Project SS OU Teambuilding Competition - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
The voting phase is over! These are the votes:
D>A=B
D>A>C
C>B>D>A
C>A>B>D
A>B=C=D
A>D>B=C
C>A>D>B
C>B>D>A
C>D>A>B
C>A>D>B
C>D>A>B
D>B>C
If we input this here, the winner is team C by lucarioXriley!
Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the archive.

Week 22: Garchomp

Garchomp received a nice tool in Scale Shot this generation and can viably run a wide variety of sets. There are a lot of ways to go about building around this Pokemon, so I'm excited to see what you'll come up with!
You have one week to submit a team featuring Garchomp. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
double taunt + scale shot garchomp hyper offense

:landorus-therian: :tapu koko: :hawlucha: :garchomp: :spectrier: :magearna:

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Spectrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 112 HP / 20 Def / 172 SpA / 20 SpD / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hex
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Electro Ball
- Draining Kiss
- Focus Blast
description: this hyper offense team is built around scale shot garchomp with swords dance + fire blast. lando-t acts as a suicide lead with setting up stealth rocks and to pressure opposing defoggers with rock tomb or explosion which is also great for tapu koko, tapu koko sets the dual-screens and makes it even harder to defog the rocks + screens away with taunt in its last slot, u-turn offers momentum for the rest of the team. hawlucha is a great unburden-sweeper with taunt to disrupt clefable and toxapex recovery-options in soft boiled and recover, it also disrupts toxapex' haze. garchomp has swords dance + scale shot as a pseudo-dragon dance furthermore it has earthquake as a strong ground-stab and fire blast to help dent through ferrothorn. spectrier has sub + calm mind alongside hex and will-o-wisp which is really great vs its usual check in mandibuzz. magearna has leftovers + shift gear with electro ball and draining kiss - leftovers + draining kiss offers longevity during the sweep whereas focus blast hits steel-types like heatran, ferrothorn, magnezone, and melmetal for super effective damage.

352FF886-7102-483F-B285-17808F380A3F.png
DE30C461-61E8-4CEB-AC13-6FE2A6C33FBB.png
4DD6B3C9-D2BD-4C9C-B58B-197A214BDB10.png
8D540586-1783-4EFE-99F8-C17DC5EDFB71.png
BC165E43-D49D-44E3-9B4A-308C48CB08C9.png
F1A91F67-3261-4025-9436-6D0ACC619976.png

SD Chomp + Icy Wind Torn Balance
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Scale Shot

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Icy Wind
- Defog
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Teleport

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Haze
- Recover

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
- Surf

Description: A Balance team centered around SD Chomp featuring Bulky CM Latios and Icy Wind Torn. I needed something for Magearna, Koko, Lele, and Spectrier so I went with Max SpD Tran with Protect followed by Torn to remove hazards. I went with Icy Wind to rkill SD Lando and Chomp after chip since it does more dmg to the offensive grounds without the agonizing accuracy of Hurricane. It also hits Zapdos decently hard and can let it outrun Koko in a pinch. Wishport Clef for checking Chomp and keeping the team alive for longer. SD Chomp and Tran with Wish support is absolutely bonkers. Pex is there for the rain mu and so that we have a solid knock absorber, regen pivot, and Knock support. I needed a wincon but I also needed an emergency check to the offensive grounds and an extra dragon in case Tran gets past Chomp so I went with Bulky CM Latios. CM Latios is ev’d to live even a Modest Specs Mag after hitting it with Mystical Fire at +1.

Tips:

-Torn can live a Hex from Sub-CM Spectrier, if possible, Knock it or Icy Wind it to make it easier for Tran to take care of Spectrier.
-Latios is ev’d to outspeed base 100s, not Garchomp so don’t use it to check Chomp.
-Save Latios for the late game to clean up.
-Keep Clef alive as much as possible, it holds the whole team together with Wish support.
-Lead with Torn or Pex for a free Knock Off.

:latios: :rillaboom: :heatran: :garchomp: :toxapex: :mandibuzz:

Importable

This is the team I used to get urshifu suspect reqs. I decided to go with future sight on latios because I realized that trick specs latios becomes very weak after tricking, so I realized that with future sight, I can still go for combo plays without losing my breaking power. I really wanted to use protect heatran + grassy terrain + toxic because I knew that it would be a strong combination that is difficult to play against. The garchomp set I chose was life orb mixed with rocks since this set can put in a lot of work even with grassy terrain up. Mandibuzz provided me with a defogger and a glue to check various threats. I've been able to deal with a wide variety of playstyles such as rain, stall, balance, bulky offense, hyper offense with this team. The team is overall very standard and self explanatory as a bulky offense build.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
:Moltres: :Ferrothorn: :Toxapex: :Volcanion: :Spectrier: :Garchomp:

