Resource SS RU Viability Rankings [Pre-DLC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
yfqHZbR.gif

Sword and Shield RU Viability Rankings

Welcome to the official Sword and Shield RU Viability Rankings thread! In this thread, we as a community will rank every usable Pokemon into ranks. You're encouraged to civilly post your thoughts and opinions on the various Pokemon that are usable in RU and what rank they should fall under. The general idea of the topic is to rank each RU Pokemon under "rankings" that go in descending order. Keep in mind that this thread is simply a reference list and should not be treated as anything more than that. Pokemon are arranged alphabetically within subranks. This will be changed some time in the coming months as the VR team works out where each Pokemon fits best within its subrank.

When nominating Pokemon to rise or drop in this thread, be sure to try avoiding personal bias. Some things to consider bringing up when discussing a Pokemon are how trends favor or disadvantage it, how it compares to competition for its role, and how it has adapted to shifts in the overall metagame. Replays are also great tools to help support a nomination, especially if it's for an unranked Pokemon to find a rank somewhere. Now, without further ado, it's time to get to our rankings. Enjoy!

Speaking of our viability team, our Viability Rankings team includes the following members:
S Rank
Virizion

A+ Rank
Charizard
Drampa
Indeedee
Ninetales
Rotom-Mow
Passimian
Salazzle
Silvally-Fairy
Steelix
Vaporeon

A Rank
Bewear
Raichu-Alola
Rillaboom

Rhydon
Snorlax
Vileplume

A- Rank
Braviary
Copperajah
Decidueye
Frosmoth
Hitmonlee
Jellicent
Sableye
Scrafty

Toxicroak
Vikavolt

B+ Rank
Aromatisse
Drapion
Duraludon
Gallade
Gastrodon
Mudsdale
Silvally-Steel
Sneasel

Vanilluxe

B Rank
Coalossal
Dhelmise
Drednaw
Garbodor
Malamar
Togedemaru
Torkoal
Qwilfish
Rotom
Silvally-Ghost
Weezing

B- Rank
Abomasnow
Boltund
Claydol
Ferroseed
Froslass
Galvantula
Linoone
Silvally-Dark
Silvally-Dragon
Silvally-Water
Whimsicott

C+ Rank
Corsola-Galar
Cinccino
Cramorant
Flapple
Haunter
Kingler
Leafeon
Sawk
Silvally-Ground
Silvally-Poison
Turtonator
Wishiwashi

C Rank
Accelgor
Arctozolt
Arctovish
Avalugg
Dugtrio
Dugtrio-Alola

Morpeko
Piloswine
Rapidash-Galar
Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Frost
Runerigus

D Rank - Blacklisted from Discussion
None!

Current Discussion Slate
  • N/A
Archives
  • Linked below is a Google Sheets document where I keep records of all of our votes, available in view-only form for the general public!
  • SS RU VR Archives
Viability Thread Rules
  • Don't discuss anything in the blacklist (D Rank). Ever.
  • Avoid one liners and flesh out your post, but remain concise. This helps further the discussion and gives your post more credibility.
  • Do not derail the thread by asking "why did this move up/down". This is a discussion thread and posts like this don't add to the discussion. If you disagree about X Pokemon's placement, nominate it to move up/down. Similarly, do not derail the thread with other simple questions.
  • Should you want to nominate an unranked Pokemon, it will only be ranked if you have at least 3 replays showing the Pokemon being used successfully vs good teams and it must have a distinguishable niche seen in these replays.
  • If something didn't move up in the prior update, don't keep nominating it again and again unless a significant metagame shift occurs.
  • This thread has nothing to do with tiering. Remain civil when posting in this thread.
Special thanks to Hilomilo and roman for the nomination guidelines and rules respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mavis

Banned deucer.
Clearly you’ve never run into Mudsdale
IK Muds is a hard counter but that’s why I run Quagsire along side it
I'll be implementing a set of rules here some time soon, but please try to refrain from one-liners that don't contribute to the discussion of a Pokemon's viability rankings. The goal of this thread is to discuss a Pokemon's place within the meta relative to others. Thanks for understanding, and if you've got any thoughts on the ranking of the aforementioned Cinccino, be it to rise or drop, post a well thought-out response here!

