#Stark challenges

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi guys, your resident Master Duck Administrator (MDA) of our official Pokemon channel, #stark, here.

We're going to be starting #stark challenges, which will reward temporary hops to the winner (or possibly other rewards). #stark challenges are basically just handicaps we put on players to see how high they can get on the proper leaderboard. The purpose of these challenges will be both to add a nice hint of "fun" to competitive pokemon while also hopefully inject some interesting poke-chat both here and in #stark. I'm also making this thread specifically to try and streamline the forums and irc chat, because it makes sense to have them connected in some manner.

I'm not going to set a firm schedule for these challenges, because they'll basically be happening at my discretion, but you can expect a challenge to last about 10 days and then a challenge to pop back up about 10 days later.

Anyway, here are the rules for the second #stark challenge:

http://pastebin.com/Rf6HgfHf

MAKE SURE YOU READ THOSE RULES. AGAIN...READ THOSE RULES!

I'll edit in the current alt list here once I get some people willing to play:

http://pastebin.com/Utk3fezU

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq85ef_6ZbR3dGhaRjhia3o0Zm5nTHhZdHZiUVB6dGc&hl=en

^those are the current CREs, updated whenever jumpluff feels like it

I'll have various purposes for this thread (such as deciding the next #stark challenge), but while a challenge is on-going, use this thread simply to discuss strategies / theorymon about what you would use.

We ran one last month, the "50/50" challenge, which was basically getting on the OU leaderboard with a team of Pokemon all outside of the top 50 in usage in OU.

Here are the rules and the final results of that:

Rules - http://pastebin.com/R7XZUN9V

Final Results - http://pastebin.com/CuSAhkXT

Since delta2777 was the highest, he was rewarded hops for about 2 weeks.

So, discuss monotype team strategies and see how far you can get!

also, obligatory whistle-satisfying link to main #stark thread:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66616

I would like to bring up that players do not cheat for obvious reasons, as this is to simply promote pokemon chat in #stark. For those who don't understand what "cheating" is, don't battle yourself, don't steal ppl's alt and battle yourself, and don't break the mono type rule. I know this is hard for some ppl to understand judging from the past few weeks of the OU Leaderboard.

Now, everybody have fun and try to visit #stark to join in our discussion! :D

So we have to make a mono team, not based on weather, and get as high on Shoddy's leader board as possible?

I'm just double checking. I don't want to mess anything up.

So we have to make a mono team, not based on weather, and get as high on Shoddy's leader board as possible?

I'm just double checking. I don't want to mess anything up.
You're free to use any type of weather excluding Rain.

Rain Dance will not be permitted on water monotype teams. However, if you have one part-Water type Pokemon on a monotype team that is of that Pokemon's OTHER type, such as Kabutops on mono rock, Qwilfish on mono poison, or Kingdra on mono dragon, you may use Rain Dance ONLY ON THAT POKEMON.

My prediction is that the highest team will have Heatran, Scizor, and Skarmory/Bronzong because I've been told Steel is the only mono team that can work without a wild card and Heatran, Skarmory, and Bronzong are the only Steels with an immunity to one of the things that Steels are weak to. Scizor will be there since it's the most used Pokemon in OU. I'd try this but I'm busy with the Nuzlocke Challenge and finals are coming up.

Even without rain, water is still one of the best monotypes

swampert and gyarados are obvious, but then you also have vaporeon/suicune, empoleon, kingdra, starmie, tentacruel, ludicolo (who really is not THAT bad), and random things like poliwrath and lanturn to balance out the team

EDIT: I don't think you would be looked down upon for running azumarril either

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I never got to ban whistle :(
Psychic, fighting, and steel monotypes have the best shot at winning imho.
Normal could win too if people had the balls to use it. As could Water and Dragon.

I think I submitted myself? But I'm a noob and I don't really know. oh well.

edit: apparently the alt toxicity already exists...

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Seems interesting. Unfortunately i have exams the incoming weaks so i can only participate on the next weekends.... maybe i'll try though.

Aldaron has made the ultimate taunt since I want to ban whistle very badly.
Also, anyone who uses mono fighting and wins will make me very happy.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Philliesfan24, not phillisfan24.

Anyway. I've found that mono dragon is really good in this. My team is Dragonite/Mence/Kingdra/Flygon/Altaria/Latias.

Anyway. I've found that mono dragon is really good in this. My team is Dragonite/Mence/Kingdra/Flygon/Altaria/Latias.
Watch out for mono-ice. lol

I was thinking mono-bug. Haven't tested anything, but maybe Butterfree/Scizor/Forre/Heracross/Shcukle/something/something.......

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Watch out for mono-ice. lol

I was thinking mono-bug. Haven't tested anything, but maybe Butterfree/Scizor/Forre/Heracross/Shcukle/something/something.......
Mono-ice is terrible, fyi. Still, I acknowledge I have a huge ice weakness, and that's what Kingdra is for - I also get the swift swim benefit against anyone using Rain teams.

When I was testing that team on another alt, in ~10 battles, I lost ONCE - the guy had a Weavile.

My current CRE with the mono dragon team is 1234. This team rapes.

Mono Flying will need Delibird. I was going to use mono-flying because all my favorite/a lot of good Pokemon are part flying. SR is annoying, and it makes it worse Delibird is the only one who get Rapid Spin.

I might make a team that takes advantage of fire attacks weaker in the rain for a Bug/Ice team.

Mono Flying will need Delibird. I was going to use mono-flying because all my favorite/a lot of good Pokemon are part flying. SR is annoying, and it makes it worse Delibird is the only one who get Rapid Spin.

I might make a team that takes advantage of fire attacks weaker in the rain for a Bug/Ice team.
Aerodactyl stops SR

My mono psychic is doing pretty well, despite its inherent weakness to several common types. I've got Azelf/Bronzong/Metagross/Latias/Alakazam/Jirachi. I thought about Celebi and Starmie, but decided that they add too many extra weaknesses, and I don't really need a rapid spinner since half my team is immune to spikes and half resists stealth rock. I'm currently at 1245 CRE which is actually not far below my standard team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)