Ladder STABmons [OMotM November]

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
xJownage Tbf we still have Keldeo, Sylveon, Mega Bro, and Kyurem-B. So this meta is different.
Having different mones that aren't banned yet doesn't make the meta necessarily that different. And tbh I don't see kyube, keldeo, and megabro staying with our current ban policy. Especially megabro, which is insanely broken except nobody uses it rn. Even at that, these mons don't overall slant the meta at all, and it certainly feels close to the original stabmons.

Also, can you really tell me that any of the three I mentioned are not broken by the definition we have been using? Probably not.

bushes (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Storm Throw

Here is something interesting. Storm Throw is 135 base power and ignores Defense boosts. Powerful!

Would type more, but my left hand is bad. Try it out though.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior

Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Storm Throw

Here is something interesting. Storm Throw is 135 base power and ignores Defense boosts. Powerful!

Would type more, but my left hand is bad. Try it out though.
ive considered using this waaaay back, but techniloom really needs priority, otherwise its way too slow for the current meta. especially when common walls like landorus, skarm, and zapdos, all beat it 1v1. it has to compromise one of its support moves or be easily revenge killed. spore is honestly, the most "expendable" in this situation. with sleep being pretty easy to slap on teams, its honestly not that important for brel anymore(any normal type can use lovely kiss if you dont like stacking grass types) id honestly just use SD with 3 attacks over spore. but eh. ill try both out.

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Storm Throw
Another nice option is Choice Band, with Storm Throw / Mach Punch / Bullet Seed / Rock Tomb or Spore somewhere. It generally catches out stuff like Latias, Skarmory, and Zapdos on the switch but needs a ton of prediction. But yeah, Breloom is a pretty cool mon that's generally held back by its weakness to FakeSpeed, and I do agree that Mach Punch is needed, because it's really really strong. It also appreciates Weavile running Sucker Punch instead of Ice Shard.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 266-316 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 277-328 (85.7 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

while Adamant has far better rolls, and Fist Plate is also an option to reduce recoil.

oh yeah and it beats the ridiculously good Mega Slowbro
no like Slowbro is actually so good
stupidly good

To actually talk about the meta instead of semantics: has anyone tried AV Metagross recently? baconbagon and I both enjoy using it, it seems to be a really effective pursuit trapper with very solid bulk combined with acceptable offensive presence. Anyone else have experience with it?
AV Metagross was considerably better back in the Altaria meta, but I still think it's pretty good and tbh it's a good partner to Breloom lol. Pursuit is really amazing for reliably getting rid of Lati@s, Meloetta, the rare Alakazam, etc. and it really helps Pokemon such as Keldeo, Terrakion, Breloom, and both Mega Charizards. Having a resistance to FakeSpeed and a neutrality to Stoutland's Superpower is also really great to have on an offensive team, as is the ability to revenge kill stuff with Bullet Punch. Being able to live one of Heatran's weaker attacks and Earthquake back, or literally live a Specs Water Spout from Keldeo and Zen Headbutt back is great. Echoing Josh's question, has anyone else tried it?

it's also a really good scarf chandelure partner. broken mon

Last edited:

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
tbh this set is really good (heat???)

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

With eviolite, pgon2 has the defenses equivalent to an 85/143/153 pokemon uninvested in defenses which is nice, and it can sweeps teams sometimes with SD boosts. HP fire hits steels like skarm, scizor, and ferrothorn.

EV

Banned deucer.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Oblivion Wing
- Discharge

Creative/Underrated is dead so let's just keep doing sets here. Anyway, you can probably guess what this one does. It's your typical stallbreaker Thundy with Discharge over Thunderbolt to cause ultimate pain and suffering. The drop in power is modest and I'm wondering if it even misses out on any KOs. The chance to para can save you against stuff like incoming Scarf Heatran or other fasties without designating an entire slot to Thunder Wave.

