Start Strategizing for the Spring Regionals! - Play! Pokemon Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looks like Pokemon's back with more articles. This one's a general description of teams that we'll be seeing at April Regionals. (Rain, Sandstorm, Trick Room, Goodstuff) Not a bad article for beginners, and it was a decent read. Check this for the original link, the article is also posted below.

Take a look at the kinds of teams you should expect to see at the Pokémon Video Game Spring Regional Championships.

Leading up to the big Pokémon Video Game Spring Regional Championships, it’s always helpful to know about the most common strategies—either so you know what kind of competition you can expect to face, or so you can get some fresh ideas of your own. The parties and strategies outlined here were popular during the Autumn Regional Championships, and they’ve remained in the spotlight as the European National Championships continue. But often it’s the truly original strategies that nobody else has considered that propel a player deep into the tournament. Take a look at these popular approaches, but also keep thinking about how you can put your own stamp on these tried-and-true strategies.

Rain Dance

A Trainer’s first thought may be to consider which moves to teach to his or her Pokémon, but in the case of Rain Dance, Abilities are what drive this team’s development. First and foremost, every Rain Dance team includes Politoed, whose Hidden Ability Drizzle will cause it to rain as soon as the Pokémon comes into play (although if Politoed faints, you’ll want some Pokémon who know the move Rain Dance to keep the rain falling). Then, Pokémon with Abilities that benefit from rain are added: Kingdra and Ludicolo are popular for their Swift Swim Ability, which increases their Speed stat when it rains, and Pokémon with the Dry Skin or Water Absorb Ability are sought, because when they get hit by a Water-type attack, they gain HP instead of losing it.

On that note, the most potent attack for a Rain Dance team is Surf. Surf is powerful and widespread, as it hits every other Pokémon on the field, including the user’s teammate. With the Dry Skin or Water Absorb Ability turning that damage into healing, you can hit both of your opponent’s Pokémon without worrying about hurting your own.

Rain Dance teams tend to lean heavily toward Water-type Pokémon, which makes them vulnerable to Grass types and Electric types. You’ll definitely want to consider a wild card that isn’t vulnerable to those Pokémon—and preferably one that has a type advantage over them. Also, Rain Dance teams have become so popular on the tournament scene that they’re not a surprise anymore. If you’re running a Rain Dance team, be prepared to face Wide Guard, a counter to your Surf attack that protects both of your opponent’s Pokémon.

Sandstorm

Sandstorm teams parallel Rain Dance teams quite closely, with rain-enabled Abilities and attacks replaced by sandstorm-enabled ones. With Sandstorm teams, it’s Tyranitar that sets the weather condition in motion with its Sand Stream Ability. Pokémon with the Sand Rush Ability, especially Excadrill, are common among Sandstorm teams, as their Speed doubles in a sandstorm. Garchomp is a popular choice to provide a lot of the offense, partly because it is an all-around strong attacker, but also because its Sand Veil Ability raises its evasion in a sandstorm, making it harder to hit.

All battles in the Championship Series are Double Battles, putting a premium on attacks that hit multiple targets. Sandstorm teams load up on Pokémon that know Earthquake and Rock Slide, partly because these teams are usually made up of Ground- and Rock-type Pokémon that don’t take damage from a sandstorm. When using Earthquake, you’ll have to consider a Pokémon that can weather a sandstorm and avoid (or at least minimize) damage from the devastating Earthquake, since it hits both sides. It’s not easy, but Earthquake’s damage will be worth the effort.

With their focus on Ground- and Rock-type Pokémon, Sandstorm teams have to watch out for Ice-type and Water-type attacks, so they are immediately vulnerable to Rain Dance teams. Training a couple of Water-type Pokémon that can be called in when the going gets wet will certainly pay off come tournament time.

