Project SS UU Research Week - UU RESEARCH - Week 42 Roost Hydreigon and Any sets Crobat - New System !

Notily

dirt rich
:slowbro::roserade::sylveon::cobalion::krookodile::noivern:
https://pokepast.es/7428787793a357b4

i used this for all my games. figured most people would be using the teleport set so i thought i'd see how cm fared in this meta. other than teleport i thought the other sets sounded sucky (block / iron defense) and couldnt really build anything i liked with them. i think a pivot set with ice beam in the last slot + SpA investment for grasses probably has some merit but i never got around to building something with it. this team has some pretty big flaws (opposing toxic slowtwins, teacup, specs sylv) but it stomped through lower ladder well enough.

most of my wins came from slowbro abusing tspikes. slowbro really appreciates having them up as it makes it difficult for the mons that can kill a +1 bro to stay healthy over the course of a game. the tier being full of really strong breakers is kinda bad for cm bro cause theres usually something in the back that can OHKO it (ie leaf storm rose, alowak) so odds are it wont sweep most games. being deadweight vs jungle healing zarude and celebi is also pretty lame.

notily thinks: cm has some merit but pivot sets are gonna be more valuable in most games, give back signal beam pls

Okay so I didn't play games on alt because I forgot, also I'm here to test not win discount OLT

Slowbro

:bw/slowbro:

Honestly, I underestimated Slowbro's physical bulk. While we all know what it does and what Slowking did (basically the same thing), the physical bulk makes it so much more helpful imo. Being able to actually check Mamoswine/Terrakion/Keld(not all 3 at the same time) all in one slot is really useful instead of resorting to Palo/Lurk + Washtom/Weez cores that you would generally see. I think Thunder Wave is one of the best options for Slowbro in the third slot, even more then future sight, as when paired with offensive mons, having their speed control para'd can greatly increase the pressure your offensive breaker/wincon opposes on them. Most typical switch-ins into Slowbro seem to be Noivern, Zarude, Celebi, AV Reuniclus, and even opposing Slowbro/Slowking. Slack Off can be used if you don't really need to punish these switch-ins, or can otherwise pressure them, e.i. Mamo's Ice Shard or a revenge killer that MU's well vs the offensive threat. Toxic is another option to punish the more defensive switch-ins, such as Reuni and Slowtwins, but I honestly think Thunder Wave is the superior option.

However, this mon isn't perfect. Slowbro is pretty easy to lure, as water psychic is a good and bad defensive type in the meta. Checking fighting types and water types is great, however, most of these have some form of Dark/Bug/Electric/Grass attack to threaten Bro with. A good example of this is SD Megahorn Cobalion, which has become increasingly common on the ladder, as Slowbro can't take 2 at +2 and even when Cobalion is at neutral, Megahorn is doing more then Regen can recover. Another issue I've ran into is the lack of special bulk. The cool thing about Slowking is that it could function as a backup check to stuff like Noivern due to it's massive special bulk. Slowbro doesn't quite have that bulk, so hits that Slowking could shrug off, Slowbro loses out.

(click me)
Here's one of the teams I'm comfortable with sharing. It's not anything Estarossa or Amane Misa level, but it's not the worst build out there. Basically, it's Bro+Gigalith, which covers a bunch of threats, + like a million Grass checks. Mamo got a lot better this shift imo, so i've been pretty big on it recently.

tl;dr - Slowbro is a great addition to the UU tier. Status options tend to be good in the 3rd slot, and Slack Off/Future Sight can be okay options for more offensively focused builds. While it does have its flaws, it's upsides definitively outweigh it's downsides. 8/10

Zarude

The second newest addition to the UU tier, Zarude has absolutely blown past people's expectations as a okay mon, and has shown itself to be a top threat. It's speed tier is pretty good, typing the other base 105's, such as Scyther and Mienshao. It has a versatile set of options it can run, such as a Pivot set, Choice Band, Bulk Up and Choice Scarf. It's bulk is also somewhat surprising, as it can live hits you wouldn't expect, such as always living Cobalion's CC from full health. The set I mostly used was Bulk Up, so I'll primarily be talking about that.

