[STABmons] Heatran (first half) [QC 3/3 GP 2/2]

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC TEG / The Reptile / BaconBagonz
GP The Dutch Plumberjack / P Squared
[OVERVIEW]

Heatran's amazing defensive typing leaves it with only three weaknesses, as well as an impressive nine resistances, one immunity, and an immunity to two status conditions. Its stats enable it to run multiple sets, making it very unpredictable. It is able to check or counter many top-tier threats such as Kyurem-B, Thundurus, and Sableye. Its great natural bulk allows offensive sets to take hits even without investment and makes defensive sets tough to tear down. While its great support movepool allows it to help its team throughout the battle, its lack of setup moves sometimes gives it trouble against bulky foes, and it also lacks a form of reliable recovery. Additionally, it has a 4x weakness to a very strong and common attacking type in Ground, and its other two weaknesses are to types that are prevalent and strong. It also often suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, and its below average Speed tier hurts its longevity and attacking potential.

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Lava Plume
move 2: Doom Desire / Toxic
move 3: King's Shield
move 4: Roar / Earth Power / Stealth Rock
item: Leftovers
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 36 SpA / 224 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Lava Plume hits reasonably hard and has a 30% chance to burn. Doom Desire is a hard-hitting STAB move that allows Heatran to hit the foe two turns later and has great synergy with King's Shield and Roar, letting Heatran buy turns for the move to hit and force switches. Doom Desire hitting at the end of the second turn after it is used also makes it good for bypassing Protect and breaking Substitutes. King's Shield protects Heatran from attacks and lowers the foe's Attack by two stages if they use a contact move. Roar allows Heatran to phaze opposing setup sweepers and racks up Stealth Rock damage on the foe. Earth Power is important to damage opposing Heatran and other Steel- and Fire-types. Stealth Rock is an option to help support Heatran's team and help wear the opposing team down as they switch in over the course of battle. Taunt helps Heatran check stall-oriented foes and prevent them from hurting your team. Will-O-Wisp is another option for Heatran to guarantee a burn on foes, although it has some issues with accuracy. Searing Shot is an alternative to Lava Plume that hits harder and has the same burn chance. However, it only has 8 PP.

Set Details
========

The HP and Special Defense investment guarantees Heatran survives Earth Power from Mega Diancie and gives it great overall bulk. A Calm nature increases Heatran's already impressive Special Defense even more. Flash Fire makes Heatran immune to Fire-type moves, making it the perfect switch-in to opposing Fire-types. The remaining 36 EVs are flexible. You can add them to Special Attack to let Heatran hit a little harder, or you can add them to Speed to creep common foes. Alternatively, you can add them to Defense or maximize Special Defense to make Heatran more bulky. Leftovers serves as Heatran's only form of recovery. You could also run 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD with a Calm nature to allow Heatran to survive Earth Power from opposing Choice Scarf Heatran and KO back. 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe is an alternative spread that can be used if you run Taunt. This spread allows Heatran to outspeed Mega Venusaur, Suicune, and Mandibuzz.

Usage Tips
========

This Heatran can switch into many special attacks because of its high Special Defense. It is best used early in the game to eliminate threats for your sweepers or to crack the walls the opponent has. This Heatran set is an amazing switch-in to Sableye, as it is immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Doom Desire can take out Focus Sash + Destiny Bond versions. It is also an amazing switch-in to the many Fake Out + Extreme Speed foes you will face, such as Stoutland. It is a good idea to use King's Shield on the first turn after using Doom Desire to scout what the opponent does and buy a turn towards Doom Desire hitting. The second turn, if they have an obvious Doom Desire switch-in like Chansey or Heatran, you may want to use Roar to force another foe to take the damage. If you carry Stealth Rock, you want to set it up as soon as possible. Because of Heatran's bulk, it can be used to phaze many setup sweepers.

