Project SS UU Research Week - UU RESEARCH - Week 42 Roost Hydreigon and Any sets Crobat - New System !

Scyther is an amazing mon with his new attack, Dual Wingbeat. I try 2 sets of this guys, one for volturn's team and one for HO's team
Scyther @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I play this set with this team : https://pokepast.es/c5a3ad68718a9a32
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite

I play this set with this team : https://pokepast.es/b8828bb39a501257
Bug bite help you to sweep at the end of a game, while U-turn help you keep the momentum. In addition to being a counter to Rillaboom (with his priority attack), Scyther can easily place himself with SD and make big holes in the opposing team. With 105 in speed, Scyther out speed a lot of things, like celebi, but also mon that will drop (mimikyu, Tentacruel, Comfey ...)
Now, let's talk about scyther's bulk. Scyther is pretty bulky, with 70 in hp and 80 in both Def and Spdef, you can tank a lot of move if you are full life and rk :

252 SpA Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Scyther: 208-246 (74 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (flam does 68.3 - 81.1%)
252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Scyther: 123-145 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Scyther: 234-276 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Scyther: 248-292 (88.2 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Because most of the UU team are slow at the moment, you can survive one hit from those guys, kill him and come back later thanks to your boots
With 105 in speed, Scyther outspeed most of the pokemons of the tier, and with the combination of sd + 110 in attack, Scyther is a big threat :

(without SD) :
252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 212-252 (68.1 - 81%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 384-456 (118.8 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Barraskewda: 266-314 (101.1 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(after SD):
+2 252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 282-332 (87.3 - 102.7%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Scyther Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bronzong: 330-390 (97.6 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Incineroar: 254-302 (64.6 - 76.8%) -- approx. 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 314-372 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- approx. 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 330-390 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Weezing-Galar: 230-272 (68.8 - 81.4%) -- approx. 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 Atk Technician Scyther Bug Bite vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 387-456 (115.5 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
1593175844276.png

Conclusion :
Scyther is a really good mon in volturn team and HO team, his bulk + good speed + access to sd with a great attack stat allows him to either put a lot of pressure with u-turn and sd, or can sweep at the end of a game.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
:scyther: Scyther :scyther:

:ss/scyther:

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Dual Wingbeat
- U-turn

:scyther: Teams Used :scyther:

:scyther: :roserade: :milotic: :noivern: :sylveon: :cobalion: - Spikestack w/ Comp Milo
https://pokepast.es/fad8d4b084e83dc9

:scyther: :roserade: :golurk: :cobalion: :sylveon: :noivern: - Spikestack w/ Rocks Golurk
https://pokepast.es/de2f51b64eb622c0

:scyther: Thoughts and Comments :scyther:

Scyther really thrives on the general lack of good Flying resists our tier posesses. Our best two in Copperajah and Rhyperior are both easily taken advantage of by Scyther, Copperajah doesn't really have the physical bulk to deal with Scyther long-term, with +2 Knock Off doing ~70%, while Rhyperior is easily worn down especially with Knock Off, and taken advantage of on switch in by U-turn.

Its decent speed tier and hazard immunity coupled with the above makes it really cool on offense teams, checking pokemon like Roserade, Pangoro, Rillaboom, and Celebi and getting decent set up oppotrunities when forcing out these Pokemon, while being able to serve as a nice pivot earlier game. The hazard immunity also makes it quite annoying for a lot of Webs teams running around, which tend to pack counterplay to Noivern with stuff like Cm Sylv but less so for Scyther.

I explored sets with Roost over Knock Off too when we first got Scyther, but Scyther generally doesn't click Roost too often, and when it does get opportunities it's better off just Clicking U-turn. Knock Off instead provides a lot more early game utility, ability to punish checks like Rhyperior/Noivern, and makes you able to get through Copperajah without a lot of chip.

Roserade and CM Sylveon are both Pokemon that pair amazingly with Scyther. Roserade in general pairs greatly with it, dealing with Rhyperior and pressuring bulky water checks, setting spikes to wear down rajah/rhyp switch ins, and being able to sleep shared check in Noivern with Sleep Powder. Sylveon absolutely loves Scyther wearing down stuff like Copperajah for it, while Sylveon easily sets up on Scyther's main revenge killer in Noivern.

General downsides with running Scyther i've found however are that its a Bug-type that struggles to reliably pressure Necrozma/Reuniclus unlike Escavalier, and that its speed tier is slightly slower than it would like, as Keldeo/Heliolisk/Stone Edge Cobalion can outspeed it and revenge kill it, unlike if it was Base 110. This + its natural scyther weakness necessitates a decent level of team support.

:scyther: Conclusions :scyther:

Scyther is a decent option in the tier for offense teams, and can easily put a lot of pressure on teams not running Rhyperior. It generally puts in work in most matchups, with its decent speed tier + strong flying stab + hazard immunity making it useful in offense matchups, while it can easily be a threat to bulkier teams when checks are weakened, especially as the main check on such teams in Noivern cannot hard switch in due to the threat of U-turn/Knock Off. It requires some level of team support to make up for its inability to threaten bulky Psychic-types properly and its weakness to Noivern, but is a dangerous threat that cannot be ignored in the builder.

:barraskewda: Barraskewda :barraskewda:

:ss/barraskewda:

Barraskewda @ Mystic Water / Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Ice Fang
- Flip Turn

:barraskewda: Teams Used :barraskewda:

:barraskewda: :celebi: :noivern: :golisopod: :sylveon: :copperajah:
https://pokepast.es/acee95ba9b387b14

:barraskewda:Thoughts and Comments :barraskewda:

Barraskewda, even before gaining access to Flip Turn, was a pretty decent anti-offense Pokemon, being faster than Noivern and having the coverage to generally hit everything neutrally. The drop in usage of Scarf Flygon post Haxorus ban, and now gaining access to Flip Turn have made it even scarier as an anti-offense Pokemon, with Water-immunities like Gastrodon/Jellicent/Vaporeon only really fitting on bulkier teams, and preventing it from being a momentum sink against stuff like Rotom-Wash.

