Project SS OU Teambuilding Competition - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melm Balance Build - Just Fairy Water Steel with Breakers

https://pokepast.es/b1b32cbed9fb521e

Clef for usual teleport shenanigans and draco insurance

Ada Scarf Vish ties base 120 so decent speed tier and deals significant damage to common defensive cores
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 94-111 (30.9 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Rotom Heat for yeeting opposing steels
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 98-116 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Can toast toads in a pinch
+2 252 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Seismitoad: 230-271 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Melm and Conk are pretty self explanatory
Simple yet effective

Only problem so far is water absorb mons consider grass knot on Clef
Fairly prediction reliant

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
It's time to vote! Not too many submissions but I suppose that makes sense considering the ongoing suspect test.

Friendly reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. If you have any questions about this system, by all means, contact me or lyd.

And remember, you may vote for as many or as little teams as you want.

Team A by Acey - Danse Macabre
View attachment 236121View attachment 236122View attachment 236123 View attachment 236124 View attachment 236125 View attachment 236126

So, my first thought when Melmetal came out was to finally try him on trick room since I never got to before. Melmetal and Conk can really rough up offence teams due to how hard it is for them to switch into attacks, so I thought mons like those paired together would be the perfect way to make trick room viable. So thats basically the idea, troom setters and then breakers in Conk Mel and Hatterene too. Pretty simple. However I found fat cores hard to beat, common clef/corv/pex/hippo teams, but I noticed those teams often lack a dark type (some mandibuzz variants exist, but no corv means mel can go a bit harder) and I found DD reuni to be a great way of just beating those teams down.

For what its worth, this team got me to like 1850 before I started tilting, so it works better than some low ladder gimmick.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/892039a89dcaa0e5
Team B by Taerim

team formed taking the base with Melmetal. At first glance it is clear that it is a slow mon but with great potential. Great HP / attack and base defense boost. In everything else it loosens a little but not everything is perfect. Well, to make a brief summary, the main idea was a somewhat balanced team with offensive things to have a little speed and defense that would cover itself as much as possible against common threats. Mew seemed interesting to me for that spam fight that our protagonist suffers from. Nasty Plot + Clefable with Teleport is fire. Mandibuzz as my Defog user and resistance to dark ghost. Taking into account that I already have a Corviknight steel, it is discarded. Specs Dragapult combined with Cb Mel can be attractive to watch. Ferro to have another resistance to fairies and my hole to play with a move as important as SR.

Melmetal @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Agility

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
Team C by 7*Red
Melm Balance Build - Just Fairy Water Steel with Breakers

https://pokepast.es/b1b32cbed9fb521e

Clef for usual teleport shenanigans and draco insurance

Ada Scarf Vish ties base 120 so decent speed tier and deals significant damage to common defensive cores
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 94-111 (30.9 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Rotom Heat for yeeting opposing steels
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 98-116 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Can toast toads in a pinch
+2 252 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Seismitoad: 230-271 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Melm and Conk are pretty self explanatory
Simple yet effective

Only problem so far is water absorb mons consider grass knot on Clef
Fairly prediction reliant
The deadline for voting is Monday.

Alright, the voting phase is over! These are the votes:
B>C>A
A>B=C
B>A>C
B>A=C
For the sake of transparency I used this site to calculate the winner using the ballots above, the winner is thus Team B by Taerim. Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the archive soon.

Week 5: Terrakion
Zeraora.png

This week you'll be building around Terrakion. You have until next Sunday to post your teams. Good luck!​

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
:Terrakion: | :Clefable: | :Rotom-Heat: | :Ferrothorn: | :Mandibuzz: | :Dragapult:

Import
This is a pretty standard Terrakion build, but it is effective nevertheless. Terrakion is best used when paired with Wish from Clefable assuming you are using the Life Orb set, so there's that to start things off, which should be no surprise on a balance team in SS anyway. To add to this core, I knew that Hippowdon could be problematic and I needed a Steel type, so I added to the defensive backbone with Nasty Plot + Toxic Rotom-Heat and Stealth Rock utility Ferrothorn, which also helps check Scarf Dracovish and chip Band Dracovish (if I am expecting this, I tend to swap items to Rocky Helmet, for what it's worth). To round things out, I threw on a Mandibuzz with Brave Bird, which helps a lot for Conkeldurr, but also can serve as a countermeasure to Calm Mind Keldeo and Kommo-O. Foul Play also helps against Bisharp, outrunning it with this spread and 2HKOing +2 Bisharp, making it less necessary to risk Terrakion or Ferrothorn. Finally, Dragapult gives the team speed control, running a spread to outpace Scarf Dracovish with Spell Tag in order to increase damage output against Clefable and Corviknight.

