Steelix [Singles]

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Steelix is more of a niche option in Battle Spot Singles, but it has the potential to be dangerous on a Trick Room team with Cresselia as a teammate, especially in a metagame filled with fast and frail attackers. It finds usefulness due to its ability to utilize Curse effectively, after which it is able to OHKO most Pokemon in the format, including Mega Kangaskhan and Garchomp.

While Mega Steelix does not have to worry about even super effective physical attacks, special attacks are unfortunately a major weakness. It cannot stand up to Water-type attacks like Hydro Pump and Scald or to Focus Blast. It also heavily relies on Trick Room to be effective and therefore only fits on one kind of team, with Cresselia as a mandatory partner. On top of that, it must use Curse before attacking, giving it only two turns of Trick Room in most situations. For these reasons, it faces heavy competition from Mega Mawile, which can still be effective when outside of Trick Room. However, Mega Steelix is still a very powerful Pokemon while under Trick Room and can even be used to counter opposing Trick Room teams that use Mawile.

[SET]
name: Curse Attacker
move 1: Curse
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
item: Steelixite
ability: Sturdy
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse is a great boosting move that increases Steelix's Attack and Defense and lowers its Speed. All three of these effects benefit Steelix: raising Attack directly increases the power of its moves, lowering Speed increases the power of Gyro Ball, and boosting Defense buys it more time to Curse again before it takes critical damage. Gyro Ball is the main STAB attack to be used. Because Steelix's Speed is lowered by Curse, Gyro Ball is usually at maximum power. After one Curse, it is able to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. Earthquake is a very powerful secondary STAB move and should be used primarily to damage Pokemon that resist Steel. Rock Slide and Stone Edge are options to nab Pokemon such as Talonflame and Thundurus that do not care about Gyro Ball or Earthquake. Stone Edge is more powerful, but it has a significantly greater chance to miss.

Set Details
========

You should want Steelix to be as slow as possible in order for it to fully benefit from Trick Room and Gyro Ball, so no Speed EVs and 0 Speed IVs are used. Instead, those EVs can be reallocated into HP to make Steelix as bulky as possible. 252 Attack EVs make Steelix as powerful as possible. Steelixite allows Steelix to Mega Evolve to Mega Steelix, granting a significant boost to its Attack and Defense. Sturdy and Sheer Force are the two options for abilities before Mega Evolution, as Steelix uses no recoil moves for Rock Head. While Sheer Force boosts the power of Rock Slide, Sturdy is generally the better choice, as it can be useful in a last Pokemon situation. For example, against a boosted Volcarona or Charizard, Steelix can take a hit and KO back. Most of the time, though, you will want to Mega Evolve Steelix straight away. Upon Mega Evolving, Steelix gains Sand Force. However, it is not something that can really be taken advantage of, as Tyranitar and Hippowdon are poor teammates that stack weaknesses. Finally, a Brave nature is chosen to increase Steelix's Attack while lowering its Speed to increase the power of Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

This Steelix set is more of a sweeper, as it needs the boost from Curse to start doing serious damage. However, in some matchups it can attack right away and be effective, such as against certain physically-based leads like Kangaskhan, Garchomp, and Mamoswine. Due to its low Speed, you should expect Steelix to take a hit before it can use an attack. It can take most physical hits comfortably, but it will get worn down over time, especially if it gets burned. However, if Cresselia has Lunar Dance, you can afford to let Steelix get worn down and then revive it and attempt a sweep in the late-game. Having Cresselia use Lunar Dance immediately after Trick Room to bring Steelix in is usually the best option since you will want to use Steelix under Trick Room, and if it seems Steelix is able to sweep, it ensures Steelix has enough health to set up. Curse is safer than it might seem at first; since it boosts Defense as well, it can give you more time to set up on physical attackers. Against a Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Salamence, do not be afraid to take one turn to get hit and then set up Curse, even if doing this uses a turn of Trick Room; one turn is usually all you need. However, Steelix cannot use Curse carelessly; only use it when you know it can pull off a sweep. If you are forced to switch Steelix out, it will significantly hurt your momentum. Nonetheless, once Mega Steelix has a Curse boost and is under Trick Room, it will be able to OHKO most Pokemon and pull off a sweep.

Team Options
========

Cresselia is an absolutely mandatory partner. It is a general defensive threat that has good synergy with Steelix thanks to its high defenses, good typing, and Levitate, making it able to come in on the Fighting-, Ground-, and even Water-type attacks that hit Steelix super effectively. It also sets up Trick Room for Steelix and gives it a free switch and healing with Lunar Dance, which is essential, as Steelix is easy to wear down over time. Both Technician and Poison Heal variants of Breloom are useful helpers to Steelix. Poison Heal Breloom can act as a status absorber in order to take random burns or sleep-inducing moves thrown at Steelix. Furthermore, Breloom can help take down Hippowdon and Suicune, which otherwise have a good matchup against Steelix. Technician Breloom trades the ability to absorb status in favor of the ability to exert offensive pressure. Serperior and Amoonguss are other Grass-types that have good type synergy with Steelix and can take down Hippowdon and Water-types. Amoonguss also enjoys having Trick Room around due to its low Speed. Lapras is a Water-type that is able to counter Suicune and Garchomp. Porygon2 is a good back-up for Cresselia, making the three-Pokemon team quite bulky. With Download, Porygon2 can also deal with Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Garchomp while also being able to set up Trick Room for Steelix. Sylveon's weaknesses are covered by Steelix, and in return it has high Special Defense to take hits aimed at Steelix. It can use powerful Hyper Voices to wear down the opposing team as well and can even benefit from Trick Room. It also has a lesser-used option, Safeguard, to protect Steelix from status as it sets up for a sweep. Mega Charizard X is a good idea for a backup Mega to replace Steelix in certain cases, as it has great synergy with the rest of Steelix's team options, such as Cresselia and Breloom. In Team Preview, Steelix tends to lure out opposing Water-types, which Mega Charizard X can usually capitalize on. It is also a good Mega to use if it seems that it will be difficult to set up Trick Room against the opposing team. Talonflame and Hydreigon are similar Pokemon that can be useful outside of Trick Room to act as stallbreakers with Taunt. Hydreigon can take care of Rotom-W and Hippowdon, while Talonflame can still be useful inside of Trick Room thanks to Gale Wings.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In Battle Spot Singles, Steelix really is not that flexible and does not have that many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Heavy Slam has more PP than Gyro Ball but is very much inferior, as it misses out on the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan. Steelix usually does not have to worry about being slow enough anyway, especially with Curse decreasing its Speed. Rock Blast is a way to beat Volcarona and Dragonite that have Focus Sash, but it is generally unreliable compared to Rock Slide. Fire Fang is an option to take down Scizor and Ferrothorn. Explosion can be useful if Steelix is about to go down, as it can take out Pokemon that do not care about Earthquake and Gyro Ball, such as Rotom-W. Non-Mega Steelix can use a Custap Berry set with Stealth Rock, but it is generally outclassed by other Stealth Rock users such as Skarmory, which can recover HP. Toxic and Rocky Helmet on a defensive set is also an option, but once again it is outclassed by Skarmory. However, Toxic on the Curse set over Rock Slide or Stone Edge is not a bad idea as it cripples defensive switch-ins, such as Porygon2, Cresselia, and Hippowdon. However, for the most part, Steelix is best used as a Mega Evolution in Trick Room, as this is much more effective than any of its alternative sets.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Defensive Pokemon**: Bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Gliscor can come in on Steelix's attacks fearlessly. Hippowdon can heal off the damage and passively hurt Steelix with Rocky Helmet, and Swampert can take it down with special attacks. Gliscor can wear Steelix down with Earthquake while using Substitute and Protect to stall out Gyro Ball's low PP. It can also nab Steelix with Guillotine if Steelix has Mega Evolved and lost Sturdy. Mega Venusaur, Mega Slowbro, and Porygon2 can also heal to stall out Steelix. Pokemon like Mega Venusaur, Mega Sableye, and Ferrothorn that can inflict passive damage on Steelix, such as burns or Leech Seed, are also major roadblocks. However, with Lunar Dance Cresselia, Steelix can be healed from this later on.

**Water-types**: Water-type Pokemon have to watch out for a boosted Earthquake, but if they can get a hit in they will severely damage Steelix. Bulkier Pokemon such as Suicune and Mega Blastoise can usually take a hit and attack back. Greninja is a threat outside of Trick Room, and Rotom-W has no reason to fear any of Steelix's attacks.

