Project SS OU Teambuilding Competition - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avendesora

"I'm no bloody hero!"
is a Tiering Contributor
The King and The Slave (Tapu Fini + Nidoking Offense)

This team was built around a really nice core involving Calm Mind Tapu Fini and Nidoking. While this core is really nice and hits really hard, desimating most balance teams in the metagame, it lacks the speed to deal with offensive teams confortably. to remedy this issue, I decided Thunder Wave Ferrothorn was a nice addition to the team. It gives the team Spikes support, while also being able to use both Thunder Wave and Knock Off to criple the opossing team. Then, i decided to finish the Fire- Water- Grass- core by adding Heatran. Heatran is a nice Pokemon that can deal big amounts of damage, while also trapping the oponent and using Stealth Rock.
Then it was time to add the defogger for the team. As I had a glaring weakness to Spectrier, Mandibuzz was the Defogger of choice. Besides removing hazards, it also discourages physical sweepers to set up, and gives the team momentum. Last but not least, I added Choice Band Pheromosa, since the team was really slow, even with Thunder Wave support from Ferrothorn. Pheromosa is a really nice late game cleaner as well.

Importable:

Shoutouts:

Shoutouts to Dasmer, who suggested I should submit this team.

Terrain Extender Tapu Fini SetUp Squad
(Click the team!)

Very challenging this round, focusing on a Pokémon that is usually the support and not the star of the team, let's go!

I happened to remember the OLT final where Tricking brought Extender Terrain G-Weezing in both games and decided to start this way. Speed for Heatran.

Then I added mixed Garchomp without Dragon-move because terrain reduced damage, Garchomp can use SD without worrying about Scald.

Since Tapu Fini has no Leftovers I opted for a Wish support, and as sooner or later a response to Dark-Urshifu would be needed...
SpDef EVs allow you to survive 2 Specs Ice Beam Modest Pheromosa.

And talking about preventing auto-lose, Tyranitar provides sand, rocks and a breather against Spectrier.

Excadrill is the second SD and hazard control. Jolly because in the sand it is faster than Modest Pheromosa after QD.

Finally, Rillaboom removes the terrain and still has no solid answer. Moltres punishes U-Turn, and gains some momentum with his own U-Turn. Almost max speed to pass Nidoking, Mystical Fire can eventually help Garchomp / Excadrill / Clefable to setup. A more defensive spread may be ideal if you are concerned about Melmetal (and should). Also another Fairy resistence.

P.S .: Sand Veil is not a niche and teambuild is a pain right now.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Time to vote!

Reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. Additionally, don't vote for your own submission. If you have any questions about this system, by all means, contact me.

And remember, you may vote for as many or as little teams as you want!

Team A by Katy
grass spam offense feat. tapu fini and nidoking

:nidoking: :moltres: :kartana: :rillaboom: :tapu fini: :dragapult:
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Scorching Sands
- Mystical Fire
- Defog

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

explanation: this team is built with nidoking, as it has insane potential in the ou tier currently as a stealth rocker and wallbreaker alike due to life orb + sheer force and itsgreat poison + ground stab and its coverage in ice beam. nidoking checks electric-types such as regieleki, tapu koko, and zapdos and can threaten them effectively. moltres is a check to heatran and melmetal and has mystical fire to get some clutch spatt-drops and furthermore it has scorching sands to effectively threaten heatran. roost is there for longevity as it is the defogger on this team. kartana has life orb + swords dance which makes it incredible threatening for a lot of pokemon in the tier. its set contains its two stabs in smart strike and leaf blade, sacred sword is there to break through any resist like ferrothorn and heatran. rillaboom gifts the grassy terrain for kartana and is also a nice check to rain teams, since a choice band-boosted grassy glide is very threatening to that offensive structure. it also has knock off to knock annoying items off and u-turn to gain momentum for the rest of the team. wood hammer is there to nuke anything, which doesn't resist grass moves. tapu fini checks pheromosa and other threats such as heatran, garchomp, and both urshifus. scald and moonblast are its stabs and it also has taunt to prevent pokemon from setting up hazards. last but not least, dragapult with choice scarf. i've decided to go with scarf as spectrier is insanely threatening once rillaboom isnt there anymore to pressure with grassy glide to have a secondary offensive check to spectrier. draco meteor, shadow ball, and flamethrower are its coverage options, and it also has u-turn which helps keeping momentum.
Team B by LockedBeast
The King and The Slave (Tapu Fini + Nidoking Offense)

