Resource SS OU DLC2 Viability Ranking Thread [SEE: Page 105, Post 2618]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
Bunch of bad replays and bad teams. I have used Terrakion a lot in the course of 6 months on and off I promise you it's not that serious and its viability is probably too low listed but it's not even worth engaging in a whole page convo for.
imma say this again. like lol this is like your opinion mane; cool story bro. shoo. you blocking everyone else's blessing as tyrant.

sidenote it is genuinely astonishing to me that rather than many of you on this site admit that you actually are wrong about something, you would actually rather say that I’m just godly and better than everyone. I mean like thank you lol but like jesus christ that can genuinely not be your answer. I can literally not make any plans anyone else cannot make. this aint football phews stop that shit lmao but u not totally wrong tho

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
imma say this again. like lol this is like your opinion mane; cool story bro. shoo. you blocking everyone else's blessing as tyrant.

sidenote it is genuinely astonishing to me that rather than many of you on this site admit that you actually are wrong about something, you would actually rather say that I’m just godly and better than everyone. I mean like thank you lol but like jesus christ that can genuinely not be your answer. I can literally not make any plans anyone else cannot make. this aint football phews stop that shit lmao but u not totally wrong tho
I have went out of my way to make sure Terrakion was on every voting slate despite my personal opinion on it not being changed. What happens beyond there is out of my control, but despite this and it not moving time and time again, I’ll include it yet again. If that’s your definition of tyrant, then perhaps consult a dictionary.

What is within my control is telling you to stop being so egotistical in this thread. So stop.

This thread is not the “Omari P brags about peaking ladder” thread. That’s what the OU room is for.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
I have went out of my way to make sure Terrakion was on every voting slate despite my personal opinion on it not being changed. What happens beyond there is out of my control, but despite this and it not moving time and time again, I’ll include it yet again. If that’s your definition of tyrant, then perhaps consult a dictionary.

What is within my control is telling you to stop being so egotistical in this thread. So stop.

This thread is not the “Omari P brags about peaking ladder” thread. That’s what the OU room is for.
thanks for including it! seriously man

Last edited:
I've read every post about this surprisingly vivid Terrakion discussion. I don't need to talk about Terrakion itself as I've already expressed myself, I just wanted to say that it's been quite unpleasant to read many condescending and know-it-all posts around this topic coming from both sides. Ultimately, this thread is also for respectfully sharing opinions and thus we should be able to live with people having different ones, without the need to mock people who have unpopular opinions or, on the other hand, be so arrogant about our own. It ends up only fueling useless flame and unnecessarily bloat discussions out of proportions.

With that out of the way and on a more positive note:

Just looking at early SPL games / late SCL and I'm seeing some trends I expect to continue further as the meta progresses

:heatran: is a full S rank threat rn. Air Balloon usage has skyrocketed and its genuinely impressive how oppressive it can be at keeping rocks up and forcing damage whilst keeping its balloon intact. Add in its standard spdef set sprinkled with choice shenanigans and it's arguably the best mon in the meta atm. Definitely top 2 with Lando

:melmetal: has seen a huge resurgence with its toxic protect set. It checks half the meta, never dies, and does big damage with only 3 moveslots. Corv usage being down the gutter in favor of torn/zap and other steels definitely goes in its favor and I believe it's an easy A+ rank

:kartana: should also be A+. I've been saying for months ppl sleep on this mon and SPL is finally showing how stupid this mon can be. Scarf just cleans, band breaks, and SD sweeps

:zapdos: should be A. I still think defog is ass but pivot and offensive sets are really scary with glowking usage falling and zap forcing damage on everything else. Electric/flying coverage hits almost every relevant mon and can those it can't are either Volt Switched on or hit with a timely Toxic. Add in the defensive value of checking grasses, torn, gap, u turn spam, waters, and the broken ability static, and you've got a mon that is rarely useless in a game.

Slowbro, garchomp, and koko are all at that borderline A+/A threshold and can go in either rank tbh, weavile is pretty meh rn, and lele is seeing a resurgence, so I could see any of these mons moving up / down in the coming weeks as time goes on. Looking forward to seeing how things look in a month or two
Absolutely agreed! I'm enjoying each of these Pokémon but especially Zapdos and Melmetal. Zapdos's typing, decent bulk and broken ability are a nasty combo at the moment and I'm finding it easy to slap a bulky set with Volt Switch - Hurricane - Roost - Toxic on many ideas that I try to take on. Toxic Melmetal is something I had in my most recent RMT and it's incredible, whether it is Protective Pads 3 Attacks or ProTox.
Heatran and Kartana are just very, very good. Other than offensive Air Balloon, as Vittorioso said, Heavy Slam is a very useful tool to have to better counter Clefable, reliably killing Weavile and also chip Tapu Fini down a lot quicker. Heatran and Landorus-T will always be at the very top of every metagame.

Last edited:
:mew: to A/A-
How is this poke this low on the VR is my question right now. It's easily one of the most dangerous mons in the metagame and a great pick on most hyper offense teams. This is an invaluable pick on hyperoffense and can even thrive on fat/balance/bulky offense squads if there is a set that's feasible to run or might patch some holes of the team as it can be quite a good check to a lot of offensive threats in the current metagame. It also has a near impossible to stop cosmic power set that will be worth it to support on any type of squads. The last point is that the TM god itself can just run about anything may it be Cosmic Power, Hazards lead, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, defensive, Transform or even a cheeky taunt roost anti stall set.
also :dragonite: to B+/A-
This mon is one of the key benefactors of the kyueem ban as it's a great wincon on a lot of teams may it be hyper offense or bulky offense, also a great matchup against heatran with its heal bell set as well as it's capabilities of taking hits from dangerous threats such as kartana, volcanion and ability to take hits due to multiscale let this mon fit a defensive position on quite a lot of fatter squads for its matchups against these offensive threats. I don't see how this mon is this low on the viability rankings even though it's quite easy to face onto ladder and is generally a great mon to put on a team with it's variety of sets which can often be made to bypass it's usual checks.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just began playing and am trying to do some research on the meta. The original post said that it was last updated a month ago. So far everything I have been looking at has been outdates so I guess I'm a little paranoid lol but is that the most current list with all the most current changes applied?

