Project SS RU Next Best Thing - On break

OP stolen from OU and UU
Approved by MrAldo
Banner by Kableye

RU Next Best Thing is here for Sword and Shield! This project tasks the most creative of participants with finding underexplored sets for familiar Pokemon, in order to let them function in a new and useful manner. This project is meant to encourage exploration of a Pokemon in the RU Metagame. With this in mind, not every set will become a metagame staple, and that's ok! We're here to discover what each Pokemon can do, so no matter the purpose of the set you make, your contribution is valuable. We're doing this both for research and for fun, so don't be afraid to give it a shot!

So, how's this going to work?
Each week, a Pokemon with the potential to have many options for sets will be selected. Participants must try to create a new set for it that is not already considered one of its main sets (either already in the Smogon Strategy Pokedex or in the process of being added).
On my signal, a vote will be held in order to choose which set is the most creative and viable in the current Gen 8 RU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is selected, the set will be listed in the Hall Of Fame below this post and the process will start over with another Pokemon.

VERY IMPORTANT RULES
  1. - Feel free to be as creative as you want, just make sure that you can prove that your set stands apart from the standard sets, especially if yours does not appear much different from the standard ones. It is also important that you understand the difference between a creative set and a gimmicky set- this project is meant to use creativity to maximize a Pokemon's potential, not produce gimmicks. We have a Heat Mons Thread for a reason! I may disallow sets if I deem them too gimmicky, situational, or unoriginal.
  2. - Avoid using single move/item changes, as they do not explore untapped potential of a Pokemon, but rather augment what we already understand of a Pokemon.
  3. - Feel free to post replays of your set in action! This is a great way to show how your set can be game-changing in certain situations.
  4. - I appreciate suggestions for Pokemon to cover in the future, but please send those directly to me rather than posting them in this thread!
  5. - Do not change your set after voting phase has started- doing so will result in disqualification.
  6. - You may not vote for your own set or persuade people to vote for you- these will also result in disqualification.
  7. - You may reserve a set, but if you haven't properly filled it in within 2 days of your reservation it may be taken by someone else. Additionally, sets that haven't been filled out by the time voting starts will not be included in voting until they are filled out. This isn't done to be mean, it's just to make things easier for both myself and other thread participants by ensuring that there aren't any blank submissions up for voting.
  8. - Don't be a jerk! We're here to make innovative Pokemon sets, not trash talk each other. If I see that you've been insulting other users because you don't like their set, I reserve the right to disqualify your set at a moment's notice. Constructive criticism is allowed and actually encouraged, but don't actively go out of your way to hate on people! That's just rude.
  9. - Nicknaming your sets is allowed and welcomed, but please use common sense and refrain from giving your sets vulgar or excessively edgy nicknames for the sake of a cheap laugh. The NBT thread and Smogon forums on the whole are not the places for things like that.
  10. - You are required to have fun!
• Q: I submitted my set, but it wasn't included for voting. What happened?
A: Your set was probably disqualified for either a lack of originality or for breaking the rule on set changes during the voting phase. Please refer to rules #1, #2, and #5.

• Q: Have you done an NBT week for [Pokemon] yet?
A: Good question! In the blurb above, I have the older RU NBT threads linked with their respective Halls of Fame. While most of these Pokemon aren't even relevant in the current metagame a select few are, so I probably will not be including them again unless their role in the metagame changes drastically. Additionally, in the second post of this thread is the current RU NBT Hall of Fame. If a Pokemon is listed here, I will not be covering it again. However, if you wanted to share a creative set for a Pokemon, don't worry! The heat mons thread has been mentioned throughout this post, and it's the best place to post any off key sets that wouldn't fit in the NBT thread.

• Q: You said in the rules that gimmicky sets aren't the point of the thread, but there are gimmicky sets in the Hall of Fame. What gives?
A: For context, this rule was added explicitly to avoid having more gimmicky sets show up. If you know me, you know that I'm more than down for a good meme set, but this just isn't the place for those and I didn't want the NBT thread to be cluttered with sets like these so I've decided to be significantly more strict with them since. Now, if a set that would otherwise be considered heat actually has some practical applications, I'll usually allow it, but that's because I think it falls more under creative thinking than flat out heat sets.

This FAQ section will be updated over time. If you have any other questions that haven't already been answered here or need clarification on one of the rules, please contact me directly through either Discord or private messaging on the Smogon forums.

Last edited:

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:ss/klefki:
Klefki @ Ring Target
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Switcheroo
- Spikes
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave

The premise of this set is to trick a ring target to a ground/flying/fairy/steel in order to let teammates take advantage of no immunities, this works especially well with Xurkitree, Regidrago (although this'll rarely happen), and CB Rhyperior.

Last edited:
Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

from using :klefki: on hos I've often found myself thinking that games don't last long enough for toxic to rack up significant dmg. so i looked for stuff that might help me set up spikes more consistently -> if you magrise on :seismitoad::rhyperior::steelix::flygon::gastrodon::golurk::tyrantrum::gigalith: you can usually get up two spikes or more for free. downside is you have to trade rocks with most of these mons but that needs to be taken account of in the teambuilder. getting more spikes up is great cause all the grounds have bad recovery which stuff like :xurkitree::slowbro-galar: or :tyrantrum: can exploit rlly well.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Imprison
- Dazzling Gleam / Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave / Spikes / Calm Mind

This is fun little set I've used to some success. Basically the deal with it is to block defog by imprisoning the opponents defogger to keep your hazards up. Klefki can work as a Spiker here, or it can be used to spread status with Thunder Wave. Alternatively Flash Cannon can be used over Dazzling Gleam to apply even more pressure on Togekiss and Crobat, 2 of the tiers most prominent Defoggers, but losing the Fairy Stab is less than ideal. And if you really wanna be spicy, you can also run Calm Mind to Imprison Suicunes Calm Mind and Calm Mind up yourself to become a threatening key chain.

