Ladder STABmons [OMotM November]

I preferred the old setup personally, but whatever these things happen. Only time will tell if it actually helps things.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Gear Grind
- Pin Missile
- Superpower / Baton Pass / Roost

Not quite as good as the old Shift Gear set, but still good late game. Agility doubles Speed, letting Scizor outrun everything without a Choice Scarf. Gear Grind is the main STAB, with Technician giving it the power of a STAB Head Smash. If Pin Missile hits 5 times it will hit on par with a STAB V-create. Superpower hits Heatran; Baton Pass can be used if you find yourself walled; Roost brings reliable recovery. EVs maximise Speed and power.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
One set I have really been liking is this:

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Fusion Bolt

It sucks that it can't DD and have better STAB, but this CB set has still been putting in tons of work for me. There is not much that would like to take Icicle Crashes, and it even has Ice Shard for priority. I think Kyreum-B would be a top (balanced) threat in this new meta.

^ Personally I'd use a Life Orb on that set with Roost over Outrage, but whatever works for you.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Spore

Works much the same as standard CM Virizion, but if you come up against something which walls you just take it out of commission with Spore. Probably not the best set, but works surprisingly well.

So about Malamar... Hyper space fury, psycho boost, superpower, filler has so much potential. Stored power, rest, assault vest... Perfect coverage and damage output

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I just noticed this in older thread:

Diggersby - 2 B, 1 DNB, 2 abstain

Technically, in other voting thread, abstaining means that you are unsure of the mons placement, and therefore your vote will automically be counted as a DNB vote. I am too lazy to fine the exact thread that mentioned this, but I swear that this is what I read. So, theoretically Diggersby should be legal, as the votes lead to 3 DNB to 2 B?

I am not sure if there is a different philosophy in STABmons council voting, so I am just asking to clarify.

Eevee General

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I just noticed this in older thread:

Diggersby - 2 B, 1 DNB, 2 abstain

Technically, in other voting thread, abstaining means that you are unsure of the mons placement, and therefore your vote will automically be counted as a DNB vote. I am too lazy to fine the exact thread that mentioned this, but I swear that this is what I read. So, theoretically Diggersby should be legal, as the votes lead to 3 DNB to 2 B?

I am not sure if there is a different philosophy in STABmons council voting, so I am just asking to clarify.

Eevee General
The whole point of abstain is that it doesnt count.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I've never been comfortable with abstains in tiering, I think Hollywood or someone said it somewhere but if you're not sure if something is broken, you should vote no ban and then if the mon is an issue later, you deal with it then.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I've never been comfortable with abstains in tiering, I think Hollywood or someone said it somewhere but if you're not sure if something is broken, you should vote no ban and then if the mon is an issue later, you deal with it then.
Ya I think it was in one of the NU suspect tests where this was stated...

canno

formerly The Reptile
That's a stupid hard code, it makes no sense to hard code that move lol. Either way, psycho boost looks fun for Malamar
I assume that its hard coded on Hoopa-U because that's how it works in-game (Smeargle can't use Hyperspace Fury iirc)

Psycho Boost looks fun, but Malamar's stats are simply too poor to be a good sweeper. Its easy to revenge kill, and it takes time for it to become powerful. 68 Special attack is very, very bad. Overall it would be better if you completely avoided using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EV
Electrify Zebstrika is a nice rehash of the Electrify Heliolisk meta in Mix n Mega, though it only gets 3 special attacks to abuse (outside of stab): Thunderbolt, Overheat, Signal Beam, Hidden Power [Ice]

However with the grand scheme of Fake-Out and Extremespeed users, this mon would serve mostly as a stall breaker (provided the stall teams have no priority)

Electrify Zebstrika is a nice rehash of the Electrify Heliolisk meta in Mix n Mega, though it only gets 3 special attacks to abuse (outside of stab): Thunderbolt, Overheat, Signal Beam, Hidden Power [Ice]

However with the grand scheme of Fake-Out and Extremespeed users, this mon would serve mostly as a stall breaker (provided the stall teams have no priority)
Idk if it could work very well as a stallbreaker...a well-managed stall team can just switch around and PP stall it.

Idk if it could work very well as a stallbreaker...a well-managed stall team can just switch around and PP stall it.
32 PP is above average in my opinion, and this set is based on 50/50s anyway. If they're switching a bunch, then start dropping tbolts. You also wall pretty much any mons slower than you, which is the purpose.

32 PP is above average in my opinion, and this set is based on 50/50s anyway. If they're switching a bunch, then start dropping tbolts. You also wall pretty much any mons slower than you, which is the purpose.
Surely a good stall team would have two things that can tank it, right? When I look into stallbreakers, I want something that can stop the opponent from recovering or clericking. If it's not at least doing that, then you're not so much breaking stall as you are halting it. And that's always temporary.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but an unboosted Zebstrika just really isn't very threatening to Stall. Chansey, Quagsire, Clefable, Porygon2, Sableye-Mega, Latias...All of these fear absolutely nothing from a Tbolt/Overheat/HP Ice Zebstrika and all of them have reliable recovery and relevant other uses for stall.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Does Transform get eaten by Electrify Motor Drive? If it does then Chansey eats Zebstrika alive. Not to mention that, if you see a Zeb on their team you know what set it is, since it basically only has 1 viable set (I don't think Bolt Strike is viable at all - still has no coverage)

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Bolt Strike is illegal. Remember the rule change? And you have to run Electrify on a Lightning Rod mon to actually have power. So it won't be using Motor Drive. (It gets both so I can see where you got confused.) But either way I don't think it's broken. Zebstrika is way too slow.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Bolt Strike is illegal. Remember the rule change? And you have to run Electrify on a Lightning Rod mon to actually have power. So it won't be using Motor Drive. (It gets both so I can see where you got confused.) But either way I don't think it's broken. Zebstrika is way too slow.
I meant like Bolt Strike on its own set without Electrify as a potential other set (which I was saying is not viable)

Also I did not know that it also got Lightning Rod. Why does it get 2 electric immunity ability lmao

EV

Banned deucer.
If you want a fast offensive Electric-type use Raikou, Thundurus, Mega Manectric, or Heliolisk. And anyway Zebstrika's niche to me is mixed coverage (Bolt Strike, Overheat, and a Hidden Power) not a gimmick like Electrify. Fishing for a Lightning Rod boost is only going to work once and good luck sweeping with that +1 80 Special Attack (it has 116 Speed so no reason to run Motor Drive.)

Raikou is a great Assault Vest user tho its coverage is a bit poor. I've been trying Leftovers Calm Mind which is also good at beating Thundurus and grants some passive recovery to ease switches while also punishing the opponent's switch-in with +1 attacks.

Thundurus is Thundurus.

Mega Manectric brings Overheat or Flamethrower, Intimidate, and is a Knock Off sponge.

Heliolisk has Shell Smash or all-out attack sets with Boomburst, Volt Switch, Surf, and (usually) Icicle Plate Judgment, but Flame Plate is nice for Ferrothorn.

Use these before you use Zebstrika. Hell, use Jolteon or Raichu before you use Zebstrika for the same gimmick.

If you want a fast offensive Electric-type use Raikou, Thundurus, Mega Manectric, or Heliolisk.
Yeah I was just going in the way of using Electrify to completely wall your opponent. I don't know if Transform is affected by Electrify, but things like Tailwind and Trick Room are, which is ridiculous, and I was just bringing up a point about preventing your opponent from doing anything

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
So there won't be unbanning of mons like Deoxys Speed and Defense, or Aegislash? (Darkrai can stay Uber...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)