Steam Summer Sale 2015

Anyone still care about these?? some pretty good deals today and the event is slightly more inspired than usual. Post your recs, snags, etc.

I'm prolly not going to buy anything today but Valkyria Chronicles is on sale at 75% discount, i.e. $5 (and it comes with the DLC built-in) and I cannot recommend this game enough for anyone who likes SRPGs. Its difficulty varies depending on how determined you are to break it, but it's a really well-made (it's fucking pretty for what it is, with a lovely art direction, good voice acting, and nicely-drawn maps) and innovative game with some stellar mechanics and great character movements. Unfortunately the plot eventually devolves into the most predictable and saccharine of JRPG fluff (which I cannot get enough of, I just feel obliged to mention it since I'm shilling this game), but it's actually pretty mature about war and interesting enough, even though it suffers at the end for its excessively individualist analysis. It's less centred on individual units and more centred on classes, weapon customisation, and perks, but all the non-main character units still have at least as much characterisation as they would get in a Fire Emblem game (even if it's not in the cutscenes), and I really enjoy this approach.

Does feature permadeath btw, but you can save a dead unit within three turns (easy) and chances are you won't lose anyone you're attached to. Also simultaneously rewards turncount minimisation, defeating lots of enemies, and defeating optional bosses. Level design is nicely diverse.

The approach to terrain and cover and environmental hazards is better fleshed out than the average SRPG and literally every class is useful at some point to justify levelling them (although Scouts are broken). I got like 60 hours out of this game without my achievement hunting (unfortunately the achievements are mostly just grinding lol). The action segments (and the fake action segments which are really just turn-based, like counterattacking and attacking units you spot, which are really great mechanics that reward good positioning) in every turn make the game feel a lot livelier. Literally the only mechanical complaint I have is that the game is opaque about accuracy (and I suppose the slow enemy phase).

Be prepared to sit through a lot of cutscenes, though. The game is really, really story-oriented.

I don't know how well potatoes run it but my computer is 7 years old and ran it okay off an external hard drive. Doesn't require a controller.

Also if you're obsessed with alt history/WWI and WWII tech you'll probably love this game.

edit: also I'm holding out for Kentucky Route Zero, RE4, Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna), TWD 400 Days DLC (yes its like $2.50 now but TWD will totally have a franchise sale so whatever), the newer Final Fantasy games, ME/ME2 (because I still haven't played them lolll), and anything on my wishlist that goes sufficiently cheap, 'cause I'm about to drop a heap of money on Final Fantasy XIV and its not on sale (fuck you Square Enix)

Last edited:

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good to hear since I bought Valkyria Chronicles an hour ago, if only this was just a little bit later so I'd have some money in the bank. Will have to restrain this sale!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Valkyria Chronicles has one of the unintentionally funniest stories I've ever seen in a video game. The gameplay is pretty good but there are ways to abuse it. I'd recommend it just for something different.

I normally restrict the amount of money I spend on games/music/books etc but I like to make an exception for steam sales. Main hope is for a big discount on Civ V, haven't played any Civ game before but I would love to try it.

XCOM and Mirror's Edge are pretty cheap right now, might pick those up

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
edit: also I'm holding out for Kentucky Route Zero, RE4, Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna), TWD 400 Days DLC (yes its like $2.50 now but TWD will totally have a franchise sale so whatever), the newer Final Fantasy games, ME/ME2 (because I still haven't played them lolll), and anything on my wishlist that goes sufficiently cheap, 'cause I'm about to drop a heap of money on Final Fantasy XIV and its not on sale (fuck you Square Enix)
Jesus, I didn't expect anyone to have not played ME anymore... :P It's really good. Good changes from ME1 to ME2 and ME3 tops it off (even if people whinge about the ending).

My store page was totally fucked yesterday, so I didn't even bother looking at deals, I'm UK and I had prices in USD, Roubles, Euros, "Py6" and "TL". I have no idea what either of the latter two even are... But it was so broken I gave up. I am amazed Valve never try to fix this issue with more servers, whenever a sale goes on, everything breaks for a good day before its actually usable.

Is anyone playing the Monster Game thing they have put up? I don't really understand it, it feels like cookie clicker but with enemies...

I normally restrict the amount of money I spend on games/music/books etc but I like to make an exception for steam sales. Main hope is for a big discount on Civ V, haven't played any Civ game before but I would love to try it.

XCOM and Mirror's Edge are pretty cheap right now, might pick those up
you will definitely get a good discount on Civ V, i got it pretty cheap last year. just hang out and it'll definitely be a daily deal and probably also in the encore sale.

also XCOM will definitely come back in the encore sale (is there gonna be one still?) if you're hesitant.

Valkyria Chronicles has one of the unintentionally funniest stories I've ever seen in a video game.
very fair

The gameplay is pretty good but there are ways to abuse it. I'd recommend it just for something different.
Yeah, I don't think it's that hard to figure out the most broken strategies either, but idk if I'm biased because I play a lot of SRPGs anyway (and the most broken shit is the same shit thats always broken in them)? But I think on a first playthrough if you don't look up shit the average player probably will try to use varied classes and since orders take awhile to earn/some of them are random the most broken stuff won't be immediately available. I think you have to kinda set out to break it, but it's not very hard to if you want to (until a certain character unlocks their personal perks and becomes broken without you even wanting them to, lol). It's not the easiest SPRG I've ever played and the uniqueness made up for a lot of the more steamrolly maps.

