Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Work Up
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Dragvally carves out a niche for itself by having a solid defensive typing in this meta, which gives it plenty of chances to come in each game and wear down the opposing team. It is able to exploit the common Vaporeon + steel cores as not being weak to the normal coverage run on Steelix or Copperajah allows it to stay in and 2hko with +1 flamethrower. Flash cannon allows Dragvally to hit fairies as well as hitting Rhydon for a lot of damage (63% min at +1 to max hp). It appreciates wish support in able to come in on Ninetales and Rotom-Mow throughout a game and as its checks don't have any reliable recovery, being able to wish it back up to full once its checks are weakened make it a very scary prospect for standard teams. It trades Drampa's access to reliable recovery for better bulk and a much better speed tier.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1112756642 I was able to chip away at Copperajah as the opp had no switch-in other than it. Dragvally also came in on the opposing Xatu and Vileplume, which gave it ample opportunities to click attacks. I misplayed on turn 26 as I shouldn't have clicked work up but otherwise, Dragvally was a massive threat to the opponent's team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1112808871 Dragvally was able to exploit its speed tier to outspeed both Gallade and Braviary and click its unresisted STAB move, I got a lucky crit on Rhydon with iron head (before I realized that flash cannon was better) but other than that Dragvally was able to consistently come into the battle and click Multiattack.

Other noms/drops I will briefly touch on:

:slurpuff: A- to A: There are very few mons that live an attack from a +6 Slurpuff, in the A rank those are; Steelix, Rhydon, and Vileplume. All of these are chipped very easily, and as Slurpuff has a good defensive typing in pure fairy, it often finds opportunities to set-up, making it a very dangerous late-game sweeper.
:ferroseed: B- to B: Ferroseed is able to counter a lot of top tier 'mons at the moment, Rotom-Mow, Inteleon, Duraludon, naming a few, and if it gets a free switch, it's able to set up spikes which are very good right now as our defoggers are easily pressured.
:toxicroak: B+ to A-: Toxicroak is able to break past almost the whole tier with its NP set, while also being able to use an SD set which have very different counters, often making opponents lose a valuable turn in dealing with it. It can also use scarf in order to revenge a lot of the tier with STABs + eq + knock.
:Salazzle: S to A+: Salazzle got a lot worse in the most recent drop as Vaporeon is able to counter it very effectively thanks to heal bell while also being able to use Salazzle as wish fodder. Inteleon is also able to pressure Salazzle as it outspeeds and ohkos.
:qwilfish: B- to C+ / C: Its a water type that doesn't beat any of the fires and also loses to Inteleon, and is also a poison type that doesn't check Virizion. I think that it's niche as a spiker isn't enough to warrant it as B- material right now.
:lanturn::mr-rime: C/C+ to UR: Lanturn is outclassed by Vaporeon which has access to reliable recovery, only offering an electric immunity which isn't useful as it loses to the tier's best electric in Rotom-Mow anyway. I haven't seen Mr. Rime in forever and its niche as an offensive ice type is done better by Frosmoth and Sneasel while Avalugg is a better defensive spinner.

sensei axew

i’m not a stop along the way, i’m a destination
is a Community Contributoris a Three-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey everyone! Just wanted to do a quick noms post because I feel a lot of things are misplaced right now.
RISES

:Virizion: A+ to S: Virizion is a complete powerhouse and honestly the best pokemon in the tier right now. With its plethora of viable sets and coverage options, it becomes a madhouse in the builder when you're trying to check it. Your Vileplume gets Zen Headbutted, your Dhelmise gets Air Slashed, your Xatu gets Stone Edged. Virizion is just unreal right now and should easily be S rank.

:Scrafty: A- to A+: Scrafty is also phenomenal in the current meta sporting two incredibly hard to deal with sets in Dragon Dance and Bulk Up. Dragon Dance Scrafty is very very very hard to beat if it gets to +2 and can even be extremely troublesome just at +1. With an amazing stab combination, and access to Iron Head for Fairy types, it's left to be countered by Vileplume and Weezing which aren't hard to chip throughout the match. It's access to Moxie also furthers its capabilities. Specially Defensive Bulk Up is also difficult to deal with due to its insane bulk and access to Shed Skin for Rest/Status but can be exploited much easier and unlike the Dragon Dance set, it's completely walled by Fairy types.

:Slurpuff: A- to A+: It's just broken. Belly Drum. Play Rough. Drain Punch. Facade everything else. It's quite literally only walled by like two Pokemon and cant even be crippled with status due to Facade. There's been some counterplay like Scarf Salazzle and Inteleon but neither of them can really do much if Slurpuff is under veil. I'd honestly vouch for this to be S rank but it doesn't have enough tournament usage to back it up.

:Vileplume: A- to A: I think its a joke that Vileplume is A- rank right now. Sure, it isn't as good as what it used to be 2 months ago, but it's still the tier's best Physical wall and is extremely annoying to play around.

:Toxicroak: B+ to A: Toxicroak sports Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and Choice Scarf which can all be detrimental to deal with. Not gonna write too much on it because others have covered it to the crisp, but this should definitely not be in the same tier as FROSMOTH come on now.

:Sneasel: B to A-: Sneasel being B rank is also a joke. This thing is incredibly powerful, has good STABS, extremely fast, and overall just a really good breaker.

:Rotom-Fan: C+ to B: I really do think that Rotom-Fan is completely underrated with what it can do. But no one's gonna listen to me about this anyway, I'll just keep using it for myself it's fine.

:Accelgor: C to B-/B: Throat Spray Accelgor is also really underrated, it literally cannot be outsped after Unburden and it's got decent coverage.

DROPS

:Charizard: A to A-/B+: Personally, Charizard got a lot worse with the new additions to the tier. It's easily walled by Vaporeon, Snorlax, and Gastrodon, it can really only afford to have Fire-type STAB which is honestly pretty bad, and cant even reliably check the things that it wants to such as Passimian (Knock Off), Vileplume (Sludge Bomb), and Virizion (Stone Edge). It's still good due to its high speed tier and ability to just Toxic everything, but it's nowhere near as good as what it used to be.

:Indeedee: A+ to A: I honestly haven't seen Indeedee do much of anything lately and it's definitely gotten worse with the additions of Drapion and Vaporeon.

:Frosmoth: B+ to B: The moth sucks.