Ok,Ill give a better explanation why Cincinno is underrated.Cinninno is an incredibly strong wall breaker in the tier especially with Stealth Rocks support.Since a good few of the better Pokémon(Goodra,Mantine,Ninetales,Rhydon,Charizard,Galvantula) are weak to its powerful Bullet Seeds/Rock Blasts and Knock Off is a nice option in the last slot for Rotom and knocking off stuff like Passimians Scarf when the swap in.Now it has a good few matchups it just can’t win like the Mudsdale who is the best counter possible,Having good enough Physcial bulk to eat Bullet Seeds and gaining a Stamina boost each time.Snorlax also does well and faster mons like Sallazle and Baraskewda are good revenge killers but they can’t swap in

because of all this I believe Cincinno is a very good pick atm and I vote it to be moved to A-
277DB95E-26C4-4ABA-AC9D-57BC513B9326.gif

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
:scrafty:

C+ --> B-/B

BU spdef scrafty is an incredibly solid mon in the current metagame, i've been tinkering with it on ladder and it puts in so much work, walling the tier's most potent special attackers while also itself being a viable wincon in a large majority of matchups. It's one of the few mons that can pivot into goodra relatively safely, switching into draco and either clicking drain punch or rest to recover off health, only to be healed by sked skin in the following turns.

It's also an incredibly potent wincon, as fairies really aren't omnipresent in the tier, and as a result its it's not hard to finesse a BU sweep versus fairy-less teams with proper play. With rocks up, silvally-fairy also fails to become true counterplay, as it takes ~25% from the combination of drain punch and rocks, awarding it a finite amount of switch-ins.

It'll also rarely be deadweight, as its ability to knock off its fairy-type counterplay helps mons like goodra and other specially-oriented breakers punish teams with mons like aromatisse and alcremie.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest

This set creeps jah and dhelmise, but i'm sure you could optimize it to be bulkier on the special end while still retaining a viable amount of speed.

It's a solid mon in the current meta and I hope it starts to see more usage.

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
Continuing with Scrafty discussion I suggest this alternative EV spread for Scrafty:
Scrafty @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Rest
The EV spread allows Scrafty to counter Timid Specs Goodra as long there are no Hazards on the field, while still outspeeding 0 Speed Jellicent. Scrafty shouldn't be used as primary Goodra check as it falls to Modest Specs and Banded sets so you've to scout first before recklessly switching in Scrafty against Goodra. The fact that Scrafty is one of the very few mons to actually be able to switch into all of Specs Goodra Moves definitely makes Scrafty worthy of the B Rank. Obviously, Scrafty is hindered by that it's not a very splashable mon as it needs a solid amount of support to fully shine. Scrafty also loves the rise in usage of Scarf Goodra as it takes nothing from Draco and thus get free setup. The faster variant is probably more successful in general but the Bulkier one allows you to role compress as you don't need to heavily build for Specs Goodra.
252 SpA Choice Specs Goodra Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Scrafty: 279-331 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- not a KO

252 SpA Choice Specs Goodra Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Scrafty: 279-331 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Goodra Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Scrafty: 307-364 (92.1 - 109.3%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Goodra Outrage vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 217-256 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Scrafty: 126-148 (37.8 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

A little new to the tiering and how that all works but I have to nominate Snorlax:
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Darkest Lariat

This set was I think taken from Smogon directly but the point being is that, with a little support from aurora veil or something, Snorlax basically needs one-two turns of cursing before it’s nearly unstoppable.

I’m in the low 400s on ladder right now and basically all it takes to win my games half the time is to bait in potential checks (e.g. vileplume, passimian) and either cripple or get rid of them, and if lax gets to two curses it’s GG. Nothing is breaking through that spdf in two turns of rest.

I can’t overstate how valuable darkest lariat is, it covers just about everything that body slam can’t hit for at least neutral damage, and beats other curse-mons since it can break through their defense buffs.

I have noticed a severe lack of phasers/taunt users while laddering as well which is obviously a boon to the big guy.

If you can just curse up on mudsale before it can body press you (after 2 or so curses it does basically nothing) it wins that battle no problem, it just straight up wrecks basically everything else honestly. Vileplume is annoying because it’ll strength sap you and you won’t be able to kill it... but even then if you want an all out stall war you can win and then you have a +6 def, 350 spdf mon your opponent has to deal with.

I’ll try to get replays if anyone’s interested but basically I’ll try to get vanilluxe in (usually lead with it unless there’s obvious counterplay on my opponents part), set up aurora veil, and then get Snorlax in against any special attacker. It’s basically a win everytime. I think he needs to be at least A

Reactions: BP
Indeedee-M for B+

I can only speak for Specs, but this thing hits like a truck (Psychic can easily 2HKO non AV Goodra, and Psyshock can OHKO any variant 50% of the time without hazards), has coverage to hit most of the metagame super effectively and can run Trick to remain useful even in matchups where it's coverage is walled out. It also sits at a great base 95 speed tier, outpacing Goodra, Rotom, Bewear and many more, while tying with Jolly Max Speed Silvally forms. It can even take a LO Fire Blast from Salazzle at full health in a pinch and always live with no investment.