As you probably know, Jungle Healing is Zarude's signature move and it's pretty good. However, healing only 25% can be quite a hindrance in some situations. This is one of the things me and DraconicLepus have discussed on a couple occasions, not actually about RW though, and what I've also found in testing for RW. Synthesis seems to be better on Pivot sets with Heavy-Duty Boots. Bulk Up appreciates Jungle Healing a bunch, so when paired with Leftovers, almost makes up for missing half a recovery. Bulk Up is very potent in my opinion, as you can set up on weaker physical attackers and pokemon such as Mudsdale or Bronzong that would have Body Press to attempt to threaten you. +1 Power Whip hits quite hard, and Darkest Lariat is nice for beating Iron Defense + Body Press pokemon that would set-up alongside Zarude (I ran into like 4 of these).

My issue with Zarude is that it's so easy to see coming, and is punished very severely by U-turn. While in theory, it should be a Scald switch-in, It really doesn't want to be burned, so Jungle Healing sets are the only true answers to Scald. It's also slow enough to be pray to the muskateers, as well as the ever popular Noivern, and risking a tie with Mienshao can force very not fun 50/50s for you. Again, Jungle Healing is kinda bad for recovery alone, so you're kinda forced into either synth with no status removal or status removal with crappy longevity. However, again the pros seemingly outweigh the cons.

tl;dr - Zarude is okay, Bulk Up is pretty good in the current metagame, but due to it's moderate speed tier, falls pray to stuff like Lycanroc-D, Noivern, and Talonflame. Overall, Zarude is a very versatile pokemon in my opinion, so it's a 7.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
Hello, I tested Zarude on the ladd and I find it very cool I'll explain why.

Zarude
1599647774402.png

At first, I thought that his x4 weakness has u-turn and has the presence of slowking and the slowbro return which does not allow to come without fearing the burn of scald.Ducoup, I thought that the bulk up with jungle healing will be strong to get rid of this burn.In addition with its very correct bluk, with bulk up it will be difficult to knock it out on the physical.But the presence of faster pokemons such as noivern, talonflamme, and poké speeds tie at 105 speeds such as scyther and Mienshao, we had to first eliminate these threats before being able to place. Duck, I tested with the band which has only one switch in is weezing -g. All other pokémons are expensive if you click the right attack.

Look at this:

252 Atk Choice Band Zarude Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 262-309 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Zarude Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 272-320 (69.2 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zarude Darkest Lariat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 237-280 (76.2 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zarude Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Tentacruel: 360-424 (98.9 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

And in combat:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1183554582-0layzce8gajlpftmyu1x195elfldnj6pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1183626286-ukgaxeqi3hsdb7hx51i6k9u8df48n90pw

And the sets that I think will be played: https://pokepast.es/e6d71b90e292f4cf

The team I played: https://pokepast.es/c21a158d10a47fbb

I find that slowbro + weezing-g more or less handles most third party threats, plus slowbro can bring Zarude in to avoid wow, scald or t-wave.
I arrived at 1500 on the ladd with this team.
Results week for zarude.PNG

I think Zarude band can be extremely strong against teams that don't have weezing-g. Bulk up can be just as dangerous but he needs to be well surrounded. For me, Zarude deserves an 8.5 / 10

For my first participation in this project, I'm happy with what I did and I think the project is super cool, I would definitely do it again.

Sorry, I don't speak English very well, so this is done with a translator, so you can tell me if you don't understand something, I will try to change it.

My report for Zarude, i will try to explain the differents sets and why it's viable in UU :

First of all, let's talk about Zarude. It is a dark bulky type of plant (105, 105, 95), fast and hitting hard on the physique (105 in speed and 120 in attack). His movepool is rather ok with access to power whip, close combat, u-turn but with an absence of sabotage, a bit of a shame for a dark type. He also has 2 healing moves and several set up moves, such as nasty plot, growth and bulk up.