And if it is all the latest info, do you have any advice/resources you use to keep yourselves updated on the most recent tournament results? I'm a YuGiOh player, and we have videos all over the place of people covering the most recent deck lists and I was wondering if you guys had something like that because it would be really useful.

romanji

/ᐠ - ˕ -マ
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, I just began playing and am trying to do some research on the meta. The original post said that it was last updated a month ago. So far everything I have been looking at has been outdates so I guess I'm a little paranoid lol but is that the most current list with all the most current changes applied?

And if it is all the latest info, do you have any advice/resources you use to keep yourselves updated on the most recent tournament results? I'm a YuGiOh player, and we have videos all over the place of people covering the most recent deck lists and I was wondering if you guys had something like that because it would be really useful.
Hello and welcome to Smogon!

The viability rankings update usually update every 1-2 months so it means that it should update soon.

If you want to find out any of the various tournaments, go here. Smogon Premier League is currently ongoing and should keep you up with any trends in OU.

For any other questions you have, I recommend you go to OU Simple Questions Simple Answers since that is the place to go for questions like this. I you have any further questions about Smogon in general go here.

:ss/zarude: C+ --> maybe B or B+
:Zarude: @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Darkest Lariat
- Power Whip
- Jungle Healing​
EV explanation: 4 hp to hit 352, which is divisible by 4. Max attack to hit harder. 20 spdef to live a hit from defensive Zap's Hurricane. 232 speed with a jolly nature to just outspeed Garchomp.

Still don't understand why we wasted time arguing about Terrakion, when we could've been using that time arguing about your dude Zarude. After Spectrier got banned, I thought Zarude was gonna go back to UR status. Decided to try it out again and yea this mon is criminally underrated. It's the single best counter to Demon Mew, the set from hell that's been gaining popularity on HO teams. It's immune to Stored Power, and although weak to Body Press if they're running it, it can use Bulk Up to to catch up to its defense boosts and weaken the damage it takes from it. Darkest Lariat allows it to break through Demon Mew's defense boosts, thus negating all setup, and is also naturally faster, which definitely does help. It also has great mus against Ferro, Bliss, and Slowbro, 3 mons that are pretty good in the metagame. Zarude's Leech Seed immunity+BU make Ferro setup fodder, and prevents Ferro from being able to sap health from it like it does with every other mon bar grasses, which is a huge selling point for me because without Leech Seed, Ferro's only form of recovery is its lefties, which can easily get knocked. The only things Ferro can do are knock Zarude's lefties, setup spikes or rocks, or Body Press it if it's running that, which doesn't work if Zarude gets to +3. Blissey's pretty obvious because ofc a physical mon beats a special wall, but my point is that Blissey can't do anything back to it except teleport out because Jungle Healing completely prevents Bliss from Twaving/Toxicing it, and ends up letting it setup for free. I'm seeing an increase in Slowbro usage, which is great for Zarude because that's a mon it completely takes advantage of. Both of its stabs hit super effectively, setup fodder, and immune to fsight. The best it can do is to either teleport out and take a huge blow or hard switch and let the revenger take the hit. I honestly think atm it's a better mon than both Rilla and Bulu. The only things that really holds it back from being A material is that crippling 4x weakness to uturn and its terrible Torn mu.

Here are some cool calcs I wanna show you guys:
252+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. +3 4 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 76-90 (21.5 - 25.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 20 SpD Zarude: 134-158 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Blissey Seismic Toss vs. 4 HP Zarude: 100-100 (28.4 - 28.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
Jungle Healing heals 25% of its health, so factoring in lefties and Zarude is back to full, which means Bliss makes no progress and lets Zarude in for free.

Also cool replay of Zarude chipping Ferro down so Lando and ghosts that I didn't need to use could win the game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1491797039-iv470v33pybc21wddzfm9723bzt30wjpw

One last note about Zarude: If you're gonna run it, always run 4 HP on it, because that makes its health divisible by 4, maximizing the amount of health it regenerates from Jungle Healing since Pokemon always rounds down.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
:ss/nihilego:

B- -> B

Nihilego has seen a surge in usage in recent tour games and has certainly proven itself to be an underrated threat in the current OU metagame. Its auspicious typing gives it some good resistance to Fire and Fairy as well as the ability to set Stealth Rock while beating out common Defoggers such as Tornadus-T. This typing is further augmented by its amazing special bulk letting it come in on many strong special attackers to set up. Speaking of which, Meteor Beam gives Nihilego incredible sweeping potential when combined with Speed Boost EVs. This set has decent coverage, being able to target the likes of Clefable and Tapu Fini with its strong STAB Sludge Wave, and Hippowdon and Slowbro with Grass Knot. Although its coverage is walled by Steel-types, it can generally overwhelm them at +1, in tandem with the Steels being accountable for in the builder. Overall, I feel like Nihilego is definitely deserving of at least being considered to rise to B.

TOUR REPLAYS

BIHI vs. Storm Zone - Here, Nihilego stomachs a +1 Volcarona Psychic and revenge kill it with Power Herb Meteor Beam. Later in the game, Nihilego ends up winning the game.

Eternal Spirit vs. MichaelderBeste2 - A good example of Nihilego taking advantage of Corviknight being a team's only Steel-type in what would have likely ended up as a sweep.

I like these two mons so I'll share my opinions
:ss/nihilego:

B- -> B

Nihilego has seen a surge in usage in recent tour games and has certainly proven itself to be an underrated threat in the current OU metagame. Its auspicious typing gives it some good resistance to Fire and Fairy as well as the ability to set Stealth Rock while beating out common Defoggers such as Tornadus-T. This typing is further augmented by its amazing special bulk letting it come in on many strong special attackers to set up. Speaking of which, Meteor Beam gives Nihilego incredible sweeping potential when combined with Speed Boost EVs. This set has decent coverage, being able to target the likes of Clefable and Tapu Fini with its strong STAB Sludge Wave, and Hippowdon and Slowbro with Grass Knot. Although its coverage is walled by Steel-types, it can generally overwhelm them at +1, in tandem with the Steels being accountable for in the builder. Overall, I feel like Nihilego is definitely deserving of at least being considered to rise to B.

