Project SS OU Teambuilding Competition - Not hosted anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
The voting phase is over! These are the votes:
A>C>B>E>D>I>F>G>H
I>F>G>A>B=C=D=E=H
B>C>A>G>F>I>H>E>D
I>F>D>B>A=C=E=G=H
G>F>A>H>B=C=D=E=I
C>F>B>A=D=E=G=H=I
C>H>A=B=D=E=F=G=I
G>A=B=C=D=E=F=H=I
G>I>A=B=C=D=E=F=H
G>C>A=B=D=E=F=H=I
C>B>D>A>E>F>G>H>I
If we input this here, the result is... a tie between team C by Tapeworm and team G by I like pink mons! Congratulations! Your submissions will be added to the archive soon.

As the first DLC will be released tomorrow, we will go on a short break to let the metagame settle a bit and to let the earliest potential quickbans happen.
We'll be back soon!​

Week 9: Alolan Marowak

With the newly added Poltergeist and a stellar defensive typing, Alolan Marowak has proven itself to be a really valuable addition to many teams as per the Isle of Armor DLC. Alolan Marowak is now the subject of teambuilding competition, the deadline is same day next week, have fun!​

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Toxic

Urshifu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Body Press

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 224 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

Been testing this team out and like it better than I expected considering I sorta just threw some sets I liked together. The idea was to make a FWG core with Marowak starting it off.

The first guy I liked was Amoongus because it has a good matchup against Pex which I thought would be the #1 switch in to Maro. I don't know if Spore/Toxic is common but I liked the idea of being able to Spore pex or w/e Steel or poison things like Mandibuzz that are immune to Spore.

I couldn't think of what water I wanted with just those two so next up I knew I wanted some from of speed control so I thought Choice Scarf Urshifu made sense. It's extremely strong as a late game cleaner and threatens things like Alakazam and Dragapult who thinks they can stay in on it.

Then I thought I better have my own Urshifu counter since it's busted and wanted a rocker so I went with Kommo'o. Kommo'o is a pretty standard set and I like having another Toxic option. It also can work well against opposing Marowak.

I saw that I had 3 phys attackers at this point and one support type mon so I wanted a strong SpA threat that was fast. Removal would be pretty nice too. So Starmie joined in beautifully. Pretty underrated and Hydro Pump hits like a truck. It can even threaten out Chansey with some chip/SR up and a predicted Analytic Psyshock.

Finally I saw I didn't have a steel, didn't have a fairy so of course Magearna was gonna slot in. I needed an alternative SpA threat and wanted something that set up as a win condition so I went with the pain split/CM set. Working as a blanket check to a million other things is also a big plus.

Overall I think the team is super fun to play and a team that I can feel good about using. I generally dislike slower balance/stallish teams but this has the right amount of fair play with room to still outplay.

Weaknesses I would say are certain full stalls, any team with a very consistent rocker could be a problem considering Starmie is the only removal, and Volcarona could be an issue especially if Marowak can't just switch in for w/e reason and it's something like bulky Psychic/Giga/Flamethrower that'd be a whole GG.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
marowak-alola bulky offense

:marowak-alola: :ferrothorn: :mandibuzz: :alakazam: :keldeo: :dragapult:

pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/ac096df30bc64f50

explanation: 4 attacks a-marowak with thick club and stab flare blitz / poltergeist and coverage in earthquake and low kick for dark types, ferrothorn is the main-water-resist
with stealth rock and power whip to combat rain-teams better, knock off to get rid of items and leech ssed to maintain some recovery, whereas
mandibuzz defogs hazards away and has the foul play for setup-sweepers and u-turn to maintain momentum and it is also a good dark- and ghost-resist for the team.
alakazam is a dangerous setup pokémon with nasty plot this gen and to unveil its true power i've decided to go back to the roots with life orb and magic guard combination,
the 3 attacks are its stab in psychic and the coverage in focus blast and shadow ball. keldeo is the choice scarfer and gives some speed control and it can give momentum with flip turn;
stone edge is there for volcarona and scald aswell as secret sword are its stab attacks. last but not least dragapult yet another setup-sweeper with dragon dance and 3 attacks with dragon darts, phantom force and good priority in sucker punch to hit choice locked ghost-types. in overall that team builds on the momentum and support to bring in marowak or either of the 2 dangerous
setup pokémon.​

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Stun Spore

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Knock Off

Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hex
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
To start off, I decided to pair Marowak-A with the Sand core: Marowak-A breaks down many Pokemon that stop Sand Rush Excadrill, notably Corviknight, Tangrowth, and most Slowbro (if not Kasib Berry/itemless). Amoonguss and Mandibuzz complete the defensive backbone of the team with Hippowdon. Dragapult was put last to fix the Rotom-H matchup, among other things like spreading paralysis for Marowak-A and bringing it and Excadrill on the field safely via U-turn.