Jesus, I didn't expect anyone to have not played ME anymore... :P It's really good. Good changes from ME1 to ME2 and ME3 tops it off (even if people whinge about the ending).

My store page was totally fucked yesterday, so I didn't even bother looking at deals, I'm UK and I had prices in USD, Roubles, Euros, "Py6" and "TL". I have no idea what either of the latter two even are... But it was so broken I gave up. I am amazed Valve never try to fix this issue with more servers, whenever a sale goes on, everything breaks for a good day before its actually usable.

Is anyone playing the Monster Game thing they have put up? I don't really understand it, it feels like cookie clicker but with enemies...
haha I was exclusively a console gamer for most of my life and even when I began PC gaming like 5 years ago I had a lot of other shit to play so I just never got around to Mass Effect, even though it seems like it should Totally be my thing. I'm also kind of a patient gamer these days because spending money on expensive big titles is a waste for me when I'm usually bogged down in schoolwork and have a massive backlog anyway, so there's less of a rush.

The game is broken for me now fsr but I'm still earning cards from it so w/e :v

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good to hear since I bought Valkyria Chronicles an hour ago, if only this was just a little bit later so I'd have some money in the bank. Will have to restrain this sale!
are there not steam refund yet, you may still qualify.

also: always wait for a daily deal or flash sale for your game of choice, just because it's regularly discounted now doesn't mean it won't be discounted higher later.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
are there not steam refund yet, you may still qualify.

also: always wait for a daily deal or flash sale for your game of choice, just because it's regularly discounted now doesn't mean it won't be discounted higher later.
I dont really mind paying 5 bucks

I love valkyrie chronicles! My only pet peeve on the game was how the ranking system for each mission was solely based on speed of the mission clear, literally nothing else. A lot of the missions you can't get A+ rank unless you run across the enemy in plain sight and bum rush bases (as opposed to tactical safer play). The game otherwise was really great. I'm a real sucker for romance-esc storylines and the whole character to game interaction. I think stone got me to get it and next thing I know there's somehow 100 hours on the game.

If Age of Empires 2 goes on sale could someone highlight Da Letter El so that he can play with me.

Also anyone else who likes it should play with me too
I wouldn't mind, but it's been so long I'd probably end up sending a squad of cyber troopers and rocket-launching cars in your direction as I start loosing XD

(Seriously the cheat codes in AoE 1 and 2 are some of the best ever)

people who don't own audiosurf just buy it now, 2usd for a game that you will be able to play forever is a pretty damn good deal. I'm personally hoping for Cities Skylines and Black Mesa to get a good sale but I think they're too recent for that. If it goes on sale for really cheap I might finally pick up goat sim or something and I'm waiting for a flash sale of the fallout franchise. If by that time I haven't spent all the money I've been saving for the past month then I'll get hitman absolution as well.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I wouldn't mind, but it's been so long I'd probably end up sending a squad of cyber troopers and rocket-launching cars in your direction as I start loosing XD

(Seriously the cheat codes in AoE 1 and 2 are some of the best ever)
HOW DO YOU TURN THIS ON
HOW DO YOU TURN THIS ON
HOW DO YOU TURN THIS ON
HOW DO YOU TURN THIS ON

God that game was great

I'm kind of disappointed so far, the one big game I was thinking of getting (Shadow of Mordor) is more expensive than it was way back on Black Friday even when it's a daily.

Risk of Rain is a really good optional-co-op game that could best be described as a metroidvania roguelike, and it's on regular summer sale price below 4 dollars iirc. It's hard but excellent at hooking you in and providing enjoyment even if you're not experienced. If you're into unlocking tons of things, trying unique characters, and experiencing strength progression rivaling that of Goku, it is an excellent time sink. I'm going to play it again soon since it seems they've added two new characters since the game's release.

As for myself, I haven't really seen anything worth dropping money on yet until I can get a new rig, since I won't know for sure if things will run/not cause an overheat :/.

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i've picked up risk of rain, crypt of the necrodancer and prison architect so far. the latter two have been fantastic and i haven't played the first as of yet. crypt of the necrodancer has been delightfully fun and i really love the gimmick, and prison architect has been a joy to play thus far.
also, i recommend that people pick up rise of nations if it goes on a daily sale or, if not, whenever possible. it's an old RTS game that i grew up playing and i adore it. i'm still pretty rusty, though playing with others would be a blast.
i'm hoping broforce and spelunky end up being dailies before the sale ends - i've been really interested in playing them. i'm also holding out in hope that they put lego worlds on sale, though i doubt it'll happen
that's essentially what it is. usually whenever a new game starts i get on, redeem the bonuses i got as a result of defeating bosses in the last round of the game, and i return a couple of hours later to a lot of cash and most of the deals already unlocked. it's not exactly fun because it really is just clicking nonstop but it is what it is

Last edited:
HNNNNNNNG thank you for mentioning RE4 here. it's my favorite video game of all time, and I didn't know it was on Steam. picked up the 4/5/6 bundle for 23 bucks which is insane because i've spent probably about 100 bucks on the franchise in my life. also picked up audiosurf, never played it but for 2 bucks i mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)