Project SS UU Break This Team [Week 16]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Approved by A Cake Wearing A Hat || Banner by A Cake Wearing A Hat || Hosted by DraconicLepus and Estarossa || OP adapted from Gen 7 UU Break This Team

Welcome to Break This Team: SS UU Edition! This project follows a simple layout, with the submission and voting stages taking place on a week by week basis. Most metagame-defining teams may seem perfect on the surface, but they all have their undeniable flaws, and this project aims to help point out those weak links. Each week, I'll post a team that was built by someone invested in the metagame, and the participants will then try to break this team with a core made of just two Pokémon.

As stated earlier, the project will have two phases each week: the submission phase and the voting phase. The submission phase will have a duration of five days and participants are allowed to post a core with two Pokémon within that time. Then, the voting phase will last two days and people can vote for 1-2 of their favorite cores (this number is subject to change, depending on the number of submitted cores). Lastly, if you win a week, you will be placed in the Hall of Fame, and if you happen to win three weeks, you'll be able to PM me with your own team and it will be submitted in this thread for that other people try to break it!

RULES:
  • Please attempt to not post one-liners. This includes extremely short descriptions. You don't need to write an elaborate essay, but try to at least provide a satisfactory description of the core. Don't post "these Pokémon work well together and I think that it will break this team ", try to elaborate on a good post with an explanation of how the core performs against the team.
  • This is not a counterteaming competition. This is an attempt to get the community to find viable, functional cores that work generally well in the meta that the team of the week is weak to. So, for example, don’t post a suicide lead + Pyukumuku as your core, because that blatantly doesn’t work well when not against the team you’re breaking.
  • Again, participants are only allowed to post one core with only two Pokémon.
  • Please don't vote on your own core, or I'll ask forum moderators to delete your post.
  • Don't rally people to vote for your own core. This is not fair at all to the other participants, and if you're caught doing this then you won’t be allowed to post or even offer any ideas in this thread.
  • A small explanation would be appreciated when voting.
  • Participants are allowed to do reservations, but if they don't post the sets with the explanation within 48 hours, other participants are allowed to take it.
  • In order to encourage creativity and originality between submissions, the same Pokemon can only be used two times maximum per submissions round.
  • Most importantly, have fun!
Posting Format:
Code:
:ss/pokemonname: + :ss/pokemonname:
[hide=Sets][/hide]
**Insert explanation here**

Current Week (Week 16):

:ss/decidueye: :ss/pangoro: :ss/noivern: :ss/rhyperior: :ss/sylveon: :ss/silvally-steel:
Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Ball
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Head

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- U-Turn
- Roost

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Megahorn

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Fire Fang

So this team here is originally built around Decidueye. I found it had a lot of useful tools for the current UU meta. With it's typing and bulk, it made it a great check to Keldeo, along with being able to beat common rockers suck as Rhyperior and Bronzong. The first partner I paired with it was Pangoro, which took advantage of many things, mainly Incineroar as Pangoro is able to freely click a move against it. The next two that were put on the team were Noivern and Rhyperior. Noivern is easily one of the best mons in the tier and with Decidueye using defog, i'm able free up with three attacks. Rhyperior is my rocks user, and there are a few different choices in its moves here. Megahorn is so I can hit grass types, mainly celebi super effectively on the switch. Smack Down allows me to more reliably deal with Galarian Weezing and Bronzong which otherwise wall Rhyperior. Sylveon is my next choice as just a good defensive fairy. Calm Mind was chosen as the last move to because it helps make sylveon much more of a threat than it otherwise would be without it. Silvally-Steel is my last slot as it gives a lot of utility, especially with Wish support from Sylveon. Swords Dance allows it to be a powerful breaker, or even cleaner due to decent speed along with a high power attack. U-Turn allows it to pivot out of unfavorable positions.​

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hall of Fame formatting:
Week x | Winner: [name of the winner]
[Mini sprites of the team of the week]
[Sprites of the winner(s)]

Hall of Fame
Week 1 | Winner: CBU
:chandelure: :drapion: :haxorus: :rhyperior: :xatu: :golisopod:
:ss/heliolisk::ss/flygon:

Week 2 | Winner: Luirromen
:toxicroak: :weavile: :bronzong: :golisopod: :gigalith: :whimsicott:
:ss/arcanine: :ss/weezing-galar:

Week 3 | Winner: Twilight
:charizard: :milotic: :umbreon: :weezing-galar: :bronzong: :noivern:

:sm/barbaracle: :sm/roserade:

Week 4 | Winner: Lilburr
:ninetales: :venusaur: :noivern: :cobalion: :gigalith: :gardevoir:

:ss/gardevoir: :ss/cobalion:

Week 5 | Winner: Luirromen
:golurk: :cobalion: :xatu: :roserade: :inteleon: :rotom-frost:

:ss/venusaur: :ss/ninetales:

Week 6 | Winner: Lilburr
:necrozma: :rotom-mow: :weezing-galar: :flygon: :escavalier: :gigalith:
:ss/lucario: :ss/rhyperior:

Week 7 | Winner: Estarossa
:espeon: :barbaracle: :haxorus: :lucario: :polteageist: :slurpuff:
:ss/barraskewda: :ss/noivern:

Week 8 | Winner: Estarossa

:rotom-wash: :noivern: :cobalion: :gardevoir: :incineroar: :doublade:
:ss/passimian: :ss/rotom-wash:

Week 9 | Winner: Datsplashtho
:gigalith: :gastrodon: :escavalier: :sylveon: :noivern: :pangoro:
:ss/machamp: :ss/sylveon:

Week 10 | Winner: Anish
:sylveon: :silvally-steel: :rhyperior: :incineroar: :rotom-wash: :flygon:
:ss/rotom-wash: :ss/sylveon:

Week 11 | Winner: Expulso
:pangoro: :arcanine: :whimsicott: :doublade: :rhyperior: :noivern:
:ss/inteleon: :ss/weezing-galar:

Week 12 | Winner: A Cake Wearing A Hat
:celebi: :incineroar: :cobalion: :escavalier: :noivern: :milotic:
:ss/copperajah: :ss/toxtricity:

Week 13 | Winner:
:haxorus: :noivern: :roserade: :golisopod: :cobalion: :rhyperior:

Last edited:
Hello everyone and welcome to the first week of SS UU Break This Team! This weeks team is provided by UU council member yeezyknows . Thank you to him for providing this weeks team! Without further ado, let's get into this.

:ss/chandelure: :ss/drapion: :ss/haxorus: :ss/rhyperior: :ss/xatu: :ss/golisopod:
Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- First Impression
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Teleport
- Roost
Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Spikes
This team is based around stacking hazards with Golisopod, Rhyperior, and Drapion. Then, the team uses Haxorus, Chandelure, and Golisopod to break through the weakened team. CB Hax and Specs Chand are two of the tier's best wallbreakers, so they do their job well. Emergency Exit and Teleport allow these wallbreakers to come in more easily.

PS: Due to the upcoming council vote on Dracozolt, it will not be allowed in this first week of cores for Break This Team!

PPS: This team is pre-HOME changes. For this week cores cannot include changes made by Pokémon HOME!

The end date of the submission phase will be Friday, February 14th.

Last edited:

Jade

why are girls?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:ss/Weezing-Galar: + :ss/Noivern:

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Strange Steam
- Flamethrower
- Defog

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-Turn
- Roost

This team has no Dragon resist and Rhyperior eventually gets worn down over time. The best switch in is Rhyperior, which has a pretty mediocre matchup vs Weezing due to repeated Steam chip and being Rock Blast instead of Stone Edge. Weezing walls Xatu, Drapion, Rhyperior, and Haxorus if its locked into anything but Earthquake. If you're feeling ballsy you can even hard Noivern into Haxorus predicting an Earthquake. Speaking of Noivern, it also deals with Golisopod and provides a means of revenging Chandelure. The latter is probably the biggest threat to this core but even its manageable. Overall, Weezing + Noivern is a major nuisance for this team, typical of any without a Steel or fat Water like Milotic or Vaporeon.

Last edited:

CBU

Banned deucer.
heliolisk.png
+
flygon.png
Honestly, I don't see how this team is supposed to stand up against volt-turn. Noivern is a valid heliolisk partner as well, but I opted for flygon since it is capable of hitting super effectively both pokemon on this team that can switch (once) into the heliolisk set I'll be proposing. Having heliolisk around for so long we know very well what it can and cannot do. Good speed, great coverage and dogshit damage output. Having said that, in a meta where fat waters are everywhere and all ground types are either offense oriented, physically defensive or x4 weak to grass, I do believe non choice-locked heliolisk is a great momentum generator. I am very much not a fan of having a non scarf heliolisk outspeed all 6 of the team members, whereas the only volt switch punisher is a x4 weak to grass pokemon. That coupled with the fact that lisk can freely volt out on both hax and drapion and bring in flygon to keep up the cycle makes me believe massive holes will be punched in very fast.