Paste

This is a team that I made just for fun and it ended up working. The idea is to send in Volcanion against something that doesn't threaten it and get in a sub, forcing the enemy to attack and give you the chance to kill or maim something. Spectrier is the main sweeper in the team in the event that Garchomp is unable to do it itself. Specially defensive Toxapex combined with my own Spectrier allows me to deal with opposing Spectriers by removing their item, or unless it reveals that it isn't a scarf variant. Moltres serves as a key role as the check to dark Urshifu since it can fish for burns, which would cripple it for the rest of the match or roost stall it if it has been poisoned. This does require hard prediction though as the team has no safe switch ins to it other than Ferrothorn being close combat bait, which allows Moltres to come in. Speaking of Ferrothorn, its role is the hazard setter and the hazard to set would depend on what I want to hit. If Garchomp gets the change to sd up, then something is definitely gonna drop or get maimed

https://pokepast.es/ba5570c3954ef1f0

Ok y'all just made this team for fun and turned out to work pretty well. I like to lead Fini scarf for those pesky landos since most you see aren't scarf anymore it also has ice beam to catch those zaps tryin switch in or trick to cripple such defensive orientated mons. Moltres to defog and for eq resist with mystical fire to fight back against set up mags and scorching sands to go fishing for a burn and for those heatrans. Choice specs koko bc once fini clears out the ground types koko cleans up well with its limited moveset. Pex doin what it does best walling mons knocking items off fishing for a burn or setting up spikes. Scarf krook with moxie super underrated mon can come in knock off items and knock out opposing mons that end up snowballing with its moxie boost and oh yeah also sets up rocks. And finally garchomp with leftovers bc might need a bit of up after the scale shot def drop with swords dance stone edge and eq once it sets up not much can stop it. Hope yall enjoy the team thank you for your time.

Gonna leave a couple replays to show how the team flows

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1258991672-apmu22b8kh6km43rgrhm7e98h4vb67gpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1258999548

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Future Sight

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Roost

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Description: This is a team was built somewhere after Pheromosa's Banned focusing around Stealth Rock Garchomp + Spikes Ferrothorn a really great hazard stacking core that support each other really well with great defensive synergy as well. Zapdos improved Ferrothorn's match up vs Rillaboom and non Giga Impact Kartana , while being to cover against Hawlucha , Excadrill , and soft checking Melmetal as well. Went with Rocky Helmet Slowbro for this team mostly to be able to punish annoying U-Turners even more that want to wear down Slowbro such as Cinderace and Landorus-Therian , while Slowbro worked well for bringing in teammates in with Teleport and Future Sight is a great support to aid even more for Garchomp. Special Defensive Hydreigon's acts as the team's defogger and ghost check for Spectrier , along with checking Heatran and Nidoking better, while being the defogger for the team allowed Zapdos a free move slot and chose U-Turn to avoid getting blocked by the ground types it brings in and a good way to keep momentum in unfavorable matchups. Cinderace round's up the team enjoying the hazard support along with Future Sight in making it more threatening in the field , while forming a nice pivoting core with Zapdos and Slowbro in providing momentum , the coverage choices where Gunk Shot in helping Garchomp against fairies matchup , while deciding to go for Sucker Punch to vastly improve the team's matchup vs Dragapult and Latios since the entire team has a way in pressuring both Heatran and Toxapex already.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
It's time to vote!

Reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission. If you have any questions, by all means, contact me.

And remember, you may vote for as many or as little teams as you want!

Team A by Katy
double taunt + scale shot garchomp hyper offense

:landorus-therian: :tapu koko: :hawlucha: :garchomp: :spectrier: :magearna:

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Spectrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 112 HP / 20 Def / 172 SpA / 20 SpD / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hex
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp

Magearna @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Electro Ball
- Draining Kiss
- Focus Blast
description: this hyper offense team is built around scale shot garchomp with swords dance + fire blast. lando-t acts as a suicide lead with setting up stealth rocks and to pressure opposing defoggers with rock tomb or explosion which is also great for tapu koko, tapu koko sets the dual-screens and makes it even harder to defog the rocks + screens away with taunt in its last slot, u-turn offers momentum for the rest of the team. hawlucha is a great unburden-sweeper with taunt to disrupt clefable and toxapex recovery-options in soft boiled and recover, it also disrupts toxapex' haze. garchomp has swords dance + scale shot as a pseudo-dragon dance furthermore it has earthquake as a strong ground-stab and fire blast to help dent through ferrothorn. spectrier has sub + calm mind alongside hex and will-o-wisp which is really great vs its usual check in mandibuzz. magearna has leftovers + shift gear with electro ball and draining kiss - leftovers + draining kiss offers longevity during the sweep whereas focus blast hits steel-types like heatran, ferrothorn, magnezone, and melmetal for super effective damage.
Team B by 658Greninja
View attachment 305136View attachment 305137View attachment 305138View attachment 305139View attachment 305140View attachment 305141
SD Chomp + Icy Wind Torn Balance
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Scale Shot

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Icy Wind
- Defog
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Teleport

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Haze
- Recover

Latios (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
- Surf

Description: A Balance team centered around SD Chomp featuring Bulky CM Latios and Icy Wind Torn. I needed something for Magearna, Koko, Lele, and Spectrier so I went with Max SpD Tran with Protect followed by Torn to remove hazards. I went with Icy Wind to rkill SD Lando and Chomp after chip since it does more dmg to the offensive grounds without the agonizing accuracy of Hurricane. It also hits Zapdos decently hard and can let it outrun Koko in a pinch. Wishport Clef for checking Chomp and keeping the team alive for longer. SD Chomp and Tran with Wish support is absolutely bonkers. Pex is there for the rain mu and so that we have a solid knock absorber, regen pivot, and Knock support. I needed a wincon but I also needed an emergency check to the offensive grounds and an extra dragon in case Tran gets past Chomp so I went with Bulky CM Latios. CM Latios is ev’d to live even a Modest Specs Mag after hitting it with Mystical Fire at +1.