Team Options
========

This variant of Heatran works well with entry hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp, whose Spikes, Stealth Rock, or Toxic Spikes can help wear down the opposing team over the course of the battle. Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Celebi, and Mega Venusaur also work as good teammates for Heatran, resisting two of Heatran's weaknesses in Water and Ground and being able to hit such Pokemon back with a super effective STAB attack. Heatran in return resists or is immune to all of the types Grass is weak to. Hazard removers such as Mega Blastoise and Landorus-T work well with Heatran, preventing it from being worn down by residual damage over the course of the battle. Fighting-resistant Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Clefable, Landorus-T, and Thundurus also make for good team options for Heatran, being able to cover one of its weaknesses. Flying-type teammates especially work well because they are are immune to the Ground-type moves that plague Heatran, and they resist the Fighting-type moves that it doesn't like while also being able to hit their users hard.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Blue Flare
move 2: Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Eruption / Ancient Power
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid
evs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Blue Flare allows Heatran to hit opposing Pokemon hard, but it has two downsides in below average accuracy and only 8 PP. It outpowers Eruption once Heatran is at 86% health or lower. Earth Power is good for hitting other Fire-type foes that would otherwise give Heatran troubles, such as opposing Heatran. Hidden Power Ice allows Heatran to hit common foes hard such as Latios, Latias, Landorus-T, and other Flying-types. Flash Cannon is Heatran's secondary STAB move that hits Rock- and Fairy-type foes hard. Eruption is a powerful STAB option that hits at a maximum Base Power of 150 when Heatran is at full health. Alternatively, Ancient Power allows Heatran to hit Flying-types hard, as well as foes with Levitate. Searing Shot is another powerful Fire-type STAB option for Heatran if the accuracy of Blue Flare and unreliability of Eruption scare you. It still hits hard and carries a burn chance, but like Blue Flare, this move only has 8 PP. Stone Edge is another alternative to Ancient Power that is capable of OHKOing Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature increases Heatran's Speed. Along with the Speed EVs and Choice Scarf, it allows Heatran to outspeed base 135 Speed foes, including Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny. Flash Fire makes Heatran immune to Fire-type moves while raising the power of its Fire-type moves if it is hit by one.

Usage Tips
========

Offensive Heatran works better as a late-game cleaner after its checks have been eliminated. It still has great natural bulk even uninvested, allowing it to switch into many threats and then hit back hard. Choice Scarf sets make for great revenge killers. Try to switch Heatran into resisted hits such as Grass-, Ice-, and Fairy-type moves to keep it around longer. It is probably the best status sponge in the metagame, being immune to Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, making it a great switch-in to foes that you expect to use a status move. Watch out for Knock Off, as losing its Choice Scarf hurts this set. Similarly, watch out for Thunder Wave from foes such as Porygon2 and Chansey.

Team Options
========

Grass-types such as Celebi and Mega Venusaur serve as great teammates because they resist both of Heatran's weaknesses and Heatran resists almost all of theirs. Heatran also appreciates entry hazard control from teammates such as Mega Blastoise and Defog Landorus-T, as it will switch in a fair number of times and appreciates not taking residual damage each time it does. Flying-types such as Talonflame, Landorus-T, and Thundurus are also good teammates for Heatran, as they resist Fighting-types' STAB moves and are able to hit them back hard. Heatran also takes care of Rock- and Steel-types that they don't like. Entry hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Hippowdon make for great teammates to help bring foes into OHKO range. As the Choice Scarf's lock-in can allow foes to set up on Heatran, a good teammate would be an Unaware user such as Clefable or Quagsire or a Fake Out + Extreme Speed user like Stoutland. Heal Bell support from a teammate such as Chansey is appreciated in case Heatran gets paralyzed.