Trick Room

A long-time staple of competitive play, Trick Room teams are easy to understand in theory, but can be mind-bogglingly difficult in practice. The Trick Room move reverses the attack order during a turn, making fast Pokémon attack last and slow Pokémon attack first—though it doesn’t affect the speed of individual moves (like Protect or Focus Punch). It’s clear to see how Trick Room can be useful: lead-footed Pokémon with a high Attack stat suddenly find themselves going first every turn, and if your Pokémon are powerful enough to deliver one-hit knockouts, going first is all that matters.

One popular attacking option for Trick Room is Dusclops, a decently powerful attacker with a painfully low Speed stat. When Trick Room is in effect, it hits fast and hard. Wondering why you’d use Dusclops instead of its evolved form, Dusknoir? For two reasons: Dusclops is a little slower (which means it’s faster when Trick Room is in effect), and it can benefit from an Eviolite, a held item that greatly increases a Pokémon’s Defense and Special Defense, but only if the Pokémon can still evolve.

Amoonguss is another staple of Trick Room teams, as its profile matches perfectly. Its Attack and Special Attack stats are excellent, but its Speed leaves a lot to be desired. Plus, Amoonguss can learn Spore, the only move that makes its target sleep 100% of the time, and Rage Powder, which forces opposing Pokémon to attack Amoonguss—very useful if your other Pokémon is using Trick Room that turn!

Trick Room gives you a lot of flexibility in the Pokémon you include in your party, as there are plenty of slow, hard-hitting Pokémon out there. Just be sure you have more than one Pokémon that can use the move Trick Room, because that’s what gives your slow Pokémon an advantage. If your only Trick Room user faints, you’re in for a long, slow battle.

Read and React

It’s easy to see a central theme in the previous three teams, whether they are built around a weather condition or a single game-changing move. But not all teams are so clear-cut. It’s possible to create a solid team that can counter a lot of other teams, while also finding matchups that capitalize on type advantages. These teams tend to be harder to use, as you have to spend more time considering your opponent’s next move in addition to your own, and you may have to use more turns switching your Pokémon in and out to create a favorable matchup.

Pokémon in Read and React teams are often the cream of the crop, at least for what is allowed in tournament play. Well-rounded attackers such as Metagross, Garchomp, and Thundurus are commonplace, picked not only for their individual strengths, but because they also offer protection for their allies. Earlier we mentioned that Amoonguss is popular for its Spore attack, and it may be even more popular here, because if your opponent’s Pokémon are asleep, you can switch yours without risking a hit on the way out.

The only real weakness here is the Trainer’s own knowledge and ability to concentrate. This is when Pokémon becomes like a game of chess, making you ponder every possible move you and your opponent could make, not only for this turn, but several turns into the future, too.

This list of teams is by no means exhaustive, but it should give you a better understanding of what players are thinking about leading into the Spring Regional Championships. Weather-based teams, speed-manipulation teams, and powerhouse teams are all popular, but putting one of these teams together shouldn’t be the end of your preparations. Remember that the top players look beyond their Pokémon move lists, considering elements such as Natures, Abilities, and held items to develop cohesive strategies.

The Pokémon Video Game Spring Regional Championships begin April 15th, so time is running out to build your team. Good luck to everyone who participates!

Dang. They're really looking to open up the world of VGC to people now!
But really. I need to get going on my team lol

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"Amoonguss is another staple of Trick Room teams, as its profile matches perfectly. Its Attack and Special Attack stats are excellent"

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Maybe it's just me, but "read and react" just sounds really awkward as a team style. I'll stick with my goodstuff, thank you very much. They also completely ignored sun and hail for some reason, even though Abomasnow at least is pretty popular.

But at least they're putting some effort into supporting the VGC now. It's nice to know they care.

"Amoonguss is another staple of Trick Room teams, as its profile matches perfectly. Its Attack and Special Attack stats are excellent"

"When Trick Room is in effect, [Dusclops] hits fast and hard."

I do appreciate these though, and I hope to see a good competitive turnout at the remaining N.A. regionals. Does anyone know if they've stepped up advertising for the spring events? I seem to be severely under-exposed when it comes to such things.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
An interesting read.