Let's talk about the differents sets :

+

Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Close Combat / Iron Tail
- U-turn

One of Zarude's best sets in my opinion, with the scarf choice. The reason? The number of pokemon in UU that Zarude can threaten is very numerous: Chansey, Palossand, celebi, krookodile, slowbro, slowking, starmie, bisharp ...
The Set choice band allows you to take advantage of the pressure put on these pokemons by hitting them very hard and to potentially take a kill in front of a badly prepared team against Zarude.

I play the choice band set with this team : https://pokepast.es/767278a2706bd612 (s/o DraconicLepus, really cool team ^^ )

+

Zarude @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat / Iron Tail / Rock Slide
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat

The set choice scarf makes it possible to enlarge the list of pokemons that zarude can threaten. You can then include pokemons such as keldeo, scarf candle, sharpedo at +1, the other non scarf zarude ... It's also, for me, the only viable choice scarf grass typ in UU with rotom mow, and zarude is faster than rotom.
This set is then more a cleaner than a breaker like the set choice band.

I play the choice band set with this team : https://pokepast.es/67c42fd7844b9b29
This team just use the fact that zarude can outsleep and threaten a lot of pokemon in UU to trap your oppo in the volturn. Once Kindgra break the opposite team, choice scarf zarude can sweep

+

Zarude @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Power Whip
- Close Combat / Synthesis
- Throat Chop / Darkest Lariat

The fact that Zarude can already threaten many pokemons without having to use the choice scarf means that he can stand on many pokemons. A team with the sticky can allow him to sweep more easily.

I play this set with this team : https://pokepast.es/4198c7d8c5d45885

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1182687267-xvaolqyn9l8vxyce1si9lqcx52x6tlppw

Conclusion :
Zarude is a pokemon that totally belongs in the UU in my opinion. He is powerful, fast and threatens a lot of pokemons, has several viable sets each with their own advantages and finally, in my opinion, he is the best offensive plant type in the tier !

Hey!
It's Chapino

Sorry I took my time to send the thread, I'll begin with Zarude

:zarude:
I'll begin to set the advantage and the disadvantages of him
Good Point,
Excellent Stat, indeed a very good bulk, a wonderful speed and a great attack
Movepool, defensive AND offensive, very variable set
Disavantages
A poor defensive type, with a x4 to bug and U Turn

In my matches when I played him, I listed some set
Choice Band
Choice Scarf
LO
Leftovers Offensive Pivot
Leftovers defensive puvot
Defensive (Synthesis)
Assault Vest

All of this a re excellent and I think that it's the most important thing for him, he will be a sure top tier, but not that revelant to.being banned

:slowbro: :slowking:
I'll make it quick... Future Sight, Teleport, Scald, Slack Off, Regenerator, Flamethrower

Whant more? HE WALL TERRAKION AND LYCANROC m, but a little bit passive, he can be great as a good partner with Chansey, very useful!!!

A list of core for our new favorite pokemon =-))

Balanced and Defensive

:zarude: :palossand:
:zarude: :tentacruel:
:zarude: :porygon2:
:zarude: :rotom-wash:/:rotom-mow:
:slowbro: :chansey:
:slowking: :doublade:
:slowbro: :zarude:

Offensive

:zarude: :rotom-wash:
:zarude: :mimikyu:
:zarude: :terrakion:
:zarude: :starmie:
:zarude: :charizard: (:torkoal:)
:zarude: :keldeo:

I think that's all, ty for reading my poor English

Thanks to everyone for the very successful week! Our winner is SuperGabiel! Congratulations!

Zarude was a very popular pick and also had many success from all the people who tested it! There are a multitude of sets it could run, such as: Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Bulk Up, and Pivot. One part that has a big appeal is Zarude's signature move Jungle Healing, mainly used on Bulk Up sets and Pivot sets. While being a useful move by healing any status off of Zarude, it only heals 25% which is very mediocre. Synthesis can be used for the higher healing, but it makes Zarude a worse pivot due to it being susceptible to status. Choice Band sets give Zarude great immediate power, and Choice Scarf increases its speed to be one of the best scarfers. Bulk Up and Zarude's coverage makes it a very deadly setup mon, though there are still many checks to it. Overall, it's high bulk and power, and overall good speed leaves Zarude at a high standing in the UU meta, and is a very good option.