This team was built around a really nice core involving Calm Mind Tapu Fini and Nidoking. While this core is really nice and hits really hard, desimating most balance teams in the metagame, it lacks the speed to deal with offensive teams confortably. to remedy this issue, I decided Thunder Wave Ferrothorn was a nice addition to the team. It gives the team Spikes support, while also being able to use both Thunder Wave and Knock Off to criple the opossing team. Then, i decided to finish the Fire- Water- Grass- core by adding Heatran. Heatran is a nice Pokemon that can deal big amounts of damage, while also trapping the oponent and using Stealth Rock.
Then it was time to add the defogger for the team. As I had a glaring weakness to Spectrier, Mandibuzz was the Defogger of choice. Besides removing hazards, it also discourages physical sweepers to set up, and gives the team momentum. Last but not least, I added Choice Band Pheromosa, since the team was really slow, even with Thunder Wave support from Ferrothorn. Pheromosa is a really nice late game cleaner as well.

Importable:

Shoutouts:

Shoutouts to Dasmer, who suggested I should submit this team.
Team C by Tio Chico

Terrain Extender Tapu Fini SetUp Squad
(Click the team!)

Very challenging this round, focusing on a Pokémon that is usually the support and not the star of the team, let's go!

I happened to remember the OLT final where Tricking brought Extender Terrain G-Weezing in both games and decided to start this way. Speed for Heatran.

Then I added mixed Garchomp without Dragon-move because terrain reduced damage, Garchomp can use SD without worrying about Scald.

Since Tapu Fini has no Leftovers I opted for a Wish support, and as sooner or later a response to Dark-Urshifu would be needed...
SpDef EVs allow you to survive 2 Specs Ice Beam Modest Pheromosa.

And talking about preventing auto-lose, Tyranitar provides sand, rocks and a breather against Spectrier.

Excadrill is the second SD and hazard control. Jolly because in the sand it is faster than Modest Pheromosa after QD.

Finally, Rillaboom removes the terrain and still has no solid answer. Moltres punishes U-Turn, and gains some momentum with his own U-Turn. Almost max speed to pass Nidoking, Mystical Fire can eventually help Garchomp / Excadrill / Clefable to setup. A more defensive spread may be ideal if you are concerned about Melmetal (and should). Also another Fairy resistence.

P.S .: Sand Veil is not a niche and teambuild is a pain right now.
You have 2 days to vote.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Sorry for the delay! The voting phase is over. These are the votes:
A=B
C
C>B
B>A
C>A>B
B>C>A
B>A>C
B>A>C
B>C>A
C>A>B
A>C>B
B>A>C
B>A>C
If we input this here, the winner is team B by LockedBeast.
Congratulations! Your submission will be added to the archive.

Week 20: Spectrier

Spectrier has developed into a terrific win condition in the current metagame, with few reliable checks.
You have one week to submit a team featuring it. Good luck!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
Power Herb Nihilego + Nasty Plot Spectrier Offense

:clefable: :landorus-therian: :nihilego: :spectrier: :moltres-galar: :rillaboom:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

Spectrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 144 HP / 180 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hex
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp

Moltres-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
Timid Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Hurricane
- Nasty Plot
- U-turn

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off

description: this teams is built around sub-plot spectrier with will-o-wisp and hex; to kick it off, clefable is the first member on this squad, with laying down entry hazard in stealth rock, it is the pheromosa-check on this squad, it has moonblast, soft-boiled, stealth rocks and thunder wave, thunder wave to slow down the opposing team. landorus-t is the scarfer + defogger, choice scarf lando-t has amazing speed control in the tier, and with a strong edgequake-coverage it is a formidable pokemon all around. u-turn is there to give momentum. nihilego is the first wallbreaker and sweeper on this squad, with power herb and metero beam it gets dangerous potential. sludge wave is its second stab, thunderbolt is for toxapex and tornadus-t, grass knot hits tyranitar for a big damage especially after the spa-boost. sub-plot-wisp spectrier is a dangerous sweeper in this tier and can tear holes in plenty of pokemon, which do not resists its ghost-stab at all. clefable, which i've talked about earlier, has thunder wave for pokemon like heatran, to cripple it with status for spectrier because spectrier can't hit it with status at all, but this supports spectrier in this aspect. moltres-g is the spectrier check and can boost itself very well with nasty plot, fiery wrath is its phenomenal stab and hurricane can hit plenty of pokemon for a good amount of damage. rillaboom is the rain- and sand-team check with a choice band-boostet grassy glide it can tear holes in pokemon such as barraskewda, seismitoad, urshifu-r, pelipper, tyranitar, and excadrill. furthermore it can break through the slowtwins with its strong grass-stabs. in overall this team capitalizes on the dangerous breakers such as nihilego, spectrier and rillaboom with the help of moltres-g to combat opposing spectrier. landor-t and clefable are necessary options for tackle ground-types and also pheromosa.​