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Klefki @ Heat Rock / Damp Rock
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day / Rain Dance
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

This Klefki is pretty simple. The Weather Setters that RU currently has access to (Politoed, Torkoal, etc.) are not very good Pokemon outside of their respective roles. Torkoal, in particular, has a tendency to get worn down unless you are running boots. This Klefki gives these Hyper Offensive playstyles useful Spikes Support while also acting as a secondary weather setter should things get hairy for your standard weather setter. TWave is chosen over Toxic on the off chance a fast scarfer who might give one of your sweepers headaches is on the field as Klefki is.

Last edited:

Klefki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm / Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes / Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

Slightly surprised that this wasn't a banned set - we all know what Ol' Reliable does. While the tier has quite a few options for screen setters by now, with the AVeil users offering offensive presence, Xatu offering Magic Bounce, etc, Klefki's access to the Arceussend that is Prankster still makes it my favourite of the lot.

Last edited:
Switcheroo Klefki

Klefki @ Lagging Tail
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Switcheroo
- Foul Play

General idea
Here we have a variation of the standard set with Switcheroo + Lagging Tail in order to have some Spe control towards targets neutral to Thunder Wave such as Ground-type pokemons. Lagging Tail is extremely effective and, in return, Klefki gets another item that can be used at our advantage or it can be switched again. Just be wary of Assault Vest although we can use Klefki to block Knock Off spam.
Prankster Toxic is here because it is really good towards bulky pokemons, whereas Foul Play is still good because it doesn't need to have a good Atk to work.
Prankster Spikes are always a good support move to have.

The EVs spread is pretty standard, but it is highly customizable.

Last edited:

Aquarius Ghost ❤

Banned deucer.
This weeks winner goes to zizalith with the magnet rise set!!!! Your set will be added to the hall of fame :)
Anyway lets get on to week 2

From being one of the best Wallbreakers in the Ru-Tier, Sigilyph, had made an impact in the tier by being banned from RU. With it having a great typing, movepool and ability to threaten anything in the RU tier. Lets see what else this pokemon can do!
Banned set
Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Roost

[/hide]

Submissons will end next sunday at 2pm gmt -8

Last edited:
Flame Orb Psycho Shift Sigilyph

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power/Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power

General idea
This set is well-known in Random Battles because Sigilyph is able to boosts its defences while being immune to status and with Roost to reliably recover its health. Psycho Shift + Flame Orb will burn physical attackers, most importantly Dark-types that hit us super-effectively, and deal chip damage that is useful to reveal some items such as Leftovers, Black Sludge and Lum Berry and neutering a Focus Sash.
Stored Power is the only attacking move of the set and can lead Sigilyph to sweep the opponent's team.
If this thing is able to use Cosmic Power twice, only few moves can outdamage the hp restored with Roost. Be wary of criticals and Knock Off.

EVs (spread) and item
The EV spread is focused into HP and Spe in order to outspeed max Speed+ Drapion to burn it immediately.
I don't think that investing into SpA makes sense because this is a set defensively oriented; alternatively, you can choose Calm Mind over Cosmic Power if you want more offensive presence.
Flame Orb is the key item of the set becaude this pokèmon will not take any damage from the self-inflicted burn, thus crippling physical attackers with Psycho Shift. 16 Def EVs allow Sigilyph to reach 200 Def points.
A set with Toxic Orb is also possible, but you lose a lot defensively.

Team(mates) support
Dark and Steel-type pokemons check/counter this Sigilyph and, in general, targets immune to Stored Power, which is our only attacking move, so a way to properly deal with them is mandatory.
In return, this Flying-type pokemon can cripple multiple physical attackers and can sweep if most of its checks are weakened.

Last edited:
Specs Sigilyph

1610956765677.png

Sigilyph @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

Sigilyph has a very high SpA stat, so I thought I'd complement that with Choice Specs and Tinted Lens. Whilst it will take hazard damage, requiring the team to have reliable hazard removal to continue to get Sigilyph in over the course of a match, Tinted Lens means that you will hit even switch-ins resisting your attack very hard. The movepool is decent as well, could easily have Psyshock, Dazzling Gleam, Dark Pulse, Flash Cannon and Shadow Ball; so should your team require a different coverage move, Sigilyph provides plenty of options.

3 Attacks Life Orb

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Nothing heat here, just a good ass set. 3 Attacks Life Orb threatens so much of the meta, with nothing wanting to really take a life orb boosted attack from sigi. Even dark types are threatened with dazzling gleam (Umbreon takes around 30-35%) so it will have to constantly have to wish up to be healthy. Sigi has a fantastic speed tier at 97, putting it above a good chunk of the meta. Roost is there to keep sigi healthy throughout the match, as it has decent enough bulk with 72/80/80 and a good defensive typing with psy/fly. Also as an added bonus it doesn't take SR damage or LO recoil bc of Magic Guard, so it has to be hit by direct attacks to be worn down. Goat mon tbh, should have more usage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)