Tips:

-Torn can live a Hex from Sub-CM Spectrier, if possible, Knock it or Icy Wind it to make it easier for Tran to take care of Spectrier.
-Latios is ev’d to outspeed base 100s, not Garchomp so don’t use it to check Chomp.
-Save Latios for the late game to clean up.
-Keep Clef alive as much as possible, it holds the whole team together with Wish support.
-Lead with Torn or Pex for a free Knock Off.
Team C by eclipseY
:latios: :rillaboom: :heatran: :garchomp: :toxapex: :mandibuzz:

Importable

This is the team I used to get urshifu suspect reqs. I decided to go with future sight on latios because I realized that trick specs latios becomes very weak after tricking, so I realized that with future sight, I can still go for combo plays without losing my breaking power. I really wanted to use protect heatran + grassy terrain + toxic because I knew that it would be a strong combination that is difficult to play against. The garchomp set I chose was life orb mixed with rocks since this set can put in a lot of work even with grassy terrain up. Mandibuzz provided me with a defogger and a glue to check various threats. I've been able to deal with a wide variety of playstyles such as rain, stall, balance, bulky offense, hyper offense with this team. The team is overall very standard and self explanatory as a bulky offense build.
Team D by ForstamemasNeetaroOoniqua
:Moltres: :Ferrothorn: :Toxapex: :Volcanion: :Spectrier: :Garchomp:

Paste

This is a team that I made just for fun and it ended up working. The idea is to send in Volcanion against something that doesn't threaten it and get in a sub, forcing the enemy to attack and give you the chance to kill or maim something. Spectrier is the main sweeper in the team in the event that Garchomp is unable to do it itself. Specially defensive Toxapex combined with my own Spectrier allows me to deal with opposing Spectriers by removing their item, or unless it reveals that it isn't a scarf variant. Moltres serves as a key role as the check to dark Urshifu since it can fish for burns, which would cripple it for the rest of the match or roost stall it if it has been poisoned. This does require hard prediction though as the team has no safe switch ins to it other than Ferrothorn being close combat bait, which allows Moltres to come in. Speaking of Ferrothorn, its role is the hazard setter and the hazard to set would depend on what I want to hit. If Garchomp gets the change to sd up, then something is definitely gonna drop or get maimed
Team E by PKS No Shucks
https://pokepast.es/ba5570c3954ef1f0

Ok y'all just made this team for fun and turned out to work pretty well. I like to lead Fini scarf for those pesky landos since most you see aren't scarf anymore it also has ice beam to catch those zaps tryin switch in or trick to cripple such defensive orientated mons. Moltres to defog and for eq resist with mystical fire to fight back against set up mags and scorching sands to go fishing for a burn and for those heatrans. Choice specs koko bc once fini clears out the ground types koko cleans up well with its limited moveset. Pex doin what it does best walling mons knocking items off fishing for a burn or setting up spikes. Scarf krook with moxie super underrated mon can come in knock off items and knock out opposing mons that end up snowballing with its moxie boost and oh yeah also sets up rocks. And finally garchomp with leftovers bc might need a bit of up after the scale shot def drop with swords dance stone edge and eq once it sets up not much can stop it. Hope yall enjoy the team thank you for your time.

Gonna leave a couple replays to show how the team flows

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1258991672-apmu22b8kh6km43rgrhm7e98h4vb67gpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1258999548
Team F by Tysonslayer

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Future Sight

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Roost

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch

Description: This is a team was built somewhere after Pheromosa's Banned focusing around Stealth Rock Garchomp + Spikes Ferrothorn a really great hazard stacking core that support each other really well with great defensive synergy as well. Zapdos improved Ferrothorn's match up vs Rillaboom and non Giga Impact Kartana , while being to cover against Hawlucha , Excadrill , and soft checking Melmetal as well. Went with Rocky Helmet Slowbro for this team mostly to be able to punish annoying U-Turners even more that want to wear down Slowbro such as Cinderace and Landorus-Therian , while Slowbro worked well for bringing in teammates in with Teleport and Future Sight is a great support to aid even more for Garchomp. Special Defensive Hydreigon's acts as the team's defogger and ghost check for Spectrier , along with checking Heatran and Nidoking better, while being the defogger for the team allowed Zapdos a free move slot and chose U-Turn to avoid getting blocked by the ground types it brings in and a good way to keep momentum in unfavorable matchups. Cinderace round's up the team enjoying the hazard support along with Future Sight in making it more threatening in the field , while forming a nice pivoting core with Zapdos and Slowbro in providing momentum , the coverage choices where Gunk Shot in helping Garchomp against fairies matchup , while deciding to go for Sucker Punch to vastly improve the team's matchup vs Dragapult and Latios since the entire team has a way in pressuring both Heatran and Toxapex already.
The deadline for voting is in 2 days.

Also, this is my 1000th post! :Smogjynx:
I'll probably post an RMT or so after SPL to commemorate that.