:Raichu-Alola: A+ to A-: I agree with Expulso, def isnt as good as what it used to be.

:Cinccino: :Lanturn: :Persian-Alola: (whatever tier) to UR: Eh, don't think any of these are viable anymore.

Last edited:
Some of my nominations:

1589763659579.png
1589763733495.png
1589763740349.png
- Whatever tier they are to A- : The reason for the drop is the recent ban of both Inteleon and Slurpuff. These three Pokemon have lost one of their core purposes on checking those two Pokemon. That’s why I believe they should drop.

1589763880383.png
(Fairy) A- to A: Silvally-Fairy has faced lots of competition from Slurpuff since the last month. Now that Slurpuff has left the tier, Silvally-Fairy is now the dominant Fairy-type that can check the prominent Fighting-types.

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
1589763659579.png
1589763733495.png
1589763740349.png
- Whatever tier they are to A- : The reason for the drop is the recent ban of both Inteleon and Slurpuff. These three Pokemon have lost one of their core purposes on checking those two Pokemon. That’s why I believe they should drop.
None of those should drop, Vaporeon was not used just because it was a Intelleon check, but because it's niche as a (cleric) Wish passer, Fire type check, etc is still highly valuable on the current metagame and it def shouldnt drop
Rhydon's rank is not even because of puff hello? it got owned by both of its variants, Rhydon's main niche is as a premier rocker who can check physical threats and fire types(bar tales)
Lix def shouldnt drop too, its a check to a plethora of other mons other than Puff, checking puff was one of the additional things it did

and altho Fairy vally and Puff have completely different roles, I agree that fairy vally should rise, it has been a premier defog user on current meta along with the fact that it can check multiple threats with many of its coverage options

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Thought I'd bring in my VR thoughts for the first time. I don't have any new suggestions, but I saw a few opinions thrown around that I want to support/oppose.

:Silvally:(Fairy) | A- to A - Support | I believe Silvally-Fairy is a very powerful threat in the current meta. It's a pretty splashable Defog user as Ampha said, similar to Charizard. Its coverage is great; Flamethrower, for example, makes Toxicroak think twice about coming in, something that one would assume to be a check. There's a hell of a lot of other small interactions like this that make it pretty difficult to deal with for many teams. Not to mention that having a +2 Silvally staring down your Sticky Webbed team is terrifying LOL

:Raichu-Alola: | A+ to A- - Support | With the addition of threats such as Drapion, I feel Raichu-A has begun to wane a bit. Many people go to Rotom-Mow or Vikavolt for an Electric-type from what I've seen. I don't have much to say here that hasn't been already though, Expulso explained it really well.

:Toxicroak: | B+ to A- - Support | While I don't think it's A material (too inconsistent compared to the other A tier mons imo), Toxicroak is definitely a strong threat. I think the Nasty Plot set is underestimated by a lot of players in my experience, sometimes it just wins the game when the opponent has like one check killed. However, it's definitely a set that can just fall apart against some team comps. The others are just as good in many situations though, but I think I'm just a broken record at this point so let's move on.

:Mr_Rime: | C+ to UR - Oppose | From what I've seen with Molk, Mr. Rime can break apart balance cores pretty well. It has access to Rapid Spin, recovery in Slack Off, ability to Nasty Plot up and deal significant damage, and moves like Encore and Taunt to ruin walls. The argument that Sneasel is a better offensive Ice-type is a bit odd given their execution of the role is completely different; though I can understand Frosmoth. Avalugg being a better spinner is also largely debatable imo, as Rime can potentially Taunt Defoggers, walls or spinblockers, then turn them into setup fodder. It at least has a niche over it. It can also erase Aurora Veil in those fringe matchups, but eh. It does way too much to not at least be ranked. It's at least C Tier, but not something that should be removed.

:Vaporeon: | A to A- - Oppose | Absolutely not. Vaporeon is a huge boon for so many Pokemon in the tier. Heal Bell and Wish alone make it amazing. I don't think I need to explain why the arguments ImperialGamer517 put forward are poor; Vaporeon was far, far more than an Inteleon check. It checks the large amount of Fire-types in the format, supports sweepers with moves such as Heal Bell, spreads Burns with Scald, acts as a switch-in to Pokemon such as Cramorant who rely on Water coverage, and more. It does so many things. Why has this even been considered?

Last edited:
1591297983025.png
I nominate Raboot to C Tier.
Raboot is a good Pokémon with the right support. Just slap a spinner on your team, use a Dark-Type to counter Jellicent, maybe give it Spikes support and use Sableye to block Rapid Spin and give said Sableye Taunt to prevent Defog. Under the right circumstances, Raboot can be a devastating cleaner with Choice Band and a Libero boosted Sucker Punch for faster Pokémon and Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick for slower Pokémon. I have trouble placing the bunny any higher because it is frail and Base 94 Speed isn’t enough to outrun a lot of Pokémon, so run a Jolly Nature so it can get the jump on Pokémon it normally wouldn’t outrun with an Adamant Nature. Watch out for Choice Scarves, too. Here’s some footage where I used Raboot in action. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1126358037

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
View attachment 251839I nominate Raboot to C Tier.
Raboot is a good Pokémon with the right support. Just slap a spinner on your team, use a Dark-type to counter Jellicent, maybe give it Spikes support and use Sableye to block Rapid Spin and give said Sableye Taunt to prevent Defog. Under the right circumstances, Raboot can be a devastating cleaner with Choice Band and a Libero boosted Sucker Punch for faster Pokémon and Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick for slower Pokémon. I have trouble placing the bunny any higher because it is frail and Base 94 Speed isn’t enough to outrun a lot of Pokémon, so run a Jolly Nature so it can get the jump on Pokémon it normally wouldn’t outrun with an Adamant Nature. Watch out for Choice Scarves, too. Here’s some footage where I used Raboot in action. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1126358037
I support this and want to add some bits on! I talked about this with some friends when it first dropped, and it seems really good.