**Fighting- and Ground-types**: Although Mega Steelix can usually take two or three physical super effective hits, it will be eventually worn down. Pokemon such as Mega Heracross and Conkeldurr will be able to beat it in the long run. Defensive Rocky Helmet and offensive Swords Dance variants of Garchomp and Landorus-T will be able to take down Steelix as well. Garchomp can even use Choice Band for extra muscle to beat Steelix.

**Special Attackers**: Pokemon such as Mega Lucario, Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Volcarona, and Choice Specs Hydreigon can take out Steelix easily. Generally, whether or not these Pokemon counter Steelix depends on whether or not Trick Room is up. When Trick Room is down, these Pokemon greatly threaten Steelix. However, when it is up, Steelix can take care of most of them handily.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, this is ready for QC checks. Tagging QC team: cant say, bobochan, Demantoid, DragonWhale, NOVED, Psynergy

I think maybe I can break up the Checks and Counters section a bit because it seems to be a bit of an amalgamation.

And I'm not sure if Other Options should even have anything, because all of those ideas are awful.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey you forgot me Hulavuta :P. I'll give this a quick check before Landorus-T and TTar since Mega Steelix is pretty simple compared to those two!

-I'd mention somewhere (probably the overview) that something neat about Mega Steelix is that it beats the crap outta most Mega Mawile, which is always nice for a TR team imo, since Mega Mawile seriously hits the TR set uppers of this metagame!

-I'd change the Salamence Hydro Pump mention to Fire Blast, since Hydro Pump has been at around 2-3% usage for a while, while Fire Blast and Flamethrower have much higher usage.

-I'm not sure how to mention this, but since Mega Steelix has Sand Force, I think you need to make note of it somewhere. The issue is that TTar and Hippowdon aren't really good teammate for Steelix, since they double up on typing and Mega Steelix usually really wants TR set up, so TR mon + Steelix + sandmon can be really restrictive. Maybe just make a note somewhere on how its pretty hard to take advantage of Sand Force via you're own team, and that you're usually using it against you're opponent if they have sand on their team.

-Not even sure I'd bring up Sheer Force on Steelix, Sturdy is sooo damn good in emergencies against Charizard, Volcarona, and SD Talonflame among other things that I'd just talk about that.

-I'd mention Serperior as a teammate. They both share a Fire-type weakness which is a bummer, but Serperior is great against Water-types and Hippowdon, which is very useful for Mega Steelix.

-Ok this is a bit weird but since you brought up Lapras and its close to its usage in teammates (#7 as of checking this)... maybe bring up Amoonguss as a teammate. Amoonguss does really well against Water-types (most notably being an excellent Azumarill check), and it freaking loves TR with those fast ass Spores. Also don't mention this in the analysis, but Amoonguss usage has been rising lately (its actually #54 in usage atm), so we might want to watch out for that :P

-For Megazard X, I think those AAA Pokemon blog teams have MCX on them because Mega Steelix tends to bring the Water-types out, and MCX can really mess them up if it wants to. It's also a good Mega mon to use when you can't go in "Trick Room mode".

-Speaking of Trick Room, maybe mention Talonflame since its a fast Pokemon that can usually deal with Trick Room being up, which is great for when you run out of it. It's also teammate #8 this season (granted Malamar is right below it for some reason, I have no freaking idea whats up with that lol)

-For Other Options, heres what I'd mention: I'd keep Heavy Slam not because its any good, but because new people are often like "OMG HEAVY SLAM" since its so heavy, and we need to dispel that notion asap! Rock Blast is neat for screwing up Sash Volcarona, but its sorta unreliable otherwise especially since you're gonna Gyro Ball Dragonite anyways. Final thing would be Stealth Rock since in the past its gotten sorta high usage, and I think we need to make it clear that Mega Steelix needs to focus on caving in skulls, not providing support!

This might seem like a lot of stuff, but I think you get the basic gist of what Mega Steelix does (granted its pretty rare, most of what I know comes from Pokemon blogs with high rated teams and facing a few of those people lol). So otherwise...

QC Approved 1/3

Hulavuta

lol Theorymon sorry for not tagging you, I guess because your name was bold it looked different from everyone else's name...to make it up to you enjoy having your very own tag in this post

I'll implement these soon q:^)

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Either here or in usage tips you can say that Steelix lacks reliable recovery so it gets worn down rather easily by things such as Will-O-Wisp. And since Steelix will mainly function as a sweeper role, don't switch into attacks recklessly.

[SET]

Stone Edge has officially surpassed Rock Slide in usage, 68.7% vs 14.2%. This might be due to the fact that Stone Edge OHKOs offensive Thundurus prior to any boosts while even has a chance to OHKO bulky Talonflame after burn. Might want to consider slashing before Rock Slide, but that's up to you I guess.

Team Options
========

Hydreigon (7th in usage) is a solid partner for Mega Steelix, especially the stallbreaker set, walling Rotom-W and Hippowdon like no other. Meanwhile Mega Steelix can shrug off any Fairy-type STAB moves without too much trouble.

Checks and Counters
===================

Electric-types are fine I think. The special attackers you listed are fine also.

Defensive threats can be broken up more in addition to the bulky-Ground-types like Hippowdon and Gliscor:

Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Slowbro and Rotom-W can potentially burn you and there's nothing you can do. Suicune is the big offender here as it has a positive matchup against other defensive mons on your team and has Pressure, while all of Steelix's moves have rather low PP (16 max). (And yeah Swampert also.)

Burn inducers/Leech Seed with reliable recovery are your big enemies, these include Mega Sableye, Mega Venusaur, possibly bulky Talonflame but to a much lesser extent. Ferrothorn can also be annoying prior to any Curse boosts.

2/3

"You should want to be as slow as possible in order to fully benefit from Trick Room and Gyro Ball, so no Speed EVs and 0 Speed IVs."(apparently broke the quote thing)

I agree, but one tiny nitpick is should doesn't need to be in this sentence. idk if pointing out something that insignificant is appropriate or appreciated, but I mean well.:)

Umm, idk if I should even be posting anything here, but I think Fire Fang and Explosion should be mentioned in other options.

Fire Fang 2hkos Fero after Lefties without Leech or Protect, and ohkos at +2. Same kind of thing with Scizor. Still a lesser option for sure with EQ doing respectable damage to the vast majority of its targets, but that's why it'd be oo.

Explosion is awkward on the Curse set to a degree, but often you'll just want to sacrifice Steelix because it will die anyways, and Explosion even unboosted can take out a lot of stuff or make it easy to revenge kill. Boosted is crazy, as an example +1 Explosion ohkos physically defensive Rotom-w. While Explosion is extra prone to Ferro switches, it is't predictable so you at least don't have to worry about TTar or Mega Gengar switching in. Also you briefly mention Cutsap, and Explosion would most certainly find a place on that set...even if the set itsel shouldn't be used.

Anyways, good job. I'm sure many people wouldn't think of Steelix in this meta without an analysis for it

Last edited:

Hulavuta

"You should want to be as slow as possible in order to fully benefit from Trick Room and Gyro Ball, so no Speed EVs and 0 Speed IVs."(apparently broke the quote thing)

I agree, but one tiny nitpick is should doesn't need to be in this sentence. idk if pointing out something that insignificant is appropriate or appreciated, but I mean well.:)
um no it is not appropriate or appreciated I am my own person I will write the way I want to write THANK YOU VERY MUCH it is up to GP to decide not U

Umm, idk if I should even be posting anything here, but I think Fire Fang and Explosion should be mentioned in other options.

Fire Fang 2hkos Fero after Lefties without Leech or Protect, and ohkos at +2. Same kind of thing with Scizor. Still a lesser option for sure with EQ doing respectable damage to the vast majority of its targets, but that's why it'd be oo.

Explosion is awkward on the Curse set to a degree, but often you'll just want to sacrifice Steelix because it will die anyways, and Explosion even unboosted can take out a lot of stuff or make it easy to revenge kill. Boosted is crazy, as an example +1 Explosion ohkos physically defensive Rotom-w. While Explosion is extra prone to Ferro switches, it is't predictable so you at least don't have to worry about TTar or Mega Gengar switching in. Also you briefly mention Cutsap, and Explosion would most certainly find a place on that set...even if the set itsel shouldn't be used.
this is ok though I will put it in

Anyways, good job. I'm sure many people wouldn't think of Steelix in this meta without an analysis for it
exactly why it must be done

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Steelix is more of a niche option in Battle Spot Singles, but it has the potential to be dangerous on a Trick Room team with Cresselia as a teammate, especially in a metagame filled with fast and frail attackers. Its amazing defense and good typing allow it many good opportunities to set up with Curse, after which it is able to OHKO most Pokemon in the format.