Ruft

OU Leader
The voting phase is over! These are the votes:
A>B>C>D>E>F
F>A>C>B=E>D
E>D>C>A>B>F
A>B>C>F>E>D
C>B>F>E>A>D
If we input this here, the winner is team A by Katy!
Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the archive.

Week 23: Obstagoon

With the departure of Urshifu-S, Obstagoon has been hyped up as an alternative Dark-type wallbreaker, as it doubles as a very solid check to Spectrier. You have one week to submit a team featuring Obstagoon. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
bulk up obstagoon + choice specs tapu lele bulky offense

:mamoswine: :tornadus-therian: :obstagoon: :tapu lele: :kartana: :rotom-wash:
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Defog

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Gunk Shot

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
description: mamoswine is the stealth rock setter, which can threaten alot of common stealth rock-setters and hazard-removers alike with its strong dual stab combination in ice/ground. tornadus-t is the defogger on this team with heat wave to hit ferrothorn for huge damage, and to further hit magearna and kartana. u-turn provides and creates momentum for the team and defog helps with getting rid of opposing entry hazards. obstagoon is the star of this team with a adamant nature and bulk up, as with adamant nature on +1 obstagoon has a chance to ohkoe clefable and tapu fini with gunk shot. tapu lele has choice specs attached to hit like a truck with its dual stab and its coverage in focus blast to dent through melmetal, heatran and ferrothon. kartana is the choice scarf user and speed control with 4 attacking slots in its stab leaf blade and smart strike, and its coverage in sacred sword and knock off, whereas rotom-wash gives this team a reliable heatran switch-in with volt switch and hydro pump, pain split increases its longevity in conjunction with leftovers and will-o-wisp cripples a lot of pokemon in the tier.

sidenotes:
in overall an obstagoon + tapu lele core can work pretty well as obstagoon cancels out the weakness to ghost-types such as spectrier and tapu lele can help with strong fighting-types or fighting coverage aimed at obstagoon, so theyre a strong duo in the current metagame. the same could be said about kartana and rotom-wash as rotom-wash helps with strong ground- and fire-types which kartana appreciates, whereas kartana deals with swampert reliably which rotom-wash has trouble taking on.

conclusion: this team is built with canceling each others pokemon weakness out but with staying pretty offensive and straightforward with underrated threats such as mamoswine which threatens most common stealth rockers and also defoggers in the ou-tier alike. and strong backup pokemon in choice item-boosted pokemon in tapu lele and kartana.

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
Obstagoon & Cinderace Future Sight + WishPort
:obstagoon::cinderace::clefable::slowking::corviknight::landorus-therian:
https://pokepast.es/f2f695db170794c1

hi so i want to preface this that this round is super hard cause goon is actually super meh to build with, it feels even more limiting than some of the other spect checks out there due to the fact it actually needs a lot of support (wish/fs/spikes/voltturn). While you dont need every single thing i mentioned, you need to have some sort of combination of them.

i started with the standard goon set, not much to explain, self proclaimed "best spect check and urshifu replacement". at this point i wanted to pair something offensive with it as I kinda knew already where i was going defensively with this team. settled on broken my ace, found out it actually pairs fairly nicely with with obstagoon. cinderace deletes fairies with gunk shot (clefable probably obstagoons best check off the top of my head) and then deletes steel types using pyro ball, removing anything that resists obstagoon's stabs. also packing u turn to provide momentum for goon & hjk in case you run into like ttar which still resists both of the stabs. decided wish was super important cause goon literally kills itself in like 3 turns between hazards & orb burn (sometimes taking a helmet) so i added the only viable wish user. wishport allows for even more momentum and ways to get into goon safely. clefable also happens to resist bug and fighting types, two types goon is weak to. considering at this point i have two breakers and volt turn, without a water resist, i decided on slowking. slowking provides future sight which is broken with two breakers, teleport cause you know why, and a check to waters, tran (which slightly annoys this due to the fire / steel type), pex check (fs + goon), nido check, and just being overall helpful scalding a lot of things i havent mentioned.

at this point noticed 4 things; no steel type, no ground type, no defog, no rocks. so i slotted in corv and lando. after further testing i found this to be the best combo of mons i could come up with. corv can provide defog & u turn while checking rilla and kartana mainly as well as psychic types (like the rising lele). corv probably checks more than i named but im just listing what comes up in my brain. landot provides rocks, broken move knock off and once again u turn. landot can soft check cinderace which can shut it down in conjunction with intimidate and other mons on the team. it shuts down koko & leki with the ground typing, it checks driller and chomp.

off the top of my head gear and melm look annoying but theyre manageable. body press > bb might remedy this a bit however you do lose effectiveness vs rillaboom which i dont think is worth it. specs kyurem looks annoying but specs kyurem is always annoying for any team. another thing that comes to mind is volcarona but like nobody uses that thing anymore so it should be fine (over-exaggeration for sure, if youre that worried about it use sucker ace and pressure it insanely early game).

enjoy team, i havent really built since gen7 and im starting to get back into it but this was a fun challenge to do despite how bad i think obstagoon is.​

Obstagoon Future Sight w/ Spikes Ferrothorn
:obstagoon: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :ferrothorn: :slowking: :tornadus-therian:

Click this for the team importable!