A big benefit to Raboot is the fact it's one of the few Fire-types in the format without a Snorlax problem. High Jump Kick has an 18.8% chance to OHKO unboosted when Jolly, but with a Life Orb or even Expert Belt, it becomes a guaranteed one. Here are some calcs without any boosts;
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 593-697 (113.1 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Expert Belt Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 547-643 (104.3 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • If you don't like recoil, don't worry!
  • 252 Atk Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 456-536 (87 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
    • 68.8% to OHKO if Adamant.
  • 252 Atk Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 456-536 (87 - 102.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 456-536 (87 - 102.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 3 layers of Spikes

Here's a set I've used a bit, though it isn't perfect. I also include some possible modifications to the set, which are very relevant to why I think this Pokemon should be ranked.
:ss/Raboot:
Naruto? (Raboot) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sucker Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Taunt

You can do a few things with the set, though;
  • If you don't want it to die quickly with Flare Blitz + Life Orb recoil, you could use Blaze Kick instead. The lack of Pyro Ball seriously hurts though.
  • As mentioned in the calcs, Expert Belt can still guarantee the OHKO.
  • You can drop the Speed EVs to 232+ and put the rest somewhere else to just outspeed Rotom, the rest isn't really necessary.
  • It's possible to run a Choice Band or Scarf set with U-turn; Scarf nicks Indeedee-M even when Jolly. All you need is the 252 Attack EVs.
    • 252 Atk Libero Raboot U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Indeedee: 282-332 (108 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • Note that you cannot Sucker Punch Indeedee-M, so this is likely your only way out of this matchup.
  • If you want more coverage, Gunk Shot exists and has a high chance to OHKO, any boost and it'll nick it. It's a bit shakier here though as it has to eat a hit if it wants the guaranteed OHKO (no Scarf).
    • 252 Atk Libero Raboot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Fairy: 308-366 (93 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
  • It gets Flame Charge so you could possibly run that? Not sure how reliable this would be.
  • If you really wanted to you could use Grassy Seed + Acrobatics but eh.
  • I also think a Bulk Up + Eviolite set could be possible, but this thing is MAD frail so I don't think it'll be viable.

Now while I've gassed this mon to hell and back, it does have some glaring flaws. Namely, Speed. It has 94 base Speed, which leaves it just out of the realms of scoring a speed tie with Indeedee-M, Drapion, and a few others. While you can run a Choice Scarf, it does lose some very relevant power as I've outlined. Any relevant boosted threat can and will outspeed Raboot. To make matters worse, Raboot is frail as shit. 65/60/60, even on some kind of Eviolite set, isn't allowing it to stick around for long. It'll also have a Stealth Rock problem given running Heavy-Duty Boots is very difficult; it relies a lot on its item. This will also make it a bit of a Knock Off lure, so I would recommend someone like Silvally-Fairy to absorb it while having a non-Knockable item. As a result, I feel the C Tier placement is perfectly fine and support it.

Hey all, i'd like to post a few of my thoughts, in particular, my thoughts on a few of other people's noms.

First off,
:scrafty: A- -> A (Support)
DD Chople Sets in particular have shown a lot of promise rn. Scrafty's good uninvested bulk, amazing STAB combo and decent coverage in Iron Head/Zen Headbutt, all culminates in a hoodlum lizard capable of immense levels of snowballing, which has really shone in recent times, in both the ladder and in tours. Expulso had some replays of this thing sweeping through teams in RUgged mountain, but I have a few ladder replays of my own, which showcase an alternative set choosing Shed Skin over Moxie.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1126961171 - yeeted Goaterboy's whole squad with a bit of spikes support
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1126969313 - this replay in particular is very nice as it shows Vapo scald burning Scrafty, only for Shed Skin to heal the burn and start a Dragon Dance -induced sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ru-1126994024 - fuck vileplume

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
:raboot: UR -> C (??????????????)
uh. what.

:cinccino: (idk) -> UR (please)
this poke nets about -10% damage each game it is used.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
:vaporeon: A -> A- (Honestly, not all that unwarranted)
Let me preface this by saying - Vaporeon is by no means a bad presence in the metagame as of now. Its wishpassing adeptness is more or less unmatched, and it is an amazing blanket check to a good chunk of 'mons. However, it has quite a big flaw that should be taken into account before completely denying a drop (although imperialgamer's reasoning was by no means the best).

This thing can be setup fodder for the likes of CM virizion, SD Lum Gallade, and NP Raichu, to name a few. Having to rely on wishtect for recovery can oftentimes be detrimental to the vaporeon user, as as I've said just before, it opens up a lot of windows for mons to set up on it and potentially sweep your team. It also nurtures a distaste for the rise in :rillaboom:, as it'll basically be forced out if boomer isn't burnt or anything.
Vaporeon not being able to do notable amounts of damage to pokemon not weak to water-type moves means that it's gonna be a p big momentum drain in the long run. This accentuates the fact that it does often get forced out, as anything that isn't weak to water and has access to the move Taunt (jellicent, sableye, ice cream) can basically fuck it over and prevent it from doing crap.

Last edited:
I support this and want to add some bits on! I talked about this with some friends when it first dropped, and it seems really good.

A big benefit to Raboot is the fact it's one of the few Fire-types in the format without a Snorlax problem. High Jump Kick has an 18.8% chance to OHKO unboosted when Jolly, but with a Life Orb or even Expert Belt, it becomes a guaranteed one. Here are some calcs without any boosts;
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 593-697 (113.1 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Expert Belt Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 547-643 (104.3 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • If you don't like recoil, don't worry!
  • 252 Atk Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 456-536 (87 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
    • 68.8% to OHKO if Adamant.
  • 252 Atk Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 456-536 (87 - 102.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252 Atk Libero Raboot High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Snorlax: 456-536 (87 - 102.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 3 layers of Spikes

Here's a set I've used a bit, though it isn't perfect. I also include some possible modifications to the set, which are very relevant to why I think this Pokemon should be ranked.
:ss/Raboot:
Naruto? (Raboot) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sucker Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Taunt

You can do a few things with the set, though;
  • If you don't want it to die quickly with Flare Blitz + Life Orb recoil, you could use Blaze Kick instead. The lack of Pyro Ball seriously hurts though.
  • As mentioned in the calcs, Expert Belt can still guarantee the OHKO.
  • You can drop the Speed EVs to 232+ and put the rest somewhere else to just outspeed Rotom, the rest isn't really necessary.
  • It's possible to run a Choice Band or Scarf set with U-turn; Scarf nicks Indeedee-M even when Jolly. All you need is the 252 Attack EVs.
    • 252 Atk Libero Raboot U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Indeedee: 282-332 (108 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • Note that you cannot Sucker Punch Indeedee-M, so this is likely your only way out of this matchup.
  • If you want more coverage, Gunk Shot exists and has a high chance to OHKO, any boost and it'll nick it. It's a bit shakier here though as it has to eat a hit if it wants the guaranteed OHKO (no Scarf).
    • 252 Atk Libero Raboot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Fairy: 308-366 (93 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
  • It gets Flame Charge so you could possibly run that? Not sure how reliable this would be.
  • If you really wanted to you could use Grassy Seed + Acrobatics but eh.
  • I also think a Bulk Up + Eviolite set could be possible, but this thing is MAD frail so I don't think it'll be viable.