80 BP (Discharge) vs 90 BP (Thunderbolt) is an increase in firepower of 12.5% -damage variance is 85-100%, which means a low roll on a 90 BP move is equivalent to a max damage roll on a 76.5 BP move. (I'm simplifying and ignoring the "free" 2 BP everything has) Discharge is, of course, higher than 76.5 BP.

This in turn means that anything Discharge can't KO that Thunderbolt can KO is something Thunderbolt is unreliable about KOing.

So it's possible Thunderbolt edges out Discharge in some specific situation -maybe a stallmon target moves from 3HKO to a shot at 2HKO, letting Thunderbolt reasonably reliably actually KO it even in the face of recovery- but I question the utility when Discharge Paralyzing the target fairly reliably is much wider in utility and can potentially effect the same result by causing the target to become Fully Paralyzed -there's not much difference between a 2HKO and a 3HKO where the target missed a turn, and indeed the stallmon scenario I alluded to is probably a lot more concerned about the Paralysis.

Personally, the only reason I'd run Thunderbolt over Discharge (On anything) is if I was trying to avoid Paralyzing things -such as if I was concerned it might prevent me from Toxicing a key wall or Burn a Physical attacker.

tbh this set is really good (heat???)

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

With eviolite, pgon2 has the defenses equivalent to an 85/143/153 pokemon uninvested in defenses which is nice, and it can sweeps teams sometimes with SD boosts. HP fire hits steels like skarm, scizor, and ferrothorn.
Shame it gets walled by Heatran. And it also doesn't 2HKO standard Skarmory or Ferrothorn (or bulky SD Mega Scizor) without a Special Attack boost. I would much sooner just pair it up with Magnezone and run Baton Pass over HP Fire -- it can support your other sweepers and pivot, then sweep when its counters are gone if necessary.

Anyways, I might as well post another thing that's underrated: Mega Ampharos.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice

You will notice that Mega Ampharos gets... roughly jack shit from STABmons rules. What is relevant is that many of the things that Mega Amphy checks have gotten a lot more threatening. It's a solid switch-in to Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Magnezone, Mega Blastoise (without Ice Beam), Rotom-Wash/Heat, Heatran (save for invested Earth Power), Thundurus-Therian, Talonflame, Raikou, Slowking, and Chandelure.

You have a few options for the last slot. Dragon Pulse is more reliable and powerful than the other options. Focus Blast hits Steel-types. Hidden Power Ice hits Ground-types and Flying-types that Mega Ampharos wants to stay in on.

So basically Mamphy checks Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y at the same time, which is big IMO because what else can even do that? SpD Mega Charizard X, which is weak to rocks and doesn't resist Flying or Water? Pish. Mega Ampharos is also capable of switching in repeatedly on a lot of bulky mons and pivoting out without getting worried about status or chip damage. Its flaws are obvious, I think, so make sure you're using Mega Ampharos to fulfill particular functions for your team, not necessarily building around it.

Shame it gets walled by Heatran. And it also doesn't 2HKO standard Skarmory or Ferrothorn (or bulky SD Mega Scizor) without a Special Attack boost. I would much sooner just pair it up with Magnezone and run Baton Pass over HP Fire -- it can support your other sweepers and pivot, then sweep when its counters are gone if necessary.

Anyways, I might as well post another thing that's underrated: Mega Ampharos.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice

You will notice that Mega Ampharos gets... roughly jack shit from STABmons rules. What is relevant is that many of the things that Mega Amphy checks have gotten a lot more threatening. It's a solid switch-in to Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Magnezone, Mega Blastoise (without Ice Beam), Rotom-Wash/Heat, Heatran (save for invested Earth Power), Thundurus-Therian, Talonflame, Raikou, Slowking, and Chandelure.

You have a few options for the last slot. Dragon Pulse is more reliable and powerful than the other options. Focus Blast hits Steel-types. Hidden Power Ice hits Ground-types and Flying-types that Mega Ampharos wants to stay in on.