Avendesora

"I'm no bloody hero!"
is a Tiering Contributor
Spectrier Meets the Mamo (Metronome Mamoswine + Scarf Spectrier Balance)

Explanations:

This team was originated when I was building for the matches I had in the most recent CPL. I was debating to use this team against Chaitanya, but in the end decided otherwise. Let's get to the point though. The main core I wanted the team to be centered around is Mamoswine + Spectrier.
Mamoswine is a very underrated Pokemon in the current OU metagame, as it is in most of the OU metagames. The amazing coverage it has (the famous ice quake combination), plus its amazing attack stat make Mamoswine a really huge offensive presence in this team. The item of choice is Metronome. even though Metronome was nerfed last year due to the misunderstanding of its effects, I believe that it can still be used successfully, as not many Pokemon in the current metagame are running Protect. With the moves it has at its disposal, Mamoswine can hit extremely hard with both Icicle Crash and Earthquake, whilst also being able to have a strong priority in Ice Shard. Lastly, I decided to use Knock Off, which helps Mamoswine bypass its own checks and counters in the long term.
It is time for the second part of the main core, Spectrier. What is there to say about Scarf Spectrier that you might not already know? I don't think there is anything, really. There is one tiny little thing, however, that i would like to point out. This Spectrier has Haze. As you may know, Spectrier isn't known for its wide array of coverage moves, thus, I decided to test Haze on it. You might be in a situation where a Calm Mind Magearna has started to set up and Heatran can't deal with it anymore due to the big amounts of Spdef it has. But if you manage to get Spectrier in safely and click Haze, suddenly the Magearna becomes easy to finish.
After having the main core already set up, I started building a nice defensive backbone that could help get these two Pokemon in safely, while also helping them beat the opposing team. I started the defensive backbone by adding Blissey. Blissey is a really nice special wall that is able to shrug off almost any special attack in the game. In addition, with access to Thunder Wave and Teleport, Blissey is a really nice partner for both Mamoswine and Spectrier, as the former likes Pokemon being slower and the latter likes Pokemon being statused. By holding the Heavy-Duty-Boots, Blissey can't be damaged by hazards, which helps it stay alive for longer periods of time.
The next Pokemon added to the defensive backbone was Toxapex. With the ability to set up Toxic Spikes, burn the opponent with Scald and get rid of items thanks to Knock Off, it can offer a lot of support for the team. Checking Urshifu is one of Toxapex' tasks in the team as well.
Even though the team is not really weak to hazards, I added a Defogger to ease the job of the already mentioned walls. Mandibuzz not only offers hazard removal for the team, but also offers a nice way of punishing physical set up sweepers with Foul Play, and momentum with U-turn. With this spread, Mandibuzz is able to withstand 2 wood hammers from Choice Band Rillaboom, be faster than max Speed Adamant Crawdaunt and take special hits as best as possible.
Last but not least, Heatran was added to the team. you may have noticed the team is quite weak against Steel-types, particularly Ferrothorn. Moreover, Heatran is another Pokemon that can spread status all over the opposing team, and is able to set up Stealth Rock. Trapping Pokemon with Magma Storm eases the prediction game a lot because you don't let your oponent make double switches to counter Attack your own.