Barraksewda is unfortunately still fairly useless in balance matchups however, which can quite easily fit such Pokemon on them, with Flip Turn Vaporeon or Gastrodon + Copperajah balances being fairly common sights. It also provides absolutely no defensive utility as a water type in matchups like this either, making it a fairly dead weight slot.

I've seen quite varied opinions on what the best item is between Choice Band, Life Orb, and Mystic Water. Personally, I feel like Choice Band has always been a fairly poor choice, making it a lot easier to play around Barraskewda, while the other two items prevent Pokemon like Roserade/Noivern freely revenge killing you after you lock into a move. With Flip Turn especially though, I feel like Life Orb just chips you far too much too quickly, especially when combined with entry hazards. Mystic Water is the preferable item for me, letting you both bluff Choice Band, and get important damage increase on Liquidation/Flip Turn still, while avoiding chip.

Because of the above issues with water-immunities, Barraskewda absolutely mandates strong anti-water type teammates. Roserade/Celebi generally just greatly appreciate Barraskewda bringing them in on Rotom-Wash, and can put a lot of pressure on bulkier teams that barraskewda can't handle. Spikes support from Roserade/Golisopod can let you put a bit of pressure on switch-ins and even Gastrodon too, while you won't break it you do force it to heal a lot more often so you aren't constantly giving up momentum.

Because it can be annoying to deal with for offense, I'll offer some ways Ive been actually dealing with this when playing it. None of these methods actually stop it just Flip Turning on you, but they provide much more sturdy switch ins than you'd get otherwise with stuff like Rotom-Wash, which gets worn down way too easily with Close Combat, and Celebi, which can get 2hkoed by Ice Fang.

:milotic: - Competitive Milotic is a great way of fitting a durable long term check to Barraskewda, that unlike stuff like Jelli/Gastro actually fits on more offensive entry hazard stacking teams. These sort of team structures do really well vs Skewda in general, skewda hates the hazard stacking while the opposing teams can't really deal with a +2 milotic super well if they do try to remove the hazards.

:golisopod: - Golisopod is another decent choice, taking absolutely nothing from anything Barraskewda hits it with. Its potential spikes are also great for wearing Skewda down, and emergency exit being able to potentially negate a Flip Turn at the right moment can be sort of cool.

:barraskewda:Conclusions :barraskewda:

Barraskewda is a dangerous anti-offense Pokemon due to its fantastic speed tier + decent coverage. Gaining Flip Turn made it even better in these matchups, making it no longer dead-weight against stuff like Milotic/Rotom-W. Unfortunately it is rather a matchup fish Pokemon, water-immunities aren't uncommon, and in these matchups it provides no defensive utility and can be fairly dead weight. Great for individual games against people you know to be offense players, a bit unreliable for ladder imo though.

Last edited:

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hi there, ok, I didnt ladder as much as I would like but enought to test the three mons of this week, and I wanna say I enjoyed all of them, so here I let an explanation of all of them

Indeedee
:ss/indeedee:

Low Ladder:
Before Expanding Force was free, this mon was limited with Psychic and Psyshock as stab moves boosted by terrain, but Expanding Force is a big boost on this mon, I used it on low ladder on screens and it is a truly beast with CM and screens support, also Psychc Terrain avoids FI users to rk like Golisopod, also Psychic Terrain gives support to the rest of the team (not as good as Grassy Terrain Rillaboom but still decent), also good speed tier on 95 allows to outspeed a good porcentage of the metagame, also a Psychic+Normal+Fire coverage is difficult to switch in. About good teammates, one that really enjoys Terrain is Necrozma (another boost for an already op Mon) not only making it inmune to First Imprission, also boosting the bp of Photon Geyser claiming even more KO's, other good teammate tht I tried was Specs Gardevoir on a more balanced build, but is a little bit more difficult to work, but Specs Expanding Force Gardevoir is difficult to switch.
:ss/Necrozma:
As I said, Necrozma benefits on Psychic Terrain and also the abiity of Indeedee to chip Necrozma's checks like Incineroar, Doublade and Pangoro, Dragon Dance works pretty good, CM also works good but I preffered DD to have a physical Terrain abuser

:ss/Gardevoir:
Specs and Scarf on Terrain with Expanding Force is difficult to switch, however with the rise on usage on Copperjah is kind of difficult to use Gardevoir with Indedee but despite that, Terrain makes gardevoir a good breaker/cleaner.

:ss/Gallade:
Ok, this one is more like a nich or gimmick pick, but is another good physical abuser of terrain, and compared to Necrozma can make use of a Choice Band to put direct pressure on the opposite team.
Replays and Team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1138157797-vutut2nh0lntjvtc36aapkd27rl3gfkpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1138172514-k8n6b66kky2zad4lr26ybuqyslkj6o6pw

https://pokepast.es/08277b0c66a26d62

Barraskewda
:ss/barraskewda:
About this one, I already made some builds with this guy running Flip Turn, and it is a good non scarfer speed control, and with the adition of Flip Turn can do this role even better, but with the decision to drop one of it's good coverages, I used Liquidation+Ice Fang+Close Combat +Flip Turn, paired with a grass types to check water absorb mons and Gastrodon
Middle-Hight Ladder:
This guy is easily paired with other Volt Switch/U Turn users, I find Rilaboom, Toxtricity and Wastom specially better than others, since they make a really good core with Barraskeda, Rilaboom can check Bulky waters and aprecciates Barraskeda ability to outspeed an KO Noivern with Ice Fang, Toxtricity can pressure on grass types and water types, and Barraskewda can deal with Rhypherior (most common Toxtricity check) and steel types with Close Combat, wastom even if it is other water type, can start making chip damage against neutral targets with barraskeda, Barraskeda paired with Spikes from Roserade is pretty good on a late game.
I really enjoyed Barraskeda + Darmanitan/SD Incineroar + Roserade/Rillaboom/Tsareena since its a good offensive core, and also pivots and chips pretty easy. Also I used a different ev spread, with enought speed to keep outspeeding all the non-scarf meta and the rest in attack and defense, those defense evs helps against other barraskedas (since they drop their defense with CC allowing my own barraskeda to take the hit and ko in return), priority users and against some physical scarfers.

