Resource SS OU DLC2 Viability Ranking Thread [SEE: Page 105, Post 2618]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the reason for Dragonite drop?
Dd sets require shitton of support as they are easily walled and revenge killed due to nite's severe 4MSS while stuff like hail,weav, and fini also risin and usually competing with chomp for that role. Non dd sets are generally passive and give free momentum to too many mons in the tier as it also lacks pivoting too while competing with corv. These reasons make dnite really inconsistent imo as far as I can tell

Last edited:

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
People really like physical victini (I do too), but recently I have been spamming special victini to great success on the ladder (took me to #2). It does suck being walled by blissey, but you can basically guarantee one kill a game based off surprise factor alone, as no one will switch Blissey into Victini before knowing the set.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435109739-3eja2a5sc0ejrftbgk1yu45bbt27kh3pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1436582617-aau0rhl7s6a6a9iakgmqejq9rqpiecopw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1431226947-kcn6f5xqv43j387az2swnna98krwryypw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1430463147-lz7608th4cxtdqrf6czh33bdokv4oq6pw

Wish I had more to show, lots of replays didn't get saved. The last move is pretty interchangeable. Depends on what you need for your team. I have sniped plenty of quagsires/swamperts/gastrodons/seismitoads with energy ball, so I probably like that one the best. Thunder is better for pex/slowtwins/pelipper and Psychic is mostly a more reliable option for Pex if you struggle against it.

Victini @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Glaciate
- Blue Flare
- Scorching Sands
- Energy Ball/Thunder/Psychic
Why sands? Personally I’d like focus blast and then psychic/shock as my last one mainly because tyrantiar is a threat that comes in a lot and it hits both. Energy ball is an interesting one, cycling between that a psychic is fun but thunder is literally for one event (pelipper). Expert belt is cool as well however I prefer assault vest or charcoal.

Why sands? Personally I’d like focus blast and then psychic/shock as my last one mainly because tyrantiar is a threat that comes in a lot and it hits both. Energy ball is an interesting one, cycling between that a psychic is fun but thunder is literally for one event (pelipper). Expert belt is cool as well however I prefer assault vest or charcoal.
Sands hits pex, tran and ttar in one slot, plus 30% burn chance cripples or chips most of its common switchins. Not saying focus blast is bad, its only that sands is a bit more reliable. If you struggle with ttar/hydra, then focus blast is better. The item choice is absolutely free and team-specific. Ebelt gives noticeable power to supereffective coverage moves, making Victini a powerful lure. Shuca, colbur, kasib, passho can be used to lure specific threats. Boots makes it easier to play and fit on hazard stack teams, which special Victini really appreciates as all of its checks but av torn-t are grounded - and even that can be hit and crippled with thunder.
If used with Tapu Lele, I'd use expanding force. Not so good with ebelt due to not hitting many things supereffectively, but it's a very powerful neutral hit that hits quite hard despite victini's low special attack.

clean

is a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
Sands is ran exclusively to hit Heatran. Against anything else you are better off clicking something else, as Sands is pretty weak when it's not 4x effective. Focus Blast can certainly work, I am not a fan of its chance to miss. But yeah, any combination of coverage moves in tandem with Blue Flare/Glaciate work pretty well depending on what you need Victini to accomplish.

I’m glad toad got a raise but I’m still wondering why Barraskewda is a whole letter rank above both Kingdra & Seismitoad. Flip Turn is cool, but dying to chip / prio / static / flame body / any attack isn’t. Also special swift swim is both stronger and more consistent than physical swim (Hydro Pump & Weather Ball outdamage Liquidation due to base power). Not to mention they have vastly superior bulk and can actually dent Slowbro & Toxapex.

I’m glad toad got a raise but I’m still wondering why Barraskewda is a whole letter rank above both Kingdra & Seismitoad. Flip Turn is cool, but dying to chip / prio / static / flame body / any attack isn’t. Also special swift swim is both stronger and more consistent than physical swim (Hydro Pump & Weather Ball outdamage Liquidation due to base power). Not to mention they have vastly superior bulk and can actually dent Slowbro & Toxapex.
I personally think that barraskwda is like not totally reliant on rain to be up. While Kingdra needs rain do even something through out the course of the game. Kingdra has basically null coverage (yes you have hurrriane but idk). Seismetoad sails in the same boat but to a lesser extent as its got defensive typing a ground immunity on rain and has the best coverage out of all the three imo. Barra and toad can easily pair up as they basically defeat their checks for each other. Toad defeats pex, Barra defeats bliss/ferro for toad. Barraskweda has a unique niche as in a physical swift swimmer.
While I do believe that toad is the best swimmer, barra's place in rain is cemented for this gen ( unless you real and use sd drednaw). And barra can always flip whin in doubt that neat unlike kindras flip which does not damage anything relevant.
I am not a good player and my opinion could mean nothing

