Resource SS UU Role Compendium [08/16/2022 update, see post #52]

I would like to request that Nihilego be added to Tspike setters and Xatu be added to Magic Bounce users, Screen Setters, and Teleport users due to some people using it as a screens setter. I would probably put it in parentheses, but thats just me. If there's stuff like Klefki on here, I see no reason for Xatu not to be.
Nihilego is gonna be added. For Xatu, unfortunately I can't rank it because Role Compendium and Speedlist are using Viability Ranking as ressource. Since Xatu has been unranked from the VR, it can't be featured in Role Compendium or Speedlist.
Not sure if it's just me, but Chansey isn't on the list as a special wall. It's ability to blanket check most special attacking threats is valuable, but not as valuable as it was before Crown Tundra. Regardless, I think it should be there. I also think it should be under the defensive pivot role; being one of two teleport users (arguably the worst one between Slowking and itself) is a good niche to have as of now.
It is already in it as you can check here, I think you saw this but it's only a big update I made after the release of the big DLC shifts.
I’d put cosmic power mew under the setup sweepers, it’s a viable choice that is super good and has taken the ladder by storm lately
Added !

wow, Heliolisk, Sylveon and Starmie Specs viable, is there a reason for these?
We can remove my post if i can't post here
The only reason they're included is because they can be seen sometimes with this set. Those are not their best sets for sure (much like Spikes on Diggersby or Stealth Rock on Lycanroc-Dusk). but still have a super small niche. Overall non of those Pokemon are even that good in the current metagame.

By the way don't worry, people can post without any issue here to ask questions about a Pokemon !

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
The only reason they're included is because they can be seen sometimes with this set. Those are not their best sets for sure (much like Spikes on Diggersby or Stealth Rock on Lycanroc-Dusk). but still have a super small niche. Overall non of those Pokemon are even that good in the current metagame.
oh nice, ty, i thought that Sylveon Specs was completely outclassed by prim (same with starmie)

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Spikes :

Rapid Spin :
Alolan Sandslash should go in both of these, it can run a viable lead set that I've personally had success with. It can also run Iron Head or Triple Axel over Steel Beam to deter Hatterene or Salamence.

While I wouldn't recommend running it, Conkeldurr and Blaziken both have access to Defog.

Aromatherapy & Heal Bell :
Ribombee and Polteageist both have access to Aromatherapy.

Teleport :
Not sure why Teleport has a section when U-turn, Flip Turn, Parting Shot and Volt Switch don't, but regardless, Starmie has access to Teleport. If these Pokemon are in the "Pivots" section, consider putting Teleport in there - dunno why you'd have Volcanion, Tapu Bulu and Doublade in the offensive pivots section if that's the case, though. May want to explain what the criteria for that actually is.

Wallbreakers
Physical :

Don't think I'd consider Linoone to be a wallbreaker. Could also extend this to maybe Mew and Necrozma but they have stronger cases for it at least.

Wallbreakers
Mixed :
This section looks bare. Here are some things you could include here:
Crawdaunt (Sludge Wave is an option to hit your main checks hard in Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu)
Jirachi (for obvious reasons)
Regieleki (Assurance, Rapid Spin?, Explosion)
Zeraora (Grass Knot)
Kyurem (Icicle Spear + Freeze-Dry)
Necrozma + Mew (I admittedly haven't tried these ones but in theory they can run whatever they want, something like a DD set with Heat Wave/Fire Blast to slam Steela is an option for example, not that Mew really needs to but you get the point)
Zygarde 10% (Sludge Wave again)
Galarian Slowbro (Shell Side Arm on AV sets)
Diancie (less of a pure breaker but Diamond Storm + Moonblast + Body Press is pain to switch into)
Toxtricity (Shift Gear + Drain Punch)

Entirely possible I've missed some, but there's a start.

Choice Scarf :
Toxtricity should be here if stuff like Kyurem and Indeedee are.

Agility / Autotomize / Rock Polish / Shift Gear :
Terrakion, Mew, Necrozma, Thundurus-T, Diggersby, Porygon-Z and possibly Kommo-o should all be here.

Bulk Up :
Grimmsnarl is the most obvious omission here but you could also include Blaziken, Mew, and even Krookodile as viable Bulk Up users.

Calm Mind :
Galarian Slowbro, Jirachi, and Alakazam should be here.

Cosmic Power :
Jirachi should be here.

Dragon Dance :
Crawdaunt and Zygarde 10% should be here.

Shell Smash :
Omastar should be here.

Swords Dance :
Rhyperior should be here.

Aqua Jet :
Kabutops and Crawdaunt should be here.