Replays and Team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1139138178-kn3a74ssy38cttywo5lesdivwogvzz5pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1139147024-gf1xelxs1348fhf65rg9il68jixq3yppw

https://pokepast.es/c71d157cab9735aa

Scyther
:ss/scyther:

Middle-Hight Ladder:
Tbh it was for me pretty bad, but resulted to be pretty good, it has good ofensive tools and a really good speed tier, it is the stab U-Turn mon that I was waiting for long time lol (waiting for Scizor dropping on few days e.e), works really good with mons to check Noivern and Cobalion/Keldeo, that are the most common mons on the meta capable of revenge kill Scyther (despite scarf users), also Scyther can work as a regenge killer, or SD and then U-Turn agaisnt common switchs like Wastom, Incineroar and rock types, I used standar set on SD+Dual Wingbeat+Knock Off+U-Turn, but this guy has a good movepool to chose, can also make a support role with Defog or even Roost on a more bulky variant, also decent boosted priority on Quick Attack. However, this mon is pretty limited on Item selection, like Scizor it has a good movepool to run a Choice Band Variant or even scarf, however that -50% from rocks damage make that items pretty useless if you dont have the right Hazard Control, and eviolite doesnt offers a lot, so HDB is by far the best item for Scyther, and like Barraskewda can make a good Volt-Turn core between other mons, really cool mon saved by the introduction of Heavy Duty Boots :)

Replays and Team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1139885919-ww8rq48bxvqpeirswnyvwvrr2e6qyj3pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1139889591-o45vg4retlyicn4jvqphdbde6soumvvpw

https://pokepast.es/70c47dfc1291cc9e

Conclusions
Indedee gives support to the team and can act as a set up sweeper with the new boosted stab move Expanding Force, and even chip some of its checks for his teammates on a late game, pretty good mon imo.

Barraskewda was decent before flip turn release, and now is even better capable to chip some of its checks and capable to outspeed all the non-scarf metagame and rk some of the most common mons in the metagame.
Scyther has a really good speed tier and ability to rk slower threats, with the new move dual wingbeat you get a 120 bp stab move, taking advantage on the flying resistance on the metagame and U-Turn them.

Last edited:
UU Research Week 14: Flip Turn Barraskewda

skewdaskewda.png

Introduction: The addition of Flip Turn for the barracuda fish made me excited to try out mainly because I play volt-turn offense exclusively. Sure the base power leaves more to be desired, but a new toy is meant to at least be played with, even if for a week. I've tried banded, scarfed, eject button, and mystic water sets, with varying degrees of success which I'll document below. Overall I struggled to ladder, like trying to learn how to ride a bicycle for the first time again.

Team 1: Voip-Turn Offense (yeah couldn't resist coming up with a new name for this kind of offense)

This team sort of follows the basic template for my team building approach. Get rocks up, pivot, break stuff down, pivot, eww get your hazards outta here, pivot, clean up by turn 25 if all goes well. The core to lookout for was mainly barra, galvantula, and the new porygon 2 and let me say this team was probably my favorite on the account of teleport being borked lol. My favorite replay of this team in action kinda exemplifies the above.

Team 2: Manual Rain really didn't see much success. Barraskewda simply misses auto-rain. Lo and behold it didn't stop me from building this janky team with 2 rain setters and several breakers similar to above team. This leaned toward more of an HO build as it forgoes hazard control and hazards altogether. Sure it had its moments but was stonewalled by Mantine, Umbreon, and Jellicent if Heliolisk and Toxicroak are out of the picture. Perhaps it's the user behind the keyboard and chair, but alas I figure some of you will agree that Barraskewda has trouble pulling its own weight as Estarossa eluded to above. Here's the best replay I could find.

Team 3: Flipport Offense by now you can see a common trend among the teams- barraskewda + teleport porygon 2 are a balanced part of this complete breakfast. As barraskewda really can't take hits on its own (this was the main issue I had with it by the way), porygon 2 is able to defensively pivot for it and get back in safely if need be. This team's goal was to apply pressure with T-Spikes against fat teams, hit the Misty Explosion button if enough was in the tank, and break from there. Celebi is a great partner to help break bulky waters while Eject Button budget Urshifu for unexpected wtf'ery. In hindsight, misty terrain and toxic spikes was a terrible idea, but at the same time clicking Misty Explosion under Misty terrain seemed like a good idea at the time. This replay shows Barraskewda's lethality in the late game.

Conclusion: The alt I made peaked up to 1307 and quickly went down hill after trying even more unorthodox teams and downright poorly built squads, but that's part of the fun I suppose. Overall, Barraskewda isn't bad in the current late June meta and still has potential to raise its viability ceiling. As my verdict sits, the addition of flip turn to its movepool allows it to hit n' run functionally, but at the cost of leaning on defensive pivots to take its hits, and has a place on volt-turn offense. In sum, I give it a 6/10 kind of high risk, high reward utility.

Edit 1: Luirromen's second replay above is a great example of how it should be used. Great team composition!

Spanks for reading!

