STAB STABmons

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
QUICKBAN UPDATE #6

:ss/heliolisk::ss/zeraora:
Electrify has been Quickbanned on non-native learners

Following input from some community members and discussion among the council, we have determined that Electrify is an unhealthy and uncompetitive element in the STABmons metagame.

Electrify's ability to nullify attacks from anything slower combined with passive damage such as Toxic made matches one-sided and prediction reliant, and the primary abuser, Zeraora, outspeeds the viable unboosted metagame, making outpacing it unrealistic without priority in a metagame with few common scarfers.

We discussed Zeraora and whether it was the source of the problem thanks to its excellent Speed tier. However the existence of other abusers, most notably Dracozolt, made us decide that Electrify was the source of the problem and the best choice for a ban.

This ban will NOT effect the current week of OMGS.

Replays:
Chiori Mikami v Morytha

Please let me know if you have any good replays of Electrify, unfortunately I don't have many right now

Tagging The Immortal and Kris

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I'll refrain from commenting on stuff outside of the higher ranks because frankly I don't care enough or have the time to try most of them out, but I have a few suggestions on the higher ranks.

:Terrakion: -> A

Okay look I know this is broken and annoying to prep for but I've played a good amount of post-home and this has barely popped up for me. It's not exactly the easiest breaker to fit on teams in my experience despite trying a few times and I just dont think it fits into standard structures very well, which isn't great because the standard structures offer access to some of the best good mons in any tier I've played. Speaking of the so-called "good mons", the top 4 of Pult Sylv Corv and Goon feel more like S and S- ranks than S and A+ ranks because of how consistent and versatile they are, but S- ranks are kinda stupid so I won't make any nom of the sort. I'm mostly making this nom because I don't see Terrak really fitting in with the other insanely good A+ rank mons - it feels like more of an unhealthy threat than an absolute top threat.

:Rotom-Wash: -> A-

I don't feel like Rotoms are all that great in the tier rn but Wash is definitely worse than Heat. While it has versatility in its moveslots (as well as 4MSS) I find it's pretty inflexible to build and play with due to the poor stats making it bleh in a lot of scenarios. There isn't really any good way to EV any of its sets, defensive always sacrifices investment on one side of the spectrum while also being pretty weak whenever it tries to use the likes of Freeze-Dry. Offensive sets just don't make sense to build with most of the time, its bulk ends up being surprisingly poor, speed is lacking, and so is its initial damage. For the most part the major offensive threats can just kinda bypass Rotoms which is annoying, and it tends to lack staying power in the face of whatever breaker comes out next so sometimes you just lose momentum which isnt great in the tier's current state. As Drampa pointed out in the other thread, Washtom's typing is worse than Heattom's against the meta and is more exploitable as a result, so I think it should drop to A-

:Aegislash: -> A

This is one of the better breakers and has a neat niche in being one of the better Terrak/Celebi switchins in the meta, while also avoiding getting smacked by Kommo-o which is a priority for teams running Defensive Sylv to find counterplay against. Both choiced variants are fine but I think the best variant of Aegi is Spell Tag mixed, which both allows you to dodge LO recoil for extra longevity against the aforementioned Terrak/Celebi, and sometimes allows you to bluff Choice items. I think this is a lot more logical to fit on teams than most of the offensive threats above it because it's always helping your team check things even when it's not being successful as a breaker. Looking at the competition from Exca and Ditto this is an easy rise for me.

:Tyranitar: -> A-

I don't know what to say about this being in B. Don't run Band I guess? This was confusing for me to see because the utility set when running Head Smash is still actually a really good breaker, that also compresses Rocks, prio support, and a big Ghost resist which is in short supply (worth noting that Goon gives it significant competition in this regard). Switches into stuff like Heat pretty consistently and will generally get into the game somewhere. Recommend running Heal Bell Sylv with this as it allows you to be a bit more aggressive at points where you might catch status, considering Heat runs Toxic it's good to reset that. Don't run Band because you lose out on compression and longevity, plus some common matchups like Kommo-O will just stay the same anyway (hitting it with Knock Off is really good even if you're not breaking through it) so you don't necessarily want to be treating it as one of your main breaking methods when it's versatile enough to fit in more roles.

:Arcanine: -> B-
:Incineroar: -> B-

They have V-create and both have their own perks defensively, this is enough to put them above the rest of C rank imo.

I'll stop here to avoid commenting on things I feel less strongly about, but if you want to question stuff on Discord I might be able to give clearer reasoning.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
I don't have a position on this for now. It's definitely less splashable than the other Pokemon in A+/S, but it's incredibly effective on a variety of builds at tearing down walls and checking goon.

I can buy it. Rotom has issues with its typing not currently being particularly useful, and most times I find I want Rotom-Heat instead, which actually checks Zeraora, Celebi, and Sylveon while not losing many matchups.

Absolutely agree with this one. Aegislash has been showing itself to be more and more effective to me, between countering Sylveon, revenging chipped Dragapult, and just generally hitting hard with good offensive STAB while having many opportunities to come in. Has become a staple of my teams in a meta where not many Pokemon are practically getting used.

Haven't used this that much recently. When I do, I find that it is fairly difficult to stop it getting worn down given that a number of the things it wants to check either just smack it really hard (goon) or can super-effectively U-Turn on it as it comes in (Pult). This isn't to say Ttar is bad, but its limited in the builds it can fit on because it needs to be able to be brought in effectively and the team has to be able to limit the times you need to do that. I feel B+ may be a better place for this than A-.

Head Smash and Sucker Punch are incredible offensive utility.

:Arcanine: -> B-
:Incineroar: -> B-
Arcanine sounds memey af, but my experience with it is lacking. Because you know, nobody uses it.
Incineroar is OK, but IMO C+ is more fitting than B- when you compare it to the Pokemon in the ranks. I can't see putting it alongside Ludicolo, Rhyperior, or Haxorus, and think it fits better down lower with Gourgeist-Super wtf why is that in C+ raise this thing with like Mew and Corsola-G.

My own thoughts...
:gourgeist-super: Gourgeist-Super C+ -> B
Gourgeist is super useful in the current metagame as a a defensive Pokemon that can wall a bunch of the offensive behemoths of the tier, notably Zeraora, Terrakion, Dracovish, and Kommo-o. Spectral Thief prevents mons from setting up on it while Grass STAB lets it threaten choiced Terrakion and other mons out. Strength Sap for recovery and one of Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and Leech Seed in the last slot finish out the sets. It's a good mon in the current metagame because it has a nice matchup versus some very big threats that can be difficult to cover defensively otherwise. I have personally found the complete lack of hazard game and the tendency to be very susceptible to dying after minimal chip problems, but it's definitely a neat mon you should try out.