Importable:

Shoutouts:
Shoutouts to Elian-san for suggesting the title of the team, and some minor changes. Big shoutouts to all my building friends who are always supporting me, you guys know who you are :)

Last edited:

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Double Regenerator Specs Spectrier Bulky Offense

[click here]
Okay so this team, mostly was made around Amoonguss + Slowbro and the fantastic synergy they have with eachother. Amoonguss's double status support is a boon for so many stuff but most notably, Specs Spectrier because Hex from this mon hits way too hard and especially when you factor in paralyses from Stun Spore, Spectrier is even more easily able to win games when it gets the opportunity. Slowbro is there because of how it pairs with Amoonguss very well but also because of its trademark future sight shenanigans that makes Urshifu even more threatening, especially when you factor in Amoonguss's status spreading utility. Moltres is for hazard removal but also as a check to non-QD Pheromosa and Magearna that actually deals with Heatran fairly well, which the other 2 cannot really do. Urshifu-S is the first big hitter here, the utility given from both Slowbro and Amoonguss comes back here and Urshifu-S just capatilises of this insanely well. No consistent answers outside of a small pool of Pokemon make the Spores and Future Sights Amoonguss and Slowbro put out even more devastating.

Now onto Spectrier, this Pokemon is a complete monster and in my eyes very stupid, I was going to make this Choice Scarf originally but then I realised that with Stun Spore on Amoonguss, what's handling it? Considering the fact that Urshifu-S and Spectrier kinda just beat each others checks and counters so stuff like Blissey are still going to be pressured really hard by this team. Lastly we have Landorus-T, its my main rocker but also my volt blocker since while Amoonguss can absorb volt switches, it cannot really stop VoltTurn teams from always getting momentum and without a ground there is never a way I can really get momentum back, as such I decided to put Landorus-T.

This Team Is Way Too Boring To Name:
Part of me wanted to start re-entering these with my Ghost-spam HO featuring Mean Look, Taunt, Destiny Bond Gengar, but I decided against it so I'll share this boring shit instead.
Fu + Future Sight is cheap and does a great job forcing things that typically check Spectrier into provocative positions to allow it to sweep late game. Fini can take advantage of things that come in vs Fu or Spect and can start setting up CMs; between Taunt CM Fini, Eerie Spell, and Future Sight, fatter teams get pressured very hard while Fu and Scarf Spect are great vs offence. G-King is the chosen Future Sight user thanks to its ability to check Phero and offensive Fairies as well as pressure a good array of things with its coverage. Corv is hazard removal and a check to Lando, Rilla, and others while also functioning as a good pivot to bring Fu, Fini, or Hippo in vs good match ups. Lastly, Hippowdon features here as the obligatory defensive Rocker and Ground type and functions as a check to Cinderace, Excadrill, and Electric spam. It features Toxic to threaten the longevity of annoying Defoggers like Mandi, Zapdos, and Moltres, all of which are ideal to remove quickly.
This team is depressing and I hate it, but if you're alright with dying inside each game for the sake of results then this might be your squad. At least it's aesthetic.
Hippowdon (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Corviknight (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Slowking-Galar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 228 HP / 180 SpA / 100 SpD
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Eerie Spell
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Def / 196 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Urshifu (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Spectrier @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hex
- Mud Shot
- Will-O-Wisp

Hi everyone! For those who don't know me, I'm an oldgen player and I've been active during the late DP-early BW in the italian community. After a long period of inactivity, I started to play again recently and I had some fun with the current metagame. When I've seen this building contest featuring Spectrier, I thought to kill two birds with one stone: 1. to build the team for the contest and 2. to prove its effectiveness on the suspect ladder that is going on rn. The team performs above expectations and it allows me to get reqs with a net 32-2 score. Here, let me introduce "The Spectre of the Blob".

2.0.png

The core idea is to pair Spectrier with Focus Punch Sheer Force Nidoking in order to baitkill two main Spectrier checks: Blissey and SpDef Mandibuzz. The name of the team is a pun on the word Spectrier (the team's main character), alluding to the fact that it can feast on the "Spectre of the Blob" after Nidoking did its work.
Then I added banded Urshifu: the sinergy it has with the first two mons is devastating. Spectrier lures in things like Tyranitar and Blissey, that are a foreseeable opponent's play, so that I can double in Urshifu and have a free Close Combat or Wicked Blow. Similarly, Urshifu lures in fairy types like Clefable and this allows Nidoking to have a safe switch-in and to start the strategy of pressuring opponent's special wall.
I was pretty satisfied of the team's offensive, then I Iooked for a defensive backbone. Anyway I wanted smt not to be passive, but that can enrich the strategy. So I added Toxapex with the initial idea of running TSpikes. After some test I noticed that Haze > TSpikes is mandatory for dealing with double dance Magearna, which is largely used in the ladder rn. Rocky Helmet allows Toxapex to accumulate cheap damage on Urshifu and Barraskewda and it performs as a great support thanks to Regenerator, Knock Off and Scald.
I had a great weakness vs ground (Lando-T and Excadrill), so I decided to add Corviknight which even serves as defogger. I preferred it over Zapdos or Moltres since it is not weak to Rock Slide and it is a consistent way to deal with Tapu Lele thanks to its steel typing. Slow U-Turn provides safe switch-in to both the three sweepers: Spectrier, Nidoking and Urshifu.
Lastly I feared Heatran. It can switch-in vs Spectrier, take 30ish% and spam Magma Storm. For this reason the last choice was Swampert. Other than being a consistent Heatran check, it provides Stealth Rock and Flip Turn pivoting. Having a second ground type here is great since Nidoking has a lot of offensive role to accomplish and it can't deal with things like offensive Zapdos and Dracozolt, while Swampert is a solid answer to them.