Now while I've gassed this mon to hell and back, it does have some glaring flaws. Namely, Speed. It has 94 base Speed, which leaves it just out of the realms of scoring a speed tie with Indeedee-M, Drapion, and a few others. While you can run a Choice Scarf, it does lose some very relevant power as I've outlined. Any relevant boosted threat can and will outspeed Raboot. To make matters worse, Raboot is frail as shit. 65/60/60, even on some kind of Eviolite set, isn't allowing it to stick around for long. It'll also have a Stealth Rock problem given running Heavy-Duty Boots is very difficult; it relies a lot on its item. This will also make it a bit of a Knock Off lure, so I would recommend someone like Silvally-Fairy to absorb it while having a non-Knockable item. As a result, I feel the C Tier placement is perfectly fine and support it.
Wow! I didn’t even THINK of that!

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
:vaporeon: A -> A+
:charizard: A -> A+
These two should rise to A+, together with Steelix (the undisputed #1 SR setter following Xatu's departure) they form the most reliable defensive backbone in the meta. Vappy's WishTect + Heal Bell set provides heaps of utility to any balance team and is extraordinarily annoying to kill to boot, often requiring teams to run a Toxicroak or a special attacking Grass type to reliably answer it - unless you're brave enough to switch your physical attacker into a Scald. This is where Charizard comes in and easily checks a bunch of the threats that would give Vaporeon trouble, such as CB Rillaboom, non-Stone Edge Virizion, Vileplume etc. Its bulky set also remains one of the best hazard control options in the meta. While by no means infallible, this core is meta-defining enough to be A+

:raichu-alola: A+ -> A: While I agree with some of the above posts that Raichu is not quite worthy of A+ due to its frailty and lack of defensive utility, I think A- would be slightly underselling this threat. The main thing that sets it apart for me is how it blasts through the standard FWG + Lix cores that are so common in the meta rn. Yes, it struggles to come in, but it's not like viable U-Turn support isn't available, and yes it's quite weak, but it hits so many common threats (Zard, Vappy, Lix, Virizion, Rhydon, Plume etc etc) supereffectively that in practice it's way more of a menace than one would think. Its ability to rk Virizion also shouldn't be underestimated since it makes it a lot less annoying to build with stuff like Scarf Rilla.

:silvally:-Poison UR -> B-: I'll leave it to the VR council to figure out what's appropriate for this thing, I'm just saying B- because the C ranks are full of unholy garbage and silv-poison is a cut above that imo. Poison is a very nice defensive typing rn, and Silv-Poison can distinguish itself from other Poisons thru access to Defog as well as improved Speed and offensive presence compared to, say, Weezing, while maintaining vastly more defensive presence than the likes of Salazzle or Toxicroak. Here is a replay from RU snake since that's mandatory when making UR noms I think, unfortunately the mixed offensive set I devised did not quite work out the way I wanted because apparently people run specially defensive gastro but whateverrr. It's absolutely not top tier or anything and it tends to suffer from 4mss but I think it has its place on certain teams, it's at least no less viable than Silvally-Ground and since that thing is ranked this thing should be too.

:whimsicott: B -> B-/C+: This mon is unfortunately kinda dogshit, it has a cool enough typing and Prankster Encore will always be neat but it's difficult to justify running this over the plethora of extremely good Grass types in the tier rn. It's so weak and frail that it cannot reliably beat any specially oriented Virizion sets for shit despite its typing and speed, it requires Specs Energy Ball to even 2HKO Vaporeon, and generally I feel you're just not getting a lot of mileage out of it outside of very specific builds.

:duraludon: A- -> B+: Very strong mon no doubt, but it's just too difficult to build with to warrant a spot in the A ranks. Its set of resistances would be very useful, but unfortunately its special bulk is pathetic so all the thing you'd like to check with it just blow it back in the long run. This makes it a Steel-type that does none of the things you'd want a Steel-type to do, so it kinda sucks a lot of the time. Has its spot on certain offensive builds, but not solid enough to be A-

:coalossal: B- -> B: It may be somewhat passive, but it's also one of very few mons to be able to beat Salazzle and Ninetales at the same time while compressing roles on offensive builds. A cut above the rest of B- imo

Furthermore I agree with Salazzle going down to A+, it's still amazing of course but it's not seen nearly as often as you'd imagine from an S rank threat and the advent of Vappy means that there are less situations where Lazzle "does something" every time it comes in. Virizion meanwhile seems more and more like an S rank threat, it just has so many good sets with different checks, recently I've seen mixed LO which is about as annoying to check defensively as Raichu-A while offering way more defensive utility. It just feels like "the best mon" in the meta rn so I think S is warranted.

Also every hazard setter that got cockblocked by Xatu (Ferroseed, Garbodor, Qwilfish, Roselia) could probably stand to rise a bit, idk which mon fits where tho so I'll leave that up to whoever has more experience with these mons

Finally:
:boltund: seems ranked way too high in a lix-infested meta, its ability to outspeed lazzle seems to be the only thing that really would make it worth running over raichu and idk if thats enough to justify B
:galvantula: same issue as boltund except its speed tier is worse than raichu. its dual stab would be nice but again, lix meta is lix meta. it gets webs but then vikavolt just seems like the better pick 90% of the time if you're going with that. maybe webs ho will catch on and this thing will carve itself a significant niche but frankly i doubt it
:morpeko: ?
:cinccino: ???
:lanturn: a bulky water that can beat electrics sounds nice but the problem is that our electrics dont actually lose to this, meanwhile it lacks recovery unlike other bulky waters and is so weak that it gets 1v1d by vaporeon. into the trash it goes

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
1591701867478.png
B- to B / B+