Last edited:
UU Research Week: Flip Turn Barraskewda

View attachment 258365
Introduction: The addition of Flip Turn for the barracuda fish made me excited to try out mainly because I play volt-turn offense exclusively. Sure the base power leaves more to be desired, but a new toy is meant to at least be played with, even if for a week. I've tried banded, scarfed, eject button, and mystic water sets, with varying degrees of success which I'll document below. Overall I struggled to ladder, like trying to learn how to ride a bicycle for the first time again.

Team 1: Voip-Turn Offense (yeah couldn't resist coming up with a new name for this kind of offense)

This team sort of follows the basic template for my team building approach. Get rocks up, pivot, break stuff down, pivot, eww get your hazards outta here, pivot, clean up by turn 25 if all goes well. The core to lookout for was mainly barra, galvantula, and the new porygon 2 and let me say this team was probably my favorite on the account of teleport being borked lol. My favorite replay of this team in action kinda exemplifies the above.

Team 2: Manual Rain really didn't see much success. Barraskewda simply misses auto-rain. Lo and behold it didn't stop me from building this janky team with 2 rain setters and several breakers similar to above team. This leaned toward more of an HO build as it forgoes hazard control and hazards altogether. Sure it had its moments but was stonewalled by Mantine, Umbreon, and Jellicent if Heliolisk and Toxicroak are out of the picture. Perhaps it's the user behind the keyboard and chair, but alas I figure some of you will agree that Barraskewda has trouble pulling its own weight as Estarossa eluded to above. Here's the best replay I could find.

Team 3: Flipport Offense by now you can see a common trend among the teams- barraskewda + teleport porygon 2 are a balanced part of this complete breakfast. As barraskewda really can't take hits on its own (this was the main issue I had with it by the way), porygon 2 is able to defensively pivot for it and get back in safely if need be. This team's goal was to apply pressure with T-Spikes against fight teams, hit the Misty Explosion button if enough was in the tank, and break from there. Celebi is a great partner to help break bulky waters while Eject Button budget Urshifu for unexpected wtf'ery. In hindsight, misty terrain and toxic spikes was a terrible idea, but at the same time clicking Misty Explosion under Misty terrain seemed like a good idea at the time. This replay shows Barraskewda's lethality in the late game.

Conclusion: The alt I made peaked up to 1307 and quickly went down hill after trying even more unorthodox teams and downright poorly built squads, but that's part of the fun I suppose. Overall, Barraskewda isn't bad in the current late June meta and still has potential to raise its viability ceiling. As my verdict sits, the addition of flip turn to its movepool allows it to hit n' run functionally, but at the cost of leaning on defensive pivots to take its hits, and has a place on volt-turn offense. In sum, I give it a 6/10 kind of high risk, high reward utility.

Edit 1: Luirromen's second replay above is a great example of how it should be used. Great team composition!

Spanks for reading!
about your last team: misty terrain prevents toxic spikes from poisoning opponents, just a quick thought

Apologies again for our silence but due to these shifts it certainly caused a big change in the meta, as what we knew has completely changed due to all the drops. But after much discussing we decided to come back now with some of the new drops! Our winner for the previous weeks winner is KSt3ve! Congratulations!

Indeedee was mainly researched by Luirromen and it got pretty good reviews. While it was only used low ladder on screens, the boost in power Expanding Force gives made Indeedee much more of a threat then when Psychic or Psyshock were its only STAB options. Along with that, it's coverage in Normal+Psychic+Fire makes it hard to switch into, especially if boosted by Calm Mind. It also provides urility in blocking priority such as First Impression. It also acts as a good partner to Necrozma or Gardevoir, which appreciate having their psychic STABs boosted and also being immune to priority.

Barraskewda was next and it was the big winner of the week. Flip Turn allowed it to be even more of a menace against offensive teams. It easily fits onto volt-turn teams as a good way to be speed control without needing a scarfer. It's speed is unmatched, outspeeding most pokemon in the tier including noivern. It has great coverage in Ice Fang and Close Combat which let's it hit a lot of pokemon that may try to switch into it. Acording to Estarossa it is a fairly dead weight slot against balances though, due to them more commonly having pokemon such as Gastrodon, Vaporeon, and Jellicent that are immune to Barraskewda's water attacks. Codsauce explored some more unorthadoxed teams such as Manual Rain, but it was easily walled by many mons such as the ones listed above making it much harder to use.

Scyther has mixed reviews from our researchers. Estarossa notes how Scyther thrives off the lack of good flying resists, Copperajah and Rhyperior being our best. They both can be easily worn down by Knock Off or U-turn. However it does have some natural weaknesses such as its natural speed being lower than Keldeo and Cobalion. Another point is that as a bug type it struggles to beat pokemon such as Reuniclus or Necrozma. While it has it's weaknesses and needs decent team support, it's proved to be a viable pokemon.

We have another three pokemon week given all our new drops so let's get right into week 15!

:ss/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs:
any Nature
- Stealth Rock
-
-
-

:ss/Jirachi:
Jirachi @
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs:
any Nature
-Calm Mind
-
-
-

:ss/Seismitoad:
Seismitoad @
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs:
any Nature
-
-
-
-

Tyranitar is our first choice of the week! Finally it dropped from OU and it immediately makes a big difference in the UU meta. Having a Rock/Dark typing gives it very valuable resistances, but that makes it weak to our many viable fighting types. It has a very wide movepool that gives it many options as a rocker, both offensive and defensive. How will it preform?

Jirachi is our second pick! Calm Mind has been a set that hasn't been explored too much but with great coverage options such as Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, and Thunderbolt, along with its general STABs it has lots of potential as a setup mon as it can break past a lot of what could commonly check it. With very customizable base stats, how will it preform?

Seismitoad is our last pick, which we haven't seen explored or discussed much at all. It's a water/ground rocker with Water Absorb, making it something that could be a very valuable asset to offensive teams. Though having very mediocore offensive stats, will it be too passive to be considered over our other rockers?