While Mega Steelix does not have to worry about even super-effective physical attacks, special attacks are unfortunately a major weakness. It cannot stand up to water attacks like Hydro Pump or Scald, or to Focus Blast. It also heavily relies on Trick Room to be effective, and therefore only fits on one kind of team, with Cresselia as a mandatory partner. For this reason, it faces much competition from Mega Mawile, which is more effective when outside of Trick Room(mawile is usually better even in TR too, i would just change the end of the sentence to something like "which is generally more effective"). However, Mega Steelix is still a very powerful Pokemon while under Trick Room, and can even be used to counter opposing Trick Room teams that use Mawile.

-Another big downside to using mega steelix that i think should be mentioned here is that the main viable steelix set relies on Curse to be effective, this is usually counterproductive with TR because it wastes your turns which are already limited as it is because you spend at least one turn getting steelix in. i think this is the main reason that makes steelix a worse TR pick than other things like mawile and azu, because without setting up curse its just underwhelming.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse is a great boosting move that that increases Steelix's Attack and Defense, and lowers its Speed. All three of these effects benefit Steelix: Attack directly increases the power of its moves, lowering Speed increases the power of Gyro Ball, and boosting Defense can buy it more time to Curse again before it takes critical damage. Gyro Ball is the main STAB attack to be used. Because Steelix's Speed is being lowered with Curse, Gyro Ball is usually at maximum power. After one Curse, it is able to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. Earthquake is the secondary STAB that is also very powerful and should be used primarily to damage Pokemon that resist Steel. Rock Slide and Stone Edge are options to nab Pokemon such as Talonflame, Thundurus, and other Flying- and Electric-types, such as Rotom(i think you can just leave it at the first two for examples, you never really wanna go up against a rotom), that do not care about Gyro Ball or Earthquake. Stone Edge is more powerful, but it has a significantly greater chance to miss.

Set Details
========

You should (one tiny nitpick is should doesn't need to be in this sentence) want to be as slow as possible in order to fully benefit from Trick Room and Gyro Ball, so no Speed EVs and 0 Speed IVs. Instead, those EVs can be reallocated into HP to make Steelix as bulky as possible. This is more efficient than investing in Defense. 252 Attack makes Steelix as powerful as possible. Steelixite allows Steelix to Mega Evolve to Mega Steelix, granting a significant boost to its Attack and Defense. Sturdy and Sheer Force are the two options for abilities before Mega Evolution, as Steelix uses no recoil moves for Rock Head. Sturdy is generally the better choice; while Sheer Force boosts the power of Rock Slide, Sturdy can be useful in a last-mon situation. For example, against a boosted Volcarona or Charizard, Steelix can take a hit and KO back. Most of the time though, you will want to Mega Evolve straightaway. Upon Mega Evolving, Steelix gains Sand Force. However, it is not something that can really be taken advantage of, as Tyranitar and Hippowdon are poor teammates that compound weaknesses(although sometimes it might come in handy against them). Finally, Brave nature is chosen to increase Steelix's Attack and lower its Speed to help out Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

This Steelix set is more of a sweeper, as it needs the boost from Curse to start doing serious damage. However, in some match-ups it can attack right away and be effective, against certain physically-based leads such as Kangaskhan, Garchomp, or Mamoswine. Due to its low Speed, you should expect for it to take a hit before it can use an attack. It can take most physical hits comfortably, but it will get worn down over time, especially if it gets burned. However, if Cresselia has Lunar Dance, you can afford to let Steelix get worn down and then revive it and attempt a sweep in the late game. (i'd also try to mention that lunar dancing into steelix after using TR is generally the best play if it looks like steelix can sweep. even if steelix is at full getting it in freely with no damage can often be better than directly switching it in. plus you want to make the most of your TR turns, wasting them with cress also sucks)Generally, you will want to use Steelix under Trick Room. Curse is safer than it might seem at first; since it boosts Defense as well, it can give you more time to set up on physical attackers. Against a Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Salamence, do not be afraid to take one turn to get hit and set up Curse, even if it uses a turn of Trick Room. However, you cannot Curse carelessly; only use it when you know you can pull off a sweep(i'd also mention that one curse is often enough. one curse is usually enough to pick up important OHKOs[like kang, chomp, aegi] and wastes the fewest TR turns.). If you are forced to switch out, it will significantly hurt your momentum. But once Mega Steelix does have a Curse and is under Trick Room, it will be able to OHKO most Pokemon and pull off a sweep.

summary of what's here:
1. emphasize getting steelix in immediately and safely after TR is up
2. dont be greedy with curses

Team Options
========

Cresselia is an absolute mandatory partner. It is a general defensive threat that can take on most Pokemon that threaten Steelix. It has good type synergy as well, as it resists Fighting and is immune to Ground. It is able to set up Trick Room for Steelix and gives it a free switch-in and healing with Lunar Dance, essential as Steelix is easy to wear down over time. Breloom, both Technician and Poison Heal variants, are useful helpers to Steelix. Poison Heal Breloom can act as status absorbers to take random burns or sleeps thrown at Steelix (who is already immune to Paralysis and Poison) and can help to take down Hippowdon and Suicune which have a good matchup against Steelix. Serperior and Amoonguss are other Grass-types that have good type synergy with Steelix that can take down Hippowdon and Water-types. Amoonguss also enjoys having Trick Room around. Lapras is a Water-type that mostly fills the same role, but is able to also counter Greninja and Garchomp(it doesnt counter greninja, it dies to low kick. but im wondering if lapras is really even meta with Steelix. like its really an odd choice to have in an analysis mention. i get that lapras pops up in teammates under stats but you cant always trust the teammate stats for underused mons like steelix. it could very well just be some guy who likes using steelix and lapras all the time. like what is lapras doing specifically over other bulky waters?). Porygon2 is a good back-up for Cresselia, making the three-Pokemon team quite bulky. With Download, Porygon2 can also deal with the same Pokemon(i would list some example, specifically special attackers i think would be good) that Lapras deals with, and it can also set up Trick Room for Steelix. Sylveon's weaknesses are covered by Steelix and it can use powerful Hyper Voices to wear down the opposing team as well(mention it also benefits from TR. and with its high spdef its good against a lot of special attackers steelix has trouble with). It can also use a lesser-used option, Safeguard, to protect Steelix from status as it sets up for a sweep. Charizard-X is a good idea for a backup mega to replace Steelix in certain cases. It has great synergy with the rest of Steelix's (common) teammates(<- it sounds like you kinda just assume the team here, at the end of the day the teammates here are all just suggestions), such as Cresselia and Breloom. In Team Preview, Steelix tends to bring out Water-types, which Charizard-X can usually capitalize on. It is also a good mega to use if it seems that it will be difficult to set up Trick Room against the opposing team. Talonflame and Hydreigon are similar Pokemon that can be useful outside of Trick Room to act as stallbreakers with Taunt. Hydreigon can take care of Rotom-W and Hippowdon, and Talonflame can still be useful inside of Trick Room, thanks to Gale Wings.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In Battle Spot Singles, Steelix really is not that flexible and does not have that many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Heavy Slam has more PP than Gyro Ball, but is very much inferior as it misses out on the OHKO on Kangaskhan. Steelix usually does not have to worry about not being slow enough, especially with Curse increasing his slowness. Rock Blast is a way to beat Volcarona and Dragonite with Focus Sash, but it is generally unreliable compared to Rock Slide. Non-Mega Steelix can use a Custap Berry set with Stealth Rock, but it is generally outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, such as Skarmory, who can recover HP. Toxic is also an option, but once again it is outclassed by Skarmory(i actually think Toxic is a decent tech on the curse set, you would just use it over rock slide probably to deal with cress and p2. so i dont think it would be comparable to skarm). Trick Room is much more effective than any of its alternative sets, and using Steelix in Battle Spot Singles is already "other" enough so just stop worrying.
mention rocky helmet.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types** Although it can handle most Electric-types easily with Earthquake, Steelix does struggle against three prominent Electric-types: Thundurus, Zapdos, and Rotom-W. Steelix is unable to hit these three with Earthquake, and Gyro Ball is resisted, leaving Rock Slide or Stone Edge as its only option to hurt them. Thundurus can use Taunt to shut down Steelix's attempts to set up and Focus Blast puts a serious dent into it. As Thundurus is a high-momentum Pokemon, it can also come in and cause trouble for your team by forcing Steelix out time and time again. Rotom-W can burn Steelix or hit it with Hydro Pump. Defensive variants do not mind Rock attacks. If Zapdos has Heat Wave, it can use that to damage Steelix.
i reeally dont feel good about this section. especially how its called electric-types. for thund, FB is relatively uncommon and steelix is basically a counter to every thund without focus blast and not necessarily losing to every thund with FB either. it just doesnt feel right to have thund mentioned. zapdos feels kinda iffy too, but its more reasonable than thund, i think it could just be added to the defensive pokemon section. rotom-w of course is a great counter, i think it could be its own section or just added into a water-type section if you add that.