Thunder Pwoell

Banned deucer.
Sands hits pex, tran and ttar in one slot, plus 30% burn chance cripples or chips most of its common switchins. Not saying focus blast is bad, its only that sands is a bit more reliable. If you struggle with ttar/hydra, then focus blast is better. The item choice is absolutely free and team-specific. Ebelt gives noticeable power to supereffective coverage moves, making Victini a powerful lure. Shuca, colbur, kasib, passho can be used to lure specific threats. Boots makes it easier to play and fit on hazard stack teams, which special Victini really appreciates as all of its checks but av torn-t are grounded - and even that can be hit and crippled with thunder.
If used with Tapu Lele, I'd use expanding force. Not so good with ebelt due to not hitting many things supereffectively, but it's a very powerful neutral hit that hits quite hard despite victini's low special attack.
Oh ya! Definitely team specific, move sets and items lol so many choices you can make you know. I was just curious as to why you’d go for that. My teams tend to flat out ignore rock mons’ existences so that’s why I use fb

Glastrier TTT Rank.png

Noming Glastrier :glastrier:
C->C+

At first I was skeptical at the prospect of using Glastrier, especially outside of trick room. However, after extensive testing, including creating an account named Glastrier TTT dedicated to only playing the team, I've decided that Glastrier actually has amazing potential in pressuring steel types with it's incredible Fighting, Ice, and Ground coverage, and incredible bulk on both sides, to the point where anything barring a STAB Super effective or banded attack is needed to OHKO it.

:Kyurem:
It's also a very effective switch-in to the ever rising Never Melt Ice Kyurem, being resistant to it's main STAB move and shrugging off earth power while threatening to OHKO with Close Combat, and can even tank a choice scarf Kyurem's Focus Blast.

:Slowbro:
It can even defeat the ever rising Slowbro by slotting in Megahorn, getting an opportunity to Swords Dance and defeat it in a single blow. It can also get free turns on Slowbro by using subsitute, given that Slowbro's scald isn't strong enough to break Glastrier's subsitute.

Overall this is a very strong Pokemon, and despite being slow, it's capable of being a massive threat to teams relying heavily on S and A tier Pokemon such as :Landorus-Therian: :Dragapult: :Heatran: :Toxapex: :Ferrothorn: :Kyurem: :Garchomp: etc. It's also a great user of substitute due to the amount switches it forces, and stops the opponent from attempting to intimidate shuffle or fish for burns due to glastrier's bulk, especially behind veil, and can stop slower Pokemon like Hippowdon and Toxapex from clicking Toxic freely.

Finally, I've found it to be an insane abuser of quick claw combined with Subsitute. as it's ability allows it to stack boosts, and it has a strong niche over substitute Mamoswine in it's subsitute being unable to be broken by scald from slowbro, slowking, or Toxapex, giving it a free turn to swords dance up, and it can freely set up swords dance after blocking a status or weak hit, especially under veil.

+2 252+ Atk Glastrier Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 370-436 (105.1 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Glastrier High Horsepower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 262-310 (86.1 - 101.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Glastrier Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 418-494 (106 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Glastrier Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 248-292 (95.7 - 112.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Glastrier Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 340-402 (86.9 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 246-289 (62.7 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 302-356 (77 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 242-288 (61.7 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 204 HP / 0 Def Glastrier: 289-343 (73.7 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 204 HP / 0 Def Glastrier: 263-309 (67 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 204 HP / 0 Def Glastrier: 236-278 (60.2 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Never-Melt Ice Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 89-105 (22.7 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Kyurem Earth Power vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 100-118 (25.5 - 30.1%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 266-314 (67.8 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 79-94 (20.1 - 23.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Glastrier: 49-58 (12.5 - 14.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1435518383-t4yisx3e2wl83jlq8evy1ambmx15h8xpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1436283054-l392rlm2qcqrdyocpl325wz8m6mvjk1pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1436846416-cnv599k5lcgvz3rzjydd33fe6t0ia3ppw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1438074243-io4q49g7y41pp20f3qecmack2uxl6txpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1438084533-giceq1cootdzkdehwajuch0ufcqzra9pw
Edit: Forgot to include the Toxapex sub replay
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1438467894-1j2ulpptv9k276zwnytyldyakxfzpbbpw

Attachments

Last edited:
If nominations are up I would like to nominate a couple things I felt might have been initially overlooked in the last voting sequence. Or, if not overlooked, just something I would like to keep the conversation going for.