Spectrier @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Mud Shot
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Flip Turn
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Scald

1200px-473Mamoswine.png1200px-639Terrakion.pngpokemon_zapados_2x.png897.png861Grimmsnarl.png1200px-801Magearna.png

SUB NASTY PLOT DISABLE SPECTRIER SCREENS HO

Hello :) This is a fun HO team I made recently with sub disable np spectrier which is one of my favourite sets to run at the moment. Apologies in advance if my formatting is a bit wack; this is my first time making a proper post and I don't really know what im doing.

Here's the paste before I get onto a brief description: https://pokepast.es/d80c76514ac1dc80

Or here's the copy and paste version without the link if you prefer it like this:
Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Zapdos-Galar @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Agility
- Thunderous Kick
- Throat Chop

Spectrier @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
- Taunt

Magearna @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss

The main idea of the team is to try and pave a way for spectrier to be able to sweep/clean the opposing team with relative ease which is sometimes pretty simple thanks to Spectrier's ability to disable mono attack dark types such as mandibuzz.

Mamoswine is the HO standard sash endeavor set with rocks. Mamoswine can really punch holes in a core thanks to its amazing offensive typing and can even knock slower opposing mons down to 1hp if necessary which aids in breaking potential for the rest of the team.

Next is Grimmsnarl which sets screens for the likes of magearna which im sure everybody has seen on ladder once or twice ;) Grimmsnarl also has a good type matchup vs dark types which supports spectrier well. Taunt can help vs opposing screens teams as well which tend to run regieleki to prevent their screens from going up.

GalarZap is a really fun mon capable of breaking many defenses with thunderous kick. It also of course comes in on defog which can allow it to potentially sweep. Agility is on this set also, to act as an anti-offense measure which can be very useful as well.

Terrakion is a double dance set which can be very potent behind screens, however, the primary idea of Terrakion was to use spectrier as a dark move lure in order to activate justified and cause problems with edgequake coverage.

I'm sure everybody knows what magearna does. It's pretty brainless behind screens and extremely easy (but also effective) to use. Shift gear sets can really pose a threat to offensive teams, but its ability to break cores should also not go unmentioned. Yet another mon which has a good matchup vs dark types and the likes of blissey.

Finally, the star of the team, Yung Spectrier. With disable, this mon can easily 1v1 likes of Urshifu, X-attack + body press ferrothorn, and even sucker punch cinderace. This mon is totally capable of sweeping teams by itself. In particular, I notice its rain matchup to be especially good as rain teams don't tend to run a ghost resist and their sweepers are usually very frail. Disable can cause problems for a lot of bulkier teams and I think it's a fun set with a lot of breaking potential in a single nasty plot. Not to mention that the nasty plots are often free to click once you've disabled a mon's damaging move. This set is also very good against choice breakers for reasons already explained. Good mon m8

This might've been a little less brief than initially planned, but I hope my explanation has given you a decent idea of how it works and my creativity can distract you from the flaws of the team. Nevertheless, I do reiterate that I think the team is very fun, and I encourage you to test it out on ladder and/or against your friends to get a taste of what I mean.