Slowbro also had very good reviews from those who tested it. It's physical bulk is unmatched, being able to check a lot of the tiers scariest physical pokemon such as Terrakion. While it doesn't check special attackers such as Noivern or Keldeo as well, it's still a very viable options due to how many physical attackers there are. Teleport is still as viable as it was on Slowking. Notily checked one set that no one else did and that was a Calm Mind set. While it has some merit due to Slowbro's great coverage and good typing, it's noted that pivot sets are generally better in the current UU meta.

Let's not waste any times and get onto Week 20's choices!

:ss/kingdra:
Kingdra @
Ability:
EVs:
any Nature
-
-
-
-

:ss/talonflame:
Talonflame @
Ability:
EVs:
any Nature
-
-
-
-

Kingdra is our first choice! We thought that this was a very underexplored mon with a few cool options. With options from Dragon Dance, to a Rain Dance Cleaner. With good coverage such as hurricane in the rain, or pivoting with Flip Turn on specs, how well does Kingdra do in the current meta? What set does it have most success with?

Talonflame has been seeing a rise in usage lately. It has a few options between offensive and defensive sets, and it's Fire/Flying option making it a great check to pokemon like Sylveon who are on the rise. Are offensive or defensive sets better?

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW20 Draconic or SSRW20 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on September 17th at 11:59 PM GMT-6. Have fun everyone!!

Last edited:

Let's talk about Kingdra, this mon ruled the OR for a while thanks to the popularity and power of the rain teams. But in UU, there is no rain :(
So I have analysed the different sets of Kingdra only 3 seem viable to me:

Rain cleaner :

rain cleaner (Kingdra) @ Life Orb / Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane

The Rain Dance set is a solid cleaner, the most correct of kingdra allows him without any problem to place a rain dance, to be then faster than all the opposing team and to destroy the rest of the opposing team with Hpump under the rain. Hurricane is also a useful move under the rain to be able to destroy pokemon plants without having to use DM.

The weakness of this set lies mainly in Rain's number of turn, only 4. If the opponent predicts well, kingdra may not be able to do his job and once weakened by the life orbit, kingdra will never be able to replace the rain again.
Another thing, if kingdra is played with the life orb, he may tank a big attack, but may also die from the recoil of the life orb. The Mystic Water item can solve this problem, but kingdra will then hurt less.
252+ SpA Mystic Water Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon in Rain: 229-270 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon in Rain: 247-292 (62.6 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 208-247 (57.1 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon in Rain: 247-292 (62.6 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 208-247 (57.1 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon in Rain: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong in Rain: 203-239 (60 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 226-266 (57.3 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 292-344 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cobalion in Rain: 403-476 (124.7 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dragon Dance :

dance draco (Kingdra) @ Life Orb / Mystic Water
Ability: Sniper
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Head / Substitute
- Waterfall
- Outrage

The dance draco set is a breaker / cleaner set. Thanks to its correct bulk and under the screens, kingdra can easily place 2 dd, and then destroy the opposing team. Iron head is an option to better pass weezing-galar and sylveon, the other one being the Substitute, allowing you to not get toxic.

The problem with se set is again the recoil damage, but also the movepool of physical kingdra, because if he has to block on outrage, a fairy type can rk him. The basic stat difference between Hpump and waterfall is also very important, dd kingdra doesn't hit as hard as his other rain dance set and therefore has to place a draco dance to be able to do his job.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kingdra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Tentacruel: 390-460 (107.1 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kingdra Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 252-299 (63.9 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kingdra Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bronzong: 175-208 (51.7 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kingdra Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 161-191 (49.8 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Kingdra Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Weezing-Galar: 177-208 (52.9 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Agility + Focus energy :

focus energy (Kingdra) @ Mystic Water
Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Agility