:Blacephalon: > A-/A. I would say A- probably fits a little more, but this guy truly is a terror. The clown has amazing speed, amazing STAB, a great moveset, and can be a terror to fully check. His MU's in the meta are grossly in his favor as well. I think he belongs in the A ranks, though I say A- because he does have some flaws like a desperate need for boots and the ability to be forced out by the likes of Fini.

:Aegislash: > B+. Of the 2 ghosts I would like to nominate, Blacephalon is the better. However, Aegislash certainly is no joke. Ghost is still one of the best offensive types in the game and I think slash really speaks for himself when it comes to his movepool. His counters are not that plentiful as his typing and movepool don't really permit that many to begin with. I don't know how much I can say about Slash other than he deserves a bump of recognition.

:Torkoal:/:Venusaur: > C+/B-. I realize B- might be too high a jump here, but I do believe the oft forgotten Sun gimmick is actually stronger than it seems. It's usually overshadowed by other weather teams like Hail and Rain, but I think it has every opportunity to reach those levels with more minds with more experience than I and it's small following working on it, much like Hail eventually did. Venusaur is an absolute god under the sun and things like a Sun boosted V Create from Victini can be devastating. It has some horrible MUs and the overall team might need to be truly worked on, but the potential is there. I could see it rising even higher with a little more love and focus.

That's all I have for now, but I will likely nom more in the future after playing longer

:polteageist: from UR to C

https://pokepast.es/8c29e7356b864647 the set

incredible late game sweeper that requires less setup than you think, capable of destroying anything that isn't a dark type basically. sets up on most fat mons and most special offensive mons, including scarf lele and modest specs kyurem (ice beam does like 98 max so you have to be full hp). it also has the ability to recover usually always 100% hp from strength sap giving it a 2nd life

obviously polteageist has problems against priority moves so i'd argue that lele is an essential partner for it, letting it ignore priority whilst boosting stored power's bp

:kyurem: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist: 216-255 (82.7 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem: 372-438 (95.1 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

:tapu-lele: 252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist in Psychic Terrain: 171-202 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 518-612 (184.3 - 217.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:blacephalon: 252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist: 220-259 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Blacephalon: 710-836 (287.4 - 338.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:blissey: +4 252+ SpA Polteageist Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 732-862 (102.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (2 shell smashes)

:heatran: 0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist: 120-142 (45.9 - 54.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 223-264 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (easy kill after chip on heatran + you can strength sap)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1423591455-s4mz1khq5awn86ewmsjojifq164cmfwpw polteageist lives lele's moonblast with ease then finishes off the last 3 pokes from full

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1423143534-zjd7sqju1pfahn5ydxpqgu9yn6dvljvpw sweep denied by forfeit

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1422980720-fn2m9drl3aavudoc8d19aa69w8t3akupw absolutely rips through stall, including OHKO on 100% blissey

i didn't really save a lot of replays for this team so hopefully others try using polteageist

there are a few other sets which might be worth experimenting with, like replacing stored power with trick+choice scarf or replacing it with psyshock

:polteageist: from UR to C

https://pokepast.es/8c29e7356b864647 the set

incredible late game sweeper that requires less setup than you think, capable of destroying anything that isn't a dark type basically. sets up on most fat mons and most special offensive mons, including scarf lele and modest specs kyurem (ice beam does like 98 max so you have to be full hp). it also has the ability to recover usually always 100% hp from strength sap giving it a 2nd life

obviously polteageist has problems against priority moves so i'd argue that lele is an essential partner for it, letting it ignore priority whilst boosting stored power's bp

:kyurem: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist: 216-255 (82.7 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem: 372-438 (95.1 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

:tapu-lele: 252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist in Psychic Terrain: 171-202 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 518-612 (184.3 - 217.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:blacephalon: 252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist: 220-259 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Blacephalon: 710-836 (287.4 - 338.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:blissey: +4 252+ SpA Polteageist Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 732-862 (102.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (2 shell smashes)