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW15 Daiyaga or SSRW15 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on Friday, July 10th at 11:59 PM GMT-6. Have fun everyone!!

Last edited:
k guess I'm double posting but whatevs, played 50ish games with these two teams (mostly the second) and managed to crack top 25 which proved to me that the research mons were good though that's hardly surprising with cm rachi and t-tar.

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 19.24.55.png

https://pokepast.es/789c58daec41b76c

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 19.24.37.png

https://pokepast.es/dcd92f9b3b2005d3

Jirachi

First team was alright (actually v similar mons to the recent sample team coincidentally tho different roles) but I don't really enjoy running any fat mons in the current meta. That jirachi set is a good stall breaker but I found it to be fairly dead weight against offence as uninvested base 100 with 80 BP stab is not good before you start boosting a bunch. Being immune to toxic and being able to get past mantine and quag carves it out a pretty good niche as a stall breaker. I also ran max SpA e-belt on the team and tossed the stall match up and while it was better against offence, still lacklustre initial power in combination of how easy it is to revenge makes it not that impressive a sweeper or breaker imo. I have seen sub run on my time on ladder but I feel like that you don't do as well against stall (gotta pick between to ww skarm/haze mantine or quag). Can be good against some teams but not worth running as it doesn't feel strong against any general archetype imo. T-spikes support made sense in my head to wear down dark types and bulky shit but wasn't that useful in practice really (boycott hd boots petition).

Power herb meteor beam jirachi with webs support on the other hand oml, thought this was gonna be gimmicky af but it actually sweeps, puts krook, skarm (with rocks) and tar in range of aura sphere, merks incineroar, noivern and mantine and really helps against psychics that don't care about psy/fight coverage. Webs does really help as now krook and ponies can't revenge but even when they're not up, meteor beam is strong enough to easily ensure a kill even if you can't sweep.

T-tar

First set was kinda funny in theory, iron defense on switch to terrak, cobal or krook, take 30% and OHKO in return. Also in theory did well against skarm if they're not running body press or whirlwind but in reality they pm always are. In reality this wasn't that easy to pull off, I'd find myself not being able to avoid getting knocked or toxiced to get in and often you just wanna get rocks up and save your hp for later. Fun gimmick but not as good as other sets unless you're looking for a fat lure mon.

Second set was much more useful particularly in how it synergised with the rest of the team. Generally you can lead with it, t-wave, and then pick whether you wanna pick up a kill or set your rocks and sometimes you'll even get both if they fully para or if they choose to set their own rocks. Didn't find myself missing stone edge that much and t-wave just has so many good targets. Would defo recommend this set also, one of its best sets alongside CB imo.

Conclusion

CM rachi without meteor beam is a fine special attacker, good bulk and coverage/tech options that I haven't even mentioned yet, shadow ball, thunder with it's 60% para chance u-turn or even iron head if you're feeling extra scummy and want more lefties (espesh with sand support). Meteor beam really takes it up a level imo. Still not as dangerous a sweeper as terak or necrozma but v good and the bulk and steel typing does carry weight for sure.

SR t-tar actually has much fewer options I found; you pick sash or chople and then your STAB (or two) and fighting coverage and t-wave if you have room. It is still very good though and fills a very good niche for teams that want a reliable rocker with 400 atk but that still is fast enough to outrun stuff like skarm and mantine but also has a good bit of bulk.

edit: bonus discoveries in research, webs vikavolt is gospel in a krook heavy meta, av mienshao (has been mentioned before but deserves another) is an underrated pivot and the pede is defo broke pls ban

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Hi! I tested Seismitoad. It's actually pretty solid, from the games I've done.

Seismitoad @ Expert Belt
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Power Whip

This is the set I tested. It's a physically offensive set that can slap Water-types like Rotom-W and Slowking real hard. It's quite a menace to deal with for teams that lack Galarian Weezing or Skarmory, and with team support, both of those Pokemon can be taken advantage of quite well. If you want, you could run a mixed set with Hydro Pump over Liquidation to hit those Pokemon harder. The Speed EVs are for adamant Tyranitar.

This set fits best on offensive teams, because Seismitoad fits best as an offensive rocker I've found. The following is the team I used:
Seismitoad @ Expert Belt
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Power Whip

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Flip Turn

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- U-turn

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Seismitoad fits quite well with pivots (like Blissey) that can bring it in against the Pokemon (like Crawdaunt) that it can threaten. I've found that this Pokemon acts somewhat like Mamoswine in that it usually just fires off attacks, but can set rocks when needed. For this reason I think a 4 attacks set with Ice Punch for Noivern might be viable too. I haven't tested that, though.

Here are some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1147033819 - Seismitoad power whips a Seismitoad and is just overall useful to block Thunder Wave

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1147010365 - Seismitoad is still useful to beat Rotom-W with a physical set, and slaps around some stuff offensively.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1147001667 - Sometimes Rotom-W tries to come in on Seismitoad anyway. Those are fun times.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1146984345 - somehow this thing was integral to me beating sun lol

tl;dr seis is a gerat offensive rocker and y'all should use it. Try other sets. It's got a very wide offensive pool. Could see Ice Punch, Sludge Bomb, Knock Off, etc.

well to be fair its kind of hard to ladder with an alt if I never change from my main :facepalm: Good thing I do these not to win but to have fun!

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide (if you're a coward)
- Fire Blast

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to use the other 2, but I did get a chance to use Tyranitar. Ttar running a rocks set is both good and bad depending on what you're facing. It beats some common stuff like Skamory (if you run GOAT fire blast anyways), but really falters vs stuff like Rotom Wash or Weezing-G. I do wanna go really in-depth with this post since I only got to really use TTar. The set was originally by Twilight (I swear I advertise for him so much I should be getting ad revenue), but I gave up a chunk of Spdef for the ability to outrun/tie Mantine and 0 speed Skarmory. I did also try a few other (notably terrible) variants of Rocks Ttar, such as Snarl and Offensive Specially-Based Ttar. These were actually awful, do not use these. Pretty sure Estarossa's weird gen7 phase during the Venu meta might've actually been better.