continued here

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Overview
  • It has the same special bulk as physical, so this should be "mixed bulk"; However, most sets are EVd to be special because it tends to check special attackers better. Either way the distinction should be made.
  • IMO the typing/ability is what makes Heatran such a great defensive Pokemon. As such mention its great typing first.
  • On the note about its x4 Ground weakness you can add that Pokemon will carry Ground specifically for Heatran, meaning it cannot safely wall Kyurem-B because it packs Earth Power, even tho it walls its STABs
Set - Special Wall
  • Way way too many slashes. You're basically including every single option but you need to focus on the most viable.
  • I prefer Lava Plume/Doom Desire/Protect/Roar or Stealth Rock or Earth Power.
  • Magma Storm/Taunt/Toxic are good on the trapper/stallbreaker set, which either needs its own set or to be listed in Other Options.
  • Everything else can be listed below. Make sure you highlight incompatibilities with Doom Desire/King's Shield.
Moves
  • Hit on the synergy of Doom Desire/Protect/Roar, which buys Heatran time and shuffles the team so the opponent can't always choose what gets hit by Doom Desire.
  • Earth Power is important so you can damage enemy Heatrans.
  • Make sure you include how Doom Desire works: it hits at the end of the 2nd turn, meaning it bypasses Protect.
Set Details
  • An alternative spread of 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD, Calm, allows you to live an Earth Power from ScarfTran and KO back with your own Earth Power.
Usage Tips
  • I'd like to see tips on how to juggle Doom Desire/Protect/Roar. Should I Protect after a DD or Roar?
  • If I'm carrying SR when should I put those up?
  • Can I use it to phaze setup sweepers like GeoKiss?
Team Options
  • That's a long list of hazard setters. Can you narrow it down to ones that work the best with Heatran?
  • I can't remember the last time I saw Rotom-Mow in STABmons. Change to something like Celebi or remove.
Set - Special Attacker
  • Knock off Specs and Eruption and mention them later.
Moves
  • Flash Cannon's edge over Doom Desire is it doesn't require 2 turns to hit, so mention that.
  • I don't like Stone Edge, Ancient Power, or HP Ice. Zard-Y and Talonflame already get 2HKO'd by Scarf Blue Flare. Landorus-T doesn't like coming in on Heatran for fear of a burn. HP Ice does the same amount of damage as neutral Flash Cannon to Latios/Latias.
  • Emphasize that Sleep Talk allows it to absorb Dark Voids and Spores from stuff like Sableye and Serperior.
Set Details
  • Modest is usable over Timid w/ Scarf Sets and you still outspeed base 121.
  • Timid w/ Scarf only needs 228 EVs to outspeed base 135, otherwise 252 outspeeds 140 by 1 point.
Usage Tips
  • I wouldn't use this as a FakeSpeed check, as you usually won't be running Leftovers and you don't want to eat an EQ or Superpower on accident.
  • It wants to switch into as many resisted hits as possible so it can continue to revenge kill threats. Try to come in on Grass, Poison, Ice, Steel, etc, all types it can threaten back with STAB or coverage.
  • You want to avoid losing your item to Knock Off, as it relies on Choice Scarf to stay ahead of the opponent's team. You also need to watch out for paralysis from P2, which sponges your hits with ease.
Team Options
  • Again, remove Rotom-Mow in favor of Celebi or something. Mention how the Grass-types remove Water Pokemon, particularly Rotom-W, for Heatran.
  • A cleric in case Heatran gets paralyzed is useful but there's not always room if the team is HO.
  • Choice sets run the risk of giving free setup turns, so pack your own FakeSpeed or Unaware if the opponent tries to setup on you.
Other Options
  • The trapping set should go here if you don't make an entire section devoted to it.
Checks & Counters
  • I'd drop the Fighting-type section. They don't want to risk getting burned except for an Assault Vest Guts Conkeldurr or something.
  • Rotom-W and Rotom-H are two solid counters if Heatran lacks Toxic. You have Wash under Water-types, so Rotom-H could go into a Fire-type section or maybe as a special wall, mainly because it walls Heatran by virtue of typing/ability.
Please implement and QC 1/3.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
I'm assuming TEG's QC was implemented

Overview
  • make point 2 and 3 into one sentence - they're redundant otherwise
Wall

Moves
  • Slash Toxic with Doom Desire and King's Shield with Protect. Toxic helps vs bulky water switch-ins and helps vs Roost Lati, Zard X w/o EQ, and Talonbird. Also Taunt + Toxic is very annoying
  • King's Shield is obviously over Protect if Doom Desire is not being used
  • Clean up the comments - they seem to have left over stuff from an old version (i.e. mention Searing Shot, ect)
Set Details
  • Mention a spread of 248 HP / 192 SpDef / 68 Spe if you are running Taunt. This lets you outspeed Mega Venu, Suicune, and Mandi, which do not appreciate taunt
Usage
  • Clean up this section too - this set doesn't mention Magma Storm anywhere
TO
  • Heatran isn't weak to Electric
  • This set doesn't really need physical wall breakers tbh
  • Replace Flying-types with anything that resists Fighting - this includes stuff like Clefable, Celebi, Toge, and the Latis
  • Replace Grass-types with teammates that can handle Water-types such as Grass- and Electric-types. Also mention stuff like the Latis
Offensive (Now Scarf)
  • Rename this set to Scarf - Offensive and Scarf should not be the same set
  • Overall there should be 4 Heatran sets (and imho should go in this order) - SpDef, Stallbreaker (Magma Storm + Taunt), Scarf, Offensive)
Moves
  • Since this is now primarily scarf, the moveset should be
    • Eruption / Blue Flare
    • Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
    • Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Ice
    • Blue Flare / Sleep Talk / Ancient Power or Stone Edge (for Talonflame / Zard Y)
Set
  • Spread should be 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe with Timid. This outspeed Mega Manectric, which is the fastest thing you need to outspeed (you can't outspeed base 145 no matter what)
Usage Tips
  • Basically fix this to fit the choice scarf motif. Most of it works for Scarf, so not much needs to change
TO
  • Good
Stallbreaker
  • It's basically the OU set, so just take that and modify it to fit STABmons logic
Offensive