:heatran: 0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Polteageist: 120-142 (45.9 - 54.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
+2 252+ SpA Polteageist Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 223-264 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (easy kill after chip on heatran + you can strength sap)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1423591455-s4mz1khq5awn86ewmsjojifq164cmfwpw polteageist lives lele's moonblast with ease then finishes off the last 3 pokes from full

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1423143534-zjd7sqju1pfahn5ydxpqgu9yn6dvljvpw sweep denied by forfeit

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1422980720-fn2m9drl3aavudoc8d19aa69w8t3akupw absolutely rips through stall, including OHKO on 100% blissey

i didn't really save a lot of replays for this team so hopefully others try using polteageist

there are a few other sets which might be worth experimenting with, like replacing stored power with trick+choice scarf or replacing it with psyshock
I cant agree with this harder. This mon might have one set but boy it dangerous. But c is kinda too high. C - would be fine(btw i tried lo and it ripped everything apart)

Up:

:kyurem: A+ -> S- With the recent discussion on whether or not kyurem is broken, I think it's worth bumping it up to S-. Its specs and subroost sets are both very dangerous and guessing which set it's using wrong can often lead to a loss. It has very few switch ins, and it can play around its checks by freezing them.

:swampert: B- -> B Swampert is and excellent check for heatran. Swampert can switch into heatran, eat a magma storm and either kill it with EQ or escape and chip it for about 35% with flip turn. It also functions as a solid stealth rock setter, and it blocks volt switches from faster pivots like koko and zeroara.

:scizor: A -> A+ Scizor kicks ass. STAB technician bullet punch is excellent, and its priority allows scizor to invest in bulk as opposed to speed, which when paired with roost and SD, gives scizor a great combination of power and longevity. Scizor checks top threats including weavile, kyurem and rillaboom.

Down

:corviknight: A+ -> A- I feel like corvi is too passive to threaten many of the things it checks. Garchomp and scizor set up on it, lando just knocks it off and u-turns. It has defog, but defog is less necessary with how prevalent boots are. Buzzwole checks a lot of the things corvi does, but also has more offensive power to hit back with.

:tangrowth: B -> B- There are just too many good fire types for tangrowth to be effective. There are so many better regen users in the tier.

:pelipper: B -> B- Rain isn't very prominent right now, and it has a lot of bad match ups in the current meta. I haven't seen as much rain on the ladder as I used to, and pelipper's viability is pretty much tied to rain's viability.

:xatu: C- -> UR LOL Xatu

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
:buzzwole: to B+: Buzzwole has been falling off in tournament play recently, and it's fairly easy to see why - it's simply too easy to pivot around for most cores, has a number of hard counters to every set, and hates several trending Pokemon like Slowbro and Victini.

:porygon2: to C-: Already explained this previously.

:blacephalon: to A-: Blacephalon's increasing in usage even further, and it is a great wallbreaker that can overwhelm a lot of conventional Ghost-type checks (mainly its access to Fire-type STAB is important to nuke Weavile and specially defensive Steel-types.) Even the return of Blissey can't really deter it that much, since it can cripple it with Trick to help out teammates.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Up:

:kyurem: A+ -> S- With the recent discussion on whether or not kyurem is broken, I think it's worth bumping it up to S-. Its specs and subroost sets are both very dangerous and guessing which set it's using wrong can often lead to a loss. It has very few switch ins, and it can play around its checks by freezing them.
And Kyurem doesn’t die to pretty much anything depending on how you allocate its EVs. Many super-effective moves could only 3HKO it at best (looking at you Clefable and that weak Moonblast). Ridiculous Pokemon with an annoying as hell ability.

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
gonna give my opinions on some noms

:glastrier: C+

Agreed.
Glastrier is pretty solid right now, and even if it isn’t B- as I have nommed it to before, it’s still a solid threat.

:blacephalon: A/A-

Agree with A-, unsure on A.
Blacephalon is terrifying to fight, since nothing really fully checks it, along with an absolutely great STAB combo. I don’t think A because the Rocks weakness really sucks, but overall it’s good.

:aegislash:
B+

Unsure. I haven’t used Aegislash recently, but it definitely does seem like the worst of the three ghosts right now. However, it seems really annoying to switch into, and it has an amazing typing. Eh, I really don’t care where it goes.

:torkoal: :venusaur: B-/C+

Agree with C+, not B-.
Sun is a really inconsistent playstyle. However, it’s also a really scary playstyle, considering how insane Venusaur is, as well as other shit like Victini and Darmanitan. It’s too inconsistent for the B ranks but C+ is perfectly fine.