I was already a big advocate for Garbodor before Xatu's rise to UU but now with it gone Garb just got 10 times better. Garbodor checks a lot of prominent threats such as Passimian, Toxicroak, Silvally-Fairy, Rillaboom, Salazzle, and most importantly Virizion. Virizion can be at times extremely difficult for Balance to defensively check with its myriad of sets in SD, CM, Specs, and mixed. Garbodor fills this Virizion shaped hole in Balance's defenses by being a complete blanket check to all of Virizion's sets. The biggest flaw with Garb is its lack of reliable recovery making it susceptible to quickly getting worn down throughout the battle but luckily Garbodor pairs perfectly with Vaporeon. Vaporeon provides WishSupport and in return, Garbodor takes on Toxicroak and Virizion. Garbodor also pairs wonderfully with the rising superstar Rillaboom. Absolutely loving the passive recovery from Grassy Terrain and obviously appreciating Earthquake being weakened. Garbodor is fantastic as a Spiker with it having a great matchup against most of the Defoggers such as Silvally-Fairy, -Steel, Rotom-C, and Charizard. It also has ample opportunities to set up Spikes against the 'mons it checks, and I find it always being able to get up two layers of Spikes.

Garbodor being a Spiker that threatens the common Defoggers while checking multiple top tier threats definitely warrants it to be ranked B+. It should at the very least be ranked together with Weezing in B. Both are quite similar in their roles and what they check/counter but they've distinct key differences. Weezing's greater physical bulk, Will-O-Wisp, and Levitate allows it to better check Rillaboom, Passimian, and Bewear. On the other hand, Garbodor's higher special bulk allows it to naturally avoid the 2HKO from Specs Virizion's Focus Blast after Rocks (something Weezing can only dream about). Having access to Spikes is a no-brainer. While I think Garbodor's traits put it far higher than Weezing (and everything else in B), I can definitely get behind the argument for Weezing's advantages making them equals. Garbodor is also an underexplored 'mon so B rank seems like a good starting point.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:salazzle: Salazzle: S -> A+ [or even A]
Salazzle is no longer the best Pokemon in RU. A bulky water [Vaporeon / Jellicent] is on the majority of teams, and these bulky waters are very sturdy counters to Salazzle, KOing it with their STAB and having reliable recovery. Even physically defensive Vaporeon doesn't take more than 36% from Salazzle, and Jellicent takes under 22%. Coalossal and EQ Charizard have risen in popularity, and they each can take its attacks reliably and OHKO it back [especially if Zard runs SpDef investment, which imo it should]. Vaporeon's prominence also means that cleric support is much more common in RU, reducing the importance of its status-spreading.

:rotom-mow: Rotom-Mow: A+ -> A
Virizion and other bulky grasses like Vaporeon Vileplume (lol oops) being more common means that its STAB combo is less effective, since the other grasses beat it with their STABs. Drampa's rise in popularity also hurts it. Additionally, its normal switch-ins like Steelix can prevent it from coming in for free with Body Press, which 2HKOs it. Other mons can take advantage of bulky waters about as well as it can, so I don't think one of the very top mons in this meta [although still quite good!]

:virizion: A+ --> S
Dominant offensive threat, can run physical, special [Specs or CM], or mixed all-out-attacker sets to basically choose its counters. Very little can switch into it safely; counterplay involves running very bulky, momentum-losing mons like Aromatisse or Weezing, or trying to predict it successfully to get something like Salazzle, Scarf Croak, or Scarf Drap in safely vs it. It can switch in vs the bulky waters that are super common in this meta. Its speed tier is excellent; stuff like Raichu-A and Sneasel have become common lately largely due to the fact that they can outspeed Viriz and hit it super effectively [while still being good offensive threats otherwise; i am just saying this to show that 'outspeed & KO Viriz' is a role that's very much in demand]
viriz is the top dog in this meta and should be S, imo.

:vaporeon: Vaporeon: A -> A+
:charizard: Charizard: A -> A+
i agree with termi; both are super dominant Pokemon that can cover tons of the meta. they can be taken advantage of / hard-stopped by some things [Vapo rly cant beat grass-types, zard can't do much to water types (esp. vaporeon, with heal bell)], but they provide tons of utility to any team as the best all-purpose wall and Defogger, respectively.

:jellicent: Jellicent: A- -> A
Jelli is really good rn: bulky water that also checks fighting types and can Taunt oppposing Vaporeon to shut down Wish and Heal Bell support, making it much easier to break thru common balance cores.

:silvally-fairy: Silvally-Fairy: A- -> A
i dont feel like writing much abt this mon but: it's one of the few fairy-types in RU, coverage beats its few resists [fairy is a busted offensive typing] and multi-attack hits very hard neutrally. it can sweep with flame charge or just be an unstoppable wallbreaker with Work Up + coverage; it can even work as a Defogger on teams that can't fit Zard.

:frosmoth: Frosmoth: B+ -> A- (or A, even)
the moth is super good in a meta dominated by Charizard and Steelix, which don't actually resist Ice (meaning that there are very few Ice resists). It can set up very easily on bulky waters like Vaporeon and non-Toxic Jellicent with its excellent special bulk and then KO them with Giga Drain. [you 100% need to run Giga Drain on this]

:coalossal: Coalossal: B- -> B or B+
i'm a believer baby!! as a hazard setter that beats Zard while also providing removal and walling threats like Ninetales and Salazzle, Coal brings a lot to the table and we have underrated it in the past. It is legit good in this meta even though it needs support to do anything to things like Vaporeon / Jellicent (after all, Zard needs support to touch them, and it's an A+ mon).

:qwilfish: Qwilfish: B- -> B
Spikes are so good without Xatu, and being able to threaten the most common Defogger in Zard is a great niche for a Spiker. It can also shut down Vapo / Jelli with Taunt, helping qwilfish's teammates maintain chip/status on the other opposing mons and giving it an opportunity to set more spikes. although it is a bulky water that can't switch into ground types, which is awkward to build with, it is also a bulky water that doesn't let Grass-types like Viriz/Rotom-C in for free due to its secondary stab attack. Very cool mon rn. Watch this rupl replay where it goes in extremely hard: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-505353

:silvally-poison: silvally-poison: ur -> B- [agree with termi]
:garbodor: garbodor: b- -> b/b+ [agree with goldcat]
:raichu-alola: raichu-a: a+ -> a: agree with termi, i like it more now than when i made the nom down to a- [e.g. now it doesnt compete with inteleon for speedy breaker] and think it's a cool pick, very tough to switch into which makes up for its very poor bulk

tl;dr: i agree with termi

Last edited:

Mavis

Banned deucer.
Okay everyone, it's time for our final VR shift of the pre-DLC meta! There's a lot to cover here, so let's get started. Rises of two or more subranks are marked in green, and drops of two or more subranks are marked in red.

