Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off / Heat Wave
- Superpower
- U-Turn

I started running this set to lure Blissey, but it just so happens to lure Heatran too.

52 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-Therian Superpower over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 377-447 (97.6 - 115.8%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
kinda, the moves are the same, but the vast majority of skarm don't run this much speed investment since it tends to make it a bit more vulnerable to getting KOd after some chip and worse at taking FS and some resisted special hits, and it really changes the way it plays in two of its worst MUs in heatran and zone. So while I would say the differences between standard skarm and this aren't that large in the numbers department, they change your playstyle by quite a lot, and from firsthand experience I can say that tran switches into skarmory a lot
We all due respect, but this is just wrong. There's a considerable amount of skarm that are running enough speed for timid zone - enough to the point where most tran can't realistically should be scouting to see whether they can even pivot in safely or not. If you're forcing yourself to scout practically every time, then I don't think you can necessarily call it a lure.

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

This isn't the best lure by any means, but it still works out nicely when needed - against teams that rely on Heatran (+ a couple of soft checks), you can take advantage of the fact that its often forced to pivot into it and position yourself for a few free early game kills.

252+ Atk Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 260-306 (67.3 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
We all due respect, but this is just wrong. There's a considerable amount of skarm that are running enough speed for timid zone - enough to the point where most tran can't realistically should be scouting to see whether they can even pivot in safely or not. If you're forcing yourself to scout practically every time, then I don't think you can necessarily call it a lure.

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

This isn't the best lure by any means, but it still works out nicely when needed - against teams that rely on Heatran (+ a couple of soft checks), you can take advantage of the fact that its often forced to pivot into it and position yourself for a few free early game kills.

252+ Atk Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 260-306 (67.3 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I checked the strategy page, the calculator, and the set compendium, and I didn't see 180 speed skarmory on any of those places. The closest was a person on the set compendium advocating for a 176 speed skarmory, which ties this particular heatran, which is quite worse. Timid zone is slower than a 180 speed skarm by 2 points, and faster than this heatran by 1 point, so I assumed that since the closest benchmark I found on here, the amount of skarm running more than 176 is probably not that considerable (especially since most people that dont want to see zone go for shed shell and not speed investment since it doesn't require you to guess and lets you just set spikes and switch out, which is probably more reliably good against zone in particular than playing body press mind games). The new skarmory OU analysis that passed QC also doesn't list any speed evs, even in the other options(it does mention shed shell).
I might also add that from pure anecdotal experience, heatran blind switches into skarm constantly, as it's better to risk a fast body press than let the opponent get extra free spikes because you were scouting with something that can't really hurt skarm(and with prominence of stuff like lando,kart,weav,chomp,clef,pex,watershifu(that just kills itself on the helmet while skarm roosts)... there are non negligibly often teams around that cannot switch into skarm and threaten it outside of heatran, especially if its iron defense). This is purely my anecdotal experience though, and as with all such experience weighs less than the first paragraph.
Well this is the last ill be making a case for skarm, now its up to the leaders to decide whether or not to accept the set.

Windingsss

shine like jewelry
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
:ss/heatran:
Its time to vote! Great submissions this week; but before...
:ss/skarmory:

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Def / 180 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost

this is a pretty standard skarmory set, but the real difference here is the heavy speed investment, which lets it outspeed the heatran and double tap it with body press while it's switching in(and another one because you outspeed), or click iron defense and then OHKO on the next turn. Rocks are nice here for guaranteeing the KO. calcs for both going for double body press and iron defense into body press:

+2 252+ Def Skarmory Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 384-454 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Def Skarmory Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 192-228 (49.7 - 59%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Def Skarmory Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 192-228 (49.7 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Def Skarmory Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 384-454 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock(I know it gets a lefty turn, but it's still guaranteed OHKO). The only thing that is iffy is SD kart, but that is kinda iffy even with full defense investment

As for what you are sacrificing, it's actually not that much. You still wall non mixed chomp, every lando in existence, choiced kartana, every rilla ever... And this spread actually is also faster than fully invested neutral nature magnezone, letting you get a two-for-one lure deal (non iron defense ones just go down, against iron defense you might have to use your sturdy, but probably not since its still a high percent chance to KO it with body press before it gets you).

A great thing to notice is that if everything goes well, skarm will take a grand total of 0 damage from heatran, which means it can just continue playing basically as normal
Sadly, we cannot admit this as a lure to Heatran, since its just Skarm's most common set but with a bit more investment on Speed. I hope you submit something next week, though!

With that out of the way, lets see this week's submissions!!!

:dragapult: Hydro Pump Dragapult by TailGlowVM
:amoonguss: Stomping Tantrum Amoonguss by Dj Breloominati♬
:slowking-galar:Earthquake Slowking Galar by Red Raven
:magnezone: AV Magnezone by Dr Ya Yeet
:grimmsnarl:Stomping Tantrum Grimmsnarl by Contrary Servine
:scizor: Sand Tomb Scizor by agslash23
:clefable: Mental Herb Clefable by NA Weezing
:clefable: CM Focus Blast Clefable by ManooPanoo
:victini:Final Gambit Victini by Tysonslayer
:ferrothorn: Bulldoze Ferrothorn by Lolito
:latios:Earthquake Latios by t045t3r
:mew:Earthquake Mew by Coolcodename
:corviknight: Liechi Berry Corviknight by HydreigonTheChild
:bisharp: Dig Bisharp by Xaviere
:tangrowth:Earthquake Tangrowth by scorbunnys
:victini: Scorching Sands Victini by VTaxi
:slowking-galar: Block Slowking Galar by Mr.Catch
:tornadus-therian:Superpower Tornadus-Therian by Steel With It
:weavile:Low Kick Weavile by curiosity

Phew, those were a lot of submissions! Keep in mind you can only vote for 2 of them. You have two days to vote for your favorite lures. Happy posting! :)

edit: Im an idiot and forgot to say you cannot vote for your own submission, so yeah that's it

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Dig Bisharp and Low Kick Weavile

(Alot of these sets arent actual lures (anymore), since they find themselves in either the updated movesets (hydro pump pult) or a lot of these moves are backslashed, in set details, or at least in the other options section, so ya i go with Dig Bish and Low Kick Weav, they seem to me the best out of the bunch)

Sadly, we cannot admit this as a lure to Heatran, since its just Skarm's most common set but with a bit more investment on Speed. I hope you submit something next week, though!
query, could you please clarify where the line is drawn for how much a normal set can be modified?

choice specs dragapult is dragapults most common set, with hydro pump subbed in as the 4th move..

and that’sonly the first nomination. There’s numerous others that are similar.

I really enjoyed the idea of speed invested skarm, personally. I think it’s one of the better suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)