It should take Indeedee-F's place imo, although the latter still has Healing Wish for its Scarf set for some potentially game changing support after it's done with speed control duties, so it still has a niche, but is completely outclassed offensively. Can't speak from personal experience, but I imagine Scarf Indeedee-M being overall better due hitting hard, so it can revenge kill mons at higher health.

Only for B+ for now because of Indeedee-F's placement, but you could argue for A-.

sensei axew

i’m not a stop along the way, i’m a destination
is a Community Contributoris a Three-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Alright, long post incoming

Toxicroak!
B- to B+

Croak is extremely underrated and deals with a majority of the tier with ease. The set that I've been finding to have the best outcome for me is Swords Dance, Gunk Shot, Drain Punch, and Sucker Punch with Life Orb. However, Toxicroak can also run Choice Scarf or even Nasty Plot with Dark Pulse to deal with it's easiest counters in Sableye and Jellicent. But the real reason Toxicroak is so good is the fact that minus a couple of Pokemon here and there, it is VERY hard to switch into, even if it hasn't set up yet. It takes advantage of the most common Physical Defensive Pokemon, Vileplume, and blows it away with a +2 Gunk Shot. In addition to this, it has a good speed tier and Sucker Punch to outspeed faster threats. Also, if you look at the rest of the Pokemon listed in the B- rank NONE of them compare to Toxicroak. Although this is all true, Toxicroak struggles to beat common Pokemon such as Mudsdale, Jellicent, and Sableye and with Sun running around like there's no tomorrow and hurting Toxicroak due to Dry Skin, I think that he fits well in the B+ rank.

Butterfree!
C to C+/B-

Another, extremely underrated Pokemon. When the tier was rampaged with Gigalith, Vaporeon, and Goodra, Butterfree saw very little viability due to it never having a shot to sweep. Now, however, with Goodra's departure, Butterfree finally seems worthy of a higher rank. Quiver Dance + Compound Eyes Hurricane can very easily clean up towards the late game. Butterfree can also utilize Sleep Powder to make it's job even easier. While this does seem promising, there are also still a lot of reasons to why Butterfree has trouble fulfilling it's role. Snorlax and other Specially Defensive Pokemon still exist and because Butterfree has so poor bulk, having it attempt to set up can be disastrous. So, after both sides have been accounted for, it makes sense for Butterfree to rise a rank or two.

Last but not least,
Snorlax!
B+ to A

Snorlax may single handedly be the MOST annoying Pokemon to play against. Utilizing RestTalk with Body Slam(which paralyzes literally 95% of the time) and even Darkest Lariat/Toxic so that Ghosts don't sit on him is obnoxiously annoying to deal with. Let alone the fact that it's Specially Defensive bulk is through the roof to the point where Snorlax can literally sit on 99.9% of every special attacker in the tier. In addition to this, it's Thick Fat ability makes it a pretty good sun check. I would honestly even vouch for him to be A+ rank if the tier wasn't infested with fighting types, which, combined with its passivity, is Snorlax's main downfall. So, all in all, Snorlax should definitely rise to A rank because this big boi is too good for B+.

Mavis

Banned deucer.
The VR council has finished voting on the five new drops from April, so they've been implemented in the rankings!

Barraskewda
has been placed in A rank due to it's ferocious wallbreaking ability, backed up by solid coverage moves and a blistering Speed. It's only let down by it's pitiful bulk and somewhat prediction reliant nature.

Copperajah has been placed in A rank. While it's somewhat awkward to build with at times, it's combination of pure Steel typing, high Attack stat with an incredible coverage pool, and the ability to make use of many different sets including Choice Band, Assault Vest, and an offensive Stealth Rock setter make it a great choice.

Indeedee has been placed in A rank. With ten points of Speed and Special Attack over its female counterpart, Indeedee can perform the role of a fearsome wallbreaker with Choice Specs, a deadly revenge killer with Choice Scarf, and even a Calm Mind setup threat.

Coalossal has been placed in B rank. This curious concoction of hazard setting, spinning, and an easily exploitable typing combines to form a Pokemon that will come to be explored more in the future.

Cramorant has been placed in C+ rank. It's mostly an inferior Mantine, but it's ability to spread paralysis and higher Speed can come in handy at times.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi all RU people, after laddering for quite a bit now, there's a mon that I feel is pretty underrated right now.

to B/B+

Boltund is incredibly underrated in my opinion, it not only is it one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier, but its great with the ability to revenge kill or even late-game sweep due to its power and coverage and especially with Gigalith gone allows it to perform its role even more effectively. BU Boltund is the set I've had the most success with as of late, I haven't really thought much about this set before using it, but it just puts in so much work with its checks gone. It's ability to force switches on things like Mantine give it quite a few opportunities to set it up and when it does it is capable of cleaning up, OHKOing stuff like Jellicent, Steelvally and Vileplume at +1. Because of this factor it is pretty great matchup against almost everything in A- to A+, you can usually just switch BU for Crunch to threaten Rotom with an OHKO, yes it is handled pretty easily by Mudsdale and Steelix which are pretty common right now, but I feel that its merits make it better than almost everything in B- bar Toxicroak, and as a result should warrant a rise to B or even B+.