Moves
  • Should be
    • Blue Flare / Searing Shot / Fire Blast (for Autotomize sets)
    • Earth Power
    • Flash Cannon / Doom Desire / Hidden Power Ice
    • Stealth Rock / Autotomize
Set
  • Basic 252/252+ spread
OO
  • Remove trapping set from here - its good enough to be a main set
  • Remove mention of Solar Beam here, since you mention it with Stallbreaker
  • Everything else looks good
CnC
  • Remove Latis - you're a check to them, not the other way around
  • Add Residual Damage such as hazards and stuff like Leech Seed
  • Add Ground- and Fighting-types as counters
  • Add Dugtrio at the very end
Once all of this is implemented you can get your second check

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
Okay sorry that took so long, I was dealing with some irl stuff. I've finally implemented The Reptile suggested. Since I changed it so much I'd appreciate if you'd take another look at it.

canno

formerly The Reptile
It looks good now, outside of some ordering stuff (I'd put Stallbreak first and then Scarf, and Scarf has Eruption as the last bullet), but the actual content seems good

2/3

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
Not sure how I missed that. I fixed it, and I'll write this up soon and I changed the order of the sets as suggested as well.

Reactions: EV
Hey Scyther no Swiping – good work so far! Let's fix this up so that it can be adjusted to the current STABmons rules.

You can add the stallbreaker set of Taunt / King's Shield / Doom Desire / Magma Storm, and I trust you should be able to implement the set for that. Fix up everything else to be according to the new threats, mention the new merits and buffs Heatran got, but also how it struggles with the rise of Mega Metagross, etc. You're on the QC team, so I won't go into each particular section since I trust you know the content! Thanks dude.

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Will try to QC lol

oh when it says 'name: SET NAME Stallbreaker', take out the SET NAME so it just reads name: Stallbreaker. Do this for all the sets

Overview
- Mention that Heatran's other two weaknesses, Water and Fighting, are also prevalent attacking types

Wall
- Could you change the set's name to something like 'Specially Defensive' or 'Tank'? Wall implies that Heatran has access to a recovery move to reliably take on threats, which it doesn't
- Change 'Fake Out / Extreme Speed' to 'Fake Out + Extreme Speed', which is an accepted term
- Under set options, change 'Tank Heatran' to 'This variant of Heatran', which is more general
- Mention Mega Venusaur as a Grass-type under Team Options

Scarf
- Change set name to 'Choice Scarf'
- Mention Stone Edge as an alternative to Ancient Power under moves; it's capable of OHKOing Mega Charizard Y
- Mention Mega Lopunny alongside Mega Manectric as Pokemon with base 135 Speed
- Note that hitting these Pokemon is important, so Timid is usually superior. Mention Tornadus-T as an example of a Pokemon with base 121 Speed which Modest can still outspeed
- Once again, mention Mega Venusaur as a Grass-type teammate

Stallbreaker
- Magma Storm and Earth Power don't actually have perfect neutral coverage, as a few Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Dragonite, Gyarados, etc exist. Maybe change to 'nearly perfect neutral coverage'?
- In Usage Tips, mention that Solar Beam can also be used when the foe has been trapped by Magma Storm

Offensive
- Change the description of Blue Flare's accuracy from 'below average' to 'imperfect'
- Could you move either Hidden Power Ice, Stone Edge or both from slashes to Moves? The main set seems kind of crowded, and I think Stealth Rock is pretty important for offensive Heatran
- The move is called Autotomize, not Automize
- I don't really feel like this set's appeal lies in being a late-game cleaner, and I think it's better described as a mid-game wallbreaker that can aggressively force switches and set up Stealth Rock

Other Options
- King's Shield is better than Protect on SubToxic
- Mention Choice Specs here, it's really strong and is great for breaking down defensive cores

Checks and Counters
- Keldeo can be combined into Water-types, add Azumarill to the category too
- However, note that a lot of these Water-types are hit hard by Solar Beam
- Add Dugtrio to Ground-types, noting that it gets a special mention for Arena Trap

Feel free to question any part of this post, it's my first QC check and is probably terrible D:

anyway, QC 3/3 :)

Last edited:

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
Thanks for the check. I implemented everything except for the Keldeo thing on C&C. I thought Keldeo is enough to deserve a mention on its own in that section. Although if other QC members/GP disagree I'll change it. Anyway, thanks again!