:kommo-o: Kommo-o A -> A+ One of the tiers definitive mons. Awesome fatmon, bulky attacker, and rocker. Being a rocker that beats Sylveon is so incredible right now, and it has the flexibility it run a ton of other sets from ddance to csoul to specs to bdrum (i hate that set btw it sucks talk about never being able to set up because you're waiting for pult to die). It's super easy to slot on teams, somewhat unpredictable, and never deadweight.

:dragapult: Dragapult S -> Ban pretty pls ive talked about this in the main thread

PA

Purgatory.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This seemed dead so i thought i'd bring up some discussion on this mon maybe a sus :blobwizard: :obstagoon:

This Dark / Normal Pokemon behemoth is a threat due to its ability to 2HKO a majority of the metagame bar rocky helmet Corviknight and Phy Def Sylveon and even then don't appreciate switching into +2 Knock Off and Facade for the latter. It is also very easy to set up on Pokemon like Celebi and Aegislash. In addition to this, its ability to handle band Dragapult via Sucker leaves it to be over the edge and it can wreak h. You require to at least have a fighting-type like Terrakion or Keldeo to handle it or Fast Pokemon that don't just die to Sucker Punch but then you can just run the suitable checks and once gone can put work however I could be wrong so I'd like your thoughts :].

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Samples updated again just in time for OMPL! We will be using this tournament to see how the metagame fairs at a high caliber stage but the council has been having their radar on threats like Dragapult and Obtsagoon but we want some more community feedback. Discuss!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Small announcement but both xavgb and MultiAmmiratore have joined the STABmons council!

We acknowledge that many ppl have been raising concern upon Dragapult's place in the metagame and are asking for some action against it. The council is currently discussing the best possible form of addressing this given the current OMPL tournament that is going underway so please be a bit more patient! We encourage more discussion on the matter within the thread as community feedback always makes assessing the best possible solution much easier :blobthumbsup: .

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
887.png
The STABmons council has decided to suspect Dragapult! Dragapult has been an versatile threat in the STABmons metagame for a long time now, and overcentralizes the metagame by forcing teams to run multiple checks for it due to physical and special sets each having a largely different set of checks. A good post describing why Dragapult is being suspected can be found here.

This will be a different suspect process than normal aimed at getting results faster and incorporating more voters, a luxury we don't have with a ladder suspect while other OMs are running suspects.

The suspect process:
To maximize the amount of votes we get for this suspect, council members and people who have played STABmons games in OMPL VIII will already be able to vote in this suspect. They will be able to participate in suspect tours as well, but cannot earn an extra vote.
Additionally, we will be running 4 suspect tours over the course of the week, where the winner of each tour will be able to vote in the suspect, while in tours with 8 or more participants both the winner and runner-up will be able to vote. This is to ensure those who do not have the requirements yet have opportunity to get reqs. The tours will be scheduled for:
Sunday, May 3rd @ 7:00PM GMT (3:00PM GMT -4)
Monday, May 4th @ 7:00PM GMT (3:00PM GMT -4)
Wednesday, May 6th @ 7:00PM GMT (3:00PM GMT -4)
The STABmons Daily Thurdsday, May 7th @ 10:00PM GMT (6:00PM GMT -4)

The voting process:

The voting process will take place during the week of 5/4-5/10, and the vote will take place in a blind suspect thread that will be posted at a later date with more information. The deadline to vote is 5/10 where votes will then be counted and results posted.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Aloha, stab kinda sucks but for reasons that differ from other oms, or at least that's my not-very-educated-on-oms opinion. While other oms feel straight up cluttered with possibilities, stabmons in my minimal amount of experience has so far felt pretty constricted and like it's a tier consistent of about 12 mons w/o too much room to shift away from the standard or creativity in general.

This meta at this current point in time is probably the perfect example of when a mon is just too centralizing, pult is not impossible to check or have answers to and is not outright broken but the fact of the matter is that this meta is pretty much entirely defined by that mon. When I was slotted into stab in ompl, my good friend Andyboy told me "90% of stab is just scouting the opponent's dragapult set, basically whether it's special or physical"... I took this with a grain of salt bc that sounds like a common thing people say about tiers that's usually at least slightly exaggerated but he was pretty spot on.

You're basically forced to use two slots for opposing dragapults alone, and the options are somewhat limited. This leads to pretty much every team having a combination of either Corviknight + Sylveon or Ferrothorn + Sylveon... or whatever. Which frequently leads to the same defensive and offensive frameworks being recycled over and over again by each of the like 3 people that play stabmons bc adding one mon leads to another and there's only so many routes to take while building when one of two or three cores is absolutely mandatory on every generally solid build.

I'm not talking about my ass here either, on the few occasions I've tried taking the building into my own hands this ompl I've ended up with an almost identical 6 as stresh about 3 times w/o even seeing his 6 beforehand. In-game when facing the pult, before you're able to confidently scout out the set it feels like every play is a risk and there's rarely a safe play around it. I don't think in-practice that is enough to make it "broken" but the mon is absolutely centralizing as fuck and the longer we wait to get rid of it the more the tier will shape around it, which is not a good thing, look at Scizor in gen7uu, it's the same shit.

Anyways I'd like to announce that I was searching for a stabmons game on the ladder while writing this whole post and I only found one just now.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-stabmons-suspect-voting-1-dragapult.3663960/#post-8460301

Dragapult is banned from STABmons via suspect!

Discuss the current metagame post Dragapult ban! This will shake things up quite a bit so I except a lot of development to come until DLCs drop.

also yay In The Hills can stop bitching
Yay!

Dragapult being banned will be a huge change for the metagame. It discouraged a ton of offensive Pokemon thanks to its combined revenge killing and wallbreaking capabilities.

:ss/sylveon:
This is sort of a weird place to start, but I'm going there.
Sylveon has gradually been running more and more offensive sets, and I think that's going to take off now. One of the major reasons (although far from the only one) SpD or Mixed Defensive Sylveon was so useful was it was one of the best Special Pult checks in the tier, and could go toe to toe with pretty much any set that didn't boost way out of range. Offensive sets had much less leeway to do this, and just rolled over to stuff like Band. But now! We're going to see Specs Sylveon and other offensively inclined sets much more. Sylveon is extremely difficult to wall, requiring SpD Corviknight, and I personally would like to see it suspected. It essentially requires SpD Corviknight to wall, as even bulky titans like Snorlax keel over, and no, Heattom isn't completely reliable as it has a chance to be 2hko'd by Specs Boomburst.