Boltund @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Fire Fang
- Bulk Up / Crunch

Aight, that's all I have to say for now, it's so much fun playing this tier (especially after blob draco dropper's departure) and I'll do more noms in the future, have a great day everyone!

Katy

Banned deucer.
hello fellow ru-players,

i think its time to talk more about some mons, which should def rise in my opinion, so here we go:

:ninetales:

should move up to A because of its wallbreaking potential and with toxic catching mantine off guard therefore ninetales is able to bypass this defensive answer and hurts its longevity in the long term of the game and with good stab and coverage its also a nuke due to her fire blast getting boosted by sun. also with goodra banned and gigalith recently moved to uu its counters are pretty much gone and we left with subpar defensive answers unless its thick fat snorlax which has a hard time going against volt-turn teams. ninetales also has a blessing speed-tier with 100 setting it above the likes of indeede (both) and silvally (any form). i think ninetales is ready for a rise to 1 subrank in the As.

:vileplume:

should move up because its ability to break through threats with chlorophyll and growth are now more effective post-goodra-ban and its dualstab-options are really great in the metagame. not forgetting the defensive set with strength sap, giga drain, sludge bomb and filler is very good and checks a lot of strong physical threats like passimian, the new ranked barraskewda and is also able to check specific special attackers too due to the
multiple ways of gaining recovery providing it a good place as a long term check.

:boltund:

i agree with a rise since this mons a beast with the crazy speed it has from the get go putting it above a lot of other faster attackers and its good coverage options + typing which means its only weakness is ground-attacks. boltund also punishes switch-ins like steelix with fire fang and providing good options to break through a multitude of threats.

:snorlax:

rise? YES! its a good check to stuff like ninetales and vileplume and can dish out really good damage after a curse-boost and has longevity via rest and leftis, snorlax also has the advantage of setting up on many special attackers.

other noms i agree with:
:butterfree:
:toxicroak:
:scrafty:

Coalossal have great matchup against sun (vileplume, ninetales, salazzle, zard) also providing hazzard control/support.
B+ is a better position bc no goodra and gigalith means free sun mostly barryng aurora veil tems...

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, if there were a rank below novice when it comes to these VR postings, I'd be in that group. With that in mind, let me start small and nom just 1 mon:

B+ -> A-
With easily its best check/counter in Goodra being gone, Charizard deserves a higher ranking imo. It can easily have it's way with the best/most annoying mon in the meta right now in Vileplume as well as take on Steelvally, Rillaboom, Steelix, Escavalier, and Copperajah among others. It's also got access to the "totally not broken" Heavy-Duty Boots which allow it to come in something it checks or on rocks safely and either get off a Roost to restore any damage dealt to it, remove said rocks + any other hazards, spew Toxic on one of its checks in Mantine, Jellicent, or Coalossal, or get a nice hit off.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
A+ -> S
One of the most splashable defensive threats in the tier right now with both it's defensive and specially defensive spreads. Pairs well with many other defensive hallmarks such as Steelix, Mantine, and Mudsdale just to name a few. I really been liking Growth sets as of late and believe they are really what push Plume to S-tier territory as it turns it into a bulky setup sweeper that can muscle through traditional checks such as SpD Steelix, Snorlax, Coalossal and even Xatu. Plume still has it's checks of course and it can still struggle to break through teams which carry common mons like Salazzle, SteelVally and even opposing Plume but regardless, I feel that Plume has proven itself to be one of the premier defensive pivots in the tier right now especially in light of the recent Goodra Ban.

B+ -> A
Lax being this low is kinda ludicrous to me considering that it is truly one of if not the best wincons in the tier. Not much can stop a Curse Lax from sweeping the opposing team unless one chooses to bring dedicated checks such as Taunt + Sap Jellicent or SD / BU Bewear. Lax also gets to abuse common mons such as Mantine, Salazzle, and even more heavy hitters like Ninetales and abuse them as setup fodder. I feel most people have outlines why it should rise already so I won't spend too much more time, but Lax is truly up there in terms of a bulky wincon and can really secure wins like no other threat rn, especially since Mixed / CB Goodra can't just lure it in anymore.