TOUR REPLAYS

BIHI vs. Storm Zone - Here, Nihilego stomachs a +1 Volcarona Psychic and revenge kill it with Power Herb Meteor Beam. Later in the game, Nihilego ends up winning the game.

Eternal Spirit vs. MichaelderBeste2 - A good example of Nihilego taking advantage of Corviknight being a team's only Steel-type in what would have likely ended up as a sweep.
Nihilego has definitely received more appreciation in the last couple months and I can see why. It has very unique traits that no other Pokémon can offer, so its viability is highly related to how hostile the meta is towards it. The points you bring as well as the replays from tours show enough of what Nihilego can bring to the table: high special bulk and useful typing against common special attackers like Volcarona, Blacephalon and Dragapult, decent Speed tier and a scary ability to KO a Pokémon and go +1/+1 in a single turn. It requiring support against Ground and Steel types goes both ways: Nihilego really struggle against those, especially Steel types, but those are the two defensive typing that you NEED to account for (as you said). That being said, Nihilego really suffers from 4th moveslot syndrome, especially on its Stealth Rock set. Yes it does smack Tornadus-T quite comfortably, but it needs Power Gem to reliably outmaneuver Landorus-T because it doesn't have a type advantage against it and only deals good damage with Meteor Beam and, since Landorus-T is definitely a top 3 defogger, it would be lame to be bad against it. I feel like every offensive stealth rock nihilego needs both stabs to be more reliable against the most common defoggers, which leaves nihilego screaming for coverage in the last slot, with sludge wave, gknot and even tbolt as options. I like aoa nihilego a bit better because it can fit more coverage and it acts as a wincon with defensive utility on bo and offensive teams alike. I think it's worth noting that a team with scarf nihilego has peaked high ladder so that may be something worth exploring a bit more. nihilego greatly suffers from kartana's presence though, because as frail as kartana is it takes no damage from sludge wave and grass knot so you need to play really carefully if meteor beam is your only other attack, because kartana is also faster and can ohko nihilego without many issues. the biggest issue imo is how strong protox melmetal is at the moment, but it's also positive for nihilego that some team's only steel type might be heatran and the only ground might be landorus-t, of which neither resist its rock stab. garchomp is also a big name in the meta and one that terrifies nihilego. In short, I agree with your bolded statement although I feel like what's being good for nihilego is being decently balanced by what's bad so it might be fine where it is, especially given it is still very niche.

:ss/zarude: C+ --> maybe B or B+
:Zarude: @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Darkest Lariat
- Power Whip
- Jungle Healing​
EV explanation: 4 hp to hit 352, which is divisible by 4. Max attack to hit harder. 20 spdef to live a hit from defensive Zap's Hurricane. 232 speed with a jolly nature to just outspeed Garchomp.

Still don't understand why we wasted time arguing about Terrakion, when we could've been using that time arguing about your dude Zarude. After Spectrier got banned, I thought Zarude was gonna go back to UR status. Decided to try it out again and yea this mon is criminally underrated. It's the single best counter to Demon Mew, the set from hell that's been gaining popularity on HO teams. It's immune to Stored Power, and although weak to Body Press if they're running it, it can use Bulk Up to to catch up to its defense boosts and weaken the damage it takes from it. Darkest Lariat allows it to break through Demon Mew's defense boosts, thus negating all setup, and is also naturally faster, which definitely does help. It also has great mus against Ferro, Bliss, and Slowbro, 3 mons that are pretty good in the metagame. Zarude's Leech Seed immunity+BU make Ferro setup fodder, and prevents Ferro from being able to sap health from it like it does with every other mon bar grasses, which is a huge selling point for me because without Leech Seed, Ferro's only form of recovery is its lefties, which can easily get knocked. The only things Ferro can do are knock Zarude's lefties, setup spikes or rocks, or Body Press it if it's running that, which doesn't work if Zarude gets to +3. Blissey's pretty obvious because ofc a physical mon beats a special wall, but my point is that Blissey can't do anything back to it except teleport out because Jungle Healing completely prevents Bliss from Twaving/Toxicing it, and ends up letting it setup for free. I'm seeing an increase in Slowbro usage, which is great for Zarude because that's a mon it completely takes advantage of. Both of its stabs hit super effectively, setup fodder, and immune to fsight. The best it can do is to either teleport out and take a huge blow or hard switch and let the revenger take the hit. I honestly think atm it's a better mon than both Rilla and Bulu. The only things that really holds it back from being A material is that crippling 4x weakness to uturn and its terrible Torn mu.

Here are some cool calcs I wanna show you guys:
252+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. +3 4 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 76-90 (21.5 - 25.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowbro Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 20 SpD Zarude: 134-158 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Blissey Seismic Toss vs. 4 HP Zarude: 100-100 (28.4 - 28.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
Jungle Healing heals 25% of its health, so factoring in lefties and Zarude is back to full, which means Bliss makes no progress and lets Zarude in for free.

Also cool replay of Zarude chipping Ferro down so Lando and ghosts that I didn't need to use could win the game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1491797039-iv470v33pybc21wddzfm9723bzt30wjpw

