Project SS RU Teambuilding Competition - Round 8: Mimikyu

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Approved by MrAldo
OP stolen from Sensei Axew

1612790781332.png

Thank you to Flareblitzkreig for the amazing banner!​

Welcome the Pokemon Sword and Shield RU Team Building Competition! This competition encourages players and builders to create a team around a Pokemon that of my choosing. The premise of the competition is that players have five days to build and submit their teams. If other users have suggestions for other users' teams, don't be afraid to give them in this thread! Just remember to be respectful and only give constructive criticism. After the five days are up, users will have 3 days to vote for the best team. The winner of the best-voted team will be submitted into the Hall of Fame! I hope you all have fun participating in this competition, and if you want to, you must follow these simple rules!:

1. Do not be disrespectful to anybody when giving criticism
2. Do not copy other builds
3. Follow the format listed below and make sure to build around the given Pokemon
4. You may work with other people but make sure to credit all of the builders who worked on the team
5. You are not allowed to vote for your own team when the voting phase begins
6. Do NOT ask people to vote for your team

Here is an example of the format:

This team rocks a Quiver Dance Ribombee, which I personally consider to be the best set in this meta for a multitude of reasons. Roost is amazing so you can repeatedly switch into Virizion, and Mega Blastoise almost countlessly, and Fairium Z is just an all-around amazing nuking move for shit like Umbreon, and other mons. HP Fire does like 35 to Metagross unboosted which is phenomenal damage especially after you start boosting. Raikou is there to break bulky waters and things like Golisopod. Machamp is absolutely amazing when it comes to being a wallbreaker and synergizes with Raikou amazingly because it stops the bulky special walls that will usually stop Raikou in its tracks and prevent a sweep. Mega Blastoise is just here for removal and it's pretty much just your bread and butter Mega Toise spread and set. Roserade is here to set up Spikes and make Ribombee's job easier while breaking bulky waters for the team. Metagross is my stealth rocker and is easily the best choice for this team as it provides a Rock and Flying-type check.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions and have fun!

Last edited:

Mac3

1st: Goldcat (3 pts)
2nd: Mac3 (2 pts)

1st: Goldcat (3 pts)
2nd: zizalith & Sputnik (2 pts)

1st: Expulso (3 pts)
2nd: AKAmattherus (2 pts)

1st: Sputnik (3 pts)

1st: NEON_Voyagar (3 pts)

1st: GoldCat (3 pts)
2nd: Yourwelcomethanku (2 pts)

1st: GoldCat (3 pts)
2nd: Yourwelcomethanku (2 pts)

1st: Goldcat (12 pts)
2nd: Mac3 (6 pts)
3rd: Sputnik (5 pts)
4th: Yourwlecomethanku (4 pts)
5th: Expulso, NEON_Voyagar (3 pts)
7th: AKAmattherus, zizalith (2 pts)

Last edited:

Mac3

Round 1: Zygarde-10%
:ss/Zygarde-10%:
Diggersby has rendered Zygarde relatively unexplored in the post-DLC2 meta, but after Diggersby's ban Zygarde is one of the only offensive grounds we have left in the tier. This makes it a great 'mon to build around for round 1.

Voting starts Sunday the 3rd at 9pm GMT +1

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
:ss/zygarde-10%::ss/zarude-dada::ss/cobalion: :ss/gastrodon-east: :ss/slowbro-galar: :ss/thundurus:
(Click for Pokepaste)
I decided to build around the tried-and-true CB set, but with a small twist in opting for Scale Shot in the last slot over the more common Superpower. Scale Shot gives Zygarde a (potentially) strong Dragon STAB without the need to overcommit and lock itself in with Outrage. Also, the Speed raise creates more opportunities for Zygarde to late-game clean by outrunning every common Choice Scarfer. If you don't find Scale Shot too useful you can replace it with Superpower for that sweet 31,3% chance of OHKOing Zarude. Speaking of which, Zarude is up next due to it being an amazing pivot, which can safely get Zygarde in multiple times throughout a game. Zarude also covers bulky Waters for Zygarde and any Toxic thrown towards Gastrodon. Cobalion, Gastrodon, and Galarian Slowbro is the team's defensive core. Cobalion sets Stealth Rock and is the team's Zarude check. Gastrodon's main role is to stop opposing Calm Mind Galarian Slowbro. Next is Galarian Slowbro, which is the team's Fighting resist and is a very devastating setup sweeper, which setups against Zygarde's checks such as bulky Water- and Grass-types. Shuca Berry is preferred over Colbur Berry, as Rhyperior can be quite annoying with it potentially having Megahorn for Zarude or is CB to break past Gastrodon. Thundurus stops Nasty Plot Togekiss from straight-up 6-0ing this team and is overall a great VoltTurn partner to both Zygarde-10% and Zarude.