Decided to build an Obstagoon team on a whim, and also because I'm tired of getting wrecked on low to mid ladder, so here goes!
Note: Most EV spreads have been explained in the team's PokePaste description. If they are vague, or are unexplained, it's because even I don't know what they do and have been stolen. :psysly:

The basic idea of this team is to pair Obstagoon and Future Sight to punch holes, and eventually force KOs with Spikes support from Ferrothorn.

Switcheroo on Obstagoon can help it cripple opposing mons with a burn, and accumulate chip on them atleast, if not also crippling their offensive capabilities. In return, Obstagoon potentially receives Leftovers to negate the burn damage from the Flame Orb, or Heavy Duty Boots to negate hazard chip, in a best case scenario.

Ferrothorn carries Thunder Wave to cripple defoggers or other offensive mon seeking to take advantage of it, in turn improving Obstagoon's overall speed tier in the match up, and carries Body Press to deal with the rare but lethal Bisharp.

Lefties Fat Landorus-T allows the team to take hits from Cinderace and other physical attackers, while providing Stealth Rocks support, and maintains momentum with U-Turn. Landorus-T also carries Toxic, because for some reason, people love switching Landorus-T into Landorus-T, and getting rid of opposing Intimidate is also great for Guts Obstagoon to wreak havoc. Also great for just catching other random flying/levitating things and putting them on a timer.

SpDef. Heatran acts as the dedicated Volcarona switch-in on the team (without it, this team gets wrecked by Volcarona), and can potentially eliminate a pesky mon with Magma Storm and Taunt. Heatran can also potentially eliminate an opposing Heatran by catching it with Earth Power, and that's almost always good for the game.

We have a secondary Special soaker in Slowking, which acts as a Nidoking check, a secondary fire resist, and provides Future Sight support to help Obstagoon break through physical walls, and can help shift momentum in the game with a timely Teleport.

Tornadus-T provides speed control, Knock Off support, and forms a nice Regenerator core with Slowking to lend the team some longevity.

Most mons on the team also have moves that can pivot and help bring Obstagoon in to force some massive damage once the Flame Orb is activated, through its attacks (plus Future Sight), Spikes, or both.

Figured I'd just paste the Rate My Team one I posted a while ago:

Obstagoon + Spikes + FuturePort + Scarf Lati

https://pokepast.es/0a3488906c341839

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Switcheroo

Facade plows through anything that doesn't resist it, while knock hits really hard and displaces items against targets. Close Combat is useful coverage for certain mons that resist the STAB combo or resist normal and don't have an item like Ttar, Bishrap and Ferro. Switcheroo is great to cripple mons that try to switch in and take a hit, or if you're cheeky and feel like stealing Leftovers which prevents the burn from wearing him down. I find Jolly to be much better than Adamant, as it allows him to outspeed (and nuke) Nidoking, Suicune, Rillaboom, Excadrill and Lando. Outspeeding Lando is especially since since Knock Off into Facade is guaranteed to kill Scarf Lando.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- Spikes
- Toxic

Needed someone to lay Spikes and using Ferro seems a bit too boring, so I went with Skarmory. Fully physically defensive to handle the grassy bois and other annoying threats like Bisharp (survives +2 knock off and 0HKOs with Body Press). Rocky Helmet provides really useful chip and punishes U-Turns. Body Press prevents him from being passive against quite a few mons, and Future Sight + Body Press is surprisingly potent. Toxic is great for punishing common Defoggers like Zapdos, Lando, etc.

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Scald

Standard FuturePort bro, not much to say. Pairs with Skarmory very well to handle most physical threats in the metagame. A great pivot in general as it a pseudo-status absorber and knock off sponge, and allows Obstagoon, Chomp and Latios come in safely. I do not like Boots on Slowbro as chipping broken Cinderace when it U-Turns is essential, while also being useful for Melmetal.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Trick

Scarf provides with an excellent speed tier, while hitting really hard because of its naturally high special attack. This allows to be a great revenge killer and late-game cleaner due to Psychic hitting surprisingly hard and Obstagoon greatly weakening durable steels for Latios to sweep. Gets to defog very often due to how much it threatens especially when its coverage options aren't known (bluffing mystical fire against Ferro, etc.). Trick is really useful cripple setup sweepers or defensive mons when you know the Scarf isn't needed anymore. Outspeeding Venasaur and Dracozolt in their respective weathers is also an excellent strength.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Really useful pivot into a variety of special attacks with its absurd special bulk and coverage options. Fleur Cannon hits amazingly hard even without investment, with Volt Switch to grab momentum (and also bluff specs against Lando then kill it with Ice Beam as it proceeds to set rocks up). Iron Head and the speed EVs are to beat Clefable and a tricked setup Magearna. Acts as a great secondary Spectrier check and can make great progress in many matchups, depending on how good your predictions are. Spikes are its biggest enemy though, so preventing them from going or aggressive doubles with Lati to Defog are needed.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Classic set, great at keeping rocks up and punching holes in opposing defensive cores with SD. Also a decent Heatran switch-in since the rest of the team hates it. Deadly even without an SD boost as Life Orb Earthquake can put Clefable and Tapu Fini in Latios Psychic Range.

Obstagoon Sand Bulky Offense

I’ve used Obstagoon a lot recently, including for getting reqs so might as well post my current team with it. I didn’t build it specifically around Obstagoon, the role compression of breaker + Spectrier check just made it a valuable addition to this team.