One last note about Zarude: If you're gonna run it, always run 4 HP on it, because that makes its health divisible by 4, maximizing the amount of health it regenerates from Jungle Healing since Pokemon always rounds down.
I think zarude has no way of jumping 2 subranks, let alone 3, but it might be decent as a B- Pokémon and for that reason it's fitting that an actual B- pokèmon has been nominated right after it. I think that, overall, zarude is still less viable than nihilego though.
its typing is a double edge sword because, while it gives some useful resistances in a vaccuum, it combines really poorly with common coverage or even secondary stabs on other pokèmon. it resists electric but loses to zapdos, koko and zeraora. it resists water but it either can't break through them (pex) or is shattered by others (shifu, barraskewda). kartana outspeeds, resists power whip and ignores any bulk up boost with sacred sword and ohkos from full with band and deals 89 min with life orb. most notably though, it resists ghost but gets blown back by dragapult's uturn and blacephalon's fire stabs, but, unlike weavile who suffers the same issues, zarude is slower than blacephalon and has no supereffective priority against dragapult nor blacephalon, so it ends up not even being a good ghost resist, an issue compunded by the next big problem: its offensive presence. its niche as a setup sweeper that thwarts any status conditions is potentially VERY good, but it is hampered by the fact that it lacks immediate power and supereffective coverage, + bulk up is vastly inferior to an ipothetical swords dance on zarude exactly because it lacks and needs immediate power to threaten the opposing team. unaware quagsire offers no resistance but unaware clef is immovable. it's weak to uturn and not that fast either, and although its pretty damn bulky, that typing ends up being atrocious against the common threats in ss ou. it requires far more dedicated support than nihilego as what stops zarude isn't specific but common typings, but rather some deeper intricacies and flaws that aren't that easy to correct. for this reason, I think it deserves to be ranked lower than nihilego, and definitely not above B- as of now. game freak definitely screwed zarude in many ways: no sd, no tough claws or any good ability for that matter, no knock off, not even sucker punch. rip zarude.

tl;dr I can see why Nihilego could rise to B if it gets more traction, although I'm not adamant about it at the moment.
Zarude definitely shouldn't rise by that much, but, even though it's fine in C+, I think it could be explored a bit more and thus maybe have a chance at rising to B-

Last edited:
Opened VR thread after a month and I am shook. But who gives a damn. My noms.

:Rillaboom: -> A-/A
This mon has gone under the radar and the banning of kyurem does wonders. Corvinknight usage dropping slightly, offensive zapdos discovered, Many things have gone in this mons favour. Lando sitting at top and it able to weaken eq for itself and teammates is nice. Slowbro being the top teleport also is beneficial to the drummer. Many birds are either out of usage(mandibuzz, moltres) or just trying out offensive sets( both zaps). Ye buzz is a problem but buzz also can be dealt with. Also scizor will eventually become bad.

:Mew: -> A/A+
Demon Mew, lead Mew, support Mew. What does this mon not try to be?

:Tapu Lele: -> A+
Add lele to builder and make it scarf/specs. Click buttons and the one turn where you need to click focus blast. Since pex is rising, lele can blast it away.

:Barraskewda:, :Pelipper:-> a-
:Seismitoad: -> B
Rain gets a boost after the kyurem ban, and hail's usage dropping too.

I am least sure about the rain nom but that's it!

agslash23

Banned deucer.
With Terrakion discussions out of the way, let me give my 2 cents on some mons in the current meta -

Rises

:Heatran: -> S

As Clone mentioned here, Air Balloon Eruption Heatran is an absolute unit that near guarantees rocks by nuking most common defoggers like Corviknight, Tornadus-T, Landorus-T. Adding its standard SpDef set as well as Flame Body physical set to the mix, it's extremely versatile Pokemon that can be tailored to make progress or outright beat any Pokemon in the metagame (except something like Heal Bell + EQ Dragonite or Rest TankChomp, which are anyway very niche options on Stall)

:Volcarona: -> A

Think Volcarona can't make any progress against Heatran? Think again - https://pokepast.es/d74bad52c3787072
The set mentioned in this paste means that Volcarona can Sub when Heatran switches in, then QD in the next turn, at least once initially if Heatran uses Taunt. This means that Heatran cannot break its subs, and Volcarona can just sit and wait for the next opportunity to QD, hitting Heatran with boosted Psychics in the meanwhile, to 1v1 and beat Heatran in the long run. While the set needs heavy Hazard Removal support and the whole team built around it (as perfectly built in the above Team Paste), the fact that Volcarona can legit attempt to beat its most popular check warrants a VR rise in my eyes.

:Moltres-Galar: -> A-

As far as I see it, B+ seems to usually include Pokemon that fit only 1 archetype but are excellent on that (like Hawlucha on HO, Gastrodon on Fat). Thus, G-Moltres's inclusion in B+ made sense when it was assumed that it only fit HO as a deadly sweeper that checks Ghosts like Dragapult. However, based on my own experience, as well as recently released samples and tour matches in the past few months, Moltres-Galar definitely fits more builds than HO. It is good on Offenses like Rain as a Pult check and stallbreaker, securing 2 key match-ups for offenses. Even on bulky offenses and balanced teams, it has been seen using Chesto Resto sets to offset its lack of recovery, and could perhaps use a RestTalk Mono-attack set to act as a late-game wincon on Fat teams. It is also one of the better options vs Demon Mew, which few Pokemon can boast of.

:Mew: -> A-/A

Continuing about Demon Mew - If you lack a Dark Type, Fast Toxic, Taunt, or Trick, you auto lose. Need I say more? Add sets like Hazard Setter on Hyper Offenses as well as Fat Balances to the equation, I think its customizability warrants an A rank, although A- is still not an issue.

:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: -> A-/A

After Kyurem ban, Rain has been a terrific archetype. Pelipper sets rain, and Barraskewda abuses it to 6-0 any team lacking a bulky water resist like Slowbro or Toxapex. Thus rain in itself deserves a huge rise in VR.

:Seismitoad: -> B/B+

Seismitoad is very good on rain teams due to access to Stealth Rocks, ability to outspeed most of the meta, as well as being able to beat Barraswekda checks like Toxapex.

:Crawdaunt: -> B-/B

While not bringing as much utility as Seismitoad, Crawdaunt boasts of only one thing - terrifying wall-breaking. In rain, it can 2HKO typical Barraskewda checks like Toxapex if unboosted, and has a strong chance to OHKO if boosted.

Drops

:Corviknight: -> A-

With Heatran as the premier Stealth Rocks setter, Corviknight is no longer the best defogger in the tier. Magnezone's presence doesn't bode well for it either. It also hates the rise of other Electric types like Zapdos, Rotom-W. Further, breakers it's supposed to check like Kartana, Garchomp, Tapu Lele all have means to beat it, and if these are paired together, it gets easily overwhelmed. It may check ground types, but it's outclassed there by Slowbro who is less passive against ground types with access to Ice Beam, Scald, Future Sight, and an even slower pivoting move.

