SM OU Sticky HO for the win

Shuckle.gif
kartana.gif
medicham-mega.gif
landorus-therian.gif
mimikyu.gif
blacephalon.gif

Well hello there, raters ! Here's some context before jumping into this team. I didn't play OU for a long time. I don't think I've really tried to play it seriously after USUM came out. I'm more of a LC player, and usually, when I build a OU team, I use it only for a couple games before dropping it. Or to be fair, when I shamelessly steal someone's OU team, I only use it for a couple games. But I decided to give teambuilding a try, and the result has exceeded my expectations. First : I'm still playing with this team, and it's been more than a couple games. Second, even though I'm not a really good player, this team took me higher than I've ever been on the ladder (which is around 1450, told you I ain't really good). So now I want to try to improve this team, so here we go !

Introduction

So, you saw the title, this is a sticky web hyper offense. HO is really the style I like the most, ever since I began playing on Showdown in Gen 6. First mon I picked was Kartana, which I really like. The idea of using a sticky web lead came afterward, and Shuckle was perfect for the role. Medicham is my pick as a mega, even though I considered Mawile for a while. I just like the fact that Medicham is faster (in case I lose Shuckle and the opponent Defogs), but I have to admit I also picked it because I barely tried it, and I was eager to do so. Then I added Landorus-T, because what's an OU team without a Lando ? Mimikyu and Blacephalon are the two last picks on the team. Mimikyu is here because I absolutely love it, and Blacephalon is here for... the same reason as Medicham. But it's been effective so far.

The Team
Shuckle.gif

L'Angoisse (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Infestation

As a Sticky Web setter, I really like Shuckle over anything else. At first, I tried to innovate from the standard Smogon set, by running a Focus Sash, Contrary and Shell Smash set, with Toxic over rocks. It was actually a rip off from a set I encountered while playing Godly Gift (when it was OM of the month) which destroyed me back then. But after a couple game, I understood how bad it was, and I went back to standard. Mental Herb allows me to set up the web even if my opponent leads with a Taunt user. Rocks come afterwards and are really useful to cripple Tornadus, which is a big problem for me. Infestation gets chip damage, but is not used very often. Finally, Encore is my preferred option, because I often come accross guys trying to setup on Shuckle. Encore allows me to get a clean switch in and start the killing.

kartana.gif

Barber Shop (Kartana) @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

I love Kartana. And I love the Choice Band set, which, once again, is not original at all. Leaf Blade is a powerful STAB and hits hard even on neutral targets. Knock Off is really gret. Sacred Sword can catch Heatran on the switch and Smart Strike is a very nice way to destroy Fairies. There's really not much to say about this set. It hits hard and can punch holes in opponents team, especially after a Beast Boost.

medicham-mega.gif

Dhalsim (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Usually, after Shuckle gets KO'd, Medicham is my pick to follow. Once again, nothing new about this set. Fake Out is very useful, typically when the web is removed. High Jump Kick and Zen Headbutt are two powerful STABs. Finally, Ice Punch is here to deal with Landorus-T and Tornadus, although for the latter it has to come on a prediction. Even after Intimidation, Ice Punch does 55.4 - 65.9% on an Impish 252 Def EV Lando, so that's a guaranteed 2HKO. So far, Medicham really feels like the MVP on this team, because it's been so reliable every game.

landorus-therian.gif

Le Kinge (Landorus-Therian) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Speaking of Lando, here's mine. The Rockium Z version, with Swords Dance. Obviously, Z-Stone Edge is here to deal with Tornadus if possible, but can also remove a lot of threats from the battlefield, especially after a SD. Earthquake is the main STAB, you all know what it can do. Finally, U-turn is a move I'm wondering about. Since more often than not, I will have the speed advantage on the opposing mon, using it would put another mon in trouble, since my team isn't really bulky. However, when I manage to keep Shuckle alive, pivoting into him is useful, either to take the hit that's coming or setup Sticky Web again.

mimikyu.gif

Ton meilleur ami (Mimikyu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

I love Mimikyu, and so do you who reads this RMT, that's why it is nickname "Your Best Friend". Once again, classic LO - SD set for this good boy. Disguise allows me to set up SD with ease (even though you have to be wary of the occasional Mold Breakers), and I actually like to keep setting up as long as Disguise is not broken. After that, if Mimikyu gets at +2 or +4, you're in trouble. Play Rough at +4 is a guaranteed OHKO on Chansey after rocks. Shadow Claw is also very good, obviously. Finally, Shadow Sneak, in combination with Medicham's Fake Out, really helps me dealing with levitating threats such as Tornadus or M-Lati@s.

blacephalon.gif

Disco Fever (Blacephalon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Finally, the mon I've been the most unsure about since starting this team : Blacephalon. Having a second Ghost-type in there was bothering me at first, but it turned out fairly okay. This monster is also my only Special Attacking pokemon. More often than not, I'm actually leaving it unused for the whole battle. More often than not, it's my first pick when I need to let a mon die in order to get a clean switch. But boy, when it gets an opportunity to shine, this thing is godly. With Choice Specs, and then with beast boosts, it can sweep six mons in six turns with ease, that's actually frightening. However, I don't think I've ever clicked HP Grass or Trick since playing this team, so maybe a change in the moveset is in order.