Extreme Speed :
Regieleki and Zygarde 10% should be here.

Ice Shard :
Alolan Sandslash should be here.

Fake Out :
Fake Out is top 10 unviable moves... but if we're really adding it to the list then Zeraora and Incineroar should be here.

Prankster :
Thundurus and Tornadus should be here.

Vacuum Wave :
Mew and Blaziken can also both viably use this attack.

Add Suicune and Tapu Bulu here. Suicune can handle its fair share of special attackers thanks to bulk and typing (Keldeo, for example) while Tapu Bulu can handle physical ones (Azumarill, Crawdaunt).
I'd imagine there's a bunch I'm missing in the walls section but it's so loose and I'm too tired to go through it all.

Pivots

Offensive :

Defensive :
Brought it up before but maybe make it more clear what "pivot" actually means here. It's clearly not "Volt Switch/U-turn/whatever else user" in the offensive section so it's kinda unclear what you mean, and I don't even know what's going on in the defensive one.

Trick Room users :
Add Slowking, Reuniclus and Mimikyu here.

Trick Room Sweepers :
Add Alolan Marowak here.

Swift Swim users :
Seismitoad and Kingdra should be here.

Other abusers :
Heliolisk, Volcanion, Gyarados, Salamence, and possibly even Noivern are Pokemon that should be here.

Other abusers :
Volcanion can go here again. Salazzle probably can too.

Thanks for all your work on this! :blobthumbsup:

Gonna second some of the thoughts in the above posts as well as offer some of my own suggestions
- remove from aromatherapy and heal bell. Alolan ninetales only fits as a screen setter, and unless there is some hidden tech I'm unaware of, I cant think of a time where I'd realistically use heal bell alolan ninetales.
- remove from physical wallbreakers. Yeah I cant think a scenario where I go for araquanid of all things as a wallbreaker. It sets webs, maybe spreads some toxic, gets nice chip, and dies, not a wall breaker you want to preserve throughout the game. Above post covers linoone well so not gonna dive into them too much.
- remove from calm mind. Yeah I'm being a bit nitty gritty with the stuff, but this doesn't make sense. Like cobailion is a mon that isn't that good in the metagame already but a calm mind set for it doesnt make sense. I just find it hard to viably pull off.
- all of these should go under mixed wallbreakers. They all have viable sets (Icicle spear+freeze dry, sludge wave, explosion, shift gear + drain punch) that can be used in the current metagame. Unsure about the other ones, but these are easily the ones that are clearly viable mixed breakers.
- add to rock polish/automize. I've seen it on HO and it works really well.
- add to CM, grassy seed glowbro is a new tech I've been trying out and its really nice.
- add to aqua jet
- add to shell smash
- agree to add these to prankster
- add to extreme speed
- add as trick room setters
- add as trick room sweepers
- add as swift swim abusers
Anyway a good amount of this is regurgitated info from the above post, but I still felt I should highlight the additions I agree with the most. Anyway, I'm also confused about the offensive/defensive pivot thing. Maybe even create a u-turn/volt switch/parting shot/flip turn section since there is a teleport one. If so, here are some things to add.
U-turn:

Volt Switch:

Parting Shot:

Flip turn:

Good work as always, hope to see some of these suggestions occur

Small thing I just noticed - Lycanrock-Dusk is listed under the priority users as having Sucker Punch, but it should be under its own heading for Accelerock as well.

Just noticed that there isn't a Drought section, is this intentional?
Added.
Small thing I just noticed - Lycanrock-Dusk is listed under the priority users as having Sucker Punch, but it should be under its own heading for Accelerock as well.
Added too.
Just think Primarina deserves a place on the Choice Scarf Users, while it’s not the best set, it has some potential and is getting some usage lately
I think Scarf Primarina is still quite a really small niche so for now, I'll not add it.

got some suggestions to improve the compendium, gonna be honest right out the gate most if not all are just cleaning it up. I'm personally a bit conservative in determining what Pokemon actually can fill that role, so if there looks to be quite literally zero reasoning for it to be there I recommend you just remove them. Also, there are some UR mons you missed so I'll point them out as well
- remove from defog, I get it can be a defogger but it is so not worth using as a defogger that I don't think it should be included there imo
- remove from aromatherapy and heal bell, none of these Pokemon use those moves in their niches in the current metagame so it wouldn't make sense to put them in that section if they don't do that (alolatales is only a screen setter, teapot is smasher, bee is webs and offenisve, rose is only really a spiker)
Also, change "Healing wish and lunar dance" to just "healing wish" considering cresselia is no longer ranked. Also remove
as I don't believe healing wish is good on it.