**Defensive Pokemon** Bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Gliscor don't really fear Steelix's attacks and can come in on them. Hippowdon can heal off the damage and passively hurt with Rocky Helmet, and Swampert can take it down with special attacks. Gliscor can wear Steelix down with Earthquake(and PP stall gyro balls), and can nab it with Guillotine if it has Mega Evolved. Mega Venusaur, Mega Slowbro and Porygon2 also can heal and eventually win out over Steelix. Pokemon like Mega Venusaur, Mega Sableye, and Ferrothorn that can inflict status on it, such as Burn or Leech Seed, are also major roadblocks. However, with Lunar Dance Cresselia, Steelix can be healed from this later on.

**Super Effective Attacks** Although Mega Steelix can usually take two or three physical super effective hits, it will be eventually worn down. Outside of Trick Room, powerful Fire-, Ground-, Water-, and Fighting-type attacks will do a lot of damage to it. Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X and Y, Mega Heracross, Conkeldurr, Swords Dance or Choice Band Garchomp, Choice Specs Hydreigon, Greninja, Lucario, Volcarona, and Heatran can all take care of it. Generally, whether or not these Pokemon counter Steelix depends on whether or not Trick Room is up. When Trick Room is down, these Pokemon greatly threaten Steelix. However, when it is up, Steelix can take care of most of them handily.
I honestly dont really like "super effective" type sections. idk how other QCers feel about this but i think its better to have multiple specific sections than trying to make the smallest amount of sections possible. like just look at how many fire types are here. you could focus on what ground types are threatening, specifically CB/SD chomp, and helmet lando could get added there too i think. water types would be really nice too since you could fit rotom-w in there and other things like suicune and BD azu. etc. for other types if necessary and maybe even a section for strong special attackers? when you're getting more specific there's many more viable things you could add i believe. plus i think its easier to soak in the info when its not just one big list like this.
here's some stuff

In the introduction when you say it can OHKO a lot of pokemon give some examples. Not obvious stuff like Heatran and Sylveon, but still notable things like Kang. In OO when you say toxic can cripple switch ins give examples, like cress, p2, and hippowdon. In team options when you talk about cress taking on stuff that threatens steelix, give examples.

3/3

In team options when you talk about cress taking on stuff that threatens steelix, give examples.
Idk if you misunderstood what i said here, but i meant to give examples of specific mons. You just reworded the sentence and kept it almost just as vague imo. What is being aimed at Steelix? There are lots of things in C&C that cress doesnt want to switch in on. Be more specific. Ik it might be obvious to you but this is for new players. And in the intro give another example with kang. Saying lix ohkos most pokemon in the format is a strong statement so it should have at least 2 examples i think.

Hulavuta

Idk if you misunderstood what i said here, but i meant to give examples of specific mons. You just reworded the sentence and kept it almost just as vague imo. What is being aimed at Steelix? There are lots of things in C&C that cress doesnt want to switch in on. Be more specific. Ik it might be obvious to you but this is for new players. And in the intro give another example with kang. Saying lix ohkos most pokemon in the format is a strong statement so it should have at least 2 examples i think.
Yes, I planned to change that segment to instead be about types of attacks rather than Pokemon. Apparently I forgot to actually put it in, so it is there now. k and I added Garchomp since he is #1 and gets OHKOd too.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Stamping Cryo GP 1/2

Mr. U Additions; (AC) = add comma
Cryo Additions; (AC) = add comma
Mr. U Removals; (RC) = remove comma
Cryo Removals; (RC) = remove comma
Mr. U comments
Cryo comments

Great job overall Cryo. Decided to stamp since you made a lot of really smart changes, some of which I missed when checking myself !_!

One thing to note though is that "you" is always used to refer to the player/reader, not to a Pokemon in question. Thus, something like "You should want to be as slow as possible" is incorrect since the player shouldn't want to be slow, they should want Steelix to be.

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Steelix is more of a niche option in Battle Spot Singles, but it has the potential to be dangerous on a Trick Room team with Cresselia as a teammate, especially in a metagame filled with fast and frail attackers. It finds usefulness due to its ability to utilize Curse effectively, after which it is able to OHKO most Pokemon in the format, including Mega Kangaskhan and Garchomp.

While Mega Steelix does not have to worry about even super-effective super effective physical attacks, special attacks are unfortunately a major weakness. It cannot stand up to water Water-type attacks like Hydro Pump or and Scald, (RC) or to Focus Blast. It also heavily relies on Trick Room to be effective, (RC) and therefore only fits on one kind of team, with Cresselia as a mandatory partner. On top of that, it must use Curse before attacking, giving it only two turns of Trick Room in most occasions situations. For this reason these reasons, it faces much heavy competition from Mega Mawile, which can still be effective when outside of Trick Room. However, Mega Steelix is still a very powerful Pokemon while under Trick Room, (RC) and can even be used to counter opposing Trick Room teams that use Mawile.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse is a great boosting move that that increases Steelix's Attack and Defense, (RC) and lowers its Speed. All three of these effects benefit Steelix: raising Attack directly increases the power of its moves, lowering Speed increases the power of Gyro Ball, and boosting Defense can buy buys it more time to Curse again before it takes critical damage. Gyro Ball is the main STAB attack to be used. Because Steelix's Speed is being lowered with by Curse, Gyro Ball is usually at maximum power. After one Curse, it is able to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. Earthquake is the secondary STAB move that is also very powerful and should be used primarily to damage Pokemon that resist Steel. Rock Slide and Stone Edge are options to nab Pokemon such as Talonflame, (RC) and Thundurus, (RC) that do not care about Gyro Ball or Earthquake. Stone Edge is more powerful, but it has a significantly greater chance to miss.

Set Details
========

You should want Steelix to be as slow as possible in order for it to fully benefit from Trick Room and Gyro Ball, so no Speed EVs and 0 Speed IVs are used. Instead, those EVs can be reallocated into HP to make Steelix as bulky as possible. This is more efficient than investing in Defense. (not sure if I like this sentence. Pretty curt, doesn't flow particularly well, and doesn't really give much explanation as to why Defense is less efficient) 252 Attack EVs makes make Steelix as powerful as possible. Steelixite allows Steelix to Mega Evolve to Mega Steelix, granting a significant boost to its Attack and Defense. Sturdy and Sheer Force are the two options for abilities before Mega Evolution, as Steelix uses no recoil moves for Rock Head. Sturdy is generally the better choice; while Sheer Force boosts the power of Rock Slide, Sturdy can be useful in a last-mon situation last Pokemon situation. For example, against a boosted Volcarona or Charizard, Steelix can take a hit and KO back. Most of the time, (AC) though, you will want to Mega Evolve straightaway Steelix straight away. Upon Mega Evolving, Steelix gains Sand Force. However, it is not something that can really be taken advantage of, as Tyranitar and Hippowdon are poor teammates that compound weaknesses. Finally, a Brave nature is chosen to increase Steelix's Attack and lower its Speed to help out Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

This Steelix set is more of a sweeper, as it needs the boost from Curse to start doing serious damage. However, in some match-ups matchups it can attack right away and be effective, such as against certain physically-based leads such as Kangaskhan, Garchomp, or Mamoswine. Due to its low Speed, you should expect for it Steelix to take a hit before it can use an attack. It can take most physical hits comfortably, but it will get worn down over time, especially if it gets burned. However, if Cresselia has Lunar Dance, you can afford to let Steelix get worn down and then revive it and attempt a sweep in the late game late-game. Using Lunar Dance Cresselia to bring Steelix in is usually the best option if it seems Steelix can sweep, as it saves valuable Trick Room turns. (remove period) ; (add semicolon) Generally generally, you will want to use Steelix under Trick Room. (how exactly does Lunar Dance save Trick Room turns over just switching Steelix in directly?) Curse is safer than it might seem at first; since it boosts Defense as well, it can give you more time to set up on physical attackers. Against a Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Salamence, do not be afraid to take one turn to get hit and set up Curse, even if it uses a turn of Trick Room; one turn is usually all you need. However, you Steelix cannot use Curse carelessly; only use it when you know you it can pull off a sweep. If you are forced to switch Steelix out, it will significantly hurt your momentum. But Nonetheless, (AC) once Mega Steelix does have has a Curse boost and is under Trick Room, it will be able to OHKO most Pokemon and pull off a sweep.