Important Calcs:
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 472-558 (108.7 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Drapion: 117-138 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

• 252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Drapion: 148-175 (43 - 50.8%) -- 4.3% chance to 2HKO

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Heliolisk Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Haxorus: 101-119 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

• 252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Drapion: 254-300 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• 252 Atk Flygon Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 240-284 (81.9 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Suggested Sets:

heliolisk.gif

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Grass Knot

flygon.gif

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly/Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage/Fire Blast

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
:ss/haxorus: :ss/ribombee:

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- First Impression
- Dragon Claw

Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- U-turn

Haxorus's Dragon STAB is unresisted by this team. It freely gets a kill or severely weakens something each time it's on the field and also outspeeds every Pokémon on the team other than the opposing Haxorus. Its ability to force a KO almost every time simply by using Dragon Claw makes it very tough for this team to counteract. I chose to run Dragon Claw over anything else bc you don't need the coverage for anything relevant and many teams rely on locking Haxorus into Outrage to revenge kill it (including this one), giving you a much easier time coming in and out to get kills.

Ribombee gets Haxorus in freely vs Xatu, Drapion and Chandelure, U-turning out of those matchups so that the dragon can get another kill. Not only is it capable of getting Haxorus in, but it also cleans this team up exceptionally following its partners onslaught by virtue of its amazing Speed tier and unresisted coverage. I chose Choice Specs because imo it's Bee's best set rn with Webs being so-so and the general lack of Moonblast resistances in the tier.

edited bc I'm too stupid to format lol

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Inteleon + Mamoswine
818.png473.png
Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- U-turn

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock/Stone Edge
Inteleon maybe can be seen as a forgettable Mon in the tier, but it can be really useful running a Choice Specs set, just having some problems dealing with Milotic/Vaporeon/Mantine, but here is not the case, Inteleon can easy get free KO by just spamming Hydro Pump, really, the best water switch in on this team is Golisipod and can get 2HKO by Hydro Pump an also if joins as a Switch In the most probably is that Emergency Exit will be activated, and if u wanna have some momentum just use U-Turn to bring another pokemon.
252 SpA Choice Specs Inteleon Hydro Pump vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Golisopod: 143-168 (47.5 - 55.8%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Inteleon Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 351-414 (105 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Inteleon Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Drapion: 229-270 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Then we have LO Mamoswine, since Beta Mamoswine showed a good capability of Wallbreak opposing teams, and here we have the same problem with Inteleon, the best switch in to Mamoswine is Golisopod, the Ice-Ground coverage hits the entire team, also u can drop Stealth Rocks and run Stone Edge for more coverage if u have another SR user or run Jolly nature instead of adamant.
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Stone Edge vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Golisopod: 234-276 (70.2 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 281-330 (64.7 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 205-244 (69.9 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hope this offensive core will be considered!

Thanks to everyone for voting this week! And with a very large vote lead the winner of the first week of Break This Team is CBU !
9 CBU
3 Luirromen
2 Juuno
2 Lilburr

Our next week's team is built by none other than myself! Let's get right into it.

:ss/toxicroak: :ss/weavile: :ss/bronzong: :ss/golisopod: :ss/gigalith: :ss/whimsicott:
Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Grass Knot

Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- U-turn
So originally, this team was a Bewear team. That didn't happen. The star of the show really is Toxicroak, a super anti-meta pick that abuses a lot of the common choices in the tier. There are two main sets, and I went with a nasty plot breaker since it can deal with most common defensive cores easily, leaving lots of freedom for the rest of the team. Focus Blast was chosen over vacuum wave for power over sweeping potential. Next mon is Weavile, a known threat to its new access to Knock Off. Combined with its speed it is one of the pokemon in UU that always needs to be accounted for. Bronzong is my next mon, and I will explain this set. Bronzong is known for its defensive utility, and ability to compress roles with being a rocker. Due to having a rocker in Gigalith, and still wanting that defensive prowess I opted for a more offensive set to take advantage of its great coverage. It really lures and beats common pokemon that would try to take advantage of its passive nature, being able to kill them typically. Golisopod is next and its much improved compared to last gen. Spikes helps Toxicroak and Weavile go against both offensive and defensive teams alike, while being a good late game cleaner itself due to First Impression+Aqua Jet. It also packs a ton of resistances that are greatly appreciates. Gigalith is a solid rocker being able to check most special attackers very well due to the special defense boost sand gives. A very solid rocker in the current meta. Whimsicott rounds off the team in being another anti-meta choice in its typing being able to check a lot of pokemon, while also being able to beat common water and dark types like Milotic and Umbreon due to the boost of power Choice Specs gives.

This submission phase of Break This Team will end Friday, February 21st! Happy posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)