:ss/keldeo::ss/terrakion::ss/kommo-o::ss/cobalion:
Fighting types in general are going to get better. It will be much harder to offensively punish them, every one of them can set up more freely thanks to the lack of the best Spectral Thief abuser, and... yeh basically they can spam attacks much more freely. This one isn't that complicated, honestly.
Kommo-O is a Sword of Justice right? What's 'Virizion'? Isn't that a cell phone company?

:ss/aegislash::ss/gengar::ss/chandelure:
Other offensive ghosts both lost a potent threat to them and their main source of competition. I expect to see much more of all of these three. Gengar in particular is an incredible threat to many teams when played well and can run several sets effectively.

:ss/dracovish:
Vish may be broken now, similarly to Sylveon. Dragapult was a HUGE thorn in its side, as even at +1 Speed Vish was outpaced, meaning that neither Scarf nor Dragon Dance were safe, even behind a Sub. Band and Dragon Dance Vish are both great sets that are incredibly difficult to wall without bringing a Water immunity. I will be keeping an eye on Vish.

:ss/chandelure::ss/gyarados::ss/gengar::ss/kyurem::ss/togekiss::ss/ditto:...etc.
Choice Scarfers... Scarvers? Which is it. I should know that by now. Anyway.
The primary source of speed control in the metagame is gone. Choice Scarf as a whole will likely become a more common sight. This wasn't my thought first but I don't remember who I stole it from so no credit.

:ss/zeraora:
For very similar reasons to Choice Scarf, I expect Zeraora to become more common. It's always been the fastest viable offensive Pokemon but now it stands head and shoulders above the crowd. Zeraora is super hard to find a reliable counter for without resorting to niche picks, and I can see it replacing Pult's role in the metagame decently well, although the lack of Spectral Thief means it wont ever be quite the same :).

:ss/obstagoon:
This thing got worse. Sucker Punch is no longer the vital revenge killing tool it was, the Ghost immunity is suddenly way less important, and Fighting types just got way better. It's still going to be good by virtue of murdering everything, so we'll see if this effective nerf will be enough to take it out of 'big four' status. Well big three now.

These are obviously just my thought in brief, and I've mentioned them a lot over recent days. How much of this actually comes to pass we'll have to see, but there's no doubt this is an incredibly significant meta shake-up.

Ight now that Pult is no longer there, free Gengar. I mean ghost types gather a considerable advantage in this generation, especially in OMs and I'm going to show you once again that a ghost type, Gengar is coming, if I may say "centralize" the current metagame, I don't mean to make a suspect or anything but just to give my personal opinion on him with his more than effective double type.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Moongeist Beam
- Sludge Bomb

Gengar @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt/ Metronome
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Moongeist Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Gengar @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Moongeist Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

:Corviknight: Corviknight - W

---

:Obstagoon: Obstagoon - L
:Sylveon: Sylveon - W
:Terrakion: Terrakion - W

---

:Cinderace: Cinderace - L in general but I can win the situation if I'm on a sub
:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn - W (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 374-441 (106.2 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
:kommo-o: Kommo-o - W
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat - W (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Moongeist Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-Heat: 292-344 (96.3 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO)
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash - W
:Zeraora: Zeraora - L

---

:Aegislash: Aegislash - W
:Ditto: Ditto - :mehowth:
:Excadrill: Excadrill - W

---

:Celebi: Celebi - W
:Clefable: Clefable - W
:Dracovish: Dracovish - W
:Gengar: Gengar - Depends on speedtie
:Gyarados: Gyarados - W
:hippowdon: Hippowdon - W
:Keldeo: Keldeo - W
:Kyurem: Kyurem - W
:Melmetal: Melmetal - W
:toxapex: Toxapex - W

---

:Dracozolt: Dracozolt - W
:Dugtrio: Dugtrio - L
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl - 50/50
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon - W
:Indeedee: Indeedee - Depends if Indeedee is scarfed but W
:Jellicent: Jellicent - W
:Pelipper: Pelipper - W
:Rotom-Mow: Rotom-Mow - W
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar - L

---

:Araquanid: Araquanid - W
:Barbaracle: Babaracle - W
:Centiskorch: Centiskorch - W
:Cobalion: Cobalion - W
:Doublade: Doublade - W
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon - L
:Haxorus: Haxorus - W
:Ludicolo: Ludicolo - W
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz - L
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu - W
:Rhyperior: Rhyperior - W

---

:Accelgor: Accelgor - W
:Barraskewda: Barraskewda - L
:Corsola-Galar: Corsola-Galar - W
:Diggersby: Diggersby - L
:Durant: Durant - W
:Gourgeist-Super: Gourgeist-Super - W
:Jirachi: Jirachi - W
:Mew: Mew - W
:Ninjask: Ninjask - W
:Pangoro: Pangoro - L
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus - W
:Torkoal: Torkoal - W
Type: Null - W
:Weavile: Weavile - L

---

:Arcanine: Arcanine - W
:Bewear: Bewear - W
:Bisharp: Bisharp - L
:Chandelure: Chandelure - W but loses to scarf
:Crawdaunt: Crawdaunt - L
:Drednaw: Drednaw - W
:Hatterene: Hatterene - W
:Incineroar: Incineroar - L (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Incineroar: 351-413 (89 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO, depends on rolls)
:Inteleon: Inteleon - L
:Necrozma: Necrozma - W
:Ninetales-Alola: Ninetales-Alola - W
:Slurpuff: Slurpuff - W
:Toxtricity: Toxtricity - W
:Venusaur: Venusaur - W

So he manages to defeat 53 mons on a list of 68 in total, is that half lol, most of them just depend on a +2 to easily defeat the majority of the current defensive cores.

