance/BO so it's viability should rise up to meet its fellow fast electric brethren.
(I'll fill in calcs and replays a bit later)

~~~
~~~
:ss/tornadus-therian:to S-
Probably has been said multiple times in this thread but it shouldnt even be a question. High speed, good invested bulk, amazing typing,prolly one of the best utility and tools to work in the tier, it has everything. Torn has been amazing over the past couple of months, a ban to kyurem and re-introduction of kartana and buzzwole and a rise in spikestack builds was the catalyst to make tornadus a very easily slappable pokemon. It has one of the best movepools thus allowing it to kit for anything you need,assault vest sludge to catch koko's off guard, heat wave for ferrothorn, icy wind to chip landorus and speed control, toxic for putting dangerous mons on a timer, taunt to completely stop tankchomp/defog landorus and nasty plot if you want to accomplish damage and hate facing fat pokemons. Regenerator alongside boots gives it awfully high longetivity. All of this allows it to run sets such as Nasty Plot and Assault Vest alongside it's usual defog pivot set. It manages to check dragapult(AV), kartana(pivot),buzzwole(pivot),rillaboom(pivot), blaceph(pivot), landorus(Taunt Defog/Icy wind),volcarona(toxic),demonmew(toxic)ferrothorn(heat wave). It also offensive beats nearly everything in this tier as it can tech for whatever it needs to(hell people even ran np hyper beam for a zapdos trade to let their grasses and fighters claim ez dubs).This definitely belongs in S-. Idt replays are needed since someone prolly did this before but I'll add some offtorn calcs/replays right when I do them for zeraora.

~~
~~
who told it was mediocre? basement dwelling bad players? make your own opinion or use good sets next time lol or ask me or storm zone. tired of yalls just bad ignorant opinions lmao on like an echo chamber of stupidity (not you, just a lot of people on this site)
download.png

Sorry I couldn't resist this one.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
1648908495762.png

mandibuzz c+ is crazy. seems like people either dont know how to play it or have a vast misunderstanding of what it can do. mandibuzz not even comparable to filth like "zarude" and "dracozolt" so putting it in the same tier is wrong here. first off mandibuzz beats all the top hitters. landorus / chomp / rillaboom / dragonite all cooked by foul play. mandibuzz has nascar speed too at base 80 those roosts come easy. beats scarfkart, non band urshifu, takes on zeraora at +1 very comfy, in general no move ohkoes this shit so who cares. its just like landorus where if you dont ohko it youre fucked its going to do a lot in the game by removing hazards / roosting / checking your mon with foul play. This post is kind of a stream of consciousness but someone has to bring mandibuzz back up for reranking because it is not worse than reuniclus and tapu bulu. it will always be a very strong glue that can remove hazards and handle some threats in a pinch. I always feel like its the same shit as using landorus-t which is why im surprised so many people hate it. It takes 0 skill to use and gives a big payoff. isnt that what noobs want?

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 23 Spe
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

I ONLY use this I have no idea why its speed is nuked, not sure what we're trying to outslow, maybe someone who uses this set can enlighten. maybe storm zone eved it

why is weavile allowed? https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-617001 watch this replay lmao, what am I supposed to do?
Probably not let Tapu Fini, a Pokemon lacking reliable recovery, be worn down by Volcanion when you have a Blissey, a Pokemon with massive special bulk and has reliable recovery and when the opponent only has 2 special attackers with 1 being electric.
You could have sent that Wish to Tapu Fini instead so that it could actually be healthy, and you could use something like Toxic on some of your Pokemon.
I also noticed that Weavile is wearing Protective Pads since Rocky Helmet didn’t damage it, so if your defensive team is being overpowered by a Base 120 Atk with a single 108 BP dark move, you really need to rethink your team.
So Beat Up doesn’t make contact and looking at damage output it looks like Choice Band Weavile. But still, that Weavile literally only uses 1 move the entire game.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The memes and baiting Omari to fail in the common sense department by telling the community to get money when half of them probably can't legally drink is good for a chuckle, but Mandi in C+ is too low. As stated above its not as bad as those in its current C+ rank and some cases barely relevant. Thundy-T, Celesteela are also too low as well, maybe even Swamp as much as I think the mon isn't that good. I'd probably switch the places of Reuniclus, Rotom-H, and Bulu for the above mentioned.