Anyways, Ttar has some really cool things about it, specifically about the Stealth Rock set we tested this week. It has a decent matchup vs Skarmory, and can be played like BandTar to keep Weezing out of the way. Being so fat Specially is also very helpful with stuff like NP Celebi, Noivern, CM Jirachi, and others running around. The fact that it has a useable special attack stat with great coverage is SO helpful on getting rocks up and even keeping the opponent from getting theirs up, i.e. melting Coba on the switch. Being able to outrun common defoggers as well is also pretty helpful, especially when you can threaten them from Defogging, or lure them into a false sense of Security. These are attributes I've noticed Ttar has with it's rocks set.

However, Ttar REALLY struggles vs Rotom Wash and Weezing G, once it's discovered you aren't offensive. And the fact that we're potentially freeing Mamoswine isn't any help. Tyranitar itself is a decent rocker, but the metagame around it isn't very welcoming at the moment. The fact that it's so slow and there are so many fighting types that can outright KO ttar through Chople, as well as common defoggers that matchup VERY well vs ttar make me think that Ttar is probably overall not that great of a rocker in the current metagame. Give it a couple of months, and maybe we'll see rocks ttar be godly, but for right now I dont think it's that great due to the metagame around it, not so much Ttar itself.

tl;dr - Not terrible rocker, not very good due to metagame around it. 5/10

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
:bw/jirachi:
future nostalgia (Jirachi) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Aura Sphere

MORNING LIGHT (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Aura Sphere
- Wish

chasing thunder (Jirachi) @ Electric Seed
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Aura Sphere
Didn't really ladder this week but I still found CM rachi fun to use on a team from Estarossa . For CM Jirachi it can be unfortunate not providing paras or chip with flinches like Scarf or Defensive Lefties or just Stealth Rock. However, CM could still come in handy for breaking cores with it's pseudo mixed coverage with Psyshock. As spuds mentioned, having the Toxic immunity was a nice bonus to set it apart from Necrozma. Psyshock and Aura Sphere already cover a lot and made Wish a pretty nice last slot. It made jirachi less of a dedicated win con and could be used throughout the game more; without boosts it hit like a wet noodle and revealed the special set early. Naturally, Leftovers helped with setting up on more passive mons and when eating hits with CM boost + WIsh. Though, 3 attacks was still interesting despite not getting a final team I really liked. A resist berry like Colbur proved the most useful since you could aggressively bluff scarf early on and better check mons like Mienshao and Lycanroc. Shuca could be played the same but dark coverage seemed more useful typically, definitely an option for teams with Grass Knot for a better Ground-type matchup. I stuck with Psyshock and Aura Sphere since they hit the most regularly with the final attack being Thunder. Thunderbolt did not always feel very useful being close to Aura Sphere in power, and warranted going the extra umph with Thunder. With Thunder, Serene Grace is not wasted as well, being about 50/50 between landing Thunder and getting the para. Thunder paras could come in handy for Jirachi pulling off a sweep late game or helping another teammate break easier. Not really the best pick over Necrozma on Electric Terrain too. Overall, a pretty solid pick to build around with its coverage but very rarely will you get a squad think CM Jirachi would fit better over another boosting Psychic-type.

Last edited:

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hi there, at the end I picked all mons, and I found alll of them pretty good, specially Tyranitar, since I see it very splashable as a Stealth Rock setter on the tier

Calm Mind Jirachi
:ss/Jirachi:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 204 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Aura Sphere
- Stored Power

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt/Thunder/Energy Ball

To be honest, CM Jirachi is not my favorite set but still being pretty cool, I spammed it at low and middle ladder, on screens and a more bulky build
Low-Middle Ladder:
As a tradition, I always build an HO using at least one of the mons of the research week, and CM+Iron Defense+ Stored Power was PREETTTY FUNNY to use, and resulted to work pretty well, I spammed this while Aegislash (one of the best answers to this set) was available, and behind screens and some set ups Aegislash was bad against this Jirachi, is like a tiny Necrozma with Steel typing, on screens you find a lot of opportunities to set up, and the boost from Iron Defense not only makes jirachi more difficult to rk, also boost by 40 tho base power of Stored Power, Leftovers is preffered since it allows you to set up against walls like blissey with more ease, and you use any of bot set up moves depending on the situation, evs allow you to keep outspeeding Jolly Krookodile and have as many bulk as you can have to tank more hits behind screens, there is not much difference between run 252 SpA, you will always need at least 3 CM to 2HKO Blissey.
Now about the other set, that one also works on screens but it has more variety of moves, Psyshock over Psychic to touch blissey, Aura Sphere for Dark types, and last slot depends of what you want, all of them helps against bulky waters but they have difference, Tbolt helps to deal with Haze Mantine, Thunder is an stronger-less accurate option that also has a 60% to Paralyze thanks to Serene Grace, Energy Balls allows you to pass throught Gastrodon and Quagsire.
In general I enjoyed this set, but for me is not my favorite one, I preffer Wish pivot or Rocks
Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1144740809-esshhf4ucj80zsdi1gri07oyqvxxvt4pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1144745386-20ywjant8qkwoxk8gr4x6iqvnbpnc0qpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1144979455-krijsec31elwtnpwcmta1o1mwypurszpw

Stealth Rock Tyranitar
:ss/tyranitar:

About Tyranitar.... bro I tought Ttar would be mediocre even here in UU since almost 1/4 of the tiers is a Fighting type, but I was completely wrong, this thing is veeeery splashable on a team running Stealth Rock, and pairs pretty well with a lot of mons
Middle-Hight Ladder
Bro, the support tyranitar bring to the team is pretty valuable, and with Conk (and Terrak looking ban whorty) banned, it is even better, its a good answer to most of the special attackers of the tier, and has a good movepool choice to support, from T-Wave, Dragon Tail, Taunt, Toxic, Roar, I found a lot of good cores with this guy, and makes a Hazard Stack core with Skarmory, providing spikes and an answer to Ground/Fightyng types for Tyranitar, in return Tyanitar checks Fire type moves and also electric ones since all electric types are special attackers, paired with Wish Jirachi now you have a more consistent check to special attackers and rocks for mid games, the offensive tools it has are also very versatile, but I find Crunch + Fire Blast + Supepower as the best options, Crunch for viable Dark Type Stab to punnish Psychic/Ghost ypes, Fire Blast to lure Skarmory and other steel types and also dealing a decent damage to G-Weezing, and Superpower for Krookodile, Terrakion and other Ttars, Heavy Slam is also good for Sylveon and G-Weezing, Stone Edge as a rock type stab is pretty good in general, also rare T-Punch could work for Keldeo. Anyways, in general this mon is amazing
Replays:
Im gonna recycle some of this replays for Seismitoad since I used both Ttar and Seismitoad on the same team https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1145071709-7wx9muv4qvjdzflfkpioiwipkdv0sxgpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1145506952-8lx0ydv2ez7nfg0vwzigbq4p2xx9ipmpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1147469670-yqicjunb29qy41nkjsncsjslwcgr1w5pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1145497343-8e9ikwtzh9juib7uggu3mxqydfpml45pw

Seismitoad
:ss/seismitoad:

First thing first, I hate all of you for limit Jirachi and Ttar sets, since they can be pretty versatile and just let Seismitoad without an specific set :puff:
Anyways, I tried SR since is probably the best set that it could run, however I wanted to test with other variants, taking as an advantage how bad is Noivern actually with the introduction of Blissey, Jirachi and Ttar to the tier, I also tried a Sub Toxic set paired with rocks Ttar
Middle Ladder:
Honestly, I dont find Seismitoad as a bad pokemon but also is not the best one, is like a Gastrodon without reliable recovery but with acces to rocks and Knock Off, anyways, rocks has good support moves to pair like Toxic and Knock Off, sadly Seismitoad this generation lost Refresh, being more susceptible to Toxic, also hates losing Leftovers via Trick/Knock Off. Sub Toxic resulted to be good against more pasive teams, and also annoying for balanced ones, since seismi can come on other bulky waters, sub and then Toxic, acting a bit like an stallbreaker, and Poison/Steel types dont wanna stay in fearing a Ground type move, Seismitad base speed is also good for a defensive mon, base 74 outspeed a good amount of defensive pivots, I decided to give 144 evs on speed to achieve 220 speed, this allows to outspeed non speed invested Skarmory/Mantine and 252 speed without +Speed nature 60 base mons, like Incineroar and Sylveon, you could also run 152 speed to outspeed adamant 252 speed Tyranitar, the rest on max HP and Defense. Probably my less favorite one from the 3 mons of the week, but stills being pretty cool and has a good niche.
Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1145506952-8lx0ydv2ez7nfg0vwzigbq4p2xx9ipmpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1145071709-7wx9muv4qvjdzflfkpioiwipkdv0sxgpw

Btw, no teams today since I need them for the UU Open hehe.

(I'm using my little free time to do this)

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Sr ttar is pretty average, the number of fight type in the third is not very good for him, because they can come on it easily without fearing when they do. I decided to play a support set with twave to help my team win behind. Fire blast is a good lure for cobal and skarm. I decided to go on a full spdef set with lefto to be able to rotate on special threats of the third:
DMG CALC ON TTAR​

252 SpA Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 84-100 (20.7 - 24.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 126-148 (31.1 - 36.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Noivern is wall by ttar, you can twave him + put your sr

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 142-168 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- 77% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 102-121 (25.2 - 29.9%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Choice specs Kyurem is a big threat, ttar can tank 2 Dm and will fall. No Choice Specs Kyurem isn't such a big threat, ttar can come over more times, put rocks, thanks to the leftovers.

252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 154-182 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Choice Specs and choice scarf chandelure are wall by ttar. On the other hand, ttar must beware of 2 things: trick and the set sub + toxic, which can kill ttar by itself.

252 SpA Necrozma Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 94-112 (23.2 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Necrozma Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 140-166 (34.6 - 41%) -- 64.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Only this ttar set can afford to completely stop one of the most dangerous sweeper sets of the tier. On the other hand, for Necrozma's dd set, it's another story ...
(+1 252 Atk Necrozma Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 262-310 (64.8 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
and ttar does : 4 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 163-195 (48.6 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage)

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 65-77 (16 - 19%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 109-129 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 39.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Again, ttar is a very good Special Wall and can literally block special breaker like Porygon.

252 SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Toxtricity Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 111-133 (27.4 - 32.9%) -- 68.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Toxtricity Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 76-90 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Punk Rock Toxtricity Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 122-146 (30.1 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ttar is an okay check against choice specs toxtricity. On the other hand, the set sg loses to ttar Spdef.

Ttar just f*** this shit, break his sash sand and ohko him with crunch
Do I really need to show the calc ... ?
(+2 252 SpA Polteageist Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 184-218 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 340-400 (84.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not really a check ... but it tank well dm / Sludge Bomb, so it's 50/50 with ttar or your fairy type

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

GOAT jirachi is back. I use an old DPP set with wish + cm. By utilizing Calm Mind and Wish on the same set, Jirachi can act as both a sweeper and a supporter. This set is a nightmare for stall team as jirachi is able to heal himself and click cm. 32 in speed is for max speed ttar, but you can run a spread : 252 HP / 160 Def / 32 Spe to outspeed modest chandelure, modest gardevoir, modest/ada Necrozma ...
I prefer to use a very bulky set of jirachi to be able to better heal my pokemons with wish, but also to better tanker the blows on the physique.