Will try to QC lol

oh when it says 'name: SET NAME Stallbreaker', take out the SET NAME so it just reads name: Stallbreaker. Do this for all the sets

Overview
- Mention that Heatran's other two weaknesses, Water and Fighting, are also prevalent attacking types

Wall
- Could you change the set's name to something like 'Specially Defensive' or 'Tank'? Wall implies that Heatran has access to a recovery move to reliably take on threats, which it doesn't
- Change 'Fake Out / Extreme Speed' to 'Fake Out + Extreme Speed', which is an accepted term
- Under set options, change 'Tank Heatran' to 'This variant of Heatran', which is more general
- Mention Mega Venusaur as a Grass-type under Team Options

Scarf
- Change set name to 'Choice Scarf'
- Mention Stone Edge as an alternative to Ancient Power under moves; it's capable of OHKOing Mega Charizard Y
- Mention Mega Lopunny alongside Mega Manectric as Pokemon with base 135 Speed
- Note that hitting these Pokemon is important, so Timid is usually superior. Mention Tornadus-T as an example of a Pokemon with base 121 Speed which Modest can still outspeed
- Once again, mention Mega Venusaur as a Grass-type teammate

Stallbreaker
- Magma Storm and Earth Power don't actually have perfect neutral coverage, as a few Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Dragonite, Gyarados, etc exist. Maybe change to 'nearly perfect neutral coverage'?
- In Usage Tips, mention that Solar Beam can also be used when the foe has been trapped by Magma Storm

Offensive
- Change the description of Blue Flare's accuracy from 'below average' to 'imperfect'
- Could you move either Hidden Power Ice, Stone Edge or both from slashes to Moves? The main set seems kind of crowded, and I think Stealth Rock is pretty important for offensive Heatran
- The move is called Autotomize, not Automize
- I don't really feel like this set's appeal lies in being a late-game cleaner, and I think it's better described as a mid-game wallbreaker that can aggressively force switches and set up Stealth Rock

Other Options
- King's Shield is better than Protect on SubToxic
- Mention Choice Specs here, it's really strong and is great for breaking down defensive cores

Checks and Counters
- Keldeo can be combined into Water-types, add Azumarill to the category too
- However, note that a lot of these Water-types are hit hard by Solar Beam
- Add Dugtrio to Ground-types, noting that it gets a special mention for Arena Trap

Feel free to question any part of this post, it's my first QC check and is probably terrible D:

anyway, QC 3/3 :)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
i got this

implement with reply button!!! work in the reply box, delete the reds, address the comments, deformat the blues (by clicking "none" in the colour tab), and copypaste the finished thing into the op

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Heatran's has amazing defensive typing leaving leaves it with only 3 three weaknesses, as long as giving it as well as an impressive 9 nine resistances, (AC) and 1 one immunity, (comma) It also is immune and an immunity to two status conditions. Due to Its stats it is very versatile and enable it to run multiple sets, (AC) making it very unpredictable for opponents many times. It is able to check or counter many top-tier (add hyphen) threats such as Kyurem-B, Thundurus, and Sableye and more. Its great natural bulk makes it possible for even allows offensive sets to be able to take hits uninvested even without investment and makes defensive sets a tough wall to tear down. It has a While its great support movepool, allowing allows it to help its team throughout the battle, (comma) It lacks set up its lack of setup moves (RC) sometimes giving gives it trouble against bulky foes, (AC) and it also lacks a form of reliable recovery. Additionally, (AC) it has a 4x weakness to a very strong and common attacking type in Ground, (comma) and its other two weaknesses are to types that are prevalent and strong. It lacks a reliable form of recovery. It also often suffers from four-moveslot (add hyphen) syndrome, (comma) and its below average Speed tier hurts its longevity and attacking potential.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Lava Plume is Heatran's STAB option. It hits reasonably hard (RC) and has a 30% chance to burn. Doom Desire is a hard-hitting (add hyphen) STAB move that allows Heatran to hit the foe two turns later. Doom Desire, and has great synergy with King's Shield and Roar have great synergy together, letting Heatran buy turns for the move to hit (RC) and force switches. Doom Desire hits hitting on the end of the 2nd second turn after it is used making also makes it good for bypassing Protect (RC) and breaking Substitutes. King's Shield is a move that protects Heatran from attacks, while lowering and lowers the foe's Attack by 2 two stages if they use a contact move. Roar allows Heatran to faze out phaze opposing set up setup sweepers, as well as force the foe to switch, which makes them take damage if rocks are up and racks up Stealth Rock damage on the foe. Earth Power is important to damage opposing Heatran and other Ground- (RC; also huh?) and Fire-types. Stealth Rock is an option to help support Heatran's team and help wear the opposing team down as they switch in over the course of battle. Taunt helps Heatran check stall-oriented (add hyphen) foes and prevent them from hurting your team. Will-O-Wisp is another option for Heatran to guarantee a burn on foes, although it has some issues with accuracy. Searing Shot is another alternative to Lava Plume that hits harder and has the same burn chance. However, it only has 8(space)PP.