A- -> A
Another splashable defensive threat, Mantine is really good right now especially considering how it is one of the best Defog users in a tier with a minimal amount of viable hazard removers. It has a great matchup versus the likes of Steelix, Mudsdale, Copperajah, and Coalossal and can just be an annoyance thanks to the combo of Toxic + Scald. Water Absorb + its above average bulk also enables it to handle scary threats such as Barraskeda, Gallade, Indeedee, Salazzle, SteelVally and Escavalier which is also a huge boon for bulky offense teams who can otherwise struggle to keep the aformentioned mons in check. HBD just in general alleviates one of Tine's most pressing issues last gen in which it was often worn down rather quickly and needed to consistently be Roosting off damage, but as of now it acts as one of the best defensive Water-types in the tier especially ever since Vaporeon left and should rise because of this.

B+ -> B / B-
The extra bulk is nice and all, but really either Indeedee form is mainly used as a special wallbreaker / revengekiller so I can't see that much reason to use the female version over the male considering the latter's better offense and higher speed tier which enables it to get the jump on certain foes like non Scarf Rillaboom, Rotom, and Hitmonlee. Even Calm Mind sets are largely done better by the Male version as the extra increase in power enables it to net 2HKOes that the female one simply cannot after a boost. This thing just struggles to find a niche now that the other form is here and I think the VR should reflect that.

B- -> B / B+
Really a fan of this mon and I think the current ranking is really putting it to shame. An amazing speed tier combined with colourful coverage really turns Boltund into one of the better revenge killers in the tier. Yes the rise of Steelix and even defensive Plume usage is not doing it any favours, but Boltund can still mark a dent in most common defensive cores seen either with the Life Orb, CB, or even Expert Belt sets thanks to Fire Fang, Play Rough, Crunch alongside it's STAB giving it a nice amount of offensive coverage to work with. It can be a bit too weak at times especially when going up against fat Ground types like Steelix, Mudsdale, and GroundVally, but safe from the matchups, Boltund really can pack a punch against most teams rn and I think a rise is warranted.

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
1584415084542.png
C+ to either B- or B

This mon is actually a fantastic pokemon in the tier. Being able to break cores like mantine vileplume and some stalls are great. I've actually been using a variation of bulk up, that adds to its effectiveness in breaking balance and stall

Scrafty @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Amnesia
- Knock Off
- Rest

This set is actually great. It's able to set up on a lot of the tier, such as silvally ghost, runerigus, sableye, xatu and jellicent.
It's able to also set up on certain sets of steelix and mantine, specifically non roar and non haze mantine. However, steelix is easy to get around, as set up once and knock it, its now on a timer losing its recovery, and this speed investment creeps mantine by 1 point, and usually by the time they go into it, it could be too late for it to stop you, or it's already toxic'd by a partner like salazzle, or sludge bomb vileplume. Which allows you to burn roosts. It appreciates the removal of mons like fairies and gurdurr aswell as bewear, however the fairies invite in terrifying mons like copperajah and salazzle for free, and gurdurr lacks reliable recovery and is prone to being worn down, so it appreaciates these mons as partners. The sort of ease it has to breaking these common balance teams once those fairies are either dealt, or gurdurr or bewear is chipped hard enough, its easy for it to just clean games. this ability it has to do this far outshines mons in B- like fuckin alcremie and runerigus, so i feel it warrants to rise to those tiers.

Mavis

Banned deucer.
Due to the sweeping changes within the meta recently, between Goodra's ban, Gigalith's departure, and the three big new drops- Indeedee, Copperajah, and Barraskewda, the VR council decided to head back to the drawing board and make wide scale shifts within the viability rankings.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Silvally-Steel the top tier? I thought not. It's not a story the RU council would tell you.

*Shifts of 2 or more subranks have been denoted with green or red colors for rises and drops respectively.
A+ to S
A+ to S
A to A+
A to A+
A- to A+
A- to A+

A- to A
B+ to A-
B+ to A-
B to B+
B to B+
B to B+
B to B+
B- to B+
B- to B+
B- to B
C+ to B
C+ to B

C+ to B-

(Steel) A+ to A-
A to A-
A to A-
A to A-
(Dark) A- to B+
A- to B+
B+ to B
B+ to C
B to B-
B to B-
B- to C+
B- to C+
C+ to C

Drampa has been added to B+ rank. Following in the shoes of one of the most powerful dragons ever to grace RU is no easy feat, but Drampa does it with aplomb. Wielding terrifying wallbreaking power that eclipses even Goodra and a number of great abilities, Drampa takes over the spot as RU's premier Dragon-type wallbreaker. However, it's held back by its poor Speed, Fighting weakness, and somewhat prediction reliant nature, as well as its natural bulk being average at best. Overall, the VR team believes Drampa will be a good fit in B+.

Kingler has been added to B- rank. As a wallbreaker a bit more on the niche side, Kingler leverages it's double dance set alongside coverage moves that will inevitably leave it walled by Vileplume no matter what it does. However, its good Speed, incredible attacking power, and terrifying Water STAB along with the boosting versatility of its main set lead the team to believe it fits best in B- rank.