DMG CALC ON Jirachi​

252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jirachi: 112-133 (27.7 - 32.9%) -- 81.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Cobal does nothing to jirachi, you can just cm + wish on his face, but beware of twave !

0 SpA Jirachi Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 127-151 (39.3 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Jirachi Psychic vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 190-225 (58.8 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 294-348 (72.7 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Earth Power vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 196-232 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 45.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Earth Power vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 148-176 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, jirachi CAN'T win a 1v1 against choice specs kyurem even if you cm on the switch !
100 - 52 (average damage after one cm) + 6 = 54% -> then you wish (43.8% chance to OHKO ) and cm (you have almost 60% after lefto)
60 - 39 (average damage after two cm) + 6 = 27% -> you can't wish again and you take 29.2 - 34.6% form earth power if you cm again

0 SpA Jirachi Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem: 106-126 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 0 SpA Jirachi Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem: 159-187 (40.6 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Noivern Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Noivern Flamethrower vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 108-128 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Flamethrower vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Choice specs can be a issue, you can't win a 1v1 against specs noivern, but you can set up on no specs noivern
100 - 43 (average damage) + 6 = 63 % -> you cm
63 - 29 (average damage after one cm) + 6 = 40 % -> you wish and noivern can't kill you

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jirachi: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jirachi: 318-376 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jirachi: 413-489 (102.2 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Terrakion can't ohko jirachi, unless lo + sd.

0 SpA Jirachi Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 212-252 (65.6 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jirachi: 210-248 (51.9 - 61.3%) (24.2 - 24.2% recoil damage) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Jirachi Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Talonflame: 174-206 (58.5 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 196-231 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jirachi: 87-103 (21.5 - 25.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Jirachi Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 148-176 (56.7 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

can really set up on lo starmie, but you can on an utility set.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Jirachi: 260-307 (64.3 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Jirachi Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sharpedo: 260-308 (92.5 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

i can continue to show you how powerfull this set is, but i'm gonna stop here !

Bold cm + wish Jirachi is a amazing wincond / healer. It can solo win against an unprepared team
Spdef TTar twave + sr mixed is a good rocker / Spdef wall

Capture.PNG

Hey everyone! We had quite an eventful week with a lot of people writing back. The new drops changed the meta quite a bit so let's look into the results of our first dive into it! The winner of this week was spuds4ever! Congratulations!

Stealth Rock Tyranitar was our first pick and the general consensus was its average. Being a Rock/Dark in a meta infested with fighting types makes it harder to pull off as without a chople berry Tyranitar easily gets KO'd. Its strengths come in its coverage though; having many useful moves such as Superpower, Fire Blast, Thunder Wave, Heavy Slam, or Thunder Punch depending on what you want to hit. It also has great special bulk due to sandstorm, letting it be able to blanket check a lot of prominent special attackers. It fills a useful niche that no other pokemon could fill, but there may be better sets to use on it.

Jirachi was overall rated quite highly as a user of Calm Mind. It could run a variety of sets using Calm Mind, such as: Calm Mind 3 attacks, Calm Mind+Iron Defense, and Calm Mind+Wish. Starting with CM + 3 attacks, it has a wide variety of coverage it can use. It has aura sphere to hit dark types, thunderbolt/thunder to hit waters along with the fact that Thunder uses serene grace, energy ball to hit mainly quagsire, and Psychic/Psyshock as its main STAB move. These many coverage choiced allow Jirachi to choose what it wants to beat, and makes it much harder to predict. Calm Mind+Wish makes Jirachi much less inclined to be a wincon, and allows it to provide much more support to the rest of its team. There is also the fact that it is able to heal itself rather than having to rely on leftovers. Calm Mind+Iron Defense is the most gimmicky of the sets, but does have potential in the right settings. Iron Defense allows Jirachi to set up on pokemon that otherwise could beat it, while boosting its main attack in stored power. Given that wish was typically not used, its reliance on leftovers made it much easier to chip down overall. This set worked best on screens team, though it has competition with Necrozma.

Seismitoad was rated decently for the people who tested it. A Cake Wearing A Hat tested a more offensive variant of Seismitoad using its new move Power Whip to be able hit water types that otherwise could check it. It works best as an offensive stealth rocker that can check pokemon such as Crawdaunt and Rotom-Wash, which otherwise can be quite annoying for offenses. Its best checks are Skarmory and Galarian Weezing, and Hydro Pump could be run over Liquidation to hit those better. Luirromen tested a more defensive set using its good utility such as knock off, but losing refresh makes it much more susceptible to toxic. Overall, Seismitoad is not the best mon but it does do well as a rocker.

Now with those out of the way, we are back to our usual two pokemon. Let's move right onto Week 16!

:ss/dragalge:
Dragalge @
Ability: Adaptibility
EVs:
any Nature
- Flip Turn
-
-
-

:ss/hatterene:
Hatterene @\
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs:
any Nature
-
-
-
-

Dragalge is our first pick of the week! It has a valuable new move in Flip Turn which allows it to be a slow pivot in the current UU meta. Along with the fact its Dragon/Poison typing allows it to check a lot of useful mons in the meta, how will this sea dragon preform?

Hatterene is another new addition to the tier! This pokemon has generally gone untested, and it has a lot of potential options in its movepool. With its ability magic bounce, and moves such as nuzzle, calm mind, trick room, and mystical fire. Will it be overshadowed by our current fairies in Sylveon and Gardevoir or will it be able to carve a niche for itself?

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW16 Daiyaga or SSRW16 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on Sunday July 19th at 11:59 PM GMT-6. Have fun everyone!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)