The Team:

:obstagoon::slowking-galar: :dracozolt: :hippowdon: :volcanion: :corviknight:

https://pastebin.com/3cnvBpu8
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Defog

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Scald
- Future Sight

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up

Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Weather Ball

The Obstagoon set I used is Bulk Up + CC, which is imo the best set, especially on teams like this where Goon is the primary breaker. Bulk Up helps you get past Corviknight (+1 Knock into +1 CC has a very high chance of killing even Max Def and +1 Def prevents it from one-shotting you with Body Press) and Ferrothorn.

Hippo is SpDef, which helps a lot vs threats like Magearna, Heatran, Nidoking w/o Ice Beam or Zapdos and catches a lot of ppl off guard who expect it to be PhysDef. You need to be careful switching it into Cinderace though. Dracozolt is the main cleaner / sweeper, underrated threat that many ppl underprep for. Spread is focused on making Bolt Beak as powerful as possible, Fire Blast + Draco as coverage for Lando/Chomp and Ferro.

Volcanion is another underrated mon with a good offensive + defensive presence, main reason I used it on this team is as water / fire / ice resist, the water immunity is especially helpful vs rain match-ups. The immunity & ability to pressure Ground + Grass types for Dracozolt makes it a great parter for the Sand Core. Especially Lando-T is something you can take advantage of with Volcanion, even with Jolly Max Attack EQ doesn’t kill from full, so at high health you can always stay in on Lando and just fire off attacks. Many are hesitant to EQ against a team with Corv anyways and if they stay in to Knock / Rocks, you’re a big step closer to sweeping with Dracozolt. I tech’d on Weather Ball as additional insurance against Volcarona, because Sludge Bomb for Fini seemed like a waste with G-Slowking on the team.

Speaking of Slowking, it’s just a standard AV set, that in combination with SpDef Hippo can deal with pretty much all Magearna, it also checks stuff like Lele and Fini and can support the breakers by setting up Future Sights.

Corviknight rounds off the team as a defensive answer to Ground types & hazard control. The set is more unconventional with Iron Defense + Body Press and no U-Turn but it is my fav Corv set right now. Iron Defense makes Corviknight into an actual counter for a lot of stuff that thinks it can just set up in its face (SD Chomp, Lando or Kart), also allows it to beat Cinderace once you get an Iron Defense up, doesn't get as easily annoyed by Ferro and even has the potential to sweep late game once you got rid of the defensive answers or special attackers that could have beaten this set.

Overall this team allows you to play both defensively or more aggressively depending on the match-up / situation you’re in and utilizes some underrated and fun mons / sets, which (for me) is the most important part :]

Last edited:

Ruft

OU Leader
Voting time!

Reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission. If you have any questions, by all means, contact me.

And remember, you may vote for as many or as little teams as you want!

Team A by Katy
bulk up obstagoon + choice specs tapu lele bulky offense

:mamoswine: :tornadus-therian: :obstagoon: :tapu lele: :kartana: :rotom-wash:
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Defog

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Gunk Shot

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
description: mamoswine is the stealth rock setter, which can threaten alot of common stealth rock-setters and hazard-removers alike with its strong dual stab combination in ice/ground. tornadus-t is the defogger on this team with heat wave to hit ferrothorn for huge damage, and to further hit magearna and kartana. u-turn provides and creates momentum for the team and defog helps with getting rid of opposing entry hazards. obstagoon is the star of this team with a adamant nature and bulk up, as with adamant nature on +1 obstagoon has a chance to ohkoe clefable and tapu fini with gunk shot. tapu lele has choice specs attached to hit like a truck with its dual stab and its coverage in focus blast to dent through melmetal, heatran and ferrothon. kartana is the choice scarf user and speed control with 4 attacking slots in its stab leaf blade and smart strike, and its coverage in sacred sword and knock off, whereas rotom-wash gives this team a reliable heatran switch-in with volt switch and hydro pump, pain split increases its longevity in conjunction with leftovers and will-o-wisp cripples a lot of pokemon in the tier.

sidenotes: in overall an obstagoon + tapu lele core can work pretty well as obstagoon cancels out the weakness to ghost-types such as spectrier and tapu lele can help with strong fighting-types or fighting coverage aimed at obstagoon, so theyre a strong duo in the current metagame. the same could be said about kartana and rotom-wash as rotom-wash helps with strong ground- and fire-types which kartana appreciates, whereas kartana deals with swampert reliably which rotom-wash has trouble taking on.

conclusion: this team is built with canceling each others pokemon weakness out but with staying pretty offensive and straightforward with underrated threats such as mamoswine which threatens most common stealth rockers and also defoggers in the ou-tier alike. and strong backup pokemon in choice item-boosted pokemon in tapu lele and kartana.
Team B by Baloor
Obstagoon & Cinderace Future Sight + WishPort
:obstagoon::cinderace::clefable::slowking::corviknight::landorus-therian:
https://pokepast.es/f2f695db170794c1

hi so i want to preface this that this round is super hard cause goon is actually super meh to build with, it feels even more limiting than some of the other spect checks out there due to the fact it actually needs a lot of support (wish/fs/spikes/voltturn). While you dont need every single thing i mentioned, you need to have some sort of combination of them.