Team Options
========

Cresselia is an absolute absolutely mandatory partner. It is a general defensive threat that has good type synergy with Steelix thanks to its high defenses, good typing, and Levitate, making it able to come in on the Fighting- (add hyphen), Ground- (add hyphen), and even Water-type attacks that hit Steelix super-effectively super effectively. It also sets up Trick Room for Steelix and gives it a free switch-in switch and healing with Lunar Dance, which is essential, (AC) as Steelix is easy to wear down over time. Breloom, both Both Technician and Poison Heal variants, (RC) of Breloom are useful helpers to for Steelix. Poison Heal Breloom can act as a status absorbers absorber to take random burns or sleeps sleep-inducing moves thrown at Steelix (who is already immune to Paralysis paralysis and Poison poison) and can help to take down Hippowdon and Suicune, (AC) which have a good matchup against Steelix. (What about Technician?) Serperior and Amoonguss are other Grass-types that have good type synergy with Steelix that and can take down Hippowdon and Water-types. Amoonguss also enjoys having Trick Room around. Lapras is a Water-type that mostly fills the same role, (RC) and is also able to also counter Suicune and Garchomp. Porygon2 is a good back-up for Cresselia, making the three-Pokemon team quite bulky. With Download, Porygon2 can also deal with Pokemon such as Rotom-? (I doubt you mean just the base forme here, so which one(s)?) and Garchomp, (RC) and it can also set up Trick Room for Steelix. Sylveon's weaknesses are covered by Steelix, and in return it has high Special Defense to take hits aimed at Steelix. It can use powerful Hyper Voices to wear down the opposing team as well, (RC) and can even benefit from Trick Room. It also has a lesser-used option, Safeguard, to protect Steelix from status as it sets up for a sweep. Charizard-X Mega Charizard X is a good idea for a backup mega to replace Steelix in certain cases. It has great synergy with the rest of the Steelix's Team Options team options, such as Cresselia and Breloom. In Team Preview, Steelix tends to bring lure out opposing Water-types, which Charizard-X Mega Charizard X can usually capitalize on. It is also a good mega Mega to use if it seems that it will be difficult to set up Trick Room against the opposing team. Talonflame and Hydreigon are similar Pokemon that can be useful outside of Trick Room to act as stallbreakers with Taunt. Hydreigon can take care of Rotom-W and Hippowdon, and Talonflame can still be useful inside of Trick Room, (RC) thanks to Gale Wings.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In Battle Spot Singles, Steelix really is not that flexible and does not have that many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Heavy Slam has more PP than Gyro Ball, (RC) but is very much inferior as it misses out on the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan. Steelix usually does not have to worry about not being slow enough anyway, especially with Curse increasing his its slowness. Rock Blast is a way to beat Volcarona and Dragonite with Focus Sash, but it is generally unreliable compared to Rock Slide. Fire Fang is an option to take down Scizor and Ferrothorn. Explosion can be useful if Steelix is about to go down, as it can take out Pokemon that do not care about Earthquake and Gyro Ball, such as Rotom-W. Non-Mega Steelix can use a Custap Berry set with Stealth Rock, but it is generally outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, (RC) such as Skarmory, who which can recover HP. Toxic and Rocky Helmet on a defensive set is also an option, but once again it is outclassed by Skarmory. However, Toxic on the Curse set over Rock Slide or Stone Edge is not a bad idea to cripple defensive switch-ins, such as Porygon2, Cresselia, and Hippowdon. However, (AC) for the most part, (RC) is Steelix is best used as a Mega in Trick Room, as this is much more effective than any of its alternative sets. Using Steelix in Battle Spot Singles is already "other" "unique" enough, (AC) so just stop worrying about trying to be special. (this last sentence seems very fluffy; heck it feels kinda out of place :/)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Defensive Pokemon** Bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Gliscor don't really fear can come in on Steelix's attacks fearlessly and can come in on them. (pretty subjective change, but it shortens it a bit and I think it makes it flow better too) Hippowdon can heal off the damage and passively hurt Steelix with Rocky Helmet, and Swampert can take it down with special attacks. Gliscor can wear Steelix down with Earthquake, (RC) while using Substitute and Protect to stall out Gyro Ball's low PP. It can also nab Steelix with Guillotine if Steelix has already Mega Evolved it lacks Sturdy. (Cryo brought up that it's not really clear why exactly Steelix needs to Mega before it's vulnerable. I realized it's because of Sturdy, so I changed it accordingly to make it more clear) Mega Venusaur, Mega Slowbro, (AC) and Porygon2 also can heal and eventually win out over can also heal to stall out Steelix. Pokemon like Mega Venusaur, Mega Sableye, and Ferrothorn that can inflict status on it Steelix, such as Burn burn or Leech Seed (is Leech Seed really a status condition? :/), are also major roadblocks. However, with Lunar Dance Cresselia, Steelix can be healed from this later on.

**Water-types** Water-type Pokemon have to watch out for a boosted Earthquake, but if they can get a hit in they will severely damage Steelix. Bulkier Pokemon such as Suicune and Mega Blastoise can usually take a hit and attack back. Greninja is a threat outside of Trick Room, and Rotom-W has no reason to fear any of Steelix's attacks.

**Fighting- and Ground-types** Although Mega Steelix can usually take two or three physical super effective hits, it will be eventually worn down. Pokemon such as Mega Heracross and Conkeldurr will be able to beat it in the long run. Defensive Rocky Helmet and offensive Swords Dance variants of Garchomp and Landorus-T will be able to take down Steelix as well. Garchomp can even use Choice Band for extra muscle to beat Steelix.

**Special Attackers** Pokemon such as Choice Specs Hydreigon, Mega Lucario, Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Volcarona can take out Steelix easily. Generally, whether or not these Pokemon counter Steelix depends on whether or not Trick Room is up. When Trick Room is down, these Pokemon greatly threaten Steelix. However, when it is up, Steelix can take care of most of them handily. (any exceptions to be wary of?)

Last edited:
AMCHECK
Mr. Uncompetitve gave me permission to make this. They will combine mine with theirs.
remove add comments
[OVERVIEW]
Mega Steelix is more of a niche option in Battle Spot Singles, but it has the potential to be dangerous on a Trick Room team with Cresselia as a teammate, especially in a metagame filled with fast and frail attackers. It finds usefulness due to its ability to utilize Curse effectively,; (comma) (semicolon) after a boost which it is able to OHKO most Pokemon in the format, including Mega Kangaskhan and Garchomp.

While Mega Steelix does not have to worry about even super-(hyphen)effective physical attacks, special attacks are unfortunately a major weakness. It cannot stand up to water Water-type attacks like Hydro Pump or Scald, or to Focus Blast. It also heavily relies on Trick Room to be effective, and therefore only fits on one kind of team, with Cresselia as a mandatory partner. On top of that, it must use Curse before attacking, giving it only two turns of Trick Room in most occasions. For this these reasons, it faces much competition from Mega Mawile, which can still be effective when outside of Trick Room. However, Mega Steelix is still a very powerful Pokemon while under Trick Room, and can even be used to counter opposing Trick Room teams that use Mawile.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse is a great boosting move that that increases Steelix's Attack and Defense, (comma) and lowers while lowering its Speed. All three of these effects benefit Steelix: raising Attack directly increases the power of its moves, lowering Speed increases the power of Gyro Ball, and boosting Defense can buy it more time to Curse again before it takes critical damage. Gyro Ball is the main STAB attack to be used. Because Steelix's Speed is being lowered with Curse, Gyro Ball is usually at maximum power. After one Curse, it is able to OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. Earthquake is the secondary STAB move that is also very powerful and should be used primarily to damage Pokemon that resist Steel. Rock Slide and Stone Edge are options to nab Pokemon such as Talonflame, (comma) and Thundurus, (comma) that do not care about Gyro Ball or Earthquake. Stone Edge is more powerful, but it has a significantly greater chance to miss.