Charizard: A -> A+
Coalossal: B- -> B
Drampa: A -> A+
Frosmoth: B+ -> A-
Hitmonlee: B -> A-
Ninetales: A -> A+
Rillaboom: A- -> A
Silvally-Fairy: A- -> A+
Snorlax: A- -> A
Vaporeon: A -> A+
Vileplume: A- -> A
Virizion: A+ -> S
Toxicroak: B+ -> A-
Garbodor: B- -> B
Qwilfish: B- -> B
Abomasnow: C+ -> B-
Sneasel: B -> B+
Froslass: C+ -> B-
Haunter: C -> C+

:charizard:: Charizard once again cements itself as a top-tier glue Pokemon, providing incredible utility to teams by virtue of its splashability, Defogging, and solid defensive typing. Its place among the elites of the tier should be beyond question now, as its arguably the tier's best Defogger.

:Coalossal:: Slept on for months due to its abysmal defensive typing and pitiful offenses, Coalossal is certainly a late bloomer. However, better late than never, as it can use its Fire-type-countering potential to set both Stealth Rock and Spikes, as well as spread burns against enemy teams and Rapid Spin on them too.

:drampa:: Drampa once again proves itself in spades, as its dual STABS backed up by an array of potential moves, like Flamethrower, Roost, and Calm Mind allow it to fashion itself into a multifaceted offensive weapon, wielding equally dangerous Choice Specs and Chople + Calm Mind sets.

:frosmoth:: Frosmoth took its time entering the A ranks, but in recent tournaments it's proven itself a star. Ice Scales is as busted as ever, and its bread and butter Quiver Dance set is an incredible cleaner.

:hitmonlee:: With the advent of Grassy Terrain Rillaboom as well as a small Indeedee resurgence, Hitmonlee finds itself in a better spot than ever to abuse its brutal Unburden cleaner sets.

:ninetales:: Ninetales has fully embraced its role as the sunbringer, being able to completely shatter any team without one of a tiny handful of dedicated answers. Revenge killers must be able to deal with Ninetales, as its powerful Fire Blasts enable it to rend opposing balance to shreds. On off times, it even enables powerful Sun wallbreakers, like Leafeon and Vileplume, to bring out their full potential.

:rillaboom:: Grassy Surge was just what the doctor ordered, giving the previously-ailing Rillaboom a new lease on life. Ally Hitmonlee now have a much easier time getting Unburden boosts off, Ninetales loses its Earthquake weakness and gets passive recovery, and many more Pokemon, including Silvally forms most notably, love the pasive recovery. Rillaboom loves the additional boost to its Grass STAB, making both Choiced and setup sets more dangerous than ever, and most deserving of an A ranking.

:silvally: (Fairy): Silvally-Fairy touts itself as one of the best pivots in RU, with its powerful Multi-Attack backed up by great coverage, essentially enabling it to pick and choose what switches in safely. Any combination of Rock Slide, Surf, Flamethrower, Defog, U-Turn, and Work Up can be chosen for the last three moveslots, allowing Silvally-Fairy to be a versatile, unpredicable threat. As an additional feather in Silvally-Fairy's cap, Steelix have stopped running Steel STAB all the time, potentially allowed it to get past a massive would-be obstacle more easily.

:snorlax:: Catch-all special sponge Snorlax finally gets its big break into A, owed to its impressive handling of top meta threats Vaporeon, Rotom-Mow, Drampa, and of course the big three Fire-types. With the ability to turn its walling of some of the best Pokemon in the tier into Curse-boosted or Choice Banded assaults, every team must have a way to handle Snorlax, lest it slowly boost up and run you over.

:vaporeon:: Vaporeon being A+ should come as no surprise to anyone who's touched RU since it dropped. It's an incredibly common sight on all but the most offensive of team archetypes, bringing immense Wishes, sturdy walling, cleric support, and various utility options to the table. Vaporeon's splashability and ability to support a myriad of offensive threats makes it among the best in RU.

:vileplume: After falling off just a little bit due to the influx of Fire-types, Vileplume finds itself in a prime position to succeed once more in the wake of Xatu's departure and emergence of the number-one Pokemon in RU, Virizion. Growth sets are as strong as ever, and walling the rising stars Hitmonlee and Rillaboom is certainly no joke.

:virizion:: First ORAS, them USM, now SS. With newfound access to Air Slash, breathing new life into its Calm Mind set as well as introducing a brand-new mixed set to complement the existing Swords Dance sets, Virizion stands atop RU as a versatile, powerful, speedy, and unpredictable threat, capable of tearing apart teams in a multitude of different ways. All teams must have multiple answers to Virizion, or they stand a great risk of being crushed by it.

:toxicroak:: Toxicroak enjoys being able to boost and wallbreak on both ends of the spectrum, making it a brilliant offensive check to the incredibly dangerous Vaporeon and Virizion. This niche has become more important nowadays, placing it into the A ranks at last.

:garbodor:: Xatu's departure means Spikes are back in vogue, and Garbodor becomes an excellent Virizion check that can lay them in turn. While not being at the center of the tier, it's a Pokemon that suffered a lot under Xatu's dominance of the hazard scene in RU and now looks to bring its Virizion-checking, Spikes-laying toolkit to RU's popular balance teams.

:qwilfish:: Just like Garbodor, Qwilfish is a Spikes machine that suffered from Xatu. Now that it's gone, Qwilfish finds its way onto offensive teams once more, to do the exact samr thing its been doing for the past four generations- set up Spikes and either Explode or Destiny Bond to take something out. This time around though, it once again can be used as a solid Virizion check.

:abomasnow:: A great offensive check to Vaporeon, Abomasnow can fish for a strong matchup and then deal out huge amounts of damage with its excellent STAB combination, great coverage, and potential Aurora Veil team support, though it's overshadowed somewhat by the stronger and faster Vanilluxe.

:sneasel:: Sneasel's something of an oddity- despite RU being infested with Fire- and Fighting-types, Sneasel somehow manages to carve out a niche as both a Swords Dance user and a powerful Choice Band revenge killer. It also wields the most powerful Knock Off in the tier, allowing it to cleave through Fire-types and Vaporeon with ease.