Mac3

:dragalge::zygarde-10%::cobalion::cresselia::togekiss::thundurus:

I built this team around Zygarde + Dragalge, as Dragalge can pivot on steels to bring in Zygarde, Dragalge can also set up toxic spikes then pivot into Zygarde before the opponent can bring in their poison type. I then added Cobalion for rocks, and a Zarude check, while also adding to the volturn core with Dragalge and Thundurus. I then added wish Togekiss to allow Dragalge and Cobalion to keep healthy under a match. SubCM Cresselia was the final addition as I felt the need for a Zygarde switch in, while also being a wincon with weakened steels.

Mac3

I apologize for the delay! Voting phase (click on teams for import)
Team #1 - :zygarde-10%::zarude::cobalion::gastrodon::slowbro-galar::thundurus: - GoldCat
Team #2 - :dragalge::zygarde-10%::cobalion::cresselia::togekiss::thundurus: - Mac3

Vote for 1 submission, and if you have a submission you may not vote for yourself. Voting ends Thursday the 7th.

I vote for GoldCat's submission.

Mac3

The votes are in!

GoldCat - 4
Mac3 - 1

Congratulations to Goldcat for coming in 1st and Mac3 for coming in last!

Round 1: Electric Spam
:ss/raikou::ss/thundurus::ss/toxtricity::ss/xurkitree:
Electrics are the most dominating type in the meta right now, so for this week, you guys will have to use a minimum of two of them instead of just one.

Voting starts Tuesday the 12th at 9pm GMT +1

Last edited:

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
:ss/xurkitree::ss/rotom-mow::ss/seismitoad::ss/sylveon::ss/cobalion::ss/incineroar:
Click the Mons for the Paste

This was a rather interesting challenge, so I decided to build it around an interesting Electric in Rotom-Mow. The team focuses around slowly racking up damage and removing certain threats in order to let Scarf Xurkitree run wild in the late game. WispFog Rotom-Mow handily forces out several of the tiers Voltblockers, such as Seismitoad, Rhyperior, and Gastrodon, and punishes many rockers, such as the aforementioned Seis and Rhyp but it can also burn things such as Metagross. Seismitoad acts as the Stealth Rocker and Ground while also messing with the legendary Dogs. Slyveon is there to keep Mower, Seis, and Incineroar healthy. Swords Dance Cobalion uses its nice speed tier to act as a scary mid game wallbreaker and potential secondary sweeper, with Zen Headbutt used as a final move in order to give some leeway against Toxtricity and other Poisons. Incineroar, finally, acts as a secondary Zarude check as well as another Ghost sponge.

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
:ss/vikavolt: :ss/toxtricity: :ss/zarude-dada: :ss/seismitoad: :ss/metagross: :ss/noivern:
Choice Specs Toxtricity is one of the hardest Pokemon to switch into, but its low Speed means faster threats can easily deal with it. To compensate I decided to go with Sticky Web Vikavolt as my other Electric-type. Vikavolt is also a decent pivot with nice defensive utility. Zarude is an excellent VoltTurn partner to Toxtricity, as it can safely bring Toxtricity in against Togekiss, Weezing-G, and other Pokemon trying to switch in on Zarude. Seismitoad provides invaluable support in Knock Off to remove Heavy-Duty Boots so that Sticky Web can actually be useful. Choice Band Metagross is the team's secondary Webs abuser. It also provides a Fairy resist and priority in Bullet Punch. Lastly, Noivern is chosen for speed control outside of Webs and a way to revenge kill big threats like Thundurus and Zygarde-10%.

