Project SS RU Teambuilding Competition - Round 8: Mimikyu

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to NEON_Voyager (notice how theres no delay) for winning!

Voyagar - 2 votes
mac3 - 1 vote

Round 6: Talonflame
:ss/talonflame:

Talonflame is a niche flying-type in this meta, and building around it requires thought put into what it gives over Crobat and Noivern. Talonflame can be very underprepped for on many teams, which makes it the perfect candidate to be built around. Deadline for submitting teams is the 10th of June.

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Defog Talonflame Balance
:ss/talonflame::ss/seismitoad::ss/porygon2::ss/metagross::ss/raikou::ss/heracross:
Click the mons for the paste

Talonflame is a lot of fun for punishing mons like Zarude and Mienshao long term with Flame Body, so I decided to buy into its defensive utility with a Defog/Wisp set. I supplemented this with Seismitoad, who has very nice defensive utility thanks to it helping to pivot around Rhyperior and adding Water and Rock resists in general. A need to check Tox and the fact that my primary electric check had no recovery necessitated Porygon2 as a third defensive mon, as well as acting as an important Ghost immunity in order to deal with threats such as Chandelure and Golurk as effectively as possible. I actually kind of like Choice Band Metagross right now, as bulky resists to its standard moveset are not especially common right now, and with proper prediction, it can do some real damage. At this point I wanted something that could reliably revenge kill Togekiss, so I went with a standard BootsTox Raikou that also lets me force Toxic onto things that annoy Metagross and Heracross. Speaking of Heracross, I put it there as speed control that can be an emergency Zarude check while also acting as a wincon.

:ss/Gigalith: :ss/lycanroc: :ss/Celebi: :ss/Flygon: :ss/Milotic: :ss/Talonflame:
https://pokepast.es/aac5b34e055b70d7

So i decided to bring a sand team. Talonflame has pretty good synergy with sand handling Steel and Grass types. Talonflame can also act as a valuble pivot. Celebi can U-turn on pokemon like Noivern to bring in for set up. This Celebi also has Heal Bell to releive Flygon and Milotic of status. Celebi is also a psychic+fighting resist allowing it to effectively While Talonflame is a good steel check it can easily be put on the backfoot making a second check like Milotic greatly appreciated. Flygon is able to provide a Raikou counter and Defog very good. Lycanroc is able to take advantage of Gigalith's sand to become a scary set up sweeper with the team helping pivot it in. Gigalith provides sr and sand not much else to say

Voyager

He didn't notice that the lights had changed
:bw/Crobat: :xy/Talonflame: :bw/Gastrodon: :bw/Steelix: :ss/Zarude: :sm/Xurkitree:
click sprites for paste (first time i did this yay)

I felt alot of talonflame balances ended up being quite toxic weak so I added crobat to help with that issue. This also allowed me to try out super fang bat. I added a gastrolix core as 2 flyings are obviously quite electric susceptible. Zarude acts as a ghost resist aswell as uturn in order to try and allow the team to make offensive progress, the team was already quite fast with 2 flyings so i decided i would run hdb. Xurk is the toge check and is very threatening by itself which is important as otherwise the team doesn't really do much offensively. Not as happy with the team this week.

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
Talonflame + 3 Attacks Roserade Balance
:bw/roserade: :bw/bronzong: :bw/gastrodon-east: :bw/togekiss: :bw/ditto:
https://pokepast.es/32fa78b3d8c89484

From the start, I had the pivot set in mind, as I think it's by far Talonflame's best current set. I chose Will-O-Wisp over Defog because I think Talonflame is a rather poor Defogger compared to Crobat, which at the very least can reliably remove Roserade's Spikes. Speaking of which, I knew right away that I wanted Roserade next to take advantage of Talonflame pivoting on Rock- and Water-types. Roserade also helps the team against Raikou and Xurkitree. Originally I had Spikes on it but I quickly noticed that the team started to pack a Chandelure weakness and I didn't want to add Incineroar, so I went ahead and replaced Spikes with Shadow Ball. I also ended up with no Knock Off users, so Spikes wouldn't have been much of any use anyway. Bronzong is up next and it takes full advantage of Talonflame's unique qualities over Noivern and Crobat. Because it's a Steel-types immune to Spikes, it doesn't miss Crobat at all. Talonflame also is great for punishing Zarude, which can come in more or less for free against Bronzong. Gastrodon provides an Electric immunity as well as a solid answer to Barraskewda and Volcanion. Nasty Plot Togekiss greatly appreciates Talonflame here, as it can burn Rhyperior and Diancie so it has an easier time trying to break them. Togekiss also works as a sturdier Fighting-type check than Talonflame. Ditto is last because I needed a Choice Scarf user to make up for the overall sluggish nature of the team. The reason why just Ditto was chosen is that the team was extremely weak to Polteageist and it's the only Scarfer that can revenge kill it.