Lapras has been added to C rank. Lapras carves out a tiny niche as a wallbreaker being able to exploit its good STAB combination of Hydro Pump and Freeze-Dry to break the common Vileplume-Steelix-Mantine defensive cores better than most. However, its poor defensive typing combined with irrelevancy outside of this small niche has led us to rank it in C for the time being until it's explored more as a Pokemon.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I know that the meta will change a lot with tier shifts in ~8 days but we may as well start the next month with rankings that accurately reflect the meta we have now. Thus, here are a bunch of nominations:

:Indeedee: A+ --> S
Mini Tapu Lele is the most dominant special attacker and threat in the metagame now. Specs is absolute hell to check, Scarf fits great on offensive teams while outspeeding the rest of the Choice Scarf Big 4 (Pass, Rilla, Rotom, Indeedee). Great late game cleaner, great wallbreaker. Can cripple its checks with Trick, hit the very few dark types with DGleam and steel types Mystical Fire while dropping Psychic attacks on everything else. Other non-choiced sets like CM LO or AV are also great and can throw off counterplay. Snorlax is somewhat effective against it (watch out for Specs Psyshock) but very, very little else is. Has single-handedly made Silv-Dark, Scrafty, and Malamar viable; with no dark types RU by usage, these guys are what has emerged to try to stop Indeedee from spamming Psychic or Psyshock and taking a life every time. Better than Salazzle. Put this absolute demon in S.

:bewear: A --> A+.

Partners SO SO WELL with any special attacker that doesn't like Snorlax - forces it out while taking very little and being an absolute pain for the other team (very few counters, possibly only Sableye). Run SD it's better than CB. Drain Punch + Fluffy gives it great durability and lets it stay around long term while still being able to use Double Edge to throw out very powerful hits, doing stuff like OHKOing max/max+ def Plume at +2 if running Silk Scarf. One of the best mons in RU rn. A+

:rhydon: A- --> A (possibly A+??)

Idk if this is unpopular but I think Rhydon is excellent. Run max attack max speed, imo, because an EQ from base 130 Attack is very hard to switch into (especially at +2) and you can KO Mantine with Rock STABs obviously. You outspeed the most common Grass-type, Plume, if it runs max def, 2HKOing with just like 10-15% chip or always 2HKOing if you choose to run Heat Crash. if it speed creeps you can get the 2HKO [plus, you can still outspeed a creeping Plume if you run Jolly ;) ]
It's also a good Salazzle check, taking not too much damage and KOing back, even breaking Subs with Rock Blast (Stone Edge is better to KO Mantine though).
It's the Stealth Rocker with the best offensive presence while also having an excellent Eviolite-boosted defenses, especially Physical. Bewear with Drain Punch loses 1v1 if it has to switch in ... LOL this guy is insane. Rhydon to A definitely, maybe A+.

:silvally: (fairy) --> B+
As an offensive mon, this thing just gets chipped and doesn't sweep unless your opponent does not have a *deep breath* vileplume, ninetales, salazzle, any steel type (which, hint, every team has because indeedee is a baller), or any physically bulky mon (think mudsdale / rhydon).
As a Defogger, it gets chipped by hazards b/c it can't run boots, gets u-turned on for more chip, and on top of that doesn't hit any hazard setter very hard (except flamethrower, steelix but people are aware of that and it doesn't do that much).
This thing is cheeks, drop it

:flapple: B+ --> B/B-
what does this set up on? no defensive utility, stacks weaknesses w tier's best mon, requires a shit ton of support. strongest prio user (probably) but unreliable.

:slurpuff: B+ -> B
In a meta where Vileplume and Steelix are 2 of the most common and good mons, this thing does not seem like a B+ tier threat. Being able to punish Choiced Fighting / Dark moves is cool. being unable to do > 65% to max def vileplume or > 85% to max def steelix is not great, especially since vileplume has recovery. It can pull things off late game but is deadweight for so much of the game if your opponent has one of the best mons in the tier. CM< Puff, which someone posted in the Lure thread, seems cool and underexplored. But still drop this to B.

:coalossal: B --> B-/C+/C
0 Atk Coalossal Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 136-168 (46.5 - 57.5%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO
LMAOOOO imagine not being guaranteed to 2HKO a damn Ferroseed with a STAB Fire-type attack. This thing has ZERO offensive presence.
Rapid Spin is useful due to its scarcity but it loses to every hazard setter (unless you run Overheat for Steelix, but, even then, you don't switch in). Useful resistances but you will die to Toxic chip from things like Tales/Salazzle. Drop it some distance

:froslass: B --> C/C-
Abomasnow and Vanilluxe are 1000x better Ice-type breakers due to Lass' super mediocre special attack and reliance on Ice Beam rather than Blizzard. This thing gets Spikes, I suppose, but dies to just about everything and offers no defensive utility to a team beyond ghost-typing (but, again, is super frail, and there are better ghosts like Rotom, Silv-Ghost, Golurk, Haunter, even Dhelmise).