Thanks for reading :psyglad:

Last edited:
Double Regenerator Specs Spectrier Bulky Offense

[click here]
Okay so this team, mostly was made around Amoonguss + Slowbro and the fantastic synergy they have with eachother. Amoonguss's double status support is a boon for so many stuff but most notably, Specs Spectrier because Hex from this mon hits way too hard and especially when you factor in paralyses from Stun Spore, Spectrier is even more easily able to win games when it gets the opportunity. Slowbro is there because of how it pairs with Amoonguss very well but also because of its trademark future sight shenanigans that makes Urshifu even more threatening, especially when you factor in Amoonguss's status spreading utility. Moltres is for hazard removal but also as a check to non-QD Pheromosa and Magearna that actually deals with Heatran fairly well, which the other 2 cannot really do. Urshifu-S is the first big hitter here, the utility given from both Slowbro and Amoonguss comes back here and Urshifu-S just capatilises of this insanely well. No consistent answers outside of a small pool of Pokemon make the Spores and Future Sights Amoonguss and Slowbro put out even more devastating.

Now onto Spectrier, this Pokemon is a complete monster and in my eyes very stupid, I was going to make this Choice Scarf originally but then I realised that with Stun Spore on Amoonguss, what's handling it? Considering the fact that Urshifu-S and Spectrier kinda just beat each others checks and counters so stuff like Blissey are still going to be pressured really hard by this team. Lastly we have Landorus-T, its my main rocker but also my volt blocker since while Amoonguss can absorb volt switches, it cannot really stop VoltTurn teams from always getting momentum and without a ground there is never a way I can really get momentum back, as such I decided to put Landorus-T.
Hi there, I really like this team. Would you consider swapping out moltress for zapdos now that mosa is banned? Obviously zapdos doesn't deal with magearna but it does give the team a much needed flying resist.

I'll play for once!

I was working on this team before this event started, and had settled on Spectrier in the last slot just in time! This is a Scarf Spectrier team, with the idea being to whittle down things enough for the horse to come in and clean up with either Shadow Ball or Hex.
  • Starting off, I really wanted to test out the defensive Tapu Koko that was mentioned in the Metagame Discussion Thread. It's been putting in a tremendous amount of work, and starts getting status spread about for Spectrier later. Grounds love to come in on this, and are easy Toxic targets. The EV spread is slightly adapted from the original post so it outruns Zarude and Modest Alakazam now, while still hitting the 337 Leftovers number. EVs are allocated this way because it's bulkier physically than 248 HP / 204 Def.​
  • Ferrothorn is among my favorites, and I use it all the time. This is standard mixed defenses Ferro, with enough SpD to hit a bonus point, max HP for an even Lefties number, and the rest in Def. Since it's mixed defenses, and because things like Tapu Fini and Azumarill are big threats, I went with Power Whip > Body Press. This sets spikes to keep the whittling going, as well as Iron Barbs abuse.​
  • Swampert does Swampert things: sets Rocks, jumps around on counters with Flip Turn to encourage switching and more hazard damage, and spreads Toxic. I went SpD because Moltres is already fairly physically defensive, and because it gives another Nidoking check. The Speed lets it outrun max Speed Melmetal by 2 points, while being slower than uninvested Corviknight so you can catch it with EQ as it Roosts. I went with Damp > Torrent just to be a complete stop to Regieleki, even the screen+Explosion setter. It also blocks Mind Blown, fun fact.​
  • Spectrier is easy, as most are. You basically only click Shadow Ball unless you've tossed status everywhere or need to surprise something. Max Speed and Timid instead of Modest because I'm scared of opposing Scarf Spectrier and want to at least tie (as well as Ditto, which has happened twice now).​
  • Moltres is here as a physical wall, burn spreader, and a decent Magearna check. The EVs let it outrun Timid Magearna and keep it in line with Mystical Fire lowering its SpA. Mystical Fire, while weak, has been clutch in a number of battles for that SpA lowering, and lets you act as both a physical and special tank at the same time. I have another Defogger, so I went with U-turn here to keep up the pivoting game.​
  • Finally, Hydriegon is here as an opposing Spectrier counter, as well as a a check to things like Nidoking, Urshifu, Future Sight, and other random special attackers. Max Speed is so you can contend against Urshifu and hit it with Earth Power before it hits you. The HP hits 353 for a Leftovers number for good recovery. The dash of SpA looks weird, but it's to ensure that you OHKO 0 HP / 0 SpD Spectrier after it takes Rocks and 1 Spikes damage. I have that combo up frequently enough that it was a good threshold. The rest is dumped in SpD to better absorb attacks since, similar to Tapu Koko above, 112 HP / 140 SpD took special hits better than 176 HP / 56 SpD (which is the next Leftovers number).​
This is one of my more solid teams. It can have issues with things, as all teams do. Magearna can get out of hand if you let it. But otherwise, it's very fun and surprisingly solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)