:Arctozolt: -> B+

Hail is in a tough spot right now due to the revival of rain, double Steel cores, equipment of Choice Scarf by Kartana, Tapu Lele etc.. Hence, Arctozolt belongs in B+ rank, a spot shared by mons who are great in a single archetype only. A similar case could be made for A-Ninetales, but IMO it should remain where it is, as it glues together Screen Hyper Offense in addition to Hail (as witnessed by its SPL performance)

:Blissey: -> B/B-

After Kyurem ban, Blissey has absolutely no place on not-fat teams, as it is too passive to do anything noteworthy (it has literally 0 usage in SPL - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-xiii-ss-ou-discussion-thread.3695044/post-9079794)

:Scizor: -> B+

Same goes for Scizor, as its main niche was to check Kyurem. But, it can still sweep with its SD sets on Hyper Offense, while soft checking stuff like Tapu Lele, Kartana, Weavile to generate momentum with its defensive sets. Thus I believe that it shouldn't fall as much as Blissey.

Last edited:

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
Back to Terrakion, I’ve concluded that life orb is truly really good and you all were full of cap; which in no way surprised me whatsoever. I’m going to explore more sets such as double dance (rock polish sd) , band and AV and come back with my results. If you have any sets let me know. I agree with the person who said some of y’all’s posts were full of arrogance btw; it’s childish, embarrassing. A good reason why I’m in and out of here but I really wanna show people the potential and ease of use. It anyone has any ideas don’t be afraid to reach out. Despite what this community would lead you to believe there are no dumb ideas in innovation and exploration

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Back to Terrakion, I’ve concluded that life orb is truly really good and you all were full of cap; which in no way surprised me whatsoever. I’m going to explore more sets such as double dance (rock polish sd) , band and AV and come back with my results. If you have any sets let me know. I agree with the person who said some of y’all’s posts were full of arrogance btw; it’s childish, embarrassing. A good reason why I’m in and out of here but I really wanna show people the potential and ease of use. It anyone has any ideas don’t be afraid to reach out. Despite what this community would lead you to believe there are no dumb ideas in innovation and exploration
have you tried subsalac? lol.

played around with it before and ended up with ok results

raks stab combos really self sufficient anyway, one of its big weaknesses is that it falls to tons of stuff thats faster than it

Eh, can't say I disagree. That's just the nature of discussions though. People will talk in hyperbole for some stuff when in reality the situation is a bit more complex in order to build up some hype and get more likes. I remember back when FuturePort was seen as OP and people were really hyping up Slowking while also calling Slowbro garbage and unusable, even though at the time, Urshifu-RS was on the rise and seeing a lot of usage and Slowking's special bulk didn't actually give it many better MUs against the high tiers (unless you were running AV, Slowking's Heatran MU was about as bad as Slowbro). Fast forward a little while later and the same people calling Slowbro garbage wanted it to be ranked higher than Slowking for some of the reasons I implied above (better Urshifu-RS MU, Heatran MU isn't that much worse) + some cool options it had like Body Press and a bit better item variety compared to King.

At the end of the day, this is just a game and its better to experiment to see the truth for yourself. Regardless of whether Terrakion is a good pokemon or not, your post probably convinced a few other people to give a try, which is great.

:hydreigon: -> B-/B
the only thing this is good for in my experience is checking blacephalon, it can't switch into literally any other notable offensive pokemon in the tier. offensive variants are slower than pult, chomp, weavile, koko, scarf is ok but even then it's extremely prediction reliant and gets chipped by hazards. no way should this be on the same tier as lucha or goltres, and definitely should not be above barraskeweda or dragonite. which sucks because i really love hydreigon power creep really did him dirty

I could probably stan for Morpeko just as religiously as TP does for Terrakion (I've hit mid-1700s with it before), and yet you don't see me trying to posture over everyone else for not recognizing its supposed greatness; that's because it can be used, but it's not realistically ideal to use. The same holds true for Terrakion.

Anyway, some actual nominations:
:haxorus: -> UR
I haven't seen this thing at all in about a year, and it's probably just as well. The litany of Fairies and better Dragons makes it hard for Haxorus to set up DD and sweep, and a lack of STAB on any type besides Dragon ruins any potential it may have to be a wallbreaker.

:magnezone: -> A+
Steels are everywhere nowadays, so being able to trap and dispatch (many of) them is a huge asset for mons that tend to get stopped cold by them. Magnezone isn't a one-stop-fix-all by any means (fuck Heatran), but between Body Press and Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, it can at the very least maim most other Steels enough to set up a KO with something else if not outright KO them itself.

:mandibuzz: -> C+/C
Aside from Dragapult, there's nothing significant that this thing is useful against. It's way too passive, needs to run HDB, and a U-Turn or Knock Off coming off of its popgun-like Attack isn't scaring anything. Roost is annoying, but with the litany of things right now that can hit it super-effectively, it's harder than ever for me to find a convincing reason to use it. There are plenty of other, better Dragapult checks out there.

:magnezone: -> A+
Steels are everywhere nowadays, so being able to trap and dispatch (many of) them is a huge asset for mons that tend to get stopped cold by them. Magnezone isn't a one-stop-fix-all by any means (fuck Heatran), but between Body Press and Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, it can at the very least maim most other Steels enough to set up a KO with something else if not outright KO them itself.
seconding the zone nom, if only because a lot of cheese ladder strats that arent rain boil down so often to "surgically eliminate one steel and let the grassspam/lele sweep" or "poison the ground and let the electric sweep", and magnezone is perfect at doing both. Granted, cheese ladder in the 1600s isnt representative of high ladder, which i don't know a lot about, but i think it's worth noting as part of the overall Smogon Flavour of the Month.