Slow but powerful, this is a summary of the last set of kingdra. It is based on the fact that kingdra has a correct general bulk and double type to tank the shots and succeed in placing agility and focus energy. This combo can surprise a lot and makes kingdra very strong and threatening once placed, even stronger than the other 2 forwards!
The main issue is that without agility + focus energy, this kingdra set is not really a threat. Indeed without focus energy, kingdra doesn't hurt enough :

252+ SpA Mystic Water Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

and without agility, kingdra can easily be made rk by pokemons like cobalion, noivern, zarude ...
One last cool thing with this set, as you only do critical hits, DM's Spa drop doesn't count :)
252+ SpA Mystic Water Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon on a critical hit: 343-405 (87 - 102.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel on a critical hit: 361-427 (99.1 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mystic Water Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong on a critical hit: 279-330 (82.5 - 97.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mantine on a critical hit: 316-373 (84.4 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mystic Water Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon on a critical hit: 258-306 (65.4 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

conclusion :

Kindgra is a correct pokemon, he has several physical or special sets that can surprise a team and can force kills. But his lack of basic power doesn't allow him to shine on his own and therefore has to rely on the work of the other pokemons in the team to be able to weaken the opposing team.

6.5/10

Last edited:
So I actually lost track of time completely and didn't ladder on my research alt at all. Whoops. Anyway--

:talonflame: @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

Went with a more defensive Talonflame this week as while I could find opportunities for offensive birb to get a SD, the team I made was Fairy prone. It did a good job dealing with Sylveon, and getting a fast burn on physical attackers. On the weak side though, failing to revenge things like Noivern.

:kingdra: @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Liquidation
- Outrage

Sub DD is a set hailing from Gen 5, so it tended to be able to set up with the surprise factor at least. Haxorus 2.0 it is not, however, as even with +2 its damage output isn't great. Lum Berry to help set up or get rid of Outrage confusion. Could probably clean up with hazard support, but...eh. I wasn't feeling it.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Been busy all week so not going to write a very big post here, but have used quite a bit of Talonflame lately so definitely wanted to share some thoughts on it.

:talonflame: Offensive Talonflame :talonflame:

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body / Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

:talonflame: Teams Used :talonflame:

:roserade: :sharpedo: :rhyperior: :sylveon: :doublade: :talonflame: - Sharpedo Spikes w/ Talonflame
https://pokepast.es/9d2945dcd9071846

:roserade: :milotic: :talonflame: :doublade: :cobalion: :flygon: - Comp Milo Spikes w/ Talonflame
https://pokepast.es/8051415402fae2c4

:talonflame: Thoughts and Comments :talonflame:

In my opinion, Talonflame is genuinely a massive offensive threat right now to most teams that aren't running a Slowbro for whatever reason, ie. highly offensive / using glowbro / using slowking. That brilliant typing + faster than noivern speed tier is so nice as a natural form of speed control, while both Gale Wings and Flame Body have particularly great applications in terms of Lycanroc-D or in terms of checking stuff like Cobalion and Doublade.

As can be seen from the teams I used it on, i obviously prefer it on Spikes offense atm, I feel that the typing + great speed control + ability to serve as both a breaker and a win con that noivern lacks is fantastic on some of these teams. It doesn't really benefit from Spikes massively itself apart from chipping dowm Rhyperior, but the speed control and ability to check Pokemon like Doublade, Mimikyu, Sylveon, and Boots Zarude and have insurances with Flame Body is really valuable for an offense.

Personally I prefer Roost over U-turn on these sets, having the recovery lets you use the great typing + flame body much more aggressively during a game, you don't really want to be taking things like a Cobalion Volt Switch otherwise. Its also definitely more useful with Gale Wings too as its the only way to really get back into full HP, but I think Flame Body is much superior in general as its not too hard to fit multiple offensive checks to Lycanroc-D on these teams like Doublade / Chople Coba / Phys def rhyperior, and its not very reliable anyway to expect you to be both at full HP and +2 to actually threaten a lycanroc unless its chipped itself down heavily into +0 attack range.