i started with the standard goon set, not much to explain, self proclaimed "best spect check and urshifu replacement". at this point i wanted to pair something offensive with it as I kinda knew already where i was going defensively with this team. settled on broken my ace, found out it actually pairs fairly nicely with with obstagoon. cinderace deletes fairies with gunk shot (clefable probably obstagoons best check off the top of my head) and then deletes steel types using pyro ball, removing anything that resists obstagoon's stabs. also packing u turn to provide momentum for goon & hjk in case you run into like ttar which still resists both of the stabs. decided wish was super important cause goon literally kills itself in like 3 turns between hazards & orb burn (sometimes taking a helmet) so i added the only viable wish user. wishport allows for even more momentum and ways to get into goon safely. clefable also happens to resist bug and fighting types, two types goon is weak to. considering at this point i have two breakers and volt turn, without a water resist, i decided on slowking. slowking provides future sight which is broken with two breakers, teleport cause you know why, and a check to waters, tran (which slightly annoys this due to the fire / steel type), pex check (fs + goon), nido check, and just being overall helpful scalding a lot of things i havent mentioned.

at this point noticed 4 things; no steel type, no ground type, no defog, no rocks. so i slotted in corv and lando. after further testing i found this to be the best combo of mons i could come up with. corv can provide defog & u turn while checking rilla and kartana mainly as well as psychic types (like the rising lele). corv probably checks more than i named but im just listing what comes up in my brain. landot provides rocks, broken move knock off and once again u turn. landot can soft check cinderace which can shut it down in conjunction with intimidate and other mons on the team. it shuts down koko & leki with the ground typing, it checks driller and chomp.

off the top of my head gear and melm look annoying but theyre manageable. body press > bb might remedy this a bit however you do lose effectiveness vs rillaboom which i dont think is worth it. specs kyurem looks annoying but specs kyurem is always annoying for any team. another thing that comes to mind is volcarona but like nobody uses that thing anymore so it should be fine (over-exaggeration for sure, if youre that worried about it use sucker ace and pressure it insanely early game).

enjoy team, i havent really built since gen7 and im starting to get back into it but this was a fun challenge to do despite how bad i think obstagoon is.​
Team C by infinitemugen99
Obstagoon Future Sight w/ Spikes Ferrothorn
:obstagoon: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :ferrothorn: :slowking: :tornadus-therian:

Click this for the team importable!

Decided to build an Obstagoon team on a whim, and also because I'm tired of getting wrecked on low to mid ladder, so here goes!
Note: Most EV spreads have been explained in the team's PokePaste description. If they are vague, or are unexplained, it's because even I don't know what they do and have been stolen. :psysly:

The basic idea of this team is to pair Obstagoon and Future Sight to punch holes, and eventually force KOs with Spikes support from Ferrothorn.

Switcheroo on Obstagoon can help it cripple opposing mons with a burn, and accumulate chip on them atleast, if not also crippling their offensive capabilities. In return, Obstagoon potentially receives Leftovers to negate the burn damage from the Flame Orb, or Heavy Duty Boots to negate hazard chip, in a best case scenario.

Ferrothorn carries Thunder Wave to cripple defoggers or other offensive mon seeking to take advantage of it, in turn improving Obstagoon's overall speed tier in the match up, and carries Body Press to deal with the rare but lethal Bisharp.

Lefties Fat Landorus-T allows the team to take hits from Cinderace and other physical attackers, while providing Stealth Rocks support, and maintains momentum with U-Turn. Landorus-T also carries Toxic, because for some reason, people love switching Landorus-T into Landorus-T, and getting rid of opposing Intimidate is also great for Guts Obstagoon to wreak havoc. Also great for just catching other random flying/levitating things and putting them on a timer.

SpDef. Heatran acts as the dedicated Volcarona switch-in on the team (without it, this team gets wrecked by Volcarona), and can potentially eliminate a pesky mon with Magma Storm and Taunt. Heatran can also potentially eliminate an opposing Heatran by catching it with Earth Power, and that's almost always good for the game.

We have a secondary Special soaker in Slowking, which acts as a Nidoking check, a secondary fire resist, and provides Future Sight support to help Obstagoon break through physical walls, and can help shift momentum in the game with a timely Teleport.

Tornadus-T provides speed control, Knock Off support, and forms a nice Regenerator core with Slowking to lend the team some longevity.

Most mons on the team also have moves that can pivot and help bring Obstagoon in to force some massive damage once the Flame Orb is activated, through its attacks (plus Future Sight), Spikes, or both.
Team D by AtlantisBreloom
Figured I'd just paste the Rate My Team one I posted a while ago:

Obstagoon + Spikes + FuturePort + Scarf Lati

https://pokepast.es/0a3488906c341839

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Switcheroo

Facade plows through anything that doesn't resist it, while knock hits really hard and displaces items against targets. Close Combat is useful coverage for certain mons that resist the STAB combo or resist normal and don't have an item like Ttar, Bishrap and Ferro. Switcheroo is great to cripple mons that try to switch in and take a hit, or if you're cheeky and feel like stealing Leftovers which prevents the burn from wearing him down. I find Jolly to be much better than Adamant, as it allows him to outspeed (and nuke) Nidoking, Suicune, Rillaboom, Excadrill and Lando. Outspeeding Lando is especially since since Knock Off into Facade is guaranteed to kill Scarf Lando.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Body Press
- Spikes
- Toxic

Needed someone to lay Spikes and using Ferro seems a bit too boring, so I went with Skarmory. Fully physically defensive to handle the grassy bois and other annoying threats like Bisharp (survives +2 knock off and 0HKOs with Body Press). Rocky Helmet provides really useful chip and punishes U-Turns. Body Press prevents him from being passive against quite a few mons, and Future Sight + Body Press is surprisingly potent. Toxic is great for punishing common Defoggers like Zapdos, Lando, etc.