Set Details
========

You should want to be as slow as possible in order to fully benefit from Trick Room and Gyro Ball, so no Speed EVs and 0 Speed IVs. Instead, those EVs can be reallocated into HP to make Steelix as bulky as possible. This is more efficient than investing in Defense. 252 Attack EVs makes Steelix as powerful as possible. Steelixite allows Steelix to Mega Evolve to Mega Steelix, granting a significant boost to its Attack and Defense. Sturdy and Sheer Force are the two options for abilities before Mega Evolution, as Steelix uses no recoil moves for Rock Head. Sturdy is generally the better choice; while Sheer Force boosts the power of Rock Slide, Sturdy can be useful in a last-mon Pokemon situation. For example, against a boosted Volcarona or Charizard, Steelix can take a hit and KO back. Most of the time, (comma) though, you will want to Mega Evolve straightaway. Upon Mega Evolving, Steelix gains Sand Force. However, it is not something that can really be taken advantage of, as Tyranitar and Hippowdon are poor teammates that compound weaknesses. Finally, a Brave nature is chosen to increase Steelix's Attack and lower its Speed to help out Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

This Steelix set is more of a sweeper, as it needs the boost from Curse to start doing serious damage. However, in some match-(hyphen)ups it can attack right away and be effective, against certain physically-based leads such as Kangaskhan, Garchomp, or Mamoswine. Due to its low Speed, you should expect for it to take a hit before it can use an attack. It can take most physical hits comfortably, but it will get worn down over time, especially if it gets burned. However, if Cresselia has Lunar Dance, you can afford to let Steelix get worn down and then revive it and attempt a sweep in the late-(hyphen)game. Using Lunar Dance Cresselia to bring Steelix in is usually the best option if it seems Steelix can sweep, as it saves valuable Trick Room turns. Generally, you will want to use Steelix under Trick Room. Curse is safer than it might seem at first; since it boosts Defense as well, it can give you more time to set up on physical attackers. Against a Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Salamence, do not be afraid to take one turn to get hit and set up Curse, even if it uses a turn of Trick Room; one turn is usually all you need. However, you cannot Curse carelessly; only use it when you know you can pull off a sweep. If you are forced to switch out, it will significantly hurt your momentum. But Nonetheless, once Mega Steelix does have a Curse and is under Trick Room, it will be able to OHKO most Pokemon and pull off a sweep.

Team Options
========

Cresselia is an absolutely mandatory partner. It is a general defensive threat that has good type synergy with Steelix thanks to its high defenses, good typing, and Levitate, making it able to come in on the Fighting-(hyphen), Ground-(hyphen), and even Water-type attacks that hit Steelix super-(hyphen)effectively. It also sets up Trick Room for Steelix and gives it a free switch-(hyphen)(space)in and healing with Lunar Dance, which is essential as Steelix is easy to wear down over time. Breloom, both Technician and Poison Heal variants, are useful helpers to Steelix. Poison Heal Breloom can act as status absorbers to take random burns or sleeps-inducing moves thrown at Steelix (who is already immune to Paralysis paralysis and Poison poison) and can help to take down Hippowdon and Suicune, (comma) which have a good matchup against Steelix. (What about Technician?) Serperior and Amoonguss are other Grass-types that have good type synergy with Steelix that and can take down Hippowdon and Water-types. Amoonguss also enjoys having Trick Room around. Lapras is a Water-type that mostly fills the same role, and is able to also counter Suicune and Garchomp. Porygon2 is a good back-(hyphen)up Pokemon for Cresselia, making the three-Pokemon team quite bulky. With Download, Porygon2 can also deal with Pokemon such as Rotom-? (I doubt you mean just the base forme here, so which one(s)?) and Garchomp, and it can also set up Trick Room for Steelix. Sylveon's weaknesses are covered by Steelix, and in return it has high Special Defense to take hits aimed at Steelix. It can use powerful Hyper Voices to wear down the opposing team as well, and can even benefit from Trick Room. It also has a lesser-used option, Safeguard, to protect Steelix from status as it sets up for a sweep. Mega Charizard-(hyphen)X is a good idea for a backup mega Mega to replace Steelix in certain cases. It has great synergy with the rest of the Steelix's Team Options aforementioned team options, such as Cresselia and Breloom. In Team Preview, Steelix tends to bring out Water-types, which Mega Charizard-(hyphen)X can usually capitalize on. It is also a good mega Mega to use if it seems that it will be difficult to set up Trick Room against the opposing team. Talonflame and Hydreigon are similar Pokemon that can be useful outside of Trick Room to act as stallbreakers with Taunt. Hydreigon can take care of Rotom-W and Hippowdon, and Talonflame can still be useful inside of Trick Room, (comma) thanks to Gale Wings.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In Battle Spot Singles, Steelix really is not that flexible and does not have that many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Heavy Slam has more PP than Gyro Ball, but is very much inferior as it misses out on the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan. Steelix usually does not have to worry about not being slow enough anyway, especially with Curse increasing his its slowness. Rock Blast is a way to beat Volcarona and Dragonite with Focus Sash, but it is generally unreliable compared to Rock Slide. Fire Fang is an option to take down Scizor and Ferrothorn. Explosion can be useful if Steelix is about to go down, as it can take out Pokemon that do not care about Earthquake and Gyro Ball, such as Rotom-W. Non-Mega Steelix can use a Custap Berry set with Stealth Rock, but it is generally outclassed by other Stealth Rock users, such as Skarmory, who which can recover HP. Toxic and Rocky Helmet on a defensive set is also an option, but once again it is outclassed by Skarmory. However, Toxic on the Curse set over Rock Slide or Stone Edge is not a bad idea to cripple defensive switch-ins, such as Porygon2, Cresselia, and Hippowdon. However, (comma) for the most part, (comma) is Steelix is simply best used as a Mega in Trick Room, as this is much more effective than any of its alternative sets. Using Steelix in Battle Spot Singles is already "other unique" enough, (comma) so just stop worrying about trying to be special.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Defensive Pokemon** Bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Gliscor don't really fear Steelix's attacks and can come in on them. Hippowdon can heal off the damage and passively hurt Steelix with Rocky Helmet, and Swampert can take it down with special attacks. Gliscor can wear Steelix down with Earthquake, (comma) while using Substitute and Protect to stall out Gyro Ball's low PP. It can also nab Steelix with Guillotine if Steelix has already Mega Evolved. (Why? Because its Attack and Defense are too much for it to be stalled out at that point?) Mega Venusaur, Mega Slowbro and Porygon2 also can heal and eventually win out over Steelix. Pokemon like Mega Venusaur, Mega Sableye, and Ferrothorn that can inflict status on it, such as Burn burn or Leech Seed, are also major roadblocks. However, with Lunar Dance Cresselia, Steelix can be healed from this these later on.

**Water-types** Water-type Pokemon have to watch out for a boosted Earthquake, but if they can get a hit in they will severely damage Steelix. Bulkier Pokemon such as Suicune and Mega Blastoise can usually take a hit and attack back. Greninja is a threat outside of Trick Room, and Rotom-W has no reason to fear any of Steelix's attacks.

**Fighting- and Ground-types** Although Mega Steelix can usually take two or three physical super effective hits, it will be eventually worn down. Pokemon such as Mega Heracross and Conkeldurr will be able to beat it in the long run. Defensive Rocky Helmet and offensive Swords Dance variants of Garchomp and Landorus-T will be able to take down Steelix as well. Garchomp can even use Choice Band for extra muscle to beat Steelix.

**Special Attackers** Pokemon such as Choice Specs Hydreigon, Mega Lucario, Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Volcarona can take out Steelix easily. Generally, whether or not these Pokemon counter Steelix depends on whether or not Trick Room is up. When Trick Room is down, these Pokemon greatly threaten Steelix. However, when it is up, Steelix can take care of most of them handily (any exceptions to be wary of?) .

Hulavuta

Thanks boys, implemented them.

I kinda like the last line in other options, but I am not against taking it out if it really is not appropriate. EDIT: I took it out yolo

Everything else should be fine; there were quite a few comments so I added and changed stuff beyond the check, so hopefully they should be fine. This is ready for check 2.

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
AMCHECK:
This will not count as one of the two required checks unless it is stamped by an official GP member.

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Steelix is more of a niche option in Battle Spot Singles, but it has the potential to be dangerous on a Trick Room team with Cresselia as a teammate, especially in a metagame filled with fast and frail attackers. It finds usefulness due to its ability to utilize Curse effectively, after which it and after a boost it is able to OHKO most Pokemon in the format, including Mega Kangaskhan and Garchomp.