:froslass:: Insert something something about Xatu, Spikes are good again, et cetera. Froslass reprises its role as a Spikes-stacking heavy offense lead from previous generations with a new life within RU's B ranks.

:haunter:: Haunter is a niche but powerful wallbreaker with a typing as excellent as its defensive stats are pitiful. Its a great glass cannon and requires a lot of support to function, but it's a cut above C rank.

Claydol: B -> B-
Cramorant: B -> C+
Duraludon: A- -> B+
Galvantula: B -> B-
Gastrodon: A- -> B+
Raichu-Alola: A+ -> A
Runerigus: C+ -> C
Salazzle: S -> A+
Whimsicott: B -> B-
Silvally-Ghost: B+ -> B
Silvally-Steel: A- -> B+
Morpeko: B- -> C
Kingler: B- -> C+
Avalugg: C+ -> C
Gurdurr: C -> UR
Rotom-N: B+ -> B
Boltund: B -> B-
Silvally-Dark: B+ -> B-
Rotom-Fan: C+ -> C
Alcremie: C -> UR
Mr. Rime: C+ -> UR
Piloswine: B- -> C

Dugtrio-Alola: C+ -> C
Lanturn: C -> UR
Rotom-Frost: C+ -> C
Persian-Alola: C -> UR

:claydol:: Virizion's oppressive dominance over RU, combined with other miscellaneous monsters such as Rotom-Mow and Vaporeon running around, as well as the slight dropoff of Rhydon, makes Claydol not as much of an appealing choice as it once was.

:cramorant:: Sad as it is, Cramorant suffers from a lot of common issues, and while it is still a very unique Pokemon, RU's two best Defoggers overshadow it greatly. Rotom-Mow and Vaporeon can both use it as fodder for free turns, and Ninetales messing with both Hurricane's accuracy and Surf's power is none too beneficial for our crammy friend.

:duraludon:: Duraludon is RU's best non-Ground-type rocker, but that doesn't mean much when it gets run over by every Fire-type out there. While it's a definite cut above most of the tier, Duraludon has slumped a little in the face of Virizion, Steelix, and Ninetales' strength. Narrowly, it's been placed into B+.

:galvantula:: Galvantula really just suffers from a cacophony of problems. It's frail, not super strong, has no recovery and cannot easily place itself onto balance teams due to one huge, glaring issue- Vikavolt exists. Vikavolt overshadows Galvantula on all but the most hyper-offensive of teams, with its better bulk, Roost, and Ground immunity. It's a sad time for the spider.

:gastrodon:: Overshadowed by Jellicent and Vaporeon, Gastrodon suffers from being quad-weak to Grass, preventing it from serving a role a bulky water should be expected to- checking Fire-types. Virizion's dominance and Rotom-Mow's widespread popularity do it no favors, either. It can still hang with the big dogs of the tier, but it's harder overall to place on teams nowadays.

:raichu-alola:: Raichu-Alola was incredibly strong to the point of being council voted upon its arrival, but it's slumped off recently- in the wake of Sneasel's surge and Rotom-Mow being a great check, Raichu-Alola now finds itself hard-pressed to run train as it once did. Make no mistake though, it's still very much worthy of a place in the A ranks.

:runerigus:: It's a poor man's Steelix that can barely attempt to check Fighting-types and can't even learn Toxic. Bewear often carries Lum berry, Passimian uses it as momentum fodder, and the less said about Virizion, the better. Sure, it handles Toxicroak, but really- you can get away with Mudsdale or Steelix more or less anywhere you'd want to use Runerigus. Toxic Spikes are nifty, but they aren't enough to save Runerigus from the depths of C rank- Vileplume, Toxicroak, and Salazzle make sure those don't get too far in any given game.

:salazzle:: It used to be said that every time Salazzle hit the field, progress was made. Now, with the rise of Vaporeon and Snorlax, that's no longer the case. Teams now have more ways to thwart Salazzle, and while it's still an absolute menace on par with the best in the tier, things will go off with a few more hitches than usual for Salazzle.

:whimsicott:: Frail and fast are the two best words to describe Whimsicott, but it's pretty weak as well. While it's a neat Virizion check and its Speed allows it to beat out all but the speediest, it sure doesn't do a whole hell of a lot. It has no place being alongside solid B-ranked Pokemon.

:silvally: (Ghost): Silvally-Ghost is a one-trick pony, wielding only a simple Swords Dance set that fits on one particular playstyle. While it's still the best offensive spinblocker in RU, Defog is the main method of removing hazards, not Rapid Spin. Nonetheless, it's good enough at what it does to stay solidly in the B ranks. it can't even use its Fighting immunity as well as Silvally-Fairy uses its Fighting resistance, due to its Knock Off weakness.

:silvally: (Steel): The tragedy of the former top-tier continues, as Silvally-Steel continues its descent down the RU viability rankings, landing as a smoldering pile of hubris in the B ranks for the very first time. Overshadowed by its Fairy-type counterpart and suffering under the fiery climate of RU, Silvally-Steel no longer finds itself as needed as it once was. Virizion and Bewear also continue to trouble it, and the rising Hitmonlee does it no favors either. It's a sad day for those who remember RU alpha and the hero of the tier Silvally-Steel once was.

:morpeko:: Morpeko really just isn't cut out for RU. Steelix and Virizion blank it, it's not bulky enough to Rapid Spin successfully, and Passimian cuts it down without a moment's hesitation. Numerous other common threats such as Bewear, Mudsdale, Rhydon, and Rotom-Mow can also handle it quite well. Any well built team can easily handle Morpeko, and while it's not truly terrible, very rarely should it be deserving of a spot on a serious team. To the bottom of C it goes.

:kingler:: Virizion and Vaporeon once again render Kingler less viable than it once was, and while its double dance set can potentially wreak serious havoc, it's quite specially frail and doesn't find many setup opportunities except against the weakest of threats.

:avalugg:: Pure Ice typing isn't good for a wall. Avalugg dropped like a stone through RU down to NU, and its barely functioning niche here as a physical wall can be called into question by a lot of RU's common physical attackers, many of which can break it down without much trouble. It's Special Defense is also abysmal, and the common Fire-types and even Ice-weak special attackers can tear it apart easily.