Set Details
========

The EV spread in HP and SpD Special Defense investment guarantees you live Heatran survives Earth Power from Mega Diancie, as well as helping to give Heatran and gives it great overall bulk. A Calm nature increases Heatran's already impressive Special Defense even more. Flash Fire makes Heatran immune to Fire-type moves, (AC) making it the perfect switch-in (add hyphen) to opposing Fire-types. The remaining 36 EVs are flexible. You can use add them to Special Attack to let Heatran hit a little harder, (AC) or (RC) you can add them to Speed to creep common foes. Alternatively, you can add them to either Defense (RC) or go full 252 in maximize Special Defense to make Heatran more bulky. Leftovers serves as the Heatran's only form of recovery that Heatran has, letting it recover 1/16 of its HP per turn. You could also run 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD with a Calm nature to allow you Heatran to live survive Earth Power from opposing Choice Scarf Heatran and KO back in return. 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe is an alternative spread that can be used if you run Taunt. This spread allows you Heatran to outspeed Mega Venusaur, Suicune, and Mandibuzz.

Usage Tips
========

This Heatran can switch into many special attacks because of its high Special Defense. It is best used early in the game to clear the opponent's team of eliminate threats for your sweepers or to crack the walls the opponent has. This is an amazing switch-in (add hyphen) to Sableye, (AC) as it is immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Doom Desire can take out Focus Sash + Destiny Bond versions. This is also an amazing switch-in (add hyphen) to the many Fake Out + Extreme Speed foes you will face, (AC) such as Diggersby and Stoutland. It is important to know whether you should use King's Shield or Roar after using Doom Desire. It is a good idea to use King's Shield on the first turn after using Doom Desire to scout what the opponent does (RC) and buy a turn towards Doom Desire hitting. The second turn, if they have an obvious Doom Desire switch-in (add hyphen) like Chansey (RC) or Heatran, you may want to use Roar to force another foe to take the damage. If you carry Stealth Rock, you want to put those it up as soon as possible. Because of Heatran's bulk, it can be used to faze phaze many setup sweepers.

Team Options
========

This variant of Heatran works well with entry hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp, (comma) These teammates and their hazard support in the form of whose Spikes, Stealth Rock, or Toxic Spikes can work to help wear down the opposing team over the length course of the battle. Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Celebi, and Mega Venusaur also work as good teammates for Heatran, (comma) These teammates resist resisting two of Heatran's weaknesses in Water and Ground (RC) and are being able to hit such Pokemon back with a super effective (remove hyphen) STAB attack. Heatran in return resists or is immune to all of the types Grass is weak to, so it is a great switch in to take hits for them. Hazard Control teammates removers such as Mega Blastoise (RC) or and Landorus-T work well with Heatran, (comma) They help prevent Heatran preventing it from being worn down from hazards residual damage over the course of the battle. Fighting-resistant Pokemon resists such as Latios, Latias, Clefable, Landorus-T, (AC) and Thundurus also make good team options for Heatran, being able to resist cover one of its weaknesses. Flying-type teammates especially work well because they are are immune to the Ground-type moves that plague Heatran, and they resist the Fighting-type moves that it doesn't like while also being able to hit them their users hard.

[SET]
evs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe (add slashes)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Blue Flare is a powerful Fire STAB for Heatran that allows it Heatran to hit opposing foes Pokemon hard, (comma) However this move but it has 2 two downsides in below average accuracy (RC) and only 8(space)PP. It also outpowers Eruption once Heatran is at 86% health or lower. Earth Power is a good coverage move, good for hitting other Fire-type foes that would otherwise give Heatran troubles such as opposing Heatran. Hidden Power Ice is a great coverage move that allows Heatran to hit common foes hard such as Latios, Latias, Landorus-T, and other Flying-types. Flash Cannon is Heatran's secondary STAB move (what does it hit?). Eruption is a powerful STAB option that hits at a maximum Base Power of 150 when Heatran is at full health. Alternatively, (AC) Ancient Power is a good coverage move that allows Heatran to hit Flying-types hard, as well as foes with Levitate. Searing Shot is another powerful Fire-type STAB option for Heatran if the accuracy of Blue Flare and unreliability of Eruption scare you. Is It still hits hard (RC) and carries the added possibility for a burn chance, (comma) Again but similarly to Blue Flare, this move only has 8(space)PP. Stone Edge is another alternative to Ancient Power, it that is capable of OHKOing Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature increases Heatran's Speed. Along with the Speed EVs along with Timid nature and Choice Scarf, it allows Heatran to outspeed base 135 Speed foes including Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny. Flash Fire allows Heatran to be makes Heatran immune to Fire-type moves while raising the power of its Fire-type moves if it is hit by one. A Modest nature is usable over Timid, (AC) with Scarf sets as it still allows you Heatran to outspeed base 121 Speed foes such as Thundurus. (it's 111? Otherwise just make it "base 121 Speed foes and below) However, the Timid nature is more preferable preferred due to the amount added number of foes it allows you Heatran to outspeed.