Hatterene (F) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tyranitar @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Ice Punch

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Ferrothorn @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This is my first time posting a team so I hope it's good. Hatterene provides type coverage but is mostly there to set up a trick room. Getting off one psychic or dazzling gleam could be feasible, but ideally you want Hatterene around to set up more trick rooms. The trick room allows Marowak to fly pretty well through most pokemon that don't wall him, especially if you pull off a swords dance. I've had varying experiences with Mimikyu but I think as a general rule it's a good idea to break the disguise before Marowak goes in. Tyranitar is there to counter Mandibuzz and carries taunt to deal with stalling methods, and Excadrill benefits from the sandstorm that Tyranitar sets up. Heracross deals with strong dark attackers that can switch in and destroy Marowak, as well as bulky normal types. Lastly, Ferrothorn is there for support as well as dealing with water types and bulky ground types like Hippowdon or Mudsdale. Overall you've got three pokemon that benefit from trick room and extra speed control in the form of sand rush for when it wears off. Most common obstacles in OU are accounted for, although dual-screen Grimmsnarl seems very adept at killing this team's momentum.

A-Marowak Teambuild.png

Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Close Combat

Alolan Marowak seems excellent (and very popular) with Trick Room support, given its low speed and high effective attack with Thick Club. However, I found that going all-in with Trick Room teams stacked too many weaknesses to Ghost and Dark, so I took a Fat Balance Volt-Turn approach. Hatterene was a natural partner to set Trick Room and reflect status/Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, keeping A-Marowak operable and wallbreaking alongside it. The defensive core of Kommo-o, Mandibuzz, and AV Magearna is exceptionally strong in its own right, and covers most all of A-Marowak’s type weaknesses whilst providing U-Turn / Volt Switch momentum. Crawdaunt fills out the team as a priority option against fast sweepers like Volcarona and Alakazam, but doesn’t run 0 Speed investment to forgo an over-reliance on Trick Room, while still outpacing walls like Hippowdon and Slowbro outside of it. Not to say that Crawdaunt and the rest of the team’s lower than average speed can’t abuse Trick Room alongside the dedicated core, but it’s rare to expect a Magearna to sweep without SpA investment or stat boosts.

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Drill Run
- Psychic Fangs

Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Magearna @ Choice Specs
EVs: 152 HP / 220 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Fleur Cannon
- Trick

EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 48 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Scald
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Toxic
Team I built originally around CB Lycanroc. Marowak here functions as an Electric immunity and helps with opposing Magearna with its standard set. Lycanroc provides powerful priority and a bit of flavor. Mag helps vs opposing fat teams and stall, while the defensive core of Mandi + Bro can handle most of the tier Mag can also be Scarf, but I found Specs to be more useful with the amount of fat stuff being spammed on high ladder. Kommo-o ties it all together with another Grass/Dark resist to help compliment Bro, as well as providing rocks and spreading toxic to incoming pivots like Bro and Tangrowth. Mandi is EVd to live a +2 Gleam from Sash Alakazam, which can then be RK by Lycanroc or a healthy Mag, as well as outspeeding Azu. The rest is pretty standard.

Last edited:

UrshiFuture Sight:
I'd heard of the awesome pairing of Urshifu and Future Sight Slowbro and have Future Sight force in things Urshifu can freely hit for hard damage and started from there. Spikes support also helps capitalise on the forced switches from Future Sight to wear teams down. Marowak makes for a great offensive Rocker and also enjoys the support of Teleport Slowbro to get it favourable match-ups and is another good partner for Fu in helping it soften up walls like Clef, Kommo-o, Hippo, etc, which is especially nice with the hazard support. Gweezing stuck around after the provisional build which had T-Spikes support instead, but remains here as a Defogger and a check to things Slowbro and Ferro wouldn't really like handling, like opposing Urshifu, Conk, Obstagoon, Zeraora, etc. Scarf Hydra compresses the roles of speed control, Ghost resist, Ground immunity, and Heatom check in one slot. T-Wave support on Hydra and Ferro is ideal as this team's average speed is slow as balls and my Scarfer hits like a wet towel, so being able to Paralyse things like Magearna, Zam, Cinderace, opposing Urshifu, etc is all very ideal in keeping up against them. The aesthetics are decently nice too, not bad colour coordination, and I'm sure would be just fine when Fu gets his sprite.
Ferrothorn (M) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Weezing-Galar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Toxic
- Defog
- Pain Split