- remove from physical wall breakers. Araquanid is only really known as a webs setter, not breaking down walls. As for celesteela, physical sets haven't been experimented with enough for me to say that it is a physical wall breaker.
- remove from special wall breakers. Lucario isn't even ranked so IDK what's that doing there, plus roserade doesn't exactly come to mind as a special wall breaking option due to its inability to touch steels, it only really has a niche as a spiker and not a wallbreaker. Not attached to it though, so if you feel differently than feel free to keep it.
- remove from mixed wallbreakers. I don't think anyone recognizes that diance even is a wall breaker, it doesn't fit with the others.
- remove from calm mind and nasty plot respectively. Calm mind cobailion I have never seen and idk if its even a set, its certainly not viable at all. As for the latter, its unranked so it shouldn't be on there.
- remove from aqua jet and sucker punch cause its no longer ranked
- remove from ice shard because it is also no longer ranked.
- just nuke vacuum wave entirely cause lucario is unranked and mew doesn't even use it at all so there's no point keeping that section.
- remove from mixed walls, scizor can check some things defensively on the special end but wall isn't exactly what Iwould refer to it as.

That's it! Hope you take into account these suggestions, and good work as always.

scorbunnys

Don't dream your life, but live your dream. #Bunny
- remove from aromatherapy and heal bell, none of these Pokemon use those moves in their niches in the current metagame so it wouldn't make sense to put them in that section if they don't do that (alolatales is only a screen setter, teapot is smasher, bee is webs and offenisve, rose is only really a spiker)
I'm not an expert player or something like that, however, i do think that Bee Aromatherapy might have a use on Sticky Web sets (Sticky Web/Aromatherapy/Stun Spore/Moonblast), like, it's really really really niche and i'd wouldn't use it, i didn't test it even lol, i'm just trying to understating why is bee in that section (tbh theres a lot of rlly niche stuff).
Alotails Heal Bell might have a weird niche if u afford it over Hail, same case than bee tho.
Teapot and Roserade...uh yeah...remove them from that section...
- remove from special wall breakers. Lucario isn't even ranked so IDK what's that doing there, plus roserade doesn't exactly come to mind as a special wall breaking option due to its inability to touch steels, it only really has a niche as a spiker and not a wallbreaker. Not attached to it though, so if you feel differently than feel free to keep it.
Agree with this, but Roserade might be a ''sorta'' good special wallbreaker, with Spikes + Sludge Bomb + Grass stab it can worn down some pesky things and Spikes is just super good and about Lucario, well, theres rlly niche stuff in this role compendium so...

Edit:
Also remove
as I don't believe healing wish is good on it.
Ehhhh i dont see Chansey being a THAT bad Healing Wish user, it does keep some amount of momentum unlike...Wish for example, so imo it could be here.
- remove from mixed wallbreakers. I don't think anyone recognizes that diance even is a wall breaker, it doesn't fit with the others.
It isn't even good at all lol, but its prob on that category due to have a powerful dual stab + body press, being a neat offensive rocker at some extent.
- remove from physical wall breakers. Araquanid is only really known as a webs setter, not breaking down walls. As for celesteela, physical sets haven't been experimented with enough for me to say that it is a physical wall breaker.
While this is true, i could see Celesteela being ''decently'' good at this, prob for weird Flame Charge sets or something weird like that.

Tbh im just agree with all of your points, just wanted to let u know why think that they are here.

And the other points...uh why i would use CM Cobalion on this meta? LOL

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Update for Moutemoute or anyone who takes over this thread, I know this is hard to read but just try to keep two tabs open when you edit the OP? Not an exhaustive list by any means.

Remove:

SR user: Skarmory, Terrakion
Spikes: Skarmory
Toxic Spikes: Weezing Galarian, Roserade (both of these can be kept technically still ranked on VR at C+)
Defog: Conkeldurr (never uses Defog), Skarmory, Weezing Galarian (still C+)
Spinblocker: Doublade (add Aegislash), Pallosand
Aromatherapy and Heal Bell: Vileplume
Remove "Lunar Dance" since Cresselia isn't listed
Teleport: Alakazam, Slowking, and Magnezone (add Magneton?)
Physical wallbreakers: Bisharp, Terrakion, Zarude (not a breaker), Glastrier (not on viability ranking), Victini
Special: Alakazam, Victini, Magnezone
Mixed: Victini, Zygarde-10% (lol typo?),
Choice item user band: Victini, Terrakion,
Specs: Magnezone, Kyurem
Scarf: Victini, Magnezone, Kyurem, Terrakion
Rock Polish: Terrakion
Bulk Up: Zeraora
Calm Mind: Alakazam, Zeraora, Slowking
Dragon Dance: Kyurem
Swords Dance: Doublade (add Aegislash), Terrakion
Sucker Punch: Bisharp
Physically defensive walls: Slowking, Vileplume, Skarmory, Pallossand, Weezing Galarian
Mixed: Slowking
Offensive Pivot: Victini, Magnezone (add Magneton)
Defensive pivot: Mantine (why was it here?), Tentacruel (why was it here?), Gastrodon (why), Pallosand (unviable), Slowking, Seismitoad (why)
Trick room setter: Slowking
Rain team other abuser: Tapu Bulu (why)
Sun team other abuser: Victini