I'd personally would put Urshifu down to A- as well, Victini to B+, switch Fini and Leles position. Dont think Urshifu is that much better than the A- counterparts. Dont think a separation for S is needed cause it's not that serious so maybe just consolidating that rank together.

Last edited:
Don't tell me what to do
If i can't Post's exaggerating certain aspect's of pokemon while crying out for megas. Neither can you or anyone make one liners .......

Ok on a more serious note so this post isn't a random one liner I'm curious as to why :Umbreon: aint ranked given it's popped up on few stall team's recently as a catch all for ghosts and darks while offering cleric and foulplay support. Not saying it's some godlike threat and i know unranked mons can work but I'm surprised its not C- or something.

Also i support lando dropping to A+ or S-. Its no longer the glue of the tier and doesnt match up well against increasingly common sight's like fini or weavile.

That's all from me for now.

Mimikyu Stardust

Enjoyment
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
:ss/mandibuzz:
C+ -> B-

No memes here!

Mandibuzz is not the best defogger or the best ghost resist or even the best anti physical mon, but its a damn good role compressor ill give it that. The amount of freedom this bird gives to building team is great, Ghost resist? things to beat the physical offense threat? defogger? toxic user? use this bird, Echoing what blunder and subsequently omari p's original post before it got memed to death tenfold, mandibuzz is super underrated and shafted a bit too much, you cant ohko this thing at all and it will almost always guarantee a defog, pivot, knock, toxic or foul play.

It also has insane bulk, like it lives +1 zeraora plasma fist, +1 dragonite ice punch, regieleki volt switch, modest lele moonblast, specs volcanion steam eruption, +2 life orb kartana, +3 hawlucha (+4 if max physdef), banded ttar stone edge and other mind numbing calcs.

what does it do back?
you can toxic for later anoyyance, u-turn for pivotting into a threat like specs lele, knock off to remove an item and more, its not much different like the birds corv and torn.

So i think everyone should give it a chance, use it as a role compressor of Anti-physical mon, ghost resist, and defogger. here are some nice cores to try out for yourself.

:mandibuzz: + :heatran:
:mandibuzz: + :victini:
:mandibuzz: + :tapu-lele:
:mandibuzz: + :toxapex:
:mandibuzz: + :garchomp:
:mandibuzz: + :torkoal: :heat-rock:
:mandibuzz: + :ninetales-alola: :icy-rock:

Last edited:

romanji

you deserve someone better
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think Mandibuzz might not be as bad as others in C+, and should probably B-. But the main problem with it that it gets overwhelmed as fuck by many of the top threats. Weavile, Zapdos, Koko, Lele always force it out without it getting progress at all. It also kinda needs to be at full to check the ghosts, and gets especially gets neutered by trick from Blace. Moreover, Mandibuzz wants 50 million moves on its sets that you didn’t mention like Toxic, Knock, Taunt, Whirlwind, and Brave Bird, cutting into its utility a lot.

Edit: also swap Rillaboom and Bulu because Bulu has actual coverage that can deal with Corviknight, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz

April Fools is over, here is a serious nom

:reuniclus: from B- —> B
AV Reun is actually a bonkers Spdef wall. With 252 HP and 216 SpDef and a neutral nature, it can counter Tapu Lele, which is crucial to my stall team. In general, despite its surprisingly low BST, 110 85 special bulk is quite respectable when it has two of the best abilities in the game, magic guard and regenerator. Magic guard lets double dance stored power sets become a menace, while regenerator lets it eat special attacks for days. It can also fire future sights off a respectable 125 Spatk which can be good chip. And I have to mention volcanion rising, as reuniclus stomps Spatkers that can’t hit it sith STAB SE moves.. It’s only B tier for now (imo) as it loses a lot of momentum to uturn, which isnt an issue for stall but can be a problem for other archetypes.

NOTE: shoutout to CM Colbur I’ve heard it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)