e: the team below mine loses to the move Toxic Spikes js

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Ghostspam Spikes HO

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Icy Wind
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spirit Shackle
- Shadow Sneak
- Roost

Zeraora @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Plasma Fists

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
Pretty much a HO team centered around Spikes Froslass and Stealth Rock Terrakion as a hazard stacking duo to apply pressure for the last 4 Pokemon to sweep. Terrakion is also nice for Taunt to keep it and Froslass’s hazards up as well as beating Dark and Normal-type Pokemon like Bisharp, and Snorlax that Decidueye dislikes dealing with. Rest of the team is pretty straightforward, Bisharp to apply pressure on Defoggers, Mimikyu is really nice on HO to blanket check things with Disguise and Decidueye is nice for trapping and sweeping teams without or once their Ghost resist has fainted. Zeraora is standard Bulk Up. The four setup sweepers can weaken most teams together so that one can eventually sweep, its an overall pretty simple and fun team to use especially with Melmetal staying banned.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Scald
Terrakion surprisingly has quite a few options to utilize, while I personally tend to stick with Scarf, I figured running it Banded would be fun, since it functions pretty well as a wallbreaker. To compound on that, I immediately added Specs Kyurem to the mix, which makes it much easier for me to break through fat without requiring much thought. Jirachi and Mandibuzz were next, originally the former was a SR setter so I could have two slow pivots, but after adding the essential Seismitoad to counter Vish, this was no longer necessary. Scarf Healing Wish is great to bring my heavy hitters back into the game, and let's face it, flinching with Iron Head is always a nice backup if you play like shit. Since I did still wish to maintain the slow turn aspect, TP Clef rounds out the team, bringing more bulk, more healing, and patching some minor holes.

msnt

\!/
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Body Press

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport

Made this team for a tournament, I had the idea to play Rotom Volt Switch + Terrak + Hippo, Hippo is boosting terrak's spdef and rotom is volt switching on clef to let you swords dance easily on clefable and being able to pick one/two kills, the rest of the team is a totally basic Ferro/Hippo/Clef is a really strong core in my opinion and hydrei scarf is here to revenge things that can be problematic or to clean in end game.

Jeong

Banned deucer.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Tomb
- Close Combat

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast

Jirachi @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Doom Desire
- Trick
- Psychic
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Metronome
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Terrakion-based team this time. The chosen set is SR with Sash support. I added RTomb for the pressure to slow down and press after. The team as a whole has creative things that can be effective. Primarina covers Kion's fight weakness well and this Sub CM version fits well. I think that every team needs something with Wish and what a better user than Clefable with Teleport. Jirachi is specs with Doom Desire + Trick. I think in this generation it can be useful and here it can go well. It is a very versatile mon. Hydreigon is the NPlot set with 3 attacks but with Metronome instead of Life Orb and DPulse> DMeteor. Another option would be Scarf too. Finally we have Corviknight who is my Defog and spam Uturn user along with Rachi. Body Press for things like Bisharp / Ferro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voting stage is up, and friendly reminder, the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. If you have any questions about this system, by all means, contact me.

You may vote for as many or as little teams as you want!