:polteageist: C

Unsure, but leaning towards agree. I lose to this thing like constantly on ladder, but yeah it isn’t bad. Really crazy strong after set up.

:kyurem: S-

Unsure. I’ll let other people comment on this one since I am extremely indifferent towards Kyurem. I get where this is coming from though, shit is mad strong and one freeze can win the game.

Edit: I disagree now. Kyurem needs a lot of support to work and it isn't really a staple as much as the other S-tiers.

:swampert: B

Disagree.
Swampert isn’t bad. However, it ain’t good either. It’s niche is becoming more specific, and I only really ever see it on Grass spam, where it’s just alright. It is just the lack of longevity murders it to the point where I can’t really call it B.

:scizor:
A+

DISAGREE. Scizor is definitely not A+. It doesn’t really check a whole lot to really be considered a staple on much, and it doesn’t check such things especially well, and it hates shit like Weavile. Also, Scizor feels pretty passive at times considering that you are always using Roost. Sure, you have the tools to force progress, but it is hard to really do it when you are in Roost range constantly. It also doesn’t like hazards, and it’s pretty easy to just Knock Off it’s Heavy-Duty Boots. Overall, A+ is just a major over exaggeration of Scizor.

:corviknight:
A-

Disagree. Corviknight is still the supreme form of hazard removal, and even if it has fallen off somewhat, A- is still too low for my taste. Buzzwole is definitely not comparable to Corviknight, as Corviknight actually has the special bulk and typing to at least soft check Tapu Lele.

:tangrowth: B-

Agree.
Tangrowth isn’t very good at checking shit because of hazard damage + Regenerator simply not healing enough for it to be a consistent check to much.

:pelipper: B-

Disagree. Pelipper is fine. Rain is also fine. The abusers are straight up nuclear, and Barra is a solid cleaner for the playstyle. Pelipper also has a lot of good benefits as a rain setter (slow pivot, two strong STABs, reliable recovery). I would say this is enough to call rain a B tier playstyle right now.

:xatu:
UR

Disagree. Xatu has a small niche on some stalls as far as I know. Acting as a Heatran check is also pretty neat, even if only a slight check.

:buzzwole: B+

Unfortunately agree.
I love Buzzwole so much, but unfortunately this isn’t the meta for it. Rising mons like Slowbro and Victini are bad for it, every set has some counters. Basically what TailGlow said.

:porygon2: C-

Unsure.
I have seen no one use Porygon2 ever but I feel like it isn’t amazing. Having recovery is really good as a bulky TR setter, and it’s a fat mon. The reliance on its item where Knock Off is so common really hurts however.

I’ll probs get my own noms soon.

Last edited:
Up:

:swampert: B- -> B Swampert is and excellent check for heatran. Swampert can switch into heatran, eat a magma storm and either kill it with EQ or escape and chip it for about 35% with flip turn. It also functions as a solid stealth rock setter, and it blocks volt switches from faster pivots like koko and zeroara.

:scizor: A -> A+ Scizor kicks ass. STAB technician bullet punch is excellent, and its priority allows scizor to invest in bulk as opposed to speed, which when paired with roost and SD, gives scizor a great combination of power and longevity. Scizor checks top threats including weavile, kyurem and rillaboom.

Down

:corviknight: A+ -> A- I feel like corvi is too passive to threaten many of the things it checks. Garchomp and scizor set up on it, lando just knocks it off and u-turns. It has defog, but defog is less necessary with how prevalent boots are. Buzzwole checks a lot of the things corvi does, but also has more offensive power to hit back with.

:tangrowth: B -> B- There are just too many good fire types for tangrowth to be effective. There are so many better regen users in the tier.

:pelipper: B -> B- Rain isn't very prominent right now, and it has a lot of bad match ups in the current meta. I haven't seen as much rain on the ladder as I used to, and pelipper's viability is pretty much tied to rain's viability.

:xatu: C- -> UR LOL Xatu
Have to HARD disagree with a few.
First off Scizor does not need a rise imo. On the contrary, i think it needs to drop to a-.

Pert faces tough competition for water/ground typing. Gastro has two exceptional abilities. Toad swims in rain to its heats content and provides a ground type on rain. Quag albeit dropping by quite a hefty margin it still better than pert on stall. The only way pert differentiates itself is by flip. So it does not deserve a rise, atleast not now.(Also pert has trash abilities)

Rain aint too bad and it fine where is. Imo its the second best weather behind hail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)