Maybe it's just me, but "read and react" just sounds really awkward as a team style. I'll stick with my goodstuff, thank you very much. They also completely ignored sun and hail for some reason, even though Abomasnow at least is pretty popular.

But at least they're putting some effort into supporting the VGC now. It's nice to know they care.
Probably ignored Sun and Hail because nobody won with those in November.

I am impressed they actually somewhat described the metagame. Being a HUGE fan of TR, and reading their descriptions, they feel a bit off. Amoonguss isn't exactly a "staple", while it's certainly good it definitely has numerous counters. Cress being on just about every TR team was not mentioned, oddly enough while Dusclops was. Don't get me wrong Dusclops can be a great guy, but is not toooo hard to play around.

"Read and React", they call it. The descriptions are somewhat appropriate, but Goodstuffs somewhat often have a lead combo they intend to use (put -Top at the end of it BOOM you have a combo). Cress is still not mentioned, despite being an option for every style of play.

So I guess real beginners can learn a good deal from this. Play each of these teams once or twice on PO or GBU, there goes the learning.

Cress being on just about every TR team was not mentioned, oddly enough while Dusclops was. Don't get me wrong Dusclops can be a great guy, but is not toooo hard to play around.
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what your point is. Ghost is great typing for setting up Trick Room due to its immunity to Fake Out. With Eviolite, it's literally impossible to OHKO Dusclops without an OHKO move or a crit from D Gem Latios. Dusclops is almost guaranteed to set up Trick Room, while Cresselia fears Fake Out and is weak to common Pokemon, such as Scizor and Yanmega. There's no reason for new players not to use the easier option so it makes sense. I'm not an expert on Trick Room but Dusclops seems like an obvious choice to me.

Dusclops is a cool Poke, but using him a bit magnifies his flaws. While he can set up TR, he can't hold Mental Herb to shrug off Taunt. Lack of solid recovery is an issue, Pain Split tends to get you to 66-75% when used on something with full health. Will O Wisp is crippling if it gets on to a physical attacker, yet the accuracy is shaky and it isn't hard to predict when it will get used. Dusclops can be an obvious sign of TR if other team Pokes are relatively slow, unlike Cress. They have relatively similar movepools. Cress likes to have a partner she can support, while Dusclops often needs a partner who can aid him with coverage and general damage output.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Dusclops is a pretty cool poster boy for TR though. Probably why they used him in the article. Everyone uses Cress as well, so maybe they're encouraging people to use something a bit different. It seems you want your TR setter to be perfect all round, which is a bit of an ask in my opinion.

It's nice to see these articles again though. Hopefully they'll get more people into VGC, which can only be a good thing. I reckon we'll get another set after Spring regionals. Will have to see which teams they pick for that if they do.

Amoonguss draws in Taunt. Guess Play! Pokemon knew what they were talking about. Pain Split makes Cress and other high base HP Pokemon easy to KO. Will O Wisp is great, deal with the accuracy. It's so bulky it can tank hits before it gets one off.

I'm honestly surprised with all the decent articles on the VGC this year. Usually they just covered each event with little specification on the metagame and teams. Now it looks like they want to increase the common knowledge of the averag VGC-goer.

Agreed, I'd like to see them move more towards the competitive side though. More player interviews/coverages (similar to the VGC Spotlight but official), battle videos for all the tournament matches (Not just the poor job they do, putting up random European matches this year on their official "pokemon" YouTube account, something more like last year. However, the one thing I didn't like about last year is that they only showed the last game in a bo3 series.), definitely more pictures and reports of tournaments in general (they take so many pictures and a total of like 2-3 end up on the website), etc.

