Stall Stopper: Belly Drum Discussion

Earlier today, I was thinking of the move belly drum, and how awesome it is, I mean it can turn the game around in one move. Then I was thinking how fun it would be to make a belly drum team, I mean there would be no setting up of spikes or stealth rock, if you keep on maximizing your attack, and with some wish support it should be deadly. The basic set is: Sub, Belly Drum attack attack with salac.

Anyways here are the pokes that can belly drum:
Snorlax (Pretty Bulky)
Poliwhirl (Faster than the other two)
Marowak (Kinda Slow, but really powerful)
Smeargle (Unlimited possibilities)
Politoad (Hypnosis and Belly Drum)
Poliwrath (Hypnosis and Belly Drum)
Linoone (Belly Drum and Extreme Speed)
Hariyama (Belly Drum and Bullet Punch)
Charizard (Most Common with Belly Drum and good speed)
Clefable (Charm, Softboiled and Belly Drum)
Slowbro (Belly Drum and Slack off)
Lickilicky (Belly Drum and Explosion!!!)
Azumarill (Belly Drum and in shoddy aqua jet)
Slowking (Belly Drum and Slack Off)

Most of these are slow and bulky, but some are fast. Belly Drumming is risky but with a huge payoff!!! So discuss!

bellyjet is banned. there's this guy on shoddy who always gets me with his ninjask + poliwrath though. speed boost, then hypnosis and belly drum. insane.

Clefable seems like the most interesting option, IMO. Its movepool is the size of the pacific ocean, and it's the only one on the list with a healing move. It's also immune to Spikes, SR, poison, burn, etc., so there'll be no passive damage messing up your sweep. I also already mentioned its instant healing in the form of Softboiled (I think it also gets Recover, don't even consider moonlight with so much SS running around). It's bulky enough to take a hit or two, and with such a vast physical movepool, it should be able to run a variety of attacking combinations from pseudo BoltBeam in the form of the elemental punches, although I'm not sure of their legality with BD (Egg Group move + Tutor moves). Anyways, sounds interesting at least.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
@TheArrow2: The elemental punches ARE legal with Belly Drum since it was able to have Belly Drum as an egg move in ADV.

Heh, don't discount Poliwhirl from the list. It may not have the best attack there, but it is one of the fastest ones at 90 base speed which is a lot faster than the other Polis. A fast Hypnosis + Belly Drum is extremely deadly, although the big problem is that it only gets up to 916 - 1004 attack after a belly drum, which is still deadly, but is probably the lowest of the viable belly drummers. I've used one of these guys before, and I've seen how deadly they can be!

Heh, techically, Slowbro/king are two belly drummers that get recovery moves, but they're awfully slow to do the job well.

Linoone and Charizard are definitely the deadliest drummers there, Linoone because of STAB Extremespeed with Belly Drum, and Charizard because its power can still boost even after the belly drum because of Blaze.

that actually would be quite interesting. i have never used a belly drum pokemon myself, so this seems very diiferent.

Linoone and Charizard are definitely the deadliest drummers there, Linoone because of STAB Extremespeed with Belly Drum, and Charizard because its power can still boost even after the belly drum because of Blaze.
Don't forget that Linoone has gluttony, which allows Berries to activate at 50% life.

I was playing around with a team with 4 drummers, and its not. that hard to drum, I lost tho because I rushed in making the team....

IMO, the two best Belly Drummers are also the most frail and has the most likely chance to get KO'd by neutral attacks etc. However every other Belly Drummer is most likely too slow and will forego using Salac, so any random Infernape comes in after a kill or something and kills it off anyway. More of not a good idea unless you're playing a whole paralysis team or some shit.

@TheArrow2: The elemental punches ARE legal with Belly Drum since it was able to have Belly Drum as an egg move in ADV.

Heh, don't discount Poliwhirl from the list. It may not have the best attack there, but it is one of the fastest ones at 90 base speed which is a lot faster than the other Polis. A fast Hypnosis + Belly Drum is extremely deadly, although the big problem is that it only gets up to 916 - 1004 attack after a belly drum, which is still deadly, but is probably the lowest of the viable belly drummers. I've used one of these guys before, and I've seen how deadly they can be!

Heh, techically, Slowbro/king are two belly drummers that get recovery moves, but they're awfully slow to do the job well.

Thanks, Bologo.

Okay, I forgot about Slack Off, and although those two are probably the bulkiest there. . . do they have two decent attacks to use?

Doesn't Linoone have Gluttony, as well, for consuming Berries at 50% HP? That'd be EVIL. The thing about Linoone is, though. . . Well, will it ever get a chance to BD? The reason Charizard's so effective is because it can come in on Grass types and make them shit their pants and run while it sets up. How many times has a Linoone come in on you, and you've gone, "OH SHIT, LINOONE! RUN, BITCHES, RUN!"? Seriously. About the only thing it's coming in on are Choiced Ghost attacks. Blissey will just T-Wave it, sweepers will just KO it, and physical walls probably aren't being OHKO'd by it even after a BD, so. . . How deadly can it really be?

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Of course Linoone does require a bit of support from something such as a good Encore or a Screen up.