:ss/pincurchin::ss/lucario::ss/swoobat::ss/hitmonlee::ss/raichu-alola::ss/slurpuff:

this is a team i built with Timbuktu in the ru ps room based off his idea of terrain pulse :lucario:. psychic and grass coverage don't do much to hit its targets so we went with :pincurchin: to hit bulky waters way harder without having to rely on focus miss. basically, the team revolves around breaking holes with any of the team members so something else can go crazy late game.

:pincurchin: is just there to set terrain and do something useful with memento because god this mon sucks. :lucario: can break teams that depend on their bulky water and sweep with vacuum wave. :swoobat: is an incredibly threatening sweeper that can set up against an ungodly number of mons. :hitmonlee: is usually the most consistent cleaner but can wallbreak decently with bulk up. :raichu-alola: usually pivots around but goes off when the ground type is dead. finally, cmcg :slurpuff: is surprisingly not as terrible as i expected and sets up on a lot of stuff p easily which lets it break once the steel type is weakened.

because this is hyper hyper offense, all of these mons can both wallbreak and sweep depending on the situation and the specific matchup. for example:
:lucario::raichu-alola: are great vs haze :milotic: balances so :swoobat::slurpuff: can sweep late game
:slurpuff: can abuse teams with :steelix: as their steel type which enables :raichu-alola: to spam rising voltage freely,
:hitmonlee::lucario::swoobat: can weaken real steel types like :registeel: so :slurpuff: can sweep.

however i have been told this team is extremely annoying to face so take that as a warning

Mac3

Voting phase (click on teams for import)
Team #1 - :xurkitree::rotom-mow::seismitoad::sylveon::cobalion::incineroar: - Sputnik
Team #2 - :vikavolt::toxtricity::zarude::seismitoad::metagross::noivern: - GoldCat
Team #3 - :pincurchin::lucario::swoobat::hitmonlee::raichu-alola::slurpuff: - zizalith

Vote for 1 submission, and if you have a submission you may not vote for yourself. Voting ends Thursday the 14th.

I vote for zizalith's submission.

Mac3

Sorry for the delay, forgot about this.

GoldCat - 3
zizalith - 1
Sputnik - 1

Congratulations to Goldcat for coming in 1st and zizalith & sputnikk for finishing shared 2nd!

Round 3: Durant
:ss/durant:
Durant used to be one of the most threatening 'mons in SM, and was banned at the advent of USM. This gen it was graced with First Impression, which propelled it to UUBL for most of generation 8, however now it is just A- rank here in RU, so I think this is a great opportunity to see how well it can do in this meta.​

Voting starts Tuesday the 19th at 9pm GMT +1

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:durant: :noivern: :zarude: :rhyperior: :heracross: :reuniclus:

https://pokepast.es/2f9b4d103c457758

:durant: + :noivern: This team uses U-turn Noivern to bring in Life Orb Durant versus some of Noivern's common switch-ins, fairy types and AV Psychics. In return, Durant benefits from Noivern's ability to check Fire-types and Electric-types that can force out Durant. I think these two are a really solid core to support Durant.

:Zarude: Zarude can immediately switch into bulky waters, which every team needs but also a thing that helps Durant in particular due to its Iron Head being resisted by bulky waters. There are other grasses but I think Zarude does it best.

:Rhyperior: Rhyperior is nice to get hazards up versus every common Defogger while also helping to force chip onto bulky Water-types, which works well in combination with Durant. It also LOVES being paired with Zarude, since it can U-turn on the Flying-type switchins that let Rhyperior freely attack or get rocks up.

:heracross: Scarf Heracross gives the team another offensive Electric-type check as well as another Ground resist, helping versus Zydog. Versus fatter teams, it also has activity with Spikes and Knock. (Spikes also gives me an excuse to not run removal on Noivern; get Spikes up and start Knocking your opponent, and they will be the one who wants hazards off)

:reuniclus: Finally, AV Reun further solidifies the team against special attackers that can exploit Durant while also Knocking and providing Future Sight support to make late-game Hera more dangerous.