Usage Tips
========

Offensive Heatran works better as a late-game (add hyphen) cleaner after its checks have been eliminated. It still had has great natural bulk even uninvested, (comma) It is still able allowing it to switch in into many threats and then hit back hard. Choice Scarf sets make a great revenge killer. Try to switch into (remove space) resisted hits such as Grass-, Ice-, Fairy-type moves to keep Heatran around longer and allow it to hit back with STAB coverage. It is probably the best status sponge in the meta, (AC) being immune to Toxic (RC) and Will-O-Wisp, making it a great switch-in (add hyphen) to foes who that you expect to use a status move. Watch out for Knock Off, as losing its Choice Scarf hurts this set. Also Similarly, (AC) watch out for paralysis Thunder Wave from foes such as Porygon2 and Chansey.

Team Options
========

Grass-types (add hyphen) such as Celebi (RC) and Mega Venusaur serve as great teammates because they resist both of Heatran's weaknesses and Heatran resists all 5 of theirs weaknesses. Heatran also appreciates entry hazard control from teammates such as Mega Blastoise (RC) and Defog Landorus-T, (comma) as it Heatran will switch in a fair amount number of times (RC) and it appreciates not taking residual damage each time it does. Flying-types such as Talonflame, Landorus-T, (AC) and Thundurus are also good teammates for Heatran, (AC) as they resist Fighting-types' STAB moves and are able to hit them back hard. Heatran also takes care of Rock- (RC) and Steel-types that they don't like. Hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, (AC) and Hippowdon make great teammates to help bring foes into OHKO range. One risk of carrying As the Choice Scarf's lock-in is possibly letting opponents can allow foes to set up on Heatran, (comma) So a good teammate for Heatran would be either an Unaware user teammate such as Clefable or Quagsire (RC) or a Fake Out (remove hyphen) + Extreme(space)Speed user like Stoutland or Diggersby. Heal Bell support from a teammate such as Chansey is appreciated in case Heatran gets paralyzed.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
-punches air-
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Heatran's amazing defensive typing leaves it with only three weaknesses, as well as an impressive nine resistances, one immunity, and an immunity to two status conditions. Its stats enable it to run multiple sets, making it very unpredictable. It is able to check or counter many top-tier threats such as Kyurem-B, Thundurus, and Sableye. Its great natural bulk allows offensive sets to take hits even without investment and makes defensive sets tough to tear down. While its great support movepool allows it to help its team throughout the battle, its lack of setup moves sometimes gives it trouble against bulky foes, and it also lacks a form of reliable recovery. Additionally, it has a 4x weakness to a very strong and common attacking type in Ground, and its other two weaknesses are to types that are prevalent and strong. It also often suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, and its below average Speed tier hurts its longevity and attacking potential.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Lava Plume is Heatran's STAB option. It hits reasonably hard and has a 30% chance to burn. Doom Desire is a hard-hitting STAB move that allows Heatran to hit the foe two turns later and has great synergy with King's Shield and Roar, letting Heatran buy turns for the move to hit and force switches. Doom Desire hitting on at the end of the second turn after it is used also makes it good for bypassing Protect and breaking Substitutes. King's Shield protects Heatran from attacks and lowers the foe's Attack by two stages if they use a contact move. Roar allows Heatran to phaze opposing setup sweepers and racks up Stealth Rock damage on the foe. Earth Power is important to damage opposing Heatran and other Steel- and Fire-types. Stealth Rock is an option to help support Heatran's team and help wear the opposing team down as they switch in over the course of battle. Taunt helps Heatran check stall-oriented foes and prevent them from hurting your team. Will-O-Wisp is another option for Heatran to guarantee a burn on foes, although it has some issues with accuracy. Searing Shot is an alternative to Lava Plume that hits harder and has the same burn chance. However, it only has 8 PP.

Set Details
========

The HP and Special Defense investment guarantees Heatran survives Earth Power from Mega Diancie and gives it great overall bulk. A Calm nature increases Heatran's already impressive Special Defense even more. Flash Fire makes Heatran immune to Fire-type moves, making it the perfect switch-in to opposing Fire-types. The remaining 36 EVs are flexible. You can add them to Special Attack to let Heatran hit a little harder, or you can add them to Speed to creep common foes. Alternatively, you can add them to Defense or maximize Special Defense to make Heatran more bulky. Leftovers serves as Heatran's only form of recovery. You could also run 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD with a Calm nature to allow Heatran to survive Earth Power from opposing Choice Scarf Heatran and KO back. 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe is an alternative spread that can be used if you run Taunt. This spread allows Heatran to outspeed Mega Venusaur, Suicune, and Mandibuzz.