:gurdurr:: Gurdurr has no place among RU, plain and simple. It's been barely clinging on to a niche for months now, and it dropping to NU gives all the more reason to finally kick it to Unranked. Its job as a Defogger is heavily overshadowed by the tier's more appealing options, and as a Fighting-type, it's hopelessly outclassed by all of Toxicroak, Virizion, Bewear, and Passimian.

:rotom:: Rotom has been slipping slowly for months now, and this latest shift is no different. It now faces strong competition from its lawncare counterpart, and as an Electric-type wallbreaker, it has to compete with the faster, coverage-move-bearing Raichu-Alola. Still a capable Pokemon but now overshadowed in its various roles, Rotom-N slips to B rank.

:boltund:: Steelix once again stuffs the Electric-type without a way to meaningfully damage it outside of a somewhat weak Fire Fang. While not a terrible choice, other physical wallbreakers will usually offer more to a team than Boltund can. It simply doesn't contribute enough to be a serious choice most of the time, as it's hopelessly frail and will fall to most neutral hits when combined with Life Orb recoil and hazards vulnerability.

:silvally: (Dark): One of the biggest casualties of Virizion's rise to the top and Silvally-Fairy's surge in usage was Silvally-Dark. It's niche as an Indeedee check is still valuable, but Scrafty does that just as well, while Fighting-types and still competition from its Fairy-type counterpart seriously hamper its viability. Still a cut above the C ranks but not any better, Silvally-Dark lands in B-.

:rotom-fan:: It simply doesn't do enough to warrant a spot on most teams, plain and simple. Overshadowed by Rotom-C, Stealth Rock weak, and severely lacking in powerful attacks kills much of the fan's viability. Niche Nasty Plot and Choiced sets can be used, but again, most of the time you want to be using the almost entirely superior Rotom-Mow.

:alcremie:: Alcremie is too slow and nonthreatening to have much of a place in RU anymore. Better Calm Mind users exist, better wallbreakers exist, mono-Fairy is a bad typing for a slow offensive Pokemon in RU, and it faces stiff competition from the usually-better Aromatisse and Silvally-Fairy. While it can be used, Alcremie hasn't put up good results in RU for a long time now, and has been rightfully removed from the rankings.

:mr. rime:: Another casualty of the sunny climate, Mr. Rime now finds itself miserably outclassed as a Rapid Spin user and special wallbreaker. It's typing is just nothing short of terrible for the tier, offering almost no useful resistances and a host of vicious, crippling weaknesses that are taken advantage of by the best Pokemon in the tier. Mr. Rime has no place in RU and has been removed from the rankings as a result.

:piloswine:: Zizagood is simply overshadowd by RU's myriad of strong Ground-type Stealth Rock users, and doesn't offer enough to a team to be seriously considered over them in all but the most niche of cases. It's still usable yes, but very rarely will you need to call upon Piloswine's specific bag of talents when Rhydon, Mudsdale, and Steelix all exist.

:dugtrio-alola:: A suicide rocker is cool, and Alolan Dugtrio does it, but hyper offense is a poor playstyle in RU, thus limiting Alolan Duggy's use to a very small variety of teams. It's placement has been reflected by a C ranking.

:lanturn:: Vaporeon exists now, and Mantine doesn't. Lanturn has no place in RU.

:rotom-frost:: Similarly to the fan, Rotom-Frost suffers from being overshadowed by Rotom-Mow, a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, and an inability to deal with RU's fierce triumverate of Fire-types, one of which will find a way onto almost every team. It's usable as a niche Nasty Plot or Choice user, but only barely.

:persian-alola:: This thing has no discernible niche in RU, as it's easily overwhelmed by RU's entourage of Fighting-types and struggles to switch in against the tier's plethora of strong special attackers. It's been removed from the rankings to reflect this.

:dugtrio: (C): Dugtrio is a very niche Choice Band user that offers approximately zilch defensive utility outside of a couple nifty tricks in Memento and Sucker Punch. It's been placed next to its Alolan variant in C.

:corsola-galar: (C+): Corsola really, honestly.. doesn't do much. It's a Stealth Rock user that isn't a Ground-type, which is super cool, but unfortunately it's nothing but setup fodder for the most dangerous of special attackers in RU, and complete Knock Off and Toxic bait. However, it's a sliver above the bottom of the barrel, so it's been placed in C+.

:torkoal: (B): Torkoal is another non-Ground-type Stealth Rock user and the awkward fourth child of RU's elite trio of Fire-types- the one that always gets left out on going on Mystery Dungeon explorations with the other three, if you will. Torkoal however is a great physical wall in its own right, one that can take even +2 Life Orb Stone Edge from Virizion. It's also got some niftry tricks up its sleeve, ranging from Body Press to Rapid Spin to even Shell Smash, enabling it to potentially surprise opponents. It has earned a B ranking as a result.

:wishiwashi: (C+): Originally conceived to combat the terrifying Inteleon before its ban, Wishiwashi functions as a niche Water-type able to maintain momentum with U-turn and directly threaten enemy Fire-types with Earthquake and Toxic. It fits nicely in C+.

:arctovish: (C): Arctovish is able to come in on Vaporeon using its Water immunity and then, uh... well, it does stuff. I think. It can burn away Wishes with Freeze-Dry, set up a Substitute in order to ease prediction later on, and then proceed to sit comfortably until Vaporeon inevitably switches out. It's worthy of C ranking, at least.

:arctozolt: (C): Arctozolt is cool. It's a strong Electric-type attacker not stopped by Steelix due to its access to Hydro Pump, though it's held back by needed to run Heavy-Duty Boots so it doesn't fall over and die to Stealth Rock. However, it can really mess up teams that rely on Steelix-Vaporeon-Rotom Mow cores to stave off enemy assaults.

:silvally: (Dragon) (B-): The only Silvally in RU capable of running a fully special set, Silvally-Dragon has a cool niche as a fast Draco Meteor-clicking Dragon-type that can pivot out of unfavorable matchups with U-turn and potentially Defog as well. With great coverage in Draco Meteor and Flamethrower, Silvally-Dragon finds itself comfortably in B-.

:silvally: (Poison) (C+): Silvally-Poison is a cool and unique Poison-type wielding U-Turn and a great STAB for the tier, with Surf to mess up potential Ground-types. It's not particularly flashy, but a nice niche it has nonetheless. C+ it is.

PicsArt_06-13-12.18.47.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)