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
have you tried subsalac? lol.

played around with it before and ended up with ok results

raks stab combos really self sufficient anyway, one of its big weaknesses is that it falls to tons of stuff thats faster than it
just tried rock polish + sd + sand and it's actually incredible. I keep it in the back and it's truly a win condition. If the other team has sand that's actually even better. Yall this is great, TY!

btw Tio Chico stop the cap; terrakion in no way required any support and I’m sick of yalls just lying. Magcargo by far had the best take but shit like what you said is really weird..... like no bruv, for those of us that actually use it we have no idea what tf you are on other than them salts. Lastly on that claim, just so you know statements like that without actual backup are worthless; you said it needs so much support without saying why or adding why I, who has no support for it, am fine. Genuinely you just threw that statement out there into the wind to try and create fear, uncertainty, and doubt; for what my guy lol calm down

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496119212-gn4dr6i9h0ezk76svwr4btt4bwhrql2pw

Last edited:
:Terrakion: C -> IDC (I don't care)

This thing sucks. Requires a lot of support, since any form of hazard and residual damage until Volt-Turn-Port. 108 Speed is not consistent for an SD and CB requires a lottery to choose between Stone Edge and Close Combat and another lottery to hit the move if Stone Edge is the former option.
Does it deliver results? Yes. But with the amount of support delivered, other Pokémon can do similar or better.
Does he exploit matchups and devastate some teams? Sometimes. 129 Atk / 108 Speed with decent coverage is not to be ignored (but as I said above, it's not enough, especially for those who are weak to Rillaboom and Rain).
Does he have a good movepool? Yes, Megahorn for Slowbro, Earthquake for Toxapex, Poison Jab for Fini, etc, but 4MSS is real.
Stone Edge is inconsistent, Terrakion is not an easy Pokémon to position and risk a low-precision hit, as Heatran masterfully does.
In the end it's still a little superior compared to some things that are in C, and inferior to others.
So going up, staying or going down in rank is ok for me, while I really appreciate the effort to explore Terrakion, I think I've had enough of it. So I just want to forget that this Pokémon exists for a while.

:Kartana: A -> A+
Now something relevant, Kartana is THE Choice Scarf user in the tier, Kartana defines the speed of the metagame, such as having controlled Hail during Arctozolt's hype. Just requiring minimal support like Magnezone to put huge pressure on the steel bird.
Beast Boost creates a scary snowball, and its movepool is very good, plus non-Scarf options like Band, SD LO and even Speed Boost gimmick and Defog support can be a viable thing as long as it's not forced all the time.
Kartana is flexible and a metagame definition and deserves A+.

agslash23

Banned deucer.
I know that I made a big nom list earlier up on this page,but I wanted to add another mon to that list, and I thought that adding it as a separate nom, instead of editing the OP, would better represent this mon's increasing viability.

:ss/Zeraora: -> A+

Zeraora is one of the best offensive Pokemon in the current metagame, as it enjoys a multitude of recent trends. It may be walled by ground types, but once they are gone, it sweeps almost entirely by itself. It feasts on usual Ground-types partners - Steel-types like Heatran, Ferrothorn, Bulky Water-types like Toxapex, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Flying types like Tornadus-T, Corviknight. Electric-Dark-Fighting is excellent coverage that is unresisted by most of the meta. Also, as it is the second-fastest Pokemon in SS OU outside of Choice Scarf wielders and Weather sweepers, it is great vs Offense too, outspeeding and beating usual speed control options like Dragapult, Weavile while countering Regieleki, who is the only Pokemon with a higher speed stat in OU. It can also survive attacks from Choice Scarfed Revenge Killers like Tapu Lele, Kartana at full health, which isn't too difficult thanks to Heavy Duty Boots and not needing to switch in unnecessarily.

It's not completely passive against opponent ground-types either. It can knock off their items early game to start making some progress. It also appreciates the rise of partners like Air Balloon Eruption Heatran, G-Zapdos, Aqua Tail Garchomp that lure and destroy opponent grounds. Something like Toxic on Ground-types is something else that paves the way for a Bulk Up Sweep late in the game.

Speaking of Bulk Up and Toxic, it can run both very efficiently - Bulk Up turns it into a deadly wincon that is nigh impossible to stop once Ground-types and niche Grass-types like Tangrowth and Amoongus are weakened/removed. Toxic, while rarer, can be used to act as the Ground-type lure itself, which is appreciated by other wincons like Scale Shot Garchomp.

Some experimentations have been done with Choice Band Zeraora too. While it's not as practical as Bulk Up Zeraora, it can be a good, fast wall breaker that could be deadly with Future Sight Support, especially from the resurgent Slowbro thanks to Teleport.

Thus, Zeraora's ability to force progress vs Ground-type adversaries, offensive coverage, elite Speed Control, and thereby its late-game sweeping potential compel me to nominate it to A+ Rank

It's been a while since I did a nom, so Imma put one up I've been working on today.

1642881623122.png

INCINEROAR
UR > C/C-

The VGC legend Incineroar deserves way more love than it gets in the OverUsed tier. It sits completely unranked despite being a great pivot and utility.

1642881835835.png

With a decent defensive spread of 95-90-90 and a good typing in Fire/Dark, Incineroar bolsters some great moves to help support teammates.
Knock Off and Parting Shot are the premiere moves of Incin, able to slap off items and pivot out while weakening opponents to open opportunities for teammates to come in and either set up or just nuke the opponent without much chance to respond.
Checking some really huge threats like :Dragapult: :blacephalon: and :Weavile: and is even able to live a Max Attack Superpower from :Melmetal: and a Sacred Sword from :Kartana:!

Although Smogon sets suggests using a Defensive Pivot variant of Incineroar, I believe times have changed and is very justified using :choice-scarf: to outspeed and either parting shot or even KO some threats! With a Scarf it sneaks pasts the 110s, which means the Lati twins and Gengar get taken out by Knock Off before they know what hits em! As well as beating threats like Kartana whos Sacred Sword nearly kills, now can be outsped for a quick and easy KO with Flare Blitz uninvested!