Conclusion
After all that... where should I go from here ? At around 1450, I believe I'll soon reach a spot in the ladder where I'll feel the difference between guys that truly know how to play and me. But since I really like this team, I trying to find ways to improve it. I was maybe thinking of putting a Choice Scarf on either Kartana or Blacephalon, so I can deal with faster levitating threats more easily. Maybe I should add another Special attacker in there, although I didn't really feel the need for it so far. At this point, my (limited) skills at Pokemon took me to a plateau, and I'm counting on you to help me get better ! Thank you in advance :)

PS : Also, sorry if I made English mistakes, I'm from France.

Hi bro thanks for dropping the cool looking team . I spent a good amount of time looking for mons that might give you problems, and at first glance one mon really stands out, heatran. Heatran is incredibly common in the current meta (when has it not been tbh ) and currently a lot of heatrans are running offensive which is even scarier for this kind of build, as it basically nabs a kill every time it comes in once lando goes down, and offensive lando doesnt really appreciate the chip. perhaps adding a heatran of your own to take the place of blacephalon would help you, it could even be your scarf user so you guaranteed take out opposing heatran ( or you could just run timid max speed and risk the ties) While it wouldnt have as much raw sweeping power as a specs blacephalon it would have the ability to beat a lot of checks and give consistant chip . (you will also have less to worry about pursuit t-tar hard walling blace) Personally i would reccomend a max speed timid set non choiced, because the ability to trap and kill toxapex would be really nice for your team.
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume

this is the set i would reccomend, lava plume is interchangable with the hidden power of your choosing (probably ice) but i like lavaplume for reliable fire stab since magmastorm misses loose games. One more thing i would reccomend trying is maybe a protean gren in place of landorus, its a really nice utility mon on HO gunk shot would be really nice to get rid of opposing Bulu's which also give your team problems, something like spikes u turn gunk shot and rock slide might be pretty useful, maybe even a toxic spike varriant, doesnt have the set up power of Landorus but adds speed and patches a hole, might be something fun to mess around with. Anywhoo i hope this helps and good luck on the climb up the ladder

Hey there Matt & welcome to OU!

This team is a pretty decent take on Sticky Web, but it is quite clunky in the sense that it allows your opponent to Defog for very little opportunity cost on multiple occasions, mainly due to the choiced Pokemon on your team. The goal of Sticky Web teams is to force your adversary into a situation where he has to pick between playing with Sticky Web on his side of the board or allowing you to boost your Pokemon while he spends his time getting rid of it. I'm going to list multiple changes that aim to accomplish just that.

->

Bisharp is pretty much synonymous with Sticky Web, and that for good reason. It is able to scare your opponent from clicking Defog with its sheer presence due to Defiant and has access to powerful priority in Sucker Punch allowing it to hit Pokemon immune to Sticky Web first. Additionally, on this team it is able to complete the infamous offensive Bisharp + Medicham ORAS core. The set I'd suggest is a simple SD set consisting of Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Iron Head and Swords Dance with the following EV's 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, an Adamant nature and Black Glasses as item.

->

Serperior is also a powerhouse for Sticky Web. It can boost via attacking, switch into Defog to boost its evasion and annoy or even single-handily beat bulkier teams combining its boosting power with SubSeed. The set would be Leaf Storm, Hidden Power Fire, Substitute & Leech Seed with 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe as EV's in order to be able to sub up against Rotom-Wash (Hydro Pump never breaks Substitute with the given HP EV's). The best item for this set is undoubtedly Leftovers.

->

With the absence of a Scarf user (and Sticky Web doesn't really want to dump momentum into one, except for maybe Landorus-Therian as he doesnt eat as much momentum) you require other ways to deal with boosting threats. Mimikyu on its own already does that pretty well because of its ability but Red Card takes that utility to another level, boosting its Atk while phasing the threat in question into another Pokemon which is now slowed by Sticky Web. Combined with the most clunky Sticky Web setter (Shuckle) I think this is a very welcome change for your team.

Change Mimikyu's nature to Adamant as it is already relatively weak and you really need the extra power, especially with Red Card as your item.

Change Infestation to Final Gambit. This allows you to pivot in the most dangerous threat against whatever Pokemon your opponent sent out while doing a bit (or quite a lot actually, depending on the situation) of chip damage.

(Optional) Consider changing U-turn to Rock Polish as it turns Landorus-Therian into an even more dangerous threat, able to outspeed Sticky Web immune Pokemon and Choice Scarf user.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Final Gambit

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough

Keep in mind that Sticky Web is not considered a top tier playstyle right now and it has plenty of matchups where little to nothing can be done to tilt them. However, with a bit of practice, Sticky Web can surprise your unprepared opponent and be effective because of its rarity, especially for ladder play.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)