:rotom-fan: B --> B-/C+
Who uses this? Why would you use it?? Huh

:malamar: :lanturn: :golurk: Unranked --> B+
All these mons are really good rn and have to be ranked for sure. Despite currently being unranked they definitely deserve B+.

Malamar can set up on teams with its SpDef Superpower set, which is similar to what Scrafty runs with Bulk Up. Malamar doesn't lose to Growth Plume and isn't 4x weak to DGleam, however, which makes it worth sacrificing Scrafty's better bulk in many instances. It serves as a check to Indeedee with its Dark typing (very very rare in RU now!) and good bulk. Id honestly be open to this in A- LOL it is very good, especially when paired with something that punishes U-Turns (such as Rocky Helmet Garbodor)
Speaking of U-turn, it is not a guaranteed KO, especially if it gets a boost:
252 Atk Rillaboom U-turn vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 224-264 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Rillaboom U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 332-392 (88.2 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Passimian U-turn vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 216-256 (57.4 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Passimian U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 324-384 (86.1 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
In the right circumstances this is a much better win con than, say, Flapple.

Lanturn fears nothing the super-common Mantine can throw at it and can freely pivot on it or spread status to build momentum. With Heal Bell, it is one of the only status removers available in the tier. It's one of the best checks to Rotom-N (which had an awesome winrate in RUPL) and Specs Vanilluxe, giving it a definite niche as a bulky water. It can serve as a desperation check to Indeedee due to its excellent special bulk, and can cripple offensive teams with Thunder Wave or Scald burns and defensive teams with status. Its water typing lets it work well as a pivot, giving it a way to punish Ground-types that may block it.

Golurk is an absolute menace with 124 Attack, good speed, and EdgeQuake coverage alongside other shit like TPunch, Ice Punch, Dynamic Punch. Throw a Life Orb on it and watch you get up rocks while kicking every other rocker's ass with EQ and hitting pretty much every Defogger extremely hard. Idk, CB / Rock Polish could also be neat.

:drednaw: Unranked --> B: Drednaw

LegendarySerperior come preach the Drednaw gospel. The turtle, despite little defensive utility, breaks apart the LixTinePlume core that's so common with SD / Stone Edge / Liquidation / Ice Fang off of an excellent attack stat.

DVSToday at 7:28 PM
also dred can run a sr/sd/stone/liquidation set
[7:28 PM]
which can still break plumetinelix
and most teams cant defog against it

Some further room for exploration for any inspired readers: CB with Head Smash, Double Dance with SD / Swift Swim Rain Dance, a rain team with like Mantine / Dred / Qwil (kinda cheese but could be effective!)

:ferroseed: Unranked --> B-/C+
Comes in on Plume 100% free, Spikes, and then knocks off the boots of Defoggers like Mantine or Fire-types that are SR-weak and hate switching in.

Ok now some noms that I was pretty lazy while writing but would agree with. Someone else should speak more about them, though.

:Xatu: B --> B+
:Charizard: B+ --> A-
Ok these are both fire but I don't feel like writing very much more. Good speed, good longevity, useful typings, Xatu has Magic Bounce and thus does great v Steelix, Zard can run Toxic+Roost while walling threats like Tales, Specs to hit hard as hell, DD / BD if you're an absolute madman. Mostly would be ranked for Toxic/Roost/HDB Utility, even Defog if you want. This thing is legit

:Rillaboom: :Escavalier: :Jellicent: A- --> B+
Dont want to write much about them, sorry, but these are all worse than Rhydon and Snorlax imo.

Escav would be fine in A- too tho either way, stuff like SilvFairy has fire moves more now tho + Zard's emergence is annoying for it (even tho Knock Off is nice). Yeah I'm fine with Escav staying, either way.

[ EDIT: Feliburn has talked about SD Rillaboom, a set which which seems very interesting (and gets Acro to break thru Vileplume). I don't love Rillaboom as a Scarfer but this may make it worth keeping in A- ]

togedemaru up, it's a nice scarfer if you want to run something different from Big 4. SpDef could also be fun with Wish. Nuzzle is good utility.