While Mega Steelix does not have to worry about even super effective physical attacks, special attacks are unfortunately a major weakness. It cannot stand up to Water-type attacks like Hydro Pump and Scald or to Focus Blast. It also heavily relies on Trick Room to be effective and therefore only fits on one kind of team, with Cresselia as a mandatory partner. On top of that, it must use Curse before attacking, giving it only two turns of Trick Room in most situations. For these reasons, it faces heavy competition from Mega Mawile, which can still be effective when outside of Trick Room. However, Mega Steelix is still a very powerful Pokemon while under Trick Room and can even be used to counter opposing Trick Room teams that use Mawile.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse is a great boosting move that increases Steelix's Attack and Defense and lowers its Speed. All three of these effects benefit Steelix: raising Attack directly increases the power of its moves, lowering Speed increases the power of Gyro Ball, and boosting Defense buys it more time to Curse again before it takes critical damage. Gyro Ball is the main STAB attack to be used because once .(remove period) Because (don't start a sentence with "because" unless it's "because of ...") Steelix's Speed is lowered by Curse, Gyro Ball is usually at maximum power. After one Curse, it is able to OHKO many Pokemon,(AC) namely Mega Kangaskhan (in the overview you said that Steelix can OHKO "most Pokemon in the format", and now in the detailed descriptions you mentioned only one. This change retains that point while putting emphasis on Kangaskhan). Earthquake is the a very powerful secondary STAB move that is also very powerful and should be used primarily to damage Pokemon that resist Steel (flows better). Rock Slide and Stone Edge are options to nab Pokemon such as Talonflame and Thundurus that do not care about Gyro Ball or Earthquake. Stone Edge is more powerful, but it has a significantly greater chance to miss.

Set Details
========

You should want Steelix to be as slow as possible in order for it to fully benefit from Trick Room and Gyro Ball, so no Speed EVs and 0 Speed IVs are used. Instead, those EVs can be reallocated into HP to make Steelix as bulky as possible. 252 Attack EVs make Steelix as powerful as possible. Steelixite allows Steelix to Mega Evolve to into Mega Steelix, granting a significant boost to its Attack and Defense. Sturdy and Sheer Force are the two options for abilities before Mega Evolution, as Steelix uses no recoil moves for Rock Head. Sturdy is generally the better choice;(remove semicolon) while While Sheer Force boosts the power of Rock Slide, Sturdy is generally the better choice,(AC) as it Sturdy can be useful in a last Pokemon situation (This flows better since your explanation of using sturdy was after mentioning sheer force). For example, against a boosted Volcarona or Charizard, Steelix can take a hit and KO back. Most of the time, though, you will want to Mega Evolve Steelix straight away. Upon Mega Evolving, Steelix gains Sand Force. However, it is not something that can really be taken advantage of, as Tyranitar and Hippowdon are poor teammates that compound weaknesses. Finally, Brave nature is chosen to increase Steelix's Attack and lower while lowering its Speed in order to help out increase the power of Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

This Steelix set is more of a sweeper, as it needs the boost from Curse to start doing serious damage. However, in some matchups it can attack right away and be effective, such as against certain physically-based leads like Kangaskhan, Garchomp, or Mamoswine. Due to its low Speed, you should expect for Steelix to take a hit before it can use an attack attacks. It can take most physical hits comfortably, but it will get worn down over time, especially if it gets burned. However, if Cresselia has Lunar Dance, you can afford to let Steelix get worn down and then revive it and to attempt a sweep in the late-game. Having Cresselia use Lunar Dance immediately after Trick Room to bring Steelix in is usually the best option since you will want to use Steelix under Trick room,(AC) and if it seems Steelix is able to Steelix can sweep, as it ensures Steelix has enough health to set up.(end sentence);(remove semicolon) generally, you will want to use Steelix under Trick Room. (this flows better) Curse is safer than it might seem at first; since it boosts Defense as well, it can give you more time to set up on physical attackers. Against a Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Salamence, do not be afraid to take one turn to get hit and then set up Curse, even if it doing this (it sounds like "it" is referring to Kangaskhan/Salamence) uses a turn of Trick Room; one turn is usually all you need. However, Steelix cannot use Curse carelessly; only use it when you know it can pull off a sweep. If you are forced to switch Steelix out, it will significantly hurt your momentum. Nonetheless, once Mega Steelix has a Curse boost and is under Trick Room, it will be able to OHKO most Pokemon and pull off a sweep.

Team Options
========

Cresselia is an absolutely mandatory partner. It is a general defensive threat that has good type synergy with Steelix thanks to its high defenses, good typing (otherwise its redundant. Of course Cresselia has good type synergy because of its typing...), and Levitate, making it able to come in on the Fighting-, Ground-, and even Water-type attacks that hit Steelix super effectively. It also sets up Trick Room for Steelix and gives it a free switch and healing with Lunar Dance, which is essential, as Steelix is easy to wear down over time. Both Technician and Poison Heal variants of Breloom are useful helpers to Steelix. Poison Heal Breloom can act as a status absorbers absorber in order to take random burns or sleep-inducing movesthrown moves thrown at Steelix.(end sentence) (who is already immune to paralysis and poison) (this is obvious - not needed) Furthermore,(AC) Breloom and can help take down Hippowdon and Suicune,(AC) which otherwise have a good matchup against Steelix. Technician Breloom trades the ability to absorb status in favor of the ability to lay offensive pressure. Serperior and Amoonguss are other Grass-types that have good type synergy with Steelix and can take down Hippowdon and Water-types. Amoonguss also enjoys having Trick Room around (maybe explain: because of its low speed?). Lapras is a Water-type that mostly fills the same role (as what?) and is also able to counter Suicune and Garchomp. Porygon2 is a good back-up for Cresselia, making the three-Pokemon team quite bulky (I would reword this. "Three-Pokemon team" is cheesy). With Download, Porygon2 can also deal with Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Rotom-H, and Garchomp,(RC) while also being able to set up Trick Room for Steelix. Sylveon's weaknesses are covered by Steelix, and in return it has high Special Defense to take hits aimed at Steelix. It can use powerful Hyper Voices to wear down the opposing team as well and can even benefit from Trick Room. It also has a lesser-used option, Safeguard, to protect Steelix from status as it sets up for a sweep. Mega Charizard X is a good idea for a backup mega Mega (consistent with the other times you wrote "Mega". If "Mega" is supposed to be lowercase, then change all of them to "mega") to replace Steelix in certain cases because.(remove period) It it has great synergy with the rest of Steelix's team options, such as Cresselia and Breloom (we don't need this to be two sentences). In Team Preview, Steelix tends to lure out opposing Water-types, which Mega Charizard X can usually capitalize on. It is also a good Mega to use if it seems that it will be difficult to set up Trick Room against the opposing team. Talonflame and Hydreigon are similar Pokemon that can be useful outside of Trick Room to act as stallbreakers with Taunt. Hydreigon can take care of Rotom-W and Hippowdon, and while Talonflame can still be useful inside of Trick Room thanks to Gale Wings.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