Overall, Talonflame offers a great typing that lets it check a bunch of threatening Pokemon like Sylveon, Zarude, and Cobalion, while offering powerful speed control to check stuff like Terrakion and Keldeo. This good sylveon matchup, the ability to punish stuff like Zarude u-turns with burns, and the ability to serve as a set up breaker is really where it sets itself apart from Noivern. When using it you really need to have multiple ways of pressuring Slowbro though, as you end up very weak to it, stuff like Roserade, Sharpedo, and Shadow Claw Doublade are obviously great for this.

:talonflame: Defensive Talonflame :talonflame:

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog / U-turn

:talonflame: Teams Used :talonflame:

:snorlax: :weezing-galar: :slowbro: :talonflame: :doublade: :rhyperior: - GscLax BO
https://pokepast.es/1d8313b908a39fc6

:talonflame: Thoughts and Comments :talonflame:

Defensive talonflame is a really neat option as a check to Pokemon like Mimikyu, Doublade, and Zarude with Flame Body + Will-O-Wisp and the incredible speed tier. As a defogger, having a decent matchup versus Roserade is also a massive plus, preventing it just switching straight back into you like against a weezing/washtom/mowtom, making it nice for teams that struggle more with Spikes than they do Rocks.

This really is comparable to Noivern in a way as a defogger, offering the speed control to pressure some stuff like Keldeo and Zarude, and having the nice matchup vs Spikes, but it offers a much more defensive approach, and its ability to check offensive sylveon sets and directly punish u-turning with flame body is really nice.

Overall Defensive talonflame is just a really nice glue thanks to the wide range of Pokemon it checks like Zarude, MMQ, celebi, offensive sylveon, and the great utility it offers with flame body and fog/u-turn. Will-O-Wisp is also really nice for making it not so easily taken advantage of, a lot of stuff that pressure it like Lycanroc / Rhyperior don't really like switching directly into a Burn.

The crippling Knock weakness can be a bit annoying at times, this really means that you can't really rely on it as a ground immunity without another good ground check otherwise Krookodile becomes very problematic, and it doesn't really check Weezing like you might want it to because so many of them run corrosive gas. This can also be rough with Escavalier since you'd be such a nice check to it otherwise, but you can definitely have a look at the matchup and decide whether you can afford to lose boots depending on what their rocker is and whether you beat it 1v1, ie. does the coba have volt switch.

first time i write the the announcement of the beginning of the week uwu
Sorry for the delay, let's start this week 21,

Thanks to everyone for the very successful week! Our winner is KSt3ve! Congratulations ... to myself ...

Our first choice, Kingdra, turned out to be a fairly average pokemon in UU. Where he was terrorizing teams with powerful Hpump under the rain in OU, Kingdra in UU seems to be very average, despite an interesting double type and a correct bulk for a sweeper, his attack stats are too low and doesn't allow him to pass pokemons such as Sylveon, Slowking, Slowbro. The agility + Energy focuse set seems to be the strongest, able to sweep easily thanks to Kingdra's sniper talent. But this set requires the use of the screens to hold 2 shots and position yourself.

Talonflames seems to have been much more convincing. With its high speed statistics and the disappearance of lycanroc, Talonflame seems to be able to shine at last. The defensive set allows him to block cobalion without stone edge, will-o-wisp, burn with his flame body talent and defog easily. He can even keep the momentum with U-turn. The Offensive set with Sword Dance is a real threat. Being the fastest pokemon in the tier by surpassing Noivern, Talonflame has the ability to sweep a team with powerful moves such as Brave Bird and Flare Blitz.

Week 21, let's go !

Slowbro-Galar @ any
Ability: Any
Evs:
any Nature
-
-
-
-

:ss/zoroark:
Zoroark @ any
Ability: Illusion
IVs:
any Nature
-
-
-
-

Our first choice was Slowbro-Galar, the famous Assault Vest set has recently proven to be totally viable in the UU, able to come into the field easily and threaten pokemons such as Sylveon, remove toxic spikes. But Nasty Plot sets have proven to be equally devastating against unprepared teams. Is Slowbro-Galar the future top tier or is it totally outclassed by other pokemons?