So basically Mamphy checks Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y at the same time, which is big IMO because what else can even do that? SpD Mega Charizard X, which is weak to rocks and doesn't resist Flying or Water? Pish. Mega Ampharos is also capable of switching in repeatedly on a lot of bulky mons and pivoting out without getting worried about status or chip damage. Its flaws are obvious, I think, so make sure you're using Mega Ampharos to fulfill particular functions for your team, not necessarily building around it.
Had this discussion on Showdown! but Amphy is pointless. Completely outclassed by Rotom-H and really bad overall. Losing to Kyurem-B sucks, relying on RestTalk (Rotom has Pain Split) and an inferior typing imo makes it so much worse. Plus you can't use another Mega in the process. You can argue that Stealth Rock sucks for it... And? With so much Rapid Spin and Defog in the tier, it becomes a non-issue. I'd rather use Rotom-Heat any day.

Reactions: OM
Had this discussion on Showdown! but Amphy is pointless. Completely outclassed by Rotom-H and really bad overall. Losing to Kyurem-B sucks, relying on RestTalk (Rotom has Pain Split) and an inferior typing imo makes it so much worse. Plus you can't use another Mega in the process. You can argue that Stealth Rock sucks for it... And? With so much Rapid Spin and Defog in the tier, it becomes a non-issue. I'd rather use Rotom-Heat any day.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-H in Sun: 147-173 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-H in Sun: 127-150 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

That is what Mega Ampharos provides over Rotom-Heat. And a Water resist, as well.

0 SpA Rotom-W Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-H: 126-150 (41.4 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If losing to Kyurem-Black is a point of contention, Rotom-Heat doesn't beat it without a free switch either.

252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 199-234 (65.4 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Plus with Rotom-Heat, you can't use Rotom-Wash (a notable point, because R-Wash is great), and Rotom-Heat doesn't appreciate status. The niches are definitely divergent enough to warrant using Mega Ampharos over Rotom-Heat in certain situations.

I think the bigger problem with Mega amphy isn't that it doesnt provide utility, but there are just so many other megas that can provide more. Offensively Mega Ampharos really can't compete with other mega slots or even electric types and defensively there are better megas and something like rotom-h, while not perfectly checking the same mons, does a very similar job. There are just other options to Amphy that are less restrictive on the rest of your team structure

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-H in Sun: 147-173 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-H in Sun: 127-150 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

That is what Mega Ampharos provides over Rotom-Heat. And a Water resist, as well.

0 SpA Rotom-W Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-H: 126-150 (41.4 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If losing to Kyurem-Black is a point of contention, Rotom-Heat doesn't beat it without a free switch either.

252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 199-234 (65.4 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Plus with Rotom-Heat, you can't use Rotom-Wash (a notable point, because R-Wash is great), and Rotom-Heat doesn't appreciate status. The niches are definitely divergent enough to warrant using Mega Ampharos over Rotom-Heat in certain situations.
What does switching into a 150 base power move, with STAB, in the Sun, have to do with anything? Rotom-H is likely to avoid the 2HKO anyways in this situation, so I don't understand why you're comparing them. Being a Water resist sounds nice and all, but all of the common Water-types beat both of these Pokemon anyways. Keldeo 2HKOes Mega Ampharos with Secret Sword, Azumarill OHKOes with Play Rough, Mega Slowbro is beaten by both typically anyways, Gyarados hits both with Earthquake, Manaphy with Ice Beam, and even Quagsire wins with Earthquake. All of these aren't just cherry-picked either, they're common moves and all of them overwhelm the supposed Water resist. Switching in once is nice, but getting whittled down and having to use Rest really sucks.

Rotom-H actually does beat Kyurem-B. Nuzzle cripples it, and Blue Flare breaks its sub, plus Icicle Spear doesn't 2HKO on average until +2 with complete investment, an Adamant nature, and a Life Orb, and even that's rare. I'd say Rotom-H has a very high likelyhood of beating through Kyurem-B every time. Dragon Claw isn't a valid point since it's a terrible option to use. There's no room to ever run it, and I guess if you're luring it that's cool, but that's just how the game goes.