Mac3

Congrats to GoldCat for winning!

GoldCat - 2 votes
ywt - 1 vote

Round 7: Doublade
:ss/doublade:

Doublade has always been a little bit under the radar this gen, as being a slow steel that doesn't beat Togekiss or Zarude restricts the teambuilder quite a bit. However, ghost resists that beat Doublade's coverage are often not used, while the most common check, Gastrodon, is a very shaky one. Voting starts Friday the 18th.

:ss/Doublade: :ss/Sylveon: :ss/Incineroar: :ss/Noivern: :ss/Raikou: :ss/Flygon:
https://pokepast.es/8a082c13f2c00afe
Doublade is de way.
Doubaldes lacks longevity and does not appreciate spikes. Wish Support Sylveon is able to cover the longjevity issue with Incineroar patching up the Ghost Weakness. Doubalde in return is able to have the invaluble role compression of countering Cobalion and Reuniclus in one pokemon. This Doubalde set has Toxic which Raikou apprecaites as Doubalde is able to pretty reliable land Toxic onto Gastrodon or it be the other way around as Raikou also has Toxic. Flygon is able to keep spikes off the field so that Doublade and my Knock Off sponge Sylveon arent crippled by them. Noivern and Raikou are the last 2 pokemon on a relatively slow team that help fix the speed issue. Raikou also providing a Togekiss check and Noivern being a generally good pivot.

Last edited:

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
Swords Dance Doublade Bulky Offense
:ss/doublade: :ss/cobalion: :ss/diancie: :ss/gastrodon-east: :ss/roserade: :ss/crobat:
https://pokepast.es/31a0d5553dd733a0
I decided to pair Doublade with another pseudo Steel-type in Cobalion because of one of the best qualities about Doublade is that it hard counters CM Reuniclus, which is a hard stop for SD Cobalion. Together they also help each other weaken shared checks and counters like bulky Water-types and Ground-types. Another great thing about Cobalion is that it can put Zarude in range of unboosted Close Combat from Doublade by just switching into Zarude's attacks and have it take Rocky Helmet damage. The biggest flaw with Doublade is that it isn't a "true" Steel-type, so it loses to a lot of the things it's supposed to check like Togekiss. To make up for this flaw I paired Doublade with Diancie. Diancie checks a good amount of the Pokemon that a Steel-type should typically check like Togekiss and Noivern while also being a decent check to Pokemon like Chandelure. Gastrodon is up next and is the team's Electric immunity and Volcanion answer. Roserade helps the team with Electric-types like Raikou and Xurkitree. Spikes isn't really neccessary on this team, though it's nice for Seismitoad, so other moves like Aromatherapy or Extrassenory could be used instead. I have made this mistake once before and will never repeat it again and that's using Doublade without a good Roserade answer. Crobat fills that roll, is a Mienshao switch-in, and can Defog Spikes away, which otherwise hinders Doublade a ton.

Mac3

Congrats to GoldCat for winning with two votes!

Round 8: Mimikyu
:ss/mimikyu:
mimikyu is a mon that has fallen off quite hard since the RUWC meta, as the HO's it thrived on and against have been very rare lately, especially after the ban of light clay. however, it is still very good which is shown by its winrate in RUPL and this is why i challenge yall to build with it for this round. Voting starts Sunday 27th.

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
Most of Mimikyu's checks and counters are affected by Spikes, so I paired it with Roserade. Next, I wanted Cobalion because it handles Zarude which is a huge pain for Mimikyu and it also provides Stealth Rock. I went with Stone Edge over Iron Head to help with Chandelure while still hitting Togekiss for good damage. Golisopod provides Knock Off support so the team takes full advantage of Spikes by it removing Heavy-Duty Boots. It also prevents the team from being run over by Barraskewda. Up next is Raikou to help with Togekiss. I decided to go with Extrasensory as the last move on Raikou due to Cobalion being a poor switch-in to Roserade. Last I have Noivern to patch up weaknesses to Volcanion and Mienshao while adding a great speed tier to the team.

Clicky Clacky Webs HO
https://pokepast.es/889916380519d1a8
:ss/Mimikyu: :ss/Ribombee: :ss/Cobalion: :ss/Lucario: :ss/Flygon: :ss/Slurpuff:

Mimikyu being harder to revenge Kill on webs teams is good. I grabbed webs and 5 Pokémon that could push buttons. Lucario and Cobalion wear down each others checks as well share a few checks in Milotic and Gastrodon. Cobalion also checks Zarude for Mimikyu. Thanks Mac3 for the cool Cobalion set. DD Flygon serves as a ground immune as well a threatening sweeper. Slurpuff can take advantage of revenge killers like scarf Mienshao and Noivern.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)