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Scald

Standard FuturePort bro, not much to say. Pairs with Skarmory very well to handle most physical threats in the metagame. A great pivot in general as it a pseudo-status absorber and knock off sponge, and allows Obstagoon, Chomp and Latios come in safely. I do not like Boots on Slowbro as chipping broken Cinderace when it U-Turns is essential, while also being useful for Melmetal.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Trick

Scarf provides with an excellent speed tier, while hitting really hard because of its naturally high special attack. This allows to be a great revenge killer and late-game cleaner due to Psychic hitting surprisingly hard and Obstagoon greatly weakening durable steels for Latios to sweep. Gets to defog very often due to how much it threatens especially when its coverage options aren't known (bluffing mystical fire against Ferro, etc.). Trick is really useful cripple setup sweepers or defensive mons when you know the Scarf isn't needed anymore. Outspeeding Venasaur and Dracozolt in their respective weathers is also an excellent strength.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Really useful pivot into a variety of special attacks with its absurd special bulk and coverage options. Fleur Cannon hits amazingly hard even without investment, with Volt Switch to grab momentum (and also bluff specs against Lando then kill it with Ice Beam as it proceeds to set rocks up). Iron Head and the speed EVs are to beat Clefable and a tricked setup Magearna. Acts as a great secondary Spectrier check and can make great progress in many matchups, depending on how good your predictions are. Spikes are its biggest enemy though, so preventing them from going or aggressive doubles with Lati to Defog are needed.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Classic set, great at keeping rocks up and punching holes in opposing defensive cores with SD. Also a decent Heatran switch-in since the rest of the team hates it. Deadly even without an SD boost as Life Orb Earthquake can put Clefable and Tapu Fini in Latios Psychic Range.
Team E by Flexxen
Obstagoon Sand Bulky Offense

I’ve used Obstagoon a lot recently, including for getting reqs so might as well post my current team with it. I didn’t build it specifically around Obstagoon, the role compression of breaker + Spectrier check just made it a valuable addition to this team.

The Team:

:obstagoon::slowking-galar: :dracozolt: :hippowdon: :volcanion: :corviknight:

https://pastebin.com/3cnvBpu8
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Defog

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Scald
- Future Sight

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up

Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Weather Ball

The Obstagoon set I used is Bulk Up + CC, which is imo the best set, especially on teams like this where Goon is the primary breaker. Bulk Up helps you get past Corviknight (+1 Knock into +1 CC has a very high chance of killing even Max Def and +1 Def prevents it from one-shotting you with Body Press) and Ferrothorn.

Hippo is SpDef, which helps a lot vs threats like Magearna, Heatran, Nidoking w/o Ice Beam or Zapdos and catches a lot of ppl off guard who expect it to be PhysDef. You need to be careful switching it into Cinderace though. Dracozolt is the main cleaner / sweeper, underrated threat that many ppl underprep for. Spread is focused on making Bolt Beak as powerful as possible, Fire Blast + Draco as coverage for Lando/Chomp and Ferro.

Volcanion is another underrated mon with a good offensive + defensive presence, main reason I used it on this team is as water / fire / ice resist, the water immunity is especially helpful vs rain match-ups. The immunity & ability to pressure Ground + Grass types for Dracozolt makes it a great parter for the Sand Core. Especially Lando-T is something you can take advantage of with Volcanion, even with Jolly Max Attack EQ doesn’t kill from full, so at high health you can always stay in on Lando and just fire off attacks. Many are hesitant to EQ against a team with Corv anyways and if they stay in to Knock / Rocks, you’re a big step closer to sweeping with Dracozolt. I tech’d on Weather Ball as additional insurance against Volcarona, because Sludge Bomb for Fini seemed like a waste with G-Slowking on the team.

Speaking of Slowking, it’s just a standard AV set, that in combination with SpDef Hippo can deal with pretty much all Magearna, it also checks stuff like Lele and Fini and can support the breakers by setting up Future Sights.

Corviknight rounds off the team as a defensive answer to Ground types & hazard control. The set is more unconventional with Iron Defense + Body Press and no U-Turn but it is my fav Corv set right now. Iron Defense makes Corviknight into an actual counter for a lot of stuff that thinks it can just set up in its face (SD Chomp, Lando or Kart), also allows it to beat Cinderace once you get an Iron Defense up, doesn't get as easily annoyed by Ferro and even has the potential to sweep late game once you got rid of the defensive answers or special attackers that could have beaten this set.

Overall this team allows you to play both defensively or more aggressively depending on the match-up / situation you’re in and utilizes some underrated and fun mons / sets, which (for me) is the most important part :]
The deadline for voting is in 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)