The exact set I've been running is as follows:

ScarfRoar (Incineroar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 228 Spe + Def, Sp.D, or Atk.
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Roar / U-Turn / Taunt / Close Combat / Darkest Lariat
- Parting Shot

Moveslot #3 is the huge tossup, as it has many moves at its disposal. Roar and U-turn serve the same purpose, messing with Bisharp and Gapdos. They may think they can switch in and get a free +3 from Parting Shot, but Roaring them out to force chip or using a heat double pivot strat and using U-turn to avoid giving boosts catches them off guard and allows the momentum to stay in your favor. Taunt needs no explanation. Close Combat can hit Heatran a little harder and can net the 2HKO if you need the Heatran help, and Darkest Lariat can wipe all Demon Mews off the face of the earth. Good moveset options that I think can all be useful. The alternate EV spread reduces speed to creep the 110s and utilize the extra stat points to either hit harder or bulk hits better. The defense can eat Melmetal and Kart hits better, and guarantee the OHKO from full doesn't happen. Sp.Def guarantees Spec Hydro from Pult doesnt kill along with helping with Shadow Balls, and Attack just lets you hit a little harder with Knock and Flare Blitz.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 89-105 (22.5 - 26.6%) -- 30.4% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 119-141 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 36.3% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 99-120 (25.1 - 30.4%) -- approx. 4HKO
252+ Atk Melmetal Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 338-398 (85.7 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Kartana (Scarfed) Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 276-326 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Incineroar: 348-411 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Incineroar: 316-374 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Incineroar: 337-397 (85.5 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 258-304 (65.4 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Incineroar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 296-350 (93.3 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Incineroar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 284-336 (94.3 - 111.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Incineroar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 356-420 (136.3 - 160.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 414-488 (147.3 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
28 Atk Incineroar Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 190-224 (49.2 - 58%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ferrothorn: 460-544 (130.6 - 154.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 216-254 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
28 Atk Incineroar Darkest Lariat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 212-252 (52.4 - 62.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also got a good chunk of replays that can showcase its usefulness, will probably update with more replays as I get them:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496427976 Fini gets locked into Trick and allows Lele in through Incineroar.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496447088 Incredible Knock Pressure + Clangorous Soul prediction with Roar.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496457071-yzzn9n4etz2n4k4y2rmseylk8cw30a7pw Knock Spam against a very odd team.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496459574-yrkbn9elvsniatusp9zlv75q5l1jzqlpw General Parting Shot pressure + Great clutch at the end.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496464906 More Parting Shot and Knock Off Pressure helping teammates.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496467479 Nerfing Conk with Parting Shot + Getting the Kill on Rotom
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496475280 20.8% from a Blacephalon

Overall please give Incineroar a chance as it serves as a great offensive pivot who can put on tons of pressure by just pivoting or utilizing a STAB Knock Off to do great damage and remove some items from play. At least deserves a mention in the C Ranks.

Edit: Made the change to use HDB over Scarf as suggested. I still prefer Scarf but HDB is actually usable. It loves coming in on Ferrothorn and threatening it out just to parting shot on the incoming swap. It has the bulk to utilize the booties, however I still believe Scarf is better as the ability to outspeed everyone up to 110 is really valuable even if you just end up using parting shot and nothing else.

Last edited:
*snipped*
I think the primary argument against Incineroar in OU has always been its competition from OU's standard Intimidate-pivot-utility-Scarfer: Lord Lando-T. Being a grounded Rocks-weak mon without recovery means it gets worn down much faster than it would like, and realistically Lando-T probably does 90% of what it does while setting Rocks and providing an Electric and Ground immunity. If you add Rocks to most of your defensive calcs, they all look waaaay worse (eg: Weavile's Triple Axel+Rocks is now over half. You can come in twice if you account for Intimidate, but it's not exactly comfortable, especially on a mon that's taking Flare Blitz chip).

So realistically Incineroar only has a niche on teams that don't want Lando-T's typing for some reason and, if you're not using Boots, have excellent hazard control already. But in that case surely you'd take the opportunity to utilise Weavile's Life Orb-boosted power? There are many way better Darks in this tier that mostly make a living out of clicking Knock Off. Incineroar isn't bad, it's just hopelessly outclassed for what it is: a slightly bulky Dark that can pivot while not being hopelessly passive. How much utility it provides is questionable beyond Knock pivot repeat, and being Scarfed locks you into doing one or the other not both. I think this set's results IMO are just down to the age-old testament you can get decent results by slapping an unexpected Scarf on pretty much anything and taking a surprise KO or two.

I know that I made a big nom list earlier up on this page,but I wanted to add another mon to that list, and I thought that adding it as a separate nom, instead of editing the OP, would better represent this mon's increasing viability.

:ss/Zeraora: -> A+

Zeraora is one of the best offensive Pokemon in the current metagame, as it enjoys a multitude of recent trends. It may be walled by ground types, but once they are gone, it sweeps almost entirely by itself. It feasts on usual Ground-types partners - Steel-types like Heatran, Ferrothorn, Bulky Water-types like Toxapex, Slowbro, Tapu Fini, and Flying types like Tornadus-T, Corviknight. Electric-Dark-Fighting is excellent coverage that is unresisted by most of the meta. Also, as it is the second-fastest Pokemon in SS OU outside of Choice Scarf wielders and Weather sweepers, it is great vs Offense too, outspeeding and beating usual speed control options like Dragapult, Weavile while countering Regieleki, who is the only Pokemon with a higher speed stat in OU. It can also survive attacks from Choice Scarfed Revenge Killers like Tapu Lele, Kartana at full health, which isn't too difficult thanks to Heavy Duty Boots and not needing to switch in unnecessarily.

It's not completely passive against opponent ground-types either. It can knock off their items early game to start making some progress. It also appreciates the rise of partners like Air Balloon Eruption Heatran, G-Zapdos, Aqua Tail Garchomp that lure and destroy opponent grounds. Something like Toxic on Ground-types is something else that paves the way for a Bulk Up Sweep late in the game.

Speaking of Bulk Up and Toxic, it can run both very efficiently - Bulk Up turns it into a deadly wincon that is nigh impossible to stop once Ground-types and niche Grass-types like Tangrowth and Amoongus are weakened/removed. Toxic, while rarer, can be used to act as the Ground-type lure itself, which is appreciated by other wincons like Scale Shot Garchomp.

Some experimentations have been done with Choice Band Zeraora too. While it's not as practical as Bulk Up Zeraora, it can be a good, fast wall breaker that could be deadly with Future Sight Support, especially from the resurgent Slowbro thanks to Teleport.