Slowbro (M)
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 12 Spe
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Marowak-Alola (F) @ Thick Club
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Urshifu (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Last edited:

Sometimes, you just want to click buttons:

MAROWAK-A:
This is the first time I'm doing this, cause I'm new to building and battling but I thought this was a fun team. Sometimes, you just want to off your brain and click buttons, and this HO Trick Room Team is precisely the formula. Build around the core of Marowak-A + Slowbro. Bonemerang > Earthquake to take out any Focus Sash Alakazams. Last move is a toss up between SR, Shadow Bone & Knock Off. SR because I have no other SR user, Knock Off gets rid of Eviolite from Chansey, which can soft-check Marowak-A with Soft-Boiled and stall out the Trick Room. Shadow Bone deals with item-less Slowbro.

SLOWBRO: Speaking of which, item-less Slowbro helps deal with mirror match-ups or opposing Marowaks-A. It also takes less from Knock Off from the likes of Zeraora. Future Sight messes with opponent switch ins which is great for a HO team.

THE REST: Porygon2 and Magearna round up a great Trick Room Core, dealing with the likes of Hippowdown, Urshifu respectively. Azumarill provides priority and has a better longevity than Crawdaunt. Misty Explosion Hatterene just explodes on people to give switch initiative. Honestly, I don't think this team is that good as it is just a simple HO, but I found it fun to just chill + ladder with.

https://pokepast.es/e1870f83a732d656

Slowbro
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Trick Room
- Teleport

Brave Nature
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off / Shadow Bone / Stealth Rocks

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Teleport
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Magearna @ Pixie Plate
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Hatterene (F) @ Colbur Berry
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Misty Explosion
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire

It's time to vote on the first DLC teams!

Reminder: the voting system used is the Ranked Pairs format (the same as CAP uses). To vote you basically order your options like this: C>B>A>D, like this A>B=C>D, or like this D>C, assuming there are 4 team options (A, B, C, and D). If you choose not to vote for all teams, the last team(s) will be assumed to be last and valued equally if more than one got left out. If you have any questions about this system, by all means, contact me or Ruft.

And remember, you may vote for as many or as little teams as you want!

Team A by aceguy123
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Toxic

Urshifu @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Body Press

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Magearna @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 224 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

Been testing this team out and like it better than I expected considering I sorta just threw some sets I liked together. The idea was to make a FWG core with Marowak starting it off.

The first guy I liked was Amoongus because it has a good matchup against Pex which I thought would be the #1 switch in to Maro. I don't know if Spore/Toxic is common but I liked the idea of being able to Spore pex or w/e Steel or poison things like Mandibuzz that are immune to Spore.

I couldn't think of what water I wanted with just those two so next up I knew I wanted some from of speed control so I thought Choice Scarf Urshifu made sense. It's extremely strong as a late game cleaner and threatens things like Alakazam and Dragapult who thinks they can stay in on it.

Then I thought I better have my own Urshifu counter since it's busted and wanted a rocker so I went with Kommo'o. Kommo'o is a pretty standard set and I like having another Toxic option. It also can work well against opposing Marowak.

I saw that I had 3 phys attackers at this point and one support type mon so I wanted a strong SpA threat that was fast. Removal would be pretty nice too. So Starmie joined in beautifully. Pretty underrated and Hydro Pump hits like a truck. It can even threaten out Chansey with some chip/SR up and a predicted Analytic Psyshock.

Finally I saw I didn't have a steel, didn't have a fairy so of course Magearna was gonna slot in. I needed an alternative SpA threat and wanted something that set up as a win condition so I went with the pain split/CM set. Working as a blanket check to a million other things is also a big plus.

Overall I think the team is super fun to play and a team that I can feel good about using. I generally dislike slower balance/stallish teams but this has the right amount of fair play with room to still outplay.