Basically, more coverage of events! I always see a bunch of cool, unprofessional videos made of events after the tournaments are over, but the only one I've ever seen Pokemon make is the one for Worlds, and that's barely more than 2 minutes. They can definitely improve on this, but at least we're seeing a lot more coverage and articles than before! I really miss the old VGC website though, that was pretty incredible :'(

Yo Read and React sounds way better than Goodstuffs. Also, Dusclops is easier for beginners to use for TR. Ghost typing is so godlike.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
With all these articles about metagame, it makes you wonder how long it will be until they reveal that evs exist to the general pokemon public.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cool article, its great to see Nintendo advertising vgc in any form!

although its a little iffy in certain aspects, I'm sure they're just trying to keep it basic and also include Pokemon that people can catch more easily in their game.

hopefully we'll get a bigger attendance for spring (with more rain and sand teams I'm sure :P)

Yo Read and React sounds way better than Goodstuffs. Also, Dusclops is easier for beginners to use for TR. Ghost typing is so godlike.
This. I think it's great that they're actually trying to help people get into it this year. The stuff they said about TR might not actually hold up (Dusclops as an attacker lol), but this should make it a bit easier for beginners to get into the events. I think they did a good job with it.

This is a great step. VGC events will overall be better, and will be more likely to produce return competitors if they can at least learn a little about this kind of stuff before their R1 battle begins.

They mentioned Wide Guard in the Rain Dance section as well. It would be great if they did an article focusing solely on defensive moves. I've had to explain to many a person why so many VGC pokes carry Protect/Detect.

They need something to capture the essence of how dynamic double battles can be.

Kudos to them for NOT mentioning Bright Powder as an option for Garchomp.

With all these articles about metagame, it makes you wonder how long it will be until they reveal that evs exist to the general pokemon public.
Well EV's are mentioned in the video game guides. Not sure if by name but they at least mention training against certain Pokemon to raise stats. IV's would probably be much more interesting of news.

As for the article I thought it was decent. Nothing to fancy and has many little mistakes (Ammoongus has high special attack and attack? Lol what)

Edit
@Person Above; If they had a guide on defensive moves I would highly doubt they would know as much about why as people from smogon. Now only if someone from smogon could write the articles.

I really like how they are going further and further with the explanations about strategic pokemon!
Doesn't matter, that it's not 100% top-notch sometimes I don't see any huge mistake ^^

Yes, cool article I must agree. It is clear that TCPi wants to help out newer players and familiarize them with types of teams they will likely encounter at their respective regional tournament. Furthermore, they state:

"Take a look at these popular approaches, but also keep thinking about how you can put your own stamp on these tried-and-true strategies."
However, I'm not entirely sure this article is accomplishing its intended purpose. By supplying users with these common strategies, what are the chances that they will go out of the way to create something new? It seems to me that the average player is more likely to copy one of the three strait-forward strategies listed.

Lastly, the article goes on to talk about "Read and React" (I'm unsure I agree with the title, shouldn't you always be reading and reacting? They have the right idea though.)

Well-rounded attackers such as Metagross, Garchomp, and Thundurus are commonplace.."
Awesome, now TCPi is supporting a centralized metagame. While I do realize they are speaking the truth, they are also detracting from their statement that players should come up with their own creative strategies. I think that a simple guide of how to counter the common strategies would prove more effective for players who want to go far.

Looking at this article from a competitive players perspective, this is a great article. Now you won't have to worry about new players using unexpected strategies that may catch you off guard. Rain? Sand? TR? All easily picked up upon team preview and simple to break apart by an experienced player.

With that being said, I must praise TCPi for including the following:

The only real weakness here is the Trainer’s own knowledge and ability to concentrate. This is when Pokémon becomes like a game of chess, making you ponder every possible move you and your opponent could make, not only for this turn, but several turns into the future, too.
This is the type of thinking that often sets players apart. Sure, team building is a huge part of succeeding, but your thought process is arguably even more important. I would love to see them expand on this (though I realize the chances of that are even slimmer than the chance they mention EVs.)

In the video game strategy guides they had about one page about EVs.

Just saying (although they did bury the pages).

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The strategy guides were not written by TPCi itself, they simply licensed it to Prima.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)