Our second choice is Zoroark. His unique talent, high stats and access to Nasty Plot make him a potentially threatening breaker or sweeper in UU. But his very average bulk makes him less strong compared to other dark types like Zarude. What are Zoroark's viable sets in UU and how does this pokemon stand out from other dark types?

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW21 Draconic or SSRW21 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on October 6th at 11:59 PM GMT-6. Have fun everyone!!

Last edited:
SSRW 21: Zoroark
Reporting from the rungs of low ladder

Introduction​
I was motivated this week to use Zoroark as one of the picks, mainly because it's a pokemon you don't see to often on the current UU ladder (post DLC 1/pre DLC2). Taking advantage of a fringe pick that acts as a wild card for any other of the 5 slots on the team, may put you a leg up depending on how well you play the rest of your hand. In the following passage, you'll see for yourself how Zoroark can complement the all or nothing playstyle of Hyper Offense.

The Set:
zoroark.gif

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower​

This is the one and only set I used to a consistent degree, however one time I tried Burning Jealousy over Flamethrower. As you can imagine, it's underpowered over the long run compared to flamethrower because it's too situational to trigger. Standard though it may be, the kit appreciates nailing (g) slowbro poking around everywhere you look, while offering nice coverage against Sylv, Coba, g Weezing, and Zarude to name some of the top UU threats. Timid nature is required to even the odds against non-scarf Mienshao and Zarude U-Turning to scout Illusion. Nasty Plot will patch up damage output two-fold for any other bulkier, slower threats.

The Team:
Zoroark Hyper Offense
Synergy be damned, hit'em till they drop.
whimsicott.gif
keldeo.gif
polteageist.gif
klefki.gif
necrozma.gif
This was my take on an HO squad, partly inspired by something I ran into on ladder. Someone used double switcheroo scarf Whimsicott and Noivern to scary effect, enough for me to steal borrow for this team. It originally had Talonflame over Necroz in its first iteration. Whimsicott is compressed into a hazard remover foremost, a stall-breaker, and finally a gambit at the right time in the game. Kelds, Teapot, and Necrozzzzma, helped to break each other's weaknesses, while steel beam Boo-boo keys set up screens for one of the wall-breakers or sweepers. Sprinkle in the Illusion Fox pokemon to insight as much wariness into the opponent as possible in order to set up and win. A disguise used in committed fashion, can lead to the opponent's dissatisfaction.

Replays:​
Replays 1 and 2 show utility in keeping Zoroark in the back against an opponent who set up with a Polteageist of their own. In conjunction with screens, it staved off a Giga Drain and revenge-killed with Dark Pulse. With that said, without screens support, Zoro would have dropped to +2 Giga Drain after rocks. One would have been better off with a Zarude or Bisharp (this was a common inclination I had while laddering). Last note for this battle was Whimsi did its job to cripple Chansey. While there were blunders on both sides, this battle sufficed to show a simple stop-gap to a sweep.

Replay 3 demonstrates Zoroark behind screens pivoting into a Autotomize/WP Jolly Necrozma. Nasty Plot helped to override a WP sweep since +0 Dark Pulse would've triggered it. Not much else to say here, since it was a short battle riddled with misplays.

Replay 4 is a pipe dream to happen, but don't expect to get so lucky mid to high ladder.

Conclusion:​
I tried to ladder for a while even during this write-up, but plateaued around low 1300's with the team. Trying anything else but screens produced little opportunity for Zoroark to do anything worthwhile, while it's a hit or miss trying to setup a NP sweep under screens. Other dark types who are bulkier like Zarude or Krookodile can benefit better than Zoro. The last interesting tidbit to share is that Shedinja in conjunction with Zoro could create mind games, but is probably too gimmicky in practice. Hope you enjoyed the read. Use Zarude, Bisharp, Krookodile, or any other dark type in UU for that matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)