Usage Tips
========

This Heatran can switch into many special attacks because of its high Special Defense. It is best used early in the game to eliminate threats for your sweepers or to crack the walls the opponent has. This Heatran set is an amazing switch-in to Sableye, as it is immune to Will-O-Wisp, and Doom Desire can take out Focus Sash + Destiny Bond versions. It This is also an amazing switch-in to the many Fake Out + Extreme Speed foes you will face, such as Stoutland. It is a good idea to use King's Shield on the first turn after using Doom Desire to scout what the opponent does and buy a turn towards Doom Desire hitting. The second turn, if they have an obvious Doom Desire switch-in like Chansey or Heatran, you may want to use Roar to force another foe to take the damage. If you carry Stealth Rock, you want to put set it up as soon as possible. Because of Heatran's bulk, it can be used to phaze many setup sweepers.

Team Options
========

This variant of Heatran works well with entry hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp, whose Spikes, Stealth Rock, or Toxic Spikes can help wear down the opposing team over the course of the battle. Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Celebi, and Mega Venusaur also work as good teammates for Heatran, resisting two of Heatran's weaknesses in Water and Ground and being able to hit such Pokemon back with a super effective STAB attack. Heatran in return resists or is immune to all of the types Grass is weak to. Hazard removers such as Mega Blastoise and Landorus-T work well with Heatran, preventing it from being worn down from by residual damage over the course of the battle. Fighting-resistant Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Clefable, Landorus-T, and Thundurus also make for good team options for Heatran, being able to cover one of its weaknesses. Flying-type teammates especially work well because they are are immune to the Ground-type moves that plague Heatran, and they resist the Fighting-type moves that it doesn't like while also being able to hit their users hard.

[SET]
evs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Blue Flare allows Heatran to hit opposing Pokemon hard, but it has two downsides in below average accuracy and only 8 PP. It outpowers Eruption once Heatran is at 86% health or lower. Earth Power is good for hitting other Fire-type foes that would otherwise give Heatran troubles, (AC) such as opposing Heatran. Hidden Power Ice allows Heatran to hit common foes hard such as Latios, Latias, Landorus-T, and other Flying-types. Flash Cannon is Heatran's secondary STAB move that hits Rock- and Fairy-type foes hard. Eruption is a powerful STAB option that hits at a maximum Base Power of 150 when Heatran is at full health. Alternatively, Ancient Power allows Heatran to hit Flying-types hard, as well as foes with Levitate. Searing Shot is another powerful Fire-type STAB option for Heatran if the accuracy of Blue Flare and unreliability of Eruption scare you. It still hits hard and carries a burn chance, but similarly to like Blue Flare, this move only has 8 PP. Stone Edge is another alternative to Ancient Power that is capable of OHKOing Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature increases Heatran's Speed. Along with the Speed EVs and Choice Scarf, it allows Heatran to outspeed base 135 Speed foes, (AC) including Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny. Flash Fire makes Heatran immune to Fire-type moves while raising the power of its Fire-type moves if it is hit by one.

Usage Tips
========

Offensive Heatran works better as a late-game cleaner after its checks have been eliminated. It still has great natural bulk even uninvested, allowing it to switch into many threats and then hit back hard. Choice Scarf sets make for a great revenge killers. Try to switch Heatran into resisted hits such as Grass-, Ice-, and Fairy-type moves to keep Heatran it around longer. It is probably the best status sponge in the metagame, being immune to Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, making it a great switch-in to foes that you expect to use a status move. Watch out for Knock Off, as losing its Choice Scarf hurts this set. Similarly, watch out for Thunder Wave from foes such as Porygon2 and Chansey.

Team Options
========

Grass-types such as Celebi and Mega Venusaur serve as great teammates because they resist both of Heatran's weaknesses and Heatran resists almost all of theirs. Heatran also appreciates entry hazard control from teammates such as Mega Blastoise and Defog Landorus-T, as it will switch in a fair number of times and appreciates not taking residual damage each time it does. Flying-types such as Talonflame, Landorus-T, and Thundurus are also good teammates for Heatran, as they resist Fighting-types' STAB moves and are able to hit them back hard. Heatran also takes care of Rock- and Steel-types that they don't like. Entry hazard setters such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Hippowdon make for great teammates to help bring foes into OHKO range. As the Choice Scarf's lock-in can allow foes to set up on Heatran, a good teammate would be an Unaware user such as Clefable or Quagsire or a Fake Out + Extreme Speed user like Stoutland. Heal Bell support from a teammate such as Chansey is appreciated in case Heatran gets paralyzed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)