Thus, Zeraora's ability to force progress vs Ground-type adversaries, offensive coverage, elite Speed Control, and thereby its late-game sweeping potential compel me to nominate it to A+ Rank
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ts-in-post-3539.3672210/page-171#post-9089946

I have a whole post dedicated to this for y'all who are curious about my extended thoughts on Zeraora, because I won't go in depth here.
I don't think Zeraora deserves a rise yet. I was originally going to write that post here and nominate Zeraora for a rise to A+, but I changed my mind for two reasons. The first is, we are yet to adapt to the meta trends that are making Zeraora more viable. The second is, Zeraora isn't quite there yet with Pokémon like Kartana and Toxapex when it comes to viability and overall impact on the metagame, in my opinion.
I do think, however, that we should keep an eye on Zeraora in the next few weeks, to see if it establishes itself as a presence that commands the same respect as the other Pokémon in the A+ rank. With Tapu Koko dwindling in usage and new anti-Landorus-T trends going up, the potential for Zeraora to rise is there.

It's been a while since I did a nom, so Imma put one up I've been working on today.

View attachment 400575

INCINEROAR

UR > C/C-

The VGC legend Incineroar deserves way more love than it gets in the OverUsed tier. It sits completely unranked despite being a great pivot and utility.

View attachment 400578

With a decent defensive spread of 95-90-90 and a good typing in Fire/Dark, Incineroar bolsters some great moves to help support teammates.

Knock Off and Parting Shot are the premiere moves of Incin, able to slap off items and pivot out while weakening opponents to open opportunities for teammates to come in and either set up or just nuke the opponent without much chance to respond.

Checking some really huge threats like :Dragapult: :blacephalon: and :Weavile: and is even able to live a Max Attack Superpower from :Melmetal: and a Sacred Sword from :Kartana:!

Although Smogon sets suggests using a Defensive Pivot variant of Incineroar, I believe times have changed and is very justified using :choice-scarf: to outspeed and either parting shot or even KO some threats! With a Scarf it sneaks pasts the 110s, which means the Lati twins and Gengar get taken out by Knock Off before they know what hits em! As well as beating threats like Kartana whos Sacred Sword nearly kills, now can be outsped for a quick and easy KO with Flare Blitz uninvested!

The exact set I've been running is as follows:

ScarfRoar (Incineroar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 228 Spe + Def, Sp.D, or Atk.
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Roar / U-Turn / Taunt / Close Combat / Darkest Lariat
- Parting Shot

Moveslot #3 is the huge tossup, as it has many moves at its disposal. Roar and U-turn serve the same purpose, messing with Bisharp and Gapdos. They may think they can switch in and get a free +3 from Parting Shot, but Roaring them out to force chip or using a heat double pivot strat and using U-turn to avoid giving boosts catches them off guard and allows the momentum to stay in your favor. Taunt needs no explanation. Close Combat can hit Heatran a little harder and can net the 2HKO if you need the Heatran help, and Darkest Lariat can wipe all Demon Mews off the face of the earth. Good moveset options that I think can all be useful. The alternate EV spread reduces speed to creep the 110s and utilize the extra stat points to either hit harder or bulk hits better. The defense can eat Melmetal and Kart hits better, and guarantee the OHKO from full doesn't happen. Sp.Def guarantees Spec Hydro from Pult doesnt kill along with helping with Shadow Balls, and Attack just lets you hit a little harder with Knock and Flare Blitz.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 89-105 (22.5 - 26.6%) -- 30.4% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Incineroar: 119-141 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 36.3% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 99-120 (25.1 - 30.4%) -- approx. 4HKO

252+ Atk Melmetal Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 338-398 (85.7 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Kartana (Scarfed) Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 276-326 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Incineroar: 348-411 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Incineroar: 316-374 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Incineroar: 337-397 (85.5 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Zeraora Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 258-304 (65.4 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Incineroar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 296-350 (93.3 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Incineroar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 284-336 (94.3 - 111.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Incineroar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 356-420 (136.3 - 160.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 414-488 (147.3 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

28 Atk Incineroar Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 190-224 (49.2 - 58%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ferrothorn: 460-544 (130.6 - 154.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 216-254 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

28 Atk Incineroar Darkest Lariat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 212-252 (52.4 - 62.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also got a good chunk of replays that can showcase its usefulness, will probably update with more replays as I get them:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496427976 Fini gets locked into Trick and allows Lele in through Incineroar.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496447088 Incredible Knock Pressure + Clangorous Soul prediction with Roar.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496457071-yzzn9n4etz2n4k4y2rmseylk8cw30a7pw Knock Spam against a very odd team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496459574-yrkbn9elvsniatusp9zlv75q5l1jzqlpw General Parting Shot pressure + Great clutch at the end.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496464906 More Parting Shot and Knock Off Pressure helping teammates.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496467479 Nerfing Conk with Parting Shot + Getting the Kill on Rotom

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1496475280 20.8% from a Blacephalon

Overall please give Incineroar a chance as it serves as a great offensive pivot who can put on tons of pressure by just pivoting or utilizing a STAB Knock Off to do great damage and remove some items from play. At least deserves a mention in the C Ranks.
Scarf Incineroar is interesting due to be faster than Kartana and Blacephalon, which allows it to offer a bulky pivot that can also revenge kill them. However, the replays don't really show the potential of Scarf Incineroar more than they do a showcase of Incineroar's talents.
At that point, my question is: why Scarf over Heavy-Duty Boots? Is the extra speed really worth the hazard support required? I think Incineroar has a lot more potential as a slow pivot with Parting Shot + Will-O-Wisp to cripple foes and especially Defiant users such as Zapdos-G and Bisharp. Knock Off is a mandatory move and then Flare Blitz for that useful Fire STAB.

As for viability, Incineroar has some useful resistances to Ghost, Fire, Dark, Ice, Grass and it's a Psychic immunity neutral to Fairy. With its decent bulk it can definitely be a bulky pivot for some specific teams. I can see some viability in Incineroar despite it's lack of reliable recovery so I can't say I'm against a C- rank, I just do not think Choice Scarf is its best asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)