Weaknesses I would say are certain full stalls, any team with a very consistent rocker could be a problem considering Starmie is the only removal, and Volcarona could be an issue especially if Marowak can't just switch in for w/e reason and it's something like bulky Psychic/Giga/Flamethrower that'd be a whole GG.
Team B by katy
marowak-alola bulky offense

:marowak-alola: :ferrothorn: :mandibuzz: :alakazam: :keldeo: :dragapult:

pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/ac096df30bc64f50

explanation: 4 attacks a-marowak with thick club and stab flare blitz / poltergeist and coverage in earthquake and low kick for dark types, ferrothorn is the main-water-resist
with stealth rock and power whip to combat rain-teams better, knock off to get rid of items and leech ssed to maintain some recovery, whereas
mandibuzz defogs hazards away and has the foul play for setup-sweepers and u-turn to maintain momentum and it is also a good dark- and ghost-resist for the team.
alakazam is a dangerous setup pokémon with nasty plot this gen and to unveil its true power i've decided to go back to the roots with life orb and magic guard combination,
the 3 attacks are its stab in psychic and the coverage in focus blast and shadow ball. keldeo is the choice scarfer and gives some speed control and it can give momentum with flip turn;
stone edge is there for volcarona and scald aswell as secret sword are its stab attacks. last but not least dragapult yet another setup-sweeper with dragon dance and 3 attacks with dragon darts, phantom force and good priority in sucker punch to hit choice locked ghost-types. in overall that team builds on the momentum and support to bring in marowak or either of the 2 dangerous
setup pokémon.​
Team C by Egor

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Stun Spore

EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Knock Off

Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hex
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
To start off, I decided to pair Marowak-A with the Sand core: Marowak-A breaks down many Pokemon that stop Sand Rush Excadrill, notably Corviknight, Tangrowth, and most Slowbro (if not Kasib Berry/itemless). Amoonguss and Mandibuzz complete the defensive backbone of the team with Hippowdon. Dragapult was put last to fix the Rotom-H matchup, among other things like spreading paralysis for Marowak-A and bringing it and Excadrill on the field safely via U-turn.
Team D by Osmosis Bones
Hatterene (F) @ Aguav Berry
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tyranitar @ Rocky Helmet
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Ice Punch

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Ferrothorn @ Focus Sash
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This is my first time posting a team so I hope it's good. Hatterene provides type coverage but is mostly there to set up a trick room. Getting off one psychic or dazzling gleam could be feasible, but ideally you want Hatterene around to set up more trick rooms. The trick room allows Marowak to fly pretty well through most pokemon that don't wall him, especially if you pull off a swords dance. I've had varying experiences with Mimikyu but I think as a general rule it's a good idea to break the disguise before Marowak goes in. Tyranitar is there to counter Mandibuzz and carries taunt to deal with stalling methods, and Excadrill benefits from the sandstorm that Tyranitar sets up. Heracross deals with strong dark attackers that can switch in and destroy Marowak, as well as bulky normal types. Lastly, Ferrothorn is there for support as well as dealing with water types and bulky ground types like Hippowdon or Mudsdale. Overall you've got three pokemon that benefit from trick room and extra speed control in the form of sand rush for when it wears off. Most common obstacles in OU are accounted for, although dual-screen Grimmsnarl seems very adept at killing this team's momentum.
Team E by Revërberations
View attachment 257100

Brave Nature
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Close Combat

Alolan Marowak seems excellent (and very popular) with Trick Room support, given its low speed and high effective attack with Thick Club. However, I found that going all-in with Trick Room teams stacked too many weaknesses to Ghost and Dark, so I took a Fat Balance Volt-Turn approach. Hatterene was a natural partner to set Trick Room and reflect status/Stealth Rock with Magic Bounce, keeping A-Marowak operable and wallbreaking alongside it. The defensive core of Kommo-o, Mandibuzz, and AV Magearna is exceptionally strong in its own right, and covers most all of A-Marowak’s type weaknesses whilst providing U-Turn / Volt Switch momentum. Crawdaunt fills out the team as a priority option against fast sweepers like Volcarona and Alakazam, but doesn’t run 0 Speed investment to forgo an over-reliance on Trick Room, while still outpacing walls like Hippowdon and Slowbro outside of it. Not to say that Crawdaunt and the rest of the team’s lower than average speed can’t abuse Trick Room alongside the dedicated core, but it’s rare to expect a Magearna to sweep without SpA investment or stat boosts.
Team F by sparkwings

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Drill Run
- Psychic Fangs

Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Magearna @ Choice Specs
EVs: 152 HP / 220 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Fleur Cannon
- Trick

EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 48 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Scald
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Toxic
Team I built originally around CB Lycanroc. Marowak here functions as an Electric immunity and helps with opposing Magearna with its standard set. Lycanroc provides powerful priority and a bit of flavor. Mag helps vs opposing fat teams and stall, while the defensive core of Mandi + Bro can handle most of the tier Mag can also be Scarf, but I found Specs to be more useful with the amount of fat stuff being spammed on high ladder. Kommo-o ties it all together with another Grass/Dark resist to help compliment Bro, as well as providing rocks and spreading toxic to incoming pivots like Bro and Tangrowth. Mandi is EVd to live a +2 Gleam from Sash Alakazam, which can then be RK by Lycanroc or a healthy Mag, as well as outspeeding Azu. The rest is pretty standard.
Team G by Tapeworm

UrshiFuture Sight:
I'd heard of the awesome pairing of Urshifu and Future Sight Slowbro and have Future Sight force in things Urshifu can freely hit for hard damage and started from there. Spikes support also helps capitalise on the forced switches from Future Sight to wear teams down. Marowak makes for a great offensive Rocker and also enjoys the support of Teleport Slowbro to get it favourable match-ups and is another good partner for Fu in helping it soften up walls like Clef, Kommo-o, Hippo, etc, which is especially nice with the hazard support. Gweezing stuck around after the provisional build which had T-Spikes support instead, but remains here as a Defogger and a check to things Slowbro and Ferro wouldn't really like handling, like opposing Urshifu, Conk, Obstagoon, Zeraora, etc. Scarf Hydra compresses the roles of speed control, Ghost resist, Ground immunity, and Heatom check in one slot. T-Wave support on Hydra and Ferro is ideal as this team's average speed is slow as balls and my Scarfer hits like a wet towel, so being able to Paralyse things like Magearna, Zam, Cinderace, opposing Urshifu, etc is all very ideal in keeping up against them. The aesthetics are decently nice too, not bad colour coordination, and I'm sure would be just fine when Fu gets his sprite.
Ferrothorn (M) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Weezing-Galar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Toxic
- Defog
- Pain Split

Slowbro (M)
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 12 Spe
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Marowak-Alola (F) @ Thick Club
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Urshifu (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
Team H by chillwaffles

Sometimes, you just want to click buttons:

MAROWAK-A:
This is the first time I'm doing this, cause I'm new to building and battling but I thought this was a fun team. Sometimes, you just want to off your brain and click buttons, and this HO Trick Room Team is precisely the formula. Build around the core of Marowak-A + Slowbro. Bonemerang > Earthquake to take out any Focus Sash Alakazams. Last move is a toss up between SR, Shadow Bone & Knock Off. SR because I have no other SR user, Knock Off gets rid of Eviolite from Chansey, which can soft-check Marowak-A with Soft-Boiled and stall out the Trick Room. Shadow Bone deals with item-less Slowbro.

SLOWBRO: Speaking of which, item-less Slowbro helps deal with mirror match-ups or opposing Marowaks-A. It also takes less from Knock Off from the likes of Zeraora. Future Sight messes with opponent switch ins which is great for a HO team.

THE REST: Porygon2 and Magearna round up a great Trick Room Core, dealing with the likes of Hippowdown, Urshifu respectively. Azumarill provides priority and has a better longevity than Crawdaunt. Misty Explosion Hatterene just explodes on people to give switch initiative. Honestly, I don't think this team is that good as it is just a simple HO, but I found it fun to just chill + ladder with.

https://pokepast.es/e1870f83a732d656

Slowbro
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Trick Room
- Teleport

Brave Nature
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off / Shadow Bone / Stealth Rocks

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Teleport
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Magearna @ Pixie Plate
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Hatterene (F) @ Colbur Berry
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Misty Explosion
- Psyshock
- Mystical Fire
Voting will end in around 3 days from now.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
The voting phase is over (apologies for the delay)! These are the votes:
G>C>F>B>A>E>H>D
A>G>H>C>D>F>E>B
C>A>B>F>H>E>G>D
C>B>F>G>A>H>D>E
G>A=B=C=D=E=F=H
F>C>B>A>D=E=G=H
If we input this here, the result is a tie between team C by Egor and team G by Tapeworm. Congratulations! Your submissions will be added to the archive soon.

Week 10: Urshifu (Single Strike Style)

This week you'll be building around (Single Strike Style) Urshifu. You have until next Tuesday to post your teams. Good luck!​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)