Last edited:
Hey, I know that the meta will change a lot with tier shifts in ~8 days but we may as well start the next month with rankings that accurately reflect the meta we have now. Thus, here are a bunch of nominations:

:Indeedee: A+ --> S
Mini Tapu Lele is the most dominant special attacker and threat in the metagame now. Specs is absolute hell to check, Scarf fits great on offensive teams while outspeeding the rest of the Choice Scarf Big 4 (Pass, Rilla, Rotom, Indeedee). Great late game cleaner, great wallbreaker. Can cripple its checks with Trick, hit the very few dark types with DGleam and steel types Mystical Fire while dropping Psychic attacks on everything else. Other non-choiced sets like CM LO or AV are also great and can throw off counterplay. Snorlax is somewhat effective against it (watch out for Specs Psyshock) but very, very little else is. Has single-handedly made Silv-Dark, Scrafty, and Malamar viable; with no dark types RU by usage, these guys are what has emerged to try to stop Indeedee from spamming Psychic or Psyshock and taking a life every time. Better than Salazzle. Put this absolute demon in S.
100% agree with this. I think indeedee m is by far and away the special attacker in the tier. Both the specs and scarf set have very few answers that can consistently come in on this thing. It's speed tier puts it above the best scarf mon in passimian and pretty much the rest of the common scarfers bar togedemaru which isn't too common, but still a good scarfer, while specs set at worst ties with vally formes. The small pool of answers we do have to deal with it can't come in on certain moves and the dark types excluding dark vally loathe taking dazzling gleam and trick renders them useless.

If you don't want to go that route then even cm is a plausible option. While it's bulk isn't the greatest, it's sheer power is capable of forcing switches. Plus psychic terrain not only supports itself, but the rest of the team. I ran this alongside boltund and it really appreciates the terrain boosting psychic fangs. Indeedee also vaporizes fat grounds that bolt tends to like with its stab and mystical fire/trick to dismantle them.
:golurk: Unranked --> B+
Golurk is an absolute menace with 124 Attack, good speed, and EdgeQuake coverage alongside other shit like TPunch, Ice Punch, Dynamic Punch. Throw a Life Orb on it and watch you get up rocks while kicking every other rocker's ass with EQ and hitting pretty much every Defogger extremely hard. Idk, CB / Rock Polish could also be neat.

:drednaw: Unranked --> B: Drednaw

LegendarySerperior come preach the Drednaw gospel. The turtle, despite little defensive utility, breaks apart the LixTinePlume core that's so common with SD / Stone Edge / Liquidation / Ice Fang off of an excellent attack stat.

DVSToday at 7:28 PM
also dred can run a sr/sd/stone/liquidation set
which can still break plumetinelix
and most teams cant defog against it

Some further room for exploration for any inspired readers: CB with Head Smash, Double Dance with SD / Swift Swim Rain Dance, a rain team with like Mantine / Dred / Qwil (kinda cheese but could be effective!)
These two I can probably get behind. Drednaws SD set with stabs ice fang can quite easily dismantle common cores easily. In fact it's better at breaking cores than its closest competitor, kingler because it breaks vileplume open while kingler can't thanks to its coverage/2nd stab in stone edge. Rocks SD on the other hand provides a rocker that most removers would not want to switch into and can still break shit open. B- makes sense to me.

Golurk has similar attributes as a rocker, but golurks strength lies in its coverage. Rocks quake boltbeam punches, rocks edgeguake dynamic punch are both viable choices to run on it and it can easily destroy most other rockers while being able to deter removal via it's coverage and ghost type blocking spin.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
:coalossal: B --> B-/C+/C
0 Atk Coalossal Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 136-168 (46.5 - 57.5%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO
LMAOOOO imagine not being guaranteed to 2HKO a damn Ferroseed with a STAB Fire-type attack. This thing has ZERO offensive presence.
Rapid Spin is useful due to its scarcity but it loses to every hazard setter (unless you run Overheat for Steelix, but, even then, you don't switch in). Useful resistances but you will die to Toxic chip from things like Tales/Salazzle. Drop it some distance
ok i get that coalossal is kinda passive and shit but take a moment to look at the fire move ur using as an example

Fire Punch. Not even Flare Blitz(which you shouldn't use), just Fire Punch. Speaking of which, why would you use Fire moves off Coal's physical attack anyway? They don't dent Steelix as much as say, Flamethrower, which also completely blows away Ferroseed, (or Fire Blast if you're really out for blood)and also 2HKOs Bewear so it can't just walk in all willy-nilly thinking it can come in on Sr or rock blast, let alone wisp.Not to mention being a rocker that doesn't run for fear of Ninetales is a neat tech, and you're bound to run a cleric down the line, like Aromatisse or smth. You could even run Rock Blast to thwart Sub Salazzle when it goes for Toxic behind a sub. And as for Rapid Spin, it's dogshit anyway, there's a million defoggers so why waste your time, and even if you wanted to run a spinner Dhelmise is deadass right there, threatening every rocker bar lix. I don't think coalossal deserves a drop tbh, its got just the right offensive capabilities to slide under the radar at the moment while providing defensive utility as a rocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)