It's not notable as not being able to use a Mega. Rotom-W is nice and all, but Rotom-H is still worth it to check different threats. Neither of the Rotom formes appreciate status, so I don't understand your point here.

I'm sorry, but I do not see a niche that makes Mega Ampharos viable enough to use over really anything.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How is this thing?

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Eruption
- Blue Flare
- Dark Pulse

Cant handle tran so good but its still a fine wallbreaker.

EV

Banned deucer.
So last month's stats are out. We had a nice bump in activity--albeit nothing huge--so let's keep it up.

The most used Pokemon in January was...
Diggersby
Mega Altaria
Mega Scizor

Heatran!

Diggersby and Mega Altaria's bans would explain why those two weren't at the top. Mega Scizor also didn't rank as high because Mega Alt was the preferred mega for so long and then that shifted (somewhat surprisingly) to Mega Lopunny, which was able to replace Diggersby too. Heatran, however, has been consistently good, as it was the best EQ-less Mega Alt check plus it checks Scizor, Kyurem-B, Sableye, Serperior, and other common threats to varying degrees.

So what's your favorite Heatran set?

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
I can't actually post it rn, but it is stealth rock, doom desire, Kings shield, lava plume, with Max spdef and hp with some custom Speed creep. It forces so many switches and allows you to set up rocks on those switches and get chip damage and burns with lava plume as well as dropping them attack stats. Très godly.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
ive actually been a fan of its shift gear set. with sacred fire, iron head/gear grind, and KS or eq, its very fun, and can really pack a punch for people who underestimate its power. and the 50% burn chance really annoys common "shift gear" switchins. EQ is good for heatran. but KS helps give it setup chances. its really up to prefrence.

Heatran @ leftovers / Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe or 172 Hp / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Sacred Fire
- Gear Grind/ iron head
- earthquake / Kings Shield

EV's can be either or, really. max/max lets you outpace certain scarfers at 105 or lower. you could go max speed to outpace 110's like keldeo and terrak, but you lose to keld anyways, and terrak usually prefers choice band, and is pretty much afraid to switch in, otherwise scarf >105 is very rare and most of them lose to heatran 1v1 anyways (raikou, latios etc). heatran can get quite a few turns to setup. the other EV's are specificly for outspeeding Loppuny at +2. which lets you have effective speed, while also giving you the ability to utilize heatrans bulk a bit better.

is it the best heatran set? lmao hell no. is it fun and effective? yes.

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran sets? Well I prefer it's boosting Doom desire set because I'd rather have a +1 or +2 Heatran Doom Desire over a Blue Flare.

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
EVs: 240 HP / 12 SpA / 248 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest / Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Fiery Dance
- Earth Power / Stealth Rock
- Doom Desire

Speed Creeps other bulky heatran so it doesn't get demolished by Earth Power and Can Earth Power First, Fiery Dance is boosting, Doom Desire breaks stall, King's Shield blocks HJK from M-Lop and allows a single stall turn for the Doom Desire hit.

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's honestly pretty disturbing that Mega Scizor is #25 in usage.

Anyway right now Azumarill is at #14, Mega Charizard X is at #26, Mega Slowbro is at #28, Rotom-W is at #31, and of course Keldeo is high at #12 so I'd probably be using Solar Beam Heatran.