Team A by Finchinator
:Terrakion: | :Clefable: | :Rotom-Heat: | :Ferrothorn: | :Mandibuzz: | :Dragapult:

Import
This is a pretty standard Terrakion build, but it is effective nevertheless. Terrakion is best used when paired with Wish from Clefable assuming you are using the Life Orb set, so there's that to start things off, which should be no surprise on a balance team in SS anyway. To add to this core, I knew that Hippowdon could be problematic and I needed a Steel type, so I added to the defensive backbone with Nasty Plot + Toxic Rotom-Heat and Stealth Rock utility Ferrothorn, which also helps check Scarf Dracovish and chip Band Dracovish (if I am expecting this, I tend to swap items to Rocky Helmet, for what it's worth). To round things out, I threw on a Mandibuzz with Brave Bird, which helps a lot for Conkeldurr, but also can serve as a countermeasure to Calm Mind Keldeo and Kommo-O. Foul Play also helps against Bisharp, outrunning it with this spread and 2HKOing +2 Bisharp, making it less necessary to risk Terrakion or Ferrothorn. Finally, Dragapult gives the team speed control, running a spread to outpace Scarf Dracovish with Spell Tag in order to increase damage output against Clefable and Corviknight.

e: the team below mine loses to the move Toxic Spikes js
Team B by Decem
Ghostspam Spikes HO

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Spirit Shackle
- Shadow Sneak
- Roost

Zeraora @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Plasma Fists

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
Pretty much a HO team centered around Spikes Froslass and Stealth Rock Terrakion as a hazard stacking duo to apply pressure for the last 4 Pokemon to sweep. Terrakion is also nice for Taunt to keep it and Froslass’s hazards up as well as beating Dark and Normal-type Pokemon like Bisharp, and Snorlax that Decidueye dislikes dealing with. Rest of the team is pretty straightforward, Bisharp to apply pressure on Defoggers, Mimikyu is really nice on HO to blanket check things with Disguise and Decidueye is nice for trapping and sweeping teams without or once their Ghost resist has fainted. Zeraora is standard Bulk Up. The four setup sweepers can weaken most teams together so that one can eventually sweep, its an overall pretty simple and fun team to use especially with Melmetal staying banned.
Team C by BlameTheBlax

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Scald
Terrakion surprisingly has quite a few options to utilize, while I personally tend to stick with Scarf, I figured running it Banded would be fun, since it functions pretty well as a wallbreaker. To compound on that, I immediately added Specs Kyurem to the mix, which makes it much easier for me to break through fat without requiring much thought. Jirachi and Mandibuzz were next, originally the former was a SR setter so I could have two slow pivots, but after adding the essential Seismitoad to counter Vish, this was no longer necessary. Scarf Healing Wish is great to bring my heavy hitters back into the game, and let's face it, flinching with Iron Head is always a nice backup if you play like shit. Since I did still wish to maintain the slow turn aspect, TP Clef rounds out the team, bringing more bulk, more healing, and patching some minor holes.
Team D by MSnt

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Body Press

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport

Made this team for a tournament, I had the idea to play Rotom Volt Switch + Terrak + Hippo, Hippo is boosting terrak's spdef and rotom is volt switching on clef to let you swords dance easily on clefable and being able to pick one/two kills, the rest of the team is a totally basic Ferro/Hippo/Clef is a really strong core in my opinion and hydrei scarf is here to revenge things that can be problematic or to clean in end game.
Team E by Sunsetwinds

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Tomb
- Close Combat

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast

Jirachi @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Doom Desire
- Trick
- Psychic
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Metronome
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Terrakion-based team this time. The chosen set is SR with Sash support. I added RTomb for the pressure to slow down and press after. The team as a whole has creative things that can be effective. Primarina covers Kion's fight weakness well and this Sub CM version fits well. I think that every team needs something with Wish and what a better user than Clefable with Teleport. Jirachi is specs with Doom Desire + Trick. I think in this generation it can be useful and here it can go well. It is a very versatile mon. Hydreigon is the NPlot set with 3 attacks but with Metronome instead of Life Orb and DPulse> DMeteor. Another option would be Scarf too. Finally we have Corviknight who is my Defog and spam Uturn user along with Rachi. Body Press for things like Bisharp / Ferro.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Alright, the voting phase is over! These are the votes:
B>E>D>C>A
B>A>D>E>C
B>A=C=D=E
B>A>D>C=E
D>A>C>B>E
B>A=C=D=E
B>A>E>D>C
A>B=C=D=E
A>D>B=C=E
A>D>C>B=E
D>E>B>A>C
If we input this here, the resulting winner is... team B by Decem! Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the archive soon.

Week 6: Salazzle

This week we'd like you to build around a Pokemon that's been gaining quite some traction lately: Salazzle.
You have until next Friday to post your teams. Good luck!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)