Last edited:
Hey I really like this thread and was building up towards participating, but with no other teams posted I felt it was time to step up. So, I have this team, it's certainly not the best (any feedback is appreciated, my main goal with following this thread is to try to get better at building), but I wanted to give this competition a shot so here we go!

durant.pngrhyperior.pngroserade.pngincineroar.pngstarmie.pngraikou.png(click for paste)

durant.png
- I decided to give Hone Claws a shot, since (for me at least) I tend to lose games from missing Hustle more often than winning thanks to the power boost. The lack of First Impression is dearly missed, but all in the sake of accuracy!

rhyperior.png
- Rhyperior has been a favorite RU mon of mine for years, and I decided to go with the classic SpDef set to be able to tank hits from things like Chandelure and Toxtricity, which can be scary for Durant. Rhyperior can even tank a non-specs Scald from Raikou in a pinch.

roserade.png
- Electric types with coverage to hit Rhyperior (Grass Knot Thundurus + Scald Raikou) seemed like a big threat to the team, so Roserade seemed like a nice next pick. It serves as a solid water, grass, and fighting check for Rhyperior, while also bringing secondary hazards in Spikes, should Rhyperior not have a chance to go for rocks. Leech Seed is pretty slashable, but in the right situations it can give the rest of the team a little recovery. For example if you expect the steel type to come in you have the option of Spike or Leech to at least get some value. It's pretty wack, but it can be perfect sometimes.

incineroar.png
- Next I needed something that could switch into Zarude a little better, so Incineroar seemed like a solid pick, since Close Combat doesn't seem that common on Zarude. It basically functions as a utility pivot to stallbreak with Taunt and Knock Off, and then Parting Shot out to Durant or another offensive threat. So of course it has the speed IVs to outpace bulky waters like Suicune and Milotic, giving you the chance to Taunt and then either Knock Off or Parting Shot. It has the rest into HP for bulkiness and SpDef to tank weak scalds and other various special attacks if necessary.

starmie.png
- To complete the FWG core, and to give the team a little speed and power, not to mention some hazard control, Starmie joined the team. The idea was to run Leftovers + Analytic to make people think it's more of a defensive spinner, to then only get hit hard by an Analytic Hydro Pump. Look at me, going for inaccurate moves. I'm just asking for trouble.

raikou.png
- To add more speed and power, along with another Electric check, is Raikou. Assault Vest has actually been really useful to be able to switch on on water types and opposing electrics. In the right situation it's also a great way to bluff a choice item, and then hit their ground type with a scald.

So first of all congrats to Expulso for winning this week! I am glad to have taken part and even gotten some votes. I'm not sure how common it is to re-post the team, but I figured it would be best to wait until after the voting was done. Expulso not only won this week but gave some great feedback that the team has no Thousand Arrows switch in as well as very limited speed control. So I made a few changes:

durant.pngrhyperior.pnggolisopod.pngincineroar.pngtsareena.pngraikou.png(click the team for the paste)

So the main changes of course are Golisopod and Tsareena, who both switch into Thousand Arrows a lot better. Golisopod also brings First Impression to the table (something the Durant set had to miss out on), as well as Spikes, so the team won't be missing that from Roserade. Golisopod also maintains the Water typing lost by swapping out Starmie, who is replaced by Scarf Tsareena. Tsareena not only maintains the team's ability to Rapid Spin, but also is a Grass type that actually resists ground moves (one of Roserade's few issues). The team certainly feels a lot better versus certain threats and still keeps much of the original energy, so yeah, thanks for the input! Looking forward to more building.

Last edited:

Mac3

Getting this underway again. We start with the voting phase for Durant (click on teams for import).

Team #1 - :durant::noivern::zarude::rhyperior::heracross::reuniclus: - Expulso
Team #2 - :durant::rhyperior::roserade::incineroar::starmie::raikou: - AKAmattherus

Vote for 1 submission, and if you have a submission you may not vote for yourself. Voting ends Wednesday the 10th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)