Ight now that Pult is no longer there, free Gengar. I mean ghost types gather a considerable advantage in this generation, especially in OMs and I'm going to show you once again that a ghost type, Gengar is coming, if I may say "centralize" the current metagame, I don't mean to make a suspect or anything but just to give my personal opinion on him with his more than effective double type.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Moongeist Beam
- Sludge Bomb

Gengar @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt/ Metronome
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Moongeist Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Gengar @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Moongeist Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

:Corviknight: Corviknight - W

---

:Obstagoon: Obstagoon - L
:Sylveon: Sylveon - W
:Terrakion: Terrakion - W

---

:Cinderace: Cinderace - L in general but I can win the situation if I'm on a sub
:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn - W (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 374-441 (106.2 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
:kommo-o: Kommo-o - W
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat - W (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Moongeist Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-Heat: 292-344 (96.3 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO)
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash - W
:Zeraora: Zeraora - L

---

:Aegislash: Aegislash - W
:Ditto: Ditto - :mehowth:
:Excadrill: Excadrill - W

---

:Celebi: Celebi - W
:Clefable: Clefable - W
:Dracovish: Dracovish - W
:Gengar: Gengar - Depends on speedtie
:Gyarados: Gyarados - W
:hippowdon: Hippowdon - W
:Keldeo: Keldeo - W
:Kyurem: Kyurem - W
:Melmetal: Melmetal - W
:toxapex: Toxapex - W

---

:Dracozolt: Dracozolt - W
:Dugtrio: Dugtrio - L
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl - 50/50
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon - W
:Indeedee: Indeedee - Depends if Indeedee is scarfed but W
:Jellicent: Jellicent - W
:Pelipper: Pelipper - W
:Rotom-Mow: Rotom-Mow - W
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar - L

---

:Araquanid: Araquanid - W
:Barbaracle: Babaracle - W
:Centiskorch: Centiskorch - W
:Cobalion: Cobalion - W
:Doublade: Doublade - W
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon - L
:Haxorus: Haxorus - W
:Ludicolo: Ludicolo - W
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz - L
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu - W
:Rhyperior: Rhyperior - W

---

:Accelgor: Accelgor - W
:Barraskewda: Barraskewda - L
:Corsola-Galar: Corsola-Galar - W
:Diggersby: Diggersby - L
:Durant: Durant - W
:Gourgeist-Super: Gourgeist-Super - W
:Jirachi: Jirachi - W
:Mew: Mew - W
:Ninjask: Ninjask - W
:Pangoro: Pangoro - L
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus - W
:Torkoal: Torkoal - W
Type: Null - W
:Weavile: Weavile - L

---

:Arcanine: Arcanine - W
:Bewear: Bewear - W
:Bisharp: Bisharp - L
:Chandelure: Chandelure - W but loses to scarf
:Crawdaunt: Crawdaunt - L
:Drednaw: Drednaw - W
:Hatterene: Hatterene - W
:Incineroar: Incineroar - L (+2 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Incineroar: 351-413 (89 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO, depends on rolls)
:Inteleon: Inteleon - L
:Necrozma: Necrozma - W
:Ninetales-Alola: Ninetales-Alola - W
:Slurpuff: Slurpuff - W
:Toxtricity: Toxtricity - W
:Venusaur: Venusaur - W

So he manages to defeat 53 mons on a list of 68 in total, is that half lol, most of them just depend on a +2 to easily defeat the majority of the current defensive cores.
Can you clarify by W/L?
Obvious it’s Win/Lose for Gengar, but in what context exactly? Can you also clarify if a Pokemon could be a check, since checks are also important in consideration, not just counters.
Is it a 1v1 situation or switching in?
Also it seems like you just the Wins/Loses flip flop between radically different sets, like some Pokemon such as Araquanid would beat Gengar easily using Nasty Plot (Water Shuriken breaks Sub, Aqua Jet does 83%-98% if banded, and can only beat an Araquanid switch in with Life Orb, which recoils) but only barely loses to Specs (which still leaves Gengar with a huge chunk of health gone).

It’s also weird about how limited your selection of Pokemon were and what you selected. Like you mention Accelgor, but not something like Snorlax, Mantine, Umbreon, or Pyukumuku.

And lastly, this just assumes that winning against a lot of Pokemon means that it’s broken. Landorus-T has a history, especially in SM, where it had a set for nearly every Pokemon

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Threat Spotlight: Aegislash Edition
This is a new series I'll be starting aimed at delving deeper in on the prominent threats in the STABmons metagame and some effective ways of checking them, both offensively and defensively.

Aegislash is a super potent threat in the metagame because it's able to run so many terrifying threats, each that have their own separate checks. These multiple sets not only make it so that there isn't a single Aegislash check that beats all of its sets at once, but these sets can also break even its better checks with just a little chip, so keep in mind that you always have to be careful against Aegislash. With that being said, let's take a look at the sets.
4 Attacks
Aegislash @ Spell Tag
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Sunsteel Strike
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

Choice Specs
Aegislash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Steel Beam
- Toxic

Choice Band
Aegislash @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Sunsteel Strike
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
4 Attacks: 4 Attacks Aegislash is probably the best Aegislash set in the meta due to its flexibility by virtue of not being Choice locked, as well as hitting targets with both physical and special attacks. Moongeist Beam is its main STAB attack, and hits ridiculously hard. Sunsteel Strike is used over a special option like Flash Cannon due to being able to 1HKO non-physically defensive Sylveon's. Close Combat is great to catch Dark and Normal types who think they can switch into Aegislash's Moongeist Beam off-guard. However, due to its lack of investment into just one side of special or physical attacks, it is slightly easier to check depending on what you use.
Defensive Checks (Click Sprites for example sets): :bewear::mandibuzz::type-null::incineroar::vaporeon::umbreon:
While this set has less soft checks than the other sets, 4 Attacks Aegi has the most solid defensive counterplay of any of these Aegislash sets. Any Ghost resist that is able to withstand Aegislash's physical attacks is able to beat this set, while Bewear and Mandibuzz are the best for the job. Thanks to Fluffy, Bewear is able to take on Aegislash's physical attacks like they're nothing, even Sunsteel isn't a solid 4HKO. Mandibuzz is another solid check due to its typing and solid defensive stats, and is able to Knock Off its Spell Tag and make Aegi's Ghost STABs much weaker. Incineroar is a bit of both a defensive check and offensive check, but can be worn down and has to watch out for Aegi's Close Combat. Type: Null is a super solid switchin, and while it can't actually do much damage back, it can cripple Aegi or any switchin with Glare. Umbreon and Vaporeon are the two shakier checks in this list, and while neither are outright 2HKOd, they can fall to just about any chip.

Choice Specs: Choice Specs Aegislash is peculiar in that it has probably the least limited counterplay due to one move: Steel Beam. Steel Beam effectively brings Aegislash's switchins to 0, at the cost for a HUGE chunk of its health. This risk-reward aspect makes Specs Aegislash a potent threat that always has a "your switchin dies lol but oh no i die too" button in the back that could turn the tide of any game at the right moment. Regardless, there are switchins to its other STABs, and those are:
Defensive Checks: :incineroar::type-null::snorlax::umbreon:
These checks listed are strongly disregarding Steel Beam for reasons mentioned above, but these 4 are very solid switchins for Aegislash's other STABs. Again Incineroar is more of an offensive check here, but is able to avoid the 2HKO from Moongeist Beam. Snorlax, Umbreon and Type: Null are all super solid switchins to Flash Cannon, though Snorlax and Umbreon are able to threaten Aegislash back. Being Choice locked is an obvious disadvantage for Aegislash here, so having any Ghost immunity and Steel resist can alleviate the damage it causes in the short run, but in the long run its difficult for teams not to get worn down by this heavy hitter without one of these solid checks. In addition, lack of priority makes Specs Aegislash the easiest of these sets to offensively check.