Add:

Spinblocker: Aegislash
Physical wall breaker: Azelf, Aegislash, Salamence
Special Wall breaker: Azelf, Aegislash, Salamence
Mixed wall breaker: Aegislash, Salamence
Choice Band: Aegislash, Azelf
Choice Specs: Aegislash, Azelf
Automize: Aegislash
Acid Armor: (Add iron defense and put Kommo-o)
Add Meteor Beam Section: Celesteela, Necrozma
Add Mach Punch: Conkeldurr
Shadow Sneak: Aegislash
Physically defensive wall: Umbreon, Salamence

Update for Moutemoute or anyone who takes over this thread, I know this is hard to read but just try to keep two tabs open when you edit the OP? Not an exhaustive list by any means.

Remove:

SR user: Skarmory, Terrakion
Spikes: Skarmory
Toxic Spikes: Weezing Galarian, Roserade (both of these can be kept technically still ranked on VR at C+)
Defog: Conkeldurr (never uses Defog), Skarmory, Weezing Galarian (still C+)
Spinblocker: Doublade (add Aegislash), Pallosand
Aromatherapy and Heal Bell: Vileplume
Remove "Lunar Dance" since Cresselia isn't listed
Teleport: Alakazam, Slowking, and Magnezone (add Magneton?)
Physical wallbreakers: Bisharp, Terrakion, Zarude (not a breaker), Glastrier (not on viability ranking), Victini
Special: Alakazam, Victini, Magnezone
Mixed: Victini, Zygarde-10% (lol typo?),
Choice item user band: Victini, Terrakion,
Specs: Magnezone, Kyurem
Scarf: Victini, Magnezone, Kyurem, Terrakion
Rock Polish: Terrakion
Bulk Up: Zeraora
Calm Mind: Alakazam, Zeraora, Slowking
Dragon Dance: Kyurem
Swords Dance: Doublade (add Aegislash), Terrakion
Sucker Punch: Bisharp
Physically defensive walls: Slowking, Vileplume, Skarmory, Pallossand, Weezing Galarian
Mixed: Slowking
Offensive Pivot: Victini, Magnezone (add Magneton)
Defensive pivot: Mantine (why was it here?), Tentacruel (why was it here?), Gastrodon (why), Pallosand (unviable), Slowking, Seismitoad (why)
Trick room setter: Slowking
Rain team other abuser: Tapu Bulu (why)
Sun team other abuser: Victini

Add:

Spinblocker: Aegislash
Physical wall breaker: Azelf, Aegislash, Salamence
Special Wall breaker: Azelf, Aegislash, Salamence
Mixed wall breaker: Aegislash, Salamence
Choice Band: Aegislash, Azelf
Choice Specs: Aegislash, Azelf
Automize: Aegislash
Acid Armor: (Add iron defense and put Kommo-o)
Add Meteor Beam Section: Celesteela, Necrozma
Add Mach Punch: Conkeldurr
Shadow Sneak: Aegislash
Physically defensive wall: Umbreon, Salamence
Thanks a lot for the post. I'll update this and speedlist once my exams will be done, should be good in 1 week !

If it ends up getting ranked (or already has), Guzzlord needs to be in there somewhere, same with Entei. Also, you still have Bisharp as defog deterrent. Other than that, looks great as usual Moute!

If it ends up getting ranked (or already has), Guzzlord needs to be in there somewhere, same with Entei. Also, you still have Bisharp as defog deterrent. Other than that, looks great as usual Moute!
Yeah Guzzlord is ranked, but I don't know what the fuck is doing on the VR (like what does it brings in term of utility to a team). Entei isn't ranked yet. I'll probably add it when it gets added during the next update (probably same with Guzzlord).

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Yeah Guzzlord is ranked, but I don't know what the fuck is doing on the VR (like what does it brings in term of utility to a team). Entei isn't ranked yet. I'll probably add it when it gets added during the next update (probably same with Guzzlord).
just put guzz in physical / special walls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)