In Battle Spot Singles, Steelix really is not that flexible and does not have that many other options outside of the Trick Room set. Heavy Slam has more PP than Gyro Ball but is very much inferior,(AC) (if "as" is being used to mean "because", it must have a comma before it) as it misses out on the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan. Steelix usually does not have to worry about not being slow enough fast anyway, especially with Curse increasing decreasing its slowness Speed (the sentence was super confusing due to the double negative, and "decreasing its Speed" sounds better than "increasing its slowness"). Rock Blast is a way to beat Volcarona and Dragonite with that have Focus Sash, but it is generally unreliable compared to Rock Slide. Fire Fang is an option to take down Scizor and Ferrothorn. Explosion can be useful if Steelix is about to go down, as it can take out Pokemon that do not care about Earthquake and Gyro Ball, such as Rotom-W. Non-Mega Steelix can use a Custap Berry set with Stealth Rock, but it is generally outclassed by other Stealth Rock users such as Skarmory, which can recover HP. Toxic and Rocky Helmet on a defensive set is also an option, but once again it is outclassed by Skarmory. However, Toxic on the Curse set over Rock Slide or Stone Edge is not a bad idea to cripple since it cripples defensive switch-ins, such as Porygon2, Cresselia, and Hippowdon. However, for the most part, Steelix is best used as a Mega in Trick Room, as this is much more effective than any of its alternative sets. Using Steelix in Battle Spot Singles is already unique enough, so just stop worrying don't worry about trying to be special use its lesser options.
(Okay. This sentence is WAAAY to harsh and too demanding. For one, the reader might not be worrying about this anyway, so telling them to stop doing something isn't helping if they're not doing it in the first place. Also, this specific analysis shouldn't be telling the reader to stop doing something in their real life (in this case, worrying). Furthermore, the term "special" can be very discriminating since it has multiple meanings, many of which are used as insults, which I assume you are aware of. This change benefits the analysis. Telling the reader "don't worry about doing something outside the box" is much nicer and clearer than "stop worrying about being special".)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Defensive Pokemon**:(add colon) Bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon, Swampert, and Gliscor can come in on Steelix's attacks fearlessly. Hippowdon can heal off the damage and passively hurt Steelix with Rocky Helmet, and Swampert can take it down with special attacks. Gliscor can wear Steelix down with Earthquake while using Substitute and Protect to stall out Gyro Ball's low PP. It can also nab OHKO Steelix with Guillotine if Steelix has Mega Evolved and lost Sturdy. Mega Venusaur, Mega Slowbro, and Porygon2 can also heal to stall out Steelix. Pokemon like Mega Venusaur, Mega Sableye, and Ferrothorn that can inflict passive damage on Steelix, such as Burn burns or Leech Seed, are also major roadblocks. However, with Lunar Dance Cresselia, Steelix can be healed from this later on.

**Water-types**:(add colon) Water-type Pokemon have to watch out for a boosted Earthquake, but if they can get a hit in they will severely damage Steelix. Bulkier Pokemon such as Suicune and Mega Blastoise can usually take a hit and attack back. Greninja is a threat outside of Trick Room, and Rotom-W has no reason to fear any of Steelix's attacks.

**Fighting- and Ground-types**:(add colon) Although Mega Steelix can usually take two or three physical super effective hits, it will be eventually worn down. Pokemon such as Mega Heracross and Conkeldurr will be able to beat it in the long run. Defensive Rocky Helmet and offensive Swords Dance variants of Garchomp and Landorus-T will be able to take down Steelix as well. Garchomp can even use Choice Band for extra muscle ("power" does sound better but this is fine) to beat Steelix.

**Special Attackers**:(add colon) Pokemon such as Choice Specs Hydreigon,(RC) Mega Lucario, Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Volcarona,(AC) and Choice Specs Hydreigon can take out Steelix easily (otherwise, it sounds like all of the listed Pokemon are using choice specs. This change makes it clearer and doesn't alter much). Generally, whether or not these Pokemon counter Steelix depends on whether or not Trick Room is up. When Trick Room is down, these Pokemon greatly threaten Steelix. However, when it is up, Steelix can take care of most of them handily.

I'm pretty sure you need colons outside of those asterisks in the Checks and Counters section. Some sentences were confusing, and I feel that the changes clarified your points. But overall, aside from that one sentence, the analysis was pretty well-written.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

Thanks for the amcheck Fireflame479. Most of your changes were pretty good, so I put most of them in. Some subjective things were changed by you but not Mr. Uncompetitive, so I decided to leave them in unless the next GP checker agrees they should be taken out or changed.

As for the last line in Other Options, I don't know when you started the check but I had already taken it out this morning. I don't agree that it is harsh; I think it is pretty obviously just sense of humor, but it's not worth defending so I took it out anyway.

Otherwise, good job on the check, you spotted some important things. If a GP checker could go over it and make the final changes now, that'd be great. :heart:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the amcheck Fireflame479. Most of your changes were pretty good, so I put most of them in. Some subjective things were changed by you but not Mr. Uncompetitive, so I decided to leave them in unless the next GP checker agrees they should be taken out or changed.

As for the last line in Other Options, I don't know when you started the check but I had already taken it out this morning. I don't agree that it is harsh; I think it is pretty obviously just sense of humor, but it's not worth defending so I took it out anyway.

Otherwise, good job on the check, you spotted some important things. If a GP checker could go over it and make the final changes now, that'd be great. :heart:
Cool. I started checking it yesterday and then finished it today, so that's probably why that sentence was still there. The new sentence is really good though. But:
While Sheer Force boosts the power of Rock Slide, Sturdy is generally the better choice, can be useful in a last Pokemon situation.
You missed the "as it", which goes after the second comma. Right now the sentence doesn't make since.

Hulavuta

Cool. I started checking it yesterday and then finished it today, so that's probably why that sentence was still there. The new sentence is really good though. But:
You missed the "as it", which goes after the second comma. Right now the sentence doesn't make since.
Good call, I added that in.

Oh, and one more thing I wanted to say: I'm not sure if you are aware of it or not, but the reason I used "Three-Pokemon team" is because in this format, we literally use only three Pokemon in a battle. So it's not really supposed to be a cliche phrase for a core or so, but literally referring to the three Pokemon you bring to battle. So I thought it was appropriate to use here.

Kinda weird but this was bugging me earlier a bit.

You mention Steelix competes with Mega Mawile for a teamslot, but what about Mega Aggron? They have very similar stats, 70/ 140/ 230/ 60/ 80/ 50 for Mega Aggron to MegaLix's 75/ 125/ 230/ don't care/ 95/ 30, but Steelix's ability is hard to take advantage of, while Filter lets Aggropn take some surprising hits. Mega Kang's Adamant EQ for instance 3hkos 252/ 0 MNega Aggron, but Steelix takes a 2hko bar Curse boosts...which Aggron can also do.

Neither is specially bulky at all, and on that side Lix's higher stats are basically negated by Mega Aggron's Filter, so they're about equal. Technically Lix has just a teeny bit more physical bulk, but only in stats. Filter makes Mega Aggron bulkier on that side with how common physical fire, ground, and fighting moves are common. Attack Aggron wins, and while higher Spe means Gyro Ball isn't nearly as good, it has a very strong Heavy Slam to compensate. Low Kick makes up for not having STAB EQ, hitting Kang very well and stuff.

Aggron has Sturdy pre mega too. Honestly I feel like it is very similar to Steelix, and you should mention why you'd use Steelix over it. Umm...I hope I'm not bothering you...or at least that you agree anyways. You're really cool and I'd hate for you to think I'm a pest, but I think this is worth mentioning.

Hulavuta

Kinda weird but this was bugging me earlier a bit.

You mention Steelix competes with Mega Mawile for a teamslot, but what about Mega Aggron? They have very similar stats, 70/ 140/ 230/ 60/ 80/ 50 for Mega Aggron to MegaLix's 75/ 125/ 230/ don't care/ 95/ 30, but Steelix's ability is hard to take advantage of, while Filter lets Aggropn take some surprising hits. Mega Kang's Adamant EQ for instance 3hkos 252/ 0 MNega Aggron, but Steelix takes a 2hko bar Curse boosts...which Aggron can also do.

Neither is specially bulky at all, and on that side Lix's higher stats are basically negated by Mega Aggron's Filter, so they're about equal. Technically Lix has just a teeny bit more physical bulk, but only in stats. Filter makes Mega Aggron bulkier on that side with how common physical fire, ground, and fighting moves are common. Attack Aggron wins, and while higher Spe means Gyro Ball isn't nearly as good, it has a very strong Heavy Slam to compensate. Low Kick makes up for not having STAB EQ, hitting Kang very well and stuff.

Aggron has Sturdy pre mega too. Honestly I feel like it is very similar to Steelix, and you should mention why you'd use Steelix over it. Umm...I hope I'm not bothering you...or at least that you agree anyways. You're really cool and I'd hate for you to think I'm a pest, but I think this is worth mentioning.
Usually comments like these should be made earlier but I'll respond to it seriously anyway.

Mega Aggron itself is a niche Pokemon so I wouldn't really go far out to mention it giving competition to Steelix. Even still, Trick Room is a niche set even for Aggron, whereas Steelix only works in Trick Room. Just look at the usage stats: Steelix's #1 partner is Cresselia, whereas Aggron has Cresselia at #8. Curse is not in Aggron's top 20 moves which means that less than 1% of Aggron have Curse. So if you look at it, it's really a completely different niche. Steelix's main selling point is the OHKO with Gyro Ball. Mawile is mentioned because it's a mainstream option, so people will wonder "why not use Mawile?" and I have to address that. Aggron could technically be competition but it's not really ubiquitous like Mawile. Even you didn't think about it until a long time in. If there was maybe a section discussing competition, Aggron could be added. But right now it's just a short part of the overview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)