Heatran @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Taunt / Stealth Rock

Magma Storm Heatran is a pretty classic OU stallbreaking set, but I think it's pretty nice generally given the prevalence of bulky Water-types and defensive Landorus-T. Magma Storm's straight up 100 Base Power chips things really well in conjunction with its residual damage:

252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 195-231 (51 - 60.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 89-105 (27.5 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 93-111 (35.4 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

but I feel like Solar Beam is really good, because people are using Slowbro and Rotom-W as their checks to Fire-types. This set also handles the evil stallfish Quagsire well. If your prediction skills are really good you can also catch Starmie, Keldeo, and Azumarill on the switch. Earth Power is important for opposing Heatran and Dragon Dance + Roost Mega Charizard X. Taunt stops setup sweepers and Transform Chansey, which is great versus stall, and Stealth Rock is a good filler as Heatran has the offensive ability to force switches. However, Air Balloon with Blue Flare is still the better set for dedicated offensive Stealth Rock-setting Heatran.

I generally find this set more effective at breaking down a team than simply slapping Doom Desire on specially defensive sets, although that works for some teams. Magma Storm's shoddy accuracy is really annoying and troublesome though

Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 216 Atk / 116 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam
- Diamond Storm

fun tyranitar set. the basic idea is to use tyranitar to lure in landorus-t/garchomp and eliminate is your teammate of choice (for example, mega lopunny or terrakion) and also use its great utility in stealth rock + knock off. being able to knock off leftovers is really nice, and choice scarfs to prevent revenge killing. ice beam with the special attack investment ohkoes defensive lando-t after rocks, and the ev spread outspeeds defensive lando-t as well, plus you have shuca berry. so really, this set is just anti-lando-t in general aha. but with lando-t being on like nearly every other team, it's not a "too-specific" kind of lure. figured i'd post it here since it seems the creative/underused sets thread is dead, and i don't want to necrobump it. :p

e; you can run taunt / fire blast > dstorm also. depends on the team.

EV

Banned deucer.

Thundurus @
Ability: Defiant / Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Superpower / Taunt

I'm still trying this one out, so I'm not sure what I like best yet. Defiant sounds like a no-brainer but Prankster has its merits, too. Namely you can Taunt Sableye before a Wisp, Parting Shot, Topsy, etc forcing it to rely on the weak Knock Off (unless it has Foul Play i_i). Prankster also allows you to Bulk Up and Roost on faster opponents, but that hasn't proved as fruitful yet. Defiant has more practical applications for a physical attacker, giving you a +1 from Landorus-T's Intimidate and it ignores King's Shield drops.

Other options include Substitute, which remedies Sableye-related issues while allowing you to keep Defiant, plus it helps block FakeSpeed. Bolt Strike sounds appetizing, but having extra utility or Fighting coverage is generally more helpful.

Funnily enough this set struggles against opposing Special Thundurus who resist your coverage and can 2HKO with Thunderbolt. Prankster Roosting on the Tbolt will wear them down with Life Orb recoil, but then it becomes a game of who can Taunt first. Without Superpower most Steels and Rocks will prove difficult to break, some important ones being Heatran and Tyranitar. However, even without Superpower Ferrothorn is complete setup bait with Substitute or Taunt, so don't be afraid to stay in on it and setup.

canno

formerly The Reptile
I would probably run Drill Peck over Acrobatics and use an item if you really don't want to run Brave Bird / Dragon's Ascent, as it lets you use your item (hell Sky Plate Drill Peck is stronger iirc)

LO Drill Peck is effectively 104 power (Sky Plate is 96). Acro is 110 and is Knock Off proof. Lefties BB might be better though, unless you have to break Chansey without Superpower. It gives you more bulk when you're setting up and more power afterwards. I don't know if hits any benchmarks though.

Sorry for the double post, but I got thinking about STABmons some more.

I really think Shift Gear Jirachi and Lovely Kiss Lopunny need to be looked at. They're on almost every single top team and they rely completely on luck.

I don't understand why anyone would want SG Jirachi in the game. The only good things that it does are check KyuB and check ESpeed. There are a few pokemon that it can't reliably break past (namely Heatran and Slowbro), but the rest of its checks either get wrecked by coverage or just flinched to death. At the expense of sounding really salty, I refuse to ladder anymore just because I've lost to this so many times, not because I played poorly or because my opponent did something crazy, but just because it flinched 3-4 of my team to death for free. There's no counterplay to be had (don't say thundy/sableye because lum + ice punch/play rough/moonblast breaks them, and Jirachi doesn't lose anything by switching out anyways). In my eyes, it doesn't really matter how hard I prepare for Jirachi if it comes down to almost nothing but coin flips and Kings Shield 50/50s.