Choice Band: Choice Band Aegislash gains two powerful new STABs to use in STABmons in Sunsteel Strike and Spectral Thief, both of which make it a tough Pokemon to switch into. Typical switchins for Aegislash's physical moves are easily blown away by Banded Sunsteel Strike or Close Combat, while pure physical walls such as Hippowdon rejoice in the fact that this set doesn't carry Moongeist Beam.
Defensive Checks: :hippowdon::toxapex::corviknight::gyarados::ferrothorn:
Band Aegislash checks love that it's solely physical and that it's choice locked. Hippowdon Corviknight and Toxapex are some of the best blanket physical checks in the tier, and they both are able to hard stop Band Aegislash. Corviknight and Toxapex both also have optional Protect moves in King's Shield and Baneful Bunker respectively that are able to scout Aegi's set safely. While Corviknight can't do much back, it is able to U-Turn into an offensive check at the cost of potentially losing a large chunk of health. Gyarados is an odd choice to check Band Aegislash to say the least, but its typing and Intimidate make Gyarados a neat check for quite a few physical threats in the metagame so I thought it was worth mentioning. Ferrothorn is a super shaky check to Aegislash as it greatly fears Close Combat, but if Aegi is choice locked into another move it can indefinitely wall with Strength Sap.

Other Sets: Aegislash does have some other more fringe sets such as Autotomotize Weakness Policy, Swords Dance, or defensive sets with Toxic and King's Shield, but in general there counterplay is mostly the same or even far easier.

General Aegislash Counterplay: Aegislash has some flaws that makes it more manageable in an actual game than it seems on paper. The lack of recovery it has leaves it prone to chip from either hazards or Rocky Helm/Iron Barbs. Along with those forms of chip, Aegislash typically doubles as a team's offensive Sylveon check, so it's easily worn down by Sylveon's Boombursts. Offensive counterplay is pretty widespread for Aegislash due to its lower Speed tier, so if you have some form of getting your offensive checks in safely with pivoting from Corviknight or another slow pivot, Aegislash can be much more managable. The offensive checks listed below are able to both outpace max speed Aegislash, while 1HKOing its Shield forme.
Offensive Checks: :obstagoon::dracovish::rotom-heat::cinderace::arcanine::excadrill::bisharp::chandelure::weavile::mimikyu::hydreigon::dracozolt::tyranitar:
One Pokemon you may be asking why it isn't present on this list is Gengar, but the reasoning for that is Gengar is 1HKOd by Shadow Sneak from both 4 Attacks and Band Aegislash. Obstagoon is the most prevalent offensive check, and is even bulky enough to live some of Aegislash's STAB moves. Cinderace, Rotom-Heat, and Arcanine are solid offensive checks due to their Fire-typing, and are huge threats on their own. Dracovish and even Dracozolt are pretty unique as Aegislash checks as they can both 1HKO with their STAB attacks despite being neutral hits, and both are able to outspeed Aegislash even with Adamant nature. Excadrill is the only offensive Ground-type on this list, but it's a really great offensive check that can fill a bunch of other roles for offense such as Rapid Spin on Moldy sets or a fast sweeper with Sand Rush. Offensive Dark types like Tyranitar, Bisharp, Hydreigon, and Weavile (along with Incineroar and Obstagoon who have been previously mentioned) are underutilized forms of Aegislash counterplay due to the prevalence of Sylveon and Fighting-type Pokemon, but highly effective at this role. Finally, while they are especially shaky offensive checks, Ghost types such as Mimikyu and Chandelure are able to stop Aegislash in a pinch.

How you can use this threat: There's plenty of ways you can use Aegislash on your teams, but here's a couple of fun cores that can maximize its utility and breaking power.
Fairy Wish Passer+Specs Breaker
:clefable:OR:sylveon:+:Aegislash:
Aegislash's checks typically are threatened by Fairy types, and Aegislash greatly appreciates Wish passing, enough said. Sylveon has much more offensive pressure and is able to Rapid Spin, while Clefable is able to WishPass much more safely with Teleport. Aegislash is able to support these two as well as it can switch into some of their checks such as Corviknight and Ferrothorn safely, though this core struggles greatly with strong Fire types like Cinderace. Any Aegislash set pairs well with this core, but I specifically chose Specs Aegislash as it can click Steel Beam more freely if it has a Wish passer in the back.

Band Terrakion+4 Attacks
:terrakion:+:aegislash:
Terrakion is a great partner for Aegislash, as almost all of Aegislash's checks are heavily threatened by Terrakion. Band Terrakion is a super threatening Pokemon in STABmons, with almost all of its checks being Ghost types or let Aegislash in for free. This core is a very potent balance breaking core, so be sure to check it out.

Hazards Seismitoad+4 Attacks Aegislash
:seismitoad:+:aegislash:
Seismitoad is a nice partner for Aegislash in that it can switch into a good portion of Aegislash's offensive checks reliably, particularly Fire-type Pokemon. In additon, it can set either Stealth Rock or Spikes, which Aegislash is able to utilize very well due to its ability to threaten both of the strongest hazard removal options in the tier, Corviknight and Sylveon.

Double Choice Sweepers
:keldeo:+:aegislash:
This core is a pretty fun one that uses double Choice users to break teams. Keldeo is a neat pair with Band Aegislash since it heavily threatens Band Aegislash checks like Hippowdon, though the pair can struggle a little with Toxapex due to Regenerator making it more difficult to wear down.

Defensive Kommo-O+Specs Aegislash
:kommo-o:+:aegislash:
Kommo-O and Aegislash make a great pair for Bulky Offense builds, and are both reliable offensive checks to Sylveon in different ways. Kommo-O may be on the downfall since the Dragapult ban, it is still a solid Stealth Rock user that stops both Aegislash's offensive and defensive Dark-type checks, while Aegislash can help scout Sylveon sets that may be able to break Kommo-O like Tri Attack.

Overall, Aegislash is a really potent threat in the STABmons metagame that is both really fun to use and frustrating to try and check, but I hope I gave some new ideas on how to manage this beast. If you have any other fun Aegislash sets you've been using or thought of a check I may have forgotten, feel free to discuss!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
QUICKBAN UPDATE #7

:ss/dracovish:

It has been quite apparent to the council and many players who actively play STABmons on the ladder and in tournaments that Dracovish has become an absolute menace post-Dragapult ban. The fact that one of it's best revenge killers cannot securely revenge kill it even after a +1 Dragon Dance boost has left the tier struggling to find more defensive means to check it. While such checks do exist, mainly being physically defensive Ferrothorn, Seismitoad, Baneful Bunker + Haze Toxapex, and more niche stuff like Jellicent, Dracovish has completely warped teambuilding to an unhealthy and is not considered healthy by the council. Most notably, Substitute + Dragon Dance sets can help circumvent one of the most common checks in Strength Sap Ferrothorn, further enhancing the degree of unhealthy teambuilding that Dracovish employs in the builder and in practice. As a result from a unanimous vote, Dracovish will be quickbanned effective immediately

Tagging Kris and The Immortal

Expect more updates in the future! STABmons is rapidly evolving and we strive to address things as soon as possible :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
v-create should be banned, it's stronger than fishious rend or bolt beak and can be run on many pokemons (even on super slow pokemons) and I guess flash fire is a requirement in a team to defend against this
also can miss so when you miss a move as powerful as a z move, it's game deciding

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Gonna do some vr noms since the thread kinda dead and the metagame has drastically changed with the Pult ban and also somewhat by the Dracovish ban as well.

S -> A
Corviknight is still one of the best defensive glues / pivots in the tier, but has been dropping out of favor and popularity especially in OMPL after the metagame has progressed further. The rise of threats like Zeraora, Rotom-H, Aegislash and even stuff like Gengar has really made Corvi struggle in performing it's role as an all around blanket check to a variety of threats. Whether it chooses to run fully defensive or specially defensive investment, in can oftentimes struggle to check certain threats it wants to (ie: for instance offensive Sylveon sets 2HKOing Physdef variants after Rocks chip etc...). While a drop to A may seem drastic, I think it appropriately outlines Corviknight's place in the metagame as a solid but not meta defining defensive presence as it once was.

A+ -> S
Now this is an example of a threat that has kept on excelling every metagame shift. Sylveon is truly the defining force of STABmons right now and is so splashable and effective on what it does it's not even funny. Whether it be offensive Rapid Spin, defensive sets, Choice Specs, Calm Mind, Sub sets, etc.... Sylveon can fit and put in work for a lot of teams and really warps teambuilding to a large degree. Teams need at least 1-2 solid switchins to it's Pixilate-boosted Boombursts and the rise of coverage like Tri Attack for Soundproof Kommo-o, Toxic and Heal Bell has really made it even more difficult for checks like Rotom-H and Toxapex to appropriately wear it down. Overall, I think Sylveon's presence (especially when looking at it's usage in this current OMPL) has cemented itself enough to warrant a rise to S at this point.

A -> A+
Gonna lump this two together as there rise kinda goes hand in hand with one another given how common they are paired with eachother. Ferrothorn is at the forefront of the defensive metagame even after the Dracovish ban due to the absurd amount of utility it can bring to teams either through it's dual hazards, Knock Off, coverage moves in Anchor Shot / Grav Apple / Body Press, or generally weakening threats down via Toxic and Strength Sap. It checks so many top tier threats like Zeraora, Obstagoon, Sylveon, and up and coming ones like Dracozolt. I just think the sheer amount of options it can run and how well it does versus the majority of offensive threats warrants a rise. Similarly, Rotom-H has also seen a surge of usage due to the it's great typing that enables it to check shit like Sylv, Zeraora, Sand Rush Excadrill, and opposing Rotom-H. Toxic sets in particular have really been a metagame staple at this point as it can cripple so many of it's commons switchins and the flexibility of it's coverage moves makes facing it always a burden since your Seismitoad can just die to a Freeze Dry if it chooses to carry it. Both top tier defensive pivots imo.

A -> A-
In the contrary, Rotom-W has steadily been decreasing in usage and overall viability as it's oven forme has really been taking most of it's shine away. While offering a water resist is nice and also being able to check threats like Sand Rush + Rock Slide Excadrill better is also appreciated, Rotom-H's typing pairs better with the other defensive pivots that the Rotom formes are usually paired with. Still a good mon, but def not A worthy at this point.

A--> A
Aegi is an absolute menace rn and is definitely one of the best wallbreakers in the tier in the wake of the Dragapult ban. Choice Band, Choice Specs, and the infamous mixed Spell Tag sets all require different switchins and it can really be a hassle to deal with an Aegislash without properly scouting what set its running first. While some pokemon like Toxapex and Mandibuzz have been picking up in usage specifically to deal with the sword, it still can manage to apply a ton of pressure to the majority of teams rn especially given it's good matchup versus threats like Terrakion, Sylveon, and Kommo-o.

Ok this post is already long enough and I am tired/ lazy to extend it further so here are some further changes I would like to see and want others to discuss too:
A -> A-
B+ -> A-/A
A- -> B
B+ -> A-
B -> A-
B -> B+
B -> B-
B- ->B
B- -> B

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
There's been a little bit of a shuffle in tier leadership recently, and yours truly is the new STABmons tier leader.

As we are very close to the next DLC dropping the STABmons council does not plan to make any significant updates either to the tier itself or to our resources prior to that. Once we get our new toys we will do our best to act swiftly where appropriate and think carefully where necessary, all while considering community input.

We are looking for a fifth member for the council. If you are interested, active, and feel you are qualified feel free to PM me here or on Showdown. This decision won't necessarily be made immediately.

in other news...

:ss/cinderace:
Libero is officially released! While Cinderace's most potent tool is still V-Create, the boost in power on its coverage, and to a lesser extent the defensive utility, from changing type is a huge buff.

Cinderace is a definite potential candidate for a ban, but we're going to give it a little time in the new DLC meta to see how it plays.

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom also had its Hidden Ability released. Grassy Surge certainly increased Rillaboom's viability, turning it into a versatile and potent threat. However it hasn't reached Cinderace's levels of scary, for which I am grateful. Rillaboom seems able, at first glance, to be able to run many sets, including Band, Scarf, AV, Bulk Up, Swords Dance, and SubSeed. However it will likely have issues with Ferrothorn, Corviknight, and Toxapex being common.

:inteleon: This thing also had its Hidden Ability released and... nobody cares.

Let us know what you think about these newly buffed mons and what you think their most potent sets will be!