It can make things run when it's about to revenge kill something with Extremespeed, plus there are a lot of frail things that would hate to get an extremespeed to their face while they're trying to setup. Then there's also any ghosts that destroy by Shadow Claw, well besides Gengar.

Very true, back in advance I used the Jirachi and Linoone combo, Jirachi would set up both screens, and then I'd wait for it to die or switch to breloom who could use Belly Drum, and then he swept. Also Magnezone could help you by trapping and killing steels. So, Jirachi, Linoone, Magnezone, Wall, Wall, Support.

Linoone probably isn't getting around Skarm anytime soon, though, or any other steel type. The only thing I see it taking out are Sweepers, which won't be stupid enough to switch in anyways. It can outspeed pretty much everything with a 50% health Salac Boost, too, but I honestly can't picture it gettign past the common walls. I'm not biased against the thing or anything, but I just honestly cannot see it sweeping anything unless their physical wall is down (but that could be said for any physical sweeper).

If I'm going to make a commitment like Belly Drum, where you only get one chance, I want to be able to sweep their whole team or most of it.

(And again, the whole "take out their wall first" can be said for any sweeper)

what about smeargle? not only can it use belly drum and exteme soeed away, but it can also PASS belly drum to something. a bellypass to a medicham (maybe cradily for suction cups?) is a big fat GG.

what about smeargle? not only can it use belly drum and exteme soeed away, but it can also PASS belly drum to something. a bellypass to a medicham (maybe cradily for suction cups?) is a big fat GG.
Thanks for reminding me about smeargle,, but his defenses and speed really let him down but.................
Smeargle@ Lum Berry/Salac
252 speed and attack
Belly Drum
Extreme Speed
Substitute/Baton Pass
Spore

Come in on something slow like a wall, spore, belly drum, then attack or pass away to your mix arcanine/Lucario, CS Salamence. :)

Very true, back in advance I used the Jirachi and Linoone combo, Jirachi would set up both screens, and then I'd wait for it to die or switch to breloom who could use Belly Drum, and then he swept. Also Magnezone could help you by trapping and killing steels. So, Jirachi, Linoone, Magnezone, Wall, Wall, Support.
Memento-pluff can do effectivly the same thing except be significantly faster at it. Memento == die and cut the defenses of the opponent by 2.

Belly Drum is terrible in DP. There are just SO many ways to stop it now. Tons of new priority moves, especially Sucker Punch, ruin your day. Swampert/Suicine/Hippowdown/Weezing/Skarm can Phaze almost every BDer out there. Random Focus Sashers crush you. ANYTHING with Choice Scarf kills you. The loss of a Shadow Ball cripples lots of BDers, as does the loss of Hidden Powers. I was a true lover of this move in Advance but it's just awful now.

Belly Drumming with the right pokemon can be a very useful strategy. Most teams aren't specifically prepared for a Belly Drummer and can be swept with a little setup. Charizard is really the best, as it can make some pokes switch out at least. Linoone not so much. Other drummers just fail, mainly based on speed.

Charizard can OHKO just about anything after a Belly Drum, the only things that have a chance are fire resists. And depending if Zard took Dragon Claw/EQ/Return, it can most likely get those too And it is very speedy after a Salac Boost. Priority moves and Sashers are the main conuters if Belly Drum has set up.

Earlier today, I was thinking of the move belly drum, and how awesome it is, I mean it can turn the game around in one move. Then I was thinking how fun it would be to make a belly drum team, I mean there would be no setting up of spikes or stealth rock, if you keep on maximizing your attack, and with some wish support it should be deadly. The basic set is: Sub, Belly Drum attack attack with salac.

Anyways here are the pokes that can belly drum:
Smeargle (Unlimited possibilities)
Politoad (Hypnosis and Belly Drum)
Poliwrath (Hypnosis and Belly Drum)
Linoone (Belly Drum and Extreme Speed)
Hariyama (Belly Drum and Bullet Punch)
Charizard (Most Common with Belly Drum and good speed)
Clefable (Charm, Softboiled and Belly Drum)
Slowbro (Belly Drum and Slack off)
Lickilicky (Belly Drum and Explosion!!!)
Azumarill (Belly Drum and in shoddy aqua jet)
Slowking (Belly Drum and Slack Off)

Most of these are slow and bulky, but some are fast. Belly Drumming is risky but with a huge payoff!!! So discuss!
you forgot poliwhirl, who has belly drum and hypnosis WHILE having more base speed than both poliwrath and politoed

Don't forget that Linoone has gluttony, which allows Berries to activate at 50% life.
IIRC Gluttony, Extremespeed, and Belly Drum are illegal together. Gluttony is a D/P trait while Extremespeed (IIRC) is an egg move from R/S/E.

IIRC Gluttony, Extremespeed, and Belly Drum are illegal together. Gluttony is a D/P trait while Extremespeed (IIRC) is an egg move from R/S/E.
So? Breed the Zigzagoon with ES, bring it up to DP, and evolve it. Pokes can change abilities after being transferred.

Nope, it's perfectly legal. Just hope that the trait turns into Gluttony. And ES is a Box move.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The most potent Drummers are Charizard and Linoone, but you HAVE to make sure that you've gotten rid of all Pritority attackers if you're running Charizard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)