I hate to use this word, but Lovely Kiss is uncompetitive in a similar vein. I have several replays of me against top level players, where Lopunny the whole game comes down to a 33% roll on sleep turns. Lopunny loses to Gyarados, Landorus, and M-Slowbro UNLESS it gets a 3 turn sleep. They all get 2hko'd by a +4 ESpeed, so nothing special is needed to break them.

"Why don't you use two of the aforementioned pokemon?"
That's ridiculous and I shouldn't need two defensive checks for one pokemon, especially when its offensive checks are prone to getting bopped by Fire Punch or Drain Punch.

"Why don't you sleep fodder something first?"
To reliably sleep fodder something, I have to sack something, put in my defensive check, double out on Lovely Kiss, and then triple back in to Lopunny, which puts me at 1 fainted, 1 asleep, and 2 rounds of hazard damage on my wall for no gain. Or maybe they just don't run Lovely Kiss and I take a whole lot of damage for literally nothing.

"Why do you just sit there and let it set up?"
Because I have a 2/3 chance of getting a free kill, and switching out doesn't actually put me in a much different situation than just staying in and playing the odds.

I think Lovely Kiss is really the problem here. It's quite similar to Dark Void: it's a VERY fast, accurate enough sleep move that hits indiscriminately and has really wide distribution.
"you letting it setup on you?", or,
"why are you letting it setup on you?", or,

EV

Banned deucer.
Suspects?

Potential Pokemon Suspects
  • Mega Lopunny is fast and has excellent coverage. With just 2 STAB moves, Swords Dance, and Lovely Kiss it can setup on its counters and then proceed to sweep. Other sets capitalize on the Fake Out + Extreme Speed combo to revenge kill weakened or frail threats and Ice Punch to deal with Landorus-T. It can overwhelm teams once its checks and counters are weakened, which is further exacerbated by Lovely Kiss's utility.
  • Mega Scizor has a superb defensive typing and access to the coveted Shift Gear. Those two moves in conjunction allow it to set up on even some of the tiers best Pokemon while Roosting off the damage before sweeping through the opponent's team with incredibly devastating STAB Gear Grinds. Gear Grind is so powerful it can OHKO Pokemon that resist the move. As such it typically only needs to designate one moveslot to coverage in either STAB Pin Missile (or another Bug move), Knock Off, or Superpower.
  • Jirachi shares access to Shift Gear with Scizor allowing it to double its Speed and increase its Attack 50%. Because it has a solid natural Speed it doesn't need to invest much in order to outspeed relevant threats, letting it invest heavily in bulk to take revenge attempts better. Thanks to Serene Grace its STAB Iron Heads and Heart Stamps have a 60% chance to flinch the target, rendering them helpless a majority of the time as Jirachi goes on the assault.

Potential Move Suspects
  • Lovely Kiss is a Normal-type move with a 75% chance to put the foe to sleep, which is only slightly less than the banned move Dark Void. A lot of Normal Pokemon are able to abuse their STAB with limited coverage, allowing them to slap on Lovely Kiss with little to no consequence. Don't be surprised when Adaptability Porygon-Z sleeps your Ghost or Steel-type switch-in, or when Ursaring uses it to disable Landorus-T or Ferrothorn before setting up Belly Drum.
  • Shift Gear adds +2 Speed and +1 Attack to any Steel-type Pokemon should they want it, transforming threats such as Scizor, Jirachi, and Excadrill into fearsome sweepers in just one turn. These threats are naturally harder to revenge kill as well due to their resistance to the common Fake Out + Extreme Speed tactic to remove boosting Pokemon making them much harder to stop once they get going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)