Last edited:
With the release of the DLC having an assortment of new moves, reintroducing new Pokemon, and a few new comers, STABmons will surely get a large change.
First and formost, Urshifu.
While kind of underwhelming and overrated in regular OU, having similar firepower to Terrakion but less speed, a noticeable difference here is Urshifu’s ability Unseen Fist, which ironically works really well with High Jump Kick.
With Unseen Fist, Urshifu will ignore protect for all its own moves, so Protect no longer screws over HJK.
As far as which form you should choose, both actually have identical movepools (which I don’t know if that’s a bug or not).
Regardless, Urishifu-SS will have STAB on its Dark moves to beat Ghosts and Urshifu-RS will a better defensive typing and STAB on its water moves.
This thing in both forms will be pretty difficult to deal with.

However
:Gengar: :Salazzle:
These 2 now have access to Shell Side Arm, Galarian Slowbro’s signature move.
This move essentially is Download the move, but because it’s a special move instead of an ability, it always checks your special attack.
If you face against Chansey, the move will hit on the physical side while still using your better SpA.
Not only does it switch between being Poison Psychic and Poison Psyshock on the fly, but it’s not a bullet and it can also Poison.
Having Gengar/Salazzle or SSA banned won’t be a huge surprise.

:Mamoswine:
Among the Ice types that didn’t get Triple Axel and are not banned, Mamoswine (and Beartic) now get it in STABmons.
Cloyster also gets it, but Skill Link will have 125 BP for Icicle Spear anyways, while Triple Axel will have 120 BP when all moves hit.
For Mamoswine, this means that it has a much stronger Ice STAB.
Sure it has an effective accuracy of 72.9%, but there are moves with worse accuracy and how Triple Axel works, that inaccuracy is more forgiving.

:Scyther:
Unironically, Scyther really benefited from the DLC in STABmons.
With Technician, Dual Wingbeat has 60 BP for each hit, making it a Flying type version of Double Iron Bash, just without the high flinch chance.
Scyther in general also has pretty decent stats. A solid speed tier and good power.

:Dragapult: :Aegislash: :Mimikyu:
A fantastic new move in Poltergeist was added to the DLC, and while it was distributed to plenty of Pokemon, they weren’t for these Ghost types didn’t.
With Poltergeist and Moongeist Beam, Ghosts have very powerful STABs on both sides, and they don’t have Pursuit to worry about.

These 2 now have access to Shell Side Arm, Galarian Slowbro’s signature move.
This move essentially is Download the move, but because it’s a special move instead of an ability, it always checks your special attack.
If you face against Chansey, the move will hit on the physical side while still using your better SpA.
Not only does it switch between being Poison Psychic and Poison Psyshock on the fly, but it’s not a bullet and it can also Poison.
Having Gengar/Salazzle or SSA banned won’t be a huge surprise.
Has it actually been confirmed one way or another that it always draws from Special Attack? Most of what I've heard says that it checks if acting as a regular special attack (SpA->SpD) or a regular physical attack (Att->Def) would be stronger, then uses that.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Huge post incoming!
Gonna break this up into three parts
The council has been discussing the new additions brought to our metagame, and here are some thoughts so far!

:ss/gengar: or
USE THIS FOR STAB POST.jpg

Shell Side Arm's mechanics are still a little up in the air due to insufficient testing, but as we understand it now it uses the users higher offensive stat and the defenders lower defensive stat. This is incredible for breaking non-mixed walls.

However it's only 90 BP and more importantly, Poison type. Poison resists and immunities are common, and there are few Pokemon that can abuse the move well.

The one Pokémon that this understanding of the mechanics pretty inarguably breaks is Gengar. Already a potential suspect pre-DLC due to its incredible power and disruptive potential, we were hoping that it would gain some increased counterplay with this release. What it gained instead is a move that lets it easily bypass Chansey and other Special walls.

+2 252 Atk Gengar Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-459 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Gengar Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 292-345 (41.5 - 49%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This frees up space that might be spent on Substitute (still a great move btw) or Taunt for something like Focus Blast, making Tyranitar less reliable as well.

The council is leaning towards a Gengar suspect. However this is not currently our top priority.

:ss/porygon-z: or
300px-Boomburst_VII.png

Boomburst is notorious for being super powerful and breaking various mons in various OMs. 140 BP with no drawbacks is sort of ridiculous.

With Porygon-Z dropping we have a familiar new abuser in the meta with a whole new level of power. This guy (computer virus? Whatever it is) can 2hko Chansey WITHOUT hitting its weaker defense.

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 298-352 (42.3 - 50%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Porygon-Z can also run Scarf, Nasty Plot [insert various items here], or even Fighting Memory for those pesky Tyranitar which are otherwise the only reliable walls. Nasty Plot can run a variety of sets including 3 attacks, SubNP, Double Dance, NP on a Choice set (this was a thing last gen, but I think it's a bit worse now thanks to more ghosts in the meta) and probably others.

However Porygon-Z without Boomburst is just good, and not crazy insane stresh-let-us-ban-this broken. Other abusers of Boomburst are less standout, however there were some calls for a Sylveon suspect prior to the DLC due both to the centralization of the metagame around it and the difficulty of countering it. Post-DLC the presence of Magearna and Chansey will likely make Sylveon significantly more manageable, both as competition and as counters.

The council is strongly leaning towards a Porygon-Z ban over Boomburst, and consider it a top priority.

:ss/cinderace: or
V-create_VII.png

V-Create has been rather controversial for awhile, and we've recently had two new incredible abusers added in Libero Cinderace and Marowak-Alola. Both have the means to easily bypass many common Fire resists such as Toxapex and Tyranitar and V-Create nukes even the fattest non-resists.

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola V-create vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 300-354 (71.4 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It's difficult to build and play against V-Create spammers, however Cinderace is especially restrictive thanks to its great speed tier and Libero. With its wide coverage and high power level it is effective and restrictive against every almost every playstyle.

We are looking more at V-Create than Cinderace right now. This is decently high in priority for us to deal with.

urshifu-single-strike.png

Wicked Blow is tearing up the metagame right now. It is the equivalent of a 120 BP move with no drawback that ignores Attack drops and Defense boosts. It is an excellent offensive type, forming superb dual type coverage with a number of other types including Fighting, Ground, Dark, Steel, and others. It is also extremely spammable on its own, unlike say Close Combat, as it has no immunities and fairly few good physically bulky resistances. There are a large number of abusers of this move due to Dark types tendency to be both offensive and physical. Tyranitar, Krookodile, Crawdaunt, Obstagoon, and Weavile all hit absurdly hard with this move, several of them being near impossible to wall without niche picks.

This is clearly a case of the move being an issue rather than the abusers.

I don't mention Urshifu because, while proving to be a great mon and abuser of Wicked Blow, a ban on the move would not effect it directly.

This is currently probably our top priority behind Porygon-Z / Boomburst.

A note: while we have been discussing this in the council chat, pretty much all of the meta analysis, as well as the prioritization comes only from me. Some of the things, notably Shell Side Arm, has been pushed by me more than anyone else.

I encourage the other council members to give input of course, and other community members.
A lot of these will have been discussed in the Discord. I'm posting them here too both for posterity and because I think they're cool :3
urshifu-single-strike.png

Urshifu is honestly incredible. I undersold it super hard when I first saw its stats. It can run so many sets, and run them really well. I can see this being broken once we figure out the meta a litte, because it is just so hard to wall.

Urshifu @ Life Orb / Blackglasses / Shed Shell
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Wicked Blow
- U-turn / Poison Jab / Mach Punch
- No Retreat

This is a fairly standard No Retreat set. I prefer Close Combat and U-Turn

Urshifu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Wicked Blow
- U-turn / Parting Shot
- Poison Jab / Iron Head

Scarf Urshifu. While it regrets living in a crowded Speed tier, it still hits hard, and Unseen Fist is actually really nice for a Scarfer because opponents can't use Protect and clones to scout its moves. Urshifu is one of the first really good scarfers I've seen in STABmons this generation, and I'm glad to have it.
:ss/indeedee:
Indeedee (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Boomburst
- Teleport / Trick
- Mystical Fire / Dazzling Gleam

This set is super hardwalled by Tyranitar, but if the opponent doesn't have that it nukes pretty much everything.
252 SpA Choice Specs Indeedee Psychic (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 279-328 (39.6 - 46.6%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
The rest is all normal Indeedee stuff.
:ss/azumarill:
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD (whatever)
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Aqua Jet
- Surging Strikes
- Play Rough

Azumarill works well as a check for Urshifu and the various Dark types which are infesting the metagame. It is decently bulky meaning it can tank a couple Wicked Blows from most Pokemon from full, and has an excellent typing. Flip Turn was amazing for it as it can work as a bulky offensive pivot, hitting stuff hard and going into something unwallable, which your team probably has three of at the moment. Surging Strikes is also really cool to het herd.

The lack of room for coverage on this set is pretty nasty. Once defensive mons start being run again, it might be good to drop a Water move (Surging Strike probably, or Aqua Jet depending on the team, just not Flip Turn) for Superpower or Ice Punch so that Ferrothorn or Amoongus can't just come in and eat your hits quite as freely.
:ss/Porygon-Z:

This thing has a bunch of sets. The big one everyone knows is Specs. 2hkos Chansey after rocks. I'm going to post a couple others because that's really, really not all it can do.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam / Nasty Plot / Psychic
- Trick

This set works both to hit hard and as a revenge killer / cleaner. It's a pretty superb scarfer thanks to its power level, although it has some drawbacks such as a sub-100 speed tier, common immunities to its STAB, and no pivoting. I recommend giving it a try!

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Boomburst
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock / Ice Beam

Time for the first of many Nasty Plot variants! This one runs Sub specifically to make defensive mons even more sad. I think Life Orb is pretty clearly the better option due to enabling the 2hko on Tyranitar at +2, but lefties gives you some longevity. Coverage move is coverage move, it hits things Boom doesn't like Gengar and Kommo-o.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Agility / Rapid Spin
- Boomburst
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball / Psychic / Ice Beam

This set is a Double Dance! Either boost to break or boost to go fast. Rapid Spin doesn't really give you enough of a boost to outpace common Scarfers, but brings some nice utility to the table. Coverage is once again coverage. Can't hit everything well when Normal + Sound is your primary.

Porygon-Z @ Fighting Memory
Ability: Download
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Boomburst
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

This is probably the weirdest set here. It is specifically targeting Tyranitar and Chansey. The Attack EVs guarantee the 2hko on Chansey after Stealth Rock at +1, while Tyranitar is always either 2hko'd or OHKO'd no matter how you EV (depending on the Download boost).

This is the only set I'm running Download on because it's the only set that runs Mixed and can actually use an Attack boost. Not only that, it really wants that boost to KO the aforementioned walls. This set is more a lure than a standard set, but it's still decent, although how usable it is depends on how common Ttar (very common) and Chansey (not very common right now) are.
:ss/Weavile:
Last mon!

Weavile @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

This is really simple. You spam Weavile's incredible STABs against the right mons. Urshifu, especially Rapid Strike, forces you out but gets chipped fairly easily. Wicked Blow and Triple Axel (assuming 3 hits ;-;7) both hit really hard. This is a really fun set.
Here's a core I was building around before the DLC dropped. Will it be as good ¹now? Who knows. I think it likely will be once the tier settles a little.

:ss/cinderace: + :ss/indeedee:

The idea of this core is for Cinderace to be able to spam Psychic + Fire coverage to KO... basically everything. Cinderace's Zen Headbutt is boosted to be super powerful and spammable under Psychic Terrain, and it loves not having to worry about priority given that it outspeeds almost everything unboosted naturally.

Indeedee hits decently hard but tends not to put in a ton of work other than keeping terrain up. It's there because it has Psychic Surge and not because of much else.

:cinderace:
Cinderace @ Life Orb / Choice Band / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- V-create / Fire Lash / Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Bulk Up / Sucker Punch / High Jump Kick

Being able to switch moves is really useful for Cinderace, so I prefer Life Orb to Choice Band. V-Create is the best Fire move, but not having to switch is nice for a mon weak to rocks so the others are worth considering. U-Turn hits Tyranitar, Hydreigon, and is a pivot move. Last move is mostly filler. Sucker Punch might look weird but this set can work when not in Psychic Terrain as well and can revenge Pokemon such as Scarf Gengar

Boots are an option for those who really hate passive damage but the damage drop is noticeable and you lose the incredible damage output which is the reason to use this set.

:indeedee:
Indeedee (M) @ Life Orb / Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psystrike / Expanding Force (maybe? TF does this do?) / Terrain Pulse... obviously I'm adding new moves now and I don't really know what they do but they seem maybe useful.
- Boomburst
- Healing Wish
- Teleport / Mystical Fire

Indeedee can play a slightly more offensive role or a more supportive one depending on your item. In my experience Terrain Extender seemed more effective, but honestly it does about the same thing no matter what. Healing Wish and Teleport are both good for momentum, and Healing Wish can bring Cinderace (or another Pokemon) back to full which is really helpful for continuing your assault.

---
This core appreciates hazard support; removal, setting, and offensive pressure to keep hazards down. Cinderace can get worn down by Stealth Rock + Life Orb really quickly. I paired other fast offensive mons with this core, stuff that appreciated Psychic terrain but wouldn't be too reliant on it. I tried Gengar and